Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carole King Admits She is Responsible for Some Really Shitty Music

I think it is so brave and candid of Carole to get it off her chest and admit to the world that she is partly responsible for Gloria Estefan.

Would that we could all be so honest about our failings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2018 7:57 PM

I thought this was going to be about all those post-Tapestry flops.

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 3:58 PM

That was the joke, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 4:00 PM

It's truly amazing how awful some of Carole King's post Tapestry CDs really were.

Given the outstanding quality of Tapestry, it is incredible to think the same person was behind "Welcome Home" and "Simple Things."

Yes, all artists have trouble living in the shadow of a great hit, and Wrap Around Joy showed the talent (in a very superficial way), but the drop-off in quality by King was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 4:04 PM

[italic]Really Rosie[/italic] was good as an album and a cartoon. At least there she had Maurice Sendak's poetry to work with.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 4:07 PM

The only good Gloria Estefan album was her last one.

It was all instrumentals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 4:14 PM

Really Rosie was good.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 4:15 PM

Have a cup, R6.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 4:18 PM

Thank you R7. When I was a kid I couldn't stop playing that song. It seemed like the most tuneful thing I had ever heard.

Brings back great memories.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 4:26 PM

Before we bash everything post-Tapestry, let's not forget 1974's "Jazzman"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 4:30 PM

R9 Jazzman is one of my least favorite songs on Wrap Around Joy.

I think it has an amazing collection of melodies. But the lyrics are not Carole's. Although this not necessarily a bad thing, as she wrote some atrocious ones, it makes the songs seem more superficial and removed from her usual, personal offerings.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 4:32 PM

[3] Maybe it’s because the late 60s and early 70s had a certain vibe that enabled some people to make great music. I wasn’t around then, so I’m just speculating.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 4:49 PM

Gloria Estefan, back when she was able to almost fill 300-seat theaters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 4:57 PM

Estefan's all Spanish album Mi Tierra was good. I listened to it in a music store and bought it. She sounds better singing in her native language then she ever has in her American hits IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 5:23 PM

I like Gloria Estefan. She certainly has a better voice than Carole King. And Carole's biggest hit single, "It's Too Late", it sounds like a horrible funeral dirge. She is a good songwriter but no great shakes as a singer.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 5:29 PM

R14 I remember Gloria Estefan singing "It's Too Late" at the White House when Carole King was given the Gershwin Award.

Gloria made the song sound like a banal pop song; whereas, Carole infused it with melancholy and depth.

Of all the performers that night, Gloria was, by far, the most forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 5:36 PM

If you want to hear a good cover version that isn't a slavish copy of the original, give The Stylistics' version a spin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 6:01 PM

That is a good version, R16. But those falsetto voices make the song sound like children singing about their lovers in bed. UGH.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 6:14 PM

I didn't get that impression, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 6:17 PM

Sorry r16 the Stylistics cover is as bad as Swift's September.

Destroys everything that was good about the song. I'm all for artists covering each others music even if its a bad remake though. Drives me crazy everyone giving Swift shit for doing it. At least the bitch has good taste in music even if she can't produce any herself.

That's a good Stylistics album though, Stone In Love With You is one of me favorite songs from that time period. Love how they hold that note at the very end of the song. Gave me chills.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 6:33 PM

Carole has always possessed a squawky voice. Not a good singer.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 6:39 PM

They tried double-tracking her in the early 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 6:41 PM

Carole King would be the first to admit that she was never a great singer.

She did, however, bring an honesty to her songs. I always found her voice to be very comforting to listen to. (Unlike the screechy Joni Mitchell's early CDs)

And she sang far better than many of her male singer-songerwriter counterparts, like Bob Dylan and Kris Kristofferson.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2018 7:05 PM

She wasn't Aretha Franklin, but her voice was just right for the singer-songwriter era. There's a reason Tapestry sold a zillion copies.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2018 7:07 PM

Carole King. Very good songwriter but semi-shitty voice/singer. She would never have made it on her bland voice alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2018 7:54 PM

Gloria Estefan. Good looks AND good voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2018 7:56 PM

One of my favorite songs by her, Bad Boy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2018 7:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!