Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Critics are not feeling Amy Schumer's "I Feel Pretty"

A crappy 35% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 19, 2018 3:27 AM

It's what she deserves.gif

by Anonymousreply 1April 20, 2018 5:18 PM

I read one article that stated the INSIDE AMY SCHUMER skits that made her so popular are not the “real” her. Her standup is Basic Blonde Libertine White Girl. And her TV show had a writers room heaving with talent. So people who explectes great things of I FEEL PRETTY, or the Goldie Hawn movie, or are surprised by her asshattishness on social media or casual racism are giving her too much credit.

by Anonymousreply 2April 20, 2018 5:18 PM

I liked the Comedy Central show for the first two seasons. After that, not so much. I do not find her funny. At all. Finally, the YouTube video showing her having a paying audience member forcibly ejected from the venue just for yelling out some silly, goofy whatever in his excitement nailed the coffin shut for her in my eyes. The guy looked crushed. We already paid you, Amy. Run along now.....

by Anonymousreply 3April 20, 2018 6:24 PM

How many more of her 15 minutes does this cabbage patch doll have?

by Anonymousreply 4April 20, 2018 7:56 PM

It's predicted to open well below Schumer's two other starring vehicles Trainwreck and Snatched. How is that even possible for a wide release PG-13 film versus two R-rated comedies??

by Anonymousreply 5April 20, 2018 8:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 20, 2018 8:33 PM

She's a fucking asshole.

I'm liberal, I'm on board for all the causes. But sorry, when a comedian starts focusing on political stuff (and I'm not talking about satire) they cease to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 7April 20, 2018 8:38 PM

Please send her to Syria one way ticket fank you very much

by Anonymousreply 8April 20, 2018 8:48 PM

She's disgusting

by Anonymousreply 9April 20, 2018 8:59 PM

How long until she's divorced from the chef she married after a few months of dating? I heard her on Stern last week and from I can tell this movie takes itself too seriously. This is really just Shallow Hal but Amy and the writers seem to think they have a deep message movie.

by Anonymousreply 10April 20, 2018 9:08 PM

Honestly, she's had a good run, a really good run. At this point, I'd hope she'd understand that it's all gravy from here. Like her or not, she still has an audience who wants to see her do stand up, doesn't she?

by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2018 9:14 PM

It totally lifted the Shallow Hal concept.

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2018 9:15 PM

I loved Shallow Hal. It didn’t do well critically but I loved the message.

by Anonymousreply 13April 20, 2018 9:16 PM

I saw her in London at the O2 arena in 2016. I can't remember one things from she said. I vaguely remember some vagina references but couldn't recount one funny line. Total waste of an evening. Her opening act Rachel Feinstein was much better. I've seen much better female comics in tiny clubs, don't get the fuss or why they though she's be a big movie star. But Monique said Schumer got 17 million for a Netflix special so I hope she takes as much cash as she can get and then fades away.

by Anonymousreply 14April 20, 2018 9:20 PM

R91 here. Wrong thread. I'm not R90. He posted in the wrong thread, too.

by Anonymousreply 15April 20, 2018 9:29 PM

R15 here. Weird mix up with my iPad. No, I'm not high.

by Anonymousreply 16April 20, 2018 9:32 PM

She's fat, we hate her!

by Anonymousreply 17April 20, 2018 9:55 PM

[quote]But Monique said Schumer got 17 million for a Netflix special

A ridiculous amount, but people defended that by saying she had a huge audience. Well, obviously not, if your movies keep flopping.

Meanwhile Wanda Sykes was offered far less than Monique's low ball offer. Figure that one out.

by Anonymousreply 18April 20, 2018 10:02 PM

Never understand how or why she is famous. FUG and fat and vulgar. Not clever. A thousand funnier women out there and SHE gets famous? Why?

by Anonymousreply 19April 20, 2018 10:02 PM

R19 She must have put out for the right people. No talent, unfunny whore!

by Anonymousreply 20April 20, 2018 10:07 PM

See this instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 20, 2018 10:08 PM

I FEEL LIKE MISS PIGGY

by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2018 10:11 PM

R20, who would want her to put out?

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2018 10:15 PM

R23 A blind person?

But in all seriousness, we know that straight men are animals who think with their penis and will bang anything.

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2018 10:18 PM

R24 it sounds like you described gay men too.

by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2018 10:21 PM

One time, a couple of women went to see her movie... and they died.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2018 10:22 PM

Liked her on Comedy Central and in Trainwreck. Everything since then has been just awful.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2018 10:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2018 10:26 PM

Amy's reaction to reading what the DL thinks of her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2018 10:32 PM

Success kills comedy. Always. Amy wrote Trainwreck and it was dark and subversive and pretty good. Apatow insisted on the more conventional romcom ending that wasn't even her plan. Amy's comedy is kinda gross but it was already about female empowerment sexually and body positivity. Then she started getting awards, giving speeches and being invited to all the right parties. Once you're hanging out with Ellen, Steve Martin, Madonna and Jane Fonda, you might as well lie down and die. So she stars with Goldie Hawn in a not bad premise but monumentally dumb film and now this cheap message piece of crap. She sold out and fast. Demand better material. I Feel Pretty could have been raunchy and funny, a slutty embarrassment. That's what she does best. Get criticized and apologize. That's the wave she should ride. She hasn't the brains and integrity of Tina Fey or the inventiveness of Kristen Wiig or the commitment of Melissa McCarthy. But she's already rich and connected. She's weak. A lot of people prefer that.

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2018 10:56 PM

I don't get her rise at all, she's not very funny. What's her schtick, promiscuous immature blond?! How original! She acts like a college student, how old is she? Talk about arrested development!

It's obvious she's had a nose job, have you seen the real Schumer nose, her sister and cousin Chuck Schumer have their real noses.

I also don't enjoy self-depreciating comedy from women, especially women, who, deep down, think they are hot, same for male comedians who go on about how ugly they are, meanwhile they are attractive, STFU already! Go away Amy, your 15 minutes are up! NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2018 11:03 PM

I feel fat just looking at her.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2018 11:06 PM

R30 hits the nail on the head. Same thing happened to Kathy Griffin and imo Chris Rock. Can't say I blame them. I can't imagine getting a 17 million check, sitting in a Beverly Hills mansion with a staff of yes men around me and saying 'hand me my legal pad I need to write some comedy'. You lose touch with reality and then today you need new material all the time because everything goes online 15 seconds after you said it onstage. I don't think we'll ever have another Joan Rivers or Don Rickles. Comics will either make it as actors, become writers or directors or fade away and become a WHET.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2018 11:13 PM

R33 is correct.

So is R32

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2018 11:31 PM

R33 it makes me sad that after Joan's passing, we are left with Amy Schumer as far as mainstream female comics go. We live in a sad times.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2018 11:36 PM

[quote]She hasn't the brains and integrity of Tina Fey or the inventiveness of Kristen Wiig or the commitment of Melissa McCarthy.

Integrity? Did you miss those Garnier commercials? Fey would shill Bladder Pads if the price was right.

And what commitment does McCarthy have? She plays the same fat diesel dyke in every movie.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2018 11:41 PM

Yes, integrity and commitment. I am not about to argue with a discontented moron R36. Enjoy your cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 37April 20, 2018 11:47 PM

NONE of these current bitches can hold a candle to Sandra Bernhard. You want integrity and commitment, the bitch held her own with Pryor. First movie out was a Scorsese production that won her accolades. She's been BFF's with Madonna and every fashion designer in the biz. Every single stand up tour is a current reflection on the state of mainstream culture from an outsider looking in. She's been on the cusp of superstardom for decades but never shattering that glass ceiling because it was never on HER terms. . She was offered the reality show that made Kathy Griffin a star, but she turned it down, because she felt it would be a betrayal of everything she had achieved. Now she's making millions hosting her own radio show on Sirius.

THAT'S how you do a career and still remain edgy and cool after forty years in the biz. Don't embarrass yourselves with trying to puff up banal mediocrity. Learn from a true original on how it's done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 20, 2018 11:53 PM

I Feel Pretty Disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 39April 20, 2018 11:55 PM

Is "I FEEL PRETTY" the title of the movie or the affirmations that butt-ugly Amy Schumer screams to herself in the mirror each morning?

by Anonymousreply 40April 21, 2018 12:01 AM

R38 I listen to Sandyland everyday. I really enjoy her. Is she really making millions at Sirius though?

First time I saw Schumer doing standup I thought she was reading from one of Chelsea Handler's books. Some tale about diarrhea and a one night stand that I definitely read in one of Chelsea's books. Kathleen Madigan is a great touring comic who I see whenever she's in town but she never made it on TV.

by Anonymousreply 41April 21, 2018 12:04 AM

She is ugly. She is obese. She is very ugly. She is unlikable. She is not funny. She is 45 if she is a day. Her vagina emits dreadful odours. She has absolutely no talent. Her relatives are ugly. Remember, vulgarity is no substitute for wit.

I want my $17 million back.

by Anonymousreply 42April 21, 2018 12:32 AM

John Cena should get an Oscar for playing her b.f. in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 43April 21, 2018 12:35 AM

Ha ha ha

by Anonymousreply 44April 21, 2018 12:38 AM

Monique also said Chris Rock got 20 or 25 million from Netlix. I get he's famous but he's well past his prime. We saw him last year at the Cellar and oh my. People were laughing because he's Chris Rock and not because he's funny- which only encourages him unfortunately. He screamed into the mic for 25 minutes about divorce making no real sense and it all had a 'women are bitches ammirite' undertone which is rich considering his actions broke up his marriage and I couldn't care less if a multi millionaire has to send some child support. He too was at his prime when he was the plucky red lobster waiter we could all relate to.

by Anonymousreply 45April 21, 2018 12:45 AM

Hi Sandra/r38!

by Anonymousreply 46April 21, 2018 1:03 AM

Right r46? I think that really is Sandra!! I've listened to her radio show and the post is very much her voice.

by Anonymousreply 47April 21, 2018 1:06 AM

Sandra is friends with Chrissie Hynde & Belinda Carlisle - she's way cool. Cooler than that idiot Roseanne Barr who cannot write comedy for shit.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2018 1:08 AM

^^ Is your upcoming Roseanne appearance that bad Sandy?

by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2018 1:14 AM

I definitely do not want to feel her 'I feel pretty'

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2018 1:25 AM

this is why I miss Joan; she was a legend living in our time.

I saw her in person at the North Shore Music Circus in Massachusetts when I was 18 or 19.

She said over the speaker that everyone was in for a great show that night "because the [italic] South [/italic] Shore Music Circus has SHIT tonight!"

Comics today? Forget it.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2018 1:35 AM

Has anyone here actually seen the picture? It’s laugh out loud funny and actually quite moving. And she hits all the right notes as an actress. She’s definitely got the chops.

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2018 2:04 AM

R38 is that minstrel show clip an example of her being funny?

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2018 3:01 AM

R52 is Chuck Schumer

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2018 3:11 AM

[quote] Has anyone here actually seen the picture? It’s laugh out loud funny and actually quite moving. And she hits all the right notes as an actress. She’s definitely got the chops.

Shut the Fuck up Amy! Go away, you're not welcome here. Be gone!

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2018 4:06 AM

[quote] this is why I miss Joan; she was a legend living in our time.

I saw her in person at the North Shore Music Circus in Massachusetts when I was 18 or 19.

She said over the speaker that everyone was in for a great show that night "because the South Shore Music Circus has SHIT tonight!"

Comics today? Forget it.

I miss Joan too R51, dearly. And I'm a fellow Masshole who actually saw Joan perform years ago at the South Shore Tent! LOL

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2018 4:09 AM

I don’t think one can stay “on the cusp of superstardom” for decades. I think at that point, one has to acknowledge where they actually are. Sandra Bernhardt kind of peaked in the ‘80s/early 90s but I think is a welcome presence when she appears. The “obnoxious Jew with an attitude” is a bit one note but she always feels like a distant relation of Fran Lebowitz, which isn’t a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 57April 21, 2018 4:56 AM

Imagine Joan in the age of Trump. She would be MERCILESS. Melania must thank her lucky stars every day that Joan is dead.

by Anonymousreply 58April 21, 2018 4:59 AM

R52 meant to say pork chops. Amy stopped by the butcher on the way in today. She's good for errands but not much else.

by Anonymousreply 59April 21, 2018 5:05 AM

I never even thought Trainwreck was any good. It was a so-so concept that wasn’t very well executed - Tilda walked away with the entire movie. The idea that Bill Hader and John Cena (!) would be turned on by the likes of Amy Schumer, much less want to stick their dicks in her, was preposterous. It just got worse and worse. That awful treacle about her father, played by Colin Quinn, those awful scenes with Brie Larson (who just goes from one shit film to another, when she should really just focus on musical theatre - especially after her near legendary performance as Mrs. Lovett at Kansas City Rep). But Amy should’ve been forced to leave show business after that gawd awful Netflix special which would be severe punishment even for that murderous nanny. I suspect she’ll go away now as the myth of her talent has been completely debunked. The only thing worse than delusion that she’s pretty is her delusion that she’s a capable dramatic actress. People need to stop humouring her. They should fumigate her instead.

by Anonymousreply 60April 21, 2018 5:17 AM

R41 Schumer has been rumored to be a joke thief. She has stolen (I believe it) from Wendy Liebman, Tammy Pescatelli, and Kathleen Madigan. Even from the late Patrice O'Neal. Amy is a sociopath. Same dead eyes as Jennifer Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 61April 21, 2018 6:01 AM

I know everybody always talks about her body being so grotesque but I always felt like it wasn't that bad. Her face is the real problem.

by Anonymousreply 62April 21, 2018 6:18 AM

I loved Sandra Bernhard in the 80s and 90s. Her appearances on David Letterman are worth checking out on youtube. She's got some great scenes in Inside Monkey Zetterland during her peak.

But she doesn't seem to have the same stream of consciousness, in-the-moment comedic style anymore. She has become pretty serious overall.

by Anonymousreply 63April 21, 2018 6:26 AM

I saw it a testing screen several months back. I thought it was better than Snatched. Michelle Williams was quite funny in her role as the baby voiced fashion CEO.

by Anonymousreply 64April 21, 2018 6:53 AM

R58, Joan was a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 65April 21, 2018 8:51 AM

She still would’ve had a go at Melania - after the rehearsed plagiarism? She could’ve been a Never-Trumper.

by Anonymousreply 66April 21, 2018 9:35 AM

I’m not sure appearing in Inside Monkey Zetterland can be considered a peak.

by Anonymousreply 67April 21, 2018 9:35 AM

Shallow Hal was a charming movie.

by Anonymousreply 68April 21, 2018 10:05 AM

I just realized that Amy Schumer is what Gwyneth Paltrow would look like if she didn’t starve herself. Same exact facial features!

by Anonymousreply 69April 21, 2018 10:23 AM

She probably IS a capable dramatic actress, nearly all comedians are.

by Anonymousreply 70April 21, 2018 10:33 AM

She made me hate Jennifer Lawrence and I was a big fan up until Catching Fire.

by Anonymousreply 71April 21, 2018 10:40 AM

She must pay her PR team a gazillion dollars. Every time I watch ET, which isn't often, there's Amy. Mugging like a chimp for a banana.

by Anonymousreply 72April 21, 2018 10:46 AM

"She could’ve been a Never-Trumper. "

But she wasn't, Blanche.

She wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 73April 21, 2018 11:54 AM

Schumer is funny IMO. But not weird enough or a risk taker. Not a comedy genius. Sandra Bernhard, mentioned above, was eccentric and took many risks. Didn't rake in the cash like basic bitch Schumer.

by Anonymousreply 74April 21, 2018 12:31 PM

Enough with the Sandra Bernhard bullshit. She was a fame whore and a major hanger-on in the 80's. Quit trying to make her out to be some above-it-all talent who would not sing (God help us, please don't sing) for her supper.

As for Amy, she's feeling the heat from Trump supporters and gun rights activists who have boycotted everything she does. She made this comment on The View last week - the topic begins at 6:52. (The audio is out of sync but it's clear.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 21, 2018 2:42 PM

Oh please. Her career isn't in the shitter because of Republicans. It's struggling because many people just don't find her interesting or plain funny. What a lame ass excuse.

Joan Rivers worked because she put herself down first and foremost. She could slam others but she was hardest on herself. Amy desperately wants the world to recognize her as some glamorous sex symbol while trying to slam the Kardashians as vapid famewhores. It doesn't work. And the whole "being as dirty as the boys" routine is played out. Even Sarah Silverman has moved on to doing more intellectual thinkpieces.

by Anonymousreply 76April 21, 2018 3:02 PM

Amy doesn't slam the K's she's friends with them.

I have always thought Amy stole Sarah Silverman's act. Sarah's main thing was doing a character that was stupid and bigoted. She also did vagina jokes and inappropriate humor (rape joke got her in trouble). Amy did the same character but with a far heavier dose of vagina and gross out humor. Amy has never let Sarah's name come out of her mouth when talking about other female comics. Sarah, being the cool broad that she is, has never mentioned how similar Amy's approach is to her own.

I liked Amy to begin with but she hasn't grown as a comic. She needs to take time to find her own comedic voice. One thing I will give her credit for though, she called out the fact that women get a lot of hate. From looking at media and society, men (and some women), express a lot of white hot hate for females. I see that degree of hate coming at her in this thread. There's something about her that draws some intense attack from people which is mirrored in the general attitude men have towards women. I wish her the best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2018 3:46 PM

Good assessment, great post R77.

by Anonymousreply 78April 21, 2018 7:26 PM

R76, believe me, Conservatives hate her and the nail in the coffin was when she spoke out about gun control. They have targeted her and it's working. Whether or not you feel her career would have been at this point without the boycott, well, that's your right, but please don't ignore a large part of the moviegoing public who refuse to see her films because of her political leanings.

by Anonymousreply 79April 21, 2018 8:11 PM

Too bad Joan did not live to see Trump Become president!

by Anonymousreply 80April 21, 2018 8:12 PM

Amy apologizes for making this movie while white.

"I don't know that the country really has an appetite to hear the story of a white, blond woman with a belly," she admitted. "I get it. I personally feel woken up about inequality for women and people of color in a way I didn't before seeing 'Get Out' and 'Hamilton' and 'Atlanta' — and all these police shootings and the election. I thought things had gotten better. But I had no idea. I just grew up thinking everybody was equal, and that's not enough. I need to do something, otherwise I'm just part of the problem."

by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2018 9:16 PM

She is so gross

by Anonymousreply 82April 21, 2018 9:20 PM

She is the definition of "butterface."

by Anonymousreply 83April 21, 2018 9:22 PM

r38? Please. Sandra Bernhard was never, ever going to be a mainstream star no matter what she did.

by Anonymousreply 84April 21, 2018 9:37 PM

Sandra can sing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 21, 2018 10:05 PM

[quote] "I get it. I personally feel woken up about inequality for women and people of color in a way I didn't before seeing 'Get Out' and 'Hamilton' and 'Atlanta' — and all these police shootings and the election. I thought things had gotten better. But I had no idea. I just grew up thinking everybody was equal, and that's not enough. I need to do something, otherwise I'm just part of the problem."

😂😂😂😂

She’s so full of shit. And she doesn’t even have the kind of thicc body black people love, she’s just lumpen.

by Anonymousreply 86April 21, 2018 10:21 PM

I don't get her beyond a oh, yeah, that one joke she has about not being pretty or an average-sized gal.

But...she kept at it till she made lots of money.

You can't argue with success even tho I have no plans to see her movies or standup.

I did see Trainwreck; Cena was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 87April 21, 2018 10:24 PM

R85, I can't stand her voice and she ruined every W&G episode in which she appeared because the idiot producers allowed her to break out in song every goddamn time she appeared in a scene.

by Anonymousreply 88April 21, 2018 10:27 PM

I loved all the random actresses that show up during Inside Monkey Zetterland along with Sandra, like Patricia Arquette, Debi Mazar, Martha Plimpton, Sofia Coppola, Ricki Lake.

by Anonymousreply 89April 21, 2018 10:33 PM

When was Amy on Will and Grace? She was still a nobody when the show first ran.

by Anonymousreply 90April 21, 2018 10:42 PM

R69 I've always thought that JLaw could be Amy's younger, thinner, hotter sister. They both give off that "Midwestern trailer park" vibe.

by Anonymousreply 91April 21, 2018 11:01 PM

"I don't get her rise at all, she's not very funny."

But, it's subjective. I don't think she's that funny, but I guess there's an audience who does.

by Anonymousreply 92April 21, 2018 11:50 PM

R90, I was referring to Sandra Bernhard.

by Anonymousreply 93April 22, 2018 12:33 AM

She peaked with trainreck, it's been downhill ever since.

by Anonymousreply 94April 22, 2018 12:37 AM

Thank you r93. My error, I didn't look back at the post you replied to.

by Anonymousreply 95April 22, 2018 1:16 AM

No prob, R95.

by Anonymousreply 96April 22, 2018 1:19 AM

She reminds me of a talking pig.

by Anonymousreply 97April 22, 2018 1:37 AM

Amy on The View:

“The backlash was people were saying your character is a blonde of healthy weight who is attractive, and you’re supposed to make us believe that you are ugly? How do you respond to that?”

“First of all, that’s the nicest backlash I’ve ever heard,” Schumer said.

“Also, I think it is fair to say that it’s a lot harder for other people,” she added, “and I recognize that I am a caucasian, like — I would love if this movie were starring a woman of color who’s had it way harder than me, and I think, I hope we get there. This is hopefully just a step in the right direction.”

by Anonymousreply 98April 22, 2018 4:09 AM

R77, Sarah Silverman is at least 10x the writer Amy Schumer is. Silverman must be wondering how this bitch got such a major film career - answer: Schumer is nowhere near as challenging as Silverman is. Nor is she committed to strong point of view other than “laugh at me, what a mess I am” as opposed to “I’m going to make you think and you will be compelled to laugh by my revelation.”

by Anonymousreply 99April 22, 2018 5:01 AM

Sarah Silverman is quite stupid, trust me. No matter what kind of humorist you are, a comedian should be capable of being quick witted and maybe funny? Silverman is the slowest with in town. I get her and some of her scripted shows with Sarah as the stunned jew in a catholic schoolgirl porn movie have made me laugh because of her unexpected AIDS diagnosis. Amy Schumer is at least a successful stand-up comic. She can tell a bad joke.

It's like Sandra Bnhardt. She can't sing, who the fuck told her she can? Is it a sign of vulnerability or a great con on gay men? I don't know her. But I get that she is sardonic and bitchy. And maybe she is moving money or just fucking with people. She can't really sing but makes you believe she can. She's what passes for smart on Andy Cohen. I think only people familiar with her career can enjoy her much. She was this droll name dropping chick who made fun of the celebrities she had dinner with or fucked? But Kathy Griffin can tell a damn joke. A good one. Amy Schumer is a successful stand-up comic. They don't make you watch them sing.

Amy Schumer can deliver a joke, she has a style. You like it or you don't. Her jokes are not very good. People like Adam Sandler movies. Life is confusing. But Sarah Silverman is never funny as herself. She is the character of a victim slut or the chick who dresses like a whore and then gets raped dammit. Then she comes to court dressed like a schoolgirl. Her jokes have 3 parts. She is one of the most lucky rich people on earth though. Her message is vaguely feminist but Schumer's is much more clearly that. I wouldn't pay to see either of them and I go to everything.

Still only Amy can charge. Amy Schumer has comic chops even though her features are only half the size of her huge head. Sarah Silverman was quite pretty once upon a time. And successful. How many Sarah Silverman movies are there? Harvey Weinstein had to fight HER off. Sandra Bernhardt don't belong here. She's a character - an actress. Alaska Thunderfuck's vocal coach. Bette Midler's understudy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 22, 2018 5:48 AM

I saw it last night. I liked it. She's more sympathetic/likeable in this.

by Anonymousreply 101April 22, 2018 8:37 AM

She has a new interview out. She needs to slow down, guys! She's just doing too much!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 22, 2018 10:04 AM

[quote] Sandra ....She's been on the cusp of superstardom for decades but never shattering that glass ceiling because it was never on HER terms. . She was offered the reality show that made Kathy Griffin a star, but she turned it down, because she felt it would be a betrayal of everything she had achieved. Now she's making millions hosting her own radio show on Sirius.

Superstardom? Millions from Sirius? Were you dropped as a kid?

[quote]The idea that Bill Hader and John Cena (!) would be turned on by the likes of Amy Schumer, much less want to stick their dicks in her, was preposterous.

Always humored how vapid gay boys know what turns on a straight guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103April 22, 2018 10:19 AM

[quote]I saw it last night. I liked it. She's more sympathetic/likeable in this.

I saw it too and agree her character was sympathetic and likeable. The supporting characters minus the gym employee were all likeable. Michelle Williams was one of the best parts of the movie and it was fun seeing her playing a kooky character.

by Anonymousreply 104April 22, 2018 4:59 PM

It's weird how men loathe women whose looks they don't approve of. Seething hatred if loathed woman doesn't apologize for being "ugly" and doesn't grovel or seek out approval for being allowed to exist. Men are a mess.

by Anonymousreply 105April 22, 2018 5:23 PM

I've known lots of very cute straight guys who went home from the bar with unbelievably piggish girls. If a straight guy is horny enough, and especially if he's been drinking, he'll even stick his dick in a beast like Amy Schumer.

by Anonymousreply 106April 22, 2018 5:30 PM

A lot of straight men would fuck her just because she has blonde hair.

by Anonymousreply 107April 22, 2018 5:43 PM

Beware of putting pink with apricot.

by Anonymousreply 108April 22, 2018 5:45 PM

She's finally over... Christmas in April.

by Anonymousreply 109April 22, 2018 5:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 22, 2018 6:06 PM

$16mil opening. Not huge, but not a flop. Has an "A+" from women under 30, so it may have a bit of legs.

by Anonymousreply 111April 22, 2018 6:12 PM

Amy STEALS her jokes, then tells them in a way that it just isn't funny. Just go to YouTube and search for "Amy Schumer steals jokes" They have several sites that have posted both the original comedian and joke (with the date) and Amy's later stolen version (with the date).

by Anonymousreply 112April 22, 2018 6:21 PM

Women under 30 are dumb sluts.

by Anonymousreply 113April 22, 2018 7:10 PM

I don't see this movie getting to $70 million just to break even. I won't say she is over, but people are getting tired of her. She looks like Miss Piggy without the glamour. Stop complaining that guys need to find you hot and work on being funnier. In the history of man no one has even shamed or browbeat anyone into thinking they are attractive.

by Anonymousreply 114April 22, 2018 9:32 PM

That Shaheer nobody was just as disastrously unfunny in this as she was on SNL. The gym employee character could have been hilarious in , oh, anyone else’s hands, including probably mine but she was a complete waste of celluloid. Please someone put this still token hire out of our misery.

by Anonymousreply 115April 22, 2018 9:36 PM

[quote]I don't see this movie getting to $70 million just to break even.

You do realize it's not 1980 anymore right? There are more ways than one for a film to make a profit that just theater rentals .

by Anonymousreply 116April 22, 2018 10:30 PM

I saw it and it was mildly entertaining. It was pretty fun until the empowerment message that was, as always, heavy handed. Shumer’s looks are perfect for a comedienne, she looks funny. Don’t get the hatred for her. And Lauren Hutton was in it!

I did like the overall message: condidence or lack thereof makes or breaks you.

by Anonymousreply 117April 22, 2018 10:58 PM

R62, I believe it has more to do with her ugliness within. You can only hide that ugly for so long. She's not a nice person and disrespectful to her fans.

by Anonymousreply 118April 22, 2018 11:29 PM

It looks like her husband turned away from her as she was going in for the kiss.

Is she kissing his upper lip?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 22, 2018 11:33 PM

[quote]That Shaheer nobody was just as disastrously unfunny in this as she was on SNL. The gym employee character could have been hilarious in , oh, anyone else’s hands, including probably mine but she was a complete waste of celluloid. Please someone put this still token hire out of our misery.

Schumer is friends with several current and former SNL cast members and Sasheer did spots on Inside Amy Schumer years back. I agree she was unfunny as the SoulCycle employee and that small part could have been hilarious with someone else.

by Anonymousreply 120April 23, 2018 1:25 AM

And, r116, you do realize you are an idiot? I was being nice because I did not include the money spent on marketing and distribution, which is not included in the budget and is a just as much or more than the budget. PVP and streaming doesn't bring in nearly as much as the practically dead DVD market did for these kinds if movies. But thanks, keep making a fool out if yourself.

by Anonymousreply 121April 23, 2018 1:51 AM

Go to bed Grampa. You clearly have no idea how much PPV, On Demand streaming and digital sales make. Plus every Redbox & Library buy Blu-rays/DVD's as well as first tier cable , second, basic cable and syndication.

by Anonymousreply 122April 23, 2018 2:00 AM

R122, those totals don't count as much in determining if a sequel gets made. It's the box office that counts more and r121 is correct streaming etc don't bring in nearly as much as the box office totals.

by Anonymousreply 123April 23, 2018 2:16 AM

I didn't see this movie heavily promoted and so they might not have spent much on advertising.

by Anonymousreply 124April 23, 2018 2:35 AM

R30 got it right, although I would add that comedians just tend to have a moment in time because the culture changes and how likely is it that you capture the zeitgeist twice or three times? To be sure, though, winning a Peabody was the worst thing to happen to her. As far as the movie, it isn't bad. But Schumer's more let down by the script and the directing than anything else. Michelle Williams is great and Tom Hopper is hot.

Also, when will STX open a movie at #1?

It will be interesting to see how Life of the Party does for Melissa McCarthy, which is a rip off of Back to School. I've seen preview screenings and while it has some funny set pieces it's about the same quality as I Feel Pretty. I suspect, though, that McCarthy will have a longer shelf life because her comedy is primarily physical.

by Anonymousreply 125April 23, 2018 2:54 AM

[quote]Always humored how vapid gay boys know what turns on a straight guy.

It can't be true! Ashley loves ME!

by Anonymousreply 126April 23, 2018 3:33 AM

I saw it and enjoyed it. It's pretty funny and sweet. Can't believe the hatred for her here. Saying she's ugly and fat. Fat compared to Kate Beckinsale maybe. How many decades of ugly out of shape male comedians starring in movies have we had to endure? She is quite average. She's prettier than average on the street. This thread is weird.

by Anonymousreply 127April 23, 2018 4:01 AM

[quote]How many decades of ugly out of shape male comedians starring in movies have we had to endure?

And DL talks endless shit about them too. Check out a Will Ferrel or Adam Sandler thread.

by Anonymousreply 128April 23, 2018 4:19 AM

Watch Michee Wolf's special on HBO. Funniest, smartest woman I've seen in a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 129April 23, 2018 4:29 AM

Does Sondheim get any money for the title?

by Anonymousreply 130April 23, 2018 4:59 AM

[quote]I know everybody always talks about her body being so grotesque but I always felt like it wasn't that bad. Her face is the real problem.

Agree. A pretty face would go a long way in making up for her pudge. She resembles a cabbage patch doll. I wonder if she's ever considered plastic surgery to correct her weird features.

by Anonymousreply 131April 23, 2018 8:20 AM

[quote]She resembles a cabbage patch doll.

Like her jokes, those were stolen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132April 23, 2018 8:22 AM

[quote]She's prettier than average on the street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133April 23, 2018 8:37 AM

Schumer makes plenty of jokes at her own expense. Maybe it's hostility, who knows, but her awareness of problems with her looks is part of what makes her funny. Roseanne and Kathy Griffin refuse to do jokes about being unattractive, that's not their thing. Joan Rivers built her career on it. It's all kind of tired. Ellen was a great stand-up back in the day. Really fresh and funny, neither self deprecating or mean. Nothing like who she is now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134April 23, 2018 8:42 AM

As a gay man, I don’t care about her weight or her looks. I’m looking for wit. But all I hear are diarrhea and busted out pussy jokes. I don’t think it’s funny. Maybe because I am not 12 years old???

by Anonymousreply 135April 23, 2018 8:56 AM

I saw it this weekend, don't judge me but we don't like super hero or scary movies so what the hell. The actor who plays the boyfriend really was good but he's not getting any attention like Amy is.

by Anonymousreply 136April 23, 2018 11:01 AM

[quote] Saying she's ugly and fat.

She had a nice figure in Trainwreck. Her legs which looked good in the skirts she wore. Then I read Judd Apatow made her get in shape to get leading lady ready. She has since looked fatter so I guess she didn't want to keep itup.

Only true if you consider pale, white and blonde the beauty standard. She does not have an attractive face.

by Anonymousreply 137April 23, 2018 11:09 AM

Her main shtick this promotion blitz was about being a newlywed and how awesome her hot chef husband is. She is clearly in a very happy place which is great for her. But INSANELY boring for the audience. We like our comics malconted. Tears of a clown. Tortured but sharp and withering. None of that during this roll out. It made for a very boring Howard Stern interview which is rare.

by Anonymousreply 138April 23, 2018 11:31 AM

r122 and r123 are delsional. This mess is not getting a sequel unless Amy bankrolls it. Why are you being so ridiculous and defensive. Those ancillary streams are icing on the cake or good if the movie is very close to breaking even which this movie not because you just get pennies on the dollar compared to years ago. I guess your next sad retort is how the movie has only been out a week. Unless you have something rare with extreme strong word of mouth, movies don't do better or hold steady in the following weeks. Especially not with all these blockbusters coming down the path starting this week. I guess you will next say they love her in Asia and Europe or some other bullshit. If you like her, fine, but don't embarrass yourself making up shit on her behalf. Are you related or a producer?

by Anonymousreply 139April 23, 2018 11:37 AM

Not even in Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 140April 23, 2018 11:49 AM

I never said a thing about her appearance. I even gave her credit for her earlier work (fist two seasons of CC show). What I stated was that a) I did not find her funny because I watched her stand up routine on television and never once cracked a smile, let alone a giggle (Kathy Griffin she is NOT). Okay, good ole American capitalism at work here "This is what we're pushing as the apex of female comedians right now - take her or leave her" I'm leaving her. Regardless of anything else, it was the way she had that young man ejected from her audience which turned me completely against her to the point that I don't care what she will do from that point forward, I simply have no interest in her. She did it so casually, so arrogantly, a power move which told the rest of the audience she had arrived. Really. It PISSED ME OFF!

by Anonymousreply 141April 23, 2018 12:06 PM

Uh, r139, I was agreeing with you.

by Anonymousreply 142April 23, 2018 2:57 PM

Sarah Silverman is not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 143April 23, 2018 3:39 PM

If you want to see a female comic who's truly funny, go on Youtube and check out Kathleen Madigan.

by Anonymousreply 144April 23, 2018 3:55 PM

I agree with r144. Madigan is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 145April 23, 2018 4:05 PM

Amy acts like she's more successful than she is. And she has been frequently caught being disingenuous and two-faced.

by Anonymousreply 146April 23, 2018 4:32 PM

I don't think it's fair to say she steals other people's jokes. Her writers steal other people's jokes (she doesn't even write her own stand-up).

by Anonymousreply 147April 23, 2018 4:38 PM

She is a POSEUR. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 148April 23, 2018 6:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 23, 2018 6:40 PM

Lots of people are witty, Chrissy Teigen is fast and funny and smart on Twitter. So are Quinn Cummings, Chelsea Handler and some no name people consistently original and funny in real time. Yet Jen Kirkman, Sarah Silverman and Kathy Griffin can't be funny even when they try to be. They are stand up comics, no?

Schumer has been very lucky to go from clubs to TV to films. She is undeserving of the exposure, the opportunity and CA$H. But she is far from the only one. Will Ferrell, Kate McKinnon, Adam Sandler, Gilda Radner, Seth Rogan and many other unfunny people have had their Hollywood payday before her. She's original in that she's young and crude female who is drunk bangable. She caught the wave of the female hangover crowd.

by Anonymousreply 150April 23, 2018 6:51 PM

Beard Chrissy Reagan looks like an extra from star treks space alien department, homelmiss y, weird. Amy the queen of fat cabbage patch dolls. Foul mouthed niece of koo koo.

by Anonymousreply 151April 24, 2018 1:16 AM

r150, Gilda Radner "unfunny?" Really?

by Anonymousreply 152April 24, 2018 1:27 AM

Agree gilda radner was pretty unfunny. Got a lot of mileage from her illness.

by Anonymousreply 153April 24, 2018 2:08 AM

One website article complains about Sasheer Zamata's role in the movie lol. Zamata isn't funny and her role as snotty gym employee was perfectly ok. The best friends played by Aidy Bryant and Busy Phillips fit in well with Schumer. The author mentions other female comedians like Mo'Nique and Cristela Alonzo still struggling for roles. Mo'Nique burned bridges in Hollywood. Cristela Alonzo had that ABC sitcom years back, she caused drama with the studio and network regarding the show's material. She probably burned a few bridges like Mo'Nique, but she lucked out getting that voice role in Cars 3. I doubt Alonzo will ever get big roles-she pissed off the wrong people years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154April 24, 2018 9:21 PM

I have an unshiftable belly like the Schumes, and strangers are needlessly judgemental about it. The thing to do is pay these hens no mind and become a person of calibre & skill to spite them, rather than claim not to care but play straight into their hands by lowering your craft to their level.

by Anonymousreply 155April 24, 2018 10:42 PM

OMG r154 that website is an SJW circle jerk.

by Anonymousreply 156April 25, 2018 1:49 AM

SJW sites find anything about movies or TV shows to bitch about.

by Anonymousreply 157April 25, 2018 2:48 AM

True, r157. They are obsessed with pop culture, including the most trivial aspects of it.

by Anonymousreply 158April 25, 2018 3:09 AM

[quote]True, [R157]. They are obsessed with pop culture, including the most trivial aspects of it.

Unlike DL, the most frivolous and and stale PoP culture site?

by Anonymousreply 159April 25, 2018 3:16 AM

DL is entertainment, these people feel they're owed a career for their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 160April 25, 2018 3:42 AM

She was on some talk show last week promoting. Can't remember which one. She came out looking like shit with an under made up face. She was doing an "irritated" shtick, but she seemed authentically unhappy - in her new marriage? She was fatter.

by Anonymousreply 161April 25, 2018 3:51 AM

She was recently hospitalized for a kidney infection.

by Anonymousreply 162April 28, 2018 4:56 PM

Her act is very confused--she complains endlessly that she's too fat and so Hollywood won't treat her as if she's attractive attractive, and then when that magazine celebrated her for being a plus-sized gal, she angrily insisted she wasn't plus-sized. Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 163April 28, 2018 5:04 PM

This movie isn't Schumer's. She was just hired to star in it, that's all. So if people don't like the movie it's not on her. It's on the writers, director, producers. I'm sure she'd rather it be a success since it is her face out there, but it doesn't hurt her chances of getting her own projects done. She can still get stuff made but they may be wary if she's going to be the lead.

by Anonymousreply 164April 28, 2018 5:05 PM

[quote] Lots of people are witty, Chrissy Teigen is fast and funny and smart on Twitter. So are Quinn Cummings,

Annie from "Family" is now a stand-up comic??

My jaw just dropped to the floor. I thought she was a talent agent.

by Anonymousreply 165April 28, 2018 5:05 PM

R38 I like Sandra Bernhard...but I don't know why she thinks she should sing.

It's always a little embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 166April 28, 2018 5:30 PM

She was so good in her movie "Without You I'm Nothing."

by Anonymousreply 167April 29, 2018 1:34 AM

I just tried to watch I Feel Pretty on streaming, and had to shut it off before I even got halfway through it. Not even a single laugh.

by Anonymousreply 168June 19, 2018 3:19 AM

I Feel Pretty

Production Budget: $32 million

Domestic Total as of Jun. 17, 2018: $48,753,442

Offset advertising and such, it probably just about broke even.

by Anonymousreply 169June 19, 2018 3:27 AM

I enjoyed it. Light and amusing

by Anonymousreply 170June 19, 2018 3:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!