Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is everyone coming out as queer these days?

First Cory Michael Smith and now Hale Appleman. WTF?!

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2019 10:31 PM

[quote]Hale Appleman

I thought he was [italic]gay[/italic] gay in Private Romeo.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2018 11:18 AM

It's just the latest fad.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2018 11:30 AM

Where did you read about Hale Appleman being queer?

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2018 11:31 AM

Everyone knows that queers are just better!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2018 11:34 AM

I would never call myself queer - I do not like that term at all.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2018 11:48 AM

Coming out as queer is more of a political far left-wing statement than an admission that one has same-sex attraction. It comes from the old communist idea that utopia can only occur when we are all the same. If everyone is a blank slate that has no inherent born traits concerning sex/gender/intelligence/whatever than you can be whatever the state programs you to be. You’ll work the job they tell you to do, like and think as they command etc. The humanities of the west looking to end all discrimination, took to this of course. (No matter how oppressive it’s roots are) Feminists believe that if you remove any words alluding to a gender binary, sexism against women will end. The LGBT movement believes if you remove any distinction in the language that separates between gay, bi or straight, homophobia will end. Basically, “queer” is what everyone is encouraged to identify as when asked asked what gender/sex they are, or when asked if they are straight or gay. In the egalitarian utopia they imagine, everyone is queer, no one is trans or cis, male or female, gay or straight, therefore no can be discriminated against. At least that is the theory. Queer is intended to mean everything and nothing at the same time, another attempt at rendering the language meaningless in order to serve a political end.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2018 12:14 PM

Now I must inspect The Magicians for queerosity. I hope I find it bingeworthy. I find Hale Appleman lovely.

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2018 12:41 PM

It's fashionable.....like a great caftan, or the perfect size hoops

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2018 1:38 PM

R3, from the "Who will come out in 2018" thread.

[Quote]Appleman adds that in real life, he is “definitely not straight. I am about as queer as Eliot and at least as open and fluid when it comes to supernatural beings, women, and everything in between.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2018 3:24 PM

Fucking tedious.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2018 3:27 PM

I think celebs do it to protect their careers. It's easier to backtrack if you come out as queer. Hell, even straight actors who want to be "edgy" and/or "lgbt friendly" come out as queer, just so they can be seen as open minded, liberal and inclusive. Queer can mean everything and nothing. I wish people would just stick to bisexual or gay. Seriously... when CMS came out I was like... so what is he?! I was so confused. I had to look up an article from 5 years ago where he talk about being sexually ambiguous aka bisexual. So why not just say that?! How come he was more open 5 years ago than he is now? Is it just because he's on a hit tv show? It's like he re-closeted himself by coming out as queer, at least you can read between the lines when people talk about being sexually fluid, open for anything etc. Queer means squat, which is why it's such bs.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2018 3:38 PM

He looks so much like my first boyfriend, I'll bet he could make me cum hands-free.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2018 4:03 PM

Better than them coming out as born-again, or neo-cons!

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2018 4:14 PM

Wow, the grooms dress just billows. Ugh

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2018 4:19 PM

Cory Michael Smith is as gay as the day is long (his ex-bf is Alec Knight, of the NYC Ballet, they recently broke up), but is terrified that he will no longer be given any decent roles if he admits to being gay. He didn't even want to be come out as "queer", but he was basically tricked into it. The whole thing is retarded, because he is gay as a goose in his personal life, and everyone knows, but somehow, in 2018, we still have actors who think they need to be closeted to get roles.

NPH doesn't seem to have that problem...

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2018 4:30 PM

[quote]Better than them coming out as born-again, or neo-cons!

When it comes to gay though, they might as well be. Because they’re homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2018 4:30 PM

Cowards

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2018 4:52 PM

I will always associate 'queer' with scholarly use (to avoid the alphabet soup acronym) and my vibrant Queer Nation twink-tivist days.

Now I identify as an Elder Pansy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2018 5:36 PM

The Magicians isn't that interesting. I've only watched one episode, but I usually skip shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2018 6:14 PM

Who and who?

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2018 6:19 PM

They get to come out without actually coming out as anything. They found the loophole!

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2018 6:19 PM

No straight male will come out as queer. That theory is ridiculous. It just means some young performers are rejecting the closet business of Hollywood. We are in a time when been open about ones sexuality is not a detriment to ones career. There are still closeted a list actors but the ones coming out as queer are not leading men so the closet business is still profitable. Get back to me when someone like jake Gyllenhaal a leading man actor comes out as queer. The b, c or d list performers might come out as whatever they feel like but Hollywood won't care to pressure them to stay in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2018 6:27 PM

I don’t think they’re rejecting the closet, R22. They’re still in the closet. I wish a reporter would ask them, “oh, so you’re gay”. And, then we could listen to their long homophobic spiel about how they’re not gay or even bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2018 6:53 PM

I think “queer” is the new goth or emo.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2018 6:54 PM

I was so tempted to ask this pink-haired cashier at Whole Foods today if she is queer. But I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2018 6:55 PM

Coming out? I'm going back in. As a G in LGBTQ-whatever-the-fuck-is-being-added-on-now, it's embarrassing to be in any way associated with this movement of "queers", their grandiosity, or their delusions.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2018 7:01 PM

I thought gay Pride parades made you go “back in”, R26? No?

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2018 7:04 PM

R15 Sounds like you know him. What more can you say about him? Would love to hear more.

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2018 7:23 PM

[Quote]No straight male will come out as queer. That theory is ridiculous.

Actually it's not. Many straight actors have announced that they're queer or something similar to appeal to their gay fanbase, especially if/when they happen to play a gay role. Shit like "I'm open to dating a guy in the future" or "Right now I'm strictly into women, but who knows." I've seen this a number of times, it's not that uncommon. BTW, I'm not saying this is the case with Smith or Appleman, I think they're both at the very least bi. No queer baiting there.

by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2018 7:26 PM

"Coming out" as "queer" is a complete oxymoron.

If you are gay, say you are gay.

If you are lesbian, say you are lesbian.

If you are bi, say you are bi.

If you are trans, say you are trans. (I am not usually down with the trans thing but at least I know what it means when someone says they are.)

Saying you are queer is meaningless. It is cowardice if you are gay/bi, and ridiculous pandering if you are straight. I have no use for anyone who uses that word in my life.

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2018 7:27 PM

[quote]Saying you are queer is meaningless.

Same with the initials. They include everyone but describe no one.

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2018 7:29 PM

Who? And who?

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2018 7:29 PM

[Quote]It just means some young performers are rejecting the closet business of Hollywood. We are in a time when been open about ones sexuality is not a detriment to ones career.

So WHY do they come out as "queer" which can mean anything, if it's NOT "a detriment to ones career"? You are obviously contradicting yourself here. Lets face it, these days "queer" is the new closet. Everyone can call themselves queer. I've read about kinky straight people calling themselves queer, or liberal/open minded straight people who don't want to sound bigoted.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2018 7:31 PM

I think queer has a new meaning these days, it can mean anything. Back in the day "queer" was a denominator for gays and lesbians, but people still called themselves gay or lesbian. Like... they didn't change gay or lesbian for queer, which is the case now.

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2018 7:35 PM

Many of them grew up in an era where most people don’t use “queer” in everyday language to mean odd/strange anymore but they’ve all heard “that’s gay”.

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2018 7:37 PM

Everyone wants to be an oppressed minority these days. Being "queer" allows you to continue to be the heterosexual you actually are but still get some of that oppression chic.

It's like all the college lesbians who fool around with girls in school (harmless and you won't get preggers) so they can do stuff like rail on social media about how "we" have been damaged by this or that deranged republican's latest fuckery, but then they graduate and get that dick, the house, the kids, the yoga, the rescue pitbull, the fibro.

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2018 7:46 PM

Because people no longer feel like they have to limit themselves to choosing just one sex of their potential partners. Queer is just a more contemporary and free-spirited way of saing bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2018 4:48 AM

I remember when I first came out about 20 years ago, I preferred to say "queer" rather than "gay" but the group of gays I fell in with shut that down real quick! I don't even remember why I wanted to call myself that.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2018 5:05 AM

Hale Appleman is a big ol' gay and has slept with half of Williamsburg and Bushwick.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2018 5:33 AM

Hale was cute when he first came on the scene, in '07/'08.

He's aged poorly and is kinda fug now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2018 7:26 AM
by Anonymousreply 41April 2, 2018 3:14 AM

Isn't it all about trans now? Coming out as gay, and for some reason new gays don't like labels, is so 2015.

by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2018 3:17 AM

The explanation was stated quite well in another thread:

For actors it is better to say queer and try the whole my sexuality is on a spectrum type press because other wise you just have to say yes, I'm gay and I just lied about it for years.

by Anonymousreply 43April 2, 2018 4:52 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2019 6:28 PM

I agree with r43. Then they get to go on shows and give interviews about how deeply complex and fluid their sexuality is, it's a marketing tool.

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2019 10:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!