Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do Trans teens/adults commit suicide?

Do Trans teens/adults commit suicide in large numbers? Or do more people who are bisexual, gay/lesbian, and heterosexual, but not Trans kill themselves?

I'm asking since I read this sad article, may she rest in peace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2018 1:20 AM

They're nuts!

by Anonymousreply 1April 23, 2018 3:24 PM

It certainly seems that way R1.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2018 9:45 PM

I’d imagine that it must be crushing to know that you can never be what you most desire to be.

The answer you’re looking for is that many of these people are mentally ill with other disorders.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2018 10:21 PM

It's sad, but they have a mental defect.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2018 10:40 PM

I'm with R3, I suspect a lot of them realize that the medical transition process can never make them into what they want to be.

Of course there's a lot of reasons, the lack of social acceptance has to take a toll, the side effects of the medical process can't be easy to live with, untreated mental illness, and maybe - some realize that they're really gay men and they've made themselves sexually unattractive to other gay men.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2018 11:11 PM

Wouldn't the MTF ones that date men be considered gay anyway? The FTM ones that date men are just, interesting.

I will respect the calls from people that ask to be addressed as a male or female, but you can't change what you were born with, God and mother nature decided your fate. They will always be men, and the woman will always be women. This is why they kill themselves.

Since we found that lead in water and gasoline caused increased levels of violence, maybe some of our preservatives are affect all of us causing the suicide rate to increase.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2018 11:46 PM

It’s not “because they are trans” that they do it. The fact that they feel like they’re the wrong gender is another symptom, not the cause.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2018 11:54 PM

That may be r7 but according it sounds as though he was a happy child with as much love and support as he could possibly have had. It's hard to figure out what went wrong here.

One thing that struck me as odd was that in his letter he asked for forgiveness for any sins he had committed although his mother said she never mentioned sin to him. Also, in another article, he requested a church funeral service. That makes me wonder if whatever religious background he might have had made him believe that gay (which I think he probably was) was a sin but trans was ok because he was really a girl in the wrong body. That seems to be common among young teens from religious backgrounds who decide to transition post puberty. Also, unlike small children who insist they're the opposite sex and want to dress as such from a young age this teen seemed rather ambivalent about openly wearing traditional women's clothing.

I obviously have no way of knowing what this teen was truly feeling but another comment that "it just wasn't happening for me" makes me think that they were feeling a lot of inner conflict and that the hormones probably made the feelings even worse.

It's a very sad story and, yes, may they rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2018 5:49 PM

That's true R3, I have met Trans people who did not get any or all of the surgery, or take hormones because they felt as though the surgery and everything else would not really make them into the opposite sex/gender.

Even if they do get the full surgery, or a sex change, this does not magically make life better and take away all the problems the person had before transitioning and surgery.

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2018 7:35 PM

Correlation and causality - you people really, really need to learn and understand the difference.

But, then again, so do many Ts based on that article.

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2018 7:42 PM

The Trans Activists are really pushing the idea that if your unhappy teen wants to change sex then a rapid medical transition will make everything okay and denying a rapid transition will result in suicide, but that's ridiculous.

People are complex and so is happiness and unhappiness, and I suspect that it's pretty goddamn rare for a young person's only source of unhappiness to be their gender identity. I think it's much more common that kids who are unhappy for a lot of reason to think that changing sex will solve all their personal problems, and that belief is probably as realistic as anything else a teenager thinks will solve all their problems. These "gender counselors" who push transitioning are doing their clients a massive disservice if they don't work on everything else in a teen's life as well as their gender identity, get the idea of a quick fix out of their heads before going any further.

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2018 9:39 PM

I think I’ve commented on this before, but I have two middle-schoolers, and between them they have three “trans” friends. Two are girls who identify as male. One is a boy who identifies as female.

I get the “diverted lesbian” vibe from the girl and bipolar from the boy. But what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2018 11:43 PM

Well - when you're sold a bill of goods that all you have to do is switch genders and everything will be GREAT - then you're setting yourself up for a downfall.

The reality is that they severely limit their dating pool. And, although there are some that pass as the other gender, most do not fully. So that acceptance you want? Ain't gonna happen.

This is just common sense but it's gotten so twisted by the trans agenda.

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2018 11:55 PM

Honestly, R13, if a kid believes "If I were a boy I'd be able to stand up for myself" or "If I were a pretty girl, then everyone would be nice to me", what they need is a reality check and some guidance towards appropriate coping mechanisms, not hormones and surgery.

If you bring this up to some Trans Activists, they will reply "But if we can only get kids transitioning younger, they'll be able to pass better and then all their dreams WILL come true!". Really, trans kids are being sold a bill of goods, and it's got to make their mental health worse rather than better in 99 out of 100 cases.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2018 11:59 PM

Gender dysmorphia is usually combined with a number of other co morbidities. It’s a symptom not a cause. You literally cannot be “born in the wrong body” - your body is just your body; it’s not wrong it just is, how you perceive that to be is a mental issue not physical. Pretending that everything will be fine if you just change your appearance does not help with the underlying causes. Post operative trans have a much higher suicide rate than the general population, proving that the root cause is not being dealt with.

At the most basic, fundamental level you will never be happy because you *know* you are not and never will be the sex you desire to be. Desiring to be something does not make you be that thing, no matter how deep the yearning.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2018 12:10 AM

R15, yes. I really don’t understand why gender dysphoria isn’t considered as delusional as a person believing they’re a werewolf or a superhero.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2018 12:17 AM

Another thing is, most MtFs do not respond to estrogen. I read an article recently and it said, 75 percent of males never get their hormone levels down to biological female levels. That's something that should also be emphasized to these kids and their families.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2018 12:25 AM

"I have met Trans people who did not get any or all of the surgery, or take hormones"

So they are "trans" only in their own head, not in the world. In other words, cis.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2018 12:36 AM

Yeah, the suicide rates for trans people is really high--and one study showed that the suicide rate was actually slightly *higher* post-transition.

As for why, could be any number of reasons. The obvious one is that transitioning doesn't really work--you don't become the other sex and most people don't pass. No matter how much gender activists types rant about it, I don't see that changing. No one really thinks Bruce Jenner is now a woman

So, in some ways, pushing transitioning as a fix is a double whammy for people with gender dysphoria. Transitioning is sold as a fix, when it then, inevitably falls short, a certain segment of Trans people are going to feel like there's no way out.

It seems to me that the medical profession would serve everyone better if they dug down and figured out the underlying causes and then determined treatment. It seems for like a lot of trans people, what's needed is a route to self-acceptance, not the medical denial of transitioning. There *are* some people who really do seem happier living as the other sex, but that's probably the minority of people currently calling themselves trans.

The suicide in OP's link seems like a very femme gay boy who might have been better off understanding that boys can like boys and pink without needing to become girls.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2018 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!