Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Animated Disney films - Best and Worst

What are you favorite animated Disney films starting with "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" through "Coco?" Do you like the hand-drawn animation or the computer animated films better?

by Anonymousreply 76April 28, 2018 11:05 PM

Definitely hand-drawn over computer. Dumbo and Pinnochio are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2018 10:39 PM

I have a soft spot for "Robin Hood," even though it's considered second-tier by aficionados due to its usage of recycled animation. (For example, Little John is frequently drawn with recycled cells of Baloo from "The Jungle Book.") I particularly love the Roger Miller score.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2018 10:42 PM

The Aristocats and Lady & the Tramp are my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2018 10:43 PM

Hand drawn v computer - no opinion really. They represent their era.

Worst - Robin Hood. Boy were running on fumes in the 70s. Sleeping Beauty - ugh. Brother Bear & Good Dinasaur are basically the same story told through different species. Home on the Range, dud.

Best - Coco, Toy Story 3, Beauty and the Beast, the Incredibles, Pinocchio

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2018 10:50 PM

Hand drawn wins hands down Haven’t enjoyed a Disney movie since the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2018 10:54 PM

It seems like every recent Disney film is branded a classic upon release, but I just wonder if those CGI films ("Frozen", "Moana", "Coco") will hold up years from now the same way the early hand-drawn features do. The hand-drawn Disney animation definitely seems more popular among adults than kids.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2018 10:54 PM

Tangled is my favorite with Sleeping Beauty a close second.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2018 10:55 PM

Generally I prefer hand-drawn animation; however, I think the best Disney animated film(s) are the Toy Story Trilogy. They resonated with me the most. Cried like a little baby at the ending of Toy Story 3.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2018 10:59 PM

Maybe this is annoying of me, but I don't think the Pixar movies should be considered Disney movies. It's an entirely different studio.

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2018 11:02 PM

Home on the Range was my least favorite mainly due to the voice of Roseanne Barr.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2018 11:03 PM

Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, Pinochicco, Bambi, 101 Dalmations, Robin Hood, The Little Mermaid--also Wall e and Up i think are brilliant. The animation doesn't interest much so much in those 2. But I love them as films.

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2018 11:04 PM

The male characters in animated Disney films started becoming really hot ever since Gaston sported his hairy chest in "Beauty and the Beast."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2018 11:10 PM

One that doesn't get mentioned a lot, that I loved, is Oliver &Co. I also loved The Rescuers.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2018 11:10 PM

"Princess and the Frog" was the end of an era, but I found the animation in that film very hypnotic. I love watching it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2018 11:13 PM

Cinderella has always been the one for me. Many years ago I read a piece on Disney villainesses. The writer posited that the worst was the Stepmother because she had no special powers and was an evil cunt just for the sake of being an evil cunt (my words).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2018 11:21 PM

Mary Poppins is one my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2018 11:52 PM

"Beauty and the Best" and "Tangled" are my faves, with "Sleeping Beauty" serving as the tiebreaker that puts me on the hand-drawn side.

My least favorite is "Treasure Planet", and didnt that justly-forgotten mess kill the hand-drawn animation department?

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2018 11:57 PM

Treasure Planet was FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2018 11:59 PM

"The Emperor's New Groove" is a special kind of classic in its own way.

by Anonymousreply 19April 23, 2018 12:01 AM

My favorite ever is "Pinocchio," with "Tangled" second.

by Anonymousreply 20April 23, 2018 12:01 AM

Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella. Rest are forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 21April 23, 2018 12:02 AM

yum-ooooooooooooooooooooo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 23, 2018 12:03 AM

No more drinks for table R21. "Rest are forgettable"???

Well, I think you know what you can kiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 23, 2018 12:25 AM

[quote]The writer posited that the worst was the Stepmother because she had no special powers and was an evil cunt just for the sake of being an evil cunt (my words)

She was my role model.

by Anonymousreply 24April 23, 2018 12:41 AM

[quote]I also loved The Rescuers.

I'll see that and raise you the criminally underrated Rescuers Down Under.

My favorite is Beauty and the Beast, with pretty much any release between 1970 and 1985 (with the exception of the aforementioned Rescuers) as my least favorite.

by Anonymousreply 25April 23, 2018 1:21 AM

I think "The Great Mouse Detective" is also underrated.

by Anonymousreply 26April 23, 2018 1:35 AM

This moment when the pheasant loses it is really classic. It's hunting season. And my god. Nothing tells the truth like BAMBI does. No stone is left unturned in this film. It is no joke. Completely unapologetic about the life experience from the high to the low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 23, 2018 3:59 AM

Pinocchio

Beauty and the Beast

LIlo and Stitch

Coco

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2018 4:22 AM

Fantasia

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2018 4:37 AM

Bambi is in a class by itself. My sentimental favorites are Pinnochio and Dumbo. Wall-E is a true masterpiece by any standard.

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2018 5:06 AM

[quote]I also loved The Rescuers.

I did too.

I still remember the beautiful, and eerily haunting, opening song. I grew up in the 80s, during the height of the missing child movement, and this song always made me feel sad, thinking of the real kids my age who were abducted and were probably never coming home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2018 5:08 AM

My favorite is a tie between Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia.

Fantasia 2000 not so much.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 5:22 AM

Sleeping Beauty bored me as a kid, but I appreciate it so much on an artistic level now as an adult.

The medieval art inspired animation is simply breathtaking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 5:35 AM

WALL-E is not just one of the best movies Disney's ever made -- it's one of the best movies of the past 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 6:01 AM

r31 I love the Rescuers too. The music is great. Surprisingly, to my knowledge, the soundtrack has never been fully reissued on CD.

Dumbo and Bambi are emotionally powerful.

Sleeping Beauty has stunning animation.

Princess and the Frog is very underrated.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 6:09 AM

Not to say that it's the best but I love the original 101 Dalmatians. The art is inspired by the English artist Rowland Hilder, who in turn was inspired by the Dutch 17th century artist Hercules Seghers. I love looking at the landscapes and cityscapes in it.

Rowland Hilder landscape below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 6:20 AM

Who Framed Roger Rabbit!

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 6:26 AM

I'm a 1930s lover freak so I'll go with Snow White for best. For worst there are unfortunately way too many contenders, I won't even compare them.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2018 6:58 AM

[quote]WALL-E is not just one of the best movies Disney's ever made -- it's one of the best movies of the past 20 years.

Uh, Disney didn’t make it.

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2018 9:00 AM

R39, Disney bought Pixar in 2006. WALL-E was produced by Disney and Pixar and distributed by Disney. It's a Disney product.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2018 9:13 AM

God I'm a whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2018 9:19 AM

That’s like saying Iron-Man is the best Disney film ever.

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2018 9:28 AM

No, it's not, because Iron Man was made before Disney bought that studio, while WALL-E was made after Disney had acquired Pixar.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2018 9:32 AM

That’s like saying Star Wars: The Force Awakens or Ant-Man is the best Disney movie ever.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2018 9:35 AM

Sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 23, 2018 9:39 AM

Song of the South is a whopper!

by Anonymousreply 46April 23, 2018 10:25 AM

A moment please for Disney's greatest villain, Ursula the Sea Witch.

Put another way, which are you going to have a rousing time with at Uncle Charlie's, "Part of Your World" or "Poor Unfortunate Soul?" Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 47April 23, 2018 12:07 PM

Pocahontas. Loved the cool color scheme, some of the songs. John Smith was cute. Loved it.

Made me have a fetish for blond/blue jerks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 23, 2018 1:54 PM

Disney distributes the Pixar films, but they are different studios. R44 is right—if you consider "Wall-E" a Disney film, that means that you "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is as well. Just because Disney as a corporation is gobbling up everything in sight doesn't mean that we should conflate the actual studios.

by Anonymousreply 49April 23, 2018 2:32 PM

[quote] Song of the South is a whopper!

All the other Disney hybrids copied it. [italic]Bedknobs and Broomsticks[/italic] did the best job of it.

by Anonymousreply 50April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

[italic]The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh[/italic] is a stoner comedy cleverly disguised as a children's animated film.

by Anonymousreply 51April 23, 2018 2:38 PM

"Just because Disney as a corporation is gobbling up everything in sight doesn't mean that we should conflate the actual studios."

Only 50 threads and already there's a nit-picky bitch fight over cartoons.

Welcome to the DL.

by Anonymousreply 52April 23, 2018 2:39 PM

I don't consider it a bitch fight, just a discussion. What's wrong with having a discussion on a message board? Isn't that the point?

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2018 2:44 PM

Hands down, [italic]Chicken Little[/italic] is the worst animated Disney movie I've seen, hand-drawn or animated. That movie was such a fuck-you to everything that came before it that it made me give up on new non-Pixar films from them for almost a decade. Skip it and watch the 1943 animated short of the same instead. The more recent CGI ones by Disney proper are better than that mess, but none of them were worth getting rid of hand-drawn animation for. There's room for everyone, etc., etc., etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 23, 2018 2:44 PM

Bambi. My mother took me to see it as a child.

The openin song always makes me weep.

by Anonymousreply 55April 23, 2018 2:46 PM

I was pretty disappointed in "Moana." There were some good songs and some really beautiful animation, but the story felt inert and incomplete, like a solid second draft. The whole sequence with the singing crab was pointless—which Howard Ashman would have clocked in two seconds, and thrown it out.

by Anonymousreply 56April 23, 2018 2:48 PM

"Bambi" is beautiful from an animation aspect (those deep woods modeled on the deep, piney green and black granite of Maine's woods) but it's also a profound meditation on life and loss. It's a prime example of when animation is truly art. I was a sentimental, serious kid and it moved me. I remember also getting misty over the friendship in "The Fox and The Hound". Also part of the reason I can't read the end of "Winnie The Pooh", when Christopher Robin "leaves" his early childhood behind, without bawling my eyes out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57April 23, 2018 3:06 PM

R57 "perspective' not "aspect".

by Anonymousreply 58April 23, 2018 3:07 PM

R57: I think you'll like this video—which shows one of the reasons why the animation is so magical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 23, 2018 3:11 PM

Disney did more than just distribute WALL-E.

by Anonymousreply 60April 23, 2018 3:19 PM

"I don't consider it a bitch fight, just a discussion. What's wrong with having a discussion on a message board? Isn't that the point?"

You're trying to start an argument over semantics on a simple thread about Disney animated movies.

Any movie made through Disney, including "The Force Awakens", is a Disney movie. Disney owns the SW franchise rights.

"WALL-E" is also a Disney movie. Disney owns Pixar.

by Anonymousreply 61April 23, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote] One that doesn't get mentioned a lot, that I loved, is Oliver &Co.

Those two teenage girls who got Blanche and I in trouble wouldn't have if they'd just seen this movie like I'd suggested.

by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2018 4:27 PM

I love "I'm Shiny," r56. It was the only decent song.

by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2018 4:27 PM

R63 & R56 I enjoyed the music in Moana. There was something rather charming about hearing The Rock sing "You're Welcome."

by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2018 4:35 PM

Abba was originally intended to do the music for The Lion King, but they weren't available, so Disney went with Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2018 11:52 PM

R57 Thank you for reminding me of FOX AND THE HOUND. It is not referenced often, but a gorgeous film ultimately about racism and friendship. Asking the question--can we truly get past our differences and come together as friends and equals. And it bravely, but sadly concludes with--no, we cannot ultimately. Pretty intense.

I also loved the christopher robin and pooh stuff.

I feel lucky to have been a child in the 70's when these kinds of stories were being told to children all the time. They were the norm.

Schulz's Peanuts worked in this same way. They were psychological and emotional stories for children. Daring to look at the child who is the outsider or the other. And not in a condescending way. But in an honest and relatable way.

And they not afraid of the darker truths of these stories.

Charlie Brown loses the spelling bee. He doesn't get a valentine. He loses the ball game. Again.

The fox and the hound have too many differences. And there are too many others who disapprove of their friendship. They cannot overcome these barriers and stay friends.

These endings would never go today. Parents would be outraged and find this way too dark for children. It's sad. Hiding or perverting the truth never makes it not true. And up and coming generations have no armor for or experience with any of these truths.

Sorry. didn't mean to go off. This thread is about Disney.

PINOCHHIO, SNOW WHITE, THE LITTLE MERMAID, 101 DALMATIONS.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2018 12:00 AM

R66 I haven't yet seen Fox and the Hound but Zootopia had a similar theme.

by Anonymousreply 67April 24, 2018 4:18 PM

R67 And omg. Thank you for reminding me about ZOOTOPIA. Another film that i had completely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 68April 25, 2018 12:51 AM

if only...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 26, 2018 2:40 PM

I really love Hercules, especially the score. I still don’t get why that one wasn’t a bigger hit.

by Anonymousreply 70April 28, 2018 2:06 PM

Hand drawn hands down. Lady and the Tramp.

by Anonymousreply 71April 28, 2018 2:15 PM

My favourite is Aladdin, then Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. I suspect these are my favourites because they came out when I was a child. I think that is true for many in this thread. I still feel pangs of nostalgia when I think of them.

I did not connect as deeply with the films that came afterwards. Except perhaps The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I cried so much when everyone was mistreating Quasimodo, that my eyes were red and puffy at the end, foreshadowing the bleeding heart I would grow up to be.

by Anonymousreply 72April 28, 2018 2:37 PM

Watched, "Fantasia" at least once a year as a kid, so I have a soft spot for it.:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 28, 2018 2:55 PM

Hercules anyone? I would watch that one every day on VHS as a kid lmao

by Anonymousreply 74April 28, 2018 3:02 PM

I started tuning out with the new era of Disney animated musicals like Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid. The artwork was not up to snuff.

by Anonymousreply 75April 28, 2018 3:16 PM

R75 = Eldergay👴🏻

by Anonymousreply 76April 28, 2018 11:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!