Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Estelle Parsons is 90 years old and still looks amazing on the execrable, rebooted Roseanne

I finally watched last night's episode and her two Academy Awards really shine in her acting of today. She is only a thousand times the actor of every other character. Including Gilbert, Goodman, and Metcalf who, besides looking terrible, have been phoning it in on the reboot. Parsons looks better than everyone else at 90 years old. She is still feisty, tough, and has all her mental faculties. Thank god for old people. Bernhard looks like a plastic mannequin that has been sitting in garbage for thirty years. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 173May 14, 2019 7:33 AM

She does not have two Academy Awards. She has one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2018 7:25 PM

She only has ONE academy award OP (for Bonnie and Clyde)......get your facts straight before you post

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2018 7:25 PM

She has three Academy Awards, you stupid cunts.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2018 7:37 PM

I liked her on Grace and Frankie. I will not watch Rosanne.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2018 7:39 PM

r3.....list them you imbecile.....

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2018 7:39 PM

She was originally supposed to play Mrs. Voorhees in Friday the 13th.

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2018 7:41 PM

It's the four Academy Awards she has that REALLY impresses me :)

by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2018 7:47 PM

I agree op, she hardly aged at all. It's true she looks more like a sister now to Roseanne and Laurie (as pointed out by that old dude from Back to the future?)

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2018 7:48 PM

R7 Exactly. Her fifth one was a cherry on top.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2018 7:55 PM

Estelle Parsons will NEVER be an Oscar winner! What are you dipshits going on about?

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2018 7:57 PM

Not true R10 I was there when she won her sixth AA.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2018 8:06 PM

There ARE roles for old women if they age naturally.

It's funny. at this point, Parson seems younger than "beauty" Jane Fonda.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2018 8:11 PM

The lady richly deserves her Oscar wins...that they are in the triple digits speaks for itself!

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2018 8:13 PM

When visiting friends in the Village, I used to see Estelle on the N train, guess she lives downtown. I told her she was fabulous, I got a huge smile, a Thank You and a laugh. This was over 20+ years ago.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2018 8:17 PM

R13 Wins!

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2018 8:19 PM

Ok queens settle down. One Oscar. She does look good though.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2018 8:25 PM

She looks great considering she started her career under the weather.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2018 8:44 PM

The Oscar's use to be so classy.

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2018 8:45 PM

The Oscar's...............what?

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2018 8:47 PM

Should’ve invited her back to present this year being the 50 th anniversary of her win. She didn’t get to present the Oscar to Jack Albertson year after she won (nominated this year too) because she was on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2018 8:52 PM

I thought it particularly classy of her to fight the Guinness World Book of Records people....she REALLY didn't want her record Oscar wins to be noted.

Lovely lady and a hell of an actress.

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2018 8:55 PM

If she weren't so beautiful she would have had Meryl's career. She turned down August Osage County because she didn't WANT another Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2018 8:56 PM

Now that we have seen the train wreck of the new Roseanne episodes, I have a new appreciation for how amazing of an actor Parsons is. Shelley Winters, another two time Academy Award winner, was also amazing as Nana Mary. Roseanne was lucky to have these two.

by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2018 9:05 PM

[quote]It's the four Academy Awards she has that REALLY impresses me :)

Shut your filthy whore's mouth!

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2018 9:11 PM

A whore's mouth is never closed but rather always filled with big juicy cock.

by Anonymousreply 25May 3, 2018 2:42 AM

One of my rental units is filled with just Estelle's Oscars. I let her store them there as a favor because she doesn't have the space at home.

by Anonymousreply 26May 3, 2018 2:48 AM

A little RESPECT! She has taken her name OUT of future Oscar consideration, as she feels it is just not fair to hog so many.

She has 12 Oscars, 8 Emmys, 6 Grammys....yet only 2 Tonys (which is a bit odd.)

She also has 50 Peoples Choice Awards, and nearly won Project Runway All Stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 3, 2018 3:30 AM

I didn't even recognize Crystal in last night's episode. She barely had a line...the Uber passenger had more to say.

by Anonymousreply 28May 3, 2018 3:47 AM

She did August Osage county a decade ago and was great.

by Anonymousreply 29May 3, 2018 3:52 AM

Nothing will top her Evita, tho.

by Anonymousreply 30May 3, 2018 4:10 AM

Bernhard looks like a plastic mannequin that has been sitting in garbage for thirty years.

So what you're saying is she hasn't changed in 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 31May 3, 2018 4:16 AM

Her Roxie Hart was the bee's knees.

by Anonymousreply 32May 3, 2018 4:16 AM

Her next Playboy photo spread will set another record.

by Anonymousreply 33May 3, 2018 4:17 AM

R31 Touché. I want your dick in me (or your faux dick if you are a lezzie). There is enough room in there, along with Estelle's hundreds of Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 34May 3, 2018 4:29 AM

It's also well known she's a Rhodes Scholar, and teaches summer courses in Quantum Theory at Cambridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2018 6:05 AM

Roseanne, Metcalf and Goodman seem borderline decrepit on this reboot. They look tired, winded. The show feels like it takes so much effort for them all. I keep thinking "well, they're old." They aren't that old. Then I see a rerun of the Golden Girls which is zippy and energetic with four old hags and realize there's no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2018 6:59 AM

Laurie Metcalf won a Tony Award last year, and is nominated again this year. She also got her first oscar nomination and has three movies coming out. And she's co-starring in Roseanne. So, R36, no wonder she's tired!

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2018 7:06 AM

Exactly r37. I think Metcalf is the biggest disappointment on this show.

by Anonymousreply 38May 3, 2018 7:10 AM

Considering in the original series Goodman and Roseanne were obese and in generally poor health, it makes sense that now they would both look like shut. Metcalf must have poor genes and like a typical white lady aged like a banana. Gilbert looks weather worn and long in the tooth but Lecy Goranson at least looks really good for all of her 44 years. Must be Goranson's two Oscars that have kept her vital and youthful. Two Oscars have kept Estelle in amazing shape. Better than Betty White even. Betty was OK at 90 but now she is corpsey and is not as fast.

by Anonymousreply 39May 3, 2018 7:11 AM

The original ROSEANNE was too tacky for words...and I;m not going to start watching it now.

by Anonymousreply 40May 3, 2018 7:15 AM

R39 shut=shit. Fucking god damn predictive text.

by Anonymousreply 41May 3, 2018 7:15 AM

I enjoyed the original Roseanne and have been re-watching it on Prime, but the new one is uninspired. I agree Metcalfe is really disappointing, because she was so good in the original.

I'm highly doubting the "filmed in front of a live audience" claim, unless the live audience isn't laughing and they've then added a laugh track.

by Anonymousreply 42May 3, 2018 7:23 AM

I wish Jackie was portrayed as being less of a spaz. She excels at it but less is more. All the maternal I hate my mom shit has never been funny.

by Anonymousreply 43May 3, 2018 7:28 AM

What happened to Jackies kid? Has that been addressed?

by Anonymousreply 44May 3, 2018 7:31 AM

R44 Not till next season. They only had a few episodes this season obviously. Poor DJ has not had a time to shine. Very sad. And Johnny Galecki was made into a loser. They could have made Darlene and David into good successful people but nope, in the Roseanne universe everyone is a fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 45May 3, 2018 7:45 AM

" I agree Metcalf is really disappointing, because she was so good in the original."

I just want to point out. Metcalf was brilliant the first 6 seasons. The show really started to fall apart in season 7, and the last season was horrendous. And that kind of included Metcalf. After season 6, it appeared they didn't know how to further evolve her character, and Jackie became a caricature. All braying and mugging. Metcalf went from brilliant to excruciating. Unfortunately, they have her playing it the same way. Very sad and disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 46May 3, 2018 4:33 PM

[quote] in the Roseanne universe everyone is a fucking loser.

Know your audience.

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2018 4:38 PM

Back to the topic - yes, I agree I couldn't believe Estellle looked and acted so spry for her age. She looks far better than Betty White did in her 'comeback' a few years ago.

HOWEVER - I always thought in the original series Estelle never was able to adapt to television acting. It was too theater - playing to the back of the room like she's used to. Over the top gestures, voice and too theatrical. She seems to do better this time around though.

by Anonymousreply 48May 3, 2018 4:42 PM

R48 "Estelle never was able to adapt to television acting"

I agree, but I think it worked within the context. It was easier to understand how/why Roseanne and Jackie couldn't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2018 4:46 PM

When they wrote Christopher Lloyd's line that Roseanne and Jackie looked like Estelle's sisters, it was supposed to be funny but I wonder if they were pointing out how terrible Roseanne and Jackie really do look. And that it was the truth.

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2018 4:50 PM

R47 Yes dear, everyone knows you are a fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2018 4:52 PM

It never made sense to me that Roseanns and Jackie’s mother was this grand dame with a snooty accent. Shouldn’t Roseanne have had a white trash mom?

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2018 4:55 PM

R52 Don't forget that originally Roseanne's parents were just normal working class people. Tom Arnold mentioned to Roseanne that he was sexually involved with his babysitter or some such shit. So then Roseanne had her parents rewrote as horrible abusive people. Roseanne had severe mental illness back then and it was reflected in the writing and also in how awful the show became. Season two to five were stellar in terms of writing and acting but in the middle of six is when Tom Arnold left and the show was horrible after that, all thanks to Roseanne's psychotic control of the series. A bud and I predicted that based on how awful season six to eight were that the reboot would pick right up where they left off. And sure enough the reboot sucks as bad as those. I don't even include the lottery season as part of the original series, it was so awful.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2018 5:07 PM

"Poor DJ has not had a time to shine. Very sad."

STOP THIS. Stop talking like Cheetolini. Just STOP IT.

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2018 5:18 PM

More about my awards, pleaz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2018 5:27 PM

Janbot is such a huge monumental cunt, she could fit 10 000 Oscars in her rusted out, persnickety snatch.

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2018 5:31 PM

She never had to work at all as she was a wealthy ammonia heiress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2018 5:34 PM

r57 Roseanne needs to use a couple of gallons of that on her snatch.

by Anonymousreply 58May 3, 2018 5:46 PM

I saw heri in the frozen food aisle at Ralphs last week and asked what’s her secret to young skin and she replied “why, Oscar gold dust masks, darling!”

by Anonymousreply 59May 3, 2018 6:01 PM

I love Estelle Parsons. She was terrific in August: Osage County. She really did deserve all 78 of her Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 60May 3, 2018 6:45 PM

She also was great on an episode of Frasier.

by Anonymousreply 61May 3, 2018 7:13 PM

As much as I loathe Orca Winfrey, Estelle here shows how she maintains her youthful glow whilst holding her two Oscars no less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 3, 2018 7:15 PM

She did discover Jessica Chastain but I’ll forgive her.

by Anonymousreply 63May 3, 2018 7:41 PM

Speaking of looking terrible, white people age like bananas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 3, 2018 8:24 PM

They dry up, like a banana in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 65May 3, 2018 8:50 PM

Then there is this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 3, 2018 8:54 PM

And pass on their generational wealth.

by Anonymousreply 67May 3, 2018 8:54 PM

Estelle Parsons may look good, but she didn't age "naturally." She had a face lift during the original Roseanne show,

by Anonymousreply 68May 3, 2018 8:55 PM

[quote] Estelle never was able to adapt to television acting

Mm, don't agree. She played just fine on Grace & Frankie.

by Anonymousreply 69May 3, 2018 8:57 PM

I just watched R62's video of Estelle at 87. Not only does she look great for her age - she's in fantastic shape for anyone over 70.

Dear youngsters, if you're fortunate enough to live to the age of 87 and still be able to walk, see, hear and have most of your mind, you'll be lucky. That's not the way it works for 98% of the population.

by Anonymousreply 70May 3, 2018 9:09 PM

Estelle Parsons looks good at 90 because she has ALWAYS looked old. Homely and old.

I never liked the original "Roseanne" , so I'm not going to watch this desperate reboot. I did watch a few clips of it on YouTube, including the one where Grandma Roseanne shoves her granddaughter's head under a faucet and drenches her with a spray nozzle (how charming). The actress who plays Darlene's awful daughter Harris looks the same age as her mother.

ALL the characters on this show look embalmed for some reason. I know the show is supposed to be "realistic" but I don't think I could stomach watching a bunch of people this ugly week after week.

by Anonymousreply 71May 3, 2018 9:19 PM

Plastic surgery is good if done right. Obviously. Unless you end up looking like Joan or Janet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 3, 2018 9:24 PM

A classic working actress.

It seems like only yesterday when she and Erin Moran both took home Oscars for Watermelon Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 3, 2018 9:39 PM

I worked behind the scenes on Broadway. I've seen older actors come to work on and look decrepit and ready to die only to watch them come alive on stage. Such a mind fuck. But I have to say everyday Parsons was full of energy and still starred in "August, Osage County" . Spent two hours running up and down a three floor house set and I don't know how she did eight times a week, all the while giving a great performance.

[quote]Laurie Metcalf won a Tony Award last year, and is nominated again this year. She also got her first oscar nomination and has three movies coming out. And she's co-starring in Roseanne.

Met her last weekend and I congratulated her and her daughter on a fabulous year in their careers and she genuinely seemed touched. She was warm and sweet, so I didn't kick her in the ass for colluding with Roseanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 3, 2018 9:47 PM

I love that set.

So similar yet so very different from Barbie Townhouse The Boys in the Band one.

by Anonymousreply 75May 3, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote] She was warm and sweet, so I didn't kick her in the ass for colluding with Roseanne.

I don't blame her, really. A few seasons of Roseanne 2.0 is her retirement account, and I don't begrudge her that. I think Barr needs to be muzzled or be under psychiatric care, but that's not her fault.

For Metcalfe especially, I will watch her in almost anything.

by Anonymousreply 76May 3, 2018 10:18 PM

[quote]A few seasons of Roseanne 2.0 is her retirement account

Maybe she'll set aside some money to finish law school.

by Anonymousreply 77May 3, 2018 10:29 PM

I love Estelle on Roseanne but her Oscar performance in "Bonnie and Clyde" was horrific. She was also 40 years old playing a 22 year old. The real Blanche Barrow was really angry about her portrayal. "That movie made me look like a screaming horse's ass."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 3, 2018 11:46 PM

In R1 clip at the Oscars how times have changed, they didn't announce the nominees alphabetical and there was no applause until the winner was announced. So dignified.

by Anonymousreply 79May 3, 2018 11:55 PM

The first alien abduction movie starring Estelle and James earl Jones based on a true story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 3, 2018 11:56 PM

I never knew the real Blanche was kind of attractive. Thanks, r78.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 3, 2018 11:57 PM

Estelle's grandson Eben Britton used to play professional football

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 4, 2018 12:21 AM

Her other grandson Gus Britton is an actor, writer, model

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 4, 2018 12:23 AM

R78, she had to pretend to be married to Gene Hackman, so she could have been 60.

by Anonymousreply 84May 4, 2018 12:25 AM

Older women who are of average to thin frame always look much better with a pixey hairdo. It makes them look younger and more vibrant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 4, 2018 12:32 AM

Blanche Barrow was young and very good looking, much better looking than Bonnie Parker. Estelle Parsons was such an odd choice to play her; ugly and much too old. And what was up with all that screeching and screaming?I guess they wanted the character of Blanche to be hysterical and overwrought all the time, but Parson's performance made her seem like a retard. I didn't think it was deserving of an Oscar. Faye Dunaway was much more deserving of the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 86May 4, 2018 12:57 AM

Melissa Gilbert looks like Corey Feldman with a vagina.

by Anonymousreply 87May 4, 2018 2:33 AM

I saw Estelle Parsons in August Osage County. It seemed like she was on stage for the entire play which was more like three than two hours long. At 80 her energy was phenomenal. What is the secret? Genes, clean living??

by Anonymousreply 88May 4, 2018 2:50 AM

Her "secret" is probably genes and taking good care of herself, not drinking, not drugging, getting enough sleep and looking after her health. A profession in the the theater demands a lot of energy and stamina; I guess she took care of herself in order to keep doing it. And indeed she must have come from good stock to still be going strong at her age.

by Anonymousreply 89May 4, 2018 3:15 AM

Whoops. I meant Sara Gilbert looks like Corey Feldman with a vagina.

by Anonymousreply 90May 4, 2018 4:55 AM

She does look great. Had hardly changed. To be fair Barr, Goodman and Metcalf all are holding up pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 91May 4, 2018 6:05 AM

Goodman looks terrible. Metcalfe clearly had a facelift but didn’t do her neck.

by Anonymousreply 92May 4, 2018 10:19 AM

Estelle was only 89 when she shot these episodes. Not 90.

by Anonymousreply 93May 4, 2018 11:37 AM

Laurie didn’t get anything done. She’s needs to.

by Anonymousreply 94May 4, 2018 11:38 AM

R90 made me choke on my morning coffee. It’s funny because it’s true.

by Anonymousreply 95May 4, 2018 11:44 AM

R94, Laurie had more than enough done.

R86, Estelle Parsons and Faye Dunaway were not nominated in the same category you idiot. If you don't like Parson's hysterical performance, try blaming director Arthur Penn and producer Warren Beatty. They obviously wanted it that way.

And for everyone else, Estelle Parsons is a character actor. She will not be able to fulfill your queeney glamor fantasies because that's not her job.

by Anonymousreply 96May 4, 2018 2:02 PM

Has the new show made mention of Nana, the great-grandmother played by the late, great Shelley Winters?

by Anonymousreply 97May 4, 2018 2:31 PM

Shelley Winters! It's a shame she never won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 98May 4, 2018 2:38 PM

No mention, R97. Just a small picture of her in the background.

by Anonymousreply 99May 4, 2018 2:54 PM

[quote]Shelley Winters! It's a shame she never won an Oscar.

She wasn't even NOMINATED! (Go to 36:15)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 4, 2018 3:08 PM

^ That interview is a hoot. I will go back later to watch the whole show.

Shelley is a very funny guest. I am not sure how much she is playing herself or how much is the real her.

by Anonymousreply 101May 4, 2018 3:21 PM

R97, DJ's kid is names Mary, so that's her representation. Little Mary is played by an 8-10 year old and is supposed to be 4.

by Anonymousreply 102May 4, 2018 3:52 PM

Getting an "Oscar" is NO guarantee of quality.

They gave one to Loretta Young.

by Anonymousreply 103May 4, 2018 4:01 PM

[quote]Speaking of looking terrible, white people age like bananas.

But they live longer.

by Anonymousreply 104May 4, 2018 4:09 PM

After 20 or so, the Oscars are so ordinary

by Anonymousreply 105May 4, 2018 4:45 PM

r104

No, the last oldest living person was Japanese who recently died and she was replaced by another Asian, and the prior oldest living person to them was a black Jamaican. There are lots of really old people of all races.

by Anonymousreply 106May 4, 2018 4:47 PM

R106 In the US whites on the whole far outlive blacks. On a world-wide scale whites and the Japanese live the longest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 4, 2018 5:09 PM

For fuck’s sake, could we stay on topic or are you bitches starving for more race-baiting and the endless back and forth that it invites?

by Anonymousreply 108May 4, 2018 6:53 PM

You never know where these threads are gonna go lol.

by Anonymousreply 109May 4, 2018 7:00 PM

Parsons was a two time NOMINEE, her win and another for "Rachel, Rachel." Or maybe the OP has her mixed up with the late Shelley Winters who was also on the show in its day -- and indeed had two Oscars (should've been more).

by Anonymousreply 110May 4, 2018 7:07 PM

R110 Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Everyone on the cast of Roseanne 2.0 has two or more Academy Awards.

by Anonymousreply 111May 4, 2018 7:12 PM

I don’t really care much about how she looks, but I agree her performance brings a lot of life that has been missing from the show. IMO Gilbert has been the star so far in all ways, including her performance that stands out from all her costars’—including Goodman and Metcalf. But she’s still a sitcom-caliber actor, and her character is so dour that she robs more energy than she lends. Roseanne has been VERY good at being the Roseanne character, which is that of a sassy domestic comedian, and Jackie is good ol’ Jackie—watching her at 60 is like watching Will and Grace at 50...how did they get so much older without maturing at all?

Parsons doesn’t seem any older energywise or line-deliverywise than she was 30 years ago, which is truly remarkable. The show would be wise to keep her on set for as long as possible.

I feel terrible for Leci Goranson. She is trying so hard to act.

by Anonymousreply 112May 4, 2018 7:32 PM

"Estelle Parsons and Faye Dunaway were not nominated in the same category you idiot. If you don't like Parson's hysterical performance, try blaming director Arthur Penn and producer Warren Beatty. They obviously wanted it that way."

I didn't say they were, you dumb fuck. And I've never heard anywhere that Arthur Penn and Warren Beatty "wanted" her to scream her lungs out all through the movie. I think that was just the way she wanted to play it, And it was indeed over the top and not worthy of an Oscar, you stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 113May 4, 2018 9:20 PM

It’s the era of Donald Trump, and you queens are really fighting about a 90 year-old sitcom actress?

by Anonymousreply 114May 4, 2018 9:31 PM

R113, what's the problem, mommy didn't let you stay up past your bedtime?

by Anonymousreply 115May 4, 2018 9:57 PM

[quote]And I've never heard anywhere that Arthur Penn and Warren Beatty "wanted" her to scream her lungs out all through the movie. I think that was just the way she wanted to play it, And it was indeed over the top and not worthy of an Oscar, you stupid shit.

Only a stupid shit thinks an actor just gets to play a role any old way they want. There wouldn't be a frame of Estelle Parsons in "Bonnie & Clyde" if Arthur Penn and Warren Beatty hadn't approved or directed her that way.

by Anonymousreply 116May 4, 2018 10:04 PM

[quote]R114 you queens are really fighting about a 90 year-old sitcom actress?

She is a 12-time Oscar winner, dammit!

And she was fabulous in CAMILLE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 4, 2018 11:17 PM

Listen dumb fuck at R116, there are a lot of directors and producers who give the actors in their films free rein to play a character the way they want to. They figure the actor knows what they're doing. Warren Beatty and Arthur allowed Estelle Parsons to play Blanche Barrow as a "screaming horse's ass" because they let her do her own thing, not because they "wanted" her to do it like that. Boy, you are really one stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 118May 4, 2018 11:29 PM

R118 There’s also the fact you don’t tell a multi-Oscar winner [italic]how[/italic] to play a role!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 5, 2018 12:21 AM

R118 Needs to shut the fuck up. Maybe huge stars like Brando can do whatever the fuck they want but a virtual unknown like Parsons is not gonna be given free reign. Do you have any intelligence at all? Get off the stage, you're embarrassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 120May 5, 2018 12:22 AM

My favorite of her Oscar-nominated performances is in the movie-of-the-week Terror on the Beach as the matriarch of a family that has to face an onslaught of hot delinquents in dune buggies.

She was robbed that year by Liza in Cabaret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 5, 2018 12:23 AM

Be careful what you wish for, r120.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 5, 2018 12:26 AM

"Needs to shut the fuck up. Maybe huge stars like Brando can do whatever the fuck they want but a virtual unknown like Parsons is not gonna be given free reign."

It's "rein", you dumb twat. And Parson wasn't exactly "unknown." Before "Bonnie and Clyde" she was an actress of note; she'd won a Theater World Award and an Obie. No doubt Penn and Beatty considered her an accomplished actress, which is why they cast her and let her play the role the way she wanted. They LET her chew the hell out of the scenery but they didn't TELL her to do it. And if anyone is embarrassing himself it's you, you silly dipshit. You're dumb as a bag of hammers.

by Anonymousreply 123May 5, 2018 12:48 AM

R123 is the biggest cunt who ever cunted. Yuck. Blocked. No arguing with a mental case. And it is free reign, you stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 124May 5, 2018 12:52 AM

R123 R124 Girls, [italic]girls,[/italic] you’re BOTH the biggest cunts!

by Anonymousreply 125May 5, 2018 12:54 AM

Anyone who thinks D list actors have free reign, and can do whatever the fuck they want in a movie, is a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 126May 5, 2018 1:16 AM

R124 is retarded. "Free rein" means "freedom of action or expression." "Reign" means "royal authority", or "the period during which a sovereign rules.What a pitiful, illiterate retard.

by Anonymousreply 127May 5, 2018 1:38 AM

R126 is the illiterate retard who thinks it's "free reign." Estelle Parsons was definitely not considered a "D-list actor", you poor dumb retard. She was hired because her talent was noted and admired. And indeed there are directors who give actors freedom to interpret a role the way they want to. You are an imbecile. You have shit for brains, you poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 128May 5, 2018 1:44 AM

Keep at it. This is veering into “bread in the fridge” levels of venom.

by Anonymousreply 129May 5, 2018 2:30 AM

Well, actors do audition, and you’re usually cast because they like what you did at the audition.

Probably Parsons auditioned in that style, with that take on the character...so both she and the director liked her going in that direction with the character of Blanche.

It was a meeting of minds, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 130May 5, 2018 4:31 AM

When I used to watch Roseanne as a kid I thought both her and Winters were absolutely horrible. It wasn't until rewatching as an adult that I got what they were doing. I liked her over the past two episodes. She looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 131May 5, 2018 5:40 AM

I thought it was "free rain".

by Anonymousreply 132May 5, 2018 8:19 AM

Free rhaen.

by Anonymousreply 133May 5, 2018 8:24 AM

I prefer free Lo Mein.

by Anonymousreply 134May 5, 2018 8:33 AM

R118/R123 way too stupid and arrogant to be using the "internets." And defiant too! I'm thinking either curmugeon of 85 or sensitive darling of 12 with mommy issues.

Btw: It's "rein", you dumb twat.

The comma goes INSIDE the quotation mark, dumb twat. i.e. It's "rein," you dumb twat.

by Anonymousreply 135May 5, 2018 2:29 PM

It wasn't a documentary. Parson's character was written to be hysterical to counter Bonnie's coolness in all the mayhem.

by Anonymousreply 136May 5, 2018 3:20 PM

estelle as brilliant as she is as an actress, , A real cunt to deal with. I have

by Anonymousreply 137May 5, 2018 4:06 PM

I felt sorry for her role as Roseanne's mother especially the 'outing' episode. It illustrated Roseanne's hatred of gays which I believe exists to this day.

by Anonymousreply 138May 5, 2018 4:11 PM

R137 Isn't it a given that everyone in NYC is a cunt. You can't use that against her.

by Anonymousreply 139May 5, 2018 4:52 PM

Xactly.

by Anonymousreply 140May 14, 2018 9:03 AM

Her four Oscars really shone through on her recent Roseanne performances.

by Anonymousreply 141June 10, 2018 6:24 PM

She won an Emmy* for playing Sally Field's evil mother in "Sybil".

Unfortunately, her juicy role as Mrs. Gardenia in "Rosemary's Baby" was left on the cutting room floor- some say due to the campaigning of Ruth Gordon (who went on to win the Oscar*).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142June 10, 2018 6:59 PM

Her fifth Oscar was divine.

by Anonymousreply 143July 13, 2018 5:25 AM

You might wanna be careful about tossing around the world "bananas," nonwhite person at R64 . . .

by Anonymousreply 144July 13, 2018 5:41 AM

Saw her on stage in Chicago in "Miss Margarida's Way" a million years ago. There was quite a bit of controversy over it at the time, but I, personally, think she TOTALLY deserved those Sarah Siddons, Pulitzer and Nobel prizes she took home that year.

by Anonymousreply 145July 13, 2018 5:51 AM

R145 Awesome. Meryl has nothing on Estelle's 200 Oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 146July 13, 2018 5:54 AM

In addition to her 37 Oscars, Nobel Peace Prize and 9 Olympic gold medals, she is my favorite winner of both RuPaul’s Drag Race AND RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars.

by Anonymousreply 147July 13, 2018 5:59 AM

R147 haha! I love you. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 148July 13, 2018 6:05 AM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 149July 14, 2018 2:19 AM

Hello Ms Parsons.

by Anonymousreply 150July 14, 2018 5:23 AM

Parsons is eternally awesome, she will dance on Betty White's grave. Full stop.

by Anonymousreply 151August 1, 2018 6:14 AM

Haha no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 152August 2, 2018 4:46 PM

We love you Estelle Parsons. Almost 100 and looks amazing! Your 5 Oscars make you a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 153October 17, 2018 6:28 AM

She is 97! Why oh why?

by Anonymousreply 154October 17, 2018 6:39 AM

[quote] Parsons is eternally awesome, she will dance on Betty White's grave. Full stop.

She be a pallbearer.

by Anonymousreply 155October 17, 2018 9:24 AM

Love her. She my queen fo sho.

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2018 6:53 PM

Eventual headline: Actress E. Parsons dead, won an oscar every year of her long career.

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2018 7:44 PM

90 and she can still work? How lucky for her.

by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2018 7:48 PM

97 and can still work.

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2018 10:12 PM

Still looks amazing? She didn't look amazing when she was 22.

by Anonymousreply 160October 21, 2018 12:31 AM

R160 Fuck you. Your whore of a mother probably tried to abort you several times but her demon seed somehow survived. I can only imagine how horrid you look.

by Anonymousreply 161October 21, 2018 12:38 AM

Love Estelle and her 5 Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 162January 14, 2019 6:22 AM

[quote]r153 We love you Estelle Parsons. Almost 100 and looks amazing! Your 5 Oscars make you a national treasure.

She will definitely beat out Lady Gaga this year. It is her 30th nomination, and she is due.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 14, 2019 6:36 AM

R153 I love you! Your so funny.

by Anonymousreply 164January 15, 2019 1:51 AM

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 165January 26, 2019 1:12 AM

[quote]Estelle Parsons is 90 years old and still looks amazing

Fuck you! Our EGOT Estelle is[bold] 90 years YOUNG!

by Anonymousreply 166January 27, 2019 12:38 AM

I wonder how she is doing with her 7 Oscars. I hope she doesn't slum it and do The Connors.

by Anonymousreply 167May 14, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote]r162 Love Estelle and her 5 Oscars.

It's really kind of 4 1/3 Oscars ... because one year she had that 3-way tie with Kath Hepburn and Babs (?)

by Anonymousreply 168May 14, 2019 6:25 AM

Oh god, I hope she isn't #3. I feel like we are jinxing her.

by Anonymousreply 169May 14, 2019 6:47 AM

R169 you and your fat ass and clogged arteries will go before Estelle. Estelle is eternal.

by Anonymousreply 170May 14, 2019 7:16 AM

How much would all her Oscars be worth, if she suddenly had to auction them off ... or melt them down?

by Anonymousreply 171May 14, 2019 7:19 AM

Estelle at 91 is more with it and lucid than most DLers over 50.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172May 14, 2019 7:25 AM

Estelle was marvelous in For Pete's Sake with Barbra!

by Anonymousreply 173May 14, 2019 7:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!