Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies that were panned at the time, but now seem kinda okay

Sometimes the moss a film gathers along the way (notoriety, deaths, star power...) can make a weak movie interesting.

I'm thinking of things like Endless Love; The Misfits; Grease 2; Suddenly, Last Summer; Valley of the Dolls; The Eyes of Laura Mars; Star 80....

by Anonymousreply 87April 6, 2018 1:25 PM

Star!

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2018 9:27 PM

It’s a wonderful life.

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2018 9:29 PM

A Christmas Story

by Anonymousreply 3April 3, 2018 9:34 PM

I love 'this property is condemned ' I think Wood is wonderful in it. And I am kind of fascinated by ' secret ceremony '. Also I re-watched ' the Roman spring of mrs Stone ' last week. It's really weird and half baked, but Vivien Leigh is extraordinary in it. She creates a full blown character out of nothing really. It's all her. There 's absolutely nothing in the script or the dialogue. And you couldn't credit the director for her tour de force, because everyone else is shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 3, 2018 10:14 PM

I love Eyes of Laura Mars...it has such a great Disco feel from the time and the sound track was great

by Anonymousreply 5April 3, 2018 10:18 PM

Speaking of Umbrella B**ch, I think Darling Lili deserves a reappraisal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 3, 2018 10:22 PM

Clue!

by Anonymousreply 7April 3, 2018 10:23 PM

Dune

by Anonymousreply 8April 3, 2018 10:24 PM

"The Misfits" and "Eyes of Laura Mars" were not panned.

Not quite.

by Anonymousreply 9April 3, 2018 11:00 PM

Sylvia Scarlett owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10April 3, 2018 11:03 PM

The Big Lebowski was dismissed when it first came out and now it’s considered a classic.

by Anonymousreply 11April 3, 2018 11:08 PM

Stop lying, R9. Eyes of Laura Mars got panned. More than a few used the byline Styes of Laura Mars.

by Anonymousreply 12April 3, 2018 11:09 PM

That was my first one I thought of r11. Big Lebowski was panned by a lot of critics when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 13April 3, 2018 11:13 PM

The Blue Lagoon. Isn’t there going to be a Criterion release?

by Anonymousreply 14April 3, 2018 11:15 PM

Willy Wonka (1971)

The Wizard of Oz (huge critical and box office bomb when it was first released)

Everything Joan Crawford made in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 15April 3, 2018 11:33 PM

A Wrinkle in Time

by Anonymousreply 16April 3, 2018 11:36 PM

Two Scorsese films: New York, New York and King of Comedy

by Anonymousreply 17April 3, 2018 11:40 PM

The Way We Were

John Carpenter's The Thing

It's a Wonderful Lift

New York New York

by Anonymousreply 18April 3, 2018 11:40 PM

At Long Last Love

Maxie

Superman 3

Xanadu

by Anonymousreply 19April 3, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote]John Carpenter's The Thing

+1. Fantastic classic of America cinema.

Completely panned when it came out.

by Anonymousreply 20April 3, 2018 11:49 PM

Holiday, with Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Judd Law and Jack Black.

by Anonymousreply 21April 3, 2018 11:51 PM

Showgirls

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2018 12:14 AM

R4. I agree. The Roman Spring and Mrs. Stone is a pretty flimsy movie but Vivien Leigh makes it watchable.

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2018 12:19 AM

Lady on a Train starring Deanna Durbin. The reviews were unbelievably bitchy for the time, but the movie is now noted as the only Christmas-themed musical noir film ever made.

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2018 12:24 AM

Groundhog Day. It opened early in it's year, got middlling reviews and was basically dismissed. Now it's universally considered a classic.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2018 12:41 AM

Willing to wager A Wrinkle In Time will grow its base a lot in the next decade.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2018 12:44 AM

Night of the Hunter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2018 1:04 AM

Blade Runner

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2018 1:20 AM

I doubt it will, R26. Not with Oprah in a major role.

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2018 3:29 AM

[quote]It's a Wonderful Lift

That one must still be pretty obscure.

by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2018 3:39 AM

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. It was so different in tone from the show's first season -- and really played up the horror stuff from the second season. It's a batshit crazy movie but, at it's heart, its a devastating story of a cycle of abuse and the insanity associated with it. Sheryl Lee deserved an Oscar for surviving what Lynch made her go through playing Laura Palmer.

by Anonymousreply 31April 4, 2018 3:46 AM

Ishtar. It's not a great movie, but it's certainly entertaining enough if you just go with the flow.

by Anonymousreply 32April 4, 2018 3:50 AM

I'm gonna get raked for this one: Godfather III

Not the masterpieces the first two were. Sofia was woefully miscast. They should have given Robert Duvall the money he asked for. But aside from all that, it was still pretty decent. Pacino, Keaton, Andy Garcia and Talia Shire really gave great performances. And I thought the last 15 minutes were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 33April 4, 2018 4:07 AM

Scorcese's "New York, New York," already quite rightly name-checked above.

Coppola's "One From the Heart"

Coppola's "Cotton Club"

All panned, all wonderful, albeit off-kilter/cock-eyed. The soundtracks are gems.

by Anonymousreply 34April 4, 2018 5:21 AM

R15, that's not true about The Wizard of Oz

by Anonymousreply 35April 4, 2018 5:52 AM

Here's an except from the original Variey review:

[quote]'The Wizard of Oz,’ which springs from Metro’s golden bowl (production cost is reported close to $3 million), is likely to perform some record-breaking feats of boxoffice magic. Given a sufficient period of pre-release showings in selected major spots, favorable word-of-mouth on the unique and highly entertaining features of the film should spread rapidly. It’s a pushover for the children and family biz.

by Anonymousreply 36April 4, 2018 5:57 AM

And the opening paragraph of the New York Times review:

[quote] By courtesy of the wizards of Hollywood, "The Wizard of Oz" reached the Capitol's screen yesterday as a delightful piece of wonderworking which had the youngsters' eyes shining and brought a quietly amused gleam to the wiser ones of the oldsters. Not since Disney's "Snow White" has anything quite so fantastic succeeded half so well.

by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2018 5:59 AM

And according to Wikipedia it was the #9 movie of 1939, out of 365 releases

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2018 6:04 AM

Ghostbusters II. I really disliked it in 1989. It just didn't live up to the first one, but now I enjoy it. It's much better than I remember.

Thank God It's Friday. Yeah it won the Oscar for Best Song but it didn't get great reviews. But it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2018 6:09 AM

Has anyone bought the recent Blu-ray of The Eyes of Laura Mars?

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2018 6:10 AM

R34 One From the Heart. Good choice! One of my all-time favorite soundtracks as well, and visually stunning!

Not so sure about Cotton Club, though.

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2018 7:51 AM

Eyes of Laura Mars was not only panned but received a sketchy release as well, due to a lack of confidence from the distributor.

It was one of those odd films where the soundtrack was in the record bin but it was like, where is the film? When’s it being released? Oh, it already was and tanked. The single, I should say Barbra’s single, charted outside the Top 20, I believe. Or peaked at No. 18.

I know the young gaylings are trying to resurrect this awful film. Good luck. I saw one suggesting on FB a few weeks ago that it would’ve been incredible to see what Elizabeth Taylor would’ve done with the role. Elizabeth Taylor - whom I think was Mrs. John Warner at the time - in The Eyes of Laura Mars! I pissed myself laughing at the sheer, inspired absurdity of that.

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2018 8:18 AM

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever It was considered the last of the great Hollywood musicals, only it wasn't considered great. Not even very good.

I watched it on TCM not too long ago. It was charming, whimsical, and Barbra's voice was in her prime. If they revived it and gave it a special screening at some old Hollywood theater, I bet it would be sold out.

by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2018 8:25 AM

Pauline Kael liked Laura Mars, but I think she was on hiatus when it opened, but she did praise it. Otherwise, yeah, it was panned.

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2018 8:43 AM

Idiocracy. The studio itself (Fox, of course) tried to get it shit upon by critics while graveyarding the release.

But it's now proven to be the most prophetic film of the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2018 8:58 AM

Elizabeth Taylor and Katherine Hepburn were both nominated for the Oscar for Best Actress for Suddenly Last Summer.

by Anonymousreply 46April 4, 2018 9:02 AM

Death to Smoochy is surprisingly good. The last 20 minutes or so are a mess but before that it's very sharp and funny. Ed Norton and Robin Williams are great.

by Anonymousreply 47April 4, 2018 9:38 AM

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever is a delight. It's held up a lot better than other Streisand films that were better received at the time.

by Anonymousreply 48April 4, 2018 9:41 AM

R43, great minds . . . etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 49April 4, 2018 9:44 AM

Vertigo and The Searchers were panned at the time of their release. Now they're considered to be among the greatest films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 50April 4, 2018 9:53 AM

Michael Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" was destroyed by the critics when it was released and was such a financial bomb it bankrupted United Artists. It has been revisited in recent years, getting a Criterion DVD release and is considered a underappreciated masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 51April 4, 2018 7:01 PM

Ernst Lubitsch's 1937 Angel starring "box office poison" Dietrich.

by Anonymousreply 52April 4, 2018 8:23 PM

So when is 'SPEED RACER' considered an unappreciated masterpiece ?

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2018 8:39 PM

I have found every version of "Heavens Gate" unwatchable. It's just a colossal bore.

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2018 9:10 PM

“ET The Extra Terrestrial” was a critical and commercial bomb when it was released but people seem to enjoy it these days.

Am I doing this right? Posting bullshit information on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2018 9:20 PM

i was anout to say Heaven's Gate too. never seen it but i read it's magnificent. and it features Isabelle Huppert so at least it's got that

by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2018 9:28 PM

Nobody heard of Gone With the Wind until it fell into public domain and started appearing on local TV stations

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2018 9:34 PM

Lol R57. I have seen Heaven's gate. It is visually stunning. Absolutely breathtaking. But also unbelievably boring and offensive for the spectator. Who needs to see people shooting themselves in the mouth with a rifle in close up, after 2 hours and a half of carnage ? Isabelle Huppert is a wonderful actress and she was then at her most beautiful, but she is unbelievably miscast as a wild west madam. The true story behind the script has been so distorted by cimino that it's dishonest at any level. Also You can see every dollar spent on the screen, and it's quite uncomfortable. That's a lot of $$$$

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2018 9:57 PM

It’s only a select few who’ve called for a reconsideration of Heaven's Gate. And, honestly, I think they’re being contrary just to be contrary. It’s still a boring, inert and lifeless thing.

by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2018 10:45 PM

Dirty Grandpa. I watched it on cable and laughed my ass off. I don't understand why it didn't become a DL fave.

by Anonymousreply 60April 5, 2018 2:18 AM

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2

Friday the 13th Part 5: A New Beginning

Rocky Horror Picture Show

by Anonymousreply 61April 5, 2018 6:13 AM

Overboard

by Anonymousreply 62April 5, 2018 6:54 AM

Charlie Chaplins later talkie "Limelight" is now deservedly considered a masterpiece and possibly his best film ever but was not recieved very well when first released, partially due to controversy over his political leanings at the time.

"Sex and the City 2" while certainly not the greatest is decent--mildly entertaining fluff that doesnt deserve the rep it has as being terrible.

by Anonymousreply 63April 5, 2018 7:41 AM

The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

[Quote]Although largely critically panned on initial release, it soon became known as a midnight movie when audiences began participating with the film at the Waverly Theater in New York City in 1976. Audience members returned to the cinemas frequently and talked back to the screen and began dressing as the characters, spawning similar performance groups across the United States. At almost the same time, fans in costume at the King's Court Theater in Pittsburgh began performing alongside the film. This "shadow cast" mimed the actions on screen above and behind them, while lip-syncing their character's lines. Still in limited release four decades after its premiere, it is the longest-running theatrical release in film history. It is often shown close to Halloween. Today, the film has a large international cult following.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 5, 2018 8:26 AM

[quote]Groundhog Day. It opened early in it's year, got middlling reviews and was basically dismissed. Now it's universally considered a classic.

Really? I saw it when it was released and even then I knew it was a pretty good film, and it was profitable, well-reviewed, and not very expensive to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 65April 5, 2018 10:22 AM

[italic] 2001, a space odyssey [/italic] received very mixed reviews when it opened in 1968. Now it’s considered Stanley Kubrick’s best film by some critics.

by Anonymousreply 66April 5, 2018 10:31 AM

I liked Dirty Grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 67April 5, 2018 11:00 AM

You have to love any thread that includes enshrinements of both 2001 and Dirty Grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 68April 5, 2018 1:46 PM

R67 isn't allowed to sleep with men anymore.

by Anonymousreply 69April 5, 2018 1:56 PM

Bad Santa? I love that movie. 2 sucked.

by Anonymousreply 70April 5, 2018 1:58 PM

[quote]Nobody heard of Gone With the Wind until it fell into public domain and started appearing on local TV stations

Just checking: that's a joke, right?

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2018 2:04 PM

Bonnie and Clyde was dismissed by most New York critics as being too violent, and the acting and story too countrified amateurish.

Pauline Kael saved if from the trash heap, and it became one of the most successful films of the 60s, ushering in a new era of young, bold filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2018 2:05 PM

Dream on R16

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2018 2:08 PM

Not just Kael, R72.

The opening line of Judith Crist's review:

"With [italic]Bonnie and Clyde[/italic] Warren Beatty and Arthur Penn firmly establish themselves as one of the most excitingly creative teams in American moviemaking."

by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2018 2:12 PM

R71: yes

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2018 2:56 PM

The Magus. even Candice called it "a terrible movie." But I liked it. And the book too.

by Anonymousreply 76April 5, 2018 3:33 PM

The Star - Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2018 3:45 PM

[quote] It's a Wonderful Lift

[quote] That one must still be pretty obscure.

You've never heard of it? It's a heartwarming drama about the man who invented the elevator.

by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2018 5:01 PM

I love "The Boyfriend" but I think most people didn't get it. That it didn't launch Twiggy into superstardom tells me it might not have been succe$$ful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 5, 2018 5:20 PM

I kinda liked The Boy Friend, too. Wasn't it viciously edited for the U.S. release? Another super edited movie musical from the 70's that flopped and has gone on to cult success is The Slipper and the Rose - a musical version of Cinderella starring Richard Chamberlain. It has a lovely score by The Sherman Brothers, but I honestly think I lot of the edits in the U.S. version were wise. The pacing can drag a good deal.

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2018 5:35 PM

The cut versions made no sense and whoever did them paid no attention to the plot and every attention to the clock. That's bad editing.

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2018 5:42 PM

"On a Clear Day..." really does show off Streisand at her best in my opinion -- both as a comedienne and a singer. "He Isn't You" is the most beautiful she has ever sounded and she doesn't remotely push it. "Love and All the Trimmings" too. And those Cecil Beton costumes.

by Anonymousreply 82April 5, 2018 6:01 PM

The Slipper and the Rose was one of the nails in the coffin of Radio City Music Hall as a movie and stage show venue, although it did limp along for three more years after this March 1976 release.

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2018 3:56 AM

See for yourself on TCM early Monday morning (late Sunday night) on May 14 at 12:30am.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2018 4:06 AM

Jeez, Cinderella with a 2.5 hour running time? No wonder it bombed.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2018 5:04 AM

There was a movie called The New Age starring Judy Davis and Peter Weller. They played a Hollywood wealthy power-couple who both had high level entertainment industry jobs. They quit their jobs and decided to open New Age clothing store on Melrose. The movie came and went very quickly with scant attention. Try to seek it out. It has stayed with me all these years.

It also featured an unexpectedly great performance by Adam West. I'm talking Oscar-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 86April 6, 2018 5:16 AM

Cinderella had Richard Chamberlain singing - and singing songs by the Sherman Brothers (who also did Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins - and wrote the song "It's a Small World After All")

How could it turn out well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87April 6, 2018 1:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!