Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ordeal By Innocence: BBC mini series by Agatha Christie novel

Not as gripping as "Then There Were None" .

But still very good mini series .

BTW this is the third time this novel has been adapted . Before this, it was adapted in a 1985 movie with Ian Mcshane as Philip Durrant. It was again adapted in Agatha Christie's Marple series . That time DL favorite Ritchie Armitage played Philip Durrant.

This time Matthew Goode[ Single Man] has played Philip Durrant.

This series came in huge controversy last year when Former DL favorite Ed Westwick who was part of this series as Mickey Argyll was accused of rape by multiple women . He had even shot many scenes . This series was slated to release at Christmas last year but BBC halted the show .

Ed Westwick was then replaced by cute Christian Cooke and Mickey Argylll scene were re-shot .

BTW has anyone read the novel .Anyone is big fan of this particular novel by AC?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2019 4:48 AM

I read everything by Agatha Christie but I'll have to watch the show to jog my memory. I'm waiting for all the parts to come out so I can binge it.

How's the acting, production design, camerawork... so far? Anything or anyone outstanding to keep an eye out?

by Anonymousreply 1April 16, 2018 6:30 PM

Production design, camerawork. are absolutely terrific . You should not expect anything less from BBC One in terms of production design, camera work etc.

For acting different people may have different opinion

But for me Bill Nighy as Leo Argyll was very good.

Morven Christie was good .

Some people may find acting of Anthony Boyle[ Jack Argyll] and Matthew Goode[Philip Durrant] as hyper but I liked them .

Rest of star cast was strictly OK

Only Luke Treadways 'who is twin brother of former DL fave Harry Treadway was bit underwhelming . But I blame director for that not the actor .

One of the big problem this series has is that first episode is very slow and not very intriguing so people who have very less patience may find it boring and may be drop it after episode 1. However show pick up the pace in episode 2 and final episode[]episode 3] It becomes very good .

I have not read any of AC novel so I didn't have any sort of expectation from the series . So I liked a lot in total. However many AC die hard fans are complaining about this TV series .

This often happen to me . I love the movies " On the Road" and "Mysteries of Pittsburgh since I have not read the novesl but die hard fans of the books hated those movies

by Anonymousreply 2April 16, 2018 7:02 PM

r2 Thanks. I see now that the third and final episode aired yesterday so I'll probably watch all of it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 3April 16, 2018 7:15 PM

Where is it/will it be available in the US?

by Anonymousreply 4April 16, 2018 9:48 PM

I want to watch it, too, r4, but like you, I'm in the US. I must see everything Matthew Goode is in.

by Anonymousreply 5April 16, 2018 9:59 PM

I gather it's supposed to be on Amazon, but I can't find anything on their site indicating when this might happen.

by Anonymousreply 6April 16, 2018 10:01 PM

Does Miss Marple's pussy stink?

I think it smells like mothballs and cobwebs.

by Anonymousreply 7April 16, 2018 10:03 PM

I finished watching it tonight and I quite enjoyed it. I loved Anthony Boyle, and he showed his cute butt. Anna Chancellor was terrific as Mommie Dearest.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2018 8:35 AM

Is this the Glenn Close one? Or the one with the Treadaway? Those weren't the same show were they?

Anyway, I'm delighted this thread was started by some kind of troll and then a misogynist troll jumped in.

Ah, the Agatha Christie loving family of trolls!

Is your hair on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2018 9:00 AM

R9, Crooked House starred Glenn Close. This one, starring Bill Nighy, Luke Treadaway, and Matthew Goode, is different. I like Ordeal better than Crooked.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2018 9:07 AM

Oh, I preferred Crooked House. Besides having GLEN! it also had Christina Hendricks and an incredible over the top wig game from Gillian Anderson.

I mean, it was the same level as her wig game on Gods and Heroes. In a less CGI way.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2018 9:32 AM

I really liked Matthew Goode. I thought Treadaway did fine with what he had to work with. There wasn't anyone I didn't like, really. Could have done with some dong from both Matthew and Anthony Boyle.

The entire family premise felt odd. Do people adopt like that today?

I found the very last scene less-than-satisfying. Did it end that way in every version, including the book?

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2018 10:37 AM

The entire story is quite changed from the 2007 Miss Marple version (with DL fave Richard Armitage.) But I think it's probably closer to the original novel.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2018 7:05 PM

Just watched it based on this thread and enjoyed it. The guy who played the brother Michael/Mickey was the eye candy for me. I saw the previous version, I didn't remember the ending but I'm pretty sure this version differs. I'm going to check out Crooked House next. Any other recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2018 9:26 PM

Kirsten and Rachel were lezzies, right?

I agree, r11 Crooked House is better. Gillian's role was so camp, I loved it!

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2018 9:48 PM

r14 That was the part that was originally to be played by Ed Westwick. All of his scenes had to be re-shot with the new guy (who is gorgeous, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2018 1:46 AM

Thanks to this thread and the series being mentioned in the British Murder Mystery thread I binge watched it and loved every minute of it. What a feast for the eyes. I vaguely remember a previous version that took place at some place you could only reach by boat (which was used as an explantion for why the witness had to stay at the family mansion, I believe).

I love the opening title sequence (loved the recent "And Then There Were None" opening title sequence as well).

Call me Mary! but I do think both mini series are masterpieces.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 7:39 PM

r17 The version where the boats/island came into play was the Miss Marple version (with DL fave Richard Armitage.)

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2018 2:55 AM

Matthew Goode is awful.

by Anonymousreply 19February 11, 2019 10:23 PM

I think Christian Cooke is in this.

He had to take over after the Ed Westwick rape allegations.

He's a hot piece of British ass (although apparently straight).

by Anonymousreply 20February 11, 2019 10:29 PM

Naked ass is always welcome.

by Anonymousreply 21February 11, 2019 10:31 PM

I just got a free month of Amazon Prime, so I binge watched this. Liked the cast mostly. The ending and the identity of the murderer are changed from the original Christie novel and the Marple version. In fact, Arthur Calgary is really drastically changed from the novel where he ends up with Hester and is a ordinary guy hero-amateur detective. The script by Sarah Phelps really changes the character drastically with an entirely different backstory. There are a lot of repetitive flashbacks but the final half hour has built up a momentum that the repeats are now more powerful because of what we know. Christian Cooke is a cutie pie.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2019 3:45 AM

[quote]Christian Cooke is a cutie pie.

Yes -- he was cutest in his twink days when he was showing his perky ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2019 4:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!