Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

why do we support the stereotypes about ourselves?

There is a bunch of them, you all know them, I'm sure. Yet I have a distinct impression that some people are purposefully behaving or dressing in a way that makes them closer to those stereotypes. How many times have you seen a regular dude come out of the closet and in a month he is limp wristed, obsessed with fashion and talks like he's trying to get the title of the gayest gay who ever gayed.

Sexuality does not affect any other area of your life. You don't look, talk, behave, dress in a certain way because you are gay or bisexual or pansexual or whatever. So why pretend that it does?

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 3:23 PM

Just recently there was this old movie (North by Northwest) where one of the characters was supposed to be gay. I watched it and I went, but why is he gay? There is no romance or sex in his story. He doesn't date men or fuck men, and of course not exclusively (because hello bisexuals exist).

Are we supposed to know that he is gay because he is what, well-dressed? Somewhat affected in his manners? Come on.

Of course, it's ancient stuff but the representation of today isn't much better. How about showing a regular dude who is gay because he dates only other dudes, not because his shoelaces are bright pink?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 1:52 PM

Stereotypes are based on truth.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 2:12 PM

I say embrace the stereotypes, but also show a broader range. The problem with saying flamboyant people are a stereotype is that it’s reverse discrimination. Did you consider that after you come out you may have a lot of bottled up gayness to let out? Embrace the full spectrum of gay men.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 3:00 PM

It’s all about shame. Some gay men are glad to no longer act like a fake “regular” guy. Gay men are not all just like straight men except for the part about sex attraction, face it. Why deny it? It’s because it’s not socially acceptable and straight acting gays don’t want to be associated with that. Why gay men can be obnoxious I don’t know, for some reason they like to act bitchy/fabulous. They’re part woman? It’s a defense mechanism? I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 3:12 PM

Ever seen a gay guy who tried to be super flamboyant?

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 3:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!