Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Restricted Clubs

Are there any still around? Where are they and how do they get away with it? I'm craving a good breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2018 7:06 AM

The Mortimer Club. Like duh!

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2018 10:01 PM

^ Well yeah, but do these places exist in real life anymore? I have a hard time as it is, believing a Mortimer Club type place would even exist in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2018 6:02 PM

I work in one of the most upscale clubs you've seen. However, the only color they care about is green.

For a $1,000/month you get...Get ready... TO BE A MEMBER.

If you want to use a function room. You pay. Eat at the club? You pay. A lousy cup of coffee is three dollars and they add a surcharge to that. You wanna use the pool, health club? You pay $50/day. EVERYTHING you do is extra.

You pay $150/month for us to wash your gym clothes.

The only reasonable thing is the guest rooms. They are only $100/night, and they would be similar to a Westin Hotel. But we only have two dozen and they aren't used because our members dogs have nicer dog houses.

It's a very nice place, don't get me wrong, but I cannot believe the huge amounts of money people pay out JUST to belong.

The membership is all varied, yes, there are some who prefer "only their kind" be in, but that's rare. At one time it was a gentleman's only club and some members still feel it should be that.

Truly it epitomizes the phrase, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." I once asked the hosted, who's been there since her teens and is now almost 60 years old, about the prices of menu items. She said, "In all my years I've worked here, not one person has ever asked about the price."

How you get in is simple, a member that is in, has to put you up for membership. If that's approved you are in a 90 day trial then they vote whether or not to admit you. And while they had a few arguments over things like "We can't have a news anchor here, he's showbiz" (he was admitted), in the end it simply boils down to having the cash to pay your bills.

by Anonymousreply 3May 3, 2018 3:58 PM

If you have to ask, then you're not running in the appropriate circles.

by Anonymousreply 4May 3, 2018 4:03 PM

The New York Athletic Club. To get in, you have to be recommended by another member.

by Anonymousreply 5May 3, 2018 4:04 PM

What about this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 3, 2018 5:24 PM

The Everglades

The Palm Beach B&T

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 3, 2018 5:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 3, 2018 5:30 PM

I live in a very ethnic neighborhood in NYC and there's all these private clubs for various Greek/Cypriot etc. I always wonder what goes on in there. I also wonder if I could buy one and start a gay sex club.

by Anonymousreply 9May 3, 2018 5:39 PM

R9 You should!

by Anonymousreply 10May 3, 2018 5:41 PM

[quote] The only reasonable thing is the guest rooms. They are only $100/night, and they would be similar to a Westin Hotel.

BUT DO THEY HAVE SHAMPOO FOR POCs?

by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]I live in a very ethnic neighborhood in NYC I also wonder if I could buy one and start a gay sex club.

The mafia that owns the East Side Club would have you shut down by the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 12May 4, 2018 2:15 PM

Dis guy don’t dink there are private clubs in New Yawk? Fuhgeddaboutit.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2018 11:57 AM

London is full of them.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2018 12:19 PM

When you say restricted..you mean no minorities??? They have a gay club like that in the Port Richmond area of Philadelphia. Mostly closeted self hating trolls. I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2018 1:13 PM

I recommend the Jonathan Club In Los Angeles - there is a downtown location and a Santa Monica beach location.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2018 1:16 PM

Why would anyone want to go to a place like that?

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2018 1:21 PM

R17 Herd instinc, wanting to be surrounded by like minded men, because it's always mens clubs, clandestine business transactions, all sorts of reasons.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2018 1:50 PM

I work at a women only health club.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2018 6:32 AM

The Colony Club and the River Club. Well there are a handful of Jews in there by now, but very WASPy Jews if you know what I mean.

There’s one in Hobe Sound FL but I forget the name.

And of course the two PB ones mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2018 6:57 AM

Which ones still restrict blacks?

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2018 7:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!