Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Glenn Close's Oscar Campaign begins. The trailer for "The Wife" is here.

Can it actually happen for her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222November 8, 2018 10:52 AM

I'm sure she'll do as well as she always does.

by Anonymousreply 1April 10, 2018 6:55 PM

I hope so. Also of interest is that the lovely Harry Lloyd appears in the film and I'd bet vital organs on his mohood.

by Anonymousreply 2April 10, 2018 6:57 PM

Wasn't Logan Lerman supposed to have a part in this?

by Anonymousreply 3April 10, 2018 7:03 PM

Christian Slater... wow. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 4April 10, 2018 7:07 PM

I think Jessica Tandy was passed over for the role for being too young

by Anonymousreply 5April 10, 2018 7:13 PM

When you get your first Oscar at her age, it’s a pity award.

by Anonymousreply 6April 10, 2018 7:21 PM

I can’t tell if that’s her on the left or right.

by Anonymousreply 7April 10, 2018 7:23 PM

The G and M comments on this forum make me laugh like a drain.

by Anonymousreply 8April 10, 2018 7:26 PM

Elizabeth McGovern vows, "I WILL NEVER STOP DOING MY WEIRD, MINCING 'DOWNTON ABBEY'VOICE!"

by Anonymousreply 9April 10, 2018 7:40 PM

Give me an Oscar, dammit!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10April 10, 2018 7:42 PM

I interviewed her around the time Damages was ending. She was so funny and self-deprecating. I really would love to see her honored for her career. I mean, Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons alone were masterful performances.

by Anonymousreply 11April 10, 2018 7:46 PM

I actually didn't know until I read this thread that Close has actually never won an Oscar. They should just give her a pity one. I wonder why she has never won, do not enough people in Hollywood like her?

by Anonymousreply 12April 10, 2018 8:14 PM

She has been nominated 6 times r12, but it was just never "her year". It happens.

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2018 8:15 PM

I think I have an old one somewhere in the attic somewhere. I could just fedex it to her and have her stop with all the embarassing theatrics.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2018 8:15 PM

After viewing the trailer I feel as if I've seen the entire film. And it was boring. Unless a weekend fling with Swedish rent boy or something is in the film count me out.

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2018 8:21 PM

[quote]After viewing the trailer I feel as if I've seen the entire film. And it was boring.

Since when does a movie have to be good to win an Oscar off of it?

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2018 8:23 PM

Fair point, r16, but The Academy is much less strict about quality when the actor is beloved and the Academy feels they owe her for past injustices. In poor Glenn’s case, I only hope and pray she gets another quality opportunity before it’s just too late.

M.

by Anonymousreply 17April 11, 2018 12:07 AM

I’m glad she finally gets to portray a woman

by Anonymousreply 18April 11, 2018 2:23 AM

by Anonymousreply 19April 11, 2018 3:38 AM

G is not likeable... she doesn’t connect with the audience.

by Anonymousreply 20April 11, 2018 3:42 AM

I've enjoyed her performances over the years. She's done some excellent work. I mean, would we still be talking about Fatal Attraction if someone else had done the role - there was a veritable who's who considered.

If Close ever does win an Oscar, I hope it's for a great performance where no one can say it was a pity Oscar. it's also be nice if M were one of the other nominees - though that would mean that M got yet another nomination further cementing her own legacy, even if she doesn't even win another one.

by Anonymousreply 21April 11, 2018 4:09 AM

Losing to Cher had to really sting

by Anonymousreply 22April 11, 2018 5:20 AM

Isn't this a bad time of the year to release a film looking to score during the awards season?

Also, Michelle Pfeiffer is in a film that just came out (someone posted a trailer the other day) and she's getting great reviews.

by Anonymousreply 23April 11, 2018 5:32 AM

Why does she look like Old Patty Duke now? She just came out as mentally ill a few weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 24April 11, 2018 5:33 AM

Moments in that trailer she seemed very Judy Dench to me.

One thing I have admired about Glenn is she can give a performance like she did in "The World According To Garp". Then give a performance like the Marquise De Merteuil in "Dangerous Liasons".

by Anonymousreply 25April 11, 2018 5:39 AM

Glenn has a greater range than Streep.

by Anonymousreply 26April 11, 2018 5:51 AM

A minoxidil delivery needs to happen for her.

by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2018 6:11 AM

The film isn't due for a release in the USA until August 3.

by Anonymousreply 28April 11, 2018 6:37 AM

Thanks, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29April 11, 2018 6:38 AM

Meryl Streep doesn't deserve even one. Way overrated but then, so is Glenn Close.

by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2018 6:55 AM

Oh, just let her have one. But only Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2018 7:02 AM

At least I had the decency and guts to admit that I knew.

by Anonymousreply 32April 11, 2018 11:10 AM

I think for Glenn the best award at this point is some kind of Honourary Oscar... Lifetime Achievement... Never Stopped Trying... something like that.

by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2018 11:48 AM

[quote]I interviewed her around the time Damages was ending. She was so funny and self-deprecating. I

Well, she'd have to be.

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2018 11:50 AM

[quote]I mean, Fatal Attraction and Dangerous Liaisons alone were masterful performances.

And lets not forget Maxie.

by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2018 11:52 AM

Of all the Oscars she has lost, losing to Cher was the worst. Her portrayal of Alex in Fatal Attraction has stood the test of time. Cher was great in Moonstruck, no doubt about it, but there’s no world that was better than Glenn or even Holly Hunter in Broadcast News. I think Glenn will join that list of esteemed actors forever denied by the Academy. Along with Annette.

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2018 11:52 AM

Is she not liked in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2018 11:57 AM

She has a future in voiceovers

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2018 12:02 PM

M are you sniping from the set of Big Little Lies? What's you take on Witherspoon and Nicole's forehead?

by Anonymousreply 39April 11, 2018 12:22 PM

Fan of M but I must admit G is great in the trailer. Hope she gets the O next year.

by Anonymousreply 40April 11, 2018 12:30 PM

I agree R25. Those were two fantastic parts and she was excellent in them. She has done a ton of good work. She deserves a win but I'm sure she'd prefer to win with something outstanding and I'm not sure this picture is it.

by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2018 12:38 PM

There was a joke about no one wanting Meryl to be in the new season of Big Little Lies on Will & Grace. Sorry about that, M.

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2018 4:52 PM

The M shit has never been funny or witty.

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2018 5:18 PM

And yet it persists for decades, R43. Odd if no one is the least bit amused.

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2018 5:29 PM

Her biggest competition is going to be from Ronan. But it could be Glenn's "year" to win.

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2018 6:00 PM

Nobody's amused by the M shit, it's one or two idiot posters. Weird if they're gay, but none of the posts are in any way funny.

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2018 8:08 PM

R46 is so sad....awwwww

by Anonymousreply 47April 11, 2018 8:20 PM

The M thing is a DL tradition. It comes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 48April 11, 2018 8:53 PM

And if you don't like DL traditions, come downstairs with me, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 49April 11, 2018 10:33 PM

Looks great, it would be great if she finally got one.

by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2018 1:22 AM

Just read the book, because waiting 'til August... I knew how it was going to end from about page 20.

Don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 51April 12, 2018 1:29 AM

"Can it actually happen for her?"

Glenn? Close. But no cigar.

by Anonymousreply 52April 12, 2018 1:35 AM

I know it would mean so much for her to have another Oscar nomination.

A seventh miss would put her ahead of Deborah Kerr and dear Thelma Ritter, after all. She would be in Richard Burton's and Peter O'Toole's territory of estimable failures.

An astounding lack of achievement for her.

And so deserved.

by Anonymousreply 53April 12, 2018 1:47 AM

Cher was expected to win, partially because she wasn't nominated for Mask, part of it was that she was one of the biggest stars on the planet in 1987, and her movie was a smash and a very Oscar friendly movie. Holly Hunter won most of the critics choice awards. Sally Kirkland financed her Oscar campaign after she won the LA Film Critics Award for Anna and the studio that had put out the movie had told her that they had no money for an awards campaign. I thought Kirkland could have had a nice career as a character actress in better projects after Anna, but she took a lot of low budget crap that featured her as a hot leading lady. She was great in Roseanne and frightening as Mark and David's mother, but alas I guess she wanted to be the new Sylvia Miles.

by Anonymousreply 54April 12, 2018 1:48 AM

That trailer... seems a bit soapy to me.

by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2018 1:52 AM

Honey, it's "Still Alice" by the numbers. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2018 1:53 AM

This looks awful. So sad to see that she is playing a man again

by Anonymousreply 57April 12, 2018 1:56 AM

No movie released in April is going to be given Oscar consideration.

The serious contenders are released around December/January.

by Anonymousreply 58April 12, 2018 2:02 AM

Who does her work? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 59April 12, 2018 2:04 AM

R36, your declaration "....but there’s no world that was better than Glenn or even Holly Hunter in Broadcast News" seems to miss the fact that in this real world Cher's performance was, indeed, the one that has endured.

Ms. Close's wonderful work in "Fatal Attraction," after so many years, now looks like overacted scenery chewing to many people, after all, despite some moments of humor. Since her characterization ultimately turned into a depiction of an inexplicable monster behaving in an inhuman way, detached from believable motives. As with all of her work,

Close always takes a technical, outside-in approach to her characterizations, and her inability to fully endow her characters with the sense of themselves within severely limits her work. In "Fatal Attraction" she needed a different approach more than ever but could not stretch to get there. She just isn't that good. It can work in her favor, as in "Dangerous Liaisons," her best performance, where a disconnected and incomplete character fits her limits. But note how both Kathy Bates and Anthony Hopkins DID know how to achieve that reality of character, and note that they DID win Oscars for meeting the challenge of humanizing their monsters.

Acting like a crazy, hysterical person may stick in some people's minds as "great acting." After all, many people lack sophistication and discernment, and they are fully justified in the level of their taste. It's great to be entertained on any level. Holly Hunter, too, was fine, but limited by a script and direction that left her character - and her performance - hollow and rather shallow. She did what she could but there's the scent of sit-com in it.

But that year Cher's performance in what was, remember, her ninth movie (for people who sniff that she wasn't really an actor) managed to convey a rebirth that was touching, nuanced, ridiculous, witty, believably punctuated and fully humanized as part of great ensemble work. I am not a Cher fan, but after all these years I remember her character's best moments and the gorgeous freedom she evolved into.

There is no real question about it, except for personal tastes. Cher deserved the win more than many actors who have won over the years.

by Anonymousreply 60April 12, 2018 2:19 AM

Glenn will always be the sad bridesmaid who stares at all her past gowns in the basement

by Anonymousreply 61April 12, 2018 2:26 AM

Glenn is the Lorna Luft of the Meryl Glenn dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 62April 12, 2018 2:30 AM

r60 Glenn Close's performance in Fatal Attraction was a great performance. I guess you've never known any borderline personalities IRL. She was frighteningly accurate.

by Anonymousreply 63April 12, 2018 2:31 AM

R60 is a verbose douche bag. In no universe would I want to be seated next to him (her?) at a dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 64April 12, 2018 4:15 AM

Why is she playing a man again? This movie is not going to win shit!

by Anonymousreply 65April 12, 2018 4:28 AM

Close has to win, if only to end the monotonous fucking “M” from polluting this site with jokes that a fifth-rate drag queen who can only rate a slot on late Monday night at Peoria’s worst gay bar would reject as too dumb.

by Anonymousreply 66April 12, 2018 4:47 AM

Trailer looks great, and Glenn is getting rave reviews from critics. The Oscar is hers to lose, and I couldn't be happier about that. She deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 67April 12, 2018 5:14 AM

By the time the big heavy-hitter movies come out at the end of the year--for Oscar consideration--this movie and Glenn will be long forgotten even if it's a great movie with an outstanding performance by Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 68April 12, 2018 5:19 AM

Thank God for r66.

The M jokes are so unfunny. Not even witty. Definitely not clever.

by Anonymousreply 69April 12, 2018 5:22 AM

All this talk about Close vs. Cher, or Hunter, or even Kirkland (Streep had the pleasure to have a pressure-free seat filler ride that year), when the real standout that year was a the not even nominated Maggie Smith in The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne.

by Anonymousreply 70April 12, 2018 7:20 AM

For those of you saying an August release will be forgotten come Oscar season, Meryl's Julie and Julia was released in August and Florence Foster Jenkins was a summer release too.

Also, Devil wears Prada was June.

I think it could be a meaty role for Glenn and I hope she finally takes one step close to EGOT. I think it's a shame she hasn't won more Emmys; she's done terrific work on TV.

by Anonymousreply 71April 12, 2018 9:16 AM

If the producers are wise they will have the film screened at Cannes. Look at how Isabelle Huppert gained momentum for Elle after the Cannes screening which led to her Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 72April 12, 2018 9:22 AM

OVER MY DEAD BODY.

by Anonymousreply 73April 12, 2018 9:28 AM

Love her. So much better than Jess Lange. It's her turn. I hope she wins. If not, they owe her an honorary one.

by Anonymousreply 74April 12, 2018 9:33 AM

R72 I don't see how it was good for Isabelle Huppert to be humiliated in front of the entire world by an actress 25000 times her inferior, and her campaign was so botched she didn't even make the baftas, which was a sure win for her. She could sue Sony for the way they mishandled her. Now she's back to obscure korean projects, and we'll never see her nominated again. I don't particularly like her, but that was WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 75April 12, 2018 9:34 AM

How come a movie screened at a major festival like Cannes never seems to get screened later in the year at say, The Venice Film Festival? Are the big ones mutually exclusive?

by Anonymousreply 76April 12, 2018 9:53 AM

[quote]Her biggest competition is going to be from Ronan.

Has anyone actually seen "Mary, Queen of Scots" yet? It could very well end up a turkey, seeing as it's being directed by a first-time film director.

by Anonymousreply 77April 12, 2018 11:44 AM

These awards are devalued—Emma Stone won for "La La Land," for chrissake.

by Anonymousreply 78April 12, 2018 11:45 AM

This is supposed to be a “Great” performance by Glenn. Jeffrey Wells raves about it and Oeter Bradshaw put it up with Fatal Attraction and Danferous Liaisons.

by Anonymousreply 79April 12, 2018 3:06 PM

Dangerous liaisons should have won 'best completely phoned in performance by a leading actresses in a written-to-be-subtle role' at every major award ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 80April 12, 2018 3:17 PM

100% on Rotten Tomatoes with rave reviews for Glenn all around.

The picture is a bona fide hit!!!

And the Oscar goes to....Glenn Close for The Wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 12, 2018 3:18 PM

If Mary Poppins Returns is a hit, Meryl could be nominated for Best Supporting Actress, which means they would both be at the Oscars ceremony. If Glenn wins Best Actress, Meryl will be the first person on her feet to cheer for her.

by Anonymousreply 82April 12, 2018 3:22 PM

[quote] After viewing the trailer I feel as if I've seen the entire film.

So she wrote her husband's shit and he gets a Nobel for it. She loses her shit, one assumes.

Cora Crawley farts her baby doll voice on screen.

Slater does another bad Nicholson imitation.

Do I have it right?

by Anonymousreply 83April 12, 2018 3:26 PM

[quote]So she wrote her husband's shit and he gets a Nobel for it.

Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 84April 12, 2018 3:30 PM

Their feelings are the film are fairly meh, but the early reviews are all ecstatic in their praise of Close. Indiewire gave the film a B-, but they still say

[quote] Those who maintain that acting is all about reacting might very well have found their master text.

[quote]One cannot over-stress the high-wire difficulty of Close’s accomplishment here.

by Anonymousreply 85April 12, 2018 3:38 PM

Fun fact: Oscar, like Glennie, is totally bald!

by Anonymousreply 86April 12, 2018 3:38 PM

Fuck her, and fuck Hilary Skank too!

by Anonymousreply 87April 12, 2018 3:39 PM

She is a very heavy actress and a legit FUG

by Anonymousreply 88April 12, 2018 3:42 PM

R88 = Patti LuPone

by Anonymousreply 89April 12, 2018 3:44 PM

R84 - the novel does have the wife being the real author of the husband's work and she intends to leave him and expose the truth but then he has a heart attack so she doesn't do either. That's the revelation and the twist ending.

by Anonymousreply 90April 12, 2018 4:04 PM

Is there any penis in this film?

by Anonymousreply 91April 12, 2018 4:17 PM

I luvvv Jonathan Pryce.

by Anonymousreply 92April 12, 2018 4:19 PM

r81 100% with nine critics, none of whom are Top Critics, doesn't really say much. And the average score is below 8 so the movie's not a masterpiece either.

No score yet on Metacritic.

by Anonymousreply 93April 12, 2018 4:35 PM

He speaks very highly of you, r92.

by Anonymousreply 94April 12, 2018 4:45 PM

Answer my film festival question please

by Anonymousreply 95April 12, 2018 4:50 PM

I remember when this was supposed to have been released last year but got pushed at the last minute (after Glenn had done a number of interviews promoting it) until this year. How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 96April 12, 2018 4:57 PM

It's "Big Eyes" with ink!

(Oscar campaign -- oops, "Big Eyes" didn't get any nominations not even for Lana's music and they had to try hard to ignore two songs).

by Anonymousreply 97April 12, 2018 5:20 PM

The "Liasons" loss to me is far worse than the one to Cher -- because Jodie got hers rightfully a couple of years later and, let's face it, "The Accused" was a bit of a B-picture (with no other nominations). And her work in "Liasons" would've been a perfect one for an Oscar for Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 98April 12, 2018 5:22 PM
by Anonymousreply 99April 12, 2018 7:18 PM

R96, it did NOT become delayed at the last minute. Her interviews were given during the festivals. The movie was under the radar. The decision to release it in 2018 was made soon after the raves for her performance came out of Toronto to give her the best chance at winning, not at just being nominated. Last year had a field of veteran nominees and ingenues and Streep was considered in the running for 5th place.

by Anonymousreply 100April 12, 2018 7:32 PM

I hope she gets her beautiful tits out again before she pops off. Haven't seen them since Fatal Attraction

by Anonymousreply 101April 12, 2018 7:38 PM

Ewwww

by Anonymousreply 102April 12, 2018 7:42 PM

Yeah Sony Picture Classics made the strategic decision to to wait a year on this movie because they thought the best actress field last year looked too stacked.

by Anonymousreply 103April 12, 2018 7:44 PM

What other women could be up this year? Emily Blunt for Poppins?

by Anonymousreply 104April 12, 2018 7:56 PM

Very smart. Had others done the same, Diana Ross would've been the first black woman to win Best Actress YEARS before Halle and Angela Basset would have one too.

by Anonymousreply 105April 12, 2018 7:56 PM

Early predictions have Felicity Jones (On the Basis of Sex), Julianne Moore (My Life on the Road), and Saoirse Ronan (Mary, Queen of Scots) as likely oscar contenders for next year.

by Anonymousreply 106April 12, 2018 8:05 PM

Can't stand Rowan and her squishy face

by Anonymousreply 107April 12, 2018 8:13 PM

Jada Pinkett-Smith will NOT be happy with that list of nominees, r106!

by Anonymousreply 108April 12, 2018 8:20 PM

Regina King is a very safe best for supporting actress nom for "If Beale Street Could Talk"

by Anonymousreply 109April 12, 2018 8:22 PM

When did Glenn do any nudity for a role?

by Anonymousreply 110April 12, 2018 9:47 PM

"Big Chill" crying in the shower, "Fatal Attraction" post coitus with a sheet that moves on and off her tits between shots (and it was up for an Oscar for EDITING, oy).

by Anonymousreply 111April 12, 2018 10:27 PM

[quote]Of all the Oscars she has lost, losing to Cher was the worst. Her portrayal of Alex in Fatal Attraction has stood the test of time. Cher was great in Moonstruck, no doubt about it, but there’s no world that was better than Glenn or even Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

None of those performances hold a candle to Barbra Streisand in Nuts. She should have won her second Oscar that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 12, 2018 10:38 PM

I can’t even remember who won this year.

by Anonymousreply 113April 12, 2018 10:38 PM

Taraji will be getting a nomination this year for The Best of Enemies, and could be Close's best competition for the award.

Shasharash Ronan in a remake of a Vanessa Redgrave/Glenda Jackson vehicle? Was Pia Zadora not available?

by Anonymousreply 114April 12, 2018 10:41 PM

[quote]If Glenn wins Best Actress, Meryl will be the first person on her feet to cheer for her.

Standing on them.

by Anonymousreply 115April 12, 2018 11:05 PM

Is Glenn in the running for best actor? Because this awful movie looks like it’s about two old gay men who bicker and look like each other

by Anonymousreply 116April 12, 2018 11:43 PM

I cringed a little at her reading what I am assuming is her husband's book -- and it's called "The Walnut". Not to be confused with Ibsen's "The Walnut".

by Anonymousreply 117April 13, 2018 12:24 AM

Her husband wrote a book about his prostate?

by Anonymousreply 118April 13, 2018 12:32 AM

Fun Fact: Frances McDormand was originally cast as the young Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 119April 13, 2018 11:22 AM

[quote]Her biggest competition is going to be from Ronan.

Ronan Farrow only just came out as trans, and now she's in the running for a Best Actress Oscar? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 120April 13, 2018 11:32 AM

r110 Glenn no longer does nudity. Manscaping issues.

by Anonymousreply 121April 13, 2018 4:05 PM

Give this woman an oscar already.

by Anonymousreply 122April 13, 2018 4:59 PM

R122 Viola?

by Anonymousreply 123April 13, 2018 6:09 PM

Is this going to any festivals this year?

by Anonymousreply 124April 14, 2018 4:14 PM

It’s opening and closing in August. A marriage about two old gay men will flop

by Anonymousreply 125April 14, 2018 4:58 PM

It might get a Best Pic nom

by Anonymousreply 126April 14, 2018 5:18 PM

Glenn is winning

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2018 11:10 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 11, 2018 12:36 AM

I’ve seen the movie, and Close is winning the Oscar. The performance starts out with a lot of subtle stuff and she does it well, and then the final half hour is one big scene after another. She’s drunk! She’s yelling! She’s crying! She’s trying not to cry! No matter what you want for the Oscar clip, Close does it. And that does sound dismissive, but this is probably her best performance other than “Dangerous Liaisons,” and it’s complete Academy catnip in the same way that Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine” was.

Jonathan Pryce might also get a nomination if the studio pushes him as Supporting, even though he has a leading role. Max Irons is kind of terrible, but he’s pretty and looks good in a tuxedo, and Elizabeth McGovern has a scene where she’s as weirdly affected as she was on “Downton Abbey,” but it still worked for me anyway.

by Anonymousreply 129June 27, 2018 4:50 AM

It is my most fervent prayer that this role at last wins dear Glenn the golden Oscar she so richly deserves.

That is why I turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 130June 27, 2018 5:01 AM

No accent. No bad wig. No even worse singing. Glenn’s role in “The Wife” has as much appeal to Meryl as a remake of “Porky’s.”

by Anonymousreply 131June 27, 2018 5:28 AM

I REALLY REALLY want Glenn to win this.

by Anonymousreply 132June 27, 2018 5:34 AM

She is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 133June 27, 2018 2:25 PM

Fuck Glenn and Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 134June 27, 2018 2:34 PM

In profile, Glenn looks like Pat Nixon. That would be a good role for her too.

by Anonymousreply 135June 27, 2018 2:42 PM

Win? Is this film even on anyone’s radar?

by Anonymousreply 136June 27, 2018 2:53 PM

The movie looks ok and with Hollywood being slightly anti-male at this moment she stands a good chance a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 137June 27, 2018 3:00 PM

Thanks for the scoop r129.

by Anonymousreply 138June 27, 2018 6:55 PM

Glenn Close's film career would have been better had she ALWAYS played "The Wife."

by Anonymousreply 139June 27, 2018 7:00 PM

R137's comment about Hollywood being "anti-male" is hilarious since Hollywood is run by males and most Academy members are male. I guess butthurt MRA Republicans don't care about the facts.

by Anonymousreply 140June 27, 2018 9:41 PM

Isn't she doing "Sunset Blvd."? I thought THAT was her obvious Oscar movie.

by Anonymousreply 141June 27, 2018 10:26 PM

A long-delayed, mediocre musical with unavoidable comparisons to one of the greatest films ever made seems destined for failure, R141. “Sunset Blvd.” feels like it would be as successful as “The Producers,” even without a Susan Stroman to fuck it up.

by Anonymousreply 142June 28, 2018 2:36 AM

The trailer looks so good. I haven't actually been excited to see any non-blockbuster, action, superhero movie in a long time. I can see people getting excited to see this. It will be a box office and critical hit. I live in the middle of nowhere, but I will drive the two hours to see it at the movie theater that has these types of films.

by Anonymousreply 143June 28, 2018 2:48 AM

[quote] It will be a box office hit.

This movie will not be a box office hit. I don't mean it as a diss, I look forward to seeing it, but it won't be.

by Anonymousreply 144June 28, 2018 2:53 AM

R144 is right. As much as I loved it, it’s not going to be a huge box office hit. I’d predict $15-25 million domestic theatrical at best, because Sony Pictures Classics just isn’t as good as the other boutique divisions like Fox Searchlight at getting audiences to theaters.

But like “Still Alice,” it won’t matter when the Academy votes for Best Actress (and “The Wife” is a much better movie).

by Anonymousreply 145June 28, 2018 3:00 AM

It will, r144. I'm never wrong about what movies will be BO hits. People will be drawn to this movie. It'll make over 50 million domestic. Remember my post. 💅

by Anonymousreply 146June 28, 2018 3:04 AM

I think you’re wrong, R146, but I hope you’re right.

by Anonymousreply 147June 28, 2018 3:37 AM

R146, you sound like a bore.

by Anonymousreply 148June 28, 2018 5:12 AM

Having seen the film I can imagine Close winning - she's good but hardly Oscar worthy IMO - primarily due to the 'overdue' factor. But if other performances come along that get better reviews and to better box officer she'll have a fight on her hand.

Also, how the film performs at the box office will have an impact on chances.

I didn't care much for Jonathan Pryce which in some ways is a compliment as he is playing a totally odious character and Max Irons has fuck all to do except look sullen. Christian Slater is as sleazy has he usually is (appropriate for the role I must say).

The films biggest failing is the revelation is very much of the 'yeah I not really surprised - I didn't see it coming but I was not that engaged.

In the end Closes chances of an Oscar win will depend box office, competition and critical reception. And my final word on Close in The Wife is whilst she was good, she deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 149June 28, 2018 5:43 AM

[quote]Also, how the film performs at the box office will have an impact on chances.

But not that much. Still Alice didn't even crack $20M domestically and yet Julianne Moore won. Halle Berry won for Monster's Ball, which did about $30M at the box office. Marion Cotillard took the Oscar for La Vie En Rose, which only took in $10M.

by Anonymousreply 150June 28, 2018 5:57 AM

I hope Glenn wins and it looks like she just might do that.

The naysayers all have their biased reasons for not wanting her to win, but if Julianne Moore could win for "Still Alice", Close can definitely win for this.

by Anonymousreply 151June 28, 2018 6:08 AM

I admire her in tough old bird roles...but there's also something about her that's dull as dirt, offscreen.

I've liked her better in DAMAGES and THE SHIELD than anything she's done in film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 28, 2018 6:34 AM

But keep in mind that Still Alice and Monster's Ball were released a lot latter in the year than The Wife which is opening in August - that can, not always, be a handicap.

by Anonymousreply 153June 28, 2018 6:37 AM

I can't even get excited TALKING about Glenn.

Though I do include this, because the 3:00 mark is funny. (I don't think the entire desktop was supposeed to go...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154June 28, 2018 6:51 AM

Close always gets shorted. She's like the youngest in a trio of greats: her, Streep and Lange. Really, those three are the most exciting actresses of their generation. Some even might say of the last 40 years.

Lange, Streep and Close were and still are as adventurous as they come. From drama to horror to musical numbers, from film to television to theater, they keep go going and giving it their all.

It's about time Close join her other two sisters as an Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 155June 28, 2018 7:04 AM

[quote] Her, Streep and Lange...those three are the most exciting actresses of their generation.

Mmm..."exciting" is not a word I'd ever use to describe Close.

Perhaps "dependable" (?)

by Anonymousreply 156June 28, 2018 9:05 AM

I wouldn't us 'exciting' to describe Lange either.

And what 'horror' films has Meryl made? I know she has made a lot of horrible films but I don't recall anything from the horror genre itself. Still of the Night is as near as she has ever come and that is more of a thriller.

by Anonymousreply 157June 28, 2018 12:42 PM

Lindsay Duncan was the definitive Merteuil in the original RSC production and acted circles round Glen. Shame she never got to repeat the role on film. That would’ve been Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 158June 28, 2018 12:56 PM

No one knows who the fuck Lindsay Duncan is, dear.

by Anonymousreply 159June 28, 2018 1:58 PM

It’s surprisingly funny/surreal in parts.

Jonathan Pryce is also great, and I usually hate his schtick.

Christian Slater held his own with Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 160June 28, 2018 2:47 PM

Will she win? There's a reason why her last name is Close. Whether she flashes her penis in the film or not r91 she is always close but never achieves the Big O r40

by Anonymousreply 161June 28, 2018 5:05 PM

R18 Hey M, when will you get to play something other than a grasping cunt?

Asking for your husband.

by Anonymousreply 162June 28, 2018 5:56 PM

I hope she wins. It would be humiliating if she were to be beaten by that awful ginger Irish girl or someone who has already won before. All M jokes aside I'm sure it stung a bit when Meryl won her third for The Iron Lady over her Albert Nobbs, especially given both their movies got crappy reviews. Glenn has never felt the love.

by Anonymousreply 163June 28, 2018 6:18 PM

Is there anything Cher can be nominated for?

The look on little Glennie's face when she won over her AGAIN would sure be Oscar worthy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164June 28, 2018 6:36 PM

Mamma Mia 2 but it would be in Supporting and no way that is happening anyway. She looks shellacked in that trailer.

by Anonymousreply 165June 28, 2018 6:38 PM

I wish someone would ask Glennie which of her Oscars losses annoyed her the most. Maybe all of them do!

by Anonymousreply 166June 28, 2018 6:39 PM

The "Accused" one would be my guess. That really was hers and Jodie would've been just fine with hers in two more years.

And "Accused" really is a bit of a B movie, let's face it.

by Anonymousreply 167June 28, 2018 6:47 PM

(When you're in a Best Picture nominee and your film really is considered great, it must hurt more. At least Cher had that as did Glenn that year too. But Jodie and 'Iron Lady"... no.)

by Anonymousreply 168June 28, 2018 6:51 PM

Jodie was awful in The Accused. Trying too hard to shock and prove she was grown up and serious. And yes, there's no way someone with her very narrow range should have 2 Oscars when poor old Glenn has 0.

by Anonymousreply 169June 28, 2018 6:53 PM

And yet, the the Gods have spoken...

by Anonymousreply 170June 28, 2018 6:57 PM

My friend and I used to call Jodie "Huff and Puff" in that movie. She looked on the verge of hyperventilllation throughout. Still love her, though.

by Anonymousreply 171June 28, 2018 7:41 PM

Looks boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 172June 28, 2018 7:50 PM

Is campaigning required really? Is G really campaigning for it? How are these campaigns conducted? Did M campaign for hers too?

by Anonymousreply 173June 29, 2018 4:48 AM

I would offer to pay for Glennie's Oscar campaign, but sadly the amount of money it would take to help her actually WIN is beyond my humble resources.

It's unfair to favor one charity over another...

by Anonymousreply 174June 29, 2018 5:06 AM

^^ (signed) M

by Anonymousreply 175June 29, 2018 5:06 AM

She's winning. I feel it.

Also, I just nabbed a copy of the Albert Hobbs blu ray for like 3 bucks at a CD Trader store. She really is fantastic in it.

She should've won that year.

by Anonymousreply 176June 29, 2018 6:18 PM

Oh dear don't tell me G's films are found in the discount bin already.

by Anonymousreply 177June 29, 2018 8:59 PM

R140 yes, it is still ran largely by man and it will be for sometime. There of been women in huge positions at studio since the late 70s.

I am not MRA, a Republican or a right winger.... hahaha I love how when you make one comment enough in a forum that someone thinks they know your entire life story and can denigrate you if they see fit.

Hollywood is slightly anti-mail at the moment. A lot of people looked the other way for a long time so I’m not saying that some of it isn’t justified but a lot of you people just love to be on the side that hates whatever is fashionable at the time. No commonsense just emotion.

Hollywood is slightly anti-male at the moment. A lot of people looked the other way for a long time so I’m not saying that some of it isn’t justified but a lot of you people just love to be on the side that hates whatever’s fashionable at the time. No common sense just emotion.

Common sense is voting for Hillary Clinton even though you think she’s a phony and don’t trust her as far as you could throw her because Trump scares you even more…

Emotion is screaming, “Impeach!!!!” When Mr. Mueller hasn’t finished his investigation.

Snowflake.

by Anonymousreply 178June 29, 2018 10:21 PM

[quote]R178 Hollywood is slightly anti-mail at the moment.

Yes, it's all pro-phone calls. And it makes me SICK!

by Anonymousreply 179June 29, 2018 11:17 PM

Will Glenn receive her Best Actress Oscar from her Air Force One co-star, Gary Oldman?

by Anonymousreply 180June 30, 2018 5:30 PM

What is the big twist plot in The Wife?

Is the Glenn Close character a dyke? Because she sure looks like one in the poster.

by Anonymousreply 181July 1, 2018 8:37 AM

r159 don’t judge others by your own low standards.

by Anonymousreply 182July 1, 2018 9:26 AM

Yes to Glenn!

by Anonymousreply 183July 3, 2018 1:47 AM

I love the Meryl posts. But I do think he has shot. Cher...just because. Cher.

by Anonymousreply 184July 3, 2018 2:00 AM

I thought "M" was for Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 185July 3, 2018 2:03 AM

[quote]“It’s the best thing she’s ever done,” insists one Oscar voter after viewing Glenn Close’s performance in “The Wife” at a private screening recently cohosted by Martha Stewart in East Hampton, New York. “She’s got my vote.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 1, 2018 2:12 PM

Hoda is on Team Glenn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 4, 2018 5:27 PM

Glenn will be an EGOT if she gets an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 188August 4, 2018 5:34 PM

I hope this doesn't turn out to be just a backfired campaign and she falls to win--again. I don't think she could take it at her age.

by Anonymousreply 189August 4, 2018 5:35 PM

[quote]Glenn will be an EGOT if she gets an Oscar.

No she won't. She has 3 Grammy noms but no wins.

by Anonymousreply 190August 4, 2018 5:39 PM

Just went to SAG Film Society screening. Close is wonderful, the film isn’t. I think Close will be nominated but won’t necessarily win the Oscar if she has tough competition. The film lets her down somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 191August 6, 2018 9:20 PM

Meryl won number three off a good performance in a forgettable movie r191.

Glenn deserves to win, I hope voters won't let her down.

by Anonymousreply 192August 6, 2018 9:21 PM

Just saw it today. Not very good, and though she's fine, it could have been played by any number of other actresses and some wouldv'e been even better, too. And it's pretty early in the season. A pity nomination, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 193August 6, 2018 10:04 PM

Max Irons is not good at all as her son. And Jonathan Pryce is miscast as her husband. He’s not believable as a New York Jew. Her real life daughter Annie is very good as her character as a young woman, though.

by Anonymousreply 194August 6, 2018 11:04 PM

Try losing an award to Goop

by Anonymousreply 195August 6, 2018 11:08 PM

I have known her for years, she's a lovely woman, warm, funny and she deserves an Oscar and a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 196August 6, 2018 11:10 PM

Christian Slater’s OK in it playing a ridiculous cliche of a character.

by Anonymousreply 197August 6, 2018 11:31 PM

Saw it last night. There's no fucking way the Oscar is going to anyone but Glenn. She was a force of nature in this film. This is her year, no doubt at all.

by Anonymousreply 198August 19, 2018 2:28 PM

If she wins, it will be her first...first Oscar teehee.

And last...

by Anonymousreply 199August 19, 2018 3:01 PM

Finally, great minds like r169 have spoken the truth about Jodie Foster and her wooden acting style. She’s terrible in this film. She won because she got gang banged on film.

by Anonymousreply 200August 19, 2018 3:05 PM

Glenn Close is the Barbara Stanwyck or Deborah Kerr of the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 201August 19, 2018 3:07 PM

Not after the next Oscars, R201. Close will win this time.

by Anonymousreply 202August 22, 2018 3:28 PM

Download Link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 16, 2018 9:48 AM

she is like angela landsbury: alwys look like a man

by Anonymousreply 204October 16, 2018 10:05 AM

Awful film. Sorry, Glenn. No one will vote for this film.

by Anonymousreply 205October 16, 2018 10:21 AM

Word is that Glenn probably won't get a nom. This film is dead on the vine.

by Anonymousreply 206October 16, 2018 10:24 AM

As long as there’s no Gaga, I’m down with Glen.

by Anonymousreply 207October 16, 2018 10:41 AM

Isn't "Glen" always down, R207? Don't worry, I can't remember how to spell her name either.

by Anonymousreply 208October 16, 2018 8:58 PM

Yes dear r206, I'm sure you are so in the know with all the academy voters.

by Anonymousreply 209October 16, 2018 9:35 PM

[quote]Word is that Glenn probably won't get a nom.

Oh, is that what THE WORD is? LOL you silly queen. Glenn is without question getting a nomination. And probably the win, too.

by Anonymousreply 210October 17, 2018 4:43 AM

this shit show is set in Sweden and they didn't sneak one ABBA number in it?? Amateurs!

by Anonymousreply 211November 3, 2018 9:31 PM

she in the Jamie lee Curtis slot of sexuality?

by Anonymousreply 212November 4, 2018 1:53 AM

I'm just content that my four LEAD actress Oscars won't be surpassed. Try following that, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 213November 4, 2018 2:03 AM

Glenn's the sort of 'actress' that doesn't win best of the year but for which the Honorary Oscar was created for.

by Anonymousreply 214November 4, 2018 8:46 AM

Gaga has been smart for years - old Hollywood loves her. Her Sound of Music shtick, recording with Tony Bennett have all been calculated for this moment = an Oscar win. Glenn is out of her element competing with Gaga. Glenn is a nice woman, but Hollywood really thinks of her as a 'New York' type actress. She won't get the votes to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 215November 5, 2018 7:35 AM

You’re trying R215.

by Anonymousreply 216November 5, 2018 9:32 AM

"Glenn is a nice woman, but Hollywood really thinks of her as a 'New York' type actress."

Plenty of "New York-type" actresses have won Oscars, dear at r215.

by Anonymousreply 217November 7, 2018 1:45 PM

R215 how do you explain her 6 noms then?

by Anonymousreply 218November 7, 2018 3:14 PM

Glenn will be sucking cocks and taking shots for this one

by Anonymousreply 219November 7, 2018 6:23 PM

r219, do fuck off, trash.

by Anonymousreply 220November 7, 2018 6:31 PM

Glenn has no glamour, no excitement. No one cares if she wins an Oscar except for a few delusional fans who post on here like it's Tiger Beat or something.

Gaga is a class act, gorgeous and MULTI talented. The world loves Lady Gaga - she's a brand name. Most millennials would think Glenn Close is a guy.

by Anonymousreply 221November 8, 2018 7:52 AM

Glenn has been reaching out to voters, suggesting a tea q&a.

by Anonymousreply 222November 8, 2018 10:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!