Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Luca Guadagnino's 'Suspiria' Remake (2018)

Starring Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson, Chloë Grace Moretz, Mia Goth, and Jessica Harper. Screenplay by David Kajganich ('A Bigger Splash', TV series 'The Terror', upcoming 'Pet Sematary').

[quote]A young American ballerina comes to train at a prestigious German dance academy and uncovers the school's dark and menacing secrets.

Coming to theatres in autumn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337October 15, 2019 1:15 PM

A couple of Twitter reactions to the first footage shown at CinemaCon. More at the link. Was trending briefly so it must have made quite an impression.

[quote]Ummm I am traumatized after seeing a scene from "Suspiria" in which Dakota Johnson controls the body of another woman as she dances. The woman's body literally cracks in half. She is like, torn apart. Spitting, urinating, bleeding. It's... A lot.

[quote]Someone at my table threw their napkin down, said “uh, no”, and walked out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2018 11:24 PM

Nagging doubt-- how to top Goblin's iconic score?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2018 11:26 PM

Fuck you, cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2018 11:31 PM

I don't want to sound rude . . . but . . . Tilda Swinton is a bug-eyed, anorexic, self-satisfied SJW who gets the roles that Cate Blankett and Vanessa Redgrave reject.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2018 11:31 PM

Oooh can’t wait. Tilda is perfect for this.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2018 12:20 AM

What does he see in Dakota Johnson? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2018 12:25 AM

He's loyal to his hags!

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2018 12:27 AM

Joan Bennett was in the original Suspiria movie (1977), and yes, that's a very mannish woman standing behind her. Very strange film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2018 12:32 AM

Agree r4, Tilda is so overrated. She's always Acting! Like Meryl. Don't get her appeal at all. She reminds me of a praying mantis.

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2018 12:41 AM

I hope they kept the over the top Art Nouveau style. I loved that. And the voice dubbing of the Germans made it seem surreal.

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2018 12:52 AM

[quote]He's loyal to his hags!

I really think that's what it comes down to. There's no other explanation for his rabid need to repeatedly cast Dakota in his projects. She's harmless but utterly unremarkable - and Luca could have pretty much any actress he wanted (well, maybe not Asia A.) in his films at this point.

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2018 7:21 AM

I'm really looking forward to never seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2018 7:51 AM

There are some movies you do not remake. Suspiria is one of them!

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2018 8:00 AM

100% agree with R13. Sick to death of all the "reboots" of late.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2018 8:05 AM

There's no wild color scheme in this one, it's ugly and boring sepia. No Goblin score. Can only top original in terms of CGI grossness. Jessica Harper has a cameo, a cheap link to the original. Sounds like they have struggled to develop concept beyond original screenplay. Bad idea all around.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2018 8:14 AM

Trying to imitate the original aesthetics would have been a terrible idea imo. If you disassociate yourself from what made that movie iconic, the task of coming up with something new-ish (while still being based on Argento) becomes less daunting.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2018 8:31 AM

[quote]Ummm I am traumatized after seeing a scene from "Suspiria" in which Dakota Johnson controls the body of another woman as she dances. The woman's body literally cracks in half. She is like, torn apart. Spitting, urinating, bleeding. It's... A lot.

This yawnfest scene is supposed to happen in an exclusive dance academy? The original scene of Alida Valli barking orders to Suzy (in badly dubbed English) over strange music while she had a nose bleed was truly terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2018 8:48 AM

One of fave films ever. ‘WITCH!’ As for this shit remake: no no no

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2018 11:29 AM

R16 I just don't see the point of a remake unless it is to capitalise on what made the original so good and try to push beyond that. Add your own touch, sure, but why not just make a new movie and plot if you're going to change everything about the original?

The only way I could understand it is if the original was based on a book or something, and they went back to the source material to reinterpret it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2018 11:50 AM

Luca can look hot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2018 12:19 PM

Seductive:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2018 12:22 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 22April 27, 2018 1:06 PM

Anyone seen this? Just saw an article where it was making people vomit. I’m always curious about these kind of grim horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 23April 27, 2018 5:11 PM

To be honest, I'm surprised Luca would go all out on the violence/gore. I expected him to tone it down.

by Anonymousreply 24April 27, 2018 5:31 PM

Luca's films are all shockingly tedious middle class fare, aren't they? The scariest thing about this will probably be its tastefulness.

by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2018 5:34 PM

The poster is HORRIBLE! Is that supposed to make people excited to see it?

However, the description of the clip sounds kinda nuts and I like nutty movies. I think the best way to remake a movie like Suspiria is to take the basic story "American goes to international dance school and crazy, witchy shit happens" and run with it. It's not like the original script was some great work of art. It was just a skeleton to hang some incredibly impressive and creepy set pieces on. In fact, if we're being honest, it's one of Argento's worst scripts. Deep Red and Tenebrae are actually fairly clever and well written.

by Anonymousreply 26April 27, 2018 5:59 PM

The script was based on a tale Daria Nicolodi's grandmother used to tell her as a child. The school it was based on was a Rudolph Steiner academy of music and arts near the French/Swiss boarder.

[quote] Once upon a time, a teenage girl named Yvonne was sent away from home to attend a boarding school. Her parents believed she was going to a reputable place, a stolid institution where a budding talent like hers would receive valid instruction in the arts. The girl arrived, wide-eyed and innocent, and was terrified to realize she had been delivered into a witches' den, a school of Black Magic. She turned tail and ran. Unlike her fairy tale counterparts Hansel and Gretel, Yvonne was a real girl, and she escaped to tell her tale. This she did, to her own granddaughter, an actress and screenwriter by the name of Daria Nicolodi. As it happened, Nicolodi was the creative and romantic partner of Italy's dark wizard of cinema, Dario Argento, so Yvonne's tale was destined for bigger things.

by Anonymousreply 27April 27, 2018 6:42 PM

Miss Jessica Harper? Goodness, what's she been up to?

by Anonymousreply 28April 27, 2018 6:47 PM

There is also some literary inspiration:

"Dario Argento used De Quincey's Suspiria, Particularly Levana and Our Ladies of Sorrow, as an inspiration for his "Three Mothers" trilogy of films, which include Suspiria, Inferno, and The Mother of Tears. ..... Levana and Our Ladies of Sorrow — beginning with a discussion of Levana, the ancient Roman goddess of childbirth, De Quincey imagines three companions for her: Mater Lachrymarum, Our Lady of Tears; Mater Suspiriorum, Our Lady of Sighs; and Mater Tenebrarum, Our Lady of Darkness."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 27, 2018 6:50 PM

Dakota Johnson is Hollywood Royalty and will probably end up with an Oscar.

She is rather unremarkable but then again so was her mother in anything other than WORKING GIRL.

Hopefully Dakota will get a vehicle like that to catapult her.

Sure, millions of people love spending time in the dark with nudity-friendly Dakota Johnson but she needs better material and some acting classes.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2018 6:56 PM

I like the original Inferno much more than Suspiria. Supiria is one of those movies that tries wayyyyy to hard to scare you. Argento also lacks skills with plots and actors. This works much better in Inferno because the plot is barely there. And you can't beat a murder by rats!

by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2018 6:57 PM

Melanie was better in both Body Double and Something Wild than Working Girl (and they were also better movies).

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2018 6:59 PM

R32 Correct.

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2018 3:37 AM

R4, you really think Swinton and Blanchett are being considered for the same roles as 81-year-old Vanessa Redgrave? Are you a casting director?

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2018 3:50 AM

Dakota is fairly unoffensive. I was dragged to that awful 1st Fifty Shades movie and I found her to be the least awful thing about it. In fact, she seemed rather game and had a slight twinkle in her eye the entire time, much like her mother did in Body Double. I kinda like her. She's miles more appealing than Rooney Mara or Kristen Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2018 5:52 PM

I had no idea Luca can be this gruesome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2018 4:07 AM

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2018 4:25 AM

I really have no idea what to expect from this. I hope it just stands up on its own and is an interesting movie.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2018 4:41 AM

[quote] Joan Bennett was in the original Suspiria movie (1977), and yes, that's a very mannish woman standing behind her. Very strange film.

Like Bennett, the scary and mannish Alida Valli (also known just as Valli) was considered a great beauty in her day. In fact in the '40s was heralded as the next Garbo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2018 8:50 AM

Direct link to a shot of Dakota Johnson's character sporting what appears to be a vaginally-shaped wound on her chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2018 10:24 AM

I don't know if it's true but I heard a rumor it is going to be 2 and a half hours long.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2018 11:46 AM

[quote]Dakota Johnson's character sporting what appears to be a vaginally-shaped wound on her chest.

Zzzzzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2018 12:21 PM

November 2nd.

[quote]Nov. 2 is a key date for launching awards bait with such recent Oscar fare as Lady Bird and Theory of Everything launching there. It would be a shocker not to see this title at Venice or Toronto this fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 14, 2018 6:23 PM

R23 all his movies make me vomit.

by Anonymousreply 44May 14, 2018 6:52 PM

[quote]Darkness is building at a world-renowned dance company.

Dakota's hair looks wiggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 14, 2018 8:43 PM

I actually have high hopes for this movie, hope I am not proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2018 4:06 PM

28 year old Dakota Johnson is way too old to be playing a first year student at a ballet academy. It's awful casting. Jessica Harper was around 22 years old in the original, but looked no older than 17.

Part of the problem with "Mother of Tears" (Suspiria's belated 2007 sequel) was the actresses were all hard and old looking.

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2018 3:31 AM

Ugh. Waste of bytes.

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2018 3:41 AM

[quote]Direct link to a shot of Dakota Johnson's character sporting what appears to be a vaginally-shaped wound on her chest.

How original.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2018 3:51 AM

Almost no chance of any subtlety happening here. The two original films were filled with subtext (the squeal Inferno has enough subtext for 10 different films), like the scene where Sarah is at the creepy old library looking for the book, or when the sinister butler gives Daria Nicolodi an enormous injection of what appears to be some kind of heavy drug, but I read somewhere that it was actually meant to be a B-vitamin injection her was administering to her and it was left up to the audience to read that something evil was happening in the scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2018 3:53 AM

That cut open chest reminds me of the Mother movie with Jennifer Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2018 4:15 AM

R50, you can watch the entire Inferno movie on youtube. I found it much scarier and more interesting than Suspiria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2018 5:26 AM

Which two ballerinas will Chloe Moretz play?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2018 6:10 AM

Dakota is a black hole of charisma.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2018 6:14 AM

I always thought Jessica Harper was adorable, particularly in Pennies From Heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2018 6:21 AM

Jessica Harper is severely underrated. Her role in the original Suspiria is not very layered on paper, yet she is extremely effective in the role and she brings a lot to the character. As r55 says, she is terrific in Pennies from Heaven and had to perform a difficult scene that not many actresses could have done.

I just can't see Dakota being as charismatic, smart and likable as Jessica in the Suspiria remake.

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2018 6:51 AM

Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2018 1:19 PM

Well Armie wasn't kidding when he said this doesn't have any colors

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2018 1:29 PM

Dear Lord! They're all SMOKING!

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2018 1:30 PM

r57 That looks good to me and Tilda is giving it her all.

Dakota, on the other hand, Jesus Christ. I just saw someone [italic]way[/italic] over their head even in those couple of wordless shots she was in. What a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2018 1:30 PM

Okay what the fuck is with the bizarre logo at the end? I hate shit like that where it's so stylized you have to concentrate to make out what it's actually saying.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2018 1:31 PM

There's a crazy visual grandeur to the original movie that, at best, can only be copied.

In a way, it almost didn't matter whether or not the 1970s version was scary or not (which it was); it also looked fabulous . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2018 1:32 PM

R4 Tilda is not anorexic she's a great actor and better than Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2018 1:33 PM

I met Tilda back in 2001 - she's lovely.

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2018 1:35 PM

r62 agreed, the sets and decor in the original are what made the movie so amazing for me. The Art Nouveau designs and furniture, that crazy staircase in the main hall, etc. And the dubbed voices on the German actresses, too.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2018 1:35 PM

I’m still curious about this one...Luca himself said that he didn’t want to make a remake of this movie so I don’t think it’s wise to compare them...from the trailer, his take is completely different from the original.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2018 1:39 PM

people, this is a Guadagnino movie: you can expect cool clothes and nice furniture but that's it. He doesn't have the talent to scare and/or provoke any kind of emotion. He's a window dresser at best.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2018 1:40 PM

Call Me By Your Name clearly provoked a lot of emotion in people, as can be seen by its run in various arthouse cinemas where it has been one of their longest running films of all time.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2018 1:43 PM

It looks interesting, but I wish he would stick to beautiful movies because there is so little beauty these days

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2018 1:46 PM

Tilda will be great as usual, and maybe she’ll be pushed for some awards as Toni in Hereditary. It’s clear that this movie will have a different tone, so don’t expect the palette of colours from the original one.

by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2018 1:47 PM

Only 13yo girls and emotionally stunted adults responded emotionally to Call Me. His movies are all terrible.

by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2018 1:47 PM

R71 Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2018 1:49 PM

R69 Also, if Luca sticks only to “beautiful” movies, he’ll be typecast as a director. Also, Rio should come out this year too, right?

by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2018 1:49 PM

r67 Shouldn't we be looking at the screenwriter as well before dismissing the movie based on director's name alone?

r71 How ridiculous. The CMBYN movie is about nature and life itself but it takes some wisdom to see that layer. Honestly, the love story between the two guys was the least interesting part for me.

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2018 1:51 PM

Rio hasn't been filmed yet R73 but it's expected to start soon.

I'm all for this new, revamped Suspiria. For fans of the original, and I count myself as one of them, it's a treat to get a remake that's, after all, a polar opposite in some key aspects and doesn't try (and fail) to imitate the original. Maybe we'll hate it, who knows, but I love how different it looks.

by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2018 1:55 PM

Lovely composition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2018 1:57 PM

R75 agreed! It looks interesting overall and so excited to see the critics reactions.

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2018 1:58 PM

Tilda just taking a drag looks like a work of art in itself. She's so great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78June 4, 2018 2:03 PM

DL oldies vs. DL newbies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 4, 2018 2:04 PM

Guadagnino is the emperor with no clothes.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2018 2:07 PM

New poster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2018 2:23 PM

^awful

by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2018 2:39 PM

R81 It’s better than the first one because the former gave me Snowman vibes...so I guess Dakota got first billing?

by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2018 2:46 PM

The Mother of Tears was such an AWFUL film. Boring sepia colors, no psychedelia, repellent CGI gore, drab actors. This looks to be about the same. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2018 3:04 PM

Looks bad

by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2018 3:07 PM

You’re all too pessimistic, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2018 3:16 PM

It looks to be dong-free, but with plenty of vadge symbolism/imagery.

by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2018 3:28 PM

Why would it have dicks? It's a movie about witches

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2018 3:35 PM

I think people need to stop associating CMBYN with Luca’s name... not all of his movies will depict 2 men falling in love.

by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2018 3:48 PM

CMBYN as his most successful film so far (financially and critically) will be associated with him until he surpasses it. But associating Luca of all directors with no male full frontal nudity is silly as he has featured it numerous times and in CMBYN it was the actors' choice not to do it.

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2018 3:52 PM

This will be probably his most financially successful movie come November. This is an easy sell. Horror movies make bank.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2018 3:56 PM

I hope they re-use the original music in some way.

by Anonymousreply 92June 4, 2018 3:57 PM

I saw Tildy sleeping in a box at the MOMA once

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2018 3:59 PM

R91 Maybe but not sure this one will be very accessible.

by Anonymousreply 94June 4, 2018 4:02 PM

I find the trailer beautiful and very exciting - the cinematography, the music and how convincingly the 70s ambience in conveyed. I'm also glad it stands in stark visual contrast to the original.

by Anonymousreply 95June 4, 2018 4:06 PM

I Am Love was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 96June 4, 2018 4:13 PM

R94 why not?

by Anonymousreply 97June 4, 2018 4:46 PM

If Dario Argento hadn't run our of money, ideas or whatever and opted out for the Roger Corman-like "Burn it to the ground" ending, Suspiria would've been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 98June 4, 2018 4:49 PM

Dario Argento is lucky he made a couple of very good movies when he did, before his brain broke for good and he started shitting out three straight decades of movies so bad they make you contemplate suicide

by Anonymousreply 99June 4, 2018 4:55 PM

As someone who doesn't know an inch about Suspiria. I like the trailer. It feels refreshing after all the plastic CGI movies we've had recently.

by Anonymousreply 100June 4, 2018 5:25 PM

So, maybe I’m the only one in here who thought that, but Tilda is not the one playing the old man...thought she was. Here, for the ones who want to read further

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 4, 2018 5:40 PM

Yeah, what the fuck happened to Argento?

I mean, he has a very impressive run for two decades and then he TOTALLY hits the wall and EVERY film is TERRIBLE... I mean, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was one of the worst films ever (that dubbing and the "acting"!) and they all have sucked donkey balls since then. STENDAHL SYNDROME was OK, SLEEPLESS was OK and THE CARD PLAYER had some decent moments, but stuff like GIALLO and MOTHER OF TEARS and DRACULA 3D are putrid compared to his earlier work (or anything else for that matter). It makes no sense how someone could go from so good to so bad. It's mind-boggling.

by Anonymousreply 102June 4, 2018 6:12 PM

I don't know how I feel about it. As a fan of the original, I'm glad they're going in another direction, because if they'd sampled aped the original film, they'd have lost right out of the gate. This has potential to be something interesting. I just hope it doesn't turn into pretentious bullshit. It definitely gives me an entirely different feeling of unease. I do like that. It seems more to be about the evil lurking in the mundane, everyday world which is a different kind of scary.

by Anonymousreply 103June 4, 2018 6:12 PM

I do feel for Dario. I think his last really great, stylish film was Opera in '87. After that, most of his films took on this cheesy, made for TV look. They became very bland. Maybe he didn't have the energy or the budgets to accomplish what he had in the 70's and 80's. I can say that I at least enjoy everything he made from Bird With the Crystal Plumage to Opera. Trauma, Stendhal, and Sleepless all have their moments, but everything else is pretty awful. Mother of Tears had so much potential, but it was shot like a bland American action movie with no color or style and it just didn't work. Plus, I remember Asia making for a rather unlikable heroine. I'm not sure why, but she seemed bitchy and like she didn't want to be there the entire time. Don't even get me started on Daria Nicolodi's pathetic cameo with that ridiculous CGI ghost shit. Yikes! Still, the film is bonkers enough that it's not a total waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2018 6:16 PM

If this is a hit maybe Luca could remake the whole trilogy! INFERNO is super and would represents its own problems with remaking but a re-do of MOTHER OF TEARS would be extremely welcome

by Anonymousreply 105June 4, 2018 8:06 PM

It really depends on how this movie will go down.

by Anonymousreply 106June 4, 2018 8:09 PM

well... Asia has stated her boundaries!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 4, 2018 8:35 PM

Trust me, Asia is nobody, just a fame whore.

by Anonymousreply 108June 4, 2018 8:41 PM

Kinda makes it difficult to take her outrage about anything else seriously if she gets that unhinged about a remake. It's not like Luca's destroying all the negatives of the original.

by Anonymousreply 109June 4, 2018 9:09 PM

Luca could lick my ass the better to fuck it any time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 4, 2018 9:12 PM

This music in the trailer sounds like THE SHINING

by Anonymousreply 111June 4, 2018 10:59 PM

R39, Valli is immortal, if only for two masterpieces: "The Third Man" and "Eyes Without A Face." And there's "Senso."

From the little I know of Guadagnino, I'd agree with the non-fans here. Pretty and unsubstantial. No Fellini he.

by Anonymousreply 112June 5, 2018 1:16 AM

[quote] I hope they kept the over the top Art Nouveau style. I loved that. And the voice dubbing of the Germans made it seem surreal.

The actress who dubs Olga in the original version has a very distinctive, droll and melancholic voice. I think she also dubs several other characters in the movie. It only adds to the surrealness. I think it sounds a little like Daria Nicolodi without using her accent, or maybe even Jessica Harper. Nicolodi is almost certainly the voice of Helena Markos in the English version.

by Anonymousreply 113June 5, 2018 2:11 AM

"Olga Dubber" also turns up in many other translated Italian camp horror films from the same time period (like Tenebrae) that fans of bad movies can recognize. It's distinctively the same voice.

by Anonymousreply 114June 5, 2018 2:18 AM

I think that voice actress is the same woman who dubbed Daria Nicolodi in several of Argento's films like Deep Red and Phenomena. I always loved her voice, too. She dubbed TONS of Italian horror films in the 70's and 80's. Strangely, Daria Nicolodi was dubbed by none other than Theresa Russell in the American cut of Tenebrae.

by Anonymousreply 115June 5, 2018 2:19 AM

Nicolodi got to use her real voice only in Opera and it's excellent. I love her deep, husky voice. I wish she'd been allowed to dub herself in Argento's other films.

by Anonymousreply 116June 5, 2018 2:20 AM

Daria getting shot in the head in Opera was one of the highlights of Argento's entire filmography, and he probably enjoyed doing it since she had become his ex wife by then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 5, 2018 2:51 AM

I tend to confuse Brooke Adams and Jessica Harper.

by Anonymousreply 118June 5, 2018 3:20 AM

I cant wait to see this.

by Anonymousreply 119June 5, 2018 3:29 AM

Wait. I thought that WAS Tilda Swinton as the old man too?

by Anonymousreply 120June 5, 2018 3:39 AM

R8, that is not just some "mannish woman" standing behind Joan Bennett, that is the divine Alida Valli.

from "The Third Mad" with Joseph Cotten

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 5, 2018 4:05 AM

^ One of the greatest film endings of all time, no question

by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2018 6:45 AM

Cotten was some great films, including "Citizen Kane," "Magnificent Ambersons," and "Shadow of a Doubt," Hitchcock's favorite of his own films., Time for his own thread?

by Anonymousreply 123June 5, 2018 9:33 AM

[quote]Nicolodi got to use her real voice only in Opera and it's excellent. I love her deep, husky voice. I wish she'd been allowed to dub herself in Argento's other films.

Absolutely!

That's why I prefer the Italian language versions of Argento's 1970s movies because Nicolodi's own voice is so superior that that comparatively higher pitched, perky (I would even add grating) voice in the dubbed English language versions of Susperia and (especially) Deep Red.

For you Argento fans out there, do yourselves a favor and check out the Italian language versions of his '70s films if you haven't already done so.

by Anonymousreply 124June 5, 2018 1:27 PM

Dubbing is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 125June 5, 2018 1:54 PM

I like the dubbing in Suspiria - it adds to the otherworldly sensation. The recently unearthed print of Suspiria from the 70s that made the rounds at art houses last year was in Italian and it felt like an entirely different movie. I hated having to look at the subtitles with such a visual film so I eventually just stopped

by Anonymousreply 126June 5, 2018 2:03 PM

The old lady who played Mafalda in Call me will be in Suspiria too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 5, 2018 2:52 PM

"I tend to confuse Brooke Adams and Jessica Harper."

I always confuse Jessica Harper with Jessica Walter

by Anonymousreply 128June 5, 2018 3:04 PM

R55 I had the biggest crush on Jessica Harper, a lot of it had to do with her singing voice in movies like Phantom of the Paradise and Shock Treatment.

She seemed to disappear from movies in the 80s but became an author of children's books and composer of children's music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 5, 2018 3:42 PM

Jessica Harper was also great in the wonderful Stardust Memories by Woody Allen. And she played a closeted lesbian in that! She deserved a much better career.

by Anonymousreply 130June 5, 2018 3:50 PM

it's funny, Jessica Harper had a very short leading lady phase, but she was in some of the most gorgeous and stunning movies of her time: Phantom of the Paradise, Suspiria, Stardust Memories. Not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 131June 5, 2018 4:23 PM

I first remember seeing Harper in My Favorite Year with Peter O'Toole. For some reason I loved that as a kid. It was on HBO all the time.

by Anonymousreply 132June 5, 2018 4:24 PM

LOL, R78 is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 133June 5, 2018 6:09 PM

[quote]Luca himself said that he didn’t want to make a remake of this movie so I don’t think it’s wise to compare them

He could have avoided that by, er, not doing a remake.

by Anonymousreply 134June 5, 2018 6:14 PM

^the script for Suspiria 2018 was not even written by Guadagnino. So it's not even a passion project for him. The only reason he made this is to show some cool 70s clothes. Just like any other of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 135June 5, 2018 6:31 PM

Guadagnino is the quintessential bourgeois "art" director, everything done to the highest standards of middle class tastefulness. Which is empty and tedious at the best of times, but absolute death to a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 136June 5, 2018 6:35 PM

I'm excited, because I really have no idea where this is going to go. I can only assume they're going in a more Rosemary;'s Baby/Stepford Wives route where Suzy slowly uncovers the conspiracy at the school instead of loud, baroque horror coming left and right like the original. It should be interesting. Whoever cut that trailer deserves an award, because they enticed me without spoiling huge chunks of the movie. That's rare these days.

Hopefully, the Halloween trailer coming this Friday will be equally as good and I'd say we'll have a pretty good year for horror.

by Anonymousreply 137June 5, 2018 6:48 PM

r135 if you've read any interviews with him on this movie he's gone to great lengths to make it sound very personal to him - that he's been in love and obsessed with the original since childhood.

by Anonymousreply 138June 5, 2018 7:28 PM

If he loved Suspiria that much he would have known to leave the fucking film alone.

by Anonymousreply 139June 5, 2018 9:17 PM

^THIS

by Anonymousreply 140June 5, 2018 9:19 PM

Jessica Harper, Frau

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 5, 2018 9:20 PM

Last I checked the Dario Argento movie still exists! I am pretty sure that Luca didn't burn up all the prints r139.

People are so goddamn precious about remakes.

by Anonymousreply 142June 5, 2018 9:38 PM

I always confuse Brooke Adams with Maud Adams.

Kathleen Beller became the 80s version of Jessica Harper. And then Jennifer Beals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 6, 2018 12:58 AM

For those of you into trailer comparisons . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 6, 2018 1:02 AM

someone on YT made a new trailer for the original Suspiria. It's beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 6, 2018 7:57 AM

I remember working with a group of Yugoslavian refugees in the late 90s who had fled from Milosevic's Serbia with no money, no property, no pensions, essentially just the clothes on their backs and livelihoods intact, sometimes not even that. Many had degrees that they could not secure work with so were grateful for whatever menial jobs they could get. The work ethics of these people was just astounding, some would work several jobs and run their own businesses at the same time (even ones in their 60s) and would NEVER complain no matter what. Virtually none went on benefits. And how quickly they got their lives together! Becoming pillars of the community, amassing new wealth and prosperity from nothing in just a couple of short years.

by Anonymousreply 146June 6, 2018 9:07 AM

[quote] had the biggest crush on Jessica Harper, a lot of it had to do with her singing voice in movies like Phantom of the Paradise and Shock Treatment. She seemed to disappear from movies in the 80s but became an author of children's books and composer of children's music.

She has an pretty cool resume, Phantom of the Paradise, Suspiria, Shock Treatment, two for Woody Allen, Love and Death and Stardust Memories, Pennies from Heaven, My Favorite Year, Inserts. In the 80's she married Tom Rothman, a movie executive who was the Chairman of 20th Century Fox who greenlit Titanic and Avatar and five Best Pictures. Now he is the head of Sony Pictures. She left to raise a family with guest star parts here and there. She is in the new Suspiria but it could be a cameo for anyone knows right now. Wish she would do some autograph shows but she hardly needs the money.

I saw her a a few years ago on Valerie Bertnielli's cooking show when she entertained her book club.

by Anonymousreply 147June 6, 2018 9:41 AM

^yes, she has just a cameo in the new Suspiria, she wrote that herself on twitter. There's a Q&A about Suspiria (the original one) on YT, she's very cool and funny in that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148June 6, 2018 12:39 PM

it's funny, Jessica Harper had a very short leading lady phase, but she was in some of the most gorgeous and stunning movies of her time: Phantom of the Paradise, Suspiria, Stardust Memories. Not bad at all.

—Anonymous

I don't think doing "Inserts" helped her leading lady prospects. She was rather unattractive in her nude scene. Her boobs looked like they were mutated by radiation or really bad luck.

by Anonymousreply 149June 7, 2018 4:04 AM

[quote]I don't think doing "Inserts" helped her leading lady prospects

Sweeite, "Inserts" was her second movie after Phantom, so it didn't hurt her prospects at all.

by Anonymousreply 150June 7, 2018 3:30 PM

i had never heard of Inserts before this thread. The synopsis on wiki seems interesting, and i't on YT so i'll watch it later. Is it a cult movie? Or totally forgotten?

by Anonymousreply 151June 7, 2018 3:45 PM

Basically forgotten and it was rated X! Oh my.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 7, 2018 9:31 PM

Veronica Cartwright was the most interesting thing about "Inserts" and she's pretty much the reason for the initial X rating. It's a gutsy performance by a mainstream actress. It could've killed her career, but fortunately it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 153June 8, 2018 4:03 AM

They really need to remake Mother of Tears. I watched all 3 movies 2 nights ago and while Suspira and Inferno were amazing, Mother of Tears was a mess. For a theatrical film made in 2007 it looked more like a television film made in 1997. Poor CGI and special effects. Atrocious dubbing. It was a worse finale to an amazing film series than Phantasm: Ravager was.

The colors and visuals in the 4K restoration of Suspira look absolutely amazing. Now if only they could do a 4K restoration of Inferno.

by Anonymousreply 154June 8, 2018 4:38 AM

So the script got leaked and.....can’t wait to see Tilda orgasming to Dakota’s dancing

by Anonymousreply 155June 8, 2018 6:17 PM

^link??

by Anonymousreply 156June 8, 2018 6:19 PM

The guys on AW are talking about it in the Suspiria thread, if you have an account there you can just pm the source, don’t know where to get it from another source yet.

by Anonymousreply 157June 8, 2018 7:10 PM

From what I gathered, it’s erotic with plenty of lesbian undertones.

by Anonymousreply 158June 8, 2018 7:19 PM

what's AW??

by Anonymousreply 159June 8, 2018 7:24 PM

R159 Awards Watch, a movie forum.

by Anonymousreply 160June 8, 2018 7:38 PM

I've read it, it's NOT erotic although there's some (subtextual) erotic tension. It's not that gory either although there are maybe 3 scenes which will be rather shocking to watch. I've enjoyed myself immensely reading it, it's a very fine script. I got it from the Screenwriting subreddit but there's no link, someone sends it to your e-mail if you PM them.

by Anonymousreply 161June 8, 2018 9:17 PM

Dargento is rather a mystery. The first 15 minutes of Suspiria are perfection, it is like a fairy tale on crack. He makes the automatic doors of the airport menacing and he manages too keep a crescendo of horror, without any pause whatsoever, for like an hour. The last 20 minutes or so are a bit disappointing but few movies can keep that sort of thing up. Together with Deep Red and Tenabrae, and his early ones, he had everything to be a cult movie untouchable. But in the last 10 to 15 years his movies are abominable to the point of making you wonder if he is the same person. But his legacy still stands.

by Anonymousreply 162June 8, 2018 9:38 PM

^that's true, but i liked The Stendhal Syndrome. It was a crazy movie, especially because at a certain point (the half) the lead (Asia) dons a wig and basically becomes another person, and apparently a new movie begins. It's a flawed movie but i found it fascinating. Haven't seen his last movies but i heard that Giallo was abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 163June 8, 2018 9:42 PM

Wow! The screenplay sounds batty. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 164June 9, 2018 1:51 AM

Watching Deep Red now. Such a wonderful combination of cheese and art. Love it. The Nighthawks inspired diner is gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 165June 9, 2018 5:48 AM

Good for you, R165! You may inspire me to do the same.

The Christmas-set opening sequence of PROFUNDO ROSSO aka DEEP REED with the quick pan through the hallway (and the SPOILER hidden surprise) is masterful filmmaking... I can't remember what it was, but this shot has been ripped off quite famously since then with the subtle hidden image in plain view. Plus, the whole trans subtext of it all (ditto TENEBRAE) are way ahead of their time... while SUSPIRIA and DEEP RED are my favorites, there's something about TENEBRAE that keeps me coming back. I think it may be the best story of the three, as well, and the single-take murder with the lesbians in that crazy modern apartment, plus that final shot and the endless screaming over the credits. Brilliant. They are definitely my top 3 Argento films, as much as I love INFERNO, BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET, OPERA and PHENOMENA.

by Anonymousreply 166June 9, 2018 8:59 PM

BTW it is interesting to note that TENEBRAE is inspired by Argento's own obsessive fan who used to call him constantly claiming the damaging effects that his films had had on him. Also intriguing is that the film was set in the near future (filmed in 1982) and it is intentionally ultra modern and post-apocalyptic. Subtle, but very evident if you know that going in. The trans whore on the beach is the most unsettling part of the film to me, nonetheless. Great casting (she actually still had a dick at that time, dunno if she ever got the surgery). I'd say TENEBRAE could be remade brilliantly if we're doing Argento reboots.

by Anonymousreply 167June 9, 2018 9:09 PM

Tenebrae is also great because Argento chose to shoot most of the movie in broad, sunny, daylight. A real bet for a horror movie, but it works and gives it a even weirder vibe.

by Anonymousreply 168June 9, 2018 9:21 PM

I love this scene from the Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 9, 2018 9:24 PM

^also, one of the victims in Tenebrae (the brunette murdered with an axe) is the future Miss Silvio Berlusconi! That's why the movie is still almost never shown on italian tv, and many copies have that scene cut.

by Anonymousreply 170June 9, 2018 9:25 PM

[bold]Luca Guadagnino Shares Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Suspiria’ Rave Reaction: ‘He Was Crying and Hugged Me’[/bold]

[quote]Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria” is still four months away from opening in theaters, but it now has the blessing of none other than Quentin Tarantino. Speaking to the Italian publication La Repubblica, Guadagnino revealed he showed his adaptation of Dario Argento’s horror classic to Tarantino last fall and the “Pulp Fiction” director had a strong emotional reaction.

[quote]“I showed it to Quentin Tarantino. We’ve been friends since our jury duty at the Venice Film Festival,” Guadagnino said. “I was nervous but eager to hear his advice. We saw it at his place and his reaction warmed me. He was enthusiastic about it, in the end he was crying and hugged me. Because it’s a horror movie but also a melodrama, my goal was to make you look at the horror without being able to take [your eyes off the screen] because you’re captivated by the

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 2, 2018 9:50 PM

[quote]my goal was to make you look at the horror without being able to take [your eyes off the screen] because you’re captivated by the characters

That's like DL!

by Anonymousreply 172July 2, 2018 10:03 PM

Tenebrae really could make for a great American remake. It's probably his best, most coherent script.

by Anonymousreply 173July 3, 2018 4:18 AM

R154 The story ended up being re-written so many times over the decades, the original 3rd Mother filming screenplay was very beautiful and ambitious, and dealt with "the fall of Rome" as its theme. What they filmed was very rushed and cheap looking. The gore was over the top, but not beautiful like in Suspiria. Especially the death of the two lesbians.

There had been another version of "The Third Mother" in the planning stages since at least 1984. Daria Nicolodi was involved in the story early on and some of her ideas were recycled into the film "Profundis" or "The Black Cat" in 1989, which is a semi-legit follow up to Suspiria. That full version of that film is linked. TBC has some of the radical color scheme and a pretty soundtrack, I only wish Dario could have directed it. It's low budget but actually has some interesting ideas. (Also "Olga dubber" is the voice of the lead actress).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 3, 2018 4:55 AM

Tarantino's kiss of death!!

by Anonymousreply 175July 3, 2018 3:17 PM

By the way, the Rudolf Steiner academies in Europe were closed by the Nazis in the 1930's. But there are a few "Waldorf" schools - grade schools - that are in Manhattan. They sound hippyish and weird and teach some kind of theosophy. Some find that the schools are cultish and are teaching a religious philosophy. I don't know what Daria Nicolodi's grandmother experienced at the Rudolf Steiner Academy for the Arts near the Swiss-German border.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 3, 2018 4:44 PM

I don't really think the script for Mother of Tears was the issue. I think it was a budget thing. It's a far more coherent script than Suspiria or Inferno if we're being honest. I remember hearing about several major set pieces being changed or cut completely due to budget issues. Even someone like Dario Argento has a hard time getting a film funded these days. I still don't understand the bland color scheme, though. Are light gels THAT expensive, Dario? C'mon! I also remember Asia being a sorta unlikable heroine. There was something about her that turned me off. I remember when they were in talks with Sienna Miller for the role. I'm trying to imagine if that would have been better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 177July 3, 2018 6:52 PM

Oh, and those giggling goth schoolgirl-looking witches didn't help much. It looked like a weird catwalk fashion show.

by Anonymousreply 178July 3, 2018 6:53 PM

Mother of Tears was a disaster. Asia was at her worst, the scary parts were hilariously bad, and don't get me started on Daria Nicolodi playing the "ghost mom". I couldn't believe i was finally watching the final part of this amazing trilogy (i love Suspiria and Inferno) and the result was THAT. Also, the main witch in this was played by Moran Atias, who at the time was a hot tv soubrette here in Italy. So it was like watching Pamela Anderson playing the Babadook. A huge misfire.

by Anonymousreply 179July 3, 2018 7:15 PM

I wasn't upset at the casting of the Mother of Tears herself, but what they dressed her in (that fucking t-shirt with glitter pen artwork) was horrible. Give the bitch some class. She was always said to be the most beautiful and evil of the three mothers, so couldn't we class her up a bit.

Daria's cameo was hysterically funny and I don't think that's what they were going for. I got confused, too, because it looked like she was wearing the same nightgown and hairstyle as her character in Inferno. Were they supposed to be the same person?

by Anonymousreply 180July 3, 2018 7:35 PM

Ania Pieroni was perfection in her tiny part as "the most beautiful of the three sisters". Moran Atias and the rest of the updated witch's coven not mystical or scary enough, more like Girls Aloud tripping on acid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 4, 2018 5:21 AM

Indecently, in the scene with the music students listening to Verdi 's Nabucco Act 3 , a nice little touch in the next scene as Sara takes her taxi ride there is an acid jazz version of the same song playing in the background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 4, 2018 5:39 AM

True, r181. BTW, you know about Anja Pieroni, right??

by Anonymousreply 183July 4, 2018 3:31 PM

Suspiria had a test screening today. Any teas?

by Anonymousreply 184July 17, 2018 9:57 AM

Caitlyn Jenner would have been a sublime choice to play Miss Tanner.

by Anonymousreply 185July 17, 2018 10:12 AM

[quote]Any teas?

Yes. People who abuse the word "tea" the way you have deserve to drown in a reservoir of it.

by Anonymousreply 186July 17, 2018 10:19 AM

to the contrary

word of mouth is not good

typical tilde zombie from hell performance.

by Anonymousreply 187July 17, 2018 10:25 AM

R186 calm down mrs potts

by Anonymousreply 188July 17, 2018 1:35 PM

R184 The only “tea” I got from the recent screening is that is mother! 2.0....Personally, I liked mother! and even though the critics won’t like it, I’m excited to see it.

by Anonymousreply 189July 17, 2018 2:01 PM

Length confirmed at 152 minutes. This is going to be an [italic]experience,[/italic] I'm sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 1, 2018 11:50 AM

With that runtime, I hope it doesn't flop.

by Anonymousreply 191August 1, 2018 2:01 PM

It will.

by Anonymousreply 192August 1, 2018 2:03 PM

This is going to be so disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 193August 1, 2018 2:18 PM

Of course it will flop.

by Anonymousreply 194August 1, 2018 2:30 PM

A 152 minutes HORROR?? Bitch be crazy.

by Anonymousreply 195August 1, 2018 3:57 PM

Many think it will turn like mother! 2.0 but I have faith in Luca. Who cares about critics, at the end of the day? Critics come and go, this movie can become a cult.

by Anonymousreply 196August 1, 2018 6:13 PM

^Howard the Duck is a cult too.

by Anonymousreply 197August 1, 2018 7:05 PM

I don't see this becoming a big mainstream movie at all. It'll probably go along the lines of The Neon Demon. It'll play everywhere for a week to 2 weeks and disappear. And that's if the movie is actually good. It'll take very strong word of mouth to get Aunt and Uncle Flyover to go see this one.

by Anonymousreply 198August 1, 2018 11:13 PM

I liked the script, I hope the movie is good too.

by Anonymousreply 199August 2, 2018 1:46 AM

is there a way to read the script?

by Anonymousreply 200August 2, 2018 7:57 AM

Tell me does dakota die in the end?

by Anonymousreply 201August 2, 2018 8:52 AM

ok, i got the script...i'll write my thoughts after reading. I know you all are DYING to hear them!

by Anonymousreply 202August 2, 2018 12:45 PM

How does one get the script?

by Anonymousreply 203August 2, 2018 1:05 PM

he took away the "evil Disney fairytale" vibe from the original for... (wait for it) left-wing terrorism in 70s Germany! How Fassbinder!

by Anonymousreply 204August 2, 2018 1:47 PM

How/why is the script already publicly available before the movie is out? That can't be a common practice, can it?

by Anonymousreply 205August 2, 2018 2:11 PM

you all sound like 7yo kids...

by Anonymousreply 206August 2, 2018 2:12 PM

so far lots of lez vibes between Dakota's Susie and Tilda's Madame Blanc.

by Anonymousreply 207August 2, 2018 2:18 PM

now a nod to Christiane F. This movie is SO FUCKING GERMAN!!

by Anonymousreply 208August 2, 2018 2:34 PM

Ooh this sounds promising

by Anonymousreply 209August 2, 2018 2:35 PM

the script is super short but the movie is 155 minutes. I expect LOTS of dancing!

by Anonymousreply 210August 2, 2018 2:59 PM

Paid reviewer shills will proclaim it the scariest movie of the year and people will flock to it. It's kinda like the "It" remake which was really really NOT scary and kind of boring. Suspiria was always a cult flick though and I love it but it's definitely not a mainstream movie.

by Anonymousreply 211August 2, 2018 3:01 PM

R210 can u pls post the main plotlines with a spoiler tag or something?

by Anonymousreply 212August 2, 2018 3:24 PM

i'm at half point and so far the only scary scene is the one they showed at Comicon.

by Anonymousreply 213August 2, 2018 3:38 PM

oh, and this movie has nothing to do with Black Swan, at least reading the script. two different beasts.

by Anonymousreply 214August 2, 2018 3:50 PM

also, american mennonites are in this. It's VERY different from Argento's.

by Anonymousreply 215August 2, 2018 3:53 PM

AND even shades of Stephen King's CARRIE are in this! can i say it sounds like a mess?

by Anonymousreply 216August 2, 2018 4:02 PM

AND The Neon Demon too, of course. I also wanna say that -from the script - Dakota's BF is more of a lead character than Dakota's "Susie".

by Anonymousreply 217August 2, 2018 4:12 PM

but, of course, it's a movie against the PATRIARCKY!!!

by Anonymousreply 218August 2, 2018 4:26 PM

Do you want the SPOILER on this movie? Or do you prefer to wait til november? just let me know!

by Anonymousreply 219August 2, 2018 4:34 PM

SPOILERS PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 220August 2, 2018 4:40 PM

+++++++++SUSPIRIA 2018 WITH SPOILERS++++++++

Susie Bannion, an american dancer, arrives at a Berlin Dance Academy led by Madame Blanc. The school is in turmoil because the night before a girl, Patricia, ran away. Everybody thinks she joined a terrorist group: we are in the full 70s "German Autumn" crisis, and the country is in chaos. Patricia seems deranged, she talks to her psychiatrist about some shady shit happening at the Academy. Susie befriends Sara, another dancer, and becomes Blanc's pet, as she learns a new difficult choreography right away. Then the basic plot of old Suspiria ensues (with less gore and MUCH more talking about modern dance). Sara begins to suspect that the Academy might be a cover for a terrorist cell, but soon finds out it's much worse: they are witches (against the pathriarchy) and they need new blood to save their "mother" Helena Markos. Susie will be the victim of the sacrifice. The main difference with old Suspiria is that Susie apparently is very ok with this, she WANTS to be sacrificed to Helena. But when everything is ready for the rituals, the twist: Susie reveals herself as the REAL Mother of Tears. She kills all the witches who were on Helena Markos' side, and becomes the master of the dance Academy. There's a big subplot about the old psychiatrist (the one maybe also played by Tilda Swinton), but it's not that intriguing. Also, a lot of talking about history: the 70s turmoil, the Berlin Wall, the Communist regime. It has a couple of seemingly scary scenes, but reading the script i think this will be an arthouse movie about Germany's troubled past.

by Anonymousreply 221August 2, 2018 5:04 PM

Suzie is the Mother of Tears? No shit! This sounds downright bonkers and fascinating. Talk about a huge departure from the original, but then again, that's probably the best thing one could do with a film like Suspiria. Color me intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 222August 2, 2018 8:04 PM

You're a couple of fucking cunts, R221 and R222

by Anonymousreply 223August 2, 2018 9:14 PM

"I hope they kept the over the top Art Nouveau style."

They better have, considering it's the original's main asset. It didn't need a remake and this attempt will fail.

by Anonymousreply 224August 2, 2018 9:20 PM

R221 thank u, this sounds fascinating. But it will have no mainstream appeal, which is fine

by Anonymousreply 225August 2, 2018 11:48 PM

there was a spoiler alert, r223. cant u read?

by Anonymousreply 226August 2, 2018 11:53 PM

And R222 had a spoiler alert where, up his ass?

by Anonymousreply 227August 3, 2018 12:41 AM

i'm not r222, so don't get mad at me, i put a big spoiler alert.

by Anonymousreply 228August 3, 2018 4:33 PM

No real problem R228, thanks for the synopsis. The massive plot "twist" was basically given away months ago with the tweet:

by Anonymousreply 229August 3, 2018 4:48 PM

if you think about it, if you wanna give Suspiria a new twist this was the only way. So it's not that big of a shocker anyway.

by Anonymousreply 230August 3, 2018 5:33 PM

Sounds as shitty and overrated as the original. Never got the praise for the original SUSPIRIA. Am I missing something?

I totally enjoy thrillers and old fashion horror films. I don't enjoy torture porn such as HOSTEL and film seeing people tortured, I enjoy old school horror films and current horror such as the films about the creepy doll (forgot the titles) and possession, the one about the kid possessed in England was really good. The Dubbuyk box film, The Possession, was also good.

I like Japanese horror films too, but SUSPIRIA, IMHO, was total schlock. Why is this film always cited as the epitome of great horror? It even looked cheaply made.

by Anonymousreply 231August 3, 2018 5:48 PM

I won´t be watching this because it´s not my cup of tea but I don´t get the hype around this movie. Its director went from flop to flop until CMBYN (or Chalamet) , crossed his path and I don´t see why this should be any different.

by Anonymousreply 232August 3, 2018 5:52 PM

That's not a plot twist R229 it has zero influence on the plot and it happens very early on.

by Anonymousreply 233August 3, 2018 6:32 PM

r231. yes, you are missing out on Suspiria.

by Anonymousreply 234August 3, 2018 7:01 PM

Suspiria wasn't a great of a movie narratively r231, but from a filmmaking perspective it was really interesting. Very aesthetically daring, it was hailed for its colorful cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 235August 3, 2018 7:10 PM

This could be the one remake you shouldn't never make but everyone's glad you remade.

by Anonymousreply 236August 26, 2018 8:50 PM

Suspiria is a gorgeous movie but it was also Argento's first movie where the plot completely sucked, the characters and tone were inconsistent, the resolution ridiculous and the acting hideous.

by Anonymousreply 237August 26, 2018 10:10 PM

Let me know when the Comic Con clip (described at R229) leaks online.

by Anonymousreply 238August 27, 2018 2:13 AM

I mean, it's not Goblin...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 4, 2018 4:39 PM

Cool visuals, but ho-hum song. I do like the relentlessness of the musical figure, though... evocative of Goblin's score.

by Anonymousreply 240September 6, 2018 12:38 AM

Suspiria played Fantastic Fest tonight and people are praising it. There's one tweet of someone who's not buying the effusive praise.

@zigglesbarlow Your #Suspiria review makes you sound like a bad parent making excuses for your terrible child's terrible behavior.

Oh look, a picture of everyone tripping over their dicks to write a #Suspiria praise hot take. Blow my mind, you flowery worded shithead, prove to me how smart you are by liking a movie that obviously isn't any good. You rebel!

by Anonymousreply 241September 24, 2018 2:07 AM

These Twitter reviews are out of this world. I'm pretty excited. Between this and Halloween, this season is shaping up to be pretty exciting for horror films.

by Anonymousreply 242September 24, 2018 2:44 AM

Tilda Swinton has admitted that she secretly went though hours of make up to play the male character everyone has been denying she played.

by Anonymousreply 243October 12, 2018 7:14 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244October 12, 2018 7:28 AM

Just saw this at a screening tonight. The only thing going through my head is, 'What the F*** am I watching?"

Thank God it was free.

by Anonymousreply 245October 24, 2018 6:10 AM

Based on some of the reviews I've read (esp. the NYTimes), this sounds like Guadagnino's equivalent of MOTHER!

R237, none of Argento's films are much good in the script department (he started to lose it with the idiotic FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET), but at the the plots of his first couple of giallos were coherent.

by Anonymousreply 246October 26, 2018 7:31 PM

I saw it this weekend and loved it. It truly is a haunting movie. I can’t wait to see it again!

by Anonymousreply 247October 28, 2018 5:27 PM

Go watch it! It’s great!

by Anonymousreply 248October 28, 2018 5:29 PM

I’m getting more (cautiously) optimistic about this the closer to release that it gets.

by Anonymousreply 249October 28, 2018 5:36 PM

After the shit show that was Halloween, I"m glad this one seems to be more polarizing. At least it keeps expectations down.

by Anonymousreply 250October 28, 2018 6:00 PM

I did not know what to make of it at first but I can’t stop thinking of it now. Definitely worth seeing on a big screen with GOOD surround sound.

by Anonymousreply 251October 28, 2018 6:13 PM

Dario's films are like great, trashy, exuberant horrific art.

Luca's films are like beige coffee table art books for middle class pseuds.

by Anonymousreply 252October 28, 2018 6:51 PM

I tried to see this at the arch light Hollywood and literally EVERY SINGLE SEAT was sold out for every show!!!!!!!!

Tarantino said it was amazing and made him cry or something. Is it that good? I loathe every actresses in the movie. Any word if it's any good?

by Anonymousreply 253October 28, 2018 7:20 PM

[quote]Tarantino said it was amazing and made him cry or something.

It's a rehash of an infinitely superior film by someone totally devoid of original ideas. Of course Tarantino loves it.

by Anonymousreply 254October 28, 2018 7:32 PM

Interestingly, Suspiria has better per theatre opening average ($80k) than Beautiful Boy ($50k).

by Anonymousreply 255October 28, 2018 7:45 PM

Boring. Terrible. A waste of money and time.

by Anonymousreply 256October 28, 2018 7:50 PM

I'm nervous about the run time and all the political bullshit I've heard is in there. Does anyone want to see a political remake of a Dario Argento movie? Argento's movies are the definition of style over substance. It sounds like this one might be filled with too much padding and fluff.

How about someone remake Deep Red and have it take place during Vietnam? Maybe Tenebrae during the fall of Berlin Wall will add juicy layers of subtext. Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 257October 28, 2018 8:02 PM

[R252] Calling a person a pseudo intellectual implies you are an intellectual, when in fact a person that is actually an intellectual would not use this term.

by Anonymousreply 258October 28, 2018 10:54 PM

I still prefer the Argento film btw

by Anonymousreply 259October 28, 2018 10:58 PM

I saw it and I have some questions.

Was any of this actually satanic? The coven or the dance company ... or whatever it is ... what is their religion? Who or what is their god?

Did Dakota replace Tilda as the main witch at the end?

Also, was that old naked saggy woman at the end ceremony with the sunglasses Gwyneth Paltrow?

by Anonymousreply 260October 29, 2018 4:33 AM

Why did Chloe Moritz' character start freaking out at the shrinks office when she saw the Masonic compass on his folder??????? Did she think the bricklayers were tied to the witches?

by Anonymousreply 261October 29, 2018 6:17 AM

[quote]Calling a person a pseudo intellectual implies you are an intellectual

Er, no it doesn't. Think that through again, dear x

by Anonymousreply 262October 29, 2018 8:02 AM

I just saw it

I was mesmerized for the entire movie, but I’m majorly confused by the ending.

Also, two she-males are in the film.

by Anonymousreply 263November 1, 2018 5:21 AM

[quote] Also, two she-males are in the film.

I'm guessing the one who taught Susie the jumps . Who is the other?

by Anonymousreply 264November 1, 2018 5:48 AM

The matron who cuts Susie’s hair

He looks exactly like a Monty Python cast member

by Anonymousreply 265November 1, 2018 6:14 AM

I saw it today and am still weirded out by the whole thing. Was quite turned on by Mikael Olsson’s stubby dick and stocky body, though.

by Anonymousreply 266November 4, 2018 12:59 AM

Was it obvious that one of the leads was being played by a person of the opposite gender from the character? Did the audience realize it? I'm trying to avoid a spoiler for those who haven't heard about it.

by Anonymousreply 267November 4, 2018 2:16 AM

[quote] Was it obvious that one of the leads was being played by a person of the opposite gender from the character? Did the audience realize it? I'm trying to avoid a spoiler for those who haven't heard about it.

It was obvious to me because of her features. She had no lines so it was not a plot point. Same with the John C. Reilly/ Joaquin Phoenix film "The Sisters Brother". One character is played by a trans woman but she is playing it as a biologically born woman. Her voice gives her away, though.

by Anonymousreply 268November 4, 2018 2:41 AM

The first “horror” scene in the movie is one of the most grotesque visuals I’ve ever seen in a film. Truly disturbing, very original.

Loved the first 3/4 of the movie, but the last third went off the rails for me ( sometimes less is more).

by Anonymousreply 269November 4, 2018 12:48 PM

The infamous scene they showed at Comic-Con

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270November 4, 2018 11:22 PM

Nice, thank you R270

by Anonymousreply 271November 4, 2018 11:29 PM

Btw people commenting on the video say that the scene is much longer and far more gruesome, but it's still an appetizing preview.

by Anonymousreply 272November 4, 2018 11:30 PM

For me, the sounds are worse than the visuals. The professional dancer who portrayed Olga did a great job!

by Anonymousreply 273November 4, 2018 11:44 PM

So something actually happens with Olga this time around?

by Anonymousreply 274November 5, 2018 12:05 AM

Lordy, there are some smart, knowledgeable people on DL!!!!!! And they're arguing knowledgeably about movies I'll never see and could never see because I'm squeamish and easily frightened. But I salute the extreme and peculiar expertise on display here.

by Anonymousreply 275November 5, 2018 12:25 AM

Unfortunately the film not doing too well in its opening weekend, it barely made the top 20. I guess people would rather see Bohemian Rhapsody, kids--The Nutcracker, urban audiences--Nobody's Fool.

Everybody else probably went to see Venom, A Star is Born, or Halloween.

I really thought Suspiria would at least break the top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276November 5, 2018 12:35 AM

Unfortunately the film not doing too well in its opening weekend, it barely made the top 20. I guess people would rather see Bohemian Rhapsody, kids--The Nutcracker, urban audiences--Nobody's Fool.

Everybody else probably went to see Venom, A Star is Born, or Halloween.

I really thought Suspiria would at least break the top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277November 5, 2018 12:35 AM

It is only in 300 theaters right now -- it had the sixth best per screen average of the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 278November 5, 2018 12:56 AM

I LOVED it. And the original is one of my favorite films. This felt very different but also very much in the same vein and you can tell this was a passion project for Luca. The art direction was absolutely stunning.

by Anonymousreply 279November 5, 2018 1:12 AM

I’m so glad to see you say that R279

Suspiria was high on my list of movies that would be absolutely pointless,or worse, to ever remake but the more I’ve been reading about this it the more it seems like this was legitimately a passion project where somebody wanted to do justice to the story itself.

That I can go with.

The trend of horror remakes reimagining things to be worse, dumber, stupider, and grosser drives me batshit.

by Anonymousreply 280November 5, 2018 1:18 AM

You could cut the entire old man storyline out and have a solid 90 min to 2 hour movie. Way too much pointless, undeveloped political context.

by Anonymousreply 281November 5, 2018 1:22 AM

r281 the "old man storyline" is the sad beating heart of the thing, and you sound like a cheap Hollywood executive with no imagination

by Anonymousreply 282November 5, 2018 1:31 AM

Christ, that scene was brutal! That's terrifying. I haven't even seen the movie yet and I know it's gotta be worth it just for that. THat's the craziest fucking thing I've seen in a horror movie in at least a decade.

by Anonymousreply 283November 5, 2018 3:19 AM

Who do the witches worship and who is their god??? The devil or that thing with the droopy tits in the dungeon at the end???

The fuck is their religious beliefs?

by Anonymousreply 284November 5, 2018 3:54 AM

You might want lay off on the ??? R284

It makes you seem like a senile old man

by Anonymousreply 285November 5, 2018 4:08 AM

From what I gather the Three Mothers don't serve anyone. Their powers are innate. Their coven/zealots serve them. The studio is owned by Mother Markos (droopy tits)who is Mother of Sighs and is supposed to be the most powerful of the Mothers.

by Anonymousreply 286November 5, 2018 5:31 AM

Mother Markos is not The Mother of Sighs -- she was making everybody think she was but then Suzy Bannion revealed herself to be Mother Suspiriorum. The black thing in the basement was a projection of Suzy's repressed true self laying waste to the fakers

by Anonymousreply 287November 5, 2018 8:18 PM

R286 Tilda and Ms Tanner has a conversation where one of them said “I thought we were doing away with calling her “Mother” Markos. If she was truly one of the three Mothers, we wouldn’t be in this situation.”

It turns out that Susie was the true Mother Suspiriorum. And then heads exploded.

by Anonymousreply 288November 5, 2018 8:54 PM

R278. Yeah, but there are no plans to expand that number currently anymore according to BOM. It was crowded around Halloween time but I still can't believe Amazon didn't try to release it then.

by Anonymousreply 289November 5, 2018 9:09 PM

Are there really no plans to expand the number of theaters? That's a shame, because it's not playing anywhere where I live. They should at least release it on VOD then.

by Anonymousreply 290November 5, 2018 9:17 PM

Hated this movie. It did remind me of Neon Demon, but at least that movie had stunning visuals and grabs you in the first 5 minutes. This one took forever to get going, and every scene felt meandering and pointless, the music didn't evoke nostalgia or horror, and most disappointingly the visuals fell flat. Even the effects looked cheap. The choreography was very good as were the locations but aside from a few callbacks to Argento's colorful style, the movie was not stylized at all. Nobody was frightened by the climax as much as they were trying to figure out what was going on. Not sure why they had Chloe for such a pointless role. The scenes with old man just dragged the film further down. An absolute mess of a movie. If the actresses started defecating on screen, it would have failed to get a reaction from the audience based on how bemused and disengaged they were.

by Anonymousreply 291November 6, 2018 3:23 AM

I sorta loved it until the last 20 minutes (which needed more clarity and less blurry heads exploding). I normally can't stand Dakota, either.

It's not the original, but I am not sure it wants to me. There's something loving in the homage.

by Anonymousreply 292November 6, 2018 3:37 AM

Dakota's abnormal, alien-sized forehead makes everything else UNWATCHABLE when she is on screen I'm sorry but it's true. They should have given her a thick headband to lessen the gap between hairline and eyebrows. Something. Anything. Good god please.

by Anonymousreply 293November 6, 2018 4:37 AM

Hysterical queen, thinking he’s witty, poor lamb ^

by Anonymousreply 294November 6, 2018 4:46 AM

Dakota is cute and looks more like her dad Don in the face. She’s not nearly as hot or pretty as her mom Melanie was in her prime, though.

by Anonymousreply 295November 6, 2018 11:33 AM

She's a better actor than her Mom ever was, though

by Anonymousreply 296November 6, 2018 11:35 AM

How much screen time does Angela Winkler have?

by Anonymousreply 297November 6, 2018 12:54 PM

Dakota never could have pulled off Something Wild, Body Double or Working Girl.

by Anonymousreply 298November 6, 2018 12:57 PM

Dakota's performance in Bigger Splash is really good and sly and surprising

by Anonymousreply 299November 6, 2018 1:45 PM

[quote]How much screen time does Angela Winkler have?

Quite a bit. She was Madame Blanc (Tilda Swinton) right hand woman.

by Anonymousreply 300November 6, 2018 1:52 PM

Is Dakota now a top 5 hollywood star actress she's literally everywhere I look. El Royale, Suspiria, she's got to be getting the first choices on screenplays now with the big girls.

by Anonymousreply 301November 6, 2018 7:07 PM

R300 Thanks. I haven't seen in a role any larger than a cameo since Michael Haneke's Benny's Video. Great to see her return to the screen and loved all her stuff from the 1970's & 1980's.

by Anonymousreply 302November 6, 2018 9:24 PM

Why hasn’r This movie played in my area yet ? Shouldn’t it done wide Halloween ?

by Anonymousreply 303November 21, 2018 4:59 AM

Google it, you lazy whore

by Anonymousreply 304November 21, 2018 5:12 AM

R303 Because its a box office failure but will hit streaming and physical media soon no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 305November 21, 2018 5:13 AM

Oh was it a failure?

I saw about two hundred people waiting on line for this opening night in Hollywood. I couldn't believe it.

by Anonymousreply 306November 21, 2018 6:05 AM

It's only in 311 theaters compared to Amazon Studios' other film Beautiful Boy which is in 776 theaters. But even for that limited amount of theaters the box office haul is not good at all. $2.6 million on a $20 million budget. But at least Luca got the chance to make the film he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 307November 21, 2018 6:14 AM

I don't think Amazon had any faith in this movie, especially when they knew it would be competing with Halloween during the holiday which, I think, did way better than anyone was expecting. It still hasn't played anywhere near me and probably won't.

I think Amazon got scared after The Neon Demon which was similar in style and story to Suspiria. Very art house-y and no one went to see it (and a lot of the mainstream audiences that did hated it and told their friends not to see it). And that one DID play near me for about a week.

I just don't understand why they'd drop 20 mil on a movie they knew would have a very limited audience. Dropping 1-5 mil is understandable, but c'mon. Maybe they hope it can snag some nominations for Best Makeup or Best Score or something.

I assume this will hit Amazon Prime by January and be free for Prime subscribers just like all of Amazon's other movies. Certainly, they can't be making too much money off of that.

by Anonymousreply 308November 21, 2018 5:19 PM

I want to see it but Dakota is no Jessica Harper plus the last thing she looks like is a ballet dancer.

by Anonymousreply 309November 21, 2018 6:17 PM

R309 It was ballet for the original movie. In this version, it's a modern dance academy.

by Anonymousreply 310November 21, 2018 6:26 PM

I really want to see this but it’s not playing anywhere near me at all. I couldn’t find a single theater listing in the entire state.

by Anonymousreply 311November 21, 2018 9:34 PM

Amazon has zero confidence in this, but I think they're right. They don't want a Mother! situation where they open this weird, goofy arthouse horror movie wide and audiences tear it apart, they lose tons of money, and the movie's pulled out of theaters in a week.

I'm just curious as to why they financed this movie and for SO much money, too. 20 mil? That's a lot of money to spend on a movie you know will never play anywhere but arthouses. Seems like they'd know it'd be a losing situation. Or maybe they were hoping to cash in on the critical success of Call Me By Your Name.

by Anonymousreply 312November 21, 2018 11:39 PM

R312, I think Amazon is just like Netflix was a couple of years ago, in their eagerness to be associated with major cinematic talent. And one of the ways to attract that talent is to throw a ton of money at them to do whatever they want. Netflix has backed off of that a bit, and HBO backed off from it years ago, but Amazon is playing catch-up, and they're probably viewing it as an investment in their brand that will pay off in prestige/future possibilities, even if it doesn't at the box office. So yeah, I think they had people keeping an eye out, took note of Call Me By Your Name's critical success and got involved. Of course, Netflix has lost a TON of money this way, so I don't know how great of an idea it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 313November 22, 2018 10:15 AM

Netflix threw $90 mil at that execrable, "Bright", AND they greenlit the sequel. I think Amazon is gunning for awards (see the, "Okja" situation)- limited theatrical release so it can be properly called a movie and be in the running, then wide streaming release.

R308- $20 mil is still considered low budget.

by Anonymousreply 314November 22, 2018 5:14 PM

I loved Okja

by Anonymousreply 315November 22, 2018 6:21 PM

Wow! Priscilla Barnes has been in 30 episodes of Jane the Virgin. She has had a decent career.

by Anonymousreply 316November 22, 2018 8:39 PM

Oops. Wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 317November 22, 2018 8:39 PM

Witch!

by Anonymousreply 318November 22, 2018 10:12 PM

Watched it last week on DVD from Netflix. What a piece of pretentious, tedious crap. Not scary for one moment. It's one of those films that tries to be about a lot of different things, but fails to be engaging or convincing at any of them.

At least Argento had one basic thing in mind - the scare the crap out of you.

by Anonymousreply 319April 9, 2019 9:16 AM

Why was the shrink character even in the movie? I'm telling you - the movie would be 60-70% better if they cut that character out completely.

by Anonymousreply 320April 9, 2019 7:39 PM

Mark Kermode was spot-on in his critical assessment that there is a very strong 100 minute film trapped inside this indulgent mess. I sorta kinda loved it, especially how audaciously Luca adapted the material into something completely different but with definite echoes and callbacks to the original... but, nobody expected this to be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 321April 9, 2019 7:47 PM

R320 it's stated in Tilda's contract that in every film she's in, she must either play an over-the-top, cartoony character, an androgynous character, or a male character, so they quickly wrote in the shrink role so she'd agree to sign on to the film.

by Anonymousreply 322April 9, 2019 7:49 PM

R320, at best the shrink character may have been a (very loose) approximation of Dr. Vertigas from the original.

by Anonymousreply 323April 9, 2019 8:03 PM

Great review, r291, agree completely. I so wanted to like this. I love the first half of the original, which is a truly original movie, though the ending is bad. This, however, was terrible. It had so much talent and some good ideas but pretensiouness won. It is boring and the only scene remotely scary/upsetting is the bones breaking dance, which is actually the first horror scene in the movie. Stangely, I think Dakota was quite good for the role, she had an ambiguous quality that seemed to suggest dumbness which worked.

by Anonymousreply 324April 13, 2019 2:32 PM

Stopped it not even twenty minutes in as I was so bored. There was nothing particularly compelling about the camerawork to keep me watching either. Disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 325April 13, 2019 2:37 PM

The market's a little oversaturated with freaky shit right now.

by Anonymousreply 326April 13, 2019 2:42 PM

I was surprised by how much I liked Dakota in this, too. She wasn't half bad. Chloe Moretz was fucking useless as always, though. Mia Goth was great, as was Tilda. It just needed to trim at least 30 minutes. The shrink stuff should be first on the chopping block. I get that he was the apparent emotional center of the film, but all his scenes felt like they were from a totally different movie. There really is a pretty good 100 minute movie in here waiting to get out. Someone should try doing one of those fan cut things and see if it would work.

by Anonymousreply 327April 13, 2019 8:26 PM

I still haven't seen the film. I usually read New York Magazine reviews and they wound up running two reviews for this film. The first reviewer trashed it as pretentious garbage while the second reviewer loved the movie. I though it was odd because nymag usually does not run multiple reviews of the same film.

by Anonymousreply 328April 13, 2019 8:45 PM

Unlike Hereditary I liked the freaky out of control ending. One girl’s wish was to live but was she killed anyway ?We all love Tilda. Old age makeup and have a woman play a man rarely works. The role should have gone to a real man or been cut out all together and give Tess Harper a different cameo.

by Anonymousreply 329April 13, 2019 8:47 PM

I think Hereditary's bonkers ending didn't work, because the rest of the film had a slightly different flavor. It's my only nitpick with that film - otherwise, I found it to be one of the true classic horror films of the past 2 decades. With Suspiria, I almost feel like that ending could have gotten even crazier.

by Anonymousreply 330April 13, 2019 9:08 PM

Twas shit.

by Anonymousreply 331April 13, 2019 9:25 PM

Holy Mary Mother of God this has to be the most boring movie ever made. Zero tension, even the bone breaking scene was boring. Watching on Amazon Prime who produced this mess and it looks terrible. All washed out in browns. I had heard the cinematography was gorgeous, well it ain't. Halfway thru....so Moretz was in it only for the first ten minutes? Still haven't seen Jessica Harper who I really like unless I actually went into an instantaneously temporary coma due to boredom.

by Anonymousreply 332May 12, 2019 1:08 AM

Just watched it. It was horrible. I think it was really badly directed.

by Anonymousreply 333June 17, 2019 5:25 PM

It had its moments, but it needed an editor. So much potential and a great cast. Why did they decide to stick in that pretentious subplot about the psychiatrist? It was like something from one of those awful student films or shorts you see at a film festival that thinks it's super deep, but it's not. Cut that out and it would have been halfway decent.

by Anonymousreply 334June 17, 2019 5:41 PM

R120

IT IS TILDA.

"In October 2018, Swinton told The New York Times that Dr. Klemperer was played by Lutz Ebersdorf and Ebersdorf was played by her.

When asked why she played Ebersdorf, she said, "for the sheer sake of fun above all... The intention was never to fool anybody. The genius of [makeup artist] Mark Coulier notwithstanding, it was always our design that there would be something unresolved about the identity of the performance of Klemperer."

Swinton asked the makeup department to make a prosthetic penis, which she wore during filming.

Swinton wrote Ebersdorf's IMDb biography herself.

Guadagnino stated in a subsequent interview in Vulture that several of the actors in the film believed Ebersdorf to be a real person, specifically Ingrid Caven, who was unaware it was Swinton in disguise until after filming wrapped filming."

by Anonymousreply 335October 15, 2019 12:38 PM

Total garbage. The only thing scary was someone gave money to the director to make this mess.

by Anonymousreply 336October 15, 2019 1:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!