Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Plastic Straw Is Losing Status as New York’s Big Sipper

Finally, it’s warm enough to walk the streets of New York while nursing an iced coffee, a chilled juice or a cold soda. It’s straw season.

But in many quarters, the ubiquitous plastic straw has suddenly become a pariah for the harm it can do to the environment.

The United States alone uses and discards millions of plastic straws every day, according to Eco-Cycle, a nonprofit group that promotes recycling. While straws account for only a small fraction of the single-use plastics in circulation or in landfills, their size and shape make them a threat to marine life; the straws can entrap animals and be swallowed whole by fish.

Online campaigns like Stop Sucking and the Last Plastic Straw have declared war on the straws. Some cities, including Seattle and Malibu, Calif., have banned them. Britain’s prime minister, Theresa May, has vowed to outlaw the sale of plastic straws before the end of the year.

In New York, Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo have railed against plastic bags. (Mr. Cuomo recently introduced a bill to outlaw single-use plastic bags.) But it’s not government officials or consumers who seem to be leading the shift away from plastic straws. It’s businesses.

Last month, Kerry Diamond began offering paper as well as plastic straws at Smith Canteen, her coffee shop in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, after talking to her brother Patrick Diamond, who heads the Rise Above Plastics campaign for the New York City chapter of the Surfrider Foundation.

She said that despite all the online chatter about alternatives to plastic straws, no customer had ever requested one. To her surprise, the restaurant ran out of paper straws in a week. “This is something people wanted more than I anticipated,” Ms. Diamond said.

At Inday, three fast-casual Indian restaurants in Manhattan, the owner, Basu Ratnam, has received countless emails from customers asking about his recycling policies and the sustainability of the bowls and cutlery — but none about straws.

In April, after reading reports about how plastic straws contributed to whale deaths, Mr. Ratnam stopped putting them out at Inday’s flagship.

“People stopped asking for them,” he said. “Straws are a small, nonessential beverage accessory that we found people aren’t super attached to. We have been able to change customer behavior without being disruptive.” He has since stopped putting out straws at all his restaurants (though customers can get plastic straws on request).

For some businesses, eliminating straws is an aesthetic decision. The upscale Mexican restaurants Atla and Cosme, in Manhattan, offer only metal or paper straws — and only on request.

The beverage director, Yana Volfson, said that because she carefully chooses the glassware, a straw of any kind “would take away from that more visceral experience of a cocktail.” Drinks like a margarita, which has a salt-lined rim, she said, are meant for strawless sipping.

“Why have we made it the norm that every cocktail should be served with a straw, even when someone doesn’t need or hasn’t asked for one?” she said.

When asked, several customers said they favored doing away with plastic straws, but would stop using them only if restaurants took the lead.

“When you order a glass of water at a diner, the waiter just automatically brings the straw,” said Ninna Seerup, 29, who was sipping coffee (sans straw) at Kos Kaffe in Park Slope, Brooklyn. “When you think about it, you don’t need it, but it’s already there.” (On the other hand, she said she found the idea of reusing a metal straw “a bit disgusting.”)

At another table, Louise Laage Toft, also 29, said she loved the protection that straws provide. “When I have a Coke, I like drinking it with a straw so I don’t touch anything to my teeth,” she said. But if plastic straws were banned, she added: “I would be fine with it. The environment is more important than me and my weirdness.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 28, 2018 4:16 AM

At another table, Louise Laage Toft, also 29, said she loved the protection that straws provide. “When I have a Coke, I like drinking it with a straw so I don’t touch anything to my teeth,” she said. But if plastic straws were banned, she added: “I would be fine with it. The environment is more important than me and my weirdness.”

Still, most establishments continue to hand out plastic straws, which are often cheaper and more durable than their paper siblings. Even some coffee shops, which commonly pride themselves on their green initiatives, seem reluctant to change.

“Our customers are pretty conscientious,” said Caroline Bell, the chief executive and co-owner of Café Grumpy, a local chain that uses environmentally friendly LED lights and compostable coffee bags. She said the company was exploring alternatives to plastic straws.

But asked about dropping straws altogether, Ms. Bell was aghast. “That’s crazy,” she said. “If there weren’t straws, customers would have a meltdown. It would be very hard to get away from them, especially with people commuting.”

At a Greenwich Village location of Gregorys Coffee, Emma Stratigos, the store leader, said that while more customers have been bringing reusable cups, she had never seen anyone with a reusable straw.

“Actually, if we run out of straws at a condiment station for, like, 30 seconds, there is an uproar,” Ms. Stratigos said. “It’s funny, too, because if people need room for milk, they will sip the coffee out of the cup, and then they’ll still put on the lid and straw. It’s a force of habit.”

The only way to render straws obsolete is to redesign lids and cups, said Mr. Ratnam, of Inday. “The onus is on the restaurant owners to work with buyers and manufacturers to come up with a solution that can accommodate the functionality of a straw without using one,” he said. “If enough restaurant owners came together, you could force innovation.”

New York summers are likely a long way from going completely straw-free, but Ms. Diamond said she was optimistic.

“I imagine that one day when you talk to little kids, they might be like, ‘What’s a straw?’ in the same way that they now don’t know what a typewriter is.”

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2018 2:39 PM

The UK's ahead of us.

Plastic Q-Tips and straws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2018 2:40 PM

The latest is Malibu, Calif. Before that came Seattle; Davis and San Luis Obispo, Calif.; and Miami Beach and Fort Myers, Fla.

They’re all cities that have banned or limited the use of plastic straws in restaurants. Straws, routinely placed in glasses of water or soda, represent a small percentage of the plastic that’s produced and consumed but often end up on beaches and in oceans.

Advocates said laws aimed at cutting back on the use of plastic straws can help spur more significant behavioral changes.

“I think a lot of people feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of the plastic problem,” said Diana Lofflin, the founder of StrawFree.org, an activist organization based in San Diego. “Giving up plastic straws is a small step, and an easy thing for people to get started on. From there, we can move on to larger projects.”

The City Council in Malibu voted on Monday to bar restaurants from giving out plastic straws, utensils and stirrers. Similar measures are being considered in other coastal cities, including Berkeley, Calif. A bevy of restaurants across the country have also voluntarily stopped providing straws.

It’s not just happening in the United States. Scotland plans to be rid of plastic straws by 2019, and Taiwan is banning single-use plastic items, including straws, cups and shopping bags, by 2030.

Around the world, people have wrestled with the environmental effect of plastics, which do not naturally degrade and are frequently used once before settling in landfills, clogging storm drains or collecting in the ocean, often for long periods of time. Many countries have banned, limited or taxed the use of plastic bags.

Some of the leading organizations in the plastics industry have said they agree with the idea of reducing the use of straws, but have said laws are the wrong way to go about it. They haven’t fought the laws with the same vigor they used to oppose bag bans.

The American Chemistry Council has taken a softer approach to straw bans than it did with bags, suggesting that restaurants provide straws only when a customer asks for one.

“We believe providing straws through an ‘on-demand’ system gives customers choice and helps prevent waste by ensuring that straws are distributed only to those who need them,” Steve Russell, vice president of the organization’s plastics division, said.

Scott DeFife, vice president of government affairs for the Plastics Industry Association, said in an interview that the problem of ocean debris was complex, stemming more from inadequate resources for waste management.

“We, as a nation, are not going to solve our marine debris issues by banning straws in restaurants,” he said.

He said straws had become “the new poster child” for environmentalists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2018 2:42 PM

I love a straw with my iced tea and just bring a metal one with me. I have several and just run them through the dishwasher. Just like bringing reusable bags to the grocery.

After doing a beach clean-up with a friend last year, I was grossed out by all the plastic and trash.

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2018 2:47 PM

I love my stainless steel straws. Bought them at Starbucks last summer. I just put them in the dishwasher and make sure they're clean inside after (I drink smoothies so sometimes blueberry bits attach to the inside of the straw). If there's anything left, I just scrub the inside with this pipe cleaner thing from Oxo (image attached) and put it right back in the dishwasher utensil basket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2018 2:48 PM

I was trying to order a box of plastic straws on Amazon and got the error message that a certain type couldn't be shipped to my address (I'm in California, but not in one of the cities that has banned plastic straws.) I was able to order another, nearly identical box with no problems, so I'm totally baffled about the problem with the first one. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2018 2:59 PM

I grew up with paper straws and remember when plastic straws were introduced. There was no improvement in function. None at all.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2018 3:03 PM

R6, probably just an error.

by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2018 3:03 PM

Paper straws get soggy quick. I remember them as a kid. Ugh. This is bullshit. Like the buy your own bags nonsense at the grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2018 3:07 PM

R9, maybe they've improved since then. I tried some from Amazon and they were good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2018 3:09 PM

We have known about all the chaos and devastation that single-use plastic is causing for decades. We and the manufacturers prefer to keep the status quo even as the oceans fill up with plastic debris, because we love convenience, über alles. We should have recoiled in horror when the issues first started to reveal themselves to us. We've been seeing the photos of young turtles having to contend with six-pack plastic circles stuck cinched around their middles, distorting their shells as they grow up. We read about birds getting their heads stuck in Yoplait yogurt containers and dying a decade ago and yet Yoplait is still making those tapered containers, they don't give a flying fuck. Very few people do. I cannot believe how defiant, ignorant and self-serving we still are as a species. There is a Humungous. Plastic. Island. In the middle of the Pacific ocean. I commend R4 and R5 for being proactive and taking responsibility for their straw usage. Everybody needs to wake more up.

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2018 3:09 PM

There were always cheap paper straws and others of better quality that performed perfectly. There is no need for plastic straws.

As for cocktails, there used to be wonderful glass swizzle sticks. It's time to bring them back!

by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2018 3:13 PM

As someone who used to drink out of a paper straw, can I say they are absolutely useless? There's a reason plastic became the choice of straws.

by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2018 3:14 PM

R11, it really doesn't take much effort for someone to change their habits and help the planet. The selfishness of some people is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 14May 11, 2018 3:15 PM

R13, when did you last use a paper straw? I've used them quite a bit for a year (I buy different brands) and I haven't had a problem with them... but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 15May 11, 2018 3:19 PM

I'm Team Anodized Aluminum, r12......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 11, 2018 3:23 PM

Well, this is a good start but it won't solve the problem. We use so many plastic things each day that we don't recycle. The coffee pods, plastic cups, bottles of soda, bottles of water, every food product that isn't fresh fruit or vegetables, new iPhones being released every year that people think they HAVE to have and throw away their old one.... The list goes on and on. The straws are just one thing out of a million. We have to find ways to replace it all.

by Anonymousreply 17May 11, 2018 4:02 PM

I'm definitely all about using left plastic stuff. I'm going to carry around one of my metal reusable straws moving forward if I have a bag with me. If not, I'll just forego using a straw.

by Anonymousreply 18May 11, 2018 4:03 PM

This is not good. Was in my local NYC bar and they did not have straws to sip my drink. I had to leave after one drink because it was so unenjoyable to slurp a drink. The horror....

by Anonymousreply 19May 11, 2018 4:40 PM

It's people's attitudes that have to be replaced most of all, R17. So many people just do not have even a second thought about it and many convince themselves they're powerless to change anything anyway. Corporations/industries churning out this stuff are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 20May 11, 2018 5:29 PM

Most zoos and some other types of parks have banned straws of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 21May 11, 2018 6:44 PM

As an adult I do not need either a straw or a sippy cup.

by Anonymousreply 22May 11, 2018 7:54 PM

R22 needs her teeth bleached.

by Anonymousreply 23May 11, 2018 8:20 PM

R21, there's a reason for that.

by Anonymousreply 24May 11, 2018 8:21 PM

Fine by me. I know people who use paper or metal straws. I also re-use the plastic Starbucks cups my husband gets his iced Americanos in.

Paper straws get soggy, but why can’t they line them with a thin layer of wax, like milk cartons?

Also, Q-tips used to be made of paper sticks.

by Anonymousreply 25May 11, 2018 8:23 PM

[quote] We use so many plastic things each day that we don't recycle.

Oh, fuck off. Trump and co are gonna be in office for ever with this hipster bullshit. Now we're crying over straws and demanding that they be banned. Good Christ.

by Anonymousreply 26May 11, 2018 8:23 PM

[quote] Fine by me.

Take it to Mother Russia, comrade.

by Anonymousreply 27May 11, 2018 8:24 PM

And this faux hippie bitch (who uses metal straws) pointed to my used Starbucks cup and goes “did you change your name to [husband’s name]?” And I said “I’m getting another few uses out of it. I save them and use them as ‘go cups’ before I recycle them” and she laughed at me for being cheap. The FUCK, bitch?

She believes in chem trails and is an anti-vaxxer, so.

by Anonymousreply 28May 11, 2018 8:27 PM

R27: suka blyat.

by Anonymousreply 29May 11, 2018 8:28 PM

Can't wait to spill shit on me and every poster in here, in my car, on the subway, in the movie theater...

by Anonymousreply 30May 11, 2018 8:28 PM

I use reusable silicone straws--steel straws make me a little nervous--a jolt in the car and a cracked tooth. The silicon ones are fine, though I don't carry them with me--I suppose I should think about it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 11, 2018 9:39 PM

I used a paper straw just last weekend and it was getting soggy and limp by the end of my drink. And it was a small cup of lemonade that I drank fairly quickly. I'm all for alternatives but like others have said, there's a reason plastic became the standard. I don't have a dishwasher so I'm skeptical about reusable straws. I don't think rinsing under the faucet would be enough to kill germs.

Anyway, the current obsession with straws seems odd to me. "I'll continue to buy my single use coffee cup from Starbucks every day but don't you dare give me a straw with it!"

by Anonymousreply 32May 11, 2018 9:52 PM

For the cocktail that is both eco-friendly and fashionable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 11, 2018 9:59 PM

[quote][R22] needs her teeth bleached.

You're right. What's a few injured animals compared to keeping your teeth white.

by Anonymousreply 34May 11, 2018 10:13 PM

All straws were made out of paper when I was growing up. They usually lasted til tbe end of your drink, unless you kept your mouth on the straw and bit itcwith your teeth.

by Anonymousreply 35May 11, 2018 10:34 PM

Men don’t drink out of straws.

It looks effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 36May 11, 2018 10:45 PM

Gosh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 25, 2018 6:31 AM

Hope MCD shareholders do the right thing and get rid of plastic straws!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2018 6:33 AM

I just bought an Agua Fresca at Whole Foods and they only had paper straws. It was the worst. The straw wouldn't suck anything up and then disintegrated.

by Anonymousreply 39May 25, 2018 6:59 AM

I don't drink with straws. Kind of femme.

by Anonymousreply 40May 25, 2018 7:06 AM

WHat if you’re drinking boba?

by Anonymousreply 41May 25, 2018 7:19 AM

I only drink American iced tea. No need for that Asian stuff.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2018 2:48 PM

Reusable boba straws. Stainless steel available too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2018 2:52 PM

People are buzzing about this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 26, 2018 2:54 PM

Boba is for screeching little Asian girls.

by Anonymousreply 45May 26, 2018 3:06 PM

For like forever there were paper straws before there were plastic ones. I care about the planet but really fuck this. I would never use reusable straw in a restaurant and I'm not going to carry a fucking straw around with me. Just go back to paper. Yeah I know trees. No one that knows downs trees by the millions to develop properties gives a shit. Stop that first. One tree can probably make enough paper straws to supply the entire country for a 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 46May 26, 2018 3:23 PM

A river of floating garbage in Manila. It is like this all over Asia. Trash just gets dumped in rivers and floats to the oceans. It is a wonder why our beaches are receptors of all this garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 26, 2018 3:45 PM

I made a conscious effort to reduce my purchases in plastic. The only true recyclables are glass, metal and paper. It isn't easy as so many products that used to be in glass or paper have switched to plastic. Take a good look around Whole Foods and all the plastic sarcophagi they put their products in, such as baked goods.

by Anonymousreply 48May 26, 2018 5:28 PM

Anyone remember paper straws?

by Anonymousreply 49May 26, 2018 7:18 PM

What I loved about paper straws is that often people would use two to drink a malt or something. It just looked cool to me. Also I love how in the old movies people, usually a boy and girl, would each have a paper straw and share the same drink. The only thing that would have made it more romantic was if it was two boys.

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2018 12:55 AM

Just ordered a small reusable utensil kit from Joseph Joseph on Amazon and some reusable stainless steel straws of different lengths and a couple of which are bent, which comes with a pouch. Easy to carry around.

I think reusable straws are popular now. As soon as I typed "stainless steel" Amazon suggested "stainless steel straws." There's hope I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2018 3:55 PM

EU - always ahead of us on the environment, privacy, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2018 3:55 PM

IKEA sells reusable straws.

We’ve banned plastic bags where I live. And I still forget to bring my reusable bags when I go shopping. It costs 5¢ for a brown bag, so I use the stores bags. Also, if I was just buying one thing at a place like CVS I would put the item on the counter and say, “I don’t need a bag” and every single time the person behind the counter shoved it into a bag. I guess that will change with businesses switching to self checkout.

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2018 4:02 PM

I like the dime they refund at Whole Foods for using your own bag. It pays for the bag, etc.

by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2018 4:10 PM

Spraws, r16?

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2018 4:34 PM

But, ... will I still be able to snort dope with these new straws? I don't like rolled up money in my nose.

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2018 4:55 PM

R54, what annoys me about that is they always try to take my refund from me for some charity, donated in their name. Why don't they charge all those people NOT using their own bags and donate THAT money to charity, in their name.

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2018 5:05 PM

[quote] I don't have a dishwasher so I'm skeptical about reusable straws. I don't think rinsing under the faucet would be enough to kill germs.

Krazy Straws were a huge thing for kids in the 1960s. My mother hated the things because they were impossible to clean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2018 5:06 PM

R57, they do? I've never been asked that in the last few years. I thought they got rid of the program. Or is it only on certain days, a few times a month? That wooden token thing - right?

by Anonymousreply 59May 29, 2018 5:23 PM

R59, they asked me just a few weeks ago in Philly. I rarely go in there anymore. They're putting in a "Sprouts" store near me, though I doubt I will spend much there either.

by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2018 6:26 PM

NPR coverage from yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 1, 2018 4:42 PM

Poor innocent sea turtle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 1, 2018 4:42 PM

My stainless steel straws are coming today!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 1, 2018 4:43 PM

Good for you R63. They are easy to get used to.

by Anonymousreply 64June 1, 2018 4:46 PM

Fucking plastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 3, 2018 6:44 AM

Plastic bags you can recycle. Best thing, of course, is never to use them. But Amazon sends packages with those protective air pillows, which are recyclable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 3, 2018 6:50 AM

Used my Joseph Joseph spoon twice already.

by Anonymousreply 67June 3, 2018 6:52 AM

For all other plastics things, the best thing is to very securely put them in a trash bag (e.g., kitchen trash bag) with a drawstring you can tie, so it goes in the landfill and can't harm any animals (assuming the bag doesn't burst and seagulls don't pick at it and take some plastic with them).

Just gotta do your best.

Really hopes the Ocean Cleanup initiative (Dutch government-funded project, invented by a genius "kid") works. Testing now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 3, 2018 6:57 AM

Can't people not litter? Wouldn't this solve the problems with straws entering the oceans? My goodness!

by Anonymousreply 69June 3, 2018 9:42 AM

I guess I feel like these efforts are futile. They'll ban straws in progressive places like NYC and LA but the red states will double down and give out packs of free plastic straws with every gun purchase just to stick it to the snowflake libtards.

by Anonymousreply 70June 3, 2018 10:46 AM

Using my reusables all the time now - utensils, straws, bags. Hope to add more things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 6, 2018 5:39 PM

The paper straws are nasty.

by Anonymousreply 72June 6, 2018 5:42 PM

Straws are for girls and queens.

by Anonymousreply 73June 6, 2018 5:43 PM

The only true recyclables are metal, paper and glass. Plastic can only be recycled once or twice, then it's landfill or incinerator.

by Anonymousreply 74June 6, 2018 5:56 PM

We only had paper straws when I grew up. They were fine.

When my son was young all the kids got krazy straws at birthday parties. They were enthralled with them for maybe all of 2 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 75June 6, 2018 6:59 PM

Starbucks's 2020 replacement is going to spur a lot of R&D - relatively speaking. A non-plastic "solution" is coming.

Great news. Doing the right thing.

Bitch and moan, selfish queens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 9, 2018 2:20 PM

You can make straws out of straw you know.

by Anonymousreply 77July 9, 2018 2:29 PM

[quote]I'm definitely all about using left plastic stuff.

So am I!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 9, 2018 3:43 PM

What if I promise not to drop my straw in the ocean?

by Anonymousreply 79July 9, 2018 4:13 PM

This is wonderful news. Setting an example, raising awareness. Looking forward to innovative biodegradable straws. I use stainless steel myself.

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2018 5:08 AM

This anti-plastic straw movement is DANGEROUS for fibro warriors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2018 6:23 PM

I guess the stupid tard in r81’s link doesn’t know about reusable silicone straws.

Of course, they’re reuseable and need to be washed, and that’s probably too much for a person with a BITE DISABILITY.

We use water bottles with straws and lids, and just throw the straws in the dishwasher. If you’re only drinking water out of them, they just need a rinse. It’s not difficult.

As usual with these fuckheads, if you come up with a solution to their “problems” they don’t want to hear it or make it work. They cherish their “disability” the

by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2018 6:40 PM

Using a straw is the new smoking -point & shame & feel superior!

by Anonymousreply 83July 10, 2018 6:47 PM

Disney joining. Setting an example. Wonderful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 27, 2018 11:35 PM

Aramark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 27, 2018 11:43 PM

Old people are going to get angry about this. They hate any change.

by Anonymousreply 86July 27, 2018 11:45 PM

I've been using glass straws for ages. It's a little bizarre that people who thought I was weird for doing so years ago are now the ones on Facebook and Instagram posting about how they refuse to use plastic straws ever again. It's also weird that these are the same people who will post about how much they love their Keurigs. K-cups are a huge waste of plastic.

by Anonymousreply 87July 28, 2018 12:19 AM

R86, they don't make old people change when it comes to recycling. It's more hygienic to provide single-use straws and napkins to at-risk populations.

If you want older folks to be earth-friendly, get rid of this "aging in place" bullshit propping up the real estate market and convince them to find a good assisted living community where people share a roof, walls, and dining facilities.

by Anonymousreply 88July 28, 2018 12:39 AM

[quote] EU - always ahead of us on the ̶ ̶e̶n̶v̶i̶r̶o̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶v̶a̶c̶y̶ virtue signaling.

NBC News on Sunday backed off a dubious claim that Americans use 1.6 straws a day on average, after critics noted it was based on research from a nine-year-old boy whose methodology never has undergone any significant scrutiny.

NBC tweeted Sunday, “Correction: An earlier version of this article included a debunked statistic that Americans throw away 500M drinking straws a day, or 1.6 a day per person. Previous tweets with the article will be deleted, and an updated tweet will be issued.”

The article attributed the stats to the National Park Service but the agency was not the original source.

The park service actually got it from the recycling company Eco-Cycle, which in turn got it from the nine-year-old boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 28, 2018 12:40 AM

That's not true, R86, I always pay with cash and I carry a lot of change usually.

by Anonymousreply 90July 28, 2018 12:43 AM

Like I give a shit what people about political correctness in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 91July 28, 2018 12:49 AM

I'm noticing more people using steel straws. Attractive people lol.

by Anonymousreply 92July 28, 2018 2:43 AM

[quote] I'm noticing more people using steel straws

And the cops can't arrest you for carrying a straw now can they.

by Anonymousreply 93July 28, 2018 2:52 AM

Remember whgen McDonald's had Sippy Dippers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 28, 2018 2:59 AM

when....

by Anonymousreply 95July 28, 2018 2:59 AM

Wonderful trend.

by Anonymousreply 96July 28, 2018 3:03 AM

Give it a few years and we will be bringing back the Milkman because those plastic gallon jugs are killing us all.

If only Old Navy could reunite the old gang and convince American's that performance fleece is stylish -- weren't they made from recycled plastic or some shit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 28, 2018 3:03 AM

R97, milk itself is going out the window. Fleece fibers get into the water. Like microbeads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 28, 2018 3:05 AM

I'm stocking up on straws, and the next thing you know they'll band plastic utensils. This is all because of some litter bugs.

by Anonymousreply 99July 28, 2018 3:51 AM

When straws are outlawed, only outlaws will have straws.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 28, 2018 4:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!