Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

AIDS Healthcare Foundation to convert Los Angeles hotel into $400/m rental for homeless

The AIDS Healthcare Foundation announced Monday that it has purchased a historic — and nearly unoccupied — downtown hotel as the next step in its initiative to provide affordable housing for homeless people. The foundation's new homeless division will refurbish the King Edward Hotel on the edge of skid row and lease its 150 rooms at rates as low as $400 per month, President Michael Weinstein said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 8, 2018 4:04 AM

This seems like a good idea. I hope the facility has equipped staff as well. But in the time it takes to renovate it, etc, 1,000 more people will be added to the homeless population.

by Anonymousreply 1May 2, 2018 2:48 PM

Money laundering operation?

by Anonymousreply 2May 2, 2018 2:52 PM

This is a good idea. Hope it catches on in other states and cities across the country.

by Anonymousreply 3May 2, 2018 2:57 PM

AHF must be flush with cash. Great if it works, though.

by Anonymousreply 4May 2, 2018 3:01 PM

I think a safe, single room is just what certain people need to provide some shelter while they reintegrate themselves into society.

by Anonymousreply 5May 2, 2018 3:04 PM

What's Weinstein's angle?

by Anonymousreply 6May 2, 2018 3:05 PM

On the second night after his church opened its parking lot to people living out of their cars, vans and other vehicles, Glenn Nishibayashi noticed a mother and daughter using one of the spaces.

He was interested in knowing how the previous evening worked out for them, and went over to inquire.

“This was the first good night’s sleep I’ve had in weeks,” the woman told him.

She explained that she was more accustomed to fitful nights parked on the street, staying half-awake so she could be alert to potentially being approached by strangers or rousted by police officers.

Members of St. Mary’s Episcopal Church were initially concerned about the possible risks of opening up their parking lot to down-and-out strangers. But talking to the mother and daughter reassured Nishibayashi that their congregation had made the right decision to give the program a try.

“This is exactly what this program is for,” said the 61-year-old Nishibayashi, whose grandparents helped found the historically Japanese American church located in what is now Los Angeles’ Koreatown.

“It gets rid of that worry, so you can function so much better,” he said. “This told me we were doing exactly the right thing.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 2, 2018 3:07 PM

Brilliant idea. Well done

by Anonymousreply 8May 2, 2018 3:28 PM

I hope this works. But pardon my skepticism.

by Anonymousreply 9May 2, 2018 3:33 PM

People who ought to be living in psychiatric facilities won’t find it suitable. But those who are able and in reasonable good mental health, considering they are homeless, may find it useful while they build up savings.

I mean, even AIR BNBs are expensive.

by Anonymousreply 10May 2, 2018 3:42 PM

Isn't even $400 a month a bit much if you're homeless? I mean they spend at least that much a month on meth.

by Anonymousreply 11May 2, 2018 3:42 PM

A year or two down the line and the place will look like a shithole, especially if many of the tenants are mentally disturbed, especially if the tenants include children, and either be abandoned by AHF or shut down by the City as a health and safety hazard.

by Anonymousreply 12May 2, 2018 3:56 PM

I'm assuming that once the renovations are completed, we can expect a "Tasteful Friends" posting here.

by Anonymousreply 13May 2, 2018 3:58 PM

Wonderful! I hope it's a solution that spreads. I'm going to contribute something to them right now.

by Anonymousreply 14May 2, 2018 3:58 PM

Will they have a business center? Offer a pillow menu?

by Anonymousreply 15May 2, 2018 4:04 PM

This is excellent! At those rates, maybe even Scott Pruitt can afford one.

by Anonymousreply 16May 2, 2018 4:05 PM

Those people are just going to crap all over the hallways and spread hepatitis.

by Anonymousreply 17May 2, 2018 4:16 PM

"AHF must be flush with cash."

Maybe Jim Nabors left them his fortune?

by Anonymousreply 18May 2, 2018 4:17 PM

The problem is that most homeless people can't come up with money to pay the rent even if it's only $400.00/mo.

by Anonymousreply 19May 2, 2018 4:47 PM

That may be true, R19, but after working with this population what I found was that many were elderly or disabled, unable to find jobs and below the income level necessary to rent in higher income areas. Many city rents are outrageous since the decline of rent control. This low rent is affordable for them because SS retirement and SSD will cover it for most of them, with a little left over. One lady I know makes only 600.00 a month with SS, but she could live there and still afford to eat if she's careful.

by Anonymousreply 20May 2, 2018 4:51 PM

Is Joey Lawrence listening?

by Anonymousreply 21May 2, 2018 4:54 PM

R12, I’m afraid you are right. And a portion of the homeless population are homeless because they can’t/don’t want to follow the rules and honor agreements. NOT ALL. It would be interesting to see how they handle people who don’t.

But I hope it can help some.

by Anonymousreply 22May 2, 2018 4:55 PM

In my neighborhood (UES), there are a few small shelters. Aside from residents who loiter and smoke at the entrance, they don’t seem to cause any problems. I don’t think a shelter as large as this one can keep a handle on the residents very well. I don’t know much about it, though.

by Anonymousreply 23May 2, 2018 5:21 PM

R23, that's just the point. It's not a shelter but a home for those who can afford it. It's intent is to take those made homeless by high rents off the streets and give them some dignity back.

by Anonymousreply 24May 2, 2018 6:33 PM

Agree with r24, it is for the “genteel” poor, one assumes, maybe people who lost their homes and car to the banks, or the elderly, and who may or may not be working but who need a bed and a shower in relative safety.

Not for poor undiagnosed schizophrenics and drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 25May 2, 2018 6:49 PM

R25, yes, there are a lot of people with those issues on the streets and they need help, too. We're trying.

by Anonymousreply 26May 2, 2018 6:52 PM

This sounds good. I'm tired of paying thousands of dollars a month off Craigslist. All I need is a room and no roommate.

by Anonymousreply 27May 2, 2018 7:05 PM

What are the hours for the spa and the gym?

by Anonymousreply 28May 2, 2018 9:27 PM

THERE IS ZERO new about this. Large cities used to be filled with SROs. Then the greed and gentrification shuttered them all.

by Anonymousreply 29May 2, 2018 9:28 PM

There's a place like this in my city. It's for people with HIV and other conditions, usu substance abuse and/or mental illness. The place is nice, rent is based on a percentage of income, all studios about 500 sq ft.

There are lots of rules. There is a security desk. You don't get in even as a visitor without showing photo ID and signing in and having your photo taken. Bags and pockets can be searched at the discretion of the security staff.

Residents are required to spend a certain number of hours a week in some sort of constructive activity, which can include education, substance abuse or mental health treatment, volunteering, etc.

Substance abuse is not tolerated and you will be evicted if you create a disturbance while high or drunk, or if you are caught with drugs on premises, or arrested for drug possession, or if you threaten or attempt to harm staff or residents, or if you carelessly damage your apartment.

Every unit is checked monthly without prior notice for hoarding (not permitted) and signs of illegal activity, and to ensure the place isn't being trashed.

IMO people who can't abide by this structure should be in institutions anyway. But there aren't any.

by Anonymousreply 30May 2, 2018 9:43 PM

Will be smelly and full of sexual assaults.

Why is a Japanese woman homeless? Never seen that before.

by Anonymousreply 31May 2, 2018 9:54 PM

Except that people SHOULD be able to do their drugs quietly in their private space. People might be using pot for pain or what not. I can see either argument but a junky has a right to dry warm safe place to lock the door and sleep and feel safe.

by Anonymousreply 32May 2, 2018 9:54 PM

AHF failed after spending millions to alienate Truvada users.

Now they want to be slumlords? Money-laundering with no laundry.

It'll be infested with bedbugs and hotplate fries. They'll take a huge tax loss/creit.

AHF are bloated scum.

by Anonymousreply 33May 2, 2018 10:50 PM

R33 paints the world with his gnarly brush using his own shit.

by Anonymousreply 34May 2, 2018 11:30 PM

Do they have any efficiencies available?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 3, 2018 3:59 PM

R34 paints his world with the anal fissure pus of Michael Weinstein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 3, 2018 4:40 PM

R30, that sounds ideal. Especially the activity.

They should take the Rosslyn, the Alexandria and Cecil in DT Los Angeles (not quite low income, $800 a month, no “rules”.. ) and turn them into that kind of residence. As it is, I’m pretty sure these buildings are just crack dens.

Even though the Cecil will probably become another hotel, just what we don’t need more of.

by Anonymousreply 37May 3, 2018 4:52 PM

Are there homeless populations in the Valley?

by Anonymousreply 38May 4, 2018 2:57 AM

good idea? Not! At night it's gonna be crazier than a fuckin jail.

by Anonymousreply 39May 4, 2018 3:07 AM

[quote]L.A.'s efforts to solve homelessness are paying off, one life at a time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2018 4:59 PM

This is a good idea...although many schizophrenics should be in a hospital, to keep the rest of us safe.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2018 5:03 PM

$400.00/month? I can easily afford that!

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2018 5:49 PM

They need to implement areas that function as offices, where these people can be assisted in finding jobs, getting clean, appropriate clothing for interviews, services where they can connect to local schools, and get their kids back in class, etc.

Unfortunately, we all know that this will not be an appropriate solution for the homeless who are mentally ill, and/or addicted to alcohol or substances. This will only work for people who found themselves displaced through a series of unfortunate events, yet still have the wherewithal to reintegrate into society as productive members of that society.

It will also work for those who are on SSI, however, are not severely mentally ill or addicted.

Many of these folks need access to long rehabilitation periods. They need to be housed in places that are set up to specifically target those issues. They are not well enough for this type of set up.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2018 5:57 PM

Do they allow pieds-à-terre?

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2018 6:25 PM

How much fucking will be going on?

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2018 6:29 PM

I managed an old hotel for about 2 years and most of the tenants rent was paid by Catholic Charities. It was a dump,but it was a roof over their heads. All told there were 75 rooms over 4 floors,and I rarely had any trouble. I would let each and everyone know right when they checked in that I would throw their asses out for causing trouble,not paying rent,dealing drugs etc,and 95% of them took me at my word.The hookers I sorta turned a blind eye to unless they caused trouble.Most of the working girls I dealt with were fairly business like and rather efficient! I will say my time there opened my eyes up to a world I never dreamed existed,to this day I give thanks that I will never have to live like that.

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2018 7:35 PM

Does it have valet parking?

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2018 7:51 PM

There is a plan for AHF to build something similar in Fort Lauderdale.

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2018 7:55 PM

Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2018 7:58 PM

R22

Troublemakers will get kicked out... eventually, which is part of the problem with homelessness accommodations -- homeless people who can't or won't play nice with others will ultimately be on the street forever. Without the option of institutionalizing the worst cases, homelessness will never be solved in this country.

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2018 8:08 PM

Well, this should work out well for them.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2018 11:42 PM

[quote]bedbugs and hotplate fries

Mmmmmm. Hotplate fries.

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2018 11:46 PM

In NYC, by contrast, the old SROs have been turned into $400 a night hotel rooms.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2018 11:56 PM

..and this is my daughter SRO (Sorrow).

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2018 11:59 PM

[quote]as low as $400 per month

That means ONE apt will rent out for that low and the rest will be high priced.

by Anonymousreply 55December 5, 2018 1:05 AM

Homelessness is not about giving someone a place to live.

Homelessness is about being in such a situation where you have no one to take you in.

That is brought about 99% of the time, from being a horrible person who burned all their bridge and no one wants anything more to do with you.

You give a bunch of homeless people a place to live and it's ruined within a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 56December 5, 2018 1:07 AM

Controversial Venice Homeless Shelter Closer to Becoming Reality

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2018 11:07 PM

The whole thing is a collosial joke.

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2018 11:11 PM

While I like this idea, when it comes to AHF I'm always skeptical. What's Michael Weinstein's angle? I assume he found a government program that will give him a ton of money so he can buy himself a private jet or 3.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2018 11:15 PM

What does this have to do with its core mission of AIDS support?

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2018 11:27 PM

The best way to end homelessness is - to give people homes. Many people wind up on the street because they’re crazy, but living on the street will make a sane person unbalanced. A roof over your head, a lock on your door, a bathroom of your own will go far towards helping you deal with other issues. Though I do believe people ought to be able to quietly smoke, sniff, or shoot up in private as long as they don’t disturb the general peace. So much nanny-ing of the poor.

by Anonymousreply 61December 8, 2018 12:04 AM

When will these be ready for a "Tasteful Friends" thread?

by Anonymousreply 62December 8, 2018 2:38 AM

"A year or two down the line and the place will look like a shithole, especially if many of the tenants are mentally disturbed, especially if the tenants include children, and either be abandoned by AHF or shut down by the City as a health and safety hazard."

True. Homeless people tend to be filthy.

by Anonymousreply 63December 8, 2018 2:43 AM

"The best way to end homelessness is - to give people homes. "

"GIVE" them homes? What makes you think they deserve to be "given" a home? What horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 64December 8, 2018 2:45 AM

""Provide." "Make available." And yes, in some cases, r64, "give". No one "deserves" to live on the street, no matter how addlepated they are or how many mistakes they've made. My taxes go towards many things I don't support, but this is something I would gladly fund.

by Anonymousreply 65December 8, 2018 4:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!