Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO's The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

Anyone here watched both parts?

I thought it was really engrossing, thanks to the abundance of footage of his stand up appearances and clips from his TV shows, and excerpts from his handwritten diaries. It's a no filter portrait of someone who was very harsh on himself and others, but worked hard at being a giving person. Shandling also comes off as rather sensitive, probably more than most people in the business - he had a very hard time getting over disappointments, personal and professional; he seemingly never recovered from the Brad Grey feud.

There is a sense of underlying unhappiness and disatisfaction that he never managed to shake off.

He looked rather unwell in the last ten years of his life (he had undiagnosed thyroid issues, which were followed by a surgery to treat his pancreatitis).

After watching the doc I read what a woman writer, Janis Hirsch, wrote about Shandling for Hollywood Reporter:

"There were two distinct Garry Shandlings: the one I knew, briefly, while working on It’s Garry Shandling’s Show and the one Judd Apatow knew, intensely, over decades. Judd’s Garry was his mentor and, later, his clay-footed shaman. My Garry was a passively malignant emperor who was charmingly self-deprecating about wearing no clothes. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2018 6:00 AM

I could only take him in small doses. And, yes, he looked like absolute shit for at least a decade before he passed. He did have talent and what a sad loss for the entertainment industry. But he was never one of my personal faves.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2018 1:15 AM

I hate him with the heat of ten billion suns.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2018 1:15 AM

I'd bet that I'm not the only one here who loved his old show.....in spite of him.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2018 1:19 AM

Does my ass look fat in these pants?

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2018 12:17 PM

He came off to me looking like a real dick

by Anonymousreply 5April 22, 2018 10:10 PM

The Larry Sanders Show is one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

by Anonymousreply 6April 22, 2018 10:24 PM

Interesting piece on his cringe-inducing interview with Ricky Gervais:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 23, 2018 8:26 AM

That was interesting, yes, R7. I'd like to find the Gervais special.

by Anonymousreply 8April 23, 2018 4:05 PM

The Gervais special was on YouTube several years ago; that's where I saw it. It really was as strange as everyone says.

by Anonymousreply 9April 23, 2018 4:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2018 4:20 AM

Garry was so goddam good, loved the comics glee at Garry loathing of Ricki Gervias, what a cock he is

by Anonymousreply 11May 13, 2018 3:59 AM

Isn't he due for a comeback? HBO should reboot The Larry Sanders Show.

by Anonymousreply 12May 13, 2018 4:28 AM

[quote] Isn't he due for a comeback?

That would be something.

by Anonymousreply 13May 13, 2018 6:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!