Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbara Nichols: Hollywood's Smartest Dumb Blonde

She was the archetypal brassy, bosomy, Brooklynesque bimbo with a highly distinctive scratchy voice. Hardly leading lady material, Barbara found herself stealing focus in small, wisecracking roles, managing at times to draw both humor and pathos out of her cheesy, dim-witted characters -- sometimes simultaneously. She seemed consigned for the long haul to playing strippers, gold-diggers, barflies, gun molls and other floozy types named Lola, Candy or even Poopsie. Barbara made the best of her stereotype, taking full advantage of the not-so-bad films that came her way.

Looking back, you have to hand it to Barbara Nichols. As the song from "Gypsy" emphasizes, "You gotta have a gimmick". Barbara did, and she worked it. Like such other platinum blonde bombshells as Jayne Mansfield, Mamie Van Doren, Joi Lansing, Barbara Payton, Cleo Moore, Beverly Michaels and Diana Dors, she rolled with the punches. Unlike those others, she had genuine talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2018 8:43 PM

fug

by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2018 4:06 PM

I loved Barbara. I remember when she played the stripper, Chickadee Laverne, on the "Beverly Hillbillies" who Jethro thinks he's in love with.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2018 4:07 PM

I remember she usually played small roles, but she always stole the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2018 4:14 PM

Rita: What am I, a bowl of fruit? A tangerine that peels in a minute?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2018 9:39 PM

To me, it's a gold medal/award for an actor if they have a classic Twilight Zone on their resume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2018 9:46 PM

r5 That's a classic. And that weird nurse ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2018 11:33 PM

Va-va-va-VOOM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2018 11:35 PM

She could be a bit.....tawdry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2018 11:56 PM

She always played the same character but she did it well. She definitely made even a mediocre production fun just by being in it.

by Anonymousreply 9April 7, 2018 12:03 AM

Harry: "I've got a strange thing..."

June Loveland (Nichols): "Well I don't want to see it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 7, 2018 12:08 AM

[quote] And that weird nurse ...

Better known as Mrs. Spock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 7, 2018 12:29 AM

r1 Frank Sinatra insulted her in "Pal Joey" basically calling her "ugly."

Nichols: My sister worked with you in Fresno. She told me all about you.

Sinatra: Which one was she?

Nichols: The one you didn't get to first base with.

Sinatra: Oh, she was the ugly one. Must be twins.

by Anonymousreply 12April 7, 2018 12:29 AM

Her best role: Sweet Smell of Success.

Palm Springs, don’t tell Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 13April 7, 2018 12:36 AM

Fabulous character actress, so sad she died at 47.

by Anonymousreply 14April 7, 2018 1:02 AM

An ealrier actress who played similar roles was Marion Martin. She was in Lady of Burlesque with Barbara Stanwyck, and Bob Hope's They Got Me Covered, playing Gloria the Glow Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 7, 2018 1:42 AM

Thanks OP, I just finished Koper's biography of Barbara and loved it. I have always loved Barbara. She was like a homely Marilyn Monroe, but she could act.

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2018 8:31 PM

Barbara was super-trashy in Fritz Lang's last American film, BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (56).

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2018 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!