Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Restaurants in the theater district, NYC

I'm seeing Three Tall Women next week and I can't think of anywhere new for dinner in the neighborhood. Any favorites in the theater district?

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2018 2:56 PM

Are awful and at the same time overpriced. Eat a ham sandwich before you leave home.

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2018 9:28 PM

Becco

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2018 9:40 PM

OP walk further west to 9th Avenue there are a ton of good restaurants in HK. My partner and like Thai, our favorite is Room Service around 48-47 st. and Ninth Ave.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2018 9:40 PM

I like Saju. Casual bistro atmosphere. Never had bad meal there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2018 9:41 PM

Lillies, a Victorian establishment on 49th & 8th. A unique vibe. Decent food.

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2018 9:45 PM

Juniors

by Anonymousreply 6April 8, 2018 9:48 PM

I LOVE this place - it's truly a hole in the wall but some of the best (Northern) Thai food I've had anywhere. They don't take credit cards, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 8, 2018 9:50 PM

Does anyone still go to Joe Allen or has that become for tourists? I remember the menu being a bit limited.

by Anonymousreply 8April 8, 2018 9:50 PM

I just tried Bea on 43rd, just west of 9th Ave. - close enough but out of the theater district mess. Might become my new pre-theater go-to.

by Anonymousreply 9April 8, 2018 9:51 PM

Glass House Tavern. Good food. Family owned, and you're pretty much guaranteed to see someone in the business there before/after shows.

by Anonymousreply 10April 8, 2018 9:54 PM

Don Antonio's Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 11April 8, 2018 9:54 PM

R9 90% of the restaurants in the theater district are tourist traps. I'm not saying the food is bad. There is a better value for your dollar the farther you go from the theater district.

by Anonymousreply 12April 8, 2018 9:55 PM

R12: No shit, Sherlock. I was trying to be helpful and mention a restaurant that I recently discovered that is near the theater district that seemed removed from the usual tourist crowd and crappy food.

by Anonymousreply 13April 8, 2018 10:02 PM

No doubt about it:

Laboratorio 329 W 51st St, New York, NY 10019 (b/t 9th Ave & 8th Ave)

by Anonymousreply 14April 8, 2018 10:04 PM

Hey, i'm going to see a concert at beacon theater soon. any tips? should i sit in the upper balcony? heard toilets are easier access? less people etc?

by Anonymousreply 15April 8, 2018 10:10 PM

I second Becco. Nizza and La Masseria are also good options for Italian in that area.

by Anonymousreply 16April 8, 2018 10:30 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2018 6:48 AM

Westway Diner, OP, if you're looking to go cheap (relative to the area).

Average diner, average food, average service.

But I never fail to see Bway people there, before or after a performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2018 6:55 AM

I usually eat somewhere around 9th in HK. It seems there is always some new and cheap ethnic food place to try out.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2018 7:40 AM

I saw Three Tall Women last week and loved it. (Also saw Yerma and Harry Clarke with Billy Crudup.)

As for restaurants, I went to Becco, Tacuba, a Mexican "cantina" in Hell's Kitchen, and Molyvos, a Greek restaurant on 7th.

I'm a vegetarian, so they all had really nice choices for me, but have carnivorous choices for others.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2018 9:06 AM

Becco is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2018 9:43 AM

It's just not the same since Guy Fieri's place closed.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2018 2:55 PM

PS Kitchen is my new favorite place. It's all plant based, super yummy and the cocktails are amazing!

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2018 2:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!