Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Westworld’s Simon Quarterman Thinks Every Actor Should Try Full-Frontal Nudity

April 22, 2018

Q) It’s obviously a very revealing moment when Maeve forces Lee to strip naked. What was your initial reaction to that?

A) Well, I actually knew about this months before we started. Jonathan and Lisa talked to me about it and asked how I’d feel about doing that. My immediate response was, “Sure, whatever you need.” It’s not often that we see a man naked. It’s a rare thing. Women have to reveal a lot all the time, and it felt so in keeping with what we were doing with the themes and with the tables being turned. And obviously, doing it with Thandie, who spent most of the season last year naked. I found it incredibly powerful, actually. When we were shooting, I was very clear to the team that they could shoot it however they wanted to. I thought it was important for that scene to happen. Although, it’s been a very interesting experience to go through [the premiere] last night.

Q) How so?

A) Actually, I’d recommend it to anyone. I was really concerned about that moment. As you can imagine, you’re sitting in an auditorium full of a bunch of people. You know it’s coming up and you’ve built yourself up to this. And it’s coming, I’m about to get naked in front of everyone here. After it occurred, it’s quite liberating because it is shown now. Can’t go back, can’t hide that anymore. It is just a body. I mean, we’ve all got one. It’s very liberating.

Q) It was surprisingly impactful to see that reversal.

A) Yeah, I think that’s the beautiful part of it. But it was surprising. I don’t think anyone was ever going to expect anything like that happening. Like I said before, it was very much about the tables being turned and the hosts suddenly becoming in control. It’s a mirroring of what these hosts have to go through.

For Lee, it’s about the breaking down of this egoic construct and chipping away at the rules of that. The stripping down of it. Maybe there’s something lurking underneath.

Q) Did you have any trepidation approaching the scene? Did you ask for anything to make sure you felt comfortable?

A) Yeah, it was all dealt with an awful lot of respect. The team were incredible and they make sure that you are feeling so comfortable about it. I talked at length with Jonathan the night before and once we talked through it all, and then working with Thandie, who is like the best person I could possibly do it with. You know, everyone’s just so supportive on set and you just got on with it. You just did it. I was taking my clothes off for the whole day, I don’t know, getting naked. Once it was done once, that was it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2018 6:47 AM

Be careful what you wish for. I mean, do we really need to see Eric Stonestreet naked?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 8:24 AM

The penis was circumscized. I thought it was fake because he is british.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 9:57 AM

pics?

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 10:27 AM

They didn’t ask the important question, real or prosthetic? Shame on the reporter.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 10:29 AM

A few British guys are cut, R2.

Eg. Alex Pettyfer revealed he is cut.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 10:29 AM

Yes, R2, the UK has no Jews or Christians who believe Jesus was cut so their child should be cut. None at all.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 10:31 AM

His character's last name is Sizemore. Was his size more?

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 10:37 AM

Maybe he’s a Jew?

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 10:38 AM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 10:43 AM

Thank you, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 10:44 AM

Sure, R5 but the practice has gone done to like 2% after the 70's. I had to find out myself so I googled it. But it was funny to me that had to investigate the legitimacy. HBO has been known to use false penis prosthetics.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 10:44 AM

Nice peen

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 10:47 AM

My guess is prosthetic because of the amount of bush. Otherwise they would have shaved it down like they do.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 10:48 AM

Wake me up when James M shows his peen in westworld . He has yet to show his naked butt on the show

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 10:54 AM

Listen to Simon, Ben Barnes.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 11:16 AM

Listen to Simon, Julian Morris.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 11:17 AM

Listen to Simon, Henry Cavill.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 12:14 PM

He said in an interview it’s all him. Not a prosthetic

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 12:18 PM

How about we bring back nude bathing and communal showers first. No point in actors sitting around wit their dick out while average movie goers retreat back into Victorian body shaming techniques.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 12:20 PM

[quote]Wake me up when James M shows his peen in westworld . He has yet to show his naked butt on the show

Hate to say it but he's looking quite rough now. I still love him and would absolutely like to see his dick in Westworld, even a prosthetic one. They missed a chance last year when they didn't make him have sex with a customer, and at the same time show he's got a huge dick.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 12:25 PM

r2: No, he is uncut. He has a large cock-head that the foreskin covers, but it cannot hide its flaring base. Look further down the shaft and the tip of the foreskin is about 1/2 over his cock-head. There is a circular shadow at the end of the foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 12:36 PM

I'm glad he acknowledges how the women in Westworld were constantly getting naked and the men were not.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2018 12:40 PM

It's so nice that cunts like r21 come to datalounge, retract their head-hiders, and piss all over everything enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2018 1:15 PM

I am NOT a cunt! I just like to make a thorough examination of photographic evidence, thats all!

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2018 1:52 PM

Some people take cut/uncut cocks VERY SERIOUSLY

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2018 1:59 PM

Communal showers were great. When I was growing up in high school and college there was nothing else. A very liberating experience and even the straight guys sometimes would joke around in the freedom of the whole thing. You got over the embarrassment of it real fast. Was able to avoid it in middle school but there was no escaping it in high school and I quickly like everyone else got comfortable. I never heard of one guy complaining about it. Of course then as well there were very few overweight guys. If you didn't have a good body you were just plain skinny.

But no it is not coming back ever. I've been in Ys now where a sign is up that says you must wear a towel in saunas and steam rooms and it says 'Be respectful of others.' And now it's all become single stalls.

This would have been absurd years ago. Like in Scandinavian countries the whole point is being naked. Even in college all the guys were naked in the sauna sitting on towels. At my current gym in sauna and steam they are all wearing their gym clothes and sneakers. Gee a full size petri dish. I think its disgusting sitting in filthy clothes in such a place. At a large family gym I went to towels aren't even allowed, the minimum is a bathing suit.

With all the open sexuality in our culture, TV, movies and the internet body shaming and sexualizing is here to stay in a way that it never existed before in most civilizations in the west and east in single sex environments for thousands of years.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2018 2:01 PM

OK. Without saying too much, I work in the industry and on projects that have occasional full frontal male nudity. I know many tricks of the trade, from prosthetics, fluffing, CG to remove cockrings, CG to add someone else's cock entirely, how warm the set is kept to fully distend the goods, etc. From the lighting to the camera angle, a lot of series or franchises that decide to include nudity take extreme care to make sure the talent sizzles on screen. These scenes can be some of the most painstaking and expensive to film.

Having said all that, I can also confidently assure you that that Westworld did NOT shoot that scene sympathetically for this actor. At ALL!! The harsh overhead lighting does not favor his body, and casts a strong highlight on how small his penis is. They did not have him trim his bush, so his dick looks proportionately even smaller. Uncircumcised men are often advised to retract the foreskin, and he clearly was not. It was also kept very cold on set, as is evidenced by how far his nuts are retracted. The camera is leveled squarely at the thickest part of his body (usually the camera is leveled at shoulder height and angled slightly down to give a thinning effect, they did the opposite here). Keying the scene toward green makes his skin tone look revolting.

I wonder who this actor pissed off?

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2018 2:58 PM

Good to know, R27. Whose penis has been your favorite to shoot? Or witness the shooting of?

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2018 3:01 PM

r27 Did you consider for a single second that the point of filming him like that is to contrast the (humiliated) naked human who was ordered to strip by the host, to all the naked hosts we saw in the first season? That perhaps it was a conscious creative choice to film him in an unflattering manner because this is a serious production where creatives choices come first, not some soap opera where the ass-licking actors order the director to shoot them through a gauze? Of course not. You just had to bust your nut with your insider knowledge at the first opportunity, even though it doesn't apply here [italic]at all.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2018 3:12 PM

It wasn't meant to be a sexy scene it, it was meant to have Thandie Newton's character try to claim the power and humiliate him.

Context is everything, nudity isn't automatically trying to be erotic.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2018 3:13 PM

r29 beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2018 3:14 PM

r29 and r30 = matching sacks of feminine cleansing product

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 3:15 PM

Are you 12 r32? We were giving the context of the scene for people who don't watch the show and explaining why it was probably shot that way. I'm sorry if that was too complex for you.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 3:21 PM

Res ipsa loquitor.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 3:26 PM

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 3:27 PM

I think R21 is right. He appears to be uncut.

R2 jumped the gun in assuming he was circumcised.

Glad he kept a natural bush.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 6:48 PM

[quote][R2] jumped the gun in assuming he was circumcised.

And couldn't even spell it.

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 6:53 PM

[quote]Listen to Simon, Julian Morris.

Julian Morris has shown his cock a couple times.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2018 7:18 PM

The first episode of second season was meh

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2018 6:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!