Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Lauren Bacall refuse to do These Old Broads?

Instead we got Joan Collins, who is completely out of place alongside Shirley MacLaine, Debbie Reynolds, and Elizabeth Taylor.

Oh Betty, why did you deprive us?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2018 5:59 PM

Was Bacall ever considered for These Old Broads?

TOB was a project cooked up to save Debbie Reynold's daughter Carrie Fisher's then shaky career. Elizabeth Taylor signed on for "very little money" according to Debbie to help out (old debts need to be repaid eventually) and was even involved in the plannings and such. She eventually did only a very small part because of health problems like tumor-surgery aftereffects and mobility problems

I thought Collins was there because Julie Andrews opted out after her throat surgery. And Bacall was quite a bit older than Debbie and Co. It would seem weird for her to be fighting over the director with the Broads.

They were planning to have an "Older Broad" in that project - June Allyson, to play Collins/Andrews' mother. But Bacall was thin fit so I don't think she'd consider that role.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2018 9:15 PM

Oh, and June opt out last min so they had to settle for some unknown old lady to play Collins' mother.

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2018 9:19 PM

I can imagine Julie in this. So sad she lost her voice.

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2018 9:51 PM

The reason she opted out r2, is that she demanded they recreate this scene from The Opposite Sex and they refused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2018 10:00 PM

Oh well . . .

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2018 10:03 PM

The project didn't have flavAHHH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2018 10:09 PM

The film was campy fun that many will find tacky. That said, I'm kinda touched that Taylor would allow herself to play this immobile "in-bed" homewrecker as not just a rating draw, but also an apology to Debbie and Carrie. This project set the stage for Debbie and Liz's subsequent real life adventure in 911 NY city, which I think would've made a better miniseries/movie than TOB.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2018 10:24 PM

During an interview for a documentary about Elizabeth Taylor, Shirley MacLaine spoke of the film as an upcoming project, stating that it was to star herself, Taylor, Debbie Reynolds, Lauren Bacall and Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2018 11:17 PM

The role of Addie Holden was written for Lauren Bacall but eventually went to Joan Collins. It was the second time Lauren Bacall missed an opportunity to act with Elizabeth Taylor. Bacall earlier walked out on the role of Hedda Hopper in Malice in Wonderland (1985) opposite Taylor as Louella Parsons. Jane Alexander was cast instead.

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2018 11:18 PM

Lauren is a decade older than Joan. So her being first choice for senior vamp Addie goes to show just how well she had aged around 2000.

by Anonymousreply 10April 16, 2018 1:30 AM

Joan wasn't in the same category as the other broads. She wasn't a Hollywood film legend, just a poor man's Elizabeth Taylor who found fame later on TV.

by Anonymousreply 11April 16, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote]just a poor man's Elizabeth Taylor who found fame later on TV

Dynasty was a hit TV show all over the world, very rare for a TV show at that time.

by Anonymousreply 12April 16, 2018 1:49 AM

Lauren was much older than Debbie and especially Shirley. For her to be considered for a role as their romantic rival shows just amazing.

Agree with how Joan is still not in the same league as the legit Old Hollywood old broads. She's a top small-screen celebrity but they were top movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 13April 16, 2018 2:07 AM

[quote]Dynasty was a hit TV show all over the world, very rare for a TV show at that time.

Who cares, the point is that she was never a movie star like the other three.

by Anonymousreply 14April 16, 2018 2:52 AM

Joan Collins was great in the above clip. She came off looking better and sexier than MacLaine and Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 15April 16, 2018 3:26 AM

Wardrobe Designer Nolan Miller was very close friends to both Taylor and Reynolds. When Bacall dropped out, he suggested his other close friend, Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 16April 16, 2018 3:30 AM

I would think it was because of the degrading title. It'd be like appearing in "These Old Faggots."

by Anonymousreply 17April 16, 2018 4:24 AM

R17 gets the mother of all violent eye rolls.

by Anonymousreply 18April 16, 2018 5:18 AM

So who was/is considered the bigger cunt Bacall or MacLaine?

by Anonymousreply 19April 16, 2018 5:59 AM

Bacall by a mile. (then again, there are all those people MacLaine pissed off in previous lives).

by Anonymousreply 20April 16, 2018 6:02 AM

R20 hmmm maybe but I feel like Bacall totally owned her cuntiness. MacLaine doesn't carry a hint of self-awareness.

by Anonymousreply 21April 16, 2018 8:54 AM

Do you own your fagginess R21? I bet you do.

by Anonymousreply 22April 16, 2018 9:02 AM

R22 I bet you're a riot at home.

by Anonymousreply 23April 16, 2018 9:11 AM

r18 hunty, save your violent eyeball for someone who gives a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 24April 16, 2018 1:31 PM

Darling, I had my money from my coffee, cat food and Tuesday Morning commercials. Why should I get up there and do schlock with those losers when I can sit back and collect paychecks for my solo work.

by Anonymousreply 25April 16, 2018 2:14 PM

[quote]So who was/is considered the bigger cunt Bacall or MacLaine?

Bacall by light years. Local NYC tv stations every so often used to play current clips of Bacall being cunty out in public. One of the last ones before she died was where she was crossing the street with the help of an aide. There was a little boy standing on the sidewalk and Bacall is waving her cane and yelling "Get out of the way." It's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 26April 16, 2018 2:22 PM

It’s really an awful movie with a terrible script. Weekend at Bernie’s meets The (geriatric) Women.

Bacall probably saw it for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 27April 16, 2018 2:32 PM

R27 That didn't stop her from doing The Fan.

by Anonymousreply 28April 16, 2018 5:49 PM

The Fan gave us Michael Biehn as a sexy psychopath.

These Old Broads gave us Schneider as a corpse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29April 16, 2018 5:56 PM

These Old Broads lacked a musical number as memorable as the DL-legendary Hearts Not Diamonds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 16, 2018 5:58 PM

Because it wasn’t De-cafff-in-atted.

Also they tried to pay her in diamonds but she wanted hearts.

by Anonymousreply 31April 16, 2018 6:30 PM

Because "These Old Broads" was trash. Better to sell cat food.

by Anonymousreply 32April 16, 2018 6:40 PM

Lauren was one of the few old hollywood beauties who could get an Oscar nomination even as an Old Broad. So, unless she had a serious friendship with Debbie or Carrie, I doubt she has reason to settle for something like TOB.

by Anonymousreply 33April 17, 2018 1:38 AM

ONLY as an old broad did she get nominated for her one Oscar, which she lost, r33.

by Anonymousreply 34April 17, 2018 1:43 AM

So they threw her an honorary Old Broad Oscar party and gave her a party favor.

by Anonymousreply 35April 17, 2018 1:44 AM

I miss these old broads

by Anonymousreply 36April 17, 2018 2:00 AM

I'm still here, cunt, r36.

by Anonymousreply 37April 17, 2018 2:36 AM

Whereas Joan Collin has been dead inside for decades.

by Anonymousreply 38April 17, 2018 2:37 AM

*Collins, you cunts.

by Anonymousreply 39April 17, 2018 2:38 AM

[quote]June [Allyson] opted out last min so they had to settle for some unknown old lady to play Collins' mother.

Strangely enough, June Allyson's final acting credit on IMDb is from "These Old Broads" as "Lady in Hotel (uncredited)".

by Anonymousreply 40April 17, 2018 2:47 AM

After being directed by Barbra I need a break from cunts.

by Anonymousreply 41April 17, 2018 3:00 AM

Betty, you could've given Babs lessons, and that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 42April 17, 2018 3:01 AM

I never understood Bacall's fame.

by Anonymousreply 43April 17, 2018 5:20 AM

Bacall was this crisp-mannered, ice queen on the big screen who left an impression on the audience. She was never the most beautiful, but was a top-notch clothes horse who made most of what she wore looked high fashion. Still, her A-lister status had more to do with her association with Bogart than acting skills. Also, she aged very well by old Hollywood standards, which allowed her to play the In a way, she had more personality than actual acting range. Definitely more icon than actress.

Taylor and Reynolds were both bigger stars than her though. As was the younger but even more talented MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 44April 17, 2018 5:34 PM

Edit: Also, she aged very well by old Hollywood standards, which allowed her to play the same kind of icy lady roles into her midlife and eventually golden years.

by Anonymousreply 45April 17, 2018 5:35 PM

I personally think clothes hang better on fit, toned Bacall than the thinner Audrey Hepburn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 17, 2018 5:45 PM

[quote]Whereas Joan Collin has been dead inside for decades.

Joan shows up once in awhile on the Brit sitcom "Benidorm."

by Anonymousreply 47April 17, 2018 6:04 PM

These Young Broads

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2018 2:45 AM

In the late 60s, after they've made up again. Those may have been the last days in history when making a film starring them together could have been profitable. After the 70s, neither of them could retain box office power since midlife broads just don't sell, let alone old ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2018 2:59 AM

Carrie and Meryl collaborated on a screenplay in the early 90s while M was preggers with the last of her spawn. I wonder what became of it?

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2018 3:32 AM

I ignored this thread at first, but finally read it this evening. You all (I'm Southern-adjacent) had me cackling with laughter. Thanks, guys.

by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2018 4:29 AM

Too bad the movie wasn't nearly as funny as the thread about it, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2018 9:12 AM

Lauren did not get Oscar nominated in her prime like Liz and Debbie but she did get involved with some decent film projects well into her golden years. I do miss all 3 of them.

by Anonymousreply 53April 23, 2018 4:51 PM

Why does OP think JC was out of place?

She was in the motion pictures too!

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2018 3:32 AM

[quote]She was in the motion pictures too!

Bitch please. She wasn't in the same league.

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2018 4:43 AM

I was offered my choice of whichever Old Broad I wanted to play, but, instead, chose the role of "New Yorker" writer Susan Orlean in "Adaptation". Another Oscar nomination for this performance, and no regrets, obviously, about saying no to the fun but frivolous small-screen doodle "Old Broads".

by Anonymousreply 56August 9, 2018 4:53 AM

Jonathan Silverman was!!! SO HOT AND GAY IN THIS!!!

by Anonymousreply 57August 9, 2018 5:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!