Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joaquin Phoenix is a delicate flower tortured by fame

"Last Thursday in Los Angeles, a crowd of low-key Hollywood types — actors, producers, Moby — crowded into the Taschen Gallery for a party to celebrate the new film “You Were Never Really Here.”

Meanwhile, the movie’s star lurked outside, utterly unnoticed. When he finally came in, sporting a grizzled beard and silver-tinged man bun, Joaquin Phoenix retreated to a shadowy corner with actor pal John C. Reilly and two other scruffy dudes.

“He’s really outside his comfort zone tonight,” observed a longtime Phoenix friend. “And his comfort zone doesn’t go too far to begin with.”

In fact, when Phoenix, 43, was named best actor for the thriller at Cannes, he leaned over to actress girlfriend Rooney Mara to ask her what had just happened. Stumbling to the stage, he looked more traumatized than triumphant, barely managing to stammer out a few self-deprecating words.

//

"Phoenix eschews LA’s favored lifestyle: he reportedly doesn’t hike, go to the beach or hit major restaurants — preferring a strict vegan diet of vegetables from his own garden.

“His circle of friends is as tight as he can keep it,” adds the friend. “Not a lot of people are going to get him . . . [and] he’s good with that.”

Sources point out that Phoenix became more of a recluse after a stint in alcohol rehab in 2005. And he’s found the perfect introvert partner. After only a few relationships, including a romance with Liv Tyler in the ’90s and seeing a 19-year-old DJ when he was 39, Phoenix is now with wallflower Mara, 32.

“They’re meant for each other,” said the friend. “Both [are] shy homebodies, both loathe press.” When the two have ventured out, they’ve been spotted at vegan restaurants and a colonics spa.

“God forbid he gets an Oscar this year,” said a publicity exec who has worked with Phoenix. “He may not make it to the stage. Everyone wonders, ‘Is he really that sensitive — or does he just want you to think he’s weird?’ You’ll always be confused about him. Which actually is kind of weird.”"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2020 11:06 PM

I think seeing his brother die right in front of him, especially after seeing what Hollywood (the industry) did to said brother, destroyed a big piece of him. He despises the industry but is talented so still lives within it. Plus his childhood was majorly fucked up. I love him and always root for him. But he's a whackjob.

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2018 7:24 PM

It's such bullshit. He can afford to be a recluse. He wouldn't be so delicate and tortured if he had to get out there everyday like the rest of us. Well, he might be tortured, but he wouldn't be claiming some sort of identity over it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2018 7:27 PM

I forgot to add that I'm a frau who fucking adored River. Jesus, that boy was HOT. Wait, am I a frau? I'm a straight, married, liberal woman with no kids by choice. Idk. Whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2018 7:30 PM

I was looking forward to his leaving the movies

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2018 7:31 PM

" In fact, when Phoenix, 43, was named best actor for the thriller at Cannes, he leaned over to actress girlfriend Rooney Mara to ask her what had just happened. Stumbling to the stage, he looked more traumatized than triumphant, barely managing to stammer out a few self-deprecating words. "

I actually can relate. I was up for a pretty big award one year and when my name was announced (lucky me) my hearing kind of went away. I heard a ringing in my ear and had to ask my friend sitting next to me what had happened. It's a weird thing I guess that happens when you don't expect something big to come your way, but it does.

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2018 7:38 PM

He was raised in a cult and had to deal with this.

Gets a permanent pass from me, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2018 7:39 PM

Is Mara straight? I thought there were some rumours of her being bi or lesbian...

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2018 7:45 PM

His whole "Artist" shtick has always annoyed the fuck out of me. Maybe its just Im superficial,but I could never stop staring at his weird lip thing to appreciate his talent. River was far more talented.Plus Joaquin looks like he stinks all the time.

by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2018 7:50 PM

Mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2018 8:20 PM

If he so "eschews Hollywood" why did he even go to the fucking awards show to begin with? Gimme a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 10April 10, 2018 1:50 AM

"I'm a straight, married, liberal woman with no kids by choice. Idk. Whatevs. "

OMG! LOL! IKWYDLS!!!

by Anonymousreply 11April 10, 2018 1:53 AM

R2 I agree.

But the Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect™ is the ultimate in self worship.

by Anonymousreply 12April 10, 2018 1:57 AM

r12 Absolutely! it is just as self centered and egotistical to be the "introvert" who always bad mouths themselves and looks down at the floor, etc. as it is to be the "HEY, LOOK AT ME!" yelling guy. They both get you the same amount of attention but one is super fucking annoying and one is less annoying.

by Anonymousreply 13April 10, 2018 2:03 AM

Not everyone is smart. Let’s just say he’s stupid, because there’s no other indicators that he’s not.

by Anonymousreply 14April 10, 2018 2:41 AM

Don't remember where or exactly how long ago, but I distinctly recall reading an interview with Joaquin where he stated, very matter-of-factly, that he lost his virginity at 4 years old... Not 14, 4. He didn't go into anymore detail, but I'm guessing by "losing his virginity" he meant "take it up the ass" because I highly doubt 4-year-old boys are physiologically capable of performing sexually.

Maybe he was coked up out of his mind during the interview and just making a "shocking" joke for shits and gigs, but I've always wondered why that just kind of flew under the radar. It's always been interesting to me how some certain celebs manage to achieve mainstream success despite having the sketchiest backgrounds imaginable (Mark Wahlberg, anyone?).

by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2018 3:54 AM

R15

Wasn't the cult his parents were involved in known for sexually abusing children?

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2018 4:14 AM

It was River who said he lost his virginity at 4. He allegedly lost his "second virginity" while working on Stand By Me but I remember reading one biography about him and he had sex for the second time in his family's backyard in a tent while his parents were outside the tent like it was some sacred event.

I think Joaquin/Leaf just hates press and acts weirder than he is. I recall one interview where he said his mother told him while she was pregnant with him she felt a pain and he was born with a scar on his lip. Why not just say he was born with a cleft lip like he obviously was?

by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2018 4:15 AM

Can't stand him. He's ugly, repulsive and the most overrated actor in Hollywood. Pity it was River who died, not him. And no way they were full brothers. His mother was in the Children of God sect and they fucked anybody.

by Anonymousreply 18April 10, 2018 4:19 AM

Didn’t he pull this some weird schtick years ago to promote a movie?

[quote] When the two have ventured out, they’ve been spotted at vegan restaurants and a colonics spa.

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 19April 10, 2018 4:20 AM

awesome thriller full of twits/n twists...

very fun

admit it tho: he is sooper doosh in real life

the movie succeeds despite him. he has serious addiction issues.....

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2018 4:27 AM

Colonics spa. Just when I thought Rooney Mara couldn't have less of a personality.

And River was hotter and a better actor.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2018 4:39 AM

R17 you're right. I looked it up (because it was driving me crazy) and turns out I remembered wrong; it was actually River, not Joaquin, who stated that he lost his virginity at the age of 4. I'm just glad that I wasn't going crazy and imagining weird shit. Weird that River's fucked-up parents never suffered any legal repercussions from him revealing that, but I guess it was a different time back then (also there's statute of limitations, lack of evidence, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2018 4:45 AM

It sounds like from the description above that Joaquin and Mara are making each other more mentally ill and bringing out the worst in each other emotionally.

So they just stay in all the time and are scared of humanity ?

Does this relationship mean that Mara has quit her (alleged) longtime fuckbuddy relationship with David Fincher?

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2018 4:54 AM

[quote]“They’re meant for each other,” said the friend. “Both [are] shy homebodies, both loathe press.”

When Joaquin Phoenix was making that fake documentary about having a mental breakdown he was mostly relying on and using press and TV appearances to drum up the interest.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2018 4:55 AM

Yeah, and no way is Rooney Mara *shy*. She’s a fucking actress who has made it to the top of her career in Hollywood. No way did she do that (with all the competition, etc.) by being “shy”.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2018 5:00 AM

You can never be too old to dress like a hipster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2018 5:06 AM

Mara is a lesbian and Harveysexual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 10, 2018 5:07 AM

[quote]Yeah, and no way is Rooney Mara *shy*. She’s a fucking actress who has made it to the top of her career in Hollywood. No way did she do that (with all the competition, etc.) by being “shy”.

They're confusing shy with anti-social. I attended a Q&A for "Carol" and you could have sat a fern in her place and you would never know the difference.  She loves acting, she does what it takes to get the role but I don't see her courting press.  It works for her somehow. Her sister works steadily but she doesn't get the same attention that Rooney does.

by Anonymousreply 28April 10, 2018 5:08 AM

I hate him but I love Lynne Ramsay as a director I want to see Ramsey's new film but it's too hard watching a film with Phoenix in it #crying Wish she had cast someone else!

by Anonymousreply 29April 10, 2018 5:11 AM

Wow, [R26], that is one *tiny* bag of groceries.

Why did they even bother leaving the house??

by Anonymousreply 30April 10, 2018 5:11 AM

Mara and his former gay merkin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 10, 2018 5:13 AM

Mara loves drama and she always call the paps

by Anonymousreply 32April 10, 2018 5:14 AM

Now that uncle Harvey is out of game Mara needs new methods to stay in the public eye of course she beards and lies for publicity

by Anonymousreply 33April 10, 2018 5:16 AM

[R31], he looks really depressed there and she looks really butch.

by Anonymousreply 34April 10, 2018 5:19 AM

He looks homeless ... and smelly.

by Anonymousreply 35April 10, 2018 5:22 AM

River was a mediocre actor who gets propped up because he died. I'm so tired of it. He always came off as a total fucking airhead. "I Love You To Death", his first scene in particular, is some of the worst acting I've EVER seen. He was decent as a teen actor but wasn't clicking at ALL in adult roles. Anyone who thinks he's a better actor than Joaquin is full of fucking shit. You could tell in Parenthood Joaquin was better.

by Anonymousreply 36April 10, 2018 5:22 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 10, 2018 5:22 AM

Rooney is a fraud more than he is. A few years ago I was in San Diego in a quaint cove area near La Jolla and this was when every picture of her was in jet black clothes and black leather jackets and black biker boots leaving the gym no less lol ... much like she dresses now for the paparazzi she contacts on the regular .......and she was wearing brand new pink nike trainers shiny as hell, light blue jeans, and a white oxford shirt ... she looked like a lacrosse player from Princeton .... or Jennifer Garner ......

Rooney's whole thing is an act and a facade. I still wince at the sight of her, without her "dragon tattoo heroin addict grunge hipster" uniform on for the public persona.

As for Phoenix, I hope he OD's and dies soon like his bruvahh. What a waste of a human. Another weirdo who's never worked a day in his life and is a complete an utter fraud as well.

by Anonymousreply 38April 10, 2018 5:29 AM

River was just the male Winona Ryder. Had the right look as a teen and is beloved by late 80s/early 90s nostalgia loser and that's it. My Own Private Idaho was the most boring movie ever.

I like Joaquin though. Can be a little annoying sometimes but he's one of the few people who feels authentic interviews.

by Anonymousreply 39April 10, 2018 5:31 AM

At least Mara is not in the film, R29. There is no bigger blank on the big screen.

They must have known each other for a while since they were both in Spike Jonze's film Her (thankfully, she only has one full scene in the entire film - and she is bad in it).

by Anonymousreply 40April 10, 2018 5:33 AM

I'm also fucking sick of the River/Heath Ledger martyring. Neither were anywhere near as special as people remember they were.

by Anonymousreply 41April 10, 2018 5:34 AM

Emma Stone is so obviously lesbian she dated Andrew Gayfield and one of her former fake boyfriends is now transitioning lol

She's a mediocre actor at best and If she was out she could never win an Oscar

by Anonymousreply 42April 10, 2018 5:35 AM

Who is transitioning, [R42]?😮

by Anonymousreply 43April 10, 2018 5:36 AM

I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman in Doubt was better than Ledger in The Dark Knight

by Anonymousreply 44April 10, 2018 5:36 AM

Wow, great story, [R38]! I believe it.

by Anonymousreply 45April 10, 2018 5:37 AM

R43 he's not famous but he used to fake date Emma Stone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46April 10, 2018 5:38 AM

Emma Stone was the worst thing in Birdman.

by Anonymousreply 47April 10, 2018 5:39 AM

River was going to play the Christian Slater role in Interview with the Vampire which was literally the has-been role. But people always act like he was dominating the actor world when he died LMAO.

Joaquin is becoming a bit typecast lately, but he's been great in quite a few films. He's the better actor.

by Anonymousreply 48April 10, 2018 5:39 AM

Stone repeats herself in every movie and had never played a serious role in a drama movie she's not a great talent

by Anonymousreply 49April 10, 2018 5:40 AM

River was james Cameron's first choice for Jack Dawson

by Anonymousreply 50April 10, 2018 5:41 AM

I remember that now, [R36]! What a surprise. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 51April 10, 2018 5:41 AM

James Cameron has admitted that when he first started thinking about Titanic (1997) in the early nineties, he favored River for the lead.

by Anonymousreply 52April 10, 2018 5:43 AM

River would have been great in “Titanic”.

The report above said that Emma dated Teddy for *2 years*. What an odd story...

by Anonymousreply 53April 10, 2018 5:45 AM

Emma Stone's bearding history

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 10, 2018 5:46 AM

Joaquin was excellent in the underrated and underseen Two Lovers. Fishsticks was suprisingly decent too. Playing herself of course.

by Anonymousreply 55April 10, 2018 5:47 AM

I think he's a great actor and I like him. Hes often kind of adorable and pure interviews. I don't get the hate. And some of you hoping he OD's. WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 56April 10, 2018 5:50 AM

Is You Were Never Really Here any good? I liked Morvern Callar but We Need To Talk About Kevin was god awful.

by Anonymousreply 57April 10, 2018 5:53 AM

Are he and that scumbag Casey Affleck even still friends? I haven't seen them together since I'm Still Here came out. Casey publicly moved on from his sister almost immediately after they split it seemed.

by Anonymousreply 58April 10, 2018 5:58 AM

River never did anything for me. Joaquin does sometimes though. He was hot as fuck in To Die For. His character is almost mentally challenged yet he weirdly OOZED sex. When Kidman is giving him a blowjob and Gus Van Sant is shamlessly objectifying him.

by Anonymousreply 59April 10, 2018 6:07 AM

Oh dear, someone is agreeing with themselves in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 60April 10, 2018 6:13 AM

river phoenix was a moron. the whole family is like a bizarre manson-esque brady bunch.

and who the fuck is rooney mara?

by Anonymousreply 61April 10, 2018 6:17 AM

"Her" was the worst most fake-deep movie ever. 2 hour of him adjusting his glasses and delivering monologues that felt like they came straight from a 15 year old's tumblr account.

by Anonymousreply 62April 10, 2018 6:22 AM

their real last name is bottom. wouldn't YOU be fucked up and totured too?

by Anonymousreply 63April 10, 2018 6:31 AM

[quote]He despises the industry but is talented so still lives within it.

Oh please. He doesn't 'live within the industry' because he's talented - he keeps acting because what the hell else is he going to do for a living? Do you think he has any other viable skills for employment?

by Anonymousreply 64April 10, 2018 6:32 AM

eh, i'd rather watch him than those mediocre turds ryan gosling and leonardo dicaprio. rooney mara can fuck off though. she brings absolutely nothing to any of her movies.

by Anonymousreply 65April 10, 2018 6:37 AM

He has always looked like trash to me and have always found his films unwatchable....sex would be like fucking a dumpster

by Anonymousreply 66April 10, 2018 7:18 AM

R22 River admitted in later interviews that he just made that shit up for shock value. Others around him also said he was pretty drugged up and wasted by that point.

I forgot Joachin did the Parenthood movie. He was also in The New Leave It To Beaver as Leaf Phoenix. He was a good actor as a kid. He’s a shit actor as an adult. He probably fried his little brain on those outings with his dead brother.

by Anonymousreply 67April 10, 2018 7:35 AM

R57 It’s not quite as bad as WNTTAK, but like that one it’s not even a film really, just a series of gestures pasted together. There isn’t much of a narrative thread, without that serving any esthetic purpose. She elides almost all the well-marketed brutality, partly for easy style points, partly I suspect because she can’t direct action properly. Pedophilia and abuse are used for edge and salaciousness, but their inclusion removes any moral complexity. It’s smoke and mirrors catnip for a particular species of mediocre middlewit. I suspect Lynne has plenty in common with the breed, so in that sense she has achieved a certain brand of artistry.

by Anonymousreply 68April 10, 2018 8:44 AM

Isn't it based on something written by Johnathan Ames? Then of course it's bad.

by Anonymousreply 69April 10, 2018 11:47 AM

Is the movie in wide release yet? Was there a red carpet?

by Anonymousreply 70April 10, 2018 2:27 PM

I do wonder if he’s the product of an affair by the mom when they were all in the sex cult like someone mentioned upthread? He looks *so* different from River and looks sort of ethnic while River never looked that way...

by Anonymousreply 71April 10, 2018 2:30 PM

Joaquin and his sister Rain look alike.

by Anonymousreply 72April 10, 2018 2:41 PM

River

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 10, 2018 2:48 PM

They both hate the press, huh? Yet, they managed to also make the NYC premiere of his film. What a load of bollocks.

These celebs think their fans are so gullible, that they'll believe any bullshit they spew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 10, 2018 2:54 PM

She’s homely as sin.

by Anonymousreply 75April 10, 2018 3:16 PM

He can't act. He's ugly as R75 already mentioned and he only became famous because of his brother.

by Anonymousreply 76April 10, 2018 3:26 PM

Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 77April 10, 2018 3:30 PM

It's not easy being high in neuroticism and low in extroversion while living in the limelight. Some people just aren't temperamentally suited for fame.

It's a shame what hard living and age has done to his features. He was so handsome in his prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 10, 2018 3:37 PM

That's a hard looking 43 year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 10, 2018 3:45 PM

LOL @ people saying he can't act. Y'all are fucking stupid. Nobody gives a shit about River Phoenix anymore. What good movies did he ever make?

by Anonymousreply 80April 10, 2018 3:50 PM

I think he's a great actor, he should have won the Oscar for his portrayal of Johnny Cash. I forgot who he was up against that year, but I do remember at the time thinking he was robbed.

There's a bunch of clueless people in this thread, which is par for the course with DL these days.

by Anonymousreply 81April 10, 2018 4:02 PM

[quote]Nobody gives a shit about River Phoenix anymore. What good movies did he ever make?

My Own Private Idaho, Running on Empty, The Mosquito Coast, Stand By Me, Sneakers, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade,

by Anonymousreply 82April 10, 2018 4:04 PM

Oh dear, those are what you call good movies? I'll accept Stand By Me. That's it. My Own Private Idaho is tedious as all hell and one of the most overrated films of the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 83April 10, 2018 4:10 PM

r80 Says you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 10, 2018 4:12 PM

delicate my ass

by Anonymousreply 85April 10, 2018 5:33 PM

What R1 said. I mean I don't feel "starving kids in Africa" sorry for him, but I don't doubt his brother is a big part of why he's fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 86April 10, 2018 6:04 PM

I'm figuring none of the Phoenix family ever had professional training in acting or music? IIRC, one or two of the sisters are singers, think one of them toured with the Red Hot Chili Peppers years ago.

If that's the case, then both brothers are excellent actors.

by Anonymousreply 87April 10, 2018 6:18 PM

He was raised in that weird children of God cult. He probably has major issues from that. If they both love acting and hate the adoration, they can do small films, regional theater , open an acting school. Maras family is in the 1%.

They have other resources. They are making choices and they choose to put themselves in positions of public interest.

by Anonymousreply 88April 10, 2018 6:22 PM

Rooney's family are billionaires, they own some sports team. IIRC, both sides of her family are extremely wealthy.

Isn't her sister Kate married to Brit actor Jaime Bell?

by Anonymousreply 89April 10, 2018 6:30 PM

Yes, Kate is Mrs. Jamie Bell.

by Anonymousreply 90April 10, 2018 6:44 PM

Well aren't we a bunch of nice folks. Despite all the bile directed toward him- he's a major film actor, making films and living his life as he sees fit. Too bad it is offensive to those who know nothing of it- particularly the fame part- ah yes, DL.

by Anonymousreply 91April 10, 2018 6:52 PM

I believe that some actors' contracts REQUIRE that they promote the film--chat shows, red carpets, etc. (or should I say "ect."). You can hate parts of your job and still do it.

by Anonymousreply 92April 10, 2018 6:53 PM

Isn't he supposed to be a weird surly creep and we already know what a walking bag of shit his best buddy Casey is.

by Anonymousreply 93April 10, 2018 7:01 PM

He can act. He went from growing up in a bloody cult to working in Hollywood and his brother died in front of him on the way. Of course he’s fucked up. Alot of people are.

Unlike many of them in Hollywood he keeps himself to himself these days, is not a publicity whore, makes unusual choices in films ( don’t have to like them ) and, as yet, hasn’t appeared in one of those superhero pieces of shit. He also doesn’t look like a piece of plastic wed to diet and gym.

On a scale of 1 to 10 on an ‘ annoying celebrity never out of my face ‘ he doesn’t even get to 0.

So he’s vegan, gets colonics and stays at home otherwise.

What do you want ? Tom Hiddlestone ?

by Anonymousreply 94April 10, 2018 7:18 PM

Rein it in there, Johnny Drama at r94. He made a fucking MOVIE about how reclusive and eccentric he is, he absolutely wants people to watch his life and to get in our faces. He announces he's retiring from acting all the time, he makes a job out of playing "go away/come here" with the public. Again, if he were so anti Hollywood he wouldn't even be going to awards shows where he could act humble and dazed about winning something.

by Anonymousreply 95April 10, 2018 7:28 PM

He’s a great actor but this movie is shit. Ramsey is a pretentious twat of a director.

by Anonymousreply 96April 10, 2018 8:11 PM

Not really into him. I don't get it. He could leave the business. It's bullshit. I think he's gay anyway. That childhood footage of him. He's sweeter than bear meat.

by Anonymousreply 97May 13, 2018 4:10 PM

The real torture is having to sit through his “performances.” He’ll never compare to his brother.

by Anonymousreply 98May 13, 2018 4:24 PM

[quote] Wait, am I a frau? I'm a straight, married, liberal woman with no kids by choice. Idk. Whatevs.

Writing "Idk. Whatevs" in 2018 (!!!) CONFIRMS you are a frau.

by Anonymousreply 99May 13, 2018 4:36 PM

[quote] and who the fuck is rooney mara?

She's Charlie Nobody, that's who!

by Anonymousreply 100May 13, 2018 4:47 PM

Frau please get lost

by Anonymousreply 101May 13, 2018 4:52 PM

Kind of funny when the men here can't win an argument, they accuse other posters of being a "frau".

It's getting damn tedious.

by Anonymousreply 102May 13, 2018 5:26 PM

If I saw them at a mall or somewhere I'd be kind of afraid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 13, 2018 6:37 PM

Sorry to the lady being attacked as a frau, but r99's post made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 104May 13, 2018 6:47 PM

Joaquin is a great actor, probably better than River.

Hollywood took advantage of River? Bullshit, his parents took constant advantage of River.

by Anonymousreply 105May 13, 2018 6:54 PM

In my opinion, Joaquin and Mara are the least liked couple in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 106May 13, 2018 6:57 PM

I've heard too many stories of him being a weird asshole to ever want to watch anything he stars in and the fact that his best friend is sex pest Casey Affleck speaks volumes.

by Anonymousreply 107May 13, 2018 7:00 PM

I like him as an actor, but only an attention whore would have done the type of self-exposing documentary he did a few years back. It seems he needs to "act" when he is off camera and not only on film sets.

Both Phoenix and Mara seem like they want to project an image of who they are to the public (down to the clothes they wear). There is nothing authentic about that, it's very constructed.

by Anonymousreply 108May 13, 2018 7:02 PM

The frau was the one who brought up being a frau--no one would have accused her of it otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 109May 13, 2018 7:15 PM

A friend of mine saw him at a restaurant bar, he was drinking with friends, over 10 yrs ago, I remember thinking he was supposed to be sober when he told me. Phoenix tipped 5 dollars for every drink he had. This was in nyc

by Anonymousreply 110May 13, 2018 7:20 PM

Here's the clue - if you don't want fame, don't continuously seek it.

Don't act in movies. Don't go to high profile events. .

99.9% of the human race aren't famous - invisibility isn't hard, especially when you have the cash.

Just GO AWAY if you require anonymity.

Your CHOICE

by Anonymousreply 111May 13, 2018 7:22 PM

River was a much more engaging actor with a wider range. Joaquin is best at playing morose oddballs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 13, 2018 7:48 PM

A lot of stars genuinely HAVE gone away when they got sick of being famous. Daniel Day-Lewis gave up acting for years by becoming a cobbler's apprentice in Italy; Gillian Anderson got sick of her fame in the US and did prestige projects in the UK, and Molly Ringwald did the same for a while in France. And of course Deanna Durbin did the same thing.

Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara could so the same sort of thing: they have made more than enough money to live on quite handsomely for the rest of their lives if they really hated fame that much.

by Anonymousreply 113May 13, 2018 7:54 PM

I just came to post:

Many years ago Joaquin was in a long term relationship with Liv Tyler. Liv Tyler's mom wrote a book with Vicktor Bockris called "Rebel Heart" about her life as a rock star groupie. It is filled with a lot of delusional fantasies that Bebe wishes were true. It is an enjoyable trashy read (for the most part) and I am rereading right now.

by Anonymousreply 114May 13, 2018 7:56 PM

Bebe's one true love was Elvis Costello which I thought so odd when I was young, since he's not the hottest of her conquests, but maybe she's deeper than we know.

by Anonymousreply 115May 13, 2018 8:01 PM

It is easy to see that some of you are very young and ignorant...you don't seem to understand what was going on in Hollywood in the late 80s and the 90s. River was a good actor and he was already cast in important roles but you freaks only know super hero movies. At this point, The studios are just a wasteland for C movies.

by Anonymousreply 116May 13, 2018 8:01 PM

The real haters here are just our normal group of racist, right wingers. These dumbos think he is Hispanic because his name is Joaquin.

by Anonymousreply 117May 13, 2018 8:05 PM

Fuck off idiot at r117. You are really reaching if you think hating a pretentious fuck like Joaquin "go away, come here!" Phoenix is a racist act.

by Anonymousreply 118May 13, 2018 8:07 PM

[quote] It is easy to see that some of you are very young and ignorant...you don't seem to understand what was going on in Hollywood in the late 80s and the 90s.

Oh get over yourself, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 119May 13, 2018 8:08 PM

The “documentary” Joaquin and Casey made was fake ... Joaquin built a whole media circus around it with his weird appearance on Letterman and his disastrous rap performances but it was all an Andy Kaufman-type stunt. It was unfortunate, they wasted a considerable amount of time on it at a time when they were both in demand as actors.

by Anonymousreply 120May 13, 2018 8:36 PM

Like so many actors, River was beautiful and interesting to look at on screen, so it made his acting seem better than it was. I watched his Oscar nominated performance in Running on Empty for the first time in probably 25 years and I thought, he’s barely doing anything. Martha Plimpton acted circles around him, but she was not beautiful so nobody made a fuss about her.

by Anonymousreply 121May 13, 2018 8:40 PM

R108 i agree. River was the same way to me. Always acting offscreen too.

by Anonymousreply 122May 13, 2018 9:10 PM

I loved him in the movie HER. He was dorkable and really good in it. He can play a normal guy with a slight weirdness. I have to state he is good at the quirky weirdo type roles.

by Anonymousreply 123May 13, 2018 10:33 PM

I liked River but people built him up like he was the second coming of Brando and Olivier. He showed promise but died too young before he grew more as an actor. Phoenix while less attractive has played some great parts and is always interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 124May 13, 2018 10:48 PM

I wonder if his quirky off screen behavior is an act to keep people at bay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 12, 2019 3:52 AM

[quote]These dumbos think he is Hispanic because his name is Joaquin.

Everyone knows his birth name was Leaf. He didn’t become Joaquin till much later.

by Anonymousreply 126July 12, 2019 3:57 AM

Other way around. His birth name is Joaquin but he was called Leaf because he wanted a nature name like his brother and sisters.

by Anonymousreply 127July 12, 2019 4:05 AM

He will win Best Actor for The Joker.

by Anonymousreply 128September 1, 2019 12:20 AM

Yep, looks like it is shaping up to be his year -- with maybe Pitt winning in Supporting instead. So we can honor two longtimers. I worked with Joaquin and he was a cool enough guy, even if a little Beavis and Butthead. Far from a jerk, though.

by Anonymousreply 129September 1, 2019 12:32 AM

The reviews from Venice are all raves. I love the 'Taxi Driver" look of the movie. I cannot wait.

by Anonymousreply 130September 1, 2019 12:43 AM

Ive thought long and hard about it,and the only 2 actors that I loathe beyond belief and refuse to watch in anything are Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise. Ive liked Joaquin in some things,didnt like him in others,but he hardly incites any fervent feelings in me,unlike so many of you. I thought he was sexy/ugly when he was young,now I just find him ugly,but Id still watch him in something.

by Anonymousreply 131September 1, 2019 12:55 AM

R18 holy shit. you guys are brutal.

by Anonymousreply 132September 1, 2020 7:23 PM

I've been in line with them at a vegan burger place in K-Town. They were just like everyone else, waiting in line in front (it's a popular place). They were quiet and no one bothered them. They seemed fine.

by Anonymousreply 133September 1, 2020 7:32 PM

Honestly, if I could afford it, I’d be a recluse, too. I always admired that about JD Salinger. Not sure it’s possible in this time for a celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 134September 1, 2020 7:38 PM

I have worked with a lot of actors, including his awful fiancee Rooney Mara, and they deserve each other. They are both odious navel gazers from hell. I would never work with either one of them again, and my list of people like that is short.

by Anonymousreply 135September 1, 2020 7:41 PM

I think that if I achieved fame and admiration in my field I'd be the happiest guy in the world. Like Tom Hanks, who doesn't suffer from the adverse affects of fame. He seems to revel in it. I know artists can be tortured souls, and I feel sorry that he cannot take enjoyment from it.

by Anonymousreply 136September 1, 2020 7:49 PM

I love Joaquin as an actor. The guy’s talented AF, and saying otherwise because he’s an anti-social hermit doesn’t make it not true.

I remember when he was running around saying he was a rapper, or some such bullshit, and my first thought was: Next, rehab! Coincidentally enough, I saw him at an AA meeting not long afterwards.

He’s just introverted and I think he self medicates with booze. I can’t say I fault him for any of it. His parents were whack-jobs and having your brother OD right in front of you on a busy street on a Saturday night while people are running around in Halloween costumes, cannot be easy.

What happened to River was fucked up and people should be grateful that Joaquin has never gone fully public with the story behind River’s OD.

Im not saying River wasn’t responsible for his OD, however, the kid was way out of his depth and had more experienced enablers who were also way too caught up in their own addiction issues to understand that River was in major trouble and should have been at home, or in a hospital bed getting an IV, rather than at the fucking Viper Room with a bunch of practicing addicts.

Props to the good souls who accompanied him to the hospital and jumped in that ambulance to hold his hand as he passed.

Poor kid. I’ll tell you guys what- Hollywood went silent on Sunday morning when the news hit.

I wish Joaquin the best and on his own terms. People think people get over trauma and PTSD quickly, and while some may, most of us take years to face our demons and carve out a safety zone for ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 137September 1, 2020 8:07 PM

Agreed R136 I’d enjoy it the perks.

by Anonymousreply 138September 1, 2020 8:08 PM

He was not raised in COG Cult, they got out when he was like 3. If you want 2 know why he's full of himself look at The Pheonix Family Thread. Scroll down. The parts about his father (this family has secrets) and his relationship with Casey Affleck are telling.

And yeah I think he's an elitist BS artist.

by Anonymousreply 139September 1, 2020 8:10 PM

I like he and Rooney together. They look genuinely in love. He looks good here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 1, 2020 8:18 PM

Everybody looks good in photo ops, Brad and Angie looked great and so in love...

by Anonymousreply 141September 1, 2020 8:21 PM

R139, think whatever you want. Joaquin can act and deserves all the acclaim for his portrayal of the Joker.

And he’s just almost always great in anything he does. Someone upthread mentioned Two Lovers, where fish sticks really does play a nicer version of herself. Lol. Anyhow, there was this scene where they go clubbing, and Joaquin get on the dance floor and sets it OFF.

The man has the ability to incorporate a physicality to his acting that many cannot. Christian Bale and Brando had it down. At one point Johnny Depp was on his way, and believe it or not, I’ve seen John Travolta break through as well, where he embodied his body as the character, rather than as an actor playing a character.

Joaquin can do that almost every single time and does so effortlessly. He’s not afraid of making a fool of himself and that willingness to be vulnerable is what people connect to.

by Anonymousreply 142September 1, 2020 8:22 PM

Especially if you're rich and don't ever worry about food, rent, own multiple properties, medical covered..and can make ur family's crap behavior disappear.

by Anonymousreply 143September 1, 2020 8:29 PM

Betcha he treats his girlfriends and PAs and anyone under his power like absolute shit.

Because they're just not as full of pain and deep emotion and awareness of all the suffering in the world as he is they don't deserve any consideration, and even if they are, it's their job to forget about their own feelings and cater to him.

by Anonymousreply 144September 1, 2020 8:48 PM

These two seem like the most unlikely parents - and will probably at some point trade the kid for a pack of ciggies - but these two crazy (in the very real sense of the word) are having a baby

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 1, 2020 8:57 PM

R142 Dont think anybody said he couldn't act. Put your fanbot back in its cage.

by Anonymousreply 146September 1, 2020 9:03 PM

R144, he was absolutely an asshole to Costuming.

by Anonymousreply 147September 1, 2020 9:21 PM

R135 R137 R147 It seems you have some more gossip, please spill!

I am fascinated with River Phoenix and the machinations behind his death. Which other celebrity addicts were there?

by Anonymousreply 148September 1, 2020 9:27 PM

Wouldn't surprise me he's an entitled asshole a lot. Lots of entitled assholes in Hollywood that reproduce themselves creating more entitled assholes that eat up apartment space, jacking up RE prices while everyone else has to move. Fuck. This. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 149September 1, 2020 9:29 PM

Lol, R149.

Truth!

by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2020 11:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!