Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any birdwatchers on DL?

If so, can you explain what drew you to the hobby and what about it appeals to you?

by Anonymousreply 9304/21/2019

It's a way of getting my mind off my troubles by paying close attention to nature. Getting out into the woods and stalking the wildlife takes tremendous concentration on the natural world, which resets something in the brain and mitigates the effect of my high-stress job.

Also, it's a way to go on small quests! Taking a long weekend to go to Big Sur too look for California Condors is more fun than just going to Big Sur to hang out.

by Anonymousreply 105/08/2018

Great insights, r1 ; thanks!

Any suggestions for a novice birder?

by Anonymousreply 205/08/2018

I'm a novice birdwatcher as well. I guess what fascinates me is that there are so many kinds, some more beautiful than others, some more rare than others. Each kind with a specific behaviour. I also like butterflys and dragonflys.

As R1 said it provides a good reason for going out into nature, but it's also soothing just to watch birds from the living room window.

by Anonymousreply 305/08/2018

[quote]Any suggestions for a novice birder?

Try to find a purple Martin early in the morning. It’s divine.

by Anonymousreply 405/08/2018

My suggestions for a novice birder, R2? My primary suggestion is just get outside and look around! Go to your local hiking trails and hike, take your binoculars and camera along and see what you see, and maybe try to puzzle out things you saw and didn't understand when you get home.

The worst that can happen is that you get some exercise.

by Anonymousreply 505/08/2018

Thanks R5

by Anonymousreply 605/08/2018

Then I find this ...

by Anonymousreply 708/20/2018

Me. I love my hummingbirds. They make me so utterly happy. Yes, I know...MARY!

by Anonymousreply 808/20/2018

In a world in which 90% of the population is glued to their electronic devices, birdwatching holds a certain appeal.

The hermit thrush, like most members of the thrush family, has a hauntingly beautiful song.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2019

Thanks for that, r9! I’ve heard that song but have never been able to identify it.

by Anonymousreply 1004/14/2019

No problem, r10! It's almost ethereal.

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2019

One of my favourite songs is that of the Western Meadowlark. I used to hear this when I first woke in the morning. I took it for granted at the time. The prairie land near our house was later "developed".

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2019

The White-throated sparrow is a sweet little bird.

Check out this guy's YouTube channel - great bird and nature videos!

by Anonymousreply 1304/14/2019

Beautiful r12/r13

by Anonymousreply 1404/14/2019

[quote] If so, can you explain what drew you to the hobby and what about it appeals to you

No. I can’t.

by Anonymousreply 1504/14/2019

I still have white throated sparrows. They stick around til the end of May. Last week I had tons of juncos, but it wasn’t because it was going to snow. They were tanking up for the migration back up north and into mountains to the west. They’re usually gone by the end of Tax Week.

by Anonymousreply 1604/14/2019

I like the song and plumage of birds, but mostly I like the fact that they are dinosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 1704/14/2019

I never liked barn owls, but this video is rather haunting

by Anonymousreply 1804/14/2019

Starlings are trying to get into my house via the roof. I hear the:in the morning but when I go outside to see where they are, they disappear. They’re abominable birds when it comes to getting into houses. They’re very good at it

by Anonymousreply 1904/14/2019

Incoming!

by Anonymousreply 2004/14/2019

I REALLY dislike starlings, r19, mainly because they're invasive and compete with native species for food/nesting sites.

by Anonymousreply 2104/14/2019

OP, do you live in an urban area in the East? If you do, one of the best places for birding is in an old, large, garden cemetery. In NYC, you should try Green-Wood in Brooklyn. It’s still an active cemetery, so you have to be respectful, but it is essentially an arboretum in the middle of New York, with much fewer people than, say, Central Park, so more wildlife.

At the link is Mt. Auburn near Boston. It was the first “Garden Cemetery” in the US. It’s very quiet and peaceful. Today, they actually have a wedding coordinator at the cemetery because of the interest. This is from Wikipedia:

[quote] The cemetery is nondenominational and continues to make space available for new plots. The area is well known for its beautiful environs and is a favorite location for bird-watchers; over 220 species of birds have been observed at the cemetery since 1958. Guided tours of the cemetery's historic, artistic, and horticultural points of interest are available...Mount Auburn's collection of over 5,500 trees includes nearly 700 species and varieties.

by Anonymousreply 2204/14/2019

The male pheasant who spent the winter in my yard eating my birdseed is gone. I hope he went back to the fields to mate. He came here to get away from the hunters. Interesting bird. More friendly than my guinea fowl, and smarter, of course. Doesn’t take much to be smarter than a guinea fowl. But guineas are endearing with their clowny faces.

by Anonymousreply 2304/14/2019

Last spring I heard a bird singing on a rooftop at a nearby apartment not a high rise . . He was singing a full hour . So beautiful . It was a blackbird .

by Anonymousreply 2404/14/2019

Drink your tea is here! Every year in spring and fall I get an Eastern towhee (formerly called the rufous side towhee) for a few weeks. I always forget their name and call them “drink your tea” or “dweet,” which are the sounds they make

by Anonymousreply 2504/14/2019

This one shows the first bird singing “drink your tea” in the beginning and the second bird does the “dweet” call (or “doo weet.”)

by Anonymousreply 2604/14/2019

Yep, been a birdwatcher longer than I care to admit. I like the connection to nature that it gives me. Also, when I’m traveling I get to look for birds that don’t live in my area. When I was a kid I had corvids- magpies and crows as pets. Those birds thought they were little humans with wings. Their intelligence really gave me an appreciation for all animals, but birds are still my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 2704/14/2019

R19 When I get up to perform my ablutions in my bathroom I can hear the starlings - they've infiltrated the area around the exhaust. The Wikipedia article reports that they migrate south for the winter but I know that they around all year no matter how cold it gets. I curse the guy that introduced them to North America. He had the stupid idea to introduce every bird species mentioned in Shakespeare. Their numbers are declining in Britain so maybe there is hope for North America.

by Anonymousreply 2804/14/2019

After I stoped feeding my Blue Jays, (neighbor complained), they came around squawking outside. When that didn’t work, one of the tapped quite diligently on the window.

Can’t find the video right now.

by Anonymousreply 2904/14/2019

We call them ‘twitchers’ where I’m from.

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2019

r29 I used to dislike blue jays, but now I find them fascinating. One of my favorite species.

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2019

Is that an indigo bunting, op?

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2019

Blue jays make a lot of sounds. They’re good at imitating hawk screeches. All the other birds at the feeder hear the sound of the “hawk” and take off, leaving all the seeds to the blue jays. In late summer and early fall, you can hear juvenile blue jays experimenting with their voices. They somet8 s sound like theyre talking to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3304/15/2019

Yes r32 -- one of my favorites, although I haven't seen one since youth

by Anonymousreply 3404/15/2019

I live in an apartment building in downtown Los Angeles and from my balcony I can see hawks, mourning doves, blackbirds, seagulls, different kinds of wrens. I have my hummingbirds of course - two small feeders - And dragonflies.

I’m not sure if they are Cooper’s Hawk’s or California red tail hawks but they come right down into the courtyard after pigeons and toddlers and such.

I don’t even have to leave my balcony! Just now there are two rather upset (and enormous) blackbirds divebombing one another and I don’t know what their deal is.

by Anonymousreply 3504/15/2019

Remarkable marvels of nature

by Anonymousreply 3604/15/2019

Ive told this story before. It was the night before Halloween a few years ago and I put orange icicle lights on my porch. I walked into the yard so I could see how the porch looked and I saw a little orange ball in my front yard tree. I walked to the tree and realized it was a little eastern screech Owl. The orange lights were being reflected from its white belly feathers. I wondered how many times that little owl had been sitting in the tree and I just walked right past, never seeing it before. It sat for a while and I tried to take its picture but it was just too dark - I couldn’t see out the viewfinder. He flew off after being annoyed by my flash. It was just a lil juvenile, so cute.

Another time I heard a weird sound in my neighborhood at night in early fall. Like a kitten that was hurt. I walked around and found it - a little short eared Owl. I read up on them and apparently the parents teach them how to catch food, then fly off and leave them alone. The birds sometimes cry for their parents. That’s what this one was doing, just sitting up in a tree crying.

I get great horned owls a lot in my housing development. We’re surrounded by fields, so the owls like to hang out in the neighborhood trees at night. They do sound spooky. I’m not fond of them because they eat birds, rabbits and small pets. I have guinea fowl who sleep in my trees, so I chase them off my property.

Eastern screech owls can sound like a screaming woman. They can also sound like horses neighing and can make a whirring sound. Unfortunately a heavy snowfall took down the lower branches of my front yard tree, so I’ve never been able to see the little screech owl in the teee again. But I heard it this past Halloween as I was putting lights on my privet hedge.

Here’s a screech owl. It makes the scream sound, then the whir, then the whinny

by Anonymousreply 3704/15/2019

Thanks for the Blue Bunting.

by Anonymousreply 3804/15/2019

They’re cute, sing well and you can collect them like Pokémon. I’m always thrilled to spot a lifer.

by Anonymousreply 3904/15/2019

Painted Bunting

by Anonymousreply 4004/15/2019

I live in Texas at the northwestern tip of the Gulf under a busy Flyway. My backyard is large, 2/3 filled with trees and the 1/3 cleared. Since I bought the house 6 years ago and began feeding birds year 'round, some are using it as a resting/meeting place after traversing the Gulf. They usually stay a couple of weeks, then head north to final destinations.

In March there was a hummingbird pair. Now, the Indigo Buntings have been arriving a few at a time, and as of yesterday, 12 males and some accompanying females were feeding on my deck. They are early. Last year's group of 30 didn't arrive until April 20. I also get a few Painted Buntings, Grosbeaks and others.

Typical of those that stay the year are the Northern Cardinals, Bluejays, Doves, Mockingbirds, Robins, Sparrows and Finches. 12 of the Doves homestead here and the group swells to 60 in the summer. Also around the neighborhood are two species of Woodpeckers and Owls. One Great-Horned Owl was pushed from its nest as a baby. I found it injured, brought it back to health and he called my deck home for 2 years until he died from a virus.

When I was younger, I used to breed finches indoors. Besides many of the Australian species, I also bred several wild-caught African finches.

by Anonymousreply 4104/15/2019

Here’s a plain Robin. He happened by earlier this week.

by Anonymousreply 4204/15/2019

I meant “common”, not “plain”, at R42. He came by again to show off, once he heard he was on DataLounge.

I know these Robins are common, but he’s right in front of my camera! I don’t seem to get any exotic birds. I’ll have to settle for common birds, acting-up.

by Anonymousreply 4304/16/2019

I love robins.

by Anonymousreply 4404/16/2019

I rarely see them on the radio, but here they are.

by Anonymousreply 4504/16/2019

Please explain, R45. Ty.

by Anonymousreply 4604/16/2019

Don't birds fly in through your open windows, land on your radio, and tweet along to the music playing?

by Anonymousreply 4704/17/2019

OP, do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near? That happens to me all the time.

by Anonymousreply 4804/17/2019

Fascinating

by Anonymousreply 4904/18/2019

The veery thrush has a haunting song as well.

by Anonymousreply 5004/18/2019

Brown headed cowbirds are reared by other birds, since they’re nest parasites, but when they reach adulthood, they join other groups of cowbirds. They don’t grow up to think they’re adult finches.

by Anonymousreply 5104/18/2019

I like hearing the song I’d white throated sparrows on warm winter days. They’ll be leaving soon. They stay here til about mid May.

by Anonymousreply 5204/18/2019

I hear a black-winged blackbird every morning.

by Anonymousreply 5304/18/2019

^^^ red-winged blackbird

by Anonymousreply 5404/18/2019

Haha, thanks r54

by Anonymousreply 5504/18/2019

The jays like peanuts -- best roasted or raw?

by Anonymousreply 5604/18/2019

R18 The barn owl in that video really does remind me of a ghost. Never noticed that before.

by Anonymousreply 5704/18/2019

I'm planning a trip to Churchill, Canada, to watch. I'm hoping for sightings of Gyrfalcons, tundra swans, Snowy owls and Harlequin ducks.

by Anonymousreply 5804/18/2019

I would love to see a snowy owl, r58

by Anonymousreply 5904/18/2019

I've seen one before, but I didn't have a good view of it. Fingers crossed that I'll come across one in the north.

by Anonymousreply 6004/18/2019

I just watched an episode of grackle “love” take place in my backyard.

by Anonymousreply 6104/18/2019
by Anonymousreply 6204/18/2019

I’ve already got grackle fledglings in my yard. They return in late Feb/first week of March and start nesting immediately.

by Anonymousreply 6304/18/2019

I love these little owlets

by Anonymousreply 6404/18/2019

Officers, life doesn't have to be ugly. See, look at the birds out there. Listen to their call.

by Anonymousreply 6504/18/2019

R56, I give mine plain unsalted peanuts in the shell. They don’t always recognize unshelled peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 6604/18/2019

I'm going to the Texas gulf coast next week, to relieve job-related stress by birdwatching. I plan to see roseate spoonbills and purple gallinues, among others!

There have been reports of Whooping Cranes in the area where I'll be. Any advice or cautions re seeing them?

by Anonymousreply 6704/18/2019

Varied thrush - the Twin Peaks bird.

by Anonymousreply 6804/18/2019

This sounds fascinating. I have always wanted to get close and personal with nature. This cutie is next on my list.

by Anonymousreply 6904/18/2019

Chickadee ♥️

by Anonymousreply 7004/18/2019

Bald eagle nest.

by Anonymousreply 7104/19/2019

Puffins!

by Anonymousreply 7204/19/2019

I’m so jealous of the people who have seen and recorded these beautiful birds!

I once awoke to this bizarre screeching outside my window. It was a hawk in a tree. Just feet away. I took some poor pictures before it flew off. Now, even the tree is gone. But that’s about it. I live in the city so must make due with mostly common birds.

by Anonymousreply 7304/19/2019

[quote] R67: There have been reports of Whooping Cranes in the area where I'll be. Any advice or cautions re seeing them?

Make sure you get vaccinated first!

by Anonymousreply 7404/19/2019

I love loons.

by Anonymousreply 7504/19/2019

These little guys have been visiting my feeders recently. Spring is really here!

by Anonymousreply 7604/19/2019

Chauncey the Cardinal pays a visit.

by Anonymousreply 7704/20/2019

[quote] These little guys have been visiting my feeders recently. Spring is really here

Some of them were probably at your feeder all winter. They were just a different color

by Anonymousreply 7804/20/2019

Better pic

by Anonymousreply 7904/20/2019

omg, Downy Woodpecker in distress!

by Anonymousreply 8004/20/2019

Wtf is r80

by Anonymousreply 8104/21/2019

That’s a very lucky kookaburra @ R80.

by Anonymousreply 8204/21/2019

It won't play for me

by Anonymousreply 8304/21/2019

Ich bin gut zu vögeln.

by Anonymousreply 8404/21/2019

How a play on words, R84? My vague high school German translants that as "I am good to birds".

by Anonymousreply 8504/21/2019

I think vögeln means "fuck" colloquially r85

by Anonymousreply 8604/21/2019

Vögel = birds, you've got that one right, R85.

'good to birds' = 'gut zu Vögeln'.

However, write 'Vögeln' without the initial capital letter and the word turns into a verb, meaning 'to fuck'

by Anonymousreply 8704/21/2019

"I am good to fucks"?

by Anonymousreply 8804/21/2019

I am nice / good to birds

vs

I am a great fuck

by Anonymousreply 8904/21/2019

I saw a Northern Mockingbird this evening

by Anonymousreply 9004/21/2019

Our neighborhood mockingbird imitates car alarms and squirrels. At 3 in the morning, but I don't mind.

by Anonymousreply 9104/21/2019

I know they're common, but I just love chickadees.

by Anonymousreply 9204/21/2019

I have mockingbirds, catbirds (handsome birds and make almost as many sounds as mockingbirds), blue jays, cardinals, grackles, RWBB, juncos, white throated sparrows, robins, Carolina wrens and song sparrows in my yard. I’m hearing RWBBs give an alarm call right now, which means there’s a hawk somewhere. The grackles and jays will join in the melee to chase the hawk away.

by Anonymousreply 9304/21/2019
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!