Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #301: "A Darker Voice Than Typical Meets Patti's Meltdown" Edition

The season is over this week - a few stragglers, high profile Harry Potter, low expectations Summer, The Iceman Cometh (does Denzel know his lines yet?), hottie Seth Numrich in Travesties.

And what of DL fave Patti Murin? Are there more mental health days in the offing? What about her hot husband?

Lauren Ambrose's darker voice - does she pull it off or not? There doesn't seem to be a consensus.

And stürm and drang over writing a musical! What's to be done?

by Anonymousreply 601April 30, 2018 1:56 PM

Where is everyone finding this audio clip of Lauren Ambrose singing "My fair Lady"?

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 12:30 AM

There aren't too many revivals. Performers need good material to shine and there's so precious little of that now.

by Anonymousreply 2April 23, 2018 12:32 AM

Carousel's choreographer Justin Peck profiled on CBS Sunday Morning today. Hot, sexy, cute . . . but he pinged to 7th heaven . . . yet the profile made sure we're aware he's married to a female.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2018 12:36 AM

The Lauren Ambrose clip is searchable on tumblr. It's interesting, because it's definitely a darker, or more covered, sound than Julie Andrews or Marni Nixon had. It sounds like a legit voice, though, until the ending - the high notes at the very end seem to be a bit of a stretch for her.

by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 12:36 AM

Is Ahrens and Flaherty's "Dessa Rose" a good musical?

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 12:37 AM

Peck certainly isn't attractive in that video. I didn't get a strong ping, unless we're talking on a geekometer. I hate that permanent head cold sound he has to his speaking voice. Can he fix that or is it all down to the schnoz?

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 12:49 AM

I would love to remind the datalounge panel that DL fave Robbie Fairchild’s wedding to Tiller was heavily featured in press including segments on Martha Stewart’s tv show and eveytime he speaks a sequined purse falls out of his mouth...so...

by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 12:53 AM

[quote]Is Ahrens and Flaherty's "Dessa Rose" a good musical?

In a word, no. A couple of passable moments and slivers of nice melodies here and there, but in the end, it doesn’t have much reason to exist.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 12:57 AM

Didn't know Stoppard is Czech.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 12:59 AM

Stoppard is a 'bounced Czech' -- his family fled when he was very young.

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2018 1:01 AM

Just caught Sutton’s sleep inducing cabaret act on PBS. Caterwauling aside, when did Jonathan Groff morph into Isaac Mizrahi?

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2018 1:02 AM

Jonathan Groff did look a little chubby, maybe it's for his Netflix show's 2nd season? I do think Jonathan and Sutton made a good musical theatre couple. They could star in a revival of My One and Only!

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2018 1:33 AM

Groff filmed that in December. He's prepping now for Mindhunter season 2. He's lost weight since then.

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2018 1:53 AM

I take it you've never seen Groff's father. There's fat in them thar genes.

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2018 1:56 AM

Oh please justin peck is so obviously feminine and gay. I don't care who he's married to.

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2018 2:11 AM

[quote]In a word, no. A couple of passable moments and slivers of nice melodies here and there, but in the end, it doesn’t have much reason to exist.

Grrrrrrrr!

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2018 2:51 AM

Ambrose is just a very amateurish soprano sound. You’d hear better in any regional production. Not sure why Sher wanted her or why she agreed to do it. She’s a terrific actress, but as a singer in one of the great Broadway soprano roles, she just doesn’t pass muster. It sounds like what it is, a weak, barely trained voice. She did train legitimately in high school and somewhat in college, but that was 25 years ago. She’s going to have a very difficult time sustaining. I would imagine some serious vocal problems are ok the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 17April 23, 2018 3:11 AM

Groff is thick, not fat. He and Sutton would most certainly make a wonderful theatre couple, but Lea Michele would burn down a theater before she let any other woman have that role.

by Anonymousreply 18April 23, 2018 3:27 AM

Mr. and Mrs. Justin Peck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 3:27 AM

Oops, make that engaged . . . not married yet.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 3:31 AM

Oh, engaged? Well, I guess her shame and humiliation will be only half what mine was.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 4:04 AM

Go ahead and put on those pounds, Tiler honey. You were never a great dancing talent anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2018 5:01 AM

Justin Peck ass has been up more times than the stock market, guuuuurl please! PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2018 5:36 AM

I am straight, bitches!

The thought of taking another man’s penis in my mouth and caressing it with my lips and tongue is disgusting!

And don’t even get me started on the vile feeling of a thick dick sliding my your ass and hitting my pleasure spot! Gross!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2018 6:08 AM

Yes, Justin Peck pings. However, his work is good, not great. It feels very European, circa 1990. The clips from Carousel looked outstanding, though. I liked it more than some people but those clips would have made me buy tickets.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2018 9:37 AM

Jonathan groff is NOT fat! He's thicc! And it takes a really long time to create a new musical. Like really long. I mean look at "mean girls". Can you imagine if they rushed that process? Or Hamilton? Those shows would be crap! Creating a new musical is one of the hardest things you could do in life. You guys have no idea. You're making yourselves sound stupid. Like, literally. Justin peck is most certainly straight. Sutton foster is such an amazing once in a lifetime talent. So captivating. Calling someone a gypsy is extremely offensive. Like extremely. One of the worst names you could call someone. The name must be changed. The lochness monster is real, so is santa clause and if you aren't circumcised then you have a higher chance of getting aids and stds also. Look around! Look around! Isn't it great to be alive right now? Are those the stupid lyrics? Haha. Do you hear how crazy this all sounds? Ok? Good.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2018 9:55 AM

Oh, let's end this now. Groff is not fat; he is not thick. He's husky!

by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2018 10:34 AM

Jon husky. I like that.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2018 10:43 AM

Husky is the new Gypsy!

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2018 11:53 AM

Surprised there aren't more rumors about Sher and Ambrose given his level of commitment to her as a musical theater star not one but twice

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2018 12:18 PM

So Rebecca Kim Jordan is the precious cunt, aided by the spastic with purpose henchwoman Jen Cody, that started the Gypsy Robe fiasco. Jordan is an imperious bitch who is hands off when it comes to real matters, she’s an aging SJW who loves her title and perks, that bitch ruins EVERYTHING she meddles with!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2018 12:31 PM

It used to be that dancers/musical actors would have a girl on their arm at openings and award shows, but wouldn’t beard in their private life. Now even chorus boys, dancers, musical stars and stage actors have to be “straight” to get work.

Still in 2018, the “out” ratio is relatively small given the total number of guys in the field.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 1:14 PM

Well like I always say, there’s nothing like a good woman by your side to make a man feel invincible!

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 1:22 PM

R29 LMFAO!!

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 1:26 PM

R27 I love you.

Will you marry me?

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 1:26 PM

Lauren Amborse has an awesome voice.

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 1:27 PM

Meh Fair Lady

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 1:34 PM

R18 Well now that Groff has a new boyfriend, Lea may finally have to take a back seat. She will have to move over for the self-proclaimed innovative and talented Corey Baker, who has persevered through untold hardship, and a bad marriage, to become the next great choreographer of our lifetime!

!!!

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2018 1:38 PM

Pictures of the adorable couple taken yesterday during the release of Corey's new groundbreaking, environmentally conscious film - Dancing in Antarctica, or whatever it is called.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2018 1:48 PM

R39 Groff does look...um....thicker than Corey. But then so does his bulge.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2018 1:54 PM

Good lord: post-screening discussion of the new Terrence McNally documentary with McNally, Joe Mantello, F. Murray Abraham, and Nathan Lane. Can you imagine all those CUNTS in one room! Was Patti LuPone busy?

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2018 2:00 PM

Why is Hello, Dolly closing?

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2018 2:04 PM

Good questions, R42. You would think they could stunt cast that show so it will run a few years. Does someone need the theater?

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2018 2:16 PM

It is a very expensive show to run

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2018 2:21 PM

Jonathan Groff has those Amish genes.

by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2018 2:24 PM

Mennonite, not Amish.

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2018 2:25 PM

Regardless, his genes are full of beef marrow and buttermilk

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2018 2:28 PM

[quote]Mennonite, not Amish.

They're the same. It's just that the Mennonites got tired of wearing black and white and decided that God would allow them to wear purple and brown. And the Mennonites believe that they don't have to paint their bumpers black on their vehicles.

Otherwise, they are the same genetically.

by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2018 2:32 PM

R42 The reason Dolly is closing is it's a terribly dated show. The only reason to see it is of there's a mega star in it, like Bette Midler. Otherwise, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2018 2:33 PM

Whatever happened to Lea Michele?

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2018 2:33 PM

[quote]Whatever happened to Lea Michele?

She's not winning awards for Dreamgirls in London, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

I though Bernie was packing them in. No?

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

I’m touring with Darren Cris in a summer blockbuster musical sensation tour. Tickets are hard to come by, my fans tell me!

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2018 2:38 PM

R26, the word is spelled "thick." Stop your assault on the English language at once.

by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2018 2:40 PM

If you're touring with Darren, you might want to learn to spell his name.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2018 2:41 PM

Oh, balderdash, R55.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2018 2:48 PM

And the Tweeter at R39 needs to learn how to spell Jonathan.

by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2018 3:01 PM

This thread is now reduced to pedants arguing about spelling

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2018 3:08 PM

[quote]Ambrose is just a very amateurish soprano sound. You’d hear better in any regional production. Not sure why Sher wanted her or why she agreed to do it. She’s a terrific actress, but as a singer in one of the great Broadway soprano roles, she just doesn’t pass muster. It sounds like what it is, a weak, barely trained voice. She did train legitimately in high school and somewhat in college, but that was 25 years ago. She’s going to have a very difficult time sustaining. I would imagine some serious vocal problems are ok the horizon.

And your expertise in this is, what exactly?

by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2018 3:08 PM

A Juilliard trained classical singer performing in major international opera and concert houses, but thanks for playing R59. I’ve worked with minor league z list soubrettes in college that could sing her off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2018 3:28 PM

And I’d like to reiterate I think she’s an amazing actress. Her Claire in SFU was brilliant, as was her Juliet in the Park. She has a beautiful transparent quality about her that works really well on the small screen. She’s underused in film and TV. She needs an excellent series on Hulu or Netflix. But as a legit warhorse musical singer? No. I doubt that her Fanny would have been much better. She should be working, just not in Broadway musical theater. I think she’s unfortunately not really in a position to say no, and Sher for some reason was up her ass, so why wouldn’t she do it? I would be very surprised if she takes the Tony.

I hate to say it, but Benanti would have been better. Much better. Maybe she’ll replace.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2018 3:39 PM

[quote]I hate to say it, but Benanti would have been better. Much better. Maybe she’ll replace

Benanti is starting to show her age. Technically, Eliza should be 20s-early 30s. Benanti isn't looking ingénue anymore.

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2018 3:47 PM

Sher directed the production with an older woman in mind. Ambrose is post forty. She and Benanti are close in age. He wanted Higgins and Eliza to be close in age as well. It would not be out of character in this production.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2018 3:49 PM

Benanti is actually two years younger than Ambrose, she’s 38, Lauren is 40.

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2018 3:50 PM

[quote]A Juilliard trained classical singer performing in major international opera and concert houses, but thanks for playing

"Thanks for playing" gives you away as the dilettante you no doubt are, R60.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2018 3:50 PM

Lol, whatever R65. Neither my self worth not my career are determined by a DL troll. I know it’s difficult for failures to accept that there are successes in the world and on this board.

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2018 3:53 PM

There is no singer who could sing both Fanny and Eliza well. They require totally different types of voices.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2018 3:54 PM

R54 that whole post is a joke. These days us younger people spell thick like thicc for slang and fun. Relax grandpa. I was making fun. But you wouldn't know that. Haha. I know how to spell.

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2018 3:58 PM

Oh I think Yma could have successfully done both, r67. I can see her also throwing in some late night sets at Les Mouches.

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2018 4:00 PM

Ruthie Henshall could have sung both in the 90s.

I'm less familiar with Judy Kuhn but she's known for both styles, right?

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2018 4:18 PM

R68, you are a condescending twit, and ironic misspellings are neither smart nor clever. And I'm 34. The only I could be a grandpa is if I had a son at 17 who had a son this year. That would require me to have had sex with a woman. Not happening.

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2018 4:22 PM

^^^get young! ❤

by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2018 4:41 PM

You mean slavishly follow every stupid trend that comes down the pipe? No thank you!

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2018 4:46 PM

I really don’t think Laura Benanti is going to replace. She campaigned for the role, I doubt she would sign on for sloppy seconds.

Whoopi Goldberg, on the other hand, would do it.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2018 4:50 PM

34 going on 80.

by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2018 4:50 PM

Didn't Barbara Cook star in Funny Girl in stock or something? I can't imagine how that went. Add me to the list of people surprised by Ambrose's voice. I think it's lovely and fits the score well. I'd heard her sing on YouTube videos and on Six Feet Under, but it always seemed like she'd be more of a belter. I figured that, despite the fact that she doesn't look or sound Jewish at all, her voice would have been a better fit for that proposed Funny Girl revival.

by Anonymousreply 76April 23, 2018 4:52 PM

I love Judy Kuhn!

by Anonymousreply 77April 23, 2018 4:52 PM

Benanti is too hard for Eliza, as she was for Amalia.

by Anonymousreply 78April 23, 2018 4:52 PM

Stormy Daniels *IS* Eliza Doolittle

by Anonymousreply 79April 23, 2018 4:53 PM

Benanti would've made Martine McCutcheon's attendance record seem superb in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 80April 23, 2018 4:53 PM

In all seriousness, Sarah Huckabee Sanders would make a great Colonel Pickering.

by Anonymousreply 81April 23, 2018 4:54 PM

Did someone say Colonel Sanders?

by Anonymousreply 82April 23, 2018 4:56 PM

Chenoweth could sing both roles. Whether she could get away with the dialect and dialogue is a legitimate question. She has never really tried to disappear into a role before and probably never really will so we really don't know if she is capable of playing against the type she has pursued for herself. She did say Eliza Doolittle is a character she really wanted to play at one point.

by Anonymousreply 83April 23, 2018 5:05 PM

Now she's almost old enough to be Mrs. Pearce!

by Anonymousreply 84April 23, 2018 5:07 PM

My God. Look at dem feets in R19

by Anonymousreply 85April 23, 2018 5:27 PM

R27 He is a bit husky next to his bae, who has an unfortunate horsey jawline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 23, 2018 5:35 PM

Lulu for Eliza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 23, 2018 5:40 PM

We're all just a bunch of.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88April 23, 2018 5:41 PM

These threads are filling up with juvenilia, thanks in no small part to r68. Run along, dear, but do come back when you're ready to chat with the adults.

by Anonymousreply 89April 23, 2018 5:43 PM

Horsey jawline makes no sense. Horsey face means long face, long thin nose etc. Horse toothed is self explanatory. No human has a jawline reminiscent of a horse.

by Anonymousreply 90April 23, 2018 5:46 PM

Yeah, that's right R68, only come back when you're mature enough to say things like "come back when you're ready to chat with the adults".

Some of you got way too upset over the fact you didn't know what "thicc" meant.

by Anonymousreply 91April 23, 2018 5:50 PM

R86 Agree. A horse by any other name...

Who is this talent-less hack who has stolen the heart of the most eligible bachelor around? That dance film he made was God awful.

by Anonymousreply 92April 23, 2018 5:50 PM

I know, I know, r90.

by Anonymousreply 93April 23, 2018 5:50 PM

Brünnhilde as Eliza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94April 23, 2018 5:50 PM

Gays in the industry NYC and LA are in tears and ripping out their hair because their beloved Groff is off the market.

by Anonymousreply 95April 23, 2018 5:52 PM

Oh no, is that really Groff’s bf? I thought he’d be getting some prime Pittsburgh tail considering he’s there six months a year for his Netflix show.

by Anonymousreply 96April 23, 2018 6:02 PM

R89 i prefer "dearie". Run long DEARIE. Or even "song long dearie, come back when you're ready to chat with the adults". We are on the theatre thread after all. 🤓

by Anonymousreply 97April 23, 2018 6:03 PM

"Song long"? You're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 98April 23, 2018 6:05 PM

What are the stupid lyrics? So long? Oopsies! Haha.

by Anonymousreply 99April 23, 2018 6:08 PM

R96 Why not both. No need to be exclusive. But still have the comfort of a boyfriend who is only a video chat away.

Really it is a perfect situation for them both, no? Romance, mixed with a lot of hookups on the side.

by Anonymousreply 100April 23, 2018 6:09 PM

[quote]I thought he’d be getting some prime Pittsburgh tail considering he’s there six months a year for his Netflix show.

Too close to the relatives. Nobody wants to have sex with their cousin.

by Anonymousreply 101April 23, 2018 6:10 PM

How dreary is this year's Tony Awards broadcast going to be?

by Anonymousreply 102April 23, 2018 6:13 PM

"Oopsies!"

THERE'S your name for the terpsichore garment under contention: The Oopsie Robe.

by Anonymousreply 103April 23, 2018 6:14 PM

R101 Then Jon has already crossed that road.

Spent 10 months in Pittsburgh last year.

by Anonymousreply 104April 23, 2018 6:17 PM

Sierra Boggess has announced on FB that she has pulled out from singing at a West Side Story concert in London this summer. I assume she was singing the role of Maria. Good for her. But what does she think of the gypsy robe controversy?

by Anonymousreply 105April 23, 2018 6:33 PM

Again, the hypocrisy of it all. If it 's perfectly fine for a thoroughly miscast Brian Stokes Mitchell to essay Emile De Becque because "it's only a concert," then why shouldn't the same apply to Boggess playing Maria?

by Anonymousreply 106April 23, 2018 6:39 PM

I have it on good authority the next Eliza is Daphne Rubin Vega.

by Anonymousreply 107April 23, 2018 6:42 PM

Does the "Robbie and Ashley have broken up" troll know that Robbie just posted a photo of himself in London holding Ashley's dog on his lap?

by Anonymousreply 108April 23, 2018 6:46 PM

*dong

by Anonymousreply 109April 23, 2018 6:49 PM

Does the Robbie and Ashley are happily together troll know that Ashley blocked Robbie on Instagram? They unfollowed each other and Ashley deleted his likes on Robbie’s page.

by Anonymousreply 110April 23, 2018 6:59 PM

Last story was that Robbie had done all that to Ashley bar the blocking. I don't have an IG account to check up on these claims and I don't care to join.

Leak each other's nudes, Jerrys!

by Anonymousreply 111April 23, 2018 7:04 PM

[quote]Nobody wants to have sex with their cousin.

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 112April 23, 2018 7:16 PM

R112 EXACTLY cause my super hot rican/colombian cousin with the big 10 inch dick can get it with a quickness. Oh yes. It's like that.🔥🔥🔥

by Anonymousreply 113April 23, 2018 7:19 PM

They are the typical millennial gay couple. Post tons of pics and love hearts and comments. In a rash breakup/fight, block each other then delete every trace of romance.

Then wash, repeat, wash, repeat.

Honestly, Ashley Day could do so much better than Robbie. He could get a hot London guy, not sure why he puts up with Robbie’s whims and neuroses.

by Anonymousreply 114April 23, 2018 7:31 PM

I have an idea: How about a new group called Theatre Gossip: Millennial Edition ... and the adults, who care (and know) about theater history before Wicked, can continue here - proper spelling and all.

by Anonymousreply 115April 23, 2018 7:57 PM

God, I find it so hard to believe (and yes, I know we've all been down this road a hundred times) that Benanti still isn't forty.

by Anonymousreply 116April 23, 2018 8:02 PM

When does Andy Randells start rehearsals for MFL and taking over for Norbert Leon Butts? Do we think he’ll be off script by the time he’s in performance? Any one else think he reads to young to be casted in this role?

by Anonymousreply 117April 23, 2018 8:05 PM

Begone, child.

by Anonymousreply 118April 23, 2018 8:09 PM

I heard Andy was going in to MFL after his stint in HD taking over from Santino, but before Gavin returns. Also he’s not going in to HD until BitB is over.

by Anonymousreply 119April 23, 2018 8:13 PM

[quote]Any one else think he reads to young to be casted in this role?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 120April 23, 2018 8:47 PM

[quote]The reason Dolly is closing is it's a terribly dated show

Bullshit. That certainly wasn't the opinion of the reviews, or of most of the people who saw it. The cheers for the show as a beautifully crafted work of art were as loud as the cheers for Bette and Bernadette.

by Anonymousreply 121April 23, 2018 11:09 PM

Why are you so obsessed, r110/ r114? Hardly a day goes by that you don't need to bring them up. And of course, you have no knowledge at all of them blocking/breaking up. It's all the supposition of your fevered and diseased mind. They each have thousands (Robbie almost 30k) followers on IG - and they're not listed alphabetically. So you go through all those names to see if they're each still listed?

You're warped.

by Anonymousreply 122April 23, 2018 11:13 PM

They are probably using the Dolly sets for the tour. The train alone was beautiful. That's the reason Disney closed "Newsies" they didn't want to build another million dollar set that was designed for the tour anyway.

by Anonymousreply 123April 23, 2018 11:15 PM

R123 you probably hit the bullseye, there was a healthy enthusiasm for the show to continue on, and a number of ladies ready, and inquiring about the potential, but the road is cheaper, especially with our dear Betty Lynn happy to perform for a reduced fee...

by Anonymousreply 124April 24, 2018 12:53 AM

Lauren Ambrose has a thicc and husky voice!

by Anonymousreply 125April 24, 2018 1:55 AM

r41: Sounds like a total circle-jerk (with Tom Kirdahy as the ringmaster).

by Anonymousreply 126April 24, 2018 2:13 AM

The reason Dolly is closing has to do with Rudin being a pompous, entitled asshole.

by Anonymousreply 127April 24, 2018 2:54 AM

Yep R127, he wants it to be a short but legendary revival, NOT a long run that will trickle to a close, Bette will end it with a bang, he’s actually the biggest CUNT on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 128April 24, 2018 3:44 AM

If you think the Robbie & Ashley trolls are bad, DL has SEVENTEEN threads about Jonathan Groff, and the last two have been filled with eldergays stalking/attacking his new twink boyfriend with the horse teeth.

by Anonymousreply 129April 24, 2018 4:13 AM

I wonder who has the bigger dick, Jonathan Groff, Robbie Fairchild, or Ashley Day?

Max Von Essen probably has an inkling.

by Anonymousreply 130April 24, 2018 4:31 AM

[quote]I wonder who has the bigger dick, Jonathan Groff, Robbie Fairchild, or Ashley Day?

BIGGEST, not bigger.

by Anonymousreply 131April 24, 2018 4:49 AM

It’s DEF Robbie, JG is a “thicc” 6.5 and Ashley is in Max territory, we frequent certain gyms, you know, they ain’t in Norm Lewisville!

by Anonymousreply 132April 24, 2018 4:50 AM

We've all seen Groff's dick and it ain't thick, honey.

by Anonymousreply 133April 24, 2018 4:57 AM

R133 I KNOW gurl, was joking because of the earlier comments, she’s got a reasonable unit, nothing special, just like Sutton!

by Anonymousreply 134April 24, 2018 5:01 AM

ROCKTOPIA!

by Anonymousreply 135April 24, 2018 5:31 AM

“She,” r134? I’m reference to Jonathan Groff?

Could you be any more obnoxious?

by Anonymousreply 136April 24, 2018 5:50 AM

Anyone see the McNally doc? How is it?

by Anonymousreply 137April 24, 2018 6:03 AM

R136 Foreign frau?

by Anonymousreply 138April 24, 2018 6:03 AM

No, not a frau at all, r138, just someone who finds you tiresome and not amusing. I’d wager that we who do are legion,

by Anonymousreply 139April 24, 2018 6:09 AM

R139 I am not R133, I just assumed your were some fucked up frau, but you're a fucking fangirl EEEEEEEK

by Anonymousreply 140April 24, 2018 6:27 AM

Damn terrible reviews for Donna summer musical

Nice try dodgers suck it

by Anonymousreply 141April 24, 2018 6:44 AM

[quote] Damn terrible reviews for Donna summer musical

Good. Maybe Cher will pack up and head to Vegas before she even lands.

by Anonymousreply 142April 24, 2018 6:55 AM

R141, don’t count your chickens. BLACK JERSEY BOYS is coming in from Berkeley, and will put them securely back on top, where they BELONG.

by Anonymousreply 143April 24, 2018 7:18 AM

Are BLACK JERSEY BOYS going to do Four Seasons' music? Wouldn't they do...IDK...the Parliaments, George Clinton, Eddie Hazel?

by Anonymousreply 144April 24, 2018 9:14 AM

r144 And Funkadelic. That's what I was trying to think of, Funkadelic.

by Anonymousreply 145April 24, 2018 9:20 AM

The Niles Rogers Story

by Anonymousreply 146April 24, 2018 10:37 AM

[QUOTE]last two have been filled with eldergays

I doubt there's anyone with a penis in those threads.

by Anonymousreply 147April 24, 2018 11:10 AM

So which new show will take the Shubert in the fall?

by Anonymousreply 148April 24, 2018 1:18 PM

R148, Hazel, starring the incandescent Klea Blackhurst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 24, 2018 2:00 PM

[quote]BLACK JERSEY BOYS is coming in from Berkeley

Brought to you by Starbucks.

by Anonymousreply 150April 24, 2018 2:44 PM

[quote]The Niles Rogers Story

Double "oh, dear."

by Anonymousreply 151April 24, 2018 2:45 PM

Incredible as it seems, Klea Blackhurst is now even fatter than she was when she did "Hazel."

by Anonymousreply 152April 24, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote]If you think the Robbie & Ashley trolls are bad, DL has SEVENTEEN threads about Jonathan Groff, and the last two have been filled with eldergays stalking/attacking his new twink boyfriend with the horse teeth.

Filled with Groff fanfraus direct from tumblr

by Anonymousreply 153April 24, 2018 2:58 PM

Actually, "Ain't too Proud" is quite good, especially for a jukebox musical. They must be planning on holding it until next Spring, since the real star of the show is Jeremy Pope, and he's been announced for Choir Boy at MTC, starting in late December. I don't think he'd give up a musical where his is the standout performance. Unless Serge and Jack have been hitting on black sugar.

by Anonymousreply 154April 24, 2018 2:59 PM

Head Over Heels has gotten mixed reviews in SF, the city with no artistic taste. All of the reviews seem to think it has a future.

by Anonymousreply 155April 24, 2018 3:02 PM

That was a rather scathing review of Summer in the Times. Has anyone seen it? It sounds better-suited for a cruise ship than a Broadway stage. The book sounds lazy a f.

by Anonymousreply 156April 24, 2018 3:12 PM

Most of the reviews of "Summer" were scathing.

by Anonymousreply 157April 24, 2018 3:36 PM

Summer will be gone before the official start of....uhh

by Anonymousreply 158April 24, 2018 4:24 PM

Adam & Steve's revenge...

by Anonymousreply 159April 24, 2018 5:07 PM

So they cast a black actress as Ann Darrow in King Kong. Doesn't that ruin the whole story ? Kong is offered the native girls all the time but becomes infatuated with a type he has never seen before. If she looks just like every other one he has seen, what's the attraction, her personality?

by Anonymousreply 160April 24, 2018 5:09 PM

The natives in King Kong are black? I've never seen the movie(s). Wiki says the fictional Skull Island is supposed to be located near Indonesia.

by Anonymousreply 161April 24, 2018 5:14 PM

Thank you to r160 for a post that made me laugh (it's been a slow laugh day).

by Anonymousreply 162April 24, 2018 5:20 PM

Unless they change the story, why would the natives go through all the trouble of trying to buy and then eventually kidnap Ann if she's not white?

by Anonymousreply 163April 24, 2018 5:29 PM

We're gettin Ain't Too Proud t the Ahmanson in August to make up for the hole in the schedule left by Crazy For You. This season has been a bust (Red Shoes was a disappointment, I left Bright Star at intermission and never made it to Something Rotten), and Soft Power is next, which I'll probably skip. So The Humans and Ain't Too Proud to Beg are gonna have to rally to save it.

by Anonymousreply 164April 24, 2018 6:23 PM

The Humans is a ludicrously overhyped and over-awarded mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 165April 24, 2018 7:13 PM

R164, was that the Bourne Red Shoes?

by Anonymousreply 166April 24, 2018 7:20 PM

Yes R76 Barbara did do Funny Girl out in Westbury in the round. with George Hamilton. Late 1968-9 or so? I forget. Saw it. Cook had no Jewishness, just did the show as any young white girl would. She was tiny, Hamilton seemed more-so. FG is not a show for the round. The show had no magic to it, but ooh was in lovely voice. At the time it was just a quick in/out, a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 167April 24, 2018 8:07 PM

The "us younger people" poster seems such a big sissy. I imagine him a skinny swishy blond, hands often on hips as he takes a stand against all the hurt the "straight" gays inflict on him.

Oh -- no one uses "thicc". That's just typing, when cornered, to make a spelling error or a typo seem intentional.

by Anonymousreply 168April 24, 2018 8:08 PM

Oh darling R49 have you any idea of theater? Good God, you think Dolly is a terribly dated show?. By such specious thinking all shows are. Every "classic" is.

by Anonymousreply 169April 24, 2018 8:09 PM

What does Santino look like naked? Anyone know? What does he wear backstage?

by Anonymousreply 170April 24, 2018 8:11 PM

Of course nobody uses "thicc." And if they do, they're adolescent or just post-, not somebody you want to emulate. next he'll be writing "squee."

by Anonymousreply 171April 24, 2018 8:12 PM

[QUOTE]seems such a big sissy

I've never understood the homophobia on this site in general, but really, calling someone a sissy in a theatre thread? Projecting much?

[QUOTE]no one uses "thicc". That's just typing, when cornered, to make a spelling error or a typo seem intentional.

That's almost painfully out of touch. Do feel free to Google it and see just how stupid you are.

[QUOTE]And if they do, they're adolescent or just post-, not somebody you want to emulate

But somebody you want to fuck and yet constantly get rejected by, judging by your saltiness.

by Anonymousreply 172April 24, 2018 8:14 PM

[quote] [R164], was that the Bourne Red Shoes?

yes, it was. And it was the reason I renewed my subscription because I wanted to get a good ticket for it, and subscribers were being offered prime seats. I'm a big Bourne fan, but this one just didn't work for me. Not sorry I saw it, of course, but I found it disappointing and slapped together.

by Anonymousreply 173April 24, 2018 8:18 PM

Google it yourself, darling. I believe the original tween poster mis-used the word "thicc."

by Anonymousreply 174April 24, 2018 8:23 PM

R173, I am very sorry to hear that. What little is available on Youtube looks really interesting. I would have liked to have seen it, but I live in beyond rural NH.

by Anonymousreply 175April 24, 2018 8:35 PM

I know everyone here knows this, but can I just say: the commercial theater has really changed radically in the last 6 or 7 years.

It really saddens me.

by Anonymousreply 176April 24, 2018 8:57 PM

Economics, terrible cookie cutter college theater programs, internet hyperbole, the church of Sutton and Telsey + Company destroyed Broadway. Right now this season, at least musical related, is the industry equivalent of 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 177April 24, 2018 9:13 PM

The Raul Company or the NPH Company?

by Anonymousreply 178April 24, 2018 9:15 PM

The original Dean Jones is still the one to beat.

by Anonymousreply 179April 24, 2018 9:21 PM

[quote] I know everyone here knows this, but can I just say: the commercial theater has really changed radically in the last 6 or 7 years. It really saddens me.

Oh please, it happens all the time. Big show comes to town, Phantom, Les Miz, RENT, Hamilton, that sucks the oxygen out of Times Square. That's the show everyone wants to see and can't and junk comes in to try and entertain the disappointed masses. For every "Summer" you have first class shows like "My Fair Lady" and "Three Tall Women" filling theatres.

by Anonymousreply 180April 24, 2018 9:26 PM

But R180, those are revivals.

Of the new shows... Heaven help us.

And yes, Harry Potter, I'm looking at your over-long, WAY over-rated self. And that's considered the best of the bunch, along with BAND'S VISIT, which I did like and admire more than love.

by Anonymousreply 181April 24, 2018 9:35 PM

Speaking of a great theater season, "SpongeBob SquarePants" leads the Outer Critics Circle nominations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 24, 2018 9:57 PM

It's dreadful, every last bit of it, r176. The trite plays, the banal musicals, the revivals-out-of-desperation...everything pitched to infants with ADD.

by Anonymousreply 183April 24, 2018 10:08 PM

r182 Lots of noms for "Mean Girls" but not for the score. Might not be a pleasant night in the Fey house.

by Anonymousreply 184April 24, 2018 10:10 PM

I saw Mean Girls in DC. It wasn't much, but the score was affirmatively awful. A nomination would have been a travesty. Not that we haven't seen travesties....

by Anonymousreply 185April 24, 2018 10:11 PM

R178, dear, do educate yourself, Telsey + Company is the top casting agency in legit theater and does a huge amount of tv and film. They do it horribly, but they do it all.

by Anonymousreply 186April 24, 2018 11:25 PM

Oh, dear. I thought r178 was making a bad joke.

by Anonymousreply 187April 24, 2018 11:33 PM

Look for negative press start to envelop The Bands Visit... those Mean Girls want that Tony Award, even if it means bringing up a decades old story about Yazbek's agent having a Me Too issue with an assistant before he was fired from William Morris Agency!

by Anonymousreply 188April 24, 2018 11:50 PM

What on earth would a MeToo issue from Yazbeck's agent have to do with the Tonys? Yazbeck's the one who would be nominated, not his agent. Plus, the Mean Girls crew would have to be delusional to think they could take the Tony away from The Band's Visit. The reviews for Mean Girls were unexceptional, and especially not for the music. It's a fun night at the theatre, sort of, but not in the same league with "Hairspray," and definitely not in the same league as "The Band's Visit."

by Anonymousreply 189April 25, 2018 1:08 AM

Not saying its logical- tony fights are ugly, and look for this one to get ugly

by Anonymousreply 190April 25, 2018 1:12 AM

What are some notoriously ugly Tony fights of years past? I know about perhaps the most notorious one between Nine and Dreamgirls, but what else?

Not exactly the same thing, but I remember when I was in high school being kind of shocked by a CBS ad for the Tonys the week prior in which the announcer said "tune in to see who wins Best Musical -- will it be Ragtime or The Lion King?" I mean, of course, we knew it was down to those two, but seemed kind of crass for the official broadcaster to do that.

by Anonymousreply 191April 25, 2018 1:24 AM

Tony fights are ugly when the playing field is even, or somewhat close. There's no "even" between Mean Girls, a middling show that got so-so reviews and was particularly dunned for its awful songs, and "The Band's Visit," which got near-universal raves and much applause for its score.

A case - but not a strong one - could be made that Lauren Ambrose might take the Tony away from Katrina Lenk, but that's about it. For something to win over critical darling "The Band's Visit," it would have to be a super-hot ticket (money often trumps art), but that's not the case with Mean Girls.

by Anonymousreply 192April 25, 2018 4:05 AM

I don’t need their good opinions I have plenty of opinions Everybody has opinions but it doesn’t make them true What’s true is being me And I’d rather be me I’d rather be me than be with you.

by Anonymousreply 193April 25, 2018 4:35 AM

Tina Fey is actually a bit of a bitch and will be campaigning like a manic, she’s insufferable. It’s fitting the show is such a dud.

by Anonymousreply 194April 25, 2018 4:53 AM

I'm sure it will distress the weirdo Fairchild-Ashley Day Troll to know that Ashley tweeted something today about having a few days off for a break, and the first person to like it was Robbie Fairchild.

by Anonymousreply 195April 25, 2018 8:01 AM

Avenue Q winning the Tony over Wicked was the biggest upset ever. Las Vegas' economy still hasn't recovered.

by Anonymousreply 196April 25, 2018 11:20 AM

R196, What about Two Gentlemen of Verona winning over FOLLIES in 1972?

by Anonymousreply 197April 25, 2018 11:58 AM

Saw Frozen last night. Exactly what you would expect, nothing more nothing less. Cassie Levy was out. My God, this show just opened and they are already calling out. Isn't this Tony voter time ? As much as I dislike her, I have to admit that Patti Murin was actually very good as Anna.

by Anonymousreply 198April 25, 2018 12:13 PM

[QUOTE]I'm sure it will distress the weirdo Fairchild-Ashley Day Troll

Given you're both following and posting tedious minutiae from their social media, that rather makes you the "weirdo Fairchild-Ashley Day Troll".

by Anonymousreply 199April 25, 2018 12:29 PM

Considering that one is the Poppins Loon, it would not be surprising to me if the other one was also him, talking to himself.

He’s also the “thicc” person.

by Anonymousreply 200April 25, 2018 1:45 PM

Wait, the Poppins Loon is the Anti-Fairchild Loon? You mean Matt?

by Anonymousreply 201April 25, 2018 1:50 PM

Stop! It’s like Beetlejuice. If you say his name in three posts in a row he’ll appear.

by Anonymousreply 202April 25, 2018 1:56 PM

Patti Murin didn’t do anything that five hundred other girls her type couldn’t do better R198.

by Anonymousreply 203April 25, 2018 1:58 PM

Ashley also posted on Instagram that it was once again just him and his dog, Ralph (the dog Robbie pictured himself with a few days ago). Robbie has left London. And yes, the anti-Poppins loon and the "Robbie and Ashley have broken up" loon are one and the same.

by Anonymousreply 204April 25, 2018 2:15 PM

Agreed R203, there is something “off” about Murin’s entire performance, nothing is wonderful, she’s serviceable but doesn’t wow you, same thing with overall production. Maybe the show is too much for Murin to handle? Odd.

by Anonymousreply 205April 25, 2018 2:17 PM

The “off” you’re reading is she’s certifiable, R205.

by Anonymousreply 206April 25, 2018 3:21 PM

Is this Ashley a girl or a guy? Who is she?

by Anonymousreply 207April 25, 2018 3:29 PM

You know very well who HE is, r207. Stop trying to be cute.

by Anonymousreply 208April 25, 2018 4:10 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if Tom Hollander won Best Actor In A Play? It's going to be a tough race between Nathan and Seth Numrich.

by Anonymousreply 209April 25, 2018 4:16 PM

I haven't even seen Tom Hollander and I already know he's better than Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 210April 25, 2018 4:53 PM

The Public Theatre will be doing Conor Mcpherson's "The Girl From North Country" next season, directed by Conor. Do you think Oskar will allow the London cast to come over, or will the cast be from here? Auditions are currently happening.

by Anonymousreply 211April 25, 2018 4:57 PM

R211,

Considering that the show is set in the USA, doesn't make a lot of sense for that cast to come over. Then again, look at ANGELS IN AMERICA!

I will say that the GIRL FROM NORTH COUNTRY cast was exceptional. Two of those ladies won Oliviers, I think.

by Anonymousreply 212April 25, 2018 5:00 PM

Iceman Cometh is like a tree in a forest- No one is talking about it

by Anonymousreply 213April 25, 2018 5:13 PM

[quote]Do you think Oskar will allow the London cast to come over, or will the cast be from here? Auditions are currently happening.

Didn't you just answer your own question?

by Anonymousreply 214April 25, 2018 5:31 PM

[quote]The Public Theatre will be doing Conor Mcpherson's "The Girl From North Country" next season, directed by Conor. Do you think Oskar will allow the London cast to come over, or will the cast be from here? Auditions are currently happening.

I think I'm going to look at the movie version for Mamie and I. Or should it be Grace and I?

by Anonymousreply 215April 25, 2018 6:01 PM

This year's Tony broadcast seems so dull in advance. Maybe Rudin will let Midler and the waiters do the title number from Hello, Dolly! this year as a way to gin up sales for her returning for the last six weeks.

by Anonymousreply 216April 25, 2018 6:44 PM

Why should they do that r216? That's the show's orgasm; people pay their big bucks largely to witness the climax live. A TV version would just dilute the thrills.

by Anonymousreply 217April 25, 2018 10:22 PM

The London cast for Girl from the North Country was brilliant, esp. the 2 Olivier winners Shirley Henderson and Sheila Atim.

What the show needs desperately is NOT the playwright directing it. There's no sense of time or place (1930s Minnesota).

by Anonymousreply 218April 25, 2018 10:35 PM

I hope Seth Numrich beats Nathan. It’s so selfish and greedy to put a leading role into a supporting category just to give the actor a better chance at winning.

by Anonymousreply 219April 25, 2018 10:44 PM

posted in the real estate thread but not really noticed: "There are also quite a few actors who have appeared in nude plays like "Naked Boys Singing" and "Party" who are now real estate agents in NYC."

by Anonymousreply 220April 25, 2018 10:53 PM

And Seth Numrich actually is far better than Nathan. There's no question Tom Hollander is better than Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 221April 25, 2018 10:56 PM

I'm changing my name to Corelle Bajour.

by Anonymousreply 222April 25, 2018 11:27 PM

That too! I had a great time at Travesties and hope to go again.

by Anonymousreply 223April 25, 2018 11:50 PM

R215. What it SHOULD be, dear "M," is "for Mamie and me" or "Grace and me--a real Vassar girl knows the difference between the nominative and objective cases. You, on the other hand, appear to a drop-out from Slippery Cunt State.

by Anonymousreply 224April 26, 2018 12:20 AM

Slippery Cunt State.

is that the place in MA where they get their rocks off?

by Anonymousreply 225April 26, 2018 12:27 AM

The loon speaks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 26, 2018 1:37 AM

I wonder what would happen if one of the Disney princesses at the theme parks tried to call in sick with an anxiety attack.

by Anonymousreply 227April 26, 2018 1:41 AM

If a leg in a cast didn’t bring it home for Andy Karl, an anxiety attack won’t bring it home for Murin. Remember back about 10 years ago when you could attack a performer for missing shows but almost no performers had public platforms yet where they could give you their unadulterated sob stories? Get in line, Murin. As if you’re the first artist to have emotional issues? LMM’s uselfaware narcissim, groff’s Peter Pan syndrome, Donna murphy’s Hypochondria, Sutton Foster’s agorophobia, you never heard them complain. They were just busy winning Tony’s and nominations. Buh-bye. There are soldiers with anxiety issues. They’ve seen real bombs; you’re only IN ONE.

by Anonymousreply 228April 26, 2018 1:57 AM

Jesus Christ, the crazy is just BLAZING in her eyes in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 229April 26, 2018 2:23 AM

Sutton Foster's agoraphobic?

by Anonymousreply 230April 26, 2018 2:26 AM

r230 does that mean dull as dishwater?

by Anonymousreply 231April 26, 2018 3:31 AM

We’re in dangerous territory when an unstable and mediocre theatrical placemat like Murin becomes a “thing”, she’s a nonstarter.

by Anonymousreply 232April 26, 2018 4:50 AM

Any word on what is going into the Shubert? Does Rudin have a secret show on the horizon?

by Anonymousreply 233April 26, 2018 9:48 AM

R233 - Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 234April 26, 2018 11:22 AM

For all the criticism of her over sharing,Patti Murin is still great in Frozen and seems a highly likely Tony nominee. She got an Outer Critics Circle nod and Caissie Levy was snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 235April 26, 2018 11:48 AM

R235, probably, I found them both charm free and simply “acceptable” in the roles, but Disney will never cast performers with true stage magic, everyone is kept at the medium level.

by Anonymousreply 236April 26, 2018 1:16 PM

r236 excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 237April 26, 2018 1:39 PM

Sorry, but when you are doing both parts of "Angels in America", Roy Cohn is definitely a supporting/featured role. So, Nathan's nomination is right where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 238April 26, 2018 2:26 PM

Frozen is Patti Murin’s show. She is amazing in the role. And I was not a fan before

by Anonymousreply 239April 26, 2018 2:30 PM

R239, good, then she can have all of the blame for it being a boring slogfest.

by Anonymousreply 240April 26, 2018 2:37 PM

Heather Headley and Sheri Rene Scott were both unusually good in Aida. But otherwise, it is true that the Disney stage musicals avoid casting unique talents.

It may be that they want word of mouth praising the show as a whole (that is, the Disney package) rather than this or that cast member, which would redound to an individual's credit rather than to that of the Disney people.

by Anonymousreply 241April 26, 2018 2:40 PM

I saw Frozen last night. Patti was terrific. Caissie Levy left at the end of Act 1 right before Let it Go. Alyssa Fox was wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 242April 26, 2018 2:45 PM

I think Jeremy Jordan counts as a unique talent. Certainly, many of the cast of Beauty and The Beast count. Not sure if there has been anyone else though.

by Anonymousreply 243April 26, 2018 2:46 PM

Agreed, R232, but I guess any publicity is good publicity?

by Anonymousreply 244April 26, 2018 2:46 PM

Jeremy Jordan is the textbook definition of not a unique talent

by Anonymousreply 245April 26, 2018 2:49 PM

I wasn't thinking of Jordan, R243, because I meant (though didn't say) only the Disney stagings of their cartoons, so I didn't count Newsies. Jordan is a fine talent, though he too often turns up in underwritten parts that don't give him acting room.

by Anonymousreply 246April 26, 2018 2:55 PM

[quote] Jeremy Jordan is the textbook definition of not a unique talent

Jeremy has a huge fan following. It's probably the most intense theatre following in quite sometime. Someone I know sells memorabilia on ebay and said a Jordan Playbill even from a total flop like Bonnie & Clyde commands between $75- $100 and moves.

by Anonymousreply 247April 26, 2018 2:56 PM

So WTF is going on with Javier Munoz? There was an interesting post on ATC suggesting that Chris Peterson is the person harassing Javier...

by Anonymousreply 248April 26, 2018 2:59 PM

The critics are going to slaughter Denzel and Wolfe over their steaming pile of horseshit tonight.

by Anonymousreply 249April 26, 2018 3:06 PM

MY TALENT IS THAT I SCREAM EVERYTHING THROUGH MY CLENCHED CROMAGNON FACE

by Anonymousreply 250April 26, 2018 3:07 PM

Whoa - Levy left in the middle of Act 1?

That is interesting. They have probably decided that whoever is doing 'Let It Go' needs to be at 100%.

It is a one song role just like Grizzabella.

by Anonymousreply 251April 26, 2018 3:07 PM

Heather Headley and Sheri Rene Scott were fantastic in AIDA, one of Scott’s replacements Felicia Finley was also a hoot, that show was the best overall Disney offering imho, The Lion King production notwithstanding, but the cartoon translations have been hollow, INCLUDING Frozen. A bore! It’s not “amazing”, whoever says “amazing” is not to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 252April 26, 2018 3:08 PM

How does Denzel Iceman compare to Forrest Hughie in awfulness?

by Anonymousreply 253April 26, 2018 3:11 PM

"Hughie" is only about an hour; "Iceman" is like 4 times as long.

by Anonymousreply 254April 26, 2018 3:14 PM

WTF is going on over at Frozen? Between Patsy Murin having her 19th nervous breakdown and Caissie Levy apparently dying of consumption, it sounds like the better job to have is understudy.

by Anonymousreply 255April 26, 2018 3:41 PM

Naked Real Estate Agents Singing! The sequel!

by Anonymousreply 256April 26, 2018 3:45 PM

All you need to know about FROZEN is found in that photo above of Patti M’s cray cray eyes. Exhausting dealing with her ups and downs and Cassie’s fragile throat. A panic!

by Anonymousreply 257April 26, 2018 3:47 PM

What exactly is the big deal about actors becoming real estate agents? There's a hell of a lot of people looking for real estate in NYC than there are people looking for triple threats. If they're a former actor they are likely pretty and can pretend to be gregarious. Isn't that the definition of a real estate agent?

by Anonymousreply 258April 26, 2018 3:53 PM

Just that quite a few of them appeared in naked plays. Do you bring that up if you use them as agents? Btw, is is possible to still be an actor and sell real estate or is the combination too time consuming?

by Anonymousreply 259April 26, 2018 4:08 PM

Wow, the Drama Desks were even more anemic than the OCCs. This is a worse season than when Starmites was nominated for several awards just to fill categories.

by Anonymousreply 260April 26, 2018 4:22 PM

LMAO at Tina Fey's husband not getting any nominations anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 261April 26, 2018 4:27 PM

R261, the Fey family deserves it for her single-handedly and egregiously reviving decades-deceased gay and black minstrelsy on two television shows, utilizing Broadway people as their useful-idiots: see Cheyenne Jackson and most cringeworthy, Tituss Burgess. Now they can come in and sweep our awards on their first try? I don’t THINK SO. Our industry is rife with gays and African Americans, whom Tina Fey clearly has demonstrated over several YEARS are just fodder for her condescending derision.

by Anonymousreply 262April 26, 2018 4:40 PM

Frozen got, well, frozen out. And weird how few nominations MFL got. And Harry Potter got a bunch of nominations, but not best play?

by Anonymousreply 263April 26, 2018 5:22 PM

Are the Drama Desk Award nominations a result of producers cutting the lists of comps for lesser award voters? Someone I know vaguely votes in one of these non-Tony things (I forget which) and was saying Broadway producers have become very stingy about giving her seats and when she does get offered it's usually one ticket on a specific day with no wiggle room and that if you don't respond at once you miss it. She said she flat up did not get offered Dolly or Hamilton; and I wonder if Frozen, suspecting to be a HOT ticket just didn't invite...

by Anonymousreply 264April 26, 2018 5:33 PM

Looking at the Drama Desk nominations really brings home what a dismal season this was. Is it the worst in recent memory?

by Anonymousreply 265April 26, 2018 5:33 PM

Those nominations are a joke. I'd be happy to be snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 266April 26, 2018 5:36 PM

Frozen must be doing much less business than they expected, their new ad campaign highlights "You can see it now, tickets are availiable!"

by Anonymousreply 267April 26, 2018 5:36 PM

The Iceman and Denzel verdict is already in with no Drama Desk or Outer Critics noms (other than for Morse)

by Anonymousreply 268April 26, 2018 6:41 PM

So Alyssa Fox replaced Caissie Levy mid show. And then had some ratchet bargain-basement dress to wear for act two because clearly the producers have not had the time on money to build her the pant suit that Caissie wears. Booooo.

by Anonymousreply 269April 26, 2018 6:47 PM

Girl, why don’t you see Frozen before you start with your snarky comments ? You know your ass is sitting for the DVD watching the movie on a loop eating Dove bars.

by Anonymousreply 270April 26, 2018 6:52 PM

[quote] You know your ass is sitting for the DVD watching the movie on a loop eating Dove bars.

Thomas Schumacher, don't you have some people to sexually harass?

by Anonymousreply 271April 26, 2018 7:06 PM

R270 is Patzi Moorin typing in the fetal position between gulps of her chilled Chardonnay n’ Wellbutrin shake.

by Anonymousreply 272April 26, 2018 7:20 PM

[quote]Girl, why don’t you see Frozen before you start with your snarky comments ? You know your ass is sitting for the DVD watching the movie on a loop eating Dove bars.

Actually the Queens here are waiting for the bootleg and then they can say they saw the show. Well most of it, and lot of the filmographers shoes as he drops the camera to applaud.

by Anonymousreply 273April 26, 2018 7:24 PM

Patti Murin is 2018's Jana Schneider

by Anonymousreply 274April 26, 2018 7:26 PM

LaChanse nominated ? Huh? WTF.

by Anonymousreply 275April 26, 2018 7:29 PM

The Drama Desk nominations made me laugh this morning. Some serious shade was tossed out, and rightfully so. And no, producers doing this or that don't factor so much into these, cause the DD nominating committee is small.

None of the Best Play nominees are or were on Broadway. HARRY POTTY rightfully not nominated.

SPONGEBOB not nominated for score despite all its other nominations, and in a year in which musicals are dire. MEAN GIRLS the same. Translation: Even in these so-so shows, the scores suck.

Lauren Ambrose, Denzel Washington not nominated. ICEMAN got what it deserves: almost nada.

Neither of the FROZEN ladies nominated. FROZEN almost totally ignored. MARGARITAVILLE was. LaChanze reps SUMMER.

Denise Gough nominated for PEOPLE, PLACES, THINGS but not AiA.

Only one of those silly HARRY POTTY actors nominated, and, thankfully, the right one.

by Anonymousreply 276April 26, 2018 7:30 PM

Only major DD omission, IMHO: Seth Numrich from TRAVESTIES

by Anonymousreply 277April 26, 2018 7:32 PM

I am proud to say I have never seen FROZEN in any incarnation.

by Anonymousreply 278April 26, 2018 7:35 PM

Oh r274, Jana Schneider......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 26, 2018 7:37 PM

Donna does Jana.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 26, 2018 7:40 PM

I knew a few of those naked real estate brokers. They're pretty cute. I saw at least 2 of them naked in their shows. They were actually pretty talented too.

by Anonymousreply 281April 26, 2018 7:49 PM

[quote] I knew a few of those naked real estate brokers. They're pretty cute. I saw at least 2 of them naked in their shows. They were actually pretty talented too.

Names or links. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 282April 26, 2018 8:08 PM

And the nominations for "music...!"

by Anonymousreply 283April 26, 2018 8:14 PM

Patti Murin is 1966’s Neely O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 284April 26, 2018 8:18 PM

Call me Anna, r284......

by Anonymousreply 285April 26, 2018 8:21 PM

In addition to Ambrose they went out of their way not to nominate Butz ... and then nominated Diana Rigg just to rub salt in it

by Anonymousreply 286April 26, 2018 9:25 PM

That'll just make Sher announce Ambrose in "Funny Girl" again!

by Anonymousreply 287April 26, 2018 9:27 PM

How did Once on this Island GET a nom for choreo and NOT GET a nom for direction? There's only one dance in the whole damn musical and yet the direction is outstanding. How did Carousel get an outstanding set nom when everyone comments on how its a poor facsimile of better Carousels?

by Anonymousreply 288April 26, 2018 9:42 PM

Wow, Jana Schneider. Am I right in remembering that she gave acting up to become a combat photographer, and then, much later wound up homeless?

by Anonymousreply 289April 26, 2018 9:57 PM

well, r288, I think Mr. Arden has more enemies in NYC than Mr. Davenport, which is impressive

by Anonymousreply 290April 26, 2018 11:21 PM

Thats's not true, r290. Michael Arden's reputation in NY is golden.

by Anonymousreply 291April 26, 2018 11:26 PM

Um, golden as in showers, R291.

by Anonymousreply 292April 26, 2018 11:29 PM

At Wiki r289.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293April 26, 2018 11:30 PM

Was Jerry Spring the Opera not eligible for the DD Awards?

Its score is legions better than most of what was heard this year, even with its endless profanities.

by Anonymousreply 294April 26, 2018 11:47 PM

What's going with Sondheim's (I think...) pair of Bunuel one-acts?

by Anonymousreply 295April 26, 2018 11:51 PM

Anyone in the Bay Area seen Berkeley Rep's production of Angels in America? This time around, Stephen Spinella's playing... Roy Cohn. Queer as Folk's Randy Harrison is Prior and Bob the Drag Queen is Belize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296April 27, 2018 12:04 AM

I think Act II of the Bunuels is stalled.

by Anonymousreply 297April 27, 2018 12:07 AM

Once on this Island choreo is awful. Looks like someone trying to get goat shit off their feet.

by Anonymousreply 298April 27, 2018 12:08 AM

Way to stomp all over a subtle joke, r292.

by Anonymousreply 299April 27, 2018 12:12 AM

That Wiki article on Jana Schneider is incomplete. There was a detailed article in, I think, US News and World report, that detailed how she was torn up by feeling she was responsible for her friend’s combat death. She slowly descended into mental illness, then homelessness. When the article was written, she had been confined to Bellevue. That was 2004, so who knows what happened to her since.

by Anonymousreply 300April 27, 2018 12:16 AM

R290 lies. Michael Arden does not have a bad rep in NY.

by Anonymousreply 301April 27, 2018 12:17 AM

Broadway wants Linda Eder back!!

by Anonymousreply 302April 27, 2018 12:18 AM

[quote]Michael Arden does not have a bad rep in NY.

He clearly pissed off all the wrong people.

by Anonymousreply 303April 27, 2018 12:28 AM

R302. No, it doesn't. Trust me. ...Really.

by Anonymousreply 304April 27, 2018 12:31 AM

Is David Cromer the Tony front runner for Director of a Play for The Band’s Visit?

by Anonymousreply 305April 27, 2018 12:32 AM

I was beaming like a tickled 2-year-old during much of George C. Wolfe’s revival of Eugene O’Neill’s behemoth barroom tragedy, which opened on Thursday night at the Bernard B. Jacobs Theater, with Denzel Washington more than earning his salary as its commanding star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 27, 2018 12:47 AM

Can we have an intelligent, informed, spirited DL discussion, like we used to in the old days, sparked by R176 ? I agree that "the commercial theater has really changed radically in the last 6 or 7 years" but I can't really pinpoint all the ways or give examples of how drastically different it is. I think about shows from 15 years ago that simply wouldn't get on today.

And not just Broadway, off-Broadway too. Has the influx of more NFP work on Broadway helped?

What do people really want to see?

by Anonymousreply 307April 27, 2018 1:08 AM

The theater is being killed by jukebox musicals and musicals based on movies, R307.

by Anonymousreply 308April 27, 2018 1:15 AM

The base level of the “finished” product is killing the spine of Broadway as an artistic destination, the mediocre productions fuel its corrupted heart, but the entire body is nearing worthlessness.

by Anonymousreply 309April 27, 2018 1:19 AM

I think the big changes in commercial theatre go back much farther than 6-7 years. In the eighties (thank you, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh) the idea of the megamusical took hold. Add in the Disney effect of the nineties, and everything became a mad scramble to create a franchise.

It’s not a million miles from what happened in Hollywood in the late ‘70s and '80s.

by Anonymousreply 310April 27, 2018 1:21 AM

The 'Iceman' reviews all seem glowing R307 The 'stars' now are mostly kinda shit.

by Anonymousreply 311April 27, 2018 1:25 AM

Ben Brantley seems to be afraid to dislike anything these days. He must be very scared of losing his job by offending anyone.

by Anonymousreply 312April 27, 2018 1:45 AM

Michael Arden definitely has enemies in the theater scene. Remember how the camera conveniently forgot where he sat when his named was called for his Spring Awakening Tony nomination?

by Anonymousreply 313April 27, 2018 2:23 AM

R313 Well, to be fair, they probably assumed he was at the urinal at the time.

by Anonymousreply 314April 27, 2018 3:03 AM

Thanks R314, I nearly peed myself laughing at that comment!

by Anonymousreply 315April 27, 2018 4:00 AM

Brantley is a star fucker of the lowest kind. The kind no one would ever want to fuck.

by Anonymousreply 316April 27, 2018 4:26 AM

Didn't Brantley LOVE that terrible Julia Roberts play?

by Anonymousreply 317April 27, 2018 5:48 AM

Um, no, he certainly didn't. And it's a great play that she couldn't begin to navigate.

by Anonymousreply 318April 27, 2018 6:39 AM

[quote]she had been confined to Bellevue.

Oh, darn. I wish I had known, I would have requested an adjoining suite!

by Anonymousreply 319April 27, 2018 8:10 AM

Yeah, Cromer has Best Direction of a musical in the bag.

Has he given up drugs?

by Anonymousreply 320April 27, 2018 8:40 AM

For all of 'The Band's Visit's artistic and commercial hit status, it's so odd that Cromer's name doesn't feel associated with it. You would think that after being the critical darling a decade ago (and then screwing it up), Cromer's team would be pushing it as David Cromer's HIT but in the community it's David Yazbek's hit- no one is talking about Cromer in association with it, which is frankly odd

by Anonymousreply 321April 27, 2018 10:24 AM

True. After reading r320's post, I actually had to stop for a moment and try to remember what he’d directed this season. And I loved TBV.

by Anonymousreply 322April 27, 2018 10:26 AM

[quote]I agree that "the commercial theater has really changed radically in the last 6 or 7 years" but I can't really pinpoint all the ways or give examples of how drastically different it is.

r307, I agree with you. I think part of it is economics. I see this in the off-Broadway community. New York used to have a thriving, interesting off-Broadway community. I now walk through Greenwich Village and look at all the places that were once theaters and now are something else. High rents drove all those small theaters out.

It's also the lack of real talent being produced. I look at the off-Broadway choices, which once included shows like Steel Magnolias, Other People's Money, Little Shop of Horrors, Nunsense, The Fantasticks and I don't see anything that equals these productions. It's the same with Broadway, but Broadway has always had to produce on a much higher scale. Broadway has sacrificed quality. Every show needs spectacle, every show needs a star, but there's nothing that touches the audience in these shows. Their PR machines make us think we're seeing good shows but we're not. Take Hamilton for example. The concept behind the show is interesting, but the music doesn't rise to the level of even mediocre shows of Broadway's Golden Age. The PR machines are leading us to believe that what we're seeing is great, but those who have a true artistic soul know that there's nothing satisfying in that show.

by Anonymousreply 323April 27, 2018 11:48 AM

Idk the answer about Arden (other than that one of my friends hooked up with him in LA off Craigs List if you can believe it), but it's striking that Island keeps getting noms and he keeps not getting nommed for best director

by Anonymousreply 324April 27, 2018 12:34 PM

R324 When was that? Wonder if Andy knows

by Anonymousreply 325April 27, 2018 12:40 PM

Andy knows. They have threesomes.

by Anonymousreply 326April 27, 2018 12:47 PM

Arden never had a bad reputation during his acting days, but he was highly emotional and very often extremely depressed, perhaps people remember the exhaustion dealing with his dark periods.

by Anonymousreply 327April 27, 2018 1:50 PM

[quote]Arden (other than that one of my friends hooked up with him in LA off Craigs List

Now that Craigslist has shut down their personals listings, where does he look for hook ups?

by Anonymousreply 328April 27, 2018 1:54 PM

R328-The Enquirer.

by Anonymousreply 329April 27, 2018 2:17 PM

This comment below gave me pause given that most of what is Off Broadway now (Billy Crudup's solo play, ADMISSIONS, more or less anything at the Public) is infinitely superior to the titles named below, all of which, except for LITTLE SHOP, are glorified junk and have aged badly. (Who in heaven's name would hold up Steel Magnolias as evidence of artistic excellence???)

>> I look at the off-Broadway choices, which once included shows like Steel Magnolias, Other People's Money, Little Shop of Horrors, Nunsense, The Fantasticks and I don't see anything that equals these productions.

by Anonymousreply 330April 27, 2018 2:27 PM

[quote] Um, no, he certainly didn't. And it's a great play that she couldn't begin to navigate.

"And before we go any further, I feel a strong need to confess something: My name is Ben, and I am a Juliaholic. Ms. Roberts, after all, is one of the few real movie stars — and I mean Movie Stars, like the kind MGM used to mint in the 1930's — to have come out of Hollywood in the last several decades."

Now let's ALL be surprised that Ben Brantley said nice things about a movie star in a production of Iceman that everyone says sucks.

by Anonymousreply 331April 27, 2018 3:05 PM

Posters like R323 help me to continue to believe we live in a sane world.

Thank you R323-----

" Their PR machines make us think we're seeing good shows but we're not. Take Hamilton for example. The concept behind the show is interesting, but the music doesn't rise to the level of even mediocre shows of Broadway's Golden Age. The PR machines are leading us to believe that what we're seeing is great, but those who have a true artistic soul know that there's nothing satisfying in that show. "

AMAZING SHOW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332April 27, 2018 3:07 PM

[quote] The PR machines are leading us to believe that what we're seeing is great, but those who have a true artistic soul know that there's nothing satisfying in that show.

I agree with this 100% and I'd also add that because ticket prices are so absurd every show HAS to be an event. I wouldn't mind seeing a mediocre Broadway show for $30.

by Anonymousreply 333April 27, 2018 3:11 PM

What do we know about Seth Numrich. I want his hole.

by Anonymousreply 334April 27, 2018 3:15 PM

The ICEMAN review on Vulture was certainly NOT glowing.

by Anonymousreply 335April 27, 2018 3:19 PM

I don’t mean to be a twit, really, but it’s ok for any ethnicity besides white to rap, right? Can someone educate me on why it’s not ridiculous for an Asian to rap, but somehow white people are culturally appropriating if they do? Love Hamilton and its novel approach to American history, but the wholesale buy-in to the idea that you’re only hip if you’re NOT white is one of the reasons we are besotted with this pernicious backlash that thrust Trump into office.

by Anonymousreply 336April 27, 2018 3:25 PM

R336 has never heard of Eminem

by Anonymousreply 337April 27, 2018 3:27 PM

R337, Eminem by race is disqualified to audition for Hamilton. The question is Broadway-centric. This is a theatre gossip page, TWAT.

by Anonymousreply 338April 27, 2018 3:28 PM

[quote]all of which, except for LITTLE SHOP, are glorified junk and have aged badly. (Who in heaven's name would hold up Steel Magnolias as evidence of artistic excellence???)

Bitch, please! The stage production of Steel Magnolias gave us a movie that is still talked about on DL today. It may not be your personal taste, but it's not a junk play. And in the Trump era, theaters all across the US should be doing Other People's Money. The movie was shit, but the stage version is quite good. And The Fantasticks was so successful its original production ran off-Broadway for 42 fucking years. People who had seen it originally were able to bring their children and grandchildren to see it. Now THAT's a classic.

by Anonymousreply 339April 27, 2018 3:31 PM

Who were these queens saying Ambrose was getting the Tony? Not happening.

by Anonymousreply 340April 27, 2018 3:37 PM

[quote] Now let's ALL be surprised that Ben Brantley said nice things about a movie star in a production of Iceman that everyone says sucks.

but r331 almost all the reviews are raves except for NY Magazine/Vulture

Everyone I know has hated it but ONeill can be torture. So the critics this week raved for Stoppard and o"neill, playwrights that make mere mortals was to kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 341April 27, 2018 3:39 PM

[quote] So the critics this week raved for Stoppard and o"neill, playwrights that make mere mortals was to kill themselves.

I'm usually bored at Stoppard plays but I thought Travesties was fun; although I wasn't entirely sure what was happening all the time.

by Anonymousreply 342April 27, 2018 3:41 PM

Is "The Real Thing" Stoppard's most accessible play? Or would it be something else? Most people don't like to have to do a lot of research before seeing a play.

by Anonymousreply 343April 27, 2018 3:41 PM

What frustrates me about Hamilton's music is that it tries to be good and just messes up.

Take "It's Quiet Uptown." The song starts out really beautifully. "There are moment's that the words don't reach...." It doesn't matter what your ethnic background is, everyone can connect with the emotion of grief. It's universal.

But then he ruins the song by coming in with that whiny shit "Look at where we are Look at where we started I know I don't deserve you" and ruins the song.

If he had taken the time to properly craft the song, it could have been a strong song about handling grief and every diva from Barb Streisand to Adele would have wanted to record it. But we're left with a song whose middle is whatever is lower than dreck.

by Anonymousreply 344April 27, 2018 3:44 PM

The Real Thing is by far Stoppard’s most accessible play. All the others are intellectual jerk-off sessions, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 345April 27, 2018 3:47 PM

R330 Steel Magnolias may not be the best play ever written, but there's no denying its impact and beloved place within our culture at large, primarily via its film version but also by virtue of being in constant circulation in regional, stock, and community theatre. All that started with the play off-Broadway. What commercial off-Broadway show has had that impact lately?

Not only are the plays at the level of Driving Miss Daisy and How I Learned to Drive and Three Tall Women gone from off-Broadway, gone too are the small comedies that would run a year or two, make money, and then go on to a healthy afterlife in subsidiary productions: Sylvia, Breaking Legs, Over The River And Through The Woods all had commercial runs. Now, small comedies or dramas that once would have been off-Broadway do limited runs on Broadway with stars and that's that.

It feels like when shows like Art (1998-99) started being on Broadway regularly, that was the beginning of the trend which continues with Meteor Shower, Red, and God of Carnage, all of which would have been off-Broadway without question once upon a time. Once commercial off-Broadway stopped being the place for smaller shows and a certain type of star, that was a turning point that couldn't be assigned to any one moment in time. Commerical off-Broadway, it could be argued, never really recovered from 9/11. The good "product" has gone to limited runs in NFP seasons or on Broadway.

The festivals pour a lot of trial product into the marketplace. And as someone mentioned, spaces are an issue. Off-Broadway has become concentrated into midtown, whereas it used to be every neighborhood had a few little playhouses. Even the upper east side had its own set of theatres. What off-Broadway show in the past ten years could fill a 299 or 499 for any length of time, beyond Jersey Boys or Avenue Q or any of the shows that had Bway runs and then moved to New World?

Part of me wonders if the reason so many of the larger off-Broadway spaces are gone (Promenade, Union Square Theatre, Variety Arts, Century Center) is simply because there wasn't a regular stream of good shows with broad enough appeal to fill them.

The closing of the gap between the Broadway and off-Broadway ticket price is a factor too. How small would a show have to be to sustain on a rush ticket price (%30-40) or even a $50 ticket?

by Anonymousreply 346April 27, 2018 3:50 PM

Does it seem that there are more Off-Broadway nonprofit "institutions" now (Playwrights, Rattlestick, Vineyard, Signature, New Group, Public) that have replaced the old Off-Broadway community? Even the Broadway nonprofits all have huge Off-Broadway presences.

by Anonymousreply 347April 27, 2018 4:05 PM

We get it, r344. You make that same point, using the same song as an example, in almost every theatre thread.

by Anonymousreply 348April 27, 2018 4:05 PM

Dinner With Friends, Wit, Marvin's Room, Tea at Five, Sight Unseen.....just some of the many commercial off-Broadway hits that would only be done on Broadway now with movie/TV stars in some over-bloated production and a set that had to perform some coup de theatre nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 349April 27, 2018 4:07 PM

I know someone who has produced Off Off Broadway and he was telling me the costs of renting spaces and I was pretty floored. He said the June Havoc Theatre (which is usually empty) was $5K a week and you had to pay upfront AND you had to give a security deposit of 50%.

by Anonymousreply 350April 27, 2018 4:09 PM

Thank you R346 for that insightful post.

And the reason R344 he didnt "take the time to properly craft the song" is because he shares a trait with his show: both have ADHD.

And R348-why not add something of your own to the discussion.??

R344 makes a great point no matter HOW many times he makes it.

by Anonymousreply 351April 27, 2018 4:10 PM

R351 = R344

by Anonymousreply 352April 27, 2018 4:12 PM

try again

by Anonymousreply 353April 27, 2018 4:13 PM

Didn't Michael Arden get into a lot of trouble back when he starred in the pre-Broadway tryout of The Times They Are a Changin' and he was overheard in some diner trashing Twyla Tharp and the rest of the creative team?

by Anonymousreply 354April 27, 2018 4:13 PM

If Lauren Ambrose isn’t winning best Actress in a Musical, who is? Katrina Lenk? Patti Murin or Caissie Levy? Hailey Kilgore from OOTI?

Jessie Mueller may not even be nominated.

It’s a very leak list.

by Anonymousreply 355April 27, 2018 4:44 PM

Katrina.

I get the hype but not in comparison to Ambrose who has so much more to do and pulls it all off.

by Anonymousreply 356April 27, 2018 4:48 PM

[QUOTE] The question is Broadway-centric.

Then why were you talking about cultural appropriation? And that whole thing you were blathering about white people not being considered hip leading to Trump - that was all just about Hamilton was it? So basically Trump was elected because non-white people rap in Hamilton?

by Anonymousreply 357April 27, 2018 4:51 PM

It has very little to do with rap. Eliza is always played by a non-white person and she doesn't rap.

by Anonymousreply 358April 27, 2018 4:53 PM

As now you should already know only whites have the "privilege" to culturally appropriate other groups of people while every other races play white characters or use white culture heritage just fine without anyone bats an eye.

by Anonymousreply 359April 27, 2018 5:11 PM

a/k/a reverse racism.

by Anonymousreply 360April 27, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote]The Real Thing is by far Stoppard’s most accessible play. All the others are intellectual jerk-off sessions, in my opinion.

Even ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD, r345? Sure, it helps to have read HAMLET , but I didn't find anything intellectually inaccessible about it.

by Anonymousreply 361April 27, 2018 5:40 PM

I don't think Arden has "enemies." I think the reason he may be getting passed over is more likely Ken Davenport who's projects aren't taken very seriously.

by Anonymousreply 362April 27, 2018 5:51 PM

Also, lest we forget, DD and OCC mean nothing. Meet the average voter from either organization and you’ll know why they can’t be taken seriously.

I’m not personally a huge fan of OOTI, but Arden will certainly be getting a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 363April 27, 2018 5:55 PM

In the end, MFL will pull down the majority of Tonys. LCT is all-powerful, whether deserving or not. And in this case, I don't think they're very deserving at all.

by Anonymousreply 364April 27, 2018 5:55 PM

[quote]If Lauren Ambrose isn’t winning best Actress in a Musical, who is? Katrina Lenk? Patti Murin or Caissie Levy? Hailey Kilgore from OOTI?

They always reward a star. None of the others are big enough names. Ambrose is a lock.

by Anonymousreply 365April 27, 2018 6:30 PM

[quote]I don’t mean to be a twit, really, but it’s ok for any ethnicity besides white to rap, right? Can someone educate me on why it’s not ridiculous for an Asian to rap, but somehow white people are culturally appropriating if they do?

Is Hugh Jackman rapping the opening number in "The Greatest Showman" with an African-American accent considered cultural appropriation? Asking seriously. I'm surprised I haven't read or heard any comments on that. And I think this question is germane to this thread, as it's likely that movie will become a Broadway show sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 366April 27, 2018 6:33 PM

[QUOTE]I'm surprised I haven't read or heard any comments on that

Answered your own question there then

by Anonymousreply 367April 27, 2018 6:35 PM

Did you ever eat a taco? Or dim sum? Or use shampoo?

Guess what? You've culturally appropriated!

You see how ridiculous this argument is?

There is no nation, no society, no culture in the history of Planet Earth that hasn't absorbed features of another's. That's what prompts understanding and brotherhood. Only in our pathetic, narcissistic era would any dimwit lay claim to originality or authenticity.

And while we're talking of dimwits, please stop defending amateurish schlock. It serves no purpose except to denigrate everyone, whereas good work makes everybody look good.

by Anonymousreply 368April 27, 2018 7:13 PM

Boring! I’d rather have the Robbie Fairchild troll back.

by Anonymousreply 369April 27, 2018 7:23 PM

Be careful of what you wish for, R369.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370April 27, 2018 8:16 PM

Thank you r345. Any play (like "Coast of Utopia") that requires page after page of program notes in order to follow what is happening on stage is a play that is badly written.

by Anonymousreply 371April 27, 2018 8:29 PM

Robbie has an ENORMOUS head.

by Anonymousreply 372April 27, 2018 8:47 PM

Michael Arden WAS nominated for an Outer Critics Circle award.

by Anonymousreply 373April 27, 2018 8:51 PM

I was at a community theater production of "West Side Story" last night and got to wondering -- do they license the use of the new Spanish lyrics from the most recent Broadway revival?

by Anonymousreply 374April 27, 2018 11:08 PM

Let's hope not. A more alienating and pointless revision there never was.

by Anonymousreply 375April 28, 2018 12:40 AM

Nothing sounds more pathetic than a community theater production of West Side Story. Sorry for your loss.

by Anonymousreply 376April 28, 2018 1:12 AM

No R172, just a guy that wishes about, isn't manly, one you do not want to sleep with. And really, not all males in theater are sissies. Don't you have any experience? And your constant use of saying posters are rejected by their betters, well, that shows us your life.

by Anonymousreply 377April 28, 2018 1:56 AM

God, I want to sleep with Ethan Slater.

by Anonymousreply 378April 28, 2018 1:57 AM

I think I'm going to learn a few song styling moves from Miss Lisa Kirk. I assume Lypsinka has them all down pat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379April 28, 2018 2:06 AM

Ok so it looks like Lauren Ambrose, Tony Shalhoub, Glenda Jackson, Andrew Garfield (or Denzel) Nathan Lane, Laurie Metcalf (or Denise) for Tonys....

Patti Murin fucked herself with her personal day with Tony voters.

by Anonymousreply 380April 28, 2018 2:15 AM

R380, sorry but I really don’t think Murin’s behavior would have anything to do with it. No one is going to feel motivated to give a Tony ton any actor in Frozen, that artless cash-grab.

by Anonymousreply 381April 28, 2018 2:20 AM

Murin will get nominated but she never had a chance of winning. The other nominees will be Lenk, Kilgore, Ambrose, and probably one of the Mean Girls. R380, I’m thinking the opposite of you for leads and MFL and Bands Visit. I think Lenk and Hadden-Paton will win. I think supporting actor will go to one of their cast members. Either Norbert or Ariel stachel will win. I have no clue who will win supporting actress. It might be Lindsay Mendez. I hope not, because she seems very nice and does a fine job, but there are at least a hundred other actresses in New York who could have played the part just as well. There was nothing distinctive she brought to the role.

by Anonymousreply 382April 28, 2018 2:41 AM

Patti Fuckin’ Murin Ruined Broadway!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 383April 28, 2018 4:37 AM

Denzel ain't winning shit.

by Anonymousreply 384April 28, 2018 8:00 AM

[quote]It’s a very leak list.

Leak? Did someone mention leak?

by Anonymousreply 385April 28, 2018 8:14 AM

[quote]not in comparison to Ambrose who has so much more to do and pulls it all off.

Well, except for the singing. She manages to "fake" sounding like she has a legit soprano part of the time, but always loses it as she wobbles out of a high note. It's the worst-sung Liza in maybe forever. Only Audrey Hepburn's original tracks that were dumped in favor of Marni Nixon were worse.

by Anonymousreply 386April 28, 2018 8:17 AM

[quote]They always reward a star.

Not always.

by Anonymousreply 387April 28, 2018 8:19 AM

Ok hate to admit it but I found Katharine McPhee surprisingly good in Waitress, she cuts through those songs like butter and a better actress than SMASH led me to believe. Is this part of a permanent move to theatre? Or is she still failing at being a pop star?

re: Tony's what can seriously win beyond My Fair Lady? Mean Girls is true dreck, or is Tina Fey that connected?

by Anonymousreply 388April 28, 2018 9:32 AM

Katrina Lenk's publicist deserves a bonus for how hard s/he is working in these threads

by Anonymousreply 389April 28, 2018 10:48 AM

What makes you think Lenk's publicist is working these threads? There's not that much about her here. Lauren Ambrose, on the other hand, is all over the thread. Given the evidence of her reviews, and the evidence of hearing her singing the songs, it's a perfectly reasonable assumption that she won't be walking away in victory on Tony night.

by Anonymousreply 390April 28, 2018 10:51 AM

[quote]Or is she still failing at being a pop star?

Katherine McPhee has been a regular on the CBS series "Scorpion" for the last four years.

by Anonymousreply 391April 28, 2018 10:52 AM

The girl who plays Regina George in Mean Girls has gotten raves. Could she win Supporting?

by Anonymousreply 392April 28, 2018 11:32 AM

Frozen can't be selling well. There's a flyer in today's Times and seats are available all over TodayTix.

by Anonymousreply 393April 28, 2018 11:51 AM

I feel sorry for Kat McPhee because "Smash" was a hot mess. In Season 1, it was treated as a soap opera. They realized that wasn't working, added MORE characters and tried to pivot it to a musical drama which bombed. I think the lowest point was when they took the supremely talented Raza Jaffrey and made him do that Bollywood dream sequence. Either that or the episode where they had Liza propped up against the wall at Sardis. That scene should have been titled The Singing Mummy. But then again Bernadette rasping through her songs was painful to watch as well.

by Anonymousreply 394April 28, 2018 12:15 PM

R386 Whilst that might be true technically, her singing was pleasant to my ears and I didn't find it remotely bothersome. So yes I would still happily give her the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 395April 28, 2018 12:42 PM

The insert in the TImes is for Tony voters, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 396April 28, 2018 12:42 PM

You have a charming way about you, R396.

by Anonymousreply 397April 28, 2018 1:10 PM

"Whilst"??? What are you, one of the Brits in the show with her, r395?

by Anonymousreply 398April 28, 2018 1:37 PM

[quote]where they had Liza propped up against the wall at Sardis. That scene should have been titled The Singing Mummy.

LOL!!

by Anonymousreply 399April 28, 2018 1:38 PM

Fun fact-a shoot day on Smash had to be totally rejiggered because Liza was “indisposed.”

I love watching Denzel lose awards. He’s such a bitter cunt.

by Anonymousreply 400April 28, 2018 1:43 PM

R398 I am a Brit yes but not in the show.

by Anonymousreply 401April 28, 2018 1:46 PM

[quote] Fun fact-a shoot day on Smash had to be totally rejiggered because Liza was “indisposed.”

I don't totally remember the episode, but wasn't her involvement in that episode just lip synching to a song? Or did she actually have some dialogue?

by Anonymousreply 402April 28, 2018 1:52 PM

If Lauren Ambrose and Andrew Garfield play along and prance through enough pre-Tony press events you can be sure they will win their Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 403April 28, 2018 1:59 PM

So Liza played a drag queen on SMASH?

by Anonymousreply 404April 28, 2018 2:00 PM

Taylor Louderman, who plays Regina in Mean Girls, has been ruled eligible in the Lead Actress category. She may get nominated (as she was in that category for the DD's, and maybe the OCCs too?), but she certainly won't win.

Liza did have a few lines in her Smash cameo (as herself), and lip-synching to a song demands coherence of timing, so...

by Anonymousreply 405April 28, 2018 2:06 PM

[quote]I don't totally remember the episode, but wasn't her involvement in that episode just lip synching to a song? Or did she actually have some dialogue?

She had dialogue, yes, but there were too many S's. Ultimately, the producers brought in Donna Murphy to do a little re-looping and help clarify certain syllables.

by Anonymousreply 406April 28, 2018 2:08 PM

Gee, r386, please tell us how many Elizas you've seen to be able to declare that she may be the worst one ever.

by Anonymousreply 407April 28, 2018 2:16 PM

I'm not 386, but here goes.....Julie, Audrey, Nancy, Andreas, Errico, McCutcheon.

by Anonymousreply 408April 28, 2018 3:09 PM

Bit shocked how many tickets there seem to be for Harry Potter this month and next month... I thought that after the reviews it would be impossible to get anything but premium, but almost all shows have the 'regular' priced $199 tickets available. Very odd

by Anonymousreply 409April 28, 2018 3:27 PM

Maybe we all learned from that Hamilton thing that hype dont mean shit

by Anonymousreply 410April 28, 2018 3:35 PM

Well no because regular priced Hamilton tickets are still unavailable for this and next month.

by Anonymousreply 411April 28, 2018 3:47 PM

bought on the tail end of the road to hype

by Anonymousreply 412April 28, 2018 3:51 PM

Maybe they need to put Bette Midler into Harry Potter

by Anonymousreply 413April 28, 2018 4:10 PM

Maybe they need to give every ticket buyer a glossary.

by Anonymousreply 414April 28, 2018 4:19 PM

R412 I'm pretty sure Hamilton's sales will be fine for a long time but if that's what you want to tell yourself, sure.

by Anonymousreply 415April 28, 2018 4:20 PM

This ain't London, kids.

by Anonymousreply 416April 28, 2018 4:20 PM

[quote]Maybe they need to put Bette Midler into Harry Potter

A Hocus Pocus-Harry Potter mashup would sell like gangbusters!

by Anonymousreply 417April 28, 2018 4:35 PM

Apparently FROZEN is not selling well at all, the girls who loved and lived it are now just old enough to look down on it in that way girls just starting puberty and gay men of all ages do better than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 418April 28, 2018 4:37 PM

Aw. Right now on Have Gun Will Travel is the eternally lovely Miss Patricia Morison. She and fellow thespian Mr. Vincent Price are reduced to performing in.....a saloon. Throw in a bit of Shakespeare and Morey Amsterdam....amusing hijinx ensue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419April 28, 2018 4:59 PM

I will never understand the appeal of the movie Frozen. Maybe people are finally waking up to how disjointed and unsatisfying the story is, now that they’ve grown inured to "Let It Go" (a song that, dramatically speaking, nullifies itself even as its being sung).

by Anonymousreply 420April 28, 2018 5:08 PM

A GAME FOR THIS SATURDAY!!!

Okay fellow lovers of greatness in musicals, without looking, what show are we talking about?

" So new, so fresh, and so unassuming, even in its pretensions."

"Exuberantly defiant and the production explodes into every nook and cranny of the theater".

"the only new concept in musicals on Broadway in years and it's more fun than any other this season"

"dynamic score" that "blasts and soars", "

"not only a wildly enjoyable evening, but a thoroughly moral one."

"The show rejected every convention of Broadway, of traditional theatre in general, and of the American musical in specific.

And it was brilliant."

by Anonymousreply 421April 28, 2018 5:20 PM

Well, look at Chicago / Hamilton this Tuesday in Chicago.... While I know the show has been running for a while there, its interesting to compare the Chicago run to the Chicago run of Wicked....

by Anonymousreply 422April 28, 2018 5:22 PM

FROZEN the movie was all about Idina Menzel showing up in a princess movie and belting her face off about frozen fractals because fuck you, Kristin and fuck your two faced Republican appeasing bullshit and fuck you black husband and fuck you Hollywood with your young skinny tiny blonde fixation and your fucking traffic jams. While I suspect Kris and Bobby Lopez knew that all along, everyone else in Disney tried to spin it as a feminist tale about sisterly love and redemption. Elsa scared the pants off Mormon-moms while Caissie Levy in pants is downright comfy for even the most conservative and uptight Hamilton fearing theater-goer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423April 28, 2018 5:22 PM

r421 Hair?

by Anonymousreply 424April 28, 2018 5:23 PM

r421

Spongebob?

by Anonymousreply 425April 28, 2018 5:27 PM

r421 Oklahoma?

by Anonymousreply 426April 28, 2018 5:29 PM

Obviously Ankles Aweigh.

by Anonymousreply 427April 28, 2018 5:31 PM

r421 SpongeBob

by Anonymousreply 428April 28, 2018 6:34 PM

r421 Breakfast at Tiffany's

by Anonymousreply 429April 28, 2018 6:49 PM

[quote]not only a wildly enjoyable evening, but a thoroughly moral one."

God, remind me to skip that one.

by Anonymousreply 430April 28, 2018 6:54 PM

Did McCutcheon sound good in the theatre? Her vocals sound processed on the recording.

by Anonymousreply 431April 28, 2018 6:57 PM

When she showed up, McCutcheon was good, especially the act one cockney material. But she wasn’t a trained stage actress (I don’t think) and she couldn’t really sustain her performance.

by Anonymousreply 432April 28, 2018 7:09 PM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433April 28, 2018 7:16 PM

I believe McCutcheon went to stage school but I think she became a soap actress relatively young.

If McCutcheon could pull off the vocals, it makes me wonder if Sheridan Smith could do the same. Smith was wrong for Fanny Brice but she could certainly sing the score. McCutcheon was known for more chest focused singing as well, so perhaps has a soprano in there.

by Anonymousreply 434April 28, 2018 7:21 PM

*perhaps Smith has a soprano in there.

by Anonymousreply 435April 28, 2018 7:27 PM

FROZEN and MALIFICENT were all about Disney's determination to have their very own WICKED(s).

Curious to know how much the two films have grossed compared to WICKED's mega-millions.

by Anonymousreply 436April 28, 2018 7:58 PM

Saw The Play That Goes Wrong last night. Missed it on my trip last summer. Got a TDF ticket, 2nd row Mezz, the place was quite crowded, even the balcony, with little pockets of empty sections here and there. I was surprised. I thought it would be gasping for air at this point.

The play isn't anywhere as funny or clever as it thinks it is. A lot of the jokes fall flat and some of the character motivation (especially by the two female characters) makes zero logical sense. Worst was the female stage manager having absolutely no idea what happens in the play so that she's utterly shocked at one point, yet earlier knows to anticipate a missing fireplace mantle in enough timing to get a bit of stage business taken care of. I enjoyed the show on the whole, but I wouldn't say I laughed more than a half dozen times, total.

I will say that the cast is busting their asses out there. I think the cast is full replacement at this point (and there was an understudy in last night), but they have their timing down perfectly and are serving the show much more than it deserves. The writers should get down and kiss their asses that they've made anything out of the dinner theater script.

by Anonymousreply 437April 28, 2018 7:59 PM

R436, according to Box Office Mojo, Frozen made nearly $1.28 billion worldwide. Maleficent "only" made over $738.5 million. Here in the states, Frozen turned a tidy profit ($400.7 million on a $150 million budget). Maleficent at least broke even ($241.4 million on a $180 million budget).

by Anonymousreply 438April 28, 2018 8:10 PM

[quote]some of the character motivation (especially by the two female characters) makes zero logical sense.

There were character motivations? I must have missed that.

by Anonymousreply 439April 28, 2018 8:17 PM

The video at r433 is very much how I remember it. Was McCutcheon really cockney? Her body language and accent are so spot on. Usually the actress playing Eliza has to fudge the cockney accent and you really lose something. She really did feel like a pretender in her nice dresses with her 'perfect' vowels.

It’s also interesting to see how Nunn handled the ending.

by Anonymousreply 440April 28, 2018 8:26 PM

McCutcheon is from Hackney (like Leona Lewis) so I think she counts as cockney.

by Anonymousreply 441April 28, 2018 8:32 PM

I just got a vision of Annaleigh Asford as Eliza Doolittle... Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 442April 28, 2018 8:34 PM

R 436

Wicked has grossed over a billion dollars on Broadway. I also remember vaguely that one of the producers admitted that worldwide it has grossed over 3.5 billion dollars. If Wicked were included in Universal's Box Office Mojo list it would be by far the biggest hit that studio has ever had.

Apparently The Lion King Musical has grossed over 7 billion dollars world wide for Disney. That is super fucking huge.

Also I don't know what Frozen made for Disney as a hit album and single. There appears to be an Elphaba effect as well -- it did well in English and in Verkaik's region (Germany) before steamrolling into being a huge Japanese hit as well.

by Anonymousreply 443April 28, 2018 8:43 PM

[quote]It’s also interesting to see how Nunn handled the ending.

Nunn's ending made it clear that she would no longer be subservient to HIggins, without having her break the fourth wall and exit through the audience.

by Anonymousreply 444April 28, 2018 8:48 PM

Do any British chorus boys/actors post here? I know broadway is fun for gossip, but so is west end. Any fun shenanigans going on across the pond?

by Anonymousreply 445April 28, 2018 8:50 PM

[quote] There were character motivations? I must have missed that.

hahahaha. i was trying to not be specific because of spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 446April 28, 2018 8:53 PM

[quote] Any fun shenanigans going on across the pond?

I guess you mean aside from Robbie and Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 447April 28, 2018 9:12 PM

The whole cast of Dear Evan Hansen just won a daytime emmy.

Apparently Ben Platt and Rachel Bay Jones are both 2/3 the way to EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 448April 28, 2018 9:37 PM

What? Why???

by Anonymousreply 449April 28, 2018 9:45 PM

Please! Can we not waste so many posts on crap and focus instead on quality...in any department?

by Anonymousreply 450April 28, 2018 9:47 PM

[QUOTE]Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program

It actually sounds like an award someone would make up for a satirical bit, and yet...

Wonder how quickly he'll add "Emmy winner" to his social media bios

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451April 28, 2018 9:50 PM

This award category is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 452April 28, 2018 9:52 PM

How can someone be 2/3 of the way to an EGOT, which has 4 parts?

by Anonymousreply 453April 28, 2018 9:53 PM

You mean they are 3/4 their way to the EGOT considering they have just the oscar to go

by Anonymousreply 454April 28, 2018 9:53 PM

Ben Platt has an Emmy and

Kim Cattrall

Courteney Cox

Bernadette Peters

Patti LuPone

Jason Alexander

and DL fave Sigourney Weaver does not

by Anonymousreply 455April 28, 2018 10:11 PM

That is astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 456April 28, 2018 10:20 PM

Awards are meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 457April 28, 2018 10:46 PM

I’ve always thought that Martine McCutcheon would have made the definitive Louise in Gypsy. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 458April 28, 2018 11:07 PM

Martine McCutcheon still has a cherubic face. I bet she reads younger today on stage than Benanti did in the LuPone production.

by Anonymousreply 459April 28, 2018 11:12 PM

Martine McCutcheon didn’t sing Eliza particularly well, but it was still better than Lauren Ambrose.

by Anonymousreply 460April 28, 2018 11:16 PM

[quote]please tell us how many Elizas you've seen to be able to declare that she may be the worst one ever.

Okay, besides Martine M in London, I’ve seen every NYC Eliza since Christine Andreas. I’ve seen probably two or three regional productions, too, plus a video of the Australian one that Julie Andrews directed. But I really made the comment in relationship to Broadway/Hollywood. I’m sure there have been some women in community theatres or regionally who couldn’t pull off the vocals.

by Anonymousreply 461April 28, 2018 11:21 PM

Wasn’t there a LONDON Gypsy in the works years ago with Martine as Louise and DL fave Maria Friedman as Rose.

I seem to remember a gossip column about it.

Friedman would have sang it well.

by Anonymousreply 462April 28, 2018 11:34 PM

In terms of London Gypsys, there should have been a revival with Julia McKenzie.

by Anonymousreply 463April 28, 2018 11:37 PM

R463 Imelda and I disagree, she nailed Rose perfectly

by Anonymousreply 464April 28, 2018 11:55 PM

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest fucking category for an Emmy I have ever heard of, even dumber than Best Web Series, considering Web Series DON'T AIR ON TELEVISION.

by Anonymousreply 465April 28, 2018 11:59 PM

I agree about Imelda nailing it on stage, in contrast to the broadcast, but McKenzie is of a different generation. She wouldn't have prevented Imelda playing it. Tyne Daly was supposed to take it to London.

by Anonymousreply 466April 29, 2018 12:02 AM

2/3 the way to an EGOT because they got a daytime emmy and apparently that counts. But not really.

by Anonymousreply 467April 29, 2018 12:12 AM

I should have done Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 468April 29, 2018 12:20 AM

R466 Ahh gotcha, agree Julia would have been great

by Anonymousreply 469April 29, 2018 12:31 AM

Stormy Daniels is London GYPSY

by Anonymousreply 470April 29, 2018 1:06 AM

Besides Sondheim's misgivings about having Maria sing "it's alarming how charming I feel" in "I Feel Pretty", there's another glaring one when her friends sing to her "Which? What? Where? Whom?" "WHOM?" Even plenty of native English speakers don't even use the word "whom" instead of "who".

by Anonymousreply 471April 29, 2018 1:21 AM

Just posted this on another thread. I'd forgotten it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472April 29, 2018 1:44 AM

R462, I’d never heard that. I did hear that there were plans to have Tyne Daly do it in London but Operation Desert Storm kicked the dollar’s ass so bad it wasn’t financially viable. I also heard there was a plan to do it at the King’s Head pub with Nicola McAuluffe directed by Michael Cashman but they couldn’t get Arthur Laurents to agree to it. That would have been a fascinating venue.

by Anonymousreply 473April 29, 2018 1:53 AM

Tyne Daly had her eye on doing the tv version. Then Bette Midler got wind of the project and the rest is history. Maybe someone listened to Tyne's singing and figured there was no way anyone could dub her singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 474April 29, 2018 1:57 AM

I've heard Daly didn't sound too bad when starting the Gypsy tour pre-Broadway. With vocal rest, they probably could have put an acceptable recording together. I've heard that she doesn't sound bad on the Call Me Madam recording she did.

by Anonymousreply 475April 29, 2018 2:26 AM

Could u imagine the 1964 GYPSY with Judy and Liza?

by Anonymousreply 476April 29, 2018 2:34 AM

[quote]Could u imagine the 1964 GYPSY with Judy and Liza?

No, because Liza was never beautiful. Louise has to be enough of a looker that men want to watch her strip. Liza had that ugly nose and was flat as a board.

by Anonymousreply 477April 29, 2018 2:41 AM

Gypsy was no Natalie Wood herself...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478April 29, 2018 2:51 AM

Fortunately, you aren’t a voter R395, and those who are are more discerning than you.

by Anonymousreply 479April 29, 2018 2:59 AM

Neither Lauren Ambrose nor Andrew Garfield are winning Tonys for their forgettable, mediocre performances. There have been numerous times over the past years where Hollywood actors have been utterly ignored.

by Anonymousreply 480April 29, 2018 3:03 AM

My impression is that post-openings, Carousel is experiencing much stronger word of mouth than MFL, at least among my friends in the theater. I'd love to see it take the Tony over MFL.

LCT and Bart Sher need to be knocked down several pegs. Scott Rudin, see what you can do about that, please.

Or, wouldn't it even be more fabulous if they split the votes and let Once on This Island win? I'm all for Tony upsets.

by Anonymousreply 481April 29, 2018 3:12 AM

Did Kelli pass on MFL? Ambrose may be a Hollywood actress but she's not a name.

by Anonymousreply 482April 29, 2018 3:21 AM

Why does Bart Sher need to be knocked down several pegs? He is known for being very kind and he does consistently excellent work in opera, plays and musicals. I just want to understand why he needs the knocking ?

by Anonymousreply 483April 29, 2018 3:28 AM

Sorry, MFL is the horse to beat, the tragic Carousel is NOT a sleeper favorite.

by Anonymousreply 484April 29, 2018 3:38 AM

R437,

Agreed. Saw PLAY THAT GOES WRONG for the second time this past week (having seen it in London), and yes, the two female characters are reduced to absurdities that make little to no sense, and, as a result, aren't really funny. Not a terrible play, and audiences clearly want and need a good laugh, and comedies are in rare supply these days on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 485April 29, 2018 4:07 AM

I thought LuPone was supposed to take GYPSY to London, too? What's the deal with never taking that show to London. Was Imelda blocking all the transfers to make sure UK audiences saw her first. I thought Imelda's overall production was sorta meh, but she was brilliant on stage and probably the best all around Rose I've seen. She sang with gusto, was funny, charming, scary, disturbing, and pathetic. She really brought it. Then, I saw the BBC broadcast...it's a completely different performance and I'd imagine Imelda is mortified that it's the performance that will be around forever. I think she was supposed to take it across the pond, but the negative responses from the BBC version seemed to stop that.

by Anonymousreply 486April 29, 2018 4:41 AM

Yes, no one's ever done Gypsy in London before Imelda.

by Anonymousreply 487April 29, 2018 4:50 AM

I will KILL you, r498 ! It's Gray!

by Anonymousreply 488April 29, 2018 4:53 AM

Make that r487. But I may be coming for you too, r498...

by Anonymousreply 489April 29, 2018 4:54 AM

It's funny how Chita was in talks to do it in London in the mid 60s. It's yet to happen that a young(ish) woman has played the role in a major production.

I hope Sutton isn't the next Rose. Or Audra.

Sara Ramirez might bring some of the real life Rose to it. Has Lea Delaria played it anywhere? And I mean as Rose, not Herbie.

by Anonymousreply 490April 29, 2018 4:59 AM

Sutton will never be the next Audra LOL

Timothee Chalamet would be a good Louise.

by Anonymousreply 491April 29, 2018 5:44 AM

[quote]Has Lea Delaria played it anywhere?

Lea doesn't play women very effectively.

by Anonymousreply 492April 29, 2018 10:00 AM

[quote]Could u imagine the 1964 GYPSY with Judy and Liza?

Please. I have enough nightmares as it is.

by Anonymousreply 493April 29, 2018 10:01 AM

It's important that the rhyme schemes and grammar be realistic in WSS because it's so realistic in the first place that Puerto Rican gang members and their girlfriends are singing and dancing all day long

by Anonymousreply 494April 29, 2018 11:07 AM

r471, I think the "whom" was meant to be sung tongue in cheek.

by Anonymousreply 495April 29, 2018 11:51 AM

Someone needs to replace most of the dialogue to WSS to get rid of Arthur’s invented “slang” which is very often corny. That’s why they’ve started including the Spanish in every production.

by Anonymousreply 496April 29, 2018 12:54 PM

LuPone was supposed to take Gypsy to London, but she chose to do the HBO pilot ( a show sorta based on a Sondheimish character) that in the end HBO passed on. Arthur Laurents got pisssed at Patti (AGAIN) and Gypsy was off.

Interestingly, Bernadette’s Gypsy was supposed to start in London but came to Broadway first. I bet if it had gone as planned with London first, the kinks would have been worked out and Bernadette would have been less divisive by the time she came to Broadway.

Stritch was supposed to do Gypsy in London as well but financing fell through.

by Anonymousreply 497April 29, 2018 1:03 PM

Actually, I don't think that's why Spanish was introduced. And I understood that it was ultimately dropped from the initial production. Don't know whether it remains an option.

by Anonymousreply 498April 29, 2018 1:04 PM

Sam Mendes asked to do GYPSY in London with Patti. Arthur said no because he hated Patti at the time because she turned down doing his play. Arthur told Sam to use Bernadette. Then suddenly London was out and it was now going to Broadway instead. Arthur, of course, hated that production as he didn't direct it and when he and Patti made up, he diecided to do the show again as a summer Encores production. The rest as they say, is history.

by Anonymousreply 499April 29, 2018 1:17 PM

R174 here you go you OLD humorless dummy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500April 29, 2018 1:40 PM

R500: Queen of the snappy putdown.

by Anonymousreply 501April 29, 2018 1:43 PM

r174 you really can't come up with a better insult than 'old'? you're an embarrassment to gay wit.

by Anonymousreply 502April 29, 2018 2:00 PM

sorry I meant r500

by Anonymousreply 503April 29, 2018 2:01 PM

^^^it's ok. You were probably so flustered. 😜

by Anonymousreply 504April 29, 2018 2:09 PM

Oh, don't be so hard on poor R500; he seems a bit slow. It took him several hundred posts to come up with "OLD" and "dummy."

by Anonymousreply 505April 29, 2018 2:17 PM

R505 ummm NO. I was blocked but now I'm back bitch. Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought that fucker back.

by Anonymousreply 506April 29, 2018 2:22 PM

Well, you are a force to be reckoned with, aren't you, r506?

by Anonymousreply 507April 29, 2018 2:25 PM

It’s our resident incel Poppins Loon. Best to ignore and move on.

by Anonymousreply 508April 29, 2018 2:26 PM

Nothing like getting a laugh from terrorizing the old queens of DL. It's just too easy! Haha. Y'all started it because you can't take a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 509April 29, 2018 2:27 PM

I've never seen mary poppins. So there!

by Anonymousreply 510April 29, 2018 2:32 PM

Miss Sally Adams requests the pleasure of your company.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511April 29, 2018 2:32 PM

[quote]LuPone was supposed to take Gypsy to London, but she chose to do the HBO pilot ( a show sorta based on a Sondheimish character) that in the end HBO passed on.

I hadn't heard about that. Can you tell me about it?

by Anonymousreply 512April 29, 2018 2:37 PM

The HBO series had a pilot, right? I wonder if it’ll ever be leaked.

It was about a Sondheim-esque composer/lyricist played, I think, by Norbert Leo Butz. I remember hearing was it featured a scene of him doing lines of coke off a WICKED Playbill. What I wouldn’t give to see this.

by Anonymousreply 513April 29, 2018 3:18 PM

I would give the Poppins Loon to see this.

by Anonymousreply 514April 29, 2018 3:50 PM

And La LuPone played a broadway diva. She gave an interview around this time saying Arthur was pissed at her again because everyone thought the show would have 8-10 episodes a season and that made a London Gypsy out of the question. Arthur gave an interview pre-feud saying London only wanted him and Patti, so it would have had a new Herbie and a new Louise.

Of course the series got shelved and LuPone lost out on both accounts.

by Anonymousreply 515April 29, 2018 4:31 PM

In the HBO pilot Butz played a gay meth addict Broadway composer. Langella played his famous sculptor father. Hope Davis played his attorney sister. Linus Roache played her husband. Susan Sarandon played a Susan Stroman type director. Kathryn Bigelow directed it a few months after winning the Oscar and it STILL didn’t get picked up.

by Anonymousreply 516April 29, 2018 6:18 PM

C'mon folks, there’s gotta be a copy of that HBO pilot floating around somewhere. Post it!!!

by Anonymousreply 517April 29, 2018 6:21 PM

That pilot sounds fascinating. Did Norbert get naked? I've always thought he was kinda cute.

by Anonymousreply 518April 29, 2018 7:13 PM

Lee Pace was in the HBO project as well

by Anonymousreply 519April 29, 2018 7:51 PM

THE MIRACULOUS YEAR is the name of the HBO pilot, inspired by John Logan’s close friendship with Sondheim while they developed the SWEENEY TODD screenplay. Sondheim was apparently livid when he found out about the show, I believe through Patti. Also, Adam Guettel wrote all the original songs for the show-within-the-show. I have the script. It’s certainly better than SMASH or most of GLEE, although the humor was more of THE BIG C variety than the outlandish camp of the aforementioned series. And HBO pilots never, ever, ever leak so don’t get your hopes up.

by Anonymousreply 520April 29, 2018 8:10 PM

Did Sondheim have reason to be afraid?

by Anonymousreply 521April 29, 2018 8:13 PM

HBO also didn’t pick up a Scott Rudin-produced, Noah Baumbach-directed pilot of The Corrections based on a huge international best seller. Ewan McGregor, Chris Cooper and Dianne Wiest were its stars. And it STILL didn’t get picked up.

by Anonymousreply 522April 29, 2018 8:18 PM

R521, I worked on the pilot for The Miraculous Year and there wasn’t a dungeon in it. There were, however, a few hustler characters in it. That guy with the great body in Priscilla...didn’t get cast as one of them because Rudin said he had a “clownface.”

by Anonymousreply 523April 29, 2018 8:21 PM

Well, I NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 524April 29, 2018 8:39 PM

I'm sure Sondheim was livid. He was always very protective of his private life, and I doubt he'd want to see the hustler angle on the small screen; while he did a lot of recreational drugging at one time I'd be surprised if he did meth or heroin, and I think he stopped nearly everything after the heart attack. I can't believe Adam Guettel would have been working on this and NOT told Sondheim about it.

by Anonymousreply 525April 29, 2018 9:01 PM

Clownface but great dick

by Anonymousreply 526April 29, 2018 9:15 PM

I don't see Norbert Leo Butz as a Sondheim prototype. To me, he always read working class Irish Catholic. If he was in Downton Abbey, he'd be playing the gardener or the sheep shearer.

by Anonymousreply 527April 29, 2018 9:27 PM

D527, true, he played him more like Bobby Morse rather than Sondheim. But he was playing a promiscuous, gay, meth addict so HBO said no, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 528April 29, 2018 9:29 PM

There have been several pilots that have been retooled, reshot and got the green light. Is there any chance that could happen? But put in an actor who can be believed as nerdy, Jewish intellectual?

by Anonymousreply 529April 29, 2018 9:36 PM

Wow, the difference between how Tyne Daly sounds in that tape and how awful she sounds on the CMM CD is amazing. I guess she just doesn’t record well.

She sounds even better on the London Call Me Madam BBC broadcast, which was before she did it at Encores. She didn’t do an accent there, I wondered if that’s what tripped her up in NY, having to sing with that accent.

by Anonymousreply 530April 29, 2018 9:38 PM

No, R529, not on HBO. Once they say no the decision is final.

by Anonymousreply 531April 29, 2018 9:40 PM

R529, this never happens a decade later.

by Anonymousreply 532April 29, 2018 9:44 PM

couldn't the pilot be shopped to other cable outlets?

by Anonymousreply 533April 29, 2018 10:09 PM

There was a scene in the pilot where NLB character hosted a dinner party. Patti’s character thought she was opening an award closet only to find one of the waiters inside, naked and in a sling.

The scene ended with LuPone humorously walking into the closet and closing the door.

by Anonymousreply 534April 29, 2018 10:13 PM

No, R533, that’s not how it works with HBO. Not if the pilot was shot already. It’s pretty amazing that work by both Kathryn Bigelow and Noah Baumbach will never see the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 535April 29, 2018 10:19 PM

Delightful, and I can see LuPone playing that scene. Jesus, no wonder Sondheim was upset.

by Anonymousreply 536April 29, 2018 10:19 PM

Maybe the HBO pilot was why LuPone didn't get to do Gypsy in London. Sondheim said, "I shall not be mocked!"

by Anonymousreply 537April 29, 2018 10:28 PM

[quote]I can see LuPone playing that scene. Jesus, no wonder Sondheim was upset.

I think r534 was joking, but yeah, that would have been a fun scene.

Is the script online anywhere, I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 538April 29, 2018 10:33 PM

R534 That isn't in the script.

by Anonymousreply 539April 29, 2018 11:19 PM

But it should be!

by Anonymousreply 540April 29, 2018 11:24 PM

That is the only portion of the script that actually exists.

(Until it is posted online.)

by Anonymousreply 541April 29, 2018 11:25 PM

Just watched this.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542April 29, 2018 11:26 PM

[QUOTE]But it should be!

Well something pretty close to that was in that Wesley Taylor web series he made. See Andrew Keenan Bolger in puppy play fetish gear and Gideon Glick strapped into a harness...as if you need to watch a web series to see that.

by Anonymousreply 543April 29, 2018 11:37 PM

[Quote] put in an actor who can be believed as nerdy, Jewish intellectual?

That spunds like a job for James McArdle!

by Anonymousreply 544April 29, 2018 11:47 PM

[quote]Just watched this.....

She must have been drinking before she went on because that's more over the top than what she did in the original performance. She didn't over-enunciate every word like she does in that clip. It's funny though that they kept all the same choreography. In the original, she high fives Stella, but since Stella isn't there, she has to high five the blonde woman.

by Anonymousreply 545April 29, 2018 11:50 PM

I didn't know Follies was returning for a second run. I guess ImeldaGYPSY on Broadway is dead in the water.

by Anonymousreply 546April 29, 2018 11:51 PM

In that clip she sounds like she's still doing Judy Garland, and it's awful.

by Anonymousreply 547April 29, 2018 11:52 PM

Bennett was better in the broadcast. The broadcast was very well filmed, much better than that clip. I still didn't like her performance that much - too indebted to Garland - but I could admire much of its effectiveness.

I guess they'll do a cast recording for the second run.

by Anonymousreply 548April 29, 2018 11:59 PM

[quote]In that clip she sounds like she's still doing Judy Garland, and it's awful.

That was always her specialty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549April 30, 2018 12:00 AM

[quote] I guess they'll do a cast recording for the second run.

The cast recording was already done after the last performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550April 30, 2018 12:03 AM

As much as I thought Imelda was good, I wouldn't be disappointed to see someone else in the role in that production.

by Anonymousreply 551April 30, 2018 12:08 AM

Thanks for the link. Cooke mentions taking it beyond the National. Are they hoping for a New York transfer?

by Anonymousreply 552April 30, 2018 12:11 AM

I actually thought Imelda was one of the weaker links in the show. She was too "hard" as Sally. More fishwife than showgirl.

by Anonymousreply 553April 30, 2018 12:18 AM

Tracie Bennett's Judy Garland was the sort of performance I would have expected from a third-rate drag queen appearing at a second-rate venue in Provincetown. She was awful.

by Anonymousreply 554April 30, 2018 12:20 AM

II agree, R554. I certainly hope Renee Zellweger is a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 555April 30, 2018 12:23 AM

Every time one of these “groundbreaking” performances from London is televised, it turns out to be dreck. “But it was better when I saw it in person!” Uh huh, sure.

by Anonymousreply 556April 30, 2018 12:23 AM

Everything I know, I learned from Jim Bailey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557April 30, 2018 12:27 AM

Imelda was "too hard" in Gypsy too. Screaming to the rafters and snarling all the way through the show.

by Anonymousreply 558April 30, 2018 12:28 AM

Diana Rigg was amazing in Follies. So tall.

by Anonymousreply 559April 30, 2018 12:41 AM

BAJOUR!

Too soon?

by Anonymousreply 560April 30, 2018 12:42 AM

I thought the point of the promiscuous methhead composer was that it was based on Guettel not Sondheim

by Anonymousreply 561April 30, 2018 12:49 AM

Guettel makes more sense ,at least in terms of the drugging.

by Anonymousreply 562April 30, 2018 12:56 AM

Jim Bailey looks somewhat like Lorna Luft but he is so much closer to Garland than Tracie Bennett ever got.

by Anonymousreply 563April 30, 2018 12:58 AM

But wasn’t the composer in the HBO pilot gay? That part would be Sondheim, not Guettel.

Maybe it was an amalgam.

by Anonymousreply 564April 30, 2018 1:08 AM

[quote]Jim Bailey looks somewhat like Lorna Luft but he is so much closer to Garland than Tracie Bennett ever got.

I agree with you completely, 563. Tracie Bennett didn't act the role, she indicated it.

by Anonymousreply 565April 30, 2018 1:12 AM

Could u imagine Judy Loves Sondheim. Like 1961 voice Garland singing, “Losing My Mind” “Send in the Clowns” “I’m Still Here” and “Not a Day Goes By”

by Anonymousreply 566April 30, 2018 1:32 AM

Three and a half hours of soporific, wildly self-indulgent, pseudo-poetic rants about...well, I still don't know!

Shameless schtick and vaudeville with added Yiddish AND Hebrew to give it that old-timey Jewish flavor!

Endless scenes that seem to have some point of view regarding the earth, and heaven and Russia?!

[bold]Yup, an evening at Angels in America: Perestroika![/bold]

I really wanted to love it the way I did in 1994, but alas. Why was Andrew Garfield playing Prior Walter as Rita Hayworth/Ginger Grant? His reedy and shrill voice becomes a challenge after three hours, but god love him! Couldn't Nathan Lane at least TRY to go out on a character limb and really attempt to evoke Roy Cohn more? I mean he's pretty good, but just NOT Roy Cohn, a guy lots of people are old enough to actually remember! Lee Pace was spot on, I was impressed. The rest of the cast was "earnest". I actually liked the angel's wings, but wanted to pluck the character regardless, almost as annoying as that British bird puppet in The Lion King! Go AWAY!

In summation: I guess to have a good AIDS play, you need lots of AIDS....and we no longer have much. I knew AiA was 30% Kushner's pseudo-intellectual gibberish, but it is really more like 70%. He does keep chipping away at you until you give in to it all though, so props for that!

by Anonymousreply 567April 30, 2018 1:35 AM

And now a brief chat with Miss Gray..............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568April 30, 2018 1:45 AM

Why didn't anyone warn me that PattiLu was on "Mom" this week?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569April 30, 2018 2:58 AM

Met Glenda Jackson yesterday, a very cool Dame.

by Anonymousreply 570April 30, 2018 3:07 AM

This bitch IS jealous, r570.

by Anonymousreply 571April 30, 2018 3:09 AM

Well R569 After you missed Cheno, we figured you didn't care?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572April 30, 2018 3:15 AM

If you're talking about Bennett, I don't think anyone has claimed she gave a groundbreaking performance. The number was effectively done in the cinema broadcast. It's verifiable.

Aa for Imelda, she was excellent on stage as Rose. There are bootlegs out there that reflect that.

You could search them out and decide for yourself but you'd rather "Sure, Jan" your way through the thread, I get it. I don't engage in it, but I get it.

by Anonymousreply 573April 30, 2018 3:15 AM

I liked Sigrid Thornton as Judy in the Peter Allen biopic from a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 574April 30, 2018 3:17 AM

Dolores and Steve Allen. Funny how "Sabrina" seems like a female impersonator. Not so, tuxedoed Dot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575April 30, 2018 3:23 AM

A London performance from 1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576April 30, 2018 3:28 AM

Dolores appears after 19:50 at r576 and after 26:11 at r576.

by Anonymousreply 577April 30, 2018 3:36 AM

So R523, you said you worked on the pilot, do YOU think it was a great loss -it never seeing the light of day?

And what was the energy surrounding it? Did you enjoy the project? Was it inspiring to you? Or the opposite?

by Anonymousreply 578April 30, 2018 4:19 AM

The script for The Miraculous Year is funny, but dry, his vice is booze, coke and twinks.

by Anonymousreply 579April 30, 2018 4:20 AM

R567:

A VOICE IN THE WILDERNESS.

Angels was great for its time.

We've grown

by Anonymousreply 580April 30, 2018 4:21 AM

But R579, did it have heart and a reason for being?

If it did, I believe it would have survived.

No?

by Anonymousreply 581April 30, 2018 4:23 AM

Here's the most info on MIRACULOUS YEAR I could find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582April 30, 2018 6:02 AM

R582 Gods that dialogue is corny as fuck, so overstated

by Anonymousreply 583April 30, 2018 6:18 AM

Okay, I think I love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584April 30, 2018 6:54 AM

That "Miraculous Year" dialogue is pretty bad. I think I know why HBO didn't pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 585April 30, 2018 8:58 AM

Nobody told me that Eddie Redmayne was going to be in that HBO project. Nobody told me!

by Anonymousreply 586April 30, 2018 11:27 AM

[quote]Gods that dialogue is corny as fuck, so overstated

Yeah, they needed a few Datalounge posters to make that dialogue sing!

by Anonymousreply 587April 30, 2018 11:28 AM

INT. TERRY’S TOWNHOUSE-BEDROOM - NIGHT Terry and Connor are fucking. Terry is panting for air, sweating, out of shape. He fumbles in a bedside drawer. Pulls out a bottle of poppers. Inhales wildly. Snorts and coughs. Connor is amused. Poppers. So old school.

by Anonymousreply 588April 30, 2018 11:52 AM

It goes after Disney, Wicked and any popular show of that period, the characters are all hateful and TERRY is a grotesque, not fun.

by Anonymousreply 589April 30, 2018 11:56 AM

He licks the playbill clean of cocaine.

TERRY Well, at least it’s not Disney.

He tosses the playbill into a basket with other “corrupt” shows: LES MIS, CATS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, MAMMA MIA, JERSEY BOYS, etc.

by Anonymousreply 590April 30, 2018 12:00 PM

R589--and they thought HBO was going to take on Disney?

by Anonymousreply 591April 30, 2018 12:30 PM

Well the description of Terry does sort of sound like Sondheim in his 40s.

by Anonymousreply 592April 30, 2018 12:31 PM

Except Terry has a boyfriend played by Lee Pace.

by Anonymousreply 593April 30, 2018 12:38 PM

A show needs characters

by Anonymousreply 594April 30, 2018 12:43 PM

Doesn’t the person who keeps trying to tell us that SpongeBob is attractive realize we all have eyes, too?

by Anonymousreply 595April 30, 2018 12:56 PM

Well, who was Sondheim's BF in the 70s? Maybe there's a resemblance to Lee Pace.

by Anonymousreply 596April 30, 2018 1:01 PM

Lee Remick?

by Anonymousreply 597April 30, 2018 1:03 PM

LOL. But 60s.

by Anonymousreply 598April 30, 2018 1:05 PM

How did Sondheim meet his current boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 599April 30, 2018 1:42 PM

don't know, but he wasn't even born in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 600April 30, 2018 1:53 PM

IMDB says that "The Miraculous Year" has gotten 90 ratings. 90! How have 90 people been able to see it? (It/s only got 5.2)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601April 30, 2018 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!