Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bad Plastic Surgery

What causes it? I’m a female in my mid-40s and friends are injecting left and right but I don’t want to look like Hunter Tylo, etc. I really want to avoid that “puffy” look that a lot of aging actresses seem to have. Is that filler in certain places, like cheeks, or even cheek implants? I know lip filler has destroyed many a face (Meg Ryan) but I would think the filler would go away over time, yet her face still looks as strange. Any plastic insight?

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2018 6:41 PM

What causes bad plastic surgery? Bad plastic surgeons with no ethics (who will do whatever the client demands) or who lack the artistry to know what makes someone beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1April 22, 2018 2:25 PM

No filler, no implants. I think you have to go the old fashioned route, facelift with the ensuing downtime.

by Anonymousreply 2April 22, 2018 2:27 PM

Either botox or just straight-on facelifts are really the only options that ever seem to look good - all the fillers, injections seem to just look odd.

by Anonymousreply 3April 22, 2018 2:31 PM

I am female (50, but I'll admit to 41), and seriously considering a face lift.

It's just so difficult to find a truly good surgeon, because no one who's had good surgery will admit to it, much less give you a recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 4April 22, 2018 6:30 PM

a stitch in time saves nine. that's what they say.

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2018 6:47 PM

R4 That’s how I feel! How in the world are you supposed to find a good surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2018 7:09 PM

R4: You might start by looking up the Chief of Plastic and Maxofillial Surgery at Man's Greatest Hospital in Boston. Then call for an appointment for which there is about a six month wait.

Or do what my mother did and lie in the other direction. Tell them you're 60 and they'll say "Jesus, you look GOOD." Cheaper, way less painful, and you don't have to stay home for six weeks.

by Anonymousreply 7April 22, 2018 7:49 PM

[quote]Bad Plastic Surgery. What causes it?

Bad luck.

by Anonymousreply 8April 22, 2018 7:54 PM

Why are necks the most difficult part?

by Anonymousreply 9April 22, 2018 7:57 PM

Go to RealSelf.com for recs. Stay away from cheek/face fillers. Study bad plastic surgery pics for knowledge of what to avoid. Any surgery that lifts the brows is usually a giveaway of terrible work. Go slow. Begin with Botox and move on to upper and lower eye lifts, if you need that. Botox is great, as is lip filler, limited to one vial per treatment. And beware - it's addictive. Over time, you forget you ever had corrugator lines and thin wrinkled lips. Estheticians have told me the only reason women stop is they can no longer afford it.

by Anonymousreply 10April 22, 2018 10:21 PM

Maybe get some self esteem and don't buy into societal pressures of what women are 'meant' to look like

by Anonymousreply 11April 22, 2018 10:26 PM

Why was plastic surgery so much more successful in the 1960s and 1970s?

Actresses in their 50s and 60s like Loretta Young, Ingrid Bergman, Olivia de Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Irene Dunne, Lauren Bacall, Jennifer Jones, even Lana fucking Turner, all had work done but they looked natural and they still looked like themselves. I'll leave the heaviest smokers/drinkers like Joan Crawford, Bette Davis and Ava Gardner out of this.

I trace the trouble back to when Barbara Hershey had her lips plumped up in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 12April 22, 2018 10:34 PM

r12, because those are celebrities that just wanted to look like a younger version of themselves and had just a face lift, or maybe a nose bob. Now you can change pretty much everything-jaw, chin, cheekbones, eyeshape (the Koreans even have a procedure to make you taller by lengthening your shin bones), and people will bring in photos to look like other people, rather than themselves.

Fillers are the devil- everything looks puffy. You're puffing up under lax skin, so it just looks weird.

by Anonymousreply 13April 22, 2018 11:04 PM

You have to have an angry, artistic, dermatologist who will refuse to do what he thinks is ugly. Mine is a moody guy but if you try to force him to “a little more” here or there, he will say, “you’re not putting my name on that face”.

I never argue with him. He is a cosmetic dermatologist but is very conservative. A real rarity.

by Anonymousreply 14April 22, 2018 11:09 PM

Thw puffy face is the “nonsurgical facelift,” which involves just squirting the face with fillers until all the wrinkles are smoothed out. It looks like a subdermal infection to me. And it has to be more expensive than a real facelift over time, since fillers have to be replaced every 6-8 months. I believe Meg Ryan’s lips were silicone implants, not injectables. Same with Lisa Rinna.

Real facelifts look much better, but the procedure is gruesome and it can be risky.

“Bad plastic surgery” can be the result of a poorly trained surgeon, poor facilities, or just your body’s own ability to heal and how your face ultimately accepts the changes. It’s not a matter of how much you pay; plenty of fabulously wealthy people who go to “the best doctors” look mutilated and would look much better as elderly human beings than as sideshow freaks. You can’t really predict how well your body will take to the traumas of the knife and sutures.

by Anonymousreply 15April 22, 2018 11:12 PM

Op Forget it. Be true to yourself and don't wind up looking like a generic plastic surgery patient. Eat well, uses a skin tightener, and have plenty of sex.

by Anonymousreply 16April 22, 2018 11:12 PM

Once I said “doc, you’re so talented, why can’t you make me look 20 again”? I was joking but he stared at me and said, “now you know that can never happen, right”? I told him I was joking and don’t go more than once in 2 years.

I suspect the other dermatologists let their patients dictate to them.

by Anonymousreply 17April 22, 2018 11:15 PM

I defy you to find a wrinkle on this face!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 22, 2018 11:15 PM

Step into my operating room and you won’t age a day...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 22, 2018 11:16 PM

Sorry, R17 is a follow up to R14

by Anonymousreply 20April 22, 2018 11:18 PM

She has a $300 million net worth, OP, and this is what her “best doctors” did to her. Just skip the surgery and take a couple of memorable vacations. Life is not about looking ageless unless you are an immortal succubus or a swimsuit model with a coke habit that has eaten up all her earnings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 22, 2018 11:20 PM

Sorry to keep posting these, but you need an intervention, OP. Best-case scenario is that you’ll turn out looking like a blandly attractive person who retains none of the character that your family and friends love. Why do you need to walk around looking like a magazine cover, or surprising people who think you’re eight years younger? Is that really going to improve the quality of your life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 22, 2018 11:23 PM

Bad Plastic Surgery

What causes it?

Gosh, OP. You have bigger problems than your aging dog face. Do we seem to give a shit about your inability to Google and your lazy demand for medical advice. A bit cunty in that "fags owe me" way you twats seem to have.

by Anonymousreply 23April 22, 2018 11:24 PM

OP Meg Ryan didn't just get fillers, she got a Gore-tex implant. Very different procedure and result.

You could always get a mini facelift which will leave the natural structure of your face without having to go under the muscle for a "deep plane" lift.

by Anonymousreply 24April 22, 2018 11:24 PM

OMFG, whatever you do, OP, do not let them touch your lips!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 22, 2018 11:27 PM

Op, here’s what I’ve seen in LA.

I went to a party and Cindy Crawford was standing in front of me and I did not recognize her. Bad plastic surgery. Jane Seymour looked like a tranny and this was 10 years ago. Her face is huge with her delicate beauty gone. So if you’re ok with a gruesome facelift and a long healing period, go for it. You truly won’t know what you will eventually look like.

I don’t want a facelift but if I got Winston Churchill jowls, I’d go to Garth Fisher in LA, so I’ll wait for the day I look like a bulldog. The cost for a doc like him can go to $40,000. I knew a bunch of his nurses and am a doctor myself. Look up Leslie Stevens but I don’t know much about his face work.

The Persian women here always look amazing as do the Koreans. But I can’t imagine why such beautiful actresses went to dogville. This is La after all and the worlds’ best surgeons are here but not the worlds’ best judgment. Don’t let vanity take over your good sense and decide carefully. If I remember any other stuff, I will post.

by Anonymousreply 26April 22, 2018 11:43 PM

I’m considering a nose bob

by Anonymousreply 27April 22, 2018 11:51 PM

Great responses, R13 and R15. Re the gruesome post-op after a deep plane facelift...it's hard, especially if you have had your neck done as well! But the truly bad part is only the first three days and after a week, you start to come right. It takes over a year for the whole thing to settle down. Is it worth it? Yes. It truly knocks at least 10 years off.

by Anonymousreply 28April 23, 2018 2:19 AM

Bad plastic surgery is caused by stupid women who have no self-esteem.

Try living in the real world. No one gives a fuck about your face.

by Anonymousreply 29April 23, 2018 2:23 AM

R7 why did you go to such odd lengths to say Dr. Yaremchuk?

by Anonymousreply 30April 23, 2018 2:28 AM

Also, just because he's at MGH / Harvard, etc... does not mean all of his patients are happy either. His work is also almost always on the subtle side, which is too subtle for some people.

Facelifts are no magic solution. Plenty of them are overdone or come out badly. It depends on what your problem is . If you have jowls, don't be like the idiots who inject filler next to their jowls and have huge & wide chins.... those people need a facelift. If you have big hollow areas, you need a doctor who will add filler (maybe your own fat or an implant) with the lift, if you also have lax skin. Your underlying bone structure is part of what will lead to a good result, aside from the surgeon. Midface lifts are often a bad and bizarre choice. That's part of what fucked up Melanie Griffith and Meg Ryan and you can't undo these procedures.

by Anonymousreply 31April 23, 2018 2:30 AM

I know this won't be a popular answer, but if you can't afford the best, don't do it. For a full face and neck lift you need to expect to pay top dollar. Dr. Brady in New York or someone similar. You just can't go cheap. AND you need to find someone who will augment your work JUDICOUSLY with fillers and NOT overfill.

by Anonymousreply 32April 23, 2018 2:30 AM

I paid a ton of money for "the best" nose surgeon 10+ years ago and he fucked up big time. The quotes I got on fixing it are between 10-25k...and only in the past few years. When I first had it done, nobody wanted to fix it because his techniques were too "innovative" (bizarre) and nobody knew what he did in there.

Paying 25k for a revision guarantees nothing. I saw a girl who went to my doc and got a 25k revision and she looks better but she traded one set of issues for another.

I never should've done it to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 33April 23, 2018 2:45 AM

I went to Dan Baker in NYC and my nondisclosure prevents me from saying what I paid but it was worth every motherfucking nickel. He not only made me look much younger but also much better. He's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 34April 23, 2018 3:34 AM

$40,000-$50,000 for a face lift? Yikes. That would be an amazing vacation instead.

by Anonymousreply 35April 23, 2018 4:16 AM

What about the risk of keloid scarring?

by Anonymousreply 36April 23, 2018 10:11 AM

All plastic surgery has to be refreshed at some point, nothing lasts forever especially PS. Do you really want to get on a train that you can't get off?

by Anonymousreply 37April 23, 2018 11:38 AM

You just never know how it’s going to work out over time. If her body had reacted differently to her surgery, Jane Fonda might have looked like Joan Rivers and we’d pity her for her disfigurement instead of admiring her “ageless beauty.” It’s the luck of the draw.

And bear in mind, OP, that a lot of surgeries go awry and can only ***possibly*** be improved upon with more surgery. Do you have just enough money for one major procedure? If you can’t afford three or four of the same procedure, and if the whole point of the procedure is to look better, then you probably can’t afford the gamble.

What’s amazing to me is that normal, or even homely people who are dissatisfied with their own appearances often end up paying to make themselves look like the monsters they’ve always felt they are. It’s really sad.

by Anonymousreply 38April 23, 2018 11:47 AM

It's a crapshoot and you never can be sure what the result would be. The best surgeons are very conservative, so that additional work can be done if necessary. That is not considered a correction, but it does involve additional expense and post-op pain. If you look at the "bad plastic surgery" link above, you will see that in every case, they have done what I recommended avoiding - surgery that lifts the brows, too much lip filler, and the use of facial fillers. For those banging on about self-esteem, self-acceptance, conforming to societal pressures etc - I bet you're British! Plastic surgery, well done, restores what the hands of time have taken away. It can bring happiness. Do your research, budget for the best you can, and begin slowly. If you start with minor tweaks in your 40s, you won't have to do drastic surgery later. And don't expect surgery to fix the damage you yourself have inflicted - sun baking, smoking, poor diet, excess weight gain (and subsequent weight loss).

by Anonymousreply 39April 23, 2018 3:04 PM

forget Beverly Hills, go to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where you will find the best plastic surgeons in the world. And unlike women like the Real Housewives of ???, who all look like the same person because their plastic surgeons all do the same technique, in Rio, less is more.

In Rio, those that go under the knife end up with a look natural and that looks real. Brazilian plastic surgeons have a different mindset.

my mom went to Rio and had the full-on works done: tummy tuck, lipo, eye lift, facelift, chin lift everything. she was in her late 40's. Today now 84, no one can believe it, she looks like a very healthy, elegant lady in her late 60's.

Also, its a bargain compared to American plastic surgeons.

by Anonymousreply 40April 23, 2018 4:35 PM

Cheek filler is just so hit and miss. If rich Hollywood actresses can't get it done right, there's no hope for the average person. It does seem to work for a while in the late thirties and early forties, but starts to look ridiculous at 50. It really should just be used for subtle volume replacement.

by Anonymousreply 41April 23, 2018 5:17 PM

But don't those fillers eventually either dissolve or 'migrate'?

by Anonymousreply 42April 23, 2018 6:31 PM

I'd rather see a pretty new face come out of a trailer than a wrinkled old bitch in a mansion. Priorities. Sell your house if you have to. Cash in the 401k. Credit credit credit. Just fix your deformities, aka aging.

by Anonymousreply 43April 23, 2018 6:38 PM

R30

Didn't work, either. Jay Austen. Because I've been in his waiting room enough and seen his cosmetic work and because I think he's God. He did the migraine surgery through the eyelids on my bf which worked: he hasn't had one since he came out of the ether five years ago. Saved his (quality of) life. Amazing level of post-op care, too.

You're right, though, even if you're thinking of the other guy. Austen goes for subtle (this is Boston, after all; not LA, not Atlanta, not Dallas) and you're right again: not all of his patients are happy. Not all of his patients are realistic, either. You pays your money and you takes your chances. I'm not R43. If it were me (and it won't be - the potential risks outweigh any possible gains), I'd take my chances with the top doc at one of the best teaching hospitals in the world. It's not just your face or your boobs; it's your life.

by Anonymousreply 44April 23, 2018 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 24, 2018 4:20 AM

^^OOPS wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 46April 24, 2018 4:21 AM

I think many of these women just end up going to a bad doctor or push their injector for more volume. I imagine actresses, in particular, must get a bit desperate as the roles dry up. Many of them have probably been using fillers and botox, with good results, for 10+ years, so they get to a point when they lose touch with reality and what looks normal.

by Anonymousreply 47July 18, 2018 3:32 PM

"Why was plastic surgery so much more successful in the 1960s and 1970s?"

Because in those days they only pulled the skin. Since then they pull the muscle and the skin, hence the plastic look. Looks worse but lasts longer.

Two relatives of mine had facelifts done by one of the "best" surgeons in NYC (below). I DID NOT like the results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 18, 2018 3:45 PM

Bad plastic surgery most often seems to be the result of over-aggressive surgery where they try to do too much, too quickly, whether it's actual cutting and sewing or fillers and implants.

The folks who seem to look the best are the ones who do a very little bit at a time over longer periods, rather than trying to get rid of 20 years all at once. However, even folks who do a little at a time seem to increase that over time until it reaches clownish proportions. Second, weight loss or gain will have an odd impact on such surgeries. You should try to be at a stable weight that you can maintain.

Also, don't forget the neck if you're having work done on your face - a dead giveaway.

Say what you will about Tom Cruise. He's had the best work among men - clearly relative statement. Among women, I'd have to go with Christie Brinkley.

by Anonymousreply 49July 18, 2018 3:46 PM

What causes bad plastic surgery, OP?

Getting it.

I'm glad I've aged so gracefully without any at all.

by Anonymousreply 50July 18, 2018 3:53 PM

If you are in NY, look up which ever doctor worked on the NY soap actresses. Linda Dano, Erika Slezak, Robin Strasser, Susan Lucci all had great work done over the years.

by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2018 4:11 PM

Be wary of those pushing Botox. I had it several times over the period of two years and yes, it’s easy to get addicted to the results, wanting to push the envelope a little further.

Then I developed a reaction to it, thought I was going to die. The Dr AND the manufacturer suggested I never do it again.

The problem with most Dermos here (Toronto) is that they are supplementing their income by pushing fillers and Botox - and not necessarily qualified to be injecting.

I think I’d go to Brazil or perhaps Korea to have something done. Getting a little jowly, but still not to the point of being cut yet.

by Anonymousreply 52July 18, 2018 4:17 PM

I only did Botox. It made me look WORSE because while it eliminated wrinkles in forehead and around eyes, all the skin drooped down my eyelids so I looked constantly tired. Lesson learned - stick with some dermabrasion and healthy eating

by Anonymousreply 53July 18, 2018 5:17 PM

I once read an interview with a wealthy LA socialite who was aging very natuurally, and she was asked why so many of the women she knew used plastic surgery and Botox and fillers when the results loooked so awful. She said that they were doing it not because they necessarily thought they looked better but because they wanted to signal to one another they knew they were agin and they were TRYING to do something about it. That was an interesting take.

I have a wealthy ex who lives in England who has Botox injected and he just looks bizarre. His face looks like it is made of wax. Everyone knows he's 50, and it just looks bizarre that he doesn't have any wrinkles whatsoever. It doesn't look natural.

by Anonymousreply 54July 18, 2018 5:44 PM

My man is 52 and has not one wrinkle, but he's a latino and caramel colored, so...

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2018 12:56 AM

R54

Was he more Man on the Left or Man on the Right?

It's just weird when you have a face that's smoother than a baby's ass and a neck that looks like a turkey's wattle.

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2018 2:14 AM

"Bad Plastic Surgery

What causes it? "

Doctors. Also, when you create an entire global dissatisfaction with your appearance industry, there's going to be casualties.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2018 2:18 AM

Off the subject, but I wanna address something R26 said- Regarding Persian and by extension Middle Eastern Women some of the most Gorgeous creatures on the planet? Incredibly ironic given that most are covered up by such oppressive garb that none except the closest relatives will ever know.

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2018 3:15 AM

^ Thread killer.

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2018 5:43 PM

Have all your cosmetic surgery done in Nicaragua ... you will be very satisfied !!

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2018 6:29 PM

Getting a face you didn't really want is not bad plastic surgery, OP. That's just the risk you take. Don't get too much plastic surgery. That's the part of it you can control.

Bad plastic surgery is when your hip implants develop problems and you develop infections that require your hips to be re-opened surgically, the implants removed, and the infected flesh be debrided. Then there is the protracted healing period. THAT is bad plastic surgery.

Why not just avoid the whole thing? Own your face. Own your age.

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2018 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!