Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ugh, my neighbor is an accountant who thinks he's a biker.

I know most people with motorcycles are deplorables but my neighbor isn't. Still, ever since the weather's been nice, he's been out driving that stupid bike of his. He's always had a motorcycle, but it's even more annoying now because he just bought a brand new Harley of some kind last year and it has that that low, loud, rumbling sound, and I hate it. If he's not driving it, he's out in his driveway washing and polishing it, (which is better than him driving it). I suppose it's better than those high pitched racing bikes I hear around sometimes, but I still hate it. I want to say something to him about how much I hate the noise, but he's been a pretty good neighbor otherwise - I had a minor surgery a few months ago and several times he came and cleared all the snow off of my driveway and sidewalk without even asking me. He also came and fixed my garage door when it was stuck and didn't even want to take a bottle of wine in thanks for helping me out.

So, should I say something about his bike or should I let it go?

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 8:30 PM

There are more ways to behave deplorably than to be a right-wing asshole. Lots of other assholes in the world.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 5:48 PM

OPs complaint is so ridiculous this must be a troll.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 5:53 PM

If he's out riding, OP, how is the noise bothering you? 1/10, but only because it makes some sense.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 5:55 PM

Why, r2? Motorcycles don't bother me, but I have a friend who hates the sound of them so much, he would ban them from existing. Everybody's got something.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 5:55 PM

No, not trolling. His motorcycle is loud.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 5:55 PM

Sounds like he's a great neighbor - better than most. Probably best for you to to let this minor annoyance go.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 5:56 PM

Is he hot? Does he clean the motorcycle shirtless? These are the important details OP

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 5:56 PM

R6 is right

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 5:57 PM

Agree with r6

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 5:57 PM

Same thing here. Asshole next door, 42, a "tech salesman," won't park in his garage because he doesn't want to drive up the alley, and poot-poots on his motorcycle that he doesn't understand and can barely start, so he stands next to my house for 15 minutes revving and choking.

BUT my neighbor thinks of no one but himself, never said thank you for the various small things we've done for him, an is not merely coming and going on his bike. Yes, the OP is a putz.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 5:59 PM

Yes, he's out there riding, R3, but it makes noise when he's coming and going from his house. I hear it from inside my house and from my backyard if I'm trying to relax.

I'm like your friend, R4. The only thing that's worse than those big bikes, like the one he has, are those racing ones that are screechy and high pitched. I think those ones are worse.

No, not hot, R7. He's in good shape, but he's a 50 year old married father of two. Nice guy, his wife and kids are nice people too. It's just the noise of that damn bike. Why does he need a bike anyway? He's a damned nerdy accountant, not a Hells Angel or some other gang member.

Oh no, R10, my neighbor doesn't do that. He keeps it in his garage unless he's out on it or washing it. He knows how to ride properly, no crazy revving or anything, but that bass rumble it has is amazingly loud.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 6:02 PM

OP, if you are serious in your complaint, after the dude shoveled your driveway and fixed your garage, you are a real piece of work. Buy some noise cancelling headphones and stfu.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 6:02 PM

If you have a good relationship with him, just ask him not to rev' it at certain times. The proper approach to these requests is everything, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 6:06 PM

I know it was nice of him to clear my driveway, he did it to be neighborly, R12, but I think he was partially motivated because he has a new snowblower and he's one of those straight guys who loves tools etc...doesn't matter though, he was nice enough to help out when I needed it, and I was very grateful.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 6:16 PM

Its not just straight guys R14 I got a new lawn mower last year and was in love. Started mowing the law each week.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 6:18 PM

"my neighbor is an accountant who thinks he's a biker."

There's no accounting for taste.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 6:19 PM

I feel bad for your neighbor, OP; you sound like a real jerk.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 6:20 PM

R16 You really deserve an award for that one. Brava!

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 6:20 PM

Those bikes are nasty loud and OP has a right to be annoyed. Lots of towns have noise ordinances, OP. Again, I'd ask, but if he's not the type to be approached, I'd pop a copy of the local noise bans in his mailbox. He'll get the message.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 6:23 PM

Once you’ve become an accountant, lawyer or banker you will never ever be cool again. Not even if you drop out, become homeless and start taking ayahuasca.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 6:25 PM

I guess that's why these boring types run off and get things like motorcycles, R20? So they can try to be cool, even if they fail miserably?

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 6:36 PM

OR....Maybe they just always wanted a motorcycle?

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2018 6:38 PM

When my neighbour bought a bike a couple years back he shaved his head, grew a goatee, got tattoos and walks around with his chest puffed out like's he's 10 feet tall and bullet proof.

He hasn't had a job in five years and takes care of the kids while his wife works as a nurse.

I don't think he sees the absurdity of his situation as keenly as he should.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2018 6:43 PM

As long as he isn't racing around after 10 or 11 PM, I don't see the problem. He sounds like a good neighbor. It could be worse, trust me a lot worse.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2018 6:49 PM

I often see a bunch of middle aged white people out riding their motorcycles on the weekend. I refer to them as Hell's Accountants.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2018 6:51 PM

I don't mind noise I know is going to end soon. Unless it wakes me up, of course. Does he wake you up, OP?

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2018 6:52 PM

I can't RELAX in my backyard if I hear a noise!

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2018 6:54 PM

Hop on and ask him to take you for a ride.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2018 6:56 PM

Buy a White Noise machine. When you start to hear the noise, push the button to turn it on.

You sound pretty lucky with your neighbor with all the snow shoveling when you were in need and the repair help.

Complaining now, unless the noise is a constant nuisance, would erode your good relationship.

Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2018 6:56 PM

He doesn't wake me up, R26. It's just that the noise from the bike interrupts an otherwise quiet street.

No way would I get I one of those things, R28!

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2018 6:57 PM

I get OP's complaints. We have the local version of the Clampetts behind us: trailer trash in a gentrified neighborhood and Jethro has a bike he revs more than he rides. It's annoying. They don't shovel our driveway or do anything else neighborly. Jed has one level of talking - if he was a stereo the volume control would be permanently set to 10 - and every sentence he utters includes the F word. Their yappy dog did nothing but bark all day but that's gone - the neighbors next door must have seen to that or else it ran into the street in order to be killed by a car just to get away from them - and Granny is constantly berating the grandchild she's raising for Jethro's drug addict gf, calling him stupid and the kid's maybe 4 or 5. Spring and fall are the times I notice it. The heat's on in the winter and the a/c in the summer and that keeps the windows closed but now that the weather's warmer, we hear it all. Most of the time and apart from destroying the little kid's mind it's mildly entertaining in the same way a trainwreck is: you can't look but you can't help looking except here it's "listen" instead.

But the motorcycle noise makes me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2018 8:18 PM

Yeah, I gave it some more thought and I'm not going to say anything. He's not an asshole and aside from the bike, I couldn't ask for a nicer neighbor. We do have a good relationship, his kids are nice and respectful and I don't want to make things awkward or make him feel uncomfortable. So I'll bite my tongue and deal with it.

Thanks for hearing me out.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 8:26 PM

I had a nice neighbor I didn't want to confront about his loud stereo. I slammed the window shut, loudly, when he was out there getting ready to turn it on. He apologized when I saw him later. Sometimes a non-verbal cue is all it takes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 8:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!