Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“I’m Gonna Getcha Good” by Shania Twain

I just discovered this song and video (I know, it’s old). I have a few questions:

Why is this considered Country Western music?

Why does her band look like a punk rock band?

WTF is going in the video? She’s being chased by a giant flying robot that gets destroyed? Again, what is the connection to Country Western?

Other than that I really like the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2018 3:27 PM

She is not Country. She made some of the worst music of all time.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2018 1:03 PM

Shania was more country when she started. Her husband and producer, Mutt Lange (to whom she was married at the time), started to introduce rock and pop elements into her music, leading the move of country in a more pop direction. The lines between country and pop blurred temporarily, with top country artists (almost all women) expanding into the pop realm. The eventual backlash from the Country Music Industry resulted in almost all of the "offenders" being dropped from country radio. The blackballed country artists (Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Trisha Yearwood) could no longer get country radio support (even by returning to a more country sound), but they also couldn't be completely embraced by pop radio (except for Taylor Swift, who had to officially announce that she was releasing a pop album with 1989, even though her previous release, Red, was obviously pop and not country). Country music fans are often said to be the most loyal, when in fact they will turn on someone in a heartbeat if they stray outside of a very narrow lane.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2018 1:16 PM

She's a Trumpista. Shitty music for shitty people.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2018 1:19 PM

Shania Twain is a plastic creation of her former husband Mutt Lange who put her on the map. Even her name is fabricated and fake.

She's pretty much all show and very little substance.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2018 1:56 PM

Very young Shania Twain (look at the bad teeth). Real name, Eilleen Edwards. Now 52 years old.

Born in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2018 2:02 PM

That video is also the "red" version of the song. Shania released Up in two formats/mixes: red (pop) and green (country). The country just had more fiddles & stuff. I thought it was a silly idea. But Shania's hardly the first time country and pop have merged. The same thing happened in the Urban Cowboy era of the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2018 2:24 PM

Why is there a sudden need to make Shania Twain happen on the DL?

She ain't no Loretta Lynn, but someone sure is trying to make her happen. Are you trying to replicate that long-running thread's success or simply another unhinged fan?

She's simply not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2018 2:59 PM

R5 those teeth are obviously photoshopped

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2018 3:07 PM

R7 i'm neither, I just saw tge video on my YT feed and was confused by what I saw.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2018 3:08 PM

No they're not R8. Here's a video of a 1980 performance and they really looked like that.

She peaked in her late 30s, so even if she hadn't made the Trump comment, she still wasn't going to make some big comeback.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2018 3:15 PM

I love her COME ON OVER album. Put that on a nice Summer Saturday evening. Have a nice dinner and some drinks, maybe outside. It's great.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2018 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!