Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ABC correspondent Karl Schmid comes out as HIV positive

He's 37 and has been poz for 10 years.

On reading that, did you initially think 'whore' or 'hero'?

I'm ashamed to say what my reaction was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2018 7:03 PM

He’s a good guy. I’ve been following his career for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 1March 24, 2018 7:42 PM

Was he a bug chaser?

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2018 7:43 PM

OP you're quite binary and rather middling IQ. You can only imagine 2 words in your poll? Everyone could ONLY think whore or hero? How about meh.

by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2018 7:44 PM

He can be both and so much more if only he would accept that he is a woman trapped in a man's body.

by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2018 7:48 PM

????

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2018 7:49 PM

He's neither a shore not a hero. What he is is stupid. There is no excuse for contracting HIV, not even 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6March 24, 2018 7:53 PM

How did he get HIV in 2008? It takes a drug addict or a moron to let that happen these days.

by Anonymousreply 7March 24, 2018 7:54 PM

You judgmental queens need to stop. How do you know he was a whore? How do you know he was irresponsible? Maybe he had a partner who both tested neg and the other guy cheated on him. Maybe it was only one time. How many straight people have unprotected sex at least once in their life? Does anyone call them whores or drug addicts?

by Anonymousreply 8March 24, 2018 8:01 PM

Why does the world need to know his private health information? Is there going to be a #metoo movement for sero-convertors?

by Anonymousreply 9March 24, 2018 8:07 PM

He was a whore (and may still be) but what he does with it can make him a hero.

by Anonymousreply 10March 24, 2018 8:13 PM

I watch ABC news every night and I've never seen this guy before. What does he normally cover?

by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2018 8:30 PM

His personal health information is none of my business.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2018 8:36 PM

I knew he was a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2018 8:38 PM

Isn't "Schmid" the name of the company that makes (or used to make) condoms? If so, rather ironic.

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2018 8:54 PM

R11 he reports for an LA affiliate station, not national news.

Maybe also he wants extra job security, as now it will be harder for him to get fired.

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2018 9:08 PM

It takes a lot of courage to admit that bare-backing just feels better.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2018 9:13 PM

The great news is that he probably only gave AIDS to 10-100 guys before he tested positive!

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2018 9:14 PM

Great way to ensure job security. I'm just saying.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2018 9:17 PM

He may have gotten from a long term boyfriend who cheated on him. That almost happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2018 9:23 PM

[quote]He's 37 and has been poz for 10 years. On reading that, did you initially think 'whore' or 'hero'? [bold]I'm ashamed to say what my reaction was.

We know what your reaction was, because it was #1 on your poll. If you had sympathy Whore would not have been used Whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2018 9:27 PM

R19 - I know of someone that contracted HIV from a cheating boyfriend also. However, most likely that's not the case here.

The vast majority of HIV+ people contracted it from irresponsible behavior. I'm sorry - but I do judge anyone who has contracted it since the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2018 12:02 AM

OP There's no reason he can't be both.

But seriously, I beleive most people who contract HIV today don't have good judgement.

by Anonymousreply 22March 25, 2018 12:11 AM

Whore.

by Anonymousreply 23March 25, 2018 12:59 AM

Well I think this thread confirms why he was so hesitant to go public with his status.

by Anonymousreply 24March 25, 2018 1:33 AM

He is a cutie. Even with AIDS I’d still smash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 25, 2018 1:36 AM

For those shaming him for being HIV Positive

Shit happens, that's life.

by Anonymousreply 26March 25, 2018 1:38 AM

Who cares. Why do we need to know? We're not his doctor.

by Anonymousreply 27March 25, 2018 1:43 AM

Who are we to judge the whore with a death wish?

by Anonymousreply 28March 25, 2018 1:47 AM

You need a slot for "mentally retarded 4th grader" because that's the only type of person who doesn't know how the fuck not to get HIV in this day and age.

by Anonymousreply 29March 25, 2018 2:09 AM

Adorable. ABC loves its gays.

by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2018 2:12 AM

Neither option, OP. Just neutral. Include that next time.

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2018 2:14 AM

If I fell for him and he sprung the news on me, I’d find it hard to walk away.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2018 2:15 AM

What's that brooch supposed to be?

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2018 2:18 AM

The self-righteous never get tired of telling others how wise, mature, restrained and noble they are and how they always have been according to them. I always feel so blessed that they let us mere mortals share the air they breathe.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2018 2:34 AM

We're all whores, darlin'. Don't judge.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2018 2:50 AM

Julius Schmid was the creator of the Sheik and Ramses condoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2018 3:16 AM

R34 - do you drive while you're black out drunk? Do you shoot up crystal meth? Do you run across lanes in the middle of a highway?

No? Because it's dangerous and can kill you right? SAME FUCKING THING. It's not about being judgmental, it's about making safe choices. And clearly he did not.

Jesus - millions of gay men do NOT seroconvert each and every year. Millions.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2018 3:21 AM

Id fuck him. With a condom like i always do.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2018 3:30 AM

[quote]Why does the world need to know his private health information? Is there going to be a #metoo movement for sero-convertors?

Because HIV is still an epidemic and people with HIV are still marginalized and looked down upon as this thread demonstrates. That’s the same bullshit people used to say to keep gay people in the closet. “why do I need to see it, cant they keep that in the bedroom.”

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2018 4:46 AM

[quote]Who cares. Why do we need to know? We're not his doctor.

Because he is trying to help people who are in the shadows of HIV and as you can see here, without even knowing anything about him you throw shade like some entitled debutante just discovered the maid took a dump in your punch.

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2018 4:49 AM

He is not known to me OP.

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2018 4:51 AM

[quote]His personal health information is none of my business.

You are not a gay man, you are a stupid Russian Frau. OK, then lets do it your way. Why do I need to hear about breast cancer, female problems are not my business. Stop with the pink ribbons and t-shirt. I dont need to know.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2018 4:51 AM

Condoms are not 100% effective. Give the guy whore a break.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2018 4:53 AM

I'd fuck him in a NY minute.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2018 4:56 AM

What's with the weird pin?

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2018 4:59 AM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2018 5:01 AM

R45 it looks like those Christmas cookies with the dyed green and red maraschino cherries.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2018 1:27 PM

I'm assuming the only reason someone with HIV would go public is because someone was about to blow the whistle on him, which is disgusting. Good for him. If this is his situation, his new found courage in doing this will help him. However I do not feel the need to know the health status of anyone, just as I don't feel I need to share my health information. It's the most personal and private information and should be kept that way and safeguarded.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2018 1:54 PM

He's a hero. There is still a lot of stigma surrounding this disease. (The comments on this thread prove that.) Maybe there's a kid out there who's just been diagnosed, and he feels desperate, hopeless, and possibly suicidal. If he learns that Schmid has the same virus and he's doing alright, then maybe the kid will have hope for himself. People make mistakes because they're human, not whores. Someone could practice good judgment about safe sex for years, and then after a bad day at work, a little too much to drink, can impair his judgement. Then, one hour of fun and stress relief will change everything. Or like, someone pointed out, a man can be in a relationship with a cheater or someone who's dishonest about his status. No one should die or even be scorned because they had consensual sex.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2018 3:09 PM

Has David Muir made a statement yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2018 3:30 PM

He is neither.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2018 5:48 PM

Uncut kangaroo meat

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2018 5:50 PM

Only bottom sluts get hiv

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2018 5:58 PM

This whole discussion is idiotic and makes me embarrassed to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2018 6:01 PM

I've never seen a DL poll so equally split before.

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2018 6:02 PM

Was he already out as gay because he didn't seem to mention that in his statement - I assume it was already known but odd he didn't mention as it as transmissions are rising sharply for young gay men. The old strategy of insisting that HIV/AIDS is not a "gay" disease was technically true but it has also made education and interventions targetting gay men more complicated for fear of backlash. We have moved beyond that as a culture and community and need to refocus efforts on prevention...

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2018 6:03 PM

I have lived so much of my life in fear of HIV and AIDS that I've refrained from putting myself out there; then again, I live in LA where everyone's a nut and selfish and came here to fix their shitty childhoods.

I wish this guy well and I hope he helps younger people make smarter choices and/or gives them hope.

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2018 6:03 PM

[quote]I have lived so much of my life in fear of HIV and AIDS that I've refrained from putting myself out there

Same.

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2018 6:11 PM

He probably turned down a clean, average (maybe even minority) guy, in order to get barebacked by some douchey musclebro 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2018 6:14 PM

[quote] I wish this guy well and I hope he helps younger people make smarter choices and/or gives them hope.

Unfortunately, all that's going to happen is dumb young gays seeing him looking healthy and thinking- See! HIV is no big deal! I'll get fucked bareback.

It's too bad that 41 year old theater composer who recently died didn't do this instead. THAT would have actually been a lesson that would have stuck.

by Anonymousreply 60March 25, 2018 6:17 PM

R60, that was a crazy story. He had everything and yet look what happened.

by Anonymousreply 61March 25, 2018 6:23 PM

Anyone under 40 who is HIV positive is an idiot, on the same level as smokers.

This isn't 1980, when it came out of nowhere and took a while to figure out. We have known for decades what causes AIDS and how to prevent it--while this assmunch was still in diapers.

No sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 62March 25, 2018 6:33 PM

my father died of cancer (he smoked) and our mother -- who on the outside looks all demure -- said to me and my brothers: "If you ever smoke I'll push your face into the ground."

by Anonymousreply 63March 25, 2018 6:47 PM

I am his age. I was pretty slutty 10 years ago too. And I was a bottom 90% of the time. I used condoms. It wasn't that complicated.

by Anonymousreply 64March 25, 2018 7:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!