Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Showtime's 'Patrick Melrose' Mini-Series

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Hugo Weaving, Pip Torrens, Indira Varma, Blythe Danner. Directed by Edward Berger, written by David Nicholls.

[quote]Based on the Patrick Melrose Novels by Edward St. Aubyn. In a tour de force role, Benedict Cumberbatch plays the titular character who struggles to overcome the damage inflicted by a horribly abusive father and the mother who tacitly condoned his behaviour.

First of five episodes premieres May 12 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 22, 2019 4:27 AM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 12, 2018 2:29 PM

Interesting article in The New Yorker about these books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 12, 2018 2:30 PM

The one with Prince Margaret is awful on the page. But I bet it is the best one on TV>

by Anonymousreply 3May 12, 2018 2:49 PM

I would enjoy never seeing Bendydick Cummypants ever again.

by Anonymousreply 4May 12, 2018 2:52 PM

Isn't Melrose in his 20s for some of the books? Cumberbatch is 40+?

Wonder if it includes the scene where the father makes the mother eat of the floor, or was that only in the writer's own life? Ditto father son childhood sexual abuse.

by Anonymousreply 5May 12, 2018 3:19 PM

I refuse to watch anything with this alien looking motherfucker in it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2018 3:25 PM

R6 is Martin Freeman.

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2018 3:30 PM

When reading the books, I imagined Ben Whishaw at Patrick - not BC.

by Anonymousreply 8May 12, 2018 3:39 PM

Ben Whishaw would have been a brilliant choice, so much more able than Cumberbatch

by Anonymousreply 9May 12, 2018 4:06 PM

Cumberbatch is such an has been now.

by Anonymousreply 10May 12, 2018 4:09 PM

The critics seem to love this; 81 on Metascore and Certified Fresh on RottenTomatoes. They say Benedict gives quite a performance.

Five episodes is not a lot so I'll definitely check it out. Though I admit other actors attached to this is what intrigues me far more than him.

by Anonymousreply 11May 12, 2018 4:14 PM

Indeed several brilliant costar's not seen enough on screen. Is Jennifer Jason Leigh retired other than this? Surely there should be better for Blythe Danner than Will and Grace guest spots. Has Hugo Weaving youngish children, is that why he rarely works away from Australia?

by Anonymousreply 12May 12, 2018 4:22 PM

Watched the first episode. Cumberbatch is way too old for this character. I am suree the showrunners think it's brilliant but the constant inner thoughts narration is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2018 5:22 PM

If the first episode is the first book, Cumberbatch's character is 5 years old. So yes, he is way too old for the character.

by Anonymousreply 14May 13, 2018 5:32 PM

Um, so that was A LOT of acting for one episode of TV, right? However, not a single note of it came across as self-aware or cringy and I'm usually the first one to cringe the fuck out. Say what you want about him, but he is really possessing and selling this particular role.

Surprising Allison Williams cameo. She didn't annoy me so that's a first. Indira Varma had a lovely accent. Hugo Weaving's voice needs to be bottled and preserved as world cultural heritage; it's so very pleasing to the ears.

I'm intrigued, especially by that flashback of young Patrick and his father in the room. Was there molestation involved? Please don't spoil it if you have read the book, thank you.

Bonus bare butt gif. A little bit of foam gathered in his ass crack and it makes it seem like he has a buttplug in. Tee hee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 13, 2018 6:54 PM

Pondering the meaning of it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 13, 2018 6:56 PM

Damn he has a womanly ass!

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2018 6:01 PM

R6 Me either. He's hideous looking to the point it's distracting.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2018 6:05 PM

Pip Torrens is so fucking sexy in The Crown. I gather he’s bald in real life which is fine with me. Is he bald in this show?

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2018 6:07 PM

I think this was Cumberbatch's best performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2018 6:16 PM

r19 He shaves his head these days even though he's not completely bald. He wears a wig on this show.

(Why the fuck do I know so much about Pip fucking Torrens?!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2018 6:18 PM

[quote] I am sure the showrunners think it's brilliant but the constant inner thoughts narration is annoying.

The books each consisted of about 90% Patrick's inner thoughts narration, to the point that I didn't think they'd be able to make a tv adaptation at all.

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2018 6:22 PM

I thought the inner narration was nicely done and wasn't bothered by it at all. However, him doing different accents during those monologues did confuse me for a second or two as I was trying to figure out who was saying that.

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2018 6:26 PM

Pip Torrens really is a great actor. The Crown, Preacher, Patrick Melrose. All vastly different roles yet he makes them believable and fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2018 6:27 PM

“As a guest, Emily Price had three main drawbacks: she was incapable of saying please, incapable of saying thank you, and incapable of saying sorry, all the while creating a surge in the demand for these expressions.”

Worthy of Wilde or Saki.

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2018 7:07 PM

[quote] Damn he has a womanly ass!

He has a flat, alien ass.

by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2018 8:42 PM

Watching this I kept thinking 'thank god I never touched heroin a day in my life.'

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2018 11:51 PM

What a terrific hour of television last night's flashback episode was. Everything was so gorgeously shot that you couldn't possibly look away from all the misery depicted. My heart was breaking for little Patrick about five different ways. The casting department really struck gold with that adorable boy. And the only thing in life I want right now is to see adult Patrick confront his mother over the abuse.

Indira Varma's delivery of "My cup runneth over" was the highlight for me. Hugo Weaving's voice remains everything; even his mispronunciation of "l'automne" was charming to hear.

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2018 12:20 PM

I loved the novels so much. Read and re read them for the language. They are utterly non visual — even though they contain some great imagery. All that said I’ll subscribe to Showtime to watch.

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2018 2:06 PM

The first episode was a bit like a "Give me that Emmy!" reel. I didn't like it very much.

But the second episode was brilliant. It was a bit like an even-more-menacing "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

Indira Varma was pitch perfect.

And I loved Jennifer Jason Leigh's line: "We planned to turn it into a home for alcoholics. Which, in essence, we did."

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2018 1:36 AM

I like it, but having BC play a character who's only supposed to be in his mid-20s is a bit of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2018 2:16 AM

the rape was intense. lord. what a horrific, evil man.

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2018 2:27 AM

I didn't notice that Cumberbatch is too old in the first episode because I had no frame of reference until the second episode (where he is a child in the 60s).

I like him as an actor, but didn't miss him in the episode 2.

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2018 2:34 AM

Mixed reactions about this so far. It's completely absorbing and beautifully acted but I want to kick Mr & Mrs Melrose in the cunts. The actor playing young Patrick is sensational and his scenes with Indira Varma were heartbreaking.

Agree with the comments about about the age not being much of an issue until it went back in time 20 years.

One of my friends hasn't started it yet and I've suggested watching episode 2 first.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2018 5:58 PM

I think that's a good idea. The problem with beginning the series the way they did is that we don't know who Patrick is and have no reason to care about him. So when we see him go so wildly off the rails it just seems kind of....self absorbed and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2018 6:06 PM

I never mind the age differences that much. I mean, we all know these are actors playing characters while being dressed in period-specific clothing. It's really not that hard for me to extend my suspension of disbelief some more. Plus, total immersion just isn't that important to me anymore. I'll start bitching when those figs start levitating.

Indira Varma was such a revelation for me as she was pretty wooden on Game of Thrones and I hadn't seen her in anything else before. I always thought that heavy Spanish accent on GoT was her actual accent and what made her stumble so much but I guess not. Also, did I hallucinate reading somewhere that she was in that Kamasutra movie way back when?

And yes, Mr and Mrs Melrose were so self-absorbed and lost in their supposed genius and drug-induced stupour, respectively, I wanted to punch both of them as well. That shot of Patrick lying in the cavern, probably intentionally numbing himself from possible future hurt, was awful to see. I went through something similar as a kid and when those walls come up, they are [italic]not[/italic] coming down any time soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2018 6:28 PM

Oh, and I thought this wordless closing shot, finally showing some [italic]actual[/italic] care and support after that whole ordeal, was the perfect capper to the episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2018 6:28 PM

If Evelyn Waugh had been incested by his posh-o dad, you'd have the Patrick Melrose series.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2018 6:34 PM

Who was the woman in the closing shot? I couldn't tell if it was JJL.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2018 8:37 PM

The woman in the closing shot is actress Jessica Raine who was in episode 1 briefly as either an ex-girlfriend of Patrick's or an ex-wife (or current wife?). I read the books--which of course are much better. I get why they reversed the order of the books--Benedict Cumberbatch is the star and is the reason most people will watch the show (whether DL likes him or not). The first book, "Bad News" is brilliant and extremely disturbing, which should answer the question somebody asked above about what his father did--there is much more detail in the book. I did think it was obvious enough in the TV version, but perhaps not if you hadn't read the book. IMO the books decrease in quality as they go on but are still pretty addictive (and each one is not very long). I first heard about St. Aubyn here on DL a few years ago. There are probably several old threads about the Patrick Melrose novels.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2018 8:54 PM

r40 here: I goofed with the title of the first Patrick Melrose novel--it's "Never Mind." "Bad News" is the second (and obviously the first one on the TV series).

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2018 9:31 PM

Thanks r40!

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2018 9:42 PM

I liked the first ep. with Benedict - I think he was tremendous - up until he started smashing up his hotel room.

The second ep. with the kiddie in France, was awful.

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2018 2:14 AM

God, Princess Margaret was such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2018 5:30 AM

great episode tonight. yes, they really portray Margaret as a total bitch.

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2018 6:27 AM

The third episode was boring... until the party started and then it was pitch perfect to the end. So I misjudged the caring aspect of the second episode's closing shot - that bitch is awful and possibly introduced Patrick to the world of drugs. She's one of those super fun social butterflies who regularly do coke at parties but mysteriously never get addicted. Loved Princess Margaret and the French ambassador's wife.

Johnny gave Patrick terrible advice (but maybe understandable given the time period and the environment); you can't possibly use romantic relationships to deal with your past trauma. It's really not fair to the other person. Just get a hobby or do some volunteering if you do feel too self-involved. Speaking of self-involvement...

[quote]Johnny: "It's the end of the party." Patrick: "It's more than that; it's the end of an era."

Leave it to Patrick to make everything about himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2018 12:16 PM

So this episode took place in 1990, and the last one ended with Patrick's drug withdrawal in 1982. Has he been clean for 8 years or did he relapse within that time? I don't think that was explained.

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2018 12:26 PM

Yeah, that bit was off. It seemed like the next day or the next week to me. Although they did show him studying law. Could have been handled better, in any case.

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2018 12:31 PM

Episode 2 was the best so far.

I enjoyed ep 3, especially the horrid cunt Margaret, but felt that some of the AA-speak was laid on a bit thick -- and without any sense of irony. In doing so, the tone shifted rather radically and got a bit After-School-Special.

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2018 2:32 AM

I think the problem I'm having with the show is that, while I feel badly for the adult Patrick, I don't like him.

That is why I enjoyed episode 2 the most -- the child Patrick was very sympathetic. The adult Patrick is a bit of a tiresome shit.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2018 5:04 AM

well, from the looks of the preview he's about to fall off the wagon

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2018 5:37 AM

So I guess the message of this episode was that demons catch up with you eventually? It was pretty difficult, watching him go from a model father to an absolute wreck. I thought that phone conversation outside the liquor store was a masterclass in (face) acting. Simply incredible.

Could someone explain/interpret the closing shot to me? "Love... lovely spot."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2018 11:59 PM

The "shouting underwater in a pool" scenes do need to stop though as they're just such a cliché at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2018 12:01 AM

not interested in this alien looking actor. i have hbo and showtime. i am not even wasting my time with this shit.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2018 12:04 AM

I'm afraid to ask what you think of people born with actual genetic abnormalities.

by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2018 12:10 AM

Again, he is so thoroughly unlikable, it is very difficult to care about him.

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2018 2:23 AM

what a joyless mess of slop. Is it sposed to be funny? how did it get made, one bummer scene after another.

And Cumberbatch's voice so burnt from whatever he smoking, needs subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2018 2:48 AM

Blythe Danner was pretty funny, but didn't have much to do.

His wife is the only sympathetic person -- and she speaks for the audience when she says she's had enough of his selfish nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2018 2:53 AM

Such a boring premise, disgruntled drunk writer nags bout ev damn thing in his life.

NAG NAG NAG

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2018 3:52 AM

seriously, showtime needs to come up with good shows. only thing watchable is homeland! gonna cancel soon.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2018 3:56 AM

I guess my feeling about Patrick is that I don't know him well enough to say whether I like him or not. All I feel is terrific empathy for having to endure such god-awful parents. His father was terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2018 6:28 AM

Read the books--St. Aubyn is a very good writer. They're rather short as I recall. You can then maybe understand why they tried to make a TV series and why they failed. Patrick in the books is a mess but you're inside his head and you understand the horror much more. These books really were not adaptable. I think Cumberbatch does a good enough job (personally think he's an excellent actor), but because they had to compress each book into a one-hour episode, it just doesn't work. On TV it just seems trivial and facile. The books are also often very funny (especially the scene at the dinner with Princess Margaret--which is a big nothing in the TV series). Disappointing. I wouldn't bother with his last book (non-Patrick Melrose). Reviews were terrible enough that I didn't read.

Interestingly, Edward St. Aubyn is (or was when young) quite a bit better looking than Cumberbatch. There was a profile of him in the New Yorker from about 2014 or so--very interesting and strange guy. His marriage only lasted 3 years in real life, though it did produce a couple of kids and as I recall he tries to be a good father.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2018 8:42 PM

Well, that was depressing. The first episode and the last one feel like two different shows, which makes me think they slightly overdid Patrick's drug-fuelled escapades in the series opener. It was too stylized for a show about sexual abuse, I think. Or perhaps it was meant to contrast the very ordinary final battle with his father in his head at the very end. To convey the simplicity of compassion? Not necessarily forgiveness, mind you.

I loved the lady with the mental disorder who came to the funeral party. Marvellous work on her part at portraying how doped up mental patients behave and the unnerving effect they have on people around them.

by Anonymousreply 63June 10, 2018 12:02 PM

I gave up on this after the second ep.

It was too much - over the top and there was one very bad actress who sucked the life out of it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 10, 2018 12:09 PM

one of the worst attempts to convert a good book to tv

cumberbitch and j j leigh are beyond boring, they belong in the zoo

by Anonymousreply 65June 10, 2018 12:13 PM

I don’t mind Cumberbatch, but I can’t watch that valid dingbat Danner. She just has a punchable face. “Elder smug frau” face.

by Anonymousreply 66June 10, 2018 12:52 PM

This was the actress who ruined it for me. She just couldn't play upper class, it was a joke...a bad one.

Actually, I don't even like looking at her photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 10, 2018 1:42 PM

r64 Who was the bad actress?

by Anonymousreply 68June 10, 2018 2:29 PM

r66 Oh, stop it. Danner is a national treasure.

r67 I read her character as a social climber; not necessarily upper class but aspiring to be. I think the actress has charisma and sophistication coming out of her ass and I find her really beautiful as well.

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2018 2:32 PM

R69 so bury her.

Terrible actress. Annoying the way Peggy Noonan is.

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2018 3:40 PM

I am enjoying the series though I did not think I would;

Thanks for the link to the New Yorker piece OP

As others have mentioned, I was not bothered by the age thing in the first episode as I did not realize he was supposed to be in his early 20s not early 30s. But BC does a great job in the role.

by Anonymousreply 71June 10, 2018 4:09 PM

danner and her pitiful diaper commercial????

HELL WITH HER

by Anonymousreply 72June 10, 2018 11:57 PM

CANT UNDERSTAND A WORD CUMBERBATCH SAYS

THROAT CANCER OR CUMWADS CLUSTER?

by Anonymousreply 73June 11, 2018 12:35 AM

The latest episode was the only one that made him seem likable at all.

When his mother blithely said, "He raped me, too," I died. That was such a brilliant line and so perfectly delivered.

by Anonymousreply 74June 12, 2018 3:38 AM

was a less likable character ever portrayed???

cumbeerbitchy piks loser roles

no wonder martin freeman calls him a creep

by Anonymousreply 75June 12, 2018 5:15 AM

Benedict has really aged.

by Anonymousreply 76June 12, 2018 5:27 AM

he chain smokes, his voice is burnt toast, and his face is nicotine fried.

by Anonymousreply 77June 12, 2018 6:21 AM

I liked the 2nd episode best.

It was also the episode with the least adult Patrick Melrose.

I like Cumberbatch, but apparently not so much in this.

by Anonymousreply 78June 12, 2018 2:25 PM

[quote]When his mother blithely said, "He raped me, too," I died. That was such a brilliant line and so perfectly delivered.

On the one hand, I liked how that was delivered as well. On the other hand.... your child tells you he was being raped as a prepubescent boy for years and your response is "Me too" almost before he finishes the sentence? Just how self-involved can you get? Child rape is more horrible than a husband raping his wife. I'm sorry, but it just is. Take a step back and focus on your kid [italic]for once[/italic] in your entire solipsistic fucking life.

r77 His face was purposefully aged in the last episode. He looks really youthful in the first one.

by Anonymousreply 79June 12, 2018 2:38 PM

I couldn't get through the first episode. Drug addiction is boring.

by Anonymousreply 80June 12, 2018 2:52 PM

[quote] Child rape is more horrible than a husband raping his wife. I'm sorry, but it just is. Take a step back and focus on your kid for once in your entire solipsistic fucking life.

Mary, calm down. It's just a mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 81June 12, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote] If Evelyn Waugh had been incested by his posh-o dad,

Evelyn Waugh's parents were decidedly middle class.

by Anonymousreply 82June 12, 2018 3:01 PM

[quote]your child tells you he was being raped as a prepubescent boy for years and your response is "Me too" almost before he finishes the sentence? Just how self-involved can you get? Child rape is more horrible than a husband raping his wife. I'm sorry, but it just is. Take a step back and focus on your kid

That was the entire point of the scene, which, apparently, went right over your head.

by Anonymousreply 83June 12, 2018 4:08 PM

r83 I got the scene just fine, thanks, you condescending prick. I'm still allowed to be angry with her character (and gathering from the W&Ws, others felt the same). Or have you started watching TV just yesterday and you haven't learned about empathy and immersion yet?

by Anonymousreply 84June 12, 2018 5:13 PM

Love you, r82.

by Anonymousreply 85June 12, 2018 6:28 PM

R84 I'm inconsolable.

by Anonymousreply 86June 12, 2018 6:41 PM

"Mary, calm down. It's just a mini-series. "

And this is just a thread about a mini-series. What's your excuse for being triggered?

by Anonymousreply 87June 14, 2018 1:47 AM

The commercials looked very good. I try watching this and every single week I can't take more than 20 minutes of it and switch the channel

by Anonymousreply 88June 14, 2018 1:52 AM

The five novels taken together represent a masterpiece on par with Waugh's entire oeuvre. Individually, the Melrose novels range from brilliant to good--but all of them have brilliance in them.

The series is remarkably faithful in tone, and as a whole it's incredibly satisfying, both as adaptation and miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 89June 14, 2018 2:25 AM

God, I hated this series.

by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2018 11:24 PM

So there were 5 whole books about a man who was fucked up because his father raped him as a child? How self-indulgent.

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2018 11:57 PM

r90 and r91 have neither taste nor intelligence. I doubt either could read more than Harry Potter novels.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2018 12:08 AM

r91's literary opinion of these novels is in the lowest minority.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2018 12:09 AM

It's like Proust and all that "memory" thing. How self-indulgent. And for three thousand pages!

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2018 12:10 AM

R92, I love literary fiction. But I hate books that are all about being a victim.

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2018 12:10 AM

Well, r95, then you're missing all the excoriating humor and humanity that flows through the entire five novels.

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2018 12:12 AM

I thought the episodes were great. Cumberbatch impressed me with his acting. He is very talented.

by Anonymousreply 97June 16, 2018 12:12 AM

Benedict has never looked so unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 98June 16, 2018 12:14 AM

R98 Because the is what acting a heroin-addicted person in depression is all about, right?

by Anonymousreply 99June 16, 2018 2:05 AM

Vapid, shallow Datalounge standards are being applied to serious adult television. Of course idiots here hate it. Hence, r98's comment.

by Anonymousreply 100June 16, 2018 1:37 PM

Benedict Humperdink will get the Emmy for this. It was quite well done. JJL’s old lady makeup was distractingly bad. I haven’t read the books, but the scripts had some fun and arch one-liners. The English can be quite tiring in general, but at least the elite’s sense of irony seems to be well developed. Aubyn is clearly a smart guy, but I expect him to be one of those middle aged suicides like Bourdain in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 101June 16, 2018 2:00 PM

"I expect him to be one of those middle aged suicides like Bourdain in the next few years."

I don't, r101.

by Anonymousreply 102June 16, 2018 2:56 PM

if this tepid goofball series is like the books, I wont be putting them on my next amazon list of books to be bought.

who likes such tripe???

by Anonymousreply 103June 16, 2018 3:07 PM

The new age hippy woman annoying Nicholas Pratt to death made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 104June 20, 2018 10:27 PM

lousey directing and screenplay

wow

by Anonymousreply 105June 21, 2018 3:36 AM

Every bit as boring as the books.

by Anonymousreply 106June 22, 2018 12:42 AM

I couldn't make it through the first episode. I jumped ahead to the second, but that boy was in no way the same character as the one played by Cumberbatch, fifteen years earlier. And then something else came up. I doubt I will go back to it. Addiction is painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 107June 29, 2018 10:58 AM

grim, boring, tedious, whats the fun of this turgid show??

by Anonymousreply 108June 29, 2018 11:01 AM

r107 It was like watching 40-year-old Greg Rikaart playing 25-year-old Leo on DOOL.

by Anonymousreply 109June 29, 2018 11:23 AM

And I love Greg Rikaart. Don't get me wrong. They should have written him a better role, or made Leo's situation more of a match, agewise.

by Anonymousreply 110June 29, 2018 11:26 AM

I just saw this, and was really impressed with the adaptation.

Cumberbatch is fine but not brilliant--I think the first episode is supposed to be his tour de force (and its well worth watching for the great look at the beautiful hotel that's supposed to the Pierre in the book), he seems like he's doing too much schtick. When he's riffing on speedballs or on just coke, he seems like he's trying to do a Robin Williams. (His impersonations of an American accent--which I know from interviews with Cumberbatch he seems to think are brilliant, but are actually not that great--are really annoying.) But the iother episodes are great. I was really impressed with Indira Varma (as opposed to Cumberbatch, she does an excellent American accent), and I was hugely impressed with Holiday Grainger, the actress who played Bridget, Nick Pratt's bored girlfriend in episode 2 who becomes the countess trapped in the miserable marriage in episode 3. Although i was dissappointed they cut the hilarious awful monologue princess Maragret delivers to Patrick in episode 3, I understand why they thought it would be too much and cut it back. you got fully enough of how awful she was with just her scene with the French ambassador and his wife and her nasty refusal to be introduced to Bridget's daughter.

The portrait of snobbery in these books is pretty unforgettable--especially what St Aubyn has called "the snobbery of contempt," which his father and Princess Margaret practiced, which is not aspirational snobbery and a desire to know better people, but a sense that you've gone as far as you will evcer go in the class system because of how you were born, and your hatred and willingness to treat as subhuman all those below you.

by Anonymousreply 111December 22, 2019 2:53 AM

Loved it. Favorite one was the party where Princess Margaret made the French Ambassador wipe gravy from her dress. Pip Torrens was great in this and every episode.

by Anonymousreply 112December 22, 2019 3:19 AM

I was impressed by the force of Torrens's performance as the show progresses--as time goes by, you begin to see how his monstrousness just gets worse and worse so by the very end he is positively crabbed by his own loathing of everything (including himself).

by Anonymousreply 113December 22, 2019 3:47 AM

twas a flop ratings wise and critics wise.....dumb ass failure.

by Anonymousreply 114December 22, 2019 4:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!