Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much do they save by shooting in Toronto?

I'm watching SUITS on amazon prime (starring our new Grace Kelly, Sparkle) (she's quite good in it) and note it was filmed in Toronto.

How much does a production company save by shooting outside the U.S. Is it like 10% overall, 20%....what?

(As a side note, it would be kind of a drag for performers, who are usually used to being based in NYC or L.A., to sign over years of their lives to living away from home. Of course, most any of us would do it...but it might be kind of crappy.) (Uggghhh....and what if you were trapped in the deep south for years, like the WALKING DEAD cast and crew??)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2018 8:31 AM

I just want to point out that Toronto is less than 45 minutes by plane from NYC. And a lot of films and TV series also shoot in Vancouver. Personally I'd rather shoot in Toronto, because I prefer the east coast. I guess if you live in LA then Vancouver isn't too bad.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2018 3:46 AM

Hmmmm....thanks, that hadn't ocurred to me.

Yes, that would ease the pain a BIT. But you'd have the additional expense of maintaining residences in two cities, as well, even if you flew home to the U.S. every weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2018 3:53 AM

Closing off streets, parking trucks and securing locations is a lot easier in Toronto than in New York. That's a big advantage.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2018 3:57 AM

Some people don't want to go to Canada. Calista Flockhart had her role on Supergirl (don't know if she is even still in it) cut back because she didn't want to go when the show left LA for Vancouver.

David Ducovney would only sign for the last seasons of The X Files if the show moved to LA (from Vancouver)

The only shows that seem to film there are stuff from the "lower" networks.

Most major network shows and big cable stuff (HBO) seem to be done in the US.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2018 4:04 AM

hot guys on iit, nudity? homo ness?

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2018 4:16 AM

no it's boring as fuck and really far fetched.

Like some guy who never graduated law school and is practicing law and people at the top rated firm didn't know. utter BS.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2018 4:26 AM

They have one character who was my favorite in Seasons 1 & 2, who came across like a demented, pissy queen. (He's a controlling, genius lawyer.) But then they matched up with a woman (Rachael Harris from the divine FAT ACTRESS) so I guess he was straight all along. (I'm only in Season 3, so maybe he's later revealed to be bi.)

But his character of Louis Litt is so funny...he kidnapped a rival lawyer's cat, came to love it, then staged a custody hearing to have the other attorney declared an unfit pet owner so he could keep it.

(His coworkers also occassionally try to bribe him with tickets to the ballet, and plays starring Glenn Close.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2018 4:38 AM

Suits is a great show. Love the drama and humour.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2018 5:00 AM

And someone actually asks this hours after people are shot and killed in Toronto. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2018 5:09 AM

45 minutes from NYC ? By plane ?

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2018 5:19 AM

Sorry mistook Vancouver for Toronto

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2018 5:20 AM

they weren't shot r9. Check your new source again and then come back and be all moralizing and superior. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2018 6:43 AM

I think part of it is due to "CanCon" rules... Canadian TV channels (including cable) have to meet certain percentages of "Canadian Content". If Netflix produces a show with American actors, but films it in Vancouver, it's officially a Canadian show that's worth more in syndication.

It's kind if like why every American TV show now has at least 1 or 2 major actors from Britain, or finds random excuses to have occasional episodes take place in London or elsewhere in Britain... major tax incentives to film there, and the show seems less foreign to British viewers. In American TV shows now, London is arguably less-exotic of a location than West Bumfuck, North Dakota.

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2018 7:42 AM

The mud, r7. Do not forget the mud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2018 7:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2018 8:28 AM

Just the hassle of shooting in NYC, the permits, crowd control, location fees, makes shooting in Canada a lot less expensive than NYC.

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2018 8:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!