Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Benedict Cumberbatch calls Martin Freeman pathetic

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 10, 2018 8:10 PM

Martin should be grateful he’s gotten the work.

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2018 2:18 PM

Why do actors take their petty squabbles public? It never ends well.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2018 2:19 PM

Team Martin here

by Anonymousreply 3April 21, 2018 2:22 PM

r1 Agreed. And he has the gall to say that after the nepotistic shit he pulled, having his ugly wife star on the show as well.

by Anonymousreply 4April 21, 2018 2:24 PM

[quote]Martin should be grateful he’s gotten the work.

Martin's done very well. He was Bilbo in The Hobbit trilogy. He's in The Black Panther. It's Cumberbitch that should be grateful for the work.

by Anonymousreply 5April 21, 2018 2:26 PM

That fourth season of Sherlock was an embarrassment, not sure why they'd think about doing a fifth.

by Anonymousreply 6April 21, 2018 2:27 PM

Agreed. F**k a Cumberbatch!

by Anonymousreply 7April 21, 2018 2:27 PM

R5 is Martin!

by Anonymousreply 8April 21, 2018 2:28 PM

r6 Truly abysmal; couldn't believe what I was watching.

by Anonymousreply 9April 21, 2018 2:31 PM

Martin should give William Shatner a call.

by Anonymousreply 10April 21, 2018 2:34 PM

Team Cumberbitch.

by Anonymousreply 11April 21, 2018 2:34 PM

Let's also not forget Freeman's borderline homophobic fit over those fans who were shipping the two leads together.

Cut to twenty years from now and him signing gay Sherlock fans' butts. Nothing would make me happier if this ungrateful bitch did end up like Shatner.

by Anonymousreply 12April 21, 2018 2:37 PM

How will the shipping fangirls deal with this? Say it's a "smokescreen" to hide their love?

by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2018 2:45 PM

Cumberbatch was telling a story about a dumb American on the latest Graham Norton show. He stopped and looked at Matt LeBlanc, another guest on the couch, and said "Sorry, I'm not implying all Americans are dumb." Matt said "What? I wasn't listening." Perfect comeback.

by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2018 3:12 PM

r14, do you know what the story was?

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2018 3:21 PM

I gave up on Sherlock five minutes into The Abominable Bride. What a piece of shit!

by Anonymousreply 16April 21, 2018 5:30 PM

Matt LeBlanc is so much cooler than both them put together.

by Anonymousreply 17April 21, 2018 5:35 PM

Keep posting those useless daily mail links.

by Anonymousreply 18April 21, 2018 5:39 PM

What a whiny bitch. Most actors would KILL to be on a show like Sherlock, which is an international hit and gets tons of press.

by Anonymousreply 19April 21, 2018 6:01 PM

Napoleon syndrome

by Anonymousreply 20April 21, 2018 6:06 PM

R14, he was relating a story about making a movie in New York City. He told someone (American) he was going into a "cafe" to avoid the paparazzi. For some unfunny reason he felt the need to explain to the American what the word "cafe" meant. The point of the story was I think to make fun of the way Americans speak. The only part that got a laugh was LeBlanc's statement. Whenever I watch shows about the Brits in Essex or Benidorm, I think "How can anyone in that country make fun of the way people in other countries speak?"

by Anonymousreply 21April 21, 2018 7:25 PM

I know. I’m always reading and hearing people from the UK talk about how dumb Americans are, then I see the drunk, fat chav girls lying in their own puke while wearing too-tight sleeveless micro dresses in 30 degree (F) weather as their friends stand by shoveling great wads of kebab down their throats. Now that’s class, wit and style, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 21, 2018 7:51 PM

Charrrrrmmmming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 21, 2018 7:52 PM

Girls, girls, you're BOTH egomaniacal ungrateful cunts!

by Anonymousreply 24April 21, 2018 8:00 PM

Isn’t Freeman known for being a bit of an asshole?

I don’t know anything about Cumberbatch’s reputation.

by Anonymousreply 25April 21, 2018 8:14 PM

Has Freeman a new woman since he dumped whatsherface?

by Anonymousreply 26April 21, 2018 8:24 PM

r21 I dreamed I had to explain to Benedict Cumberbatch who Charlie Chaplin was; Cumberbatch had never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 27April 21, 2018 8:32 PM

Martin Freeman is like Ellen DeGeneres: the public sees him as lovable and sweet, but in reality he's a nasty, petty, and insecure piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 28April 21, 2018 8:37 PM

Were Martin and Ben friends? Or did the fangirls ruin that friendship too?

by Anonymousreply 29April 21, 2018 8:42 PM

I don't think they were ever friends, but for several years now I've heard that they're getting on more poorly as their egos grow.

by Anonymousreply 30April 21, 2018 8:50 PM

They're both pathetic cunts but at least Martin looks like a human being as opposed to one of the Muppets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 21, 2018 8:51 PM

It does seem like Freeman’s ego is getting the better of him. Loads of actors would give their right arm just to be in work. He should STFU and go bank his undoubtedly over-inflated salary. He’s not that big a deal.

by Anonymousreply 32April 21, 2018 9:02 PM

Well, he said Freeman's comments were pathetic, not Freeman himself (the Daily Mail's headlines aren't know for their accuracy).

That aside, Freeman's comments were pretty damn poor. He said the reaction of disappointed fans to the last series ruined his own experience with it. Criticism comes with the territory as an actor, why wouldn't you just ignore it? He's a veteran actor, not new to the business, and the fans aren't responsible for showmaking.

by Anonymousreply 33April 21, 2018 9:06 PM

Careful, Benedict. Martin will try to feel you up like he felt me up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 21, 2018 9:10 PM

I haven't watched a minute of this Sherlock show.

Freeman is a Luvvie and a member of the England's Crazy Corbyn political party.

Cumberbatch is an uber-Luvvie millionaire SJW who says England should import hordes of medieval freeloaders yet he refuses to have any in his own house.

by Anonymousreply 35April 21, 2018 10:57 PM

r35 he DID consider it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 21, 2018 10:59 PM

I never liked the Sherlock series (only watched the first installment). It was too hectic and made for people with ADHD. It was slightly better than the awful Robert Downey Jr. movie.

by Anonymousreply 37April 21, 2018 11:39 PM

The first time i noticed Freeman was during that fantastic first season of Fargo so I always see him as that smily narcissistic asshole character. He put in a damn good performance. Perhaps he wanted to please is fans and contribute quality work like the fist few seasons of Sherlock, in that context falling out of favor with a job makes sense if you're being delivered crap.

Yeah it sounds ungrateful, and there are other people that would love to work on the worst season of Sherlock, but even my average job had candidates that weren't hired in my place but that doesn't mean I cant grow tired of my job.

by Anonymousreply 38April 21, 2018 11:57 PM

I couldn’t make it through the first episode. I couldn’t believe it became an international sensation, so I forced myself to watch a few episodes. They turned Irene Adler, a smart, talented American opera singer, into a naked dominatrix who took her orders from Moriarty. Mrs Hudson was turned into an ex-stripper who followed her husband around while he ran a drug cartel. I sensed a trend. Ladies were meant to be naked and dependent on men.

It was too stupid.

Then they went and turned Mary into some super ninja CIA assassin, I guess to make up for the other female, dependent portrayals.

I saw an part of an episode that was set at Christmas time in which it was obvious that the actress playing Mary was not in the same room with the other actors. You can tell her scenes were shot before or after the scenes featuring the other actors. Maybe she had another show to do. At any rate, she’s talking to someone else and scenes of Freeman and others were spliced to fit in.

by Anonymousreply 39April 22, 2018 12:08 AM

I never understood why people got so upset with Martin's comments. Is it really abmormal to not be as excited about doing something when the reception of it was universally bad? What's cotroversial about that thinking? If people shit on what you are doing would you be in a rush to do more? I wouldn't. I don't follow Freeman so I don't know if he's said shitty stuff in the past, but those comment's that he said don't seem like that big a deal to me. Am I missing other stuff he has said?

by Anonymousreply 40April 22, 2018 12:09 AM

R36 How typical of these Armchair SJWs like him (and Emma Thompson and that Harry Potter woman) who "consider" something and then expect the taxpayers in the working class area to put up with the overcrowding and reduced services.

by Anonymousreply 41April 22, 2018 12:13 AM

They’re both tedious bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 22, 2018 12:15 AM

I assume he’s referring to the bugfuck nuts American straight women who attacked people because the show didn’t end with Holmes and Watson boning? In which case I have some sympathy for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 22, 2018 12:23 AM

Any new gossip about Benedict?

by Anonymousreply 44April 22, 2018 12:27 AM

r36, thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 45April 22, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote]Martin's done very well. He was Bilbo in The Hobbit trilogy. He's in The Black Panther. It's Cumberbitch that should be grateful for the work.

Cumberbatch is an Oscar nominee.

He's been much more successful than Freeman.

by Anonymousreply 46April 22, 2018 7:34 AM

They both have pretty similar careers actually.

Cumberbatch was very hot for about a year and a half but he got greedy and did roles he had no business doing and he was in a lot of dogs.

Cumberbatch really only has Dr. Strange to fall back on at this point.

Also: lots of people have Oscar nominations and wins. Doesn't mean they're better or more successful than ones who don't.

Cuba Gooding Jr. anyone?

by Anonymousreply 47April 22, 2018 7:43 AM

"Isn’t Freeman known for being a bit of an asshole? "

Oh yes - and for a long time. It's not just since the Holmes thing. Friends work in tv - writing, production and crew.

"Humourless" and "up himself" is the general opinion.

"Little Man Syndrome" has been used.

by Anonymousreply 48April 22, 2018 12:51 PM

Martin Freeman won a BAFTA for Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch gets no love in his own country, having never won a BAFTA. Both have won Emmys for Sherlock.

by Anonymousreply 49April 22, 2018 12:52 PM

[quote] "Isn’t Freeman known for being a bit of an asshole? "

Name one actor who isn't a bit of an asshole. It's part of the job description.

by Anonymousreply 50April 22, 2018 12:53 PM

R5 - plus he was in The Office.

by Anonymousreply 51April 22, 2018 1:08 PM

Martin was great in Fargo

by Anonymousreply 52April 22, 2018 1:08 PM

Cumberbitch lives two streets away from me. He tried to build some ridiculous big shed in his back garden but everyone objected and he backed down.

by Anonymousreply 53April 22, 2018 1:08 PM

I loved this film and Benedict's performance in this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 22, 2018 1:10 PM

McAvoy and Cumberbatch in Starter for 10 (2006)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 22, 2018 1:14 PM

When does the Benedict Cumberbatch show (Patrick Melrose ) air?

by Anonymousreply 56April 22, 2018 1:15 PM

R56, it’s not The Benedict Cumberbatch Programme?

by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2018 1:18 PM

Cumberbatch was in a drama I watched on PBS a couple weeks ago, about a missing child. I really liked it (one reason is that the script jumped from the child disappearing to a couple years later so it skipped all the really disturbing gut-wrenching stuff and focused on the aftermath.) anyway, Cumberbatch somehow looked less bizarre than he does in Sherlock. Not just the hair being tamed down, his face was less weasel-ish. Was it due to the camera lens used? He r looked quite normal.

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2018 2:00 PM

i enjoy martin's work more than the other guy, as holmes, cumberbitch sux

by Anonymousreply 59April 22, 2018 2:01 PM

Freeman is much more respected as an actor than cumberwitch

by Anonymousreply 60April 22, 2018 2:03 PM

"Freeman is much more respected as an actor than cumberwitch"

Okay, I'll bite...

By who?

by Anonymousreply 61April 22, 2018 3:35 PM

I used to like Martin Freeman, not so much anymore.

by Anonymousreply 62April 22, 2018 3:50 PM

I really liked Parade's End with Benedict Cumberbatch and Rebecca Hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 22, 2018 4:04 PM

I tried to watch Parade's End but it was pretty boring.

Cumberbatch was in a great three-part miniseries called The Ends of the Earth before he was really famous, and it was quite good. It's on Netflix Streaming.

by Anonymousreply 64April 22, 2018 4:14 PM

What is Patrick Melrose?

by Anonymousreply 65April 22, 2018 7:34 PM

Patrick Melrose is a mini-series based on Edward St. Aubyn’s scathingly funny, semi-autobiographical novels about an aristocratic English/American family. Patrick, the lead character, has been horribly abused by his sadistic father and complicit mother. There are truly epic drug and alcohol binges and a viciously funny party featuring Princess Margaret.

The series begins airing May 12th on Showtime. The clips look fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 66April 22, 2018 9:52 PM

[quote]Cumberbatch was in a great three-part miniseries called The Ends of the Earth before he was really famous, and it was quite good. It's on Netflix Streaming.

Cumberbatch shows his naked ass in 'The Ends of the Earth'.

by Anonymousreply 67April 22, 2018 10:44 PM

How anyone as fucking ugly as Cumberbatch is got a job as a leading man in the movie industry I'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 68April 22, 2018 11:06 PM

There's a ton of sources. Why in the hell would you choose the Daily Shitrag?

by Anonymousreply 69April 22, 2018 11:08 PM

They're both good actors, the kind of well-trained, versatile Brits who could keep working until their hair is white and the walker can be kept off-camera.

That's where Freeman seems headed, a long career as a reliable character actor, but Cumberbatch has tried to become a big star and that will probably do him more harm than good in the long run. In ten years, he'll be seen as more if a has-been than a go-to supporting actor. He'll end up like Hiddleston, if he's not careful.

by Anonymousreply 70April 22, 2018 11:20 PM

The first time I remember seeing Martin was in Love Actually. He wasn't bad but it wasn't a big part. His ego reminds me of Kenneth Branagh.

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2018 12:45 AM

They're both hideous and average actors at best. BOTH should be thanking Yahweh that they have any kind of success at all.

by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2018 1:04 AM

Thanks R66

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2018 2:37 PM

Cumberbitch looks like a burn victim.

by Anonymousreply 74April 23, 2018 2:40 PM

Benedict's mother, actress Wanda Ventham, was very attractive when she was younger:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 23, 2018 7:16 PM

Drink!

[quote]But the show itself, I’m well aware of its importance in my life, both professionally and personally, because I love the show. I’m a fan of the show. Unfortunately, that’s the joy of being quoted out of context, and joy of newspapers needing a headline, even though the headline is not something I ever said at any point in the interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 1, 2018 1:47 PM

They should just fuck and get it over with

by Anonymousreply 77May 1, 2018 1:54 PM

Quite frankly I don't even know what the controversy was over. If anyone had even bothered to read the original article with Freeman I thought he made his point very clear. I don't see anything wrong with saying that fan expectations can make something not fun. I don't know why everyone got all pissy.

by Anonymousreply 78May 1, 2018 9:44 PM

R75 Benedict has his mother's eyes

by Anonymousreply 79May 1, 2018 9:50 PM

r78 Because he said the shippers were the worst and got all pissy over it himself.

by Anonymousreply 80May 1, 2018 9:51 PM

R80 What is a shipper?

by Anonymousreply 81May 1, 2018 9:53 PM

R81 "Shipping" is a term for creating fanfiction, art, or other content involving a relationship between two fictional characters that are NOT in a relationship in the source material.

So creating content featuring Sherlock and Watson as a couple is shipping them

by Anonymousreply 82May 1, 2018 9:56 PM

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a relationship, romantic or otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 83May 1, 2018 9:59 PM

R82 Thank you.

(I haven't watched this silly TV show or that appalling Robert Downey version)

by Anonymousreply 84May 1, 2018 9:59 PM

It's been known that Martin Freeman is pathetic... for a loooooong time. And I'm no Cumberbatch fan.

by Anonymousreply 85May 1, 2018 10:51 PM

Shippers are fat, lonely unfuckable women who are obsessed with fictional characters.

by Anonymousreply 86May 2, 2018 12:36 AM

Benedict cumbershit not a typo is an overrated smug weasel looking Brit. I could care less about freeman.

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2018 2:10 AM

Martin Freeman is a really horrible person. He's just a piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2018 3:15 AM

Martin Freeman should thank God every day that a troll like him got to have such a great career. He's one lucky fuck and has no reason to be horrible to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2018 3:20 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 90December 10, 2018 8:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!