Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any St. Elsewhere fans?

I loved this show as a kid. They always seemed to have trouble keeping female cast members though. I remember being mad when the had Shirley Daniels (Ellen Bry) become a murderer and leave the show.

and I was also shocked when they had Kim Miyori (Dr. Wendy Armstrong's character) commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 89September 30, 2020 9:13 PM

Ed Bagely Jr was best with cream cheese

by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2018 10:30 AM

I was completely obsessed with this show. I had the only TV in my fraternity and everyone was welcome to come over and watch whatever they wanted, except on Wednesday from 10 to 11.

So many great episodes, but some of the best included the dream study episode, the birth-life-death episode, the flashback episodes, and the AIDS episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 17, 2018 11:07 AM

Hufnagel on a half shell!

by Anonymousreply 3May 17, 2018 11:10 AM

One of the best shows on TV ever...

...until that incredibly stupid ending with the snow globe. In one minute they ruined years of excellence.

by Anonymousreply 4May 17, 2018 11:20 AM

And Mark Harmon in his sexy prime. Though he's aged well NCIS is boring as f

by Anonymousreply 5May 17, 2018 11:22 AM

[quote]I was also shocked when they had Kim Miyori (Dr. Wendy Armstrong's character) commit suicide.

Loved her line about constantly waiting for her life to start tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 6May 17, 2018 11:47 AM

St. Elsewhere was one of those "prestigious ", critically acclaimed dramas that won TONS of Emmys but at the end of the day was really just another 80s nighttime soap opera, ala Dallas and Dynasty

Of course it was NEVER referred to as one, oh no.

Hill Street Blues, Cagney and,Lacey, LA Law etc also fall into this categpry

by Anonymousreply 7May 17, 2018 11:51 AM

Wonder why it’s not in syndication?

by Anonymousreply 8May 17, 2018 12:05 PM

It used to be on WGN 20 years ago. I have VHS copies of most of my favorite episodes. I forgot to list one of those above...Fiscus in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 9May 17, 2018 12:08 PM

Poor r7.

by Anonymousreply 10May 17, 2018 12:19 PM

They got some really filthy gay references past the censors at times. I remember one about that fat nurse's husband helping his workers "pack the fudge."

by Anonymousreply 11May 17, 2018 4:11 PM

Ellen Bry barely worked again. didn't Cynthia Sikes quit because of a lesbian storyline?

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2018 2:25 AM

I loved Alfre Woodard.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2018 2:29 AM

IIRC, there was an episode in a later season with Howie Mandel in bikini underwear getting it on with a chick when his mother (who may have been Lainie Kazan) burst in the door.

I did love the show...I was a kid when it was on too. And yes, the ending was so lame.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2018 2:33 AM

Lainie Kazan did play Fiscus' mother. There is a heart-breaking episode (were there any other kinds with this show) where she volunteered at St. Eligius until the suffering of the patients got too much for her.

Why is this show not on DVD!!!???

by Anonymousreply 15May 21, 2018 1:46 AM

I received a signed cast photo from when I wrote a fan letter circa 1985. I’d kill to get the series on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2018 1:51 AM

Loved Dr Fishhandler.

by Anonymousreply 17May 21, 2018 1:56 AM

I'm sure I watched this show, but I believe my memories of it have been eclipsed by E.R.

by Anonymousreply 18May 21, 2018 1:57 AM

Loved this show, so many great characters and actors.

by Anonymousreply 19May 21, 2018 2:07 AM

I wanted (and still want) Terrence Knox inside me.

by Anonymousreply 20May 21, 2018 2:19 AM

It is a bit strange that it's so hard to find now considering Denzel Washington went on to become a huge star and it was a critical favourite.

I have the first season on DVD but it is another show that season one was issued but the rest wasn't. Maybe Shout could rectify that.

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2018 2:23 AM

Wasn't Terrence Knox named as the hospital rapist and attacked and killed by one of the nurses, only to find out the rapist was actually someone else? Or was it another character?

by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2018 4:54 AM

Is it not available on DVD?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2018 6:00 AM

It was great, and different from the other shows on at the time. A lead character was a rapist, then killed by a victim then turned up in the heaven episode, Eve and her heart transplant, Bobby Caldwell getting cut in the face, then got AIDS, Boomber being raped, Mark Craigs kids dying, it rocked, still think of it often. And loved the end, it was so nutso and set up the whole 'Tommy Westphall Universe' theory

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2018 6:10 AM

[quote]Why is this show not on DVD!!!???

No Brand-Falsey show except Northern Exposure is available on DVD. I'm still waiting for A Year in the Life and I'll Fly Away.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2018 10:00 AM

Some seasons seem to be on youtube

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2018 10:08 AM

Loved this show when I was young. I wish it would go to Netflix or Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2018 10:13 AM

Does anyone know anyone who could get these two to release their shows on DVD, Netflix, Amazon, whatever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2018 10:18 AM

someone call Gwyneth and get her to work on it

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2018 10:24 AM

I'll bet Gwynnie would stop at St. Elsewhere, though, and do nothing for I'll Fly Away and A Year in the Life.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2018 10:29 AM

Fiscus. That's Jewish, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2018 10:42 AM

r14

There is also an episode where Howie poses for some hunky doctor of the month photos in bikini underwear. Then he keeps getting calls at the hospital for dates.........from men.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2018 10:47 AM

had my first orgasm over that hot young doctor, well there were several.....GREAT SHOW

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2018 11:51 AM

Remember the classic episode where a John Doe with amnesia thinks he's Mary Richards? And recognizes Betty White (playing a different character) as Sue Ann?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2018 3:31 PM

People scoff at the finale of the show, but over the years the show was consistent for top notch acting, directing, and writing. It really was quality television...which is why it would never work today.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2018 3:51 PM

Exactly, R35. The circumstances that made this show possible just don't exist anymore. Network TV is no longer willing to take risks on shows like this.

Between this and [italic]Hill Street Blues[/italic], MTM Productions really raised the bar for dramatic network TV. They thought lightning would strike three times when they created [italic]Bay City Blues[/italic], which applied the same principles to a baseball team, but it flopped.

Without Grant Tinker at the helm, they literally had no hit shows after this, [italic]Newhart[/italic], and [italic]Remington Steele[/italic]. It's sad that one of the all-time great independent TV producers ended up in the hands of the despicable Pat Robertson. Now it and the rest of their back catalog is owned by Disney, which scares me for different reasons.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2019 5:24 AM

Grant Tinker worked for Pat Robertson? Is that what you are saying r36?

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2019 5:32 AM

No. Sorry I didn't word it more clearly. In 1988, the same year this show went off the air, MTM Productions was sold to an English company called TVX, who later sold it to International Family Entertainment, Robertson's company. It was they who let the music rights licenses lapse on this and other shows. That's why we got stuck with legendarily terrible music substitutions on [italic]WKRP in Cincinnati[/italic] reruns for almost 20 years until Shout! Factory bit the bullet and cleared as much as possible for DVD. I was hoping they'd come to this show's rescue before The Mouse ate it.

by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2019 5:35 AM

At least they didn't manage to lose all trace of it like they did with the last season of [italic]Lou Grant[/italic]. That actually disappeared from the Fox vaults despite having been in reruns on A&E or some such cable network during the IFE era, and Shout! had to resort to home recordings to even release it at all. The Hulu episodes are a mish-mosh of cut and uncut episodes, and they don't seem to be remastered.

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2019 5:40 AM

Why haven’t the other seasons been released?

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2019 5:43 AM

Fox pulled the same "poor sales" excuse they pulled on [italic]The Mary Tyler Moore Show[/italic]. It did not help matters that the cover made it look like [italic]The Denzel Washington Show[/italic] when his character was a supporting one at best and he wasn't the only black guy on the show by any means. Also, Mark Harmon, who got the lion's share of the publicity at the time and the coveted People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive" designation (David Morse was my favorite), didn't join the cast until season 2. Season 1 had the thoroughly unattractive, marginally talented David Birney.

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2019 5:46 AM

Wanting quiet in the OR, William Daniels said: "Let's all pretend we are in the Marcel Mersaux (spelling?) School of medicine."

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2019 7:13 AM

Fucking brilliant piece of television

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2019 7:23 AM

In the minority, I guess, but the ending was perfect to me. It reminded me of the shock of how Newhart ended, or the day the feisty attorney stepped into the elevator shaft on LA Law.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2019 7:25 AM

And it provided good fodder for crossover enthusiasts.

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2019 7:26 AM

R44 The ending was amazing, seems only recently people started hating on it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2019 7:28 AM

It worked because it was a commentary on both [italic]Dallas[/italic]' clumsy handling of Bobby Ewing's return and as a meditation on the inherently fictitious nature of TV.

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2019 7:30 AM

I remember watching it but have few memories of any plotlines. Mrs Huffnagel’s death, crushed by her bed being one.

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2019 9:01 AM

Norman Lloyd, at 104, is still alive!

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2019 9:41 AM

R49 His career is amazing, he worked with legends

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2019 9:45 AM

[quote]Marcel Mersaux (spelling?)

Marceau

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2019 10:44 AM

I only started to watch it in the early '90s, when it was on Maryland Public Television.

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2019 10:45 AM

I have just two words:

BARBARA.

THORNDYKE.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2019 12:52 PM

Two more words:

STAN

ZBORNAK

by Anonymousreply 54May 6, 2019 9:00 PM

ER and Chicago Hope were the lame children of St Elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 55May 6, 2019 9:08 PM

r41=Meredith Baxter

by Anonymousreply 56May 6, 2019 9:11 PM

R56 Nah David Birney felt wrong in the first season, Bobby Caldwell was an amazing character replacement

by Anonymousreply 57May 6, 2019 9:12 PM

This is where I discovered Bruce Greenwood. Still one of my all time favorite actors. So underrated and still really good looking in old age.

by Anonymousreply 58May 6, 2019 9:26 PM

Loved the flashback scenes with Edward Hermann as the priest who founded the hospital. He was such a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 59May 6, 2019 9:39 PM

I hated Howie Mandel.

by Anonymousreply 60May 6, 2019 9:49 PM

William Daniels who played the pompous head surgeon also did the voice of the car in Knight Rider and both shows aired in the same years, so that was a bit weird but otherwise he was a great actor in his role.

by Anonymousreply 61May 7, 2019 12:39 AM

Early on in the show Mark Harmon had a LARGE mustache. Boy did he look good with that mustache.

by Anonymousreply 62May 7, 2019 1:14 AM

Wasn’t he interrupted in shaving off the mustache & had half of it?

by Anonymousreply 63May 7, 2019 1:18 AM

Not to mention the time Harmon's character accidentally zipped his tool in his fly and had to go to the ER

by Anonymousreply 64May 7, 2019 1:39 AM

Not to mention the Mark Harmon character having his face slashed by a lunatic woman during a sex gone wrong scene . . .

by Anonymousreply 65May 7, 2019 4:48 PM

There were quite a few ‘Mary Hartman’ alumni on the show. Begley. Louise Lasser played his aunt, Marian Mercer was the lovely heart transplant recipient, Dodie Goodman had a small cameo, as did Bruce Solomon.

by Anonymousreply 66May 7, 2019 5:24 PM

I was born in 1982 the year it started, so missed it first time round and then about 4 years ago a channel here in the UK started showing 2 a day at like 4.30am so I recorded them. Looked forward to it more than any show that was currently running at the time. So well written and acted and I loved David Morse in it.

by Anonymousreply 67May 7, 2019 6:05 PM

R67 Boomer was an amazing character, but shit, bad stuff always happened to him. That prison rape storyline was way ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 68May 7, 2019 7:37 PM

Boomer’s wife’s death and his listening to her heart beat in the recipient was totally copied years later by General Hospital.

by Anonymousreply 69May 7, 2019 7:42 PM

R69 Lots was stolen, but never as well executed

by Anonymousreply 70May 7, 2019 8:01 PM

Mrs Hufnagel made my peen hard.

by Anonymousreply 71May 8, 2019 1:52 AM

All the seasons of St. Elsewhere are now on Hulu.

I've been on a binge.

Fucking great show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 30, 2020 6:00 AM

[quote] Mrs Hufnagel made my peen hard.

Didn't she die when she was trying to adjust her hospital bed, and she caused it to fold upon itself thus crushing her? I was a little kid when I saw that, and I couldn't stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 73September 30, 2020 6:06 AM

[quote]Didn't she die when she was trying to adjust her hospital bed, and she caused it to fold upon itself thus crushing her?

Yup! Just watched that episode.

by Anonymousreply 74September 30, 2020 6:11 AM

My two favorite things from St. Elsewhere:

Left anterior descending artery award.

Bring me the head of Bill Belvedere.

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2020 6:11 AM

r54 They were a couple in real life, too. When Herb Edelman died, Christina Pickles was listed in the obit as his "longtime companion."

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2020 1:25 PM

Another example of smutty television writing passing for intelligence. I swear it seems like all those shows were written by a horny thirteen year old boy.

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote] I swear it seems like all those shows were written by a horny thirteen year old boy.

You’re off by a few years:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 30, 2020 2:21 PM

R77 = Dr. Craig

by Anonymousreply 79September 30, 2020 3:02 PM

I liked the episode where William Daniels (Dr. Craig) who played John Adams in 1776, went to Philadelphia and kept running into old colleagues who told him he "was obnoxious and disliked". IIRC, they got the same actors from 1776.

by Anonymousreply 80September 30, 2020 3:16 PM

His scenes with Bonnie Bartlett were great, especially when their only son died.

by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote] His scenes with Bonnie Bartlett were great

They often argued about which places served a great breakfast and had free parking.

by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2020 3:30 PM

The only thing I cannot forgive them for is putting Judith Light AND Candace Cameron on as guest stars in season 1.

by Anonymousreply 83September 30, 2020 5:05 PM

I'm amazed that everyone can remember the character names and storylines. I loved it back in the day and always associate the leads with it, but all the details are gone.

by Anonymousreply 84September 30, 2020 5:30 PM

Norman Lloyd is still kicking at 105!

He did an interview with Deadline in July.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 30, 2020 5:32 PM

Great comment on a YT clip

"Beautiful theme music! But two things you will never see again on a tv show: 16(!) actors in the opening credits and actual opening credits with music!"

by Anonymousreply 86September 30, 2020 5:36 PM

Loved this show so much. I lust after Mark Harmon a little bit to this day.

by Anonymousreply 87September 30, 2020 8:47 PM

Such a great show! I was a kid too. Most of my favorite shows as a kid were for adults. Now, I watch an episode of Family and think Oh my stars! Abortion in the first episode and it just gets better and better.

by Anonymousreply 88September 30, 2020 8:58 PM

It and "Hill Street Blues" were "water cooler shows" back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 89September 30, 2020 9:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!