Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Malibu

It's a magical place...discuss!

I love the Malibu Country Mart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 13, 2018 1:21 PM

Once nice - now crowded and Expensive. One road only PCH.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2018 7:06 AM

R1 there are escape roads in the mountains, like to Calabasas and the 101

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2018 7:15 AM

I hear the Mall is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2018 7:33 AM

How do you get to Malibu? Take PCH until you hit Ben Vereen.

(Who remembers that joke?)

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2018 7:37 AM

Caitlyn Jenner dwells there.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2018 7:41 AM

It makes me nervous how close the ocean has gotten to the shore. My friend showed my photos from his childhood there. You used to have to walk to the beach. Now it is right by the houses. So soon.......

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2018 7:50 AM

I got a really good tan there!

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2018 8:28 AM

Once a Los Angeles afterthought for an occasional date night oceanfront dinner at The Chart House or Alice's on the pier and modest frame homes on big lots with fire danger has given way to Bel Air / Beverly Hills by the sea. Except there is still fire danger, only 1 major road, rural without being tranquil except in certain spots and MAJOR feeling of entitlement by residents who now have moved here from somewhere else they wish to forget.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2018 6:58 AM

It’s astounding how quickly prices have escalated there. I was reading about Rock Hudson’s 1950s divorce settlement, in which his Malibu house was valued at, in 2018 dollars, the equivalent of $300k.

The days of affordability are long gone, not just in Malibu, but LA County in general.

On a side note, during my first trip to LA last fall, I was surprised that along PCH, from Santa Monica, through Venice, and up through Malibu, there was continuous development.

For some reason, I had always envisioned Malibu as this isolated town a ways drive from other cities.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2018 7:10 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2018 7:18 AM

Malibu is still a sleepy village. The residents have not allowed any chain hotels or large hotels of any kind to build there. I work in Malibu and it is lovely, although I occasionally worry about tsunamis or other natural disasters. A couple of times a year I can't get to work because of rock slides in the canyons.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2018 7:22 AM

Malibu is a Long ways from anywhere r9 except the beach traffic on summer weekends and commuter traffic using PCH the only main road causes congestion like being stuck in freeway traffic makes for stress. Sometimes people move back "closer in" due to commute time in car. There is still a southern California beach vibe unlike the rest of Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2018 7:22 AM

R10's black and white photo looks like circa 1950. School teachers used to retire to lots on the ocean with small homes. The price now would be upwards of 10 million dollars for a modest " tear down" house on the beach, maybe much more.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2018 7:26 AM

It's a bore!

I like to keep going, up to Neptune's Net and watch the surfers bob like seals.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2018 7:30 AM

[quote]I love the Malibu Country Mart!

It's just a mall in the open.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2018 7:46 AM

R15 they have the best Orange Julius and Panda Express there!

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2018 7:50 AM

Been there twice. Tried to like it. It just doesn't compare to East Coast beaches. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2018 9:13 AM

I've lived in LA for seven years and I've still not visited. I heard it's boring and it looks far away. I might stay there overnight just once at the Nobu Ryokan, but Malibu's kind of isolation isn't my thing.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2018 12:43 PM

I bailed a long time ago. But Cher's still there, that CRAY-zuh-bitch.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2018 12:51 PM

Does a gay scene exist in Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2018 1:32 PM

Hey what happened to the beach?

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2018 2:59 PM

The Sunday Farmers market is great. Super products, better than at local LA farmers markets and you see lots of celebs.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2018 3:10 PM

I’m listening to Stereolab.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2018 3:23 PM

Halle Berry's Malibu mansion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2018 3:38 PM

Curious how LA-er’s experience it. I ALWAYS go to Malibu every trip to LA (at least once a year). To me it is a key element of the LA experience. Yet so many of my LA friends, as R18 above, NEVER go. Some haven’t seen the beach in over a year! Strange - as I think of the beach as the main reason to live in LA.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2018 3:44 PM

A great comment on Yelp about the Malibu Farmer's Market. People are nice because they've already won the rat race.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2018 4:10 PM

I can think of worse places to be stuck in traffic without a spectacular view, like the Major Deegan in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2018 4:15 PM

If you're looking for a 'gay' beach, go to Santa Monica instead. Will Rogers (or "Ginger Rogers" as we call it) has a sizable gay crowd.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2018 5:32 PM

The Getty Villa (not the Getty Museum) is in Malibu and worth a visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2018 6:50 PM

I grew up there. Karden kindergarden, Malibu Jewish Center preschool, Webster, MHS....my whole young life was out there. Malibu used to be an ok place to live, but it's not anymore. Now it's full of second, third, fourth vacation homes. It's not the community it was when I grew up there. People don't know their neighbors anymore, small businesses that cater to full-time residents are going out of business (malibu lumber is gone, PHS plumbing, cosintino's flowers, and most restaurants that aren't chains can't survive out there anymore).

Plus when there's a single accident on the PCH, it takes hours to get to santa monica.

I live in NYC now, and my family has all relocated to nicer parts of California. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2018 7:00 PM

[quote]If you're looking for a 'gay' beach, go to Santa Monica instead. Will Rogers (or "Ginger Rogers" as we call it) has a sizable gay crowd.

Are you referring to just the part in Pacific Palisades? Is it as cruisy as it was in the '70s? I used to go to what is called "Sunset Beach" on google maps, at the end of Sunset Blvd, and there was always dick to be discovered during the day. At night, I went to the part at Ocean Park Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2018 7:08 PM

isn't there a university there?

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2018 7:21 PM

R32, Pepperdine, an incredibly beautiful campus but a Xtian one. Their womens basketball coach was fired when he told the team that lesbians were not welcome. Duh, lesbians in basketball. No wonder their team stinks.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2018 7:25 PM

at least they fired him.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2018 7:32 PM

R4 LOL

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2018 7:41 PM

[quote]I've lived in LA for seven years and I've still not visited.

[quote]Yet so many of my LA friends, as [R18] above, NEVER go. Some haven’t seen the beach in over a year! Strange - as I think of the beach as the main reason to live in LA.

One of the differences between New Yorkers and Los Angelenos is that NY-ers are endlessly exploring their own city.

NY-ers live WITH the city. Los Angelenos live IN the city.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2018 8:15 PM

I remember when your house cost $325,000, r19.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2018 8:18 PM

I stayed at a cute little motel in Malibu when I went there for my first Spring Break in college (this was in the 80s); it was cheap, they had a hot tub, and was pretty much in the middle of everything to do. One of the buddies I went with had a sister who married an older doctor and lived in the hills above Malibu with a gorgeous house, and when we stopped by to say hello she gave us champagne and a doob to smoke on the balcony overlooking the coast at sunset.

I forgot my new tennis shoes in the motel when we went down to Disney for a couple of days, and when we went back up to the same motel for two more nights, I asked if they'd found them, and the guy who owned the motel said "These?" and pointed at his feet, and sure enough... he took them off and gave them back to me. He brought me and my buddies some beers and joined us in the hot tub the night before we left to say sorry for wearing my shoes. In retrospect, he was coming on to us, but four naïve boys didn't have a clue.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2018 10:01 PM

From PCH the vast majority of the multi million dollar beach front homes are ugly as hell. Of course from the beach it's a different matter. But if I'm going to pay that kind of money for a house I would want it to look great no matter what side you're looking at. I much prefer the hills above Malibu. Great ocean views, tree lined roads, and relatively safe from a Tsunami (if you're high up enough).

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2018 10:51 PM

Never spent a full day there but try to make an effort to go to Malibu every time I'm in LA. It's a pleasant distraction from the city itself, at least for a few hours. I have a couple of friends who work in entertainment industry who live in Pacific Palisades, so we meet in Malibu for dinner, Bui Sushi, followed by some frozen yoghurt.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2018 11:01 PM

R34, they didn't let Weisenberg go because he was homophobic, it was because his coaching was terrible. They went 7-23 in his final season and 28-94 in four years. That's what you get for not recruiting dykes to basketball.

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2018 11:37 PM

R25, Those of us who live in LA's interior find it a chore to drive to the Westside, let alone Malibu, which only has one main road, PCH, to enter and exit. And since most of us have swimming pools, it's a lot more convenient to have a backyard bbq by the pool, then drive all the way out to the beach for a picnic.

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2018 12:41 AM

It's about the experience. Lounging by the pool is not the same as walking on the beach, especially west of Zuma, where you can walk for miles and be practically alone. It's a calming, recharging experience.

I suppose in the cities with easy access to nature people take it for granted.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2018 12:52 AM

I hear the plumbing is atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2018 1:15 AM

Malibu is still fairly, shall we say, white. The further south you go towards Venice the more ghetto it gets. But the Venice boardwalk can be more fun....in doses.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2018 1:17 AM

OP, your photo looks more like Laguna than Malibu

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2018 1:27 AM

PCH scares me.

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2018 1:30 AM

[quote]Malibu is still fairly, shall we say, white. The further south you go towards Venice the more ghetto it gets. But the Venice boardwalk can be more fun....in doses.

Venice is not adjacent to Malibu. There's this major city called "Santa Monica" in between.

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2018 1:33 AM

R48, Uh, what part of the further south you go didn't you get?

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2018 1:35 AM

R24 That looks like a monstrosity. Celebrities used to have nice beachfront homes there and could walk to another's home just by way of the sand. Of course that's probably all changed now.

Mick and Ronnie Wood in 1976 going to Tracee Ellis Ross birthday party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2018 1:36 AM

[quote] It's a magical place...

Well, it's no Tahiti.

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2018 1:37 AM

I live in Philadelphia. But, for many years I could afford to stay at the Malibu Beach Inn. But, not after the inn added a restaurant about a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2018 1:38 AM

I went to SM/Venice for a long weekend recently. Went to Getty Villa which was gorgeous but a real pain in the ass to visit - just getting in & out of the place, I mean. It was a Saturday morning and PCH was super busy - can't imagine what it must be like during the workweek.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2018 1:39 AM

The best time to visit is October.

by Anonymousreply 54May 28, 2018 1:44 AM

r49 Your implication was that you were going further south IN MALIBU towards Venice ... which would mean Pacific Palisades, then Santa Monica. Neither of which is particularly non-white.

by Anonymousreply 55May 28, 2018 1:47 AM

I swear, I thought R50's photo was of Laverne and Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 56May 28, 2018 2:01 AM

R55, the further south you go from Malibu, the less white it becomes. Malibu, Pali, SaMo, Venice.

by Anonymousreply 57May 28, 2018 2:06 AM

Yeah - PCH is a death trap. It’s a crime they do not have a divider on the road. Screw the view - it’s a major highway with tons of high speed traffic going in opposite directions within like a foot of each other. INSANEly dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 58May 28, 2018 2:15 AM

R58, You left out the part about all tbe curves along the highway. Reason why police catch so many DUI drivers on PCH is because their coordination makes it hard to stay between the lines on curves. Just ask Mel Gibson after leaving Moonshadows.

by Anonymousreply 59May 28, 2018 2:45 AM

[quote]PCH is a death trap.

You're telling me!

by Anonymousreply 60May 28, 2018 3:06 AM

i heard the 'bu doesn't have a sewage system and all the sewage goes into the ocean. I went many times to Zuma when I lived in LA but people thought I was crazy to drive "that far" I was like are you kidding it's the ocean and the ride is scenic. I never saw any celebs though.

by Anonymousreply 61May 28, 2018 3:29 AM

All live on septic tanks. Big issue out there.

by Anonymousreply 62May 28, 2018 3:46 AM

Did all the sand disappear from the beach in front of The Colony in the late 70s/early 80s storms?

by Anonymousreply 63May 28, 2018 3:56 AM

Besides fire danger rattle snakes in summer driving dangers and distances with PCH, exorbitant prices to live there, also surreal number of children like the 30 year old who parents can't get rid of who never leave home because they cant give up space prestige and free rent Malibu parents allow them in this isolated individualistic part of Los Angeles County.

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2018 3:57 AM

I don't really find Malibu to be so spectacularly beautiful that it would be worth the money. If I was going to live in a wealthy coastal enclave there are many other places in CA I'd pick before that one.

by Anonymousreply 65May 28, 2018 4:07 AM

R65 such as?

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2018 4:08 AM

I've seen celebs in Malibu at the Country Mart (Spielberg one time, and Pamela Anderson another time, plus others) . PCH is the only way in...from the Westside of L.A. From the Valley, there are the scary, windy canyon roads (Topanga, Las Virgenes, Kanan). Malibu's Broad Beach residents are trying to truck in sand from northern CA beach communities to return the beach and get the surf further from their houses. Paradise Cove is a favorite for the masses to have a special occasion beach destination to have lunch or spend the day at the beach w/ restaurant food and plumbed toilets a few feet away. There aren't enough places where one can do that in Malibu right on the sand.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2018 4:12 AM

R67 in the 70's when you drove past Broad Beach Road, the sand and berms were as wide as Zuma Beach behind beachfront homes. As this is on Northwest side of Point Dume it was mostly wealthy people's 2nd homes due to distance to Los Angeles or Santa Monica. Now almost no beach behind these gigantic hiused and prices in multi millions with homes at risk to flooding br sea.

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2018 4:36 AM

Malibu is supposed to have a lot of ghosts wandering around, if you believe in that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2018 4:55 AM

The 2010 United States Census reported that Malibu had a population of 12,645. The population density was 637.7 people per square mile (246.2/km²). The racial makeup of Malibu was 11,565 (91.5%) White (87.4% Non-Hispanic White),[71] 148 (1.2%) African American, 20 (0.2%) Native American, 328 (2.6%) Asian, 15 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 182 (1.4%) from other races, and 387 (3.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 769 persons (6.1%).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2018 5:00 AM

R69 probably pretty benign ghosts: Lauren Bacall & Rock Hudson having a catfight, about who gave Paul Newman a better blowjob the summer of 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2018 5:00 AM

6.0% is live in help in large houses.

by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2018 5:10 AM

A great story involving Malibu and aging hustler Scott Sloan:

So a few months later I got even. I had a bud visiting from Europe who was leaving and still had a pre pay cell he'd bought for LA, and THERE on RB was his ad again, diff name diff cell BUT he'd stupidly gone back to the photos he was using the first time he got me. (I saved them just in case) SO I made an appmnt with him using the phone my bud had left (he gave the same BS line about ALL he does oral n kissing blah blah) and offered him and xtra 200$ to come to "my place" at the tip of MALIBU lol. (for anyone who doesn't know LA from his dump to there is like driving from NYC to Philly lol. (I used a real address in case he checked, but it was a construction site of a house being built on the ocean nothing but beams lol.) He called me TWICE on the way there lol, saying he was late the freeway was jammed, then again almost an HOUR later saying he was finally on Pacific Coast Highway the LONNNNG rd that runs along the coast into Malibu lol, both times I said NP just get here when you can I'm waiting lol. Almost another HOUR went by before that phone rang again, but now I stopped answering it lol. OH it felt SO GOOD! It rang at least 20X! It's childlish I know BUT SO gratifying lol!

by Anonymousreply 73May 28, 2018 5:13 AM

R73, What was the Original story???

by Anonymousreply 74May 28, 2018 5:18 AM

Anyone else pissed about all the huge rocks they've brought in that you could crack your skull on?

by Anonymousreply 75May 28, 2018 5:28 AM

r36- my sister lived in Manhattan for 16 years and said the opposite- she said that you never leave your small neighborhood to go to the other boroughs. She lived in Chelsea, and when I told her I was staying with a friend in Washington Heights, she vaguely knew where it was. She just moved from there to San Diego (husband is in genetic research, and SD is the American hub for that).

by Anonymousreply 76May 28, 2018 5:31 AM

r31, this is where all the fit gay guys are, playing volleyball:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 28, 2018 5:41 AM

LA's whitest neighborhoods:

Malibu, California, 88.8%

Hidden Hills, California, 88.7%

Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, 88.6%

Topanga, California, 87.6%

Beverly Crest, Los Angeles, 87.5%

Westlake Village, California, 85.5%

Manhattan Beach, California, 85.5%

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, 84.9%

Hermosa Beach, California, 84.9%

Fairfax, Los Angeles, 84.7%

by Anonymousreply 78May 28, 2018 5:43 AM

We're looking for a vacation place in a warmer spot. Thanks for the tips!

by Anonymousreply 79May 28, 2018 5:45 AM

When I was in Malibu I noticed a steady stream of helicopters coming from LA to Malibu. Rich people don't DO traffic apparently.

by Anonymousreply 80May 28, 2018 5:55 AM

well, if you've got a helicopter pad on your roof I guess you don't need to drive PCH

by Anonymousreply 81May 28, 2018 5:59 AM

R71 damn Bacall was a rough 40. Her face lifts did her a hell of a lot of good i must say.

by Anonymousreply 82May 28, 2018 5:59 AM

R63, there's still plenty of sand in Malibu Colony, but during high tide and fierce storms, those ocean waves are right at your backdoor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 28, 2018 6:12 AM

Malibu Colony homes are packed so closely together though. It's like living in multi-family compound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 28, 2018 6:17 AM

I do not find the colony appealing at all. they're right on top of each other. plus, the ocean is right at your door.

by Anonymousreply 85May 28, 2018 6:18 AM

[quote][R36]- my sister lived in Manhattan for 16 years and said the opposite- she said that you never leave your small neighborhood to go to the other boroughs.

Your sister at the very least explored Manhattan. Most New Yorkers venture to other boroughs though. What NY-er hasn't been to the BAM or the Museum of the Moving Image? Or visited the Cloisters or Dia:Beacon?

NY-ers socialize outside. It's only natural that they are aware of events and happenings in the city as they use them as meeting places. That's really what I meant when I said that NY-ers live WITH the city.

by Anonymousreply 86May 28, 2018 6:25 AM

[quote]Malibu Colony homes are packed so closely together though. It's like living in multi-family compound.

Millions and millions of dollars to live there, and you have zero privacy. That wouldn't be appealing to me at all, I'd want a yard and some distance from my neighbors, for that kind of money.

by Anonymousreply 87May 28, 2018 6:41 AM

It does not look or feel like an easy going California Beach town anymore, the celebs ruined it. It was actually quite naturally breathtaking once, but those rich fuckers ruined it. Everyone hates Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 88May 28, 2018 6:45 AM

I once attended a party in a home on the outskirts of Malibu Colony. It was nighttime, so we couldn't see the ocean, but we could definitely hear the rumble of the waves crashing onto the pillars below, which made the deck we were on continually shake. I couldn't imagine living there, with the constant threat of ocean crashing into your home or washing away your deck and foundation.

by Anonymousreply 89May 28, 2018 6:49 AM

Speak for yourself R88. Everyone doesn't hate it, unless they are jealous Canoga Park cunts like you.

by Anonymousreply 90May 28, 2018 8:15 AM

R90, Malibu is Done as far as being a tranquil seaside village. Do you really find the Country Mart charming? Mish mosh of new money and old architecture.

by Anonymousreply 91May 28, 2018 8:21 AM

R91 old architecture????

by Anonymousreply 92May 28, 2018 8:22 AM

Isn't Barbra's compound in Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2018 12:47 PM

Well, I for one think it’s DREAMY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2018 1:15 PM

I've been to several parties in the Colony and have also spent a week at a beautiful place in Zuma. Even though the houses are on top of each other, the best houses are so large that you don't feel crowded....until you go outside. However, in the true irony, most residents don't go outside and almost never go to the beach even though its essentially their backyard. It's a view and a lifestyle. If it were me, I'd rather live in the Trousdale Estates.

by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2018 2:21 PM

"You call someplace 'paradise,' kiss it goodbye."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2018 2:30 PM

Wasn't Malibu Beach clothing optional at one time?

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2018 2:35 PM

R93, Barbra's estate is on a bluff overlooking Point Dume. High on a bluff is where I'd want my home, rather than right on the beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2018 2:49 PM

It's just so ... tragic.

by Anonymousreply 99May 28, 2018 2:52 PM

I don't want my weekend house right next to someone else's. I don't care if the houses on both sides of me are own by a celebrity douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 100May 28, 2018 2:54 PM

Barbra's estate is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 101May 28, 2018 3:13 PM

just like Hubbell's girl r101?

by Anonymousreply 102May 28, 2018 3:14 PM

r102 = Post of the Day

by Anonymousreply 103May 28, 2018 3:17 PM

That Eagles song is about Don Henley’s rage at Pepperdine University blocking his view or some such.

by Anonymousreply 104May 28, 2018 3:25 PM

Malibu is really quite magical. The views are breathtaking when driving up the PCH from Santa Monica on north/west on the right day (it is so rarely overcast, make that most days). You can park on the street and then crawl over the rocks to the ocean throughout parts of the Palisades - and it makes for a fun picnic spot. Also, Malibu does have a few public beaches as well. Is it the best of the best beach that Southern California has to offer? It all depends on what you are looking for. As much of a hike as it can be from BH and WEHO - Malibu is still way closer than Santa Barbara or Laguna Beach.

by Anonymousreply 105May 28, 2018 3:27 PM

I prefer Laguna. Even the oceanfront places (most of them) have city light views and you don't have cars driving 20 feet from your front door.

by Anonymousreply 106May 28, 2018 3:34 PM

It’s too cold for swimming, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 107May 28, 2018 3:37 PM

r107, there might be 1 or 2 weeks out out of the year where it is not, and when we have heatwaves, the water is welcoming. About 3 or 4 years ago, we had a magic summer where the water was warm for the whole season.

by Anonymousreply 108May 28, 2018 3:41 PM

Oh look. Barbra lives right next door to Steffy and Liam.

by Anonymousreply 109May 28, 2018 3:44 PM

R107 - well it really depends on your tolerance for heat and cold. The suns rays really beat down in Malibu, so for me the brisk cold water is a refreshing counterbalance. Florida oceans feel like a bathtub in comparison. If you like temps over 100 combined with really high humidity and literally hot water - then Florida is the coast for you. I assume this is why the state appeals to geriatric seniors who are always cold no matter what. What can I say? I prefer more temperate weather and colder water to offset the extreme sun rays and heat. But yes, many surfers wear wetsuits - particularly during the fall and winter months (which still are not all that cold in LA).

by Anonymousreply 110May 28, 2018 3:51 PM

R104 what song are you talking about (I know all the Eagles songs- I think)?

by Anonymousreply 111May 28, 2018 3:55 PM

Check out James Cameron's Malibu estate - you could house an army in that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 28, 2018 4:01 PM

Barbra's house is gorgeous. Absolutely perfect.

by Anonymousreply 113May 28, 2018 4:06 PM

[quote][R104] what song are you talking about (I know all the Eagles songs- I think)?

The Last Resort

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114May 28, 2018 4:39 PM

Has anyone been to Barbra's mall? There could be a Memorial Day sale!

by Anonymousreply 115May 28, 2018 4:46 PM

A friend let me stay at his Pacific Palisades home right on the beach and I was thrilled -- until I got there and absolutely NOBODY would come out and visit me there. Because it's a friggin' day trip, not something you can do on your lunch hour. It was lonely as fuck and I ended up driving into town every single day.

Plus everyone out there seemed angry as shit -- either because they didn't get what they wanted or because they got it and it didn't turn out to be as great as they expected.

by Anonymousreply 116May 28, 2018 4:59 PM

OP, I love Malibu. My mom’s best friend lived there and I was there all the time as a kid when we were in LA. I practically lived there every summer and when I got older, on weekends. I feel like it’s my second home.

The Farmers’ Market has fantastic produce on Sundays. Easy parking too.

I used drink HEAVILY at Gladstone’s, and ended up having a torrid affair with one of the bartenders there. Of course.

Fuck. I wish I were there right now. I plan on moving back to California in a few years when I’m done w/ school. I’ll either live in Santa Monica, or further up North, in Ventura County. No more inner city shit for me. Totally sick of WeHo.

by Anonymousreply 117May 28, 2018 5:09 PM

Some of those houses are no more than 5 feet off the PCH (at least the garages). I'm surprised more of those places don't get wiped out by drunks driving on the road, especially at night.

by Anonymousreply 118May 28, 2018 6:33 PM

I always wondered about Gladstone’s. I used to go there a lot whenever I visited and it’s such a perfect location - but it’s so run of the mill. Always thought it should be more fabulous because of the real estate. Which is fine - I like unpretentious places - but never quite made sense (kinda like dive bars in Manhattan - the rent would seem to dictate a more upscale, high end establishment)

by Anonymousreply 119May 28, 2018 7:17 PM

R118, yes, I've often wondered that too. Not to mention all that traffic noise. But, I guess the roar of the ocean drowns all that out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 28, 2018 7:29 PM

R119, Gladstone’s was really fun in the late 80s, early 90s.

I wasn’t even old enough to drink when I started hanging out there, but I drank, LOTS.

Anyhow, the only locals that frequented the place were the town drunks. Lots of cute guys. I had fun.

by Anonymousreply 121May 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Barbra's neighbors in Point Dume are Julia Roberts, McConaughey, Pink and Bob Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 122May 28, 2018 10:23 PM

When I lived in LA I used to drive all the way up to the secluded clothing optional Robert Meyer State Beaches almost on the Ventura County line during the warmer summer months. There were always hotties there looking to hook up behind the rocks, in the caves or in the water. Don't know if it's still like that.

by Anonymousreply 123May 28, 2018 11:36 PM

R78, speaks volumes, but too PC to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 124May 28, 2018 11:44 PM

"Predominantly," r124.

by Anonymousreply 125May 28, 2018 11:45 PM

r119 Someone told me recently that Gladstone's had lost their lease (apparently the property belongs to the city) and was going out of business. True? They used to have a location at Universal CityWalk, too.

by Anonymousreply 126May 29, 2018 1:17 AM

It was owned ( and may be still) by former mayor Richard Riordin. He bought The Pantry too.

by Anonymousreply 127May 29, 2018 1:24 AM

Apparently Gladstone's is in Pacific Palisades, not Malibu, and is on county-owned land. Here's a story about how it might be replaced with a Gehry-designed building.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 29, 2018 2:20 AM

I was in Malibu today. Crazy traffic. But a gorgeous day.

by Anonymousreply 129May 29, 2018 3:15 AM

Isn’t that where Mildred opened her first pie store?

by Anonymousreply 130May 29, 2018 4:02 AM

There are no actual private beaches, right?

by Anonymousreply 131May 29, 2018 5:09 AM

R130, Monte inherited house was at the beach. The chicken house was in a more urban area. She worked and worked and nothing was good enough for Veda. Ever. She slept with her mother's husband for God sakes and looked down on her.

by Anonymousreply 132May 29, 2018 5:11 AM

R131, All California beaches are public beaches, however, that hasn't stopped the well-to-do of Malibu from restricting public access to the beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 29, 2018 5:23 AM

Yes, all the beaches are public but in Malibu the tidal changes only allow for "beach" 24 hours a day in certain areas (many of the tony beach-front properties have sea water under the houses during high tide and are designed to do so with pilings, etc.). Most famously, the gated community of Malibu Cove Colony is hard to access from the public access points - it requires miles of walking to get to the prime addresses. So in essence, they own their own little slice of heaven. LOL

by Anonymousreply 134May 29, 2018 5:46 AM

An easy Malibu beach to get to is on PCH where Topanga Canyon dead ends. There's a large lot there (parking fee) or free parking on the highway shoulder. What sucks is there are some picturesque beaches in Malibu that have no restroom facilities, or awful port-a-potties.

by Anonymousreply 135May 29, 2018 6:50 AM

you've got the whole ocean to pee in

by Anonymousreply 136May 29, 2018 6:57 AM

There is an app called Our Malibu Beaches. It lists all the public access points.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 29, 2018 6:59 AM

Little Dume Beach is a surfer's beach and it's private which is why Sean Penn, McBongo, etc. go surfing there. Only residents of Point Dume have keys so no paparazzi.

by Anonymousreply 138May 29, 2018 5:17 PM

The entire California coast USED TO BE all public, but a recent decision has changed that (not in Malibu, however.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 29, 2018 6:31 PM

Its pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 140May 29, 2018 6:34 PM

At least IT has an excuse for the fishy smell, Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 141May 29, 2018 6:36 PM

R117 I feel like I want to fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 142May 31, 2018 5:58 AM

Is it correct that David Gergen lived next to a beach access path which he illegally tried to prevent people from using?

by Anonymousreply 143May 31, 2018 6:06 AM

R143 "Gergen" is the sound he makes when choking on teen cock. Geffen is his last name. But, yes....

by Anonymousreply 144May 31, 2018 6:12 AM

LOL! Now that was an autocorrect fail. Sorry bout that.

by Anonymousreply 145May 31, 2018 6:14 AM

R145 Geffen is my friend, but because this is anonymous board I'll say he's a predatory MONSTER. Block the beach, suck the pubescent cocks. He's a sociopath!

by Anonymousreply 146May 31, 2018 6:19 AM

I think he's the one who put a fake driveway and a fake garage door in the front if his house so people wouldn't park in front of his house. He also chained up the access path next to his house.

by Anonymousreply 147May 31, 2018 6:20 AM

He's a vile Jew. What do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 148May 31, 2018 6:28 AM

R147, I think he has 4-5 contigous housrs on PCH which incorporates Fake garage. He was allowed to put swimming pool for his house on the sand by giving Public beach access path along side of properties as I recall. That beach is called Billionaires Beach due to prices and famous owners who keep additional homes there.

by Anonymousreply 149May 31, 2018 6:32 AM

He sold his place in Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 150May 31, 2018 6:39 AM

R150 Good Riddance

by Anonymousreply 151May 31, 2018 6:40 AM

[quote]I think he's the one who put a fake driveway and a fake garage door in the front if his house so people wouldn't park in front of his house.

Ok, that made me laugh.

[quote]He also chained up the access path next to his house

But this is fucking criminal. Ordinary people drive for hours to spend a day at the beach and this is what he did? I hope he was fined, heavily.

He sounds like a villain from Pollyanna.

by Anonymousreply 152May 31, 2018 7:39 AM

R152 is Geffen dying of AIDS yet?

by Anonymousreply 153May 31, 2018 7:41 AM

Caitlyn and Sophia going into Malibu for their morning coffee run in the purple Porsche is simply fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 154May 31, 2018 8:09 AM

R154, DOUBLE MARY!

by Anonymousreply 155May 31, 2018 8:28 AM

I wonder how Caitlin earns her money for her Malibu lifestyle? He must have made out like a bandit in the divorce from Kris.

by Anonymousreply 156May 31, 2018 8:40 AM

Bruce Jenner made a fortune travelling the states doing promotional gigs and speeches for big corporations. He was quite wealthy when he married Kris, but he was exponentially richer by the time of the divorce. Not because of the KUWTK money, but because Kris, ever the savvy manager/promoter turned his motivational speaking gigs into gold.

I do not have any idea if or how much money was involved in the divorce settlement, but Bruce was very well set on his own.

by Anonymousreply 157May 31, 2018 8:52 AM

Odd to think he went from sports and golf to Halston and surgery. Still find it hard to wrap my head around the life he has lead. Children, marriages divorces sex change surgery Olympic and marketing fame, etc.

by Anonymousreply 158May 31, 2018 9:14 AM

The more I hear about Geffen, the more I think charities need to think twice before taking his money. Sounds like a ticking time bomb ready to explode a closet full of psychopathic behaviors and control of police and judicial systems - especially in LA. In any case, not a role model for young gay men like he was made out to be in the 90s. Most of those gay Mafia queens from the 80s/90s have turned out to be slimy, predatory, sociopaths whose true ugliness seeped out over time.

by Anonymousreply 159May 31, 2018 12:43 PM

Everyone has known Geffen's number for a long time. He is certifiably sleazy. He certainly has had his share of hot ass over the years though (rumored to anyway) - Mark Wahlberg back when he was still Marky Mark, a young Keanu Reeves, Seann William Scott, etc.

by Anonymousreply 160May 31, 2018 12:54 PM

I lived in Malibu for a year. It was wonderful. The view. The sound of the ocean while in bed at night. Left to save money. I want to move back someday.

by Anonymousreply 161May 31, 2018 1:19 PM

A few of those homes on the crowded beach have tennis courts. How fucking rude and thoughtless is that? You're just a few feet from your neighbor and you're going to bat a ball around? So typically self indulgent and trashy like new money is

by Anonymousreply 162May 31, 2018 2:17 PM

R162, between the traffic noise and the waves neighbors hear nothing.

by Anonymousreply 163May 31, 2018 2:52 PM

For Pete's Sake, how many times do I have to scream, "Clean up in aisle 3" before someone does something! Can't anybody hear me?! I built this damn mall do I need to mop the effing floors, too?!

by Anonymousreply 164June 20, 2018 7:36 AM

Cunts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 13, 2018 12:49 PM

Cunts live in Santa Cruz, as well, it appears!

The fact that ricch, old, white dudes are trying to keep Mexicans off what should be, and legally are, public beaches, is beyond precious.

I wonder why Santa Cruz is named after a Catholic saint, mainly worshiped by Mexican Catholics? Hmm 🤔???

by Anonymousreply 166July 13, 2018 12:54 PM

R165 I really can't blame them. Sorry, but when you spend that kind of money for a teeny little bit of ocean frontage, you don't want a bunch of god knows who 5 feet from your deck and back door. If it were a beach like they have in Santa Monica it would be completely different.

No one in FL thinks they own the beach front, because the beach is wide and open. That little bit of sand in Malibu can hardly be called a beach.

by Anonymousreply 167July 13, 2018 1:01 PM

R167, I can genuinely understand their point of view, however, if you want that kind of privacy, live a little bit more inland.

These beaches belong to the state of California. The residents can fight this until their dying day, and eventually, the state of California will win this. Reasonable people understand this, as do specific attorneys.

by Anonymousreply 168July 13, 2018 1:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!