Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

RuPaul to star in 10-episode Netflix road trip series reminiscent of 'To Wong Foo'

RuPaul is sashaying into that Netflix money! The streaming site has ordered ten episodes of a one-hour comedy starring RuPaul as Ruby Red, a “bigger-than-life but down-on-her-luck drag queen who travels across America from club to club in a rundown 1990’s R/V.” Executive-produced by RuPaul and Sex and the City alum Michael Patrick King, AJ and the Queen will follow Ruby Red and her 11-year-old sidekick, AJ, as they travel around the country. Per Netflix’s release: “Oh, and RuPaul performs a killer musical number in every drag club.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 5:22 PM

Here's a (very brief) promo Tweet/video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2018 9:52 PM

That sounds interesting but doesn't he absolutely hate performing in drag these days? Though I'm sure all that Netflix cash has changed his mind overnight.

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2018 9:53 PM

'Ru Paul will perform a killer number'......better start rehearsing now bitch

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2018 10:12 PM

I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2018 10:16 PM

This could be really good. This could be really bad.

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2018 10:21 PM

I was with them until the 11 year old side kick. Does every fucking sitcom/car commercial have to have some bratty kid.

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2018 10:25 PM

I'm not enthused about this. Ru can be amusing in his acting, but it's very stylised. It reminds me of the Divine biopic where they showed Divine playing a male gangster type. They made the claim that he delivered in the role but the excerpt made it clear that he didn't. His acting was derived from old movies and soaps. He wasn't believeable otherwise. I expect Ru will be much the same, with added wooden.

I don't think it's smart to have a lipsync every week. It opens up Ru to comparison to "his girls", which would be unfair as it seems he's in frail health. He can still slay the runway but otherwise... I'm skeptical.

I like the JJ Abrams bio-series idea better, with real actor(s) as Ru.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2018 10:26 PM

This is weird. I listened to a gay comic actor outline a very similar concept the other week, though his character was on the run.

I agree that the 11 year old sidekick idea is a turnoff. Will it be that Desmond is amazing kid?

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2018 10:29 PM

*Divine documentary, not biopic.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2018 10:45 PM

I'll watch this. Love RuPaul.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2018 11:02 PM

I hope there won't be any nudity. I like to watch family-oriented programming.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2018 11:05 PM

Has Ru ever carried a show as lead actor? Even on Drag Race his screen time, while crucial, is limited.

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2018 11:26 PM

You have a point R12 Did you see Hurricane Bianca? A little goes a looooong way.

by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2018 11:28 PM

I hope they dump the 11-year old sidekick. It's an unneeded and likely boring distraction. Why don't they get a hot young guy sidekick?

Going to a different club each week is enough for the writers. They can have plenty of interesting guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2018 11:36 PM

I've never seen Starbooty but I believe Ru's the lead in that.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2018 11:38 PM

Love Ru.

Can do no wrong this side of the pond.

by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2018 11:40 PM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2019 4:43 PM

pass, she gives me the hives....and that laff.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2019 4:52 PM

I love the poster! I will be watching, of course.

by Anonymousreply 19November 19, 2019 4:53 PM

What happened to his new talk show that he was doing earlier this year? Is that over now?

by Anonymousreply 20November 19, 2019 4:56 PM

It had a 15 ep run already r20. They might have decided not to make more though.

by Anonymousreply 21November 19, 2019 5:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!