Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2018 State Dinner for France

I like Melania’s attempt, but there’s just a lack of taste, no? I think this is the death knell of WASP American taste, fully replaced by NYC flashy new cash. The Third Lady and her tan, contouring and sequined Chanel- not classic American taste.

And the place settings were garish gold like their penthouse. Too much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2018 10:57 PM

Melania is gaudy new money from an Eastern Euro background, married to the man with the gaudiest taste in Earth outside of the Vatican. They are ostentatious. Anything demure would be shocking.

by Anonymousreply 1April 25, 2018 11:26 AM

That gold-plated cutlery made my hair stand on end. And the 5 cm gold-rimmed china was nearly as bad. Less is more, arrivistes!

by Anonymousreply 2April 25, 2018 5:59 PM

Damn, what pissed him off?

by Anonymousreply 3April 25, 2018 6:03 PM

The Movie (2018)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2018 7:06 PM

Um, the gold plated dishes, cultlery and glass all came from the Waspy presidents of yore...specifically, Clinton and both Bushes.

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2018 7:11 PM

^^^^ What R5 said

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2018 7:12 PM

[quote] I like Melania’s attempt, but there’s just a lack of taste, no? I think this is the death knell of WASP American taste,

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2018 7:14 PM

They photographed the Bush selected gold rimmed service plates. These were coupled with some green or green-patterned china the Clintons had selected, which there are no pics in the DL links... I believe the gold rimmed goblets were Nancy Reagan's selection.

by Anonymousreply 8April 25, 2018 7:17 PM

She's getting hefty.

by Anonymousreply 9April 25, 2018 7:18 PM

The green patterned china may have been Bush 41. The Clinton's china was a thick gold rim. The bush 43 china was also,gold rimmed, but thinner.

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2018 7:23 PM

Sorry R10, but I read distinctly the opposite! The real question is where did the over the top silver giilt flatware come from? Totally tacky. Any one of the gold items might not be as bad, but Melania did make up the mélange!

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2018 7:27 PM

Sorry, r11, you may have read the opposite but it doesn't mean it's true. The Clinton's set was only gold and cream with the white house in the center. The Clinton's did not have green in their china.

One of the Bushes had gold and green and another set with a large magnolia.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2018 7:35 PM

R12 Washington Post article link in the other thread described two sets of gold dishes, from Clintons and Bushes. One article referred to the Bush's service plates. The service plates are the only plates one sees before food is served. I shall try to find the link saying the "Clinton's Green Dinner plates". My point though really was Melania is responsible for combining all the fucking gold. That my friend cannot be argued, as she is proudly taking all the credit.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2018 7:45 PM

Melania never accessorizes. I think that's one reason why The Hat was such a shocker yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 14April 25, 2018 7:49 PM

R13, just google Bill Clinton white house china pattern and do same for George Bush. It's not that difficult.

The Clinton's had hold and cream china. Bush had hold and green, as well as a less formal magnolia pattern.

by Anonymousreply 15April 25, 2018 7:49 PM

Also, r13, I take it you know little about presidential china if you think she had to comb through it to look for the gold patterns.

If you really want tacky, Nancy Regan's China was hideous.

by Anonymousreply 16April 25, 2018 7:52 PM

Nancy Reagan also selected the gold-rimmed spit cups, r8.

by Anonymousreply 17April 25, 2018 7:52 PM

she was wearing clothing in honor of Macron. The dress was French, the hat was French. what she really wanted to do was show up Macron's wife. She should have worn something American or from her own country, not the visitor's country.

no matter what she is wearing though her shallowness shows thru

by Anonymousreply 18April 25, 2018 7:57 PM

Oh for chrissakes, this is turning into a regular Corelle thread.....

by Anonymousreply 19April 25, 2018 7:58 PM

It was windy. And she didn't want the hairpiece that hides her balding to be revealed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 25, 2018 8:08 PM

R16 I don't know why you are so testy, I just said I read they were using service plates from the Bushes. I don't really give a bloody rat's arse whose china it is anyway... My WHOLE FUCKING POINT WAS ONE SET WOULD NOT BE AS BAD AS MIXING IT ALL UP WITH SILVERGILT FLATWARE AND GOLD RIMMED GOBLETS! I'm not googling all their bloody patterns you ridiculous queen!

by Anonymousreply 21April 25, 2018 8:14 PM

R21, you're saying I'm testy? 1) You keep coming back at me 2) the info you keep coming back at me with is demonstrably wrong and 3) a simple google search on your part would have prevented at least two of the wrong posts of yours.

So, if testy mean having to deal with idiots like you, then, yes, I'm testy.

by Anonymousreply 22April 25, 2018 8:34 PM

R18, Michelle Obama wore Alexander McQueen to state dinners. When the republicans took her to task on it, she rightfully told them she'll wear what she wants and what she feels comfortable wearing. So first ladies don't always wear American.

by Anonymousreply 23April 25, 2018 8:38 PM

I'm watching "The Movie." Tim Cook was there. No iPad sale from me, mister.

by Anonymousreply 24April 25, 2018 8:45 PM

Melania looked perfectly fine, and I bet the place settings did, too. A la Michelle, Melania can wear whatever she wants. I love you all to pieces, but oh, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 25April 25, 2018 9:05 PM

It’s the new American Gothic.

by Anonymousreply 26April 25, 2018 9:36 PM

You are trying too hard, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27April 25, 2018 10:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!