Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Darren Hayes? (Savage Garden)

He’s really sexy and still going strong, but we haven’t ever really discussed him in-depth.

Like his music? (I love his solos, especially ‘Darkness’ and ‘Step Into The Light’) Ever met him? (Is he as hot off-camera?) Anyone know how he handled being one of the earliest out Gays in pop? Heard of any Diva tendencies? What is he doing now, with his husband and his sizeable back catalogue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 18, 2020 11:54 AM

Doing comedy podcasts now with his partner

by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2018 9:03 PM

This video still makes me cringe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2018 9:13 PM

He's a delight. The podcast is a side interest. At the moment he's living in California with his husband Richard, and has been writing an original musical (not a jukebox hits thing) for the last two years.

That video was meant to be a cringefest.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2018 9:15 PM

r3 Thanks, Darren. Is that podcast any good?

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2018 9:25 PM

His cover of Dress You Up sounds better than Madonna or Darren Criss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2018 9:26 PM

Sorry to disappoint, R4 I'm just an acquaintance in the UK. I'm not really a podcast fan, so you'll have to ask someone else.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2018 9:32 PM

His relationship with Daniel (Jones) was just so tragic. They were so good together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2018 9:53 PM

As of March 2018

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2018 9:57 PM

I love his voice. It’s very sensual and has an androgynous quality that’s appealing. He should be way way bigger than he is.

by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2018 11:43 PM

So he still dyes his hair darker eh, R8...

He is a natural blond like many Aussie men, and looks like a totally different person when golden. A dark dyejob makes him look more feminine and vulnerable somehow, but also much more striking (due to contrast) which helps in performing arts.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2018 10:25 PM

R8: Is he depressed? Why is he taking such pictures? He looks tired and unkempt. Darren can look better than this. He needs to get some rest and comb his hair, find some good clothes. It's not as if he lacks the financial means.

R9: Maybe he would be if he made more of an effort with his appearance. He's a very fine singer-songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2018 2:14 AM

" WHET " is just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2018 2:20 AM

His album a few years ago “Secret Codes and Battleships” is really good.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2018 2:22 AM

I really like his SG and solo music. I’ve folleed his career for many years.

He does a movie review podcast called “We paid to see this.” He’s a huge Star Wars fan.

At one point he talked about launching a stand-up comedy career and an acting career. But I don’t know if he’s doing much more than the podcasts these days.

He has the tea on all of the Sony people who tried to destroy George Michael.... he went through the same ringer with those people,

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2018 2:27 AM

You can find a bunch of his covers of Prince songs on YouTube. My favorite is his version of “Eye Wish U Heaven”

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2018 2:31 AM

No ones cares if you don't like it, r12. It's DL tradition and here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2018 3:06 AM

Two scandals come to mind:

He was sent up on charges in the UK for racism.

Comedian Simon Amstell publicly outed him and Darren asked him what his problem was and asked him if he wanted him to fuck him in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2018 3:12 AM

He doesn’t seem too keen on Australia. Was the press and/or fandom tough on him down under?

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote]He was sent up on charges in the UK for racism.

He accepted a section 5 caution for Disorderly Conduct (an official telling off) after getting into a slightly-drunk shouting match with a doorman. The police couldn't find a single witness who heard a racist remark. The doorman was out to make a bit of cash.

The criticism of Australia is because (until the recent change in the law) it didn't accept the legality of his marriage. So, his husband had to travel on a visitors visa, go through different customs checks and would not be recognised as a next of kin if anything happened while they were there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2018 12:44 AM

Is the husband a Yank? I thought he was an Aussie.

I love Kath and Kim but they made a pretty nasty homophobic joke about him. The show makes fun of everyone but still.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2018 1:33 AM

Richard is English.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2018 1:39 AM

He wasn’t exactly “out”.

He was married to a woman and closeted at the time Savage Garden came to prominence.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2018 1:53 AM

It’s very difficult to believe that anyone bought him as straight-married back in the 90s, yet they did.

I suppose he got away with it because a fashion for men in pop then was a femme flamboyance in dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2018 10:43 AM

The cherry cola song was catchy but that treacly, twee "Stand with you on a mountain" song makes me cringe.

Are these duds still performing?

How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2018 11:10 AM

R11 He is depressed because his career has stopped and he'll be 50 soon.

He has some residual guilt about betraying his wife, and also his singing partner.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2018 11:41 AM

I thought he split with his wife very amicably. He says they’re still friends and always were, and they parted ways early in both their lives so it isn’t as if he wasted decades of her youth & fertility.

Daniel seems happy in his own career and marriage now, too. If Darren is depressed about anything it’s probably just the usual boring angst everyone has about growing older (which is harder in Arts & Ents).

Maybe he needs something new to talk about in his music, which in turn would beget a new gimmick. That is, if he still wants to be a performer anymore, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2018 12:02 PM

What was the deal with Daniel and Darren? I heard they lived together in LA (in a one room hotel room) while waiting for their record deal to come through. I can believe Darren was madly (truly and deeply) in love with the straight Daniel and it caused Darren heartache. A lot of their songs come through with that kind of angst. Absolutely tragic they don't communicate as they are both in the States now.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2018 12:27 PM

I only heard grapevine rumors that they had a sexual relationship sometime in ‘97-98 that turned sour, because Daniel only thought of it as “road head” and friendly DL experimentation while Darren fell in love. It is a tragic story, and one many of us can relate to sadly.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2018 8:55 AM

Darren could have done better than Daniel lookswise, so lord knows why he was pining.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2018 6:42 PM

Bump for the Garden.

Anyone ever see them live? I always wanted to, but never got the chance before they disbanded.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2018 7:07 PM

D x D definitely emanated bf-vibes in some of the early promo pics...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2018 12:08 PM

Baiting, dating, or just platonic twin-flaming?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2018 12:09 PM

Suggestive EP covers probably didn't help matters...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2018 12:10 PM

the Spotify ID picture they chose for Savage Garden is SO SAD. just Darren and Dan smiling at each other :(

by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2018 4:27 PM

That ultra cheesy song by him, "so beautiful " is one of my guilty pleasures.

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2018 4:31 PM

His solo stuff is crap. The other sexy guy in Savage Garden was responsible for their success.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2018 5:06 PM

I want to see his peen.

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2018 5:13 PM

Anyone know when his depression started?

The way he talks about it implies that a correlation with Daniel breaking up with him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2018 10:34 PM

Isn’t his partner older and unattractive ?

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2018 10:38 PM

Sensual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2018 10:40 PM

R36 The duo stuff is mere pop

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2018 10:58 PM

Some of his solo material sounds like it belongs in a musical or on someone else's album. It's good but the narrative voice is not "him", sometimes.

Wonder if he writes for other people?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2018 11:21 PM

R42 His solo not too poppy. A good thing.

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2018 12:02 AM

Love it! Fabulously cute and untalented!

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2018 1:56 AM

Given the homophobic shove he got from much of the English-speaking media after coming out (go to certain archives like ONTD! and look for the decade-old articles in his tag, you’ll see what) I’m surprised he ever attempted a comeback at all, let alone a relatively successful and positive one. Good for him; I probably would have said “stuff it” and gone into house development with my piece a la Jeremy Renner.

I still rmemember how he almost got viciously outed on British fluff telly show POPWORLD, by Channel 4 presenter & comedian Simon Amstell (best known for the quiz show NEVER MIND THE BUZZCOCKS) who was Out himself already. The actual explicit admission and the confrontation they had about it was filmed but never made it to air, but can tell something went down by the sexuality digs littered throughout and by the end of interview where there’s a weird conspicuous edit and tense grimacing. Awkward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2018 3:23 PM

Ew. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2018 3:29 PM

I wanna hear this musical he’s working on. Are musicals even a thing Down Under?

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2018 3:52 PM

[Quote] Are musicals even a thing Down Under?

Is that a serious question?

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2018 5:14 PM

Apparently he’s a top, which I can’t get my head around because he’s so tiny.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2018 11:52 AM

He's difficult to dislike because he's so grateful for his success, though it helps that he's cute like a Bush-baby.

[quote] DARREN: "Incredible that people were paying me to get on an aeroplane and come & sing...*whispers* I would have done it for free!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2018 2:46 PM

Dirrin! Miss this bloke.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2018 2:55 PM

He’s covered Madge. Is he a fan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2018 7:19 PM

He gives good blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 53October 27, 2018 7:25 PM

SOMEONE is sitting on a toasty THOT story, eh R53?

by Anonymousreply 54October 27, 2018 8:02 PM

R52 so in that clip he hadn't sung in five years before getting up there to sing? In that case it was an impressive performance.

by Anonymousreply 55October 28, 2018 11:57 PM

How much is he worth after taxes? Curious as to what his lifestyle is like now....

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2018 9:52 AM

Love him. He was on Bill Maher's old Politically Incorrect show and was intelligent and witty.

The relationship with Daniel Jones does seem like a classic break up. Jones was the musical genius and for their 2nd album Affirmation - they never worked in the studio together. Hayes had moved to San Francisco and was partying up with the likes of Brian Boitano. Jones married his gf and Hayes seemed to go off the deep end.

An old VHI House of Blues concert for SV, Darren sang almost the entire concert to Daniel Jones, flirting outrageously with him. Jones seemed to take it well but it was kind of odd.

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2018 10:48 AM

When he had the dark hair, in the early Savage Garden days, he always struck me as a poor man's Brian Molko. I hated all of Savage Garden's songs, but like his solo work. Daniel Jones has always seemed like a closeted, pompous, aloof stick in the mud.

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2018 11:30 AM

[quote] When he had the dark hair, in the early Savage Garden days, he always struck me as a poor man's Brian Molko.

I miss that andro-goth/glam/cyber look of the 00s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 31, 2018 7:40 PM

[quote] An old VHI House of Blues concert for SV, Darren sang almost the entire concert to Daniel Jones, flirting outrageously with him.

Does anyone have links to video of this? I've looked several times and several dozen pages deep but nothing turns up.

by Anonymousreply 60October 31, 2018 7:48 PM

R60 does VH1 have a site? They might have it their archives. It originally aired in 1998.

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2018 10:13 AM

R59 Molko was SO PRETTY. Definitely a comphet crush of mine.

by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2018 10:13 AM

I miss those days too R59.

He was beautiful in his prime R62. An androgynous angel.

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2018 11:49 AM

I think the Darren/Daniel rift must partly be about some jealous sexual thing, because in this day & age when the only money to be made in the music industry is via touring (and especially reunion tours) there is no way either of them leave comeback money on the table. There’s stubborn and then there’s stupid.

Unless they’re dragging out the possibility and holding out for even more moolah, but in five years no one will care or know who they are so it’s a fine line to walk. Their outright utter disgust with the idea rings true, though, and that makes me think that there is a fucked-up personal & emotional reason they can’t stand on a stage together or even bear to talk at length about the other in an interview.

by Anonymousreply 64November 4, 2018 12:43 PM

He wrote the title track on Steps' album from last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65November 4, 2018 1:22 PM

Steps is still together?

by Anonymousreply 66November 4, 2018 1:40 PM

Injustice that the world lost Savage Garden yet we still have Steps.

by Anonymousreply 67November 8, 2018 6:57 PM

I love him. Beautiful voice. Sexy in his prime. He isn't looking too hot these days sorta looks like a serious librarian now. But if he wanted to he could look hot again he still has the pretty facial structure.

by Anonymousreply 68September 14, 2020 4:49 AM

It seems Darren has a crush on Harry Styles. He also follows Conan Gray on IG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2020 3:28 AM

This is sweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2020 4:13 AM

R30 I've seen Savage Garden perform live before, they were good.

I really love Darren's voice and all his solo albums, he's one of my favourite male singers (I have a strong tendency towards female vocals and there's only a few male singers I actually would say I'm a fan of).

Some of his songs hit me right in the feels in a way that nothing else does. I like his 'We Are Smug' side project too.

Would love for him to come out with another huge double album like "This Delicate Thing We've Made". Not absolutely every track is incredible and the same high standard but overall it's a fucking masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2020 2:28 PM

Darren has taken a long break. I wish he would make more music. I know it's tough since he is more of an artistic type who makes the music he wants to make rather than hop on trends. It's hard to not sell out to make a profit. I think most of us accept Savage Garden will never reunite. Both guys are content with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2020 1:54 AM

Darren just had a bunch of IG stories answering fan questions. He said he is working on new music. He really loves his twinks, he follows Timothee, Zayn, Harry, Conan and Avan on IG.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2020 12:38 AM

Hopefully he gave up music

by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2020 12:39 AM

I interviewed him on the phone and in person several times. Intelligent, funny, humble.

It was my understanding that Daniel and Darren were never close - it was a working relationship. Daniel didn't like fame and wanted to retire with his millions and Darren wanted to keep going.

Sony did a crap job with his first solo album - tried to make him a Justin Timberlake with over-produced songs.

His second and third solo albums are fantastic.

He is prone to depression. This is a chemical balance that many people have. He has had this his entire life.

he had a pretty fucked up childhood - drunk, raging, mean dad that often physically and mentally abused and abandoned the family. Dad is sober now.

I've seen him perform live several times - great performer - pitch perfect instrument. His voice can sound a little breathy but it's actually a strong instrument (kind of like a boy kylie).

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2020 1:11 AM

Be wary of scammers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 18, 2020 6:36 AM

He did an interview a few weeks ago. It was very, very bitter.

He's obviously very depressed now he has no PR staff to guide him. He spoke out quite belligerently against his partner saying they couldn't bear to look at each other.

by Anonymousreply 77October 18, 2020 10:14 AM

r77 so they don't want to stand with each other on a mountain?

by Anonymousreply 78October 18, 2020 11:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!