Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Miniseries

Excited?

[quote] “Johnny. You, me, this...we’re not done.” Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso aren’t the same people they were in high school— but their rivalry hasn’t changed one bit. The Karate Kid saga continues....

The 10hr comedy-drama miniseries is coming to YouTube Red in just a few weeks, and will have an unexpected twist in the tale of the two characters we know so well-according to Ralph Macchio, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388January 1, 2021 4:05 PM

Yes, I will buy and watch.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2018 10:03 PM

Wonder if they’ll fit a gay/lesbian student in at the revamped Cobra Kai dojo.

From the trailer it seems to be a group of all-boys that Johnny is teaching, mostly delinquents and misfits (a kid with a Mohawk, a nerd, a fat kid etc). Didn’t see any preps or jocks a la CL alum like Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2018 12:44 AM

[quote] Most of the Cobra Kai students were named after members of the crew.

Guess that’s how they ended up with names like Kev, Bob, Tim, Ryan, Caleb, Doug, Trey, Corey & Demitri (per IMDB)..

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2018 9:43 PM

Is this series going to be anything like the CARNIVAL Ballet version of KK1?

If so, then I’m in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2018 1:23 PM

Apparently Daniel will have a wife (not Ali or Kumiko) & son and Johnny a girlfriend (again, not Ali or Kumiko) in this new show.

So no gay content there (at least not officially). It will have to be one of the new CK kids, or another new adult character of which there seems to be quite a few.

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2018 5:57 PM

“The best defence...is more offence.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2018 11:00 PM

Did Macchio & Zabka ever fuck?

That would have been hot in the late ‘80s. Tbh it would still be hot now.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2018 6:16 PM

The newest extended trailer is #5 trending for the entirety of YT. It has blown up.

They gave Johnny a flipphone and made Daniel a sleazy car dealer. It’s really weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2018 7:35 PM

I like that the guys making these trailers knew the target audience would not want to see fuckwit teenagers having Tekken fights and only clicked play for the promise of Daniel & Johnny going at it again like Karate Dads. The chemistry is good enough to sell people on that premise, I think.

There have been five trailers now and none have revealed names of the new kid characters (they’re on IMDB, for the geeky & curious). So far only one new character - the main teen who happens to suspiciously look a little like Daniel - has even had any speaking lines at all. This show will hopefully be light on the always-annoying highschool dramatics, but we shall see.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2018 11:08 PM

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo ridiculously excited for this.

It looks like they've inverted Johnny and Danny's lives, so now Danny is the rich popular jock type (and maybe kind of a dic) and Johnny is the broke outcast loser. So of course now Johnny identifies with the picked on kid who just wants to be able to defend himself.

This could be really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2018 11:17 PM

There’s definitely more surprise to come, the heel/face inversion is just the start.

I’m getting real ‘Enemy Mine’ vibes from Daniel/Johnny so far, which could go in several different fascinating directions. It’s already so cool that they’ve somehow found one another again after all this time, like it’s fate for them to keep fighting...

Of course YouTube won’t go the gay route with them - they’re chickenshit as every other platform on that score - but I’m holding out hope for a close fierce friendship developing between them once they work out their misunderstanding, maybe a blossoming kinship in Season 2 if they get one. A playful nod or wink later on to possible latent attraction would be fun.

Then again, I also want a soundtrack of retro ‘80s AOR jams for this show and that is obviously not going to happen. So fuck me and my gay dinosaur self, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 24, 2018 1:14 AM

wax on, whack off.

by Anonymousreply 12March 24, 2018 1:29 AM

So long as they don’t wheel Miyagi’s ghost in for the entr’acte a la Atsumori.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 24, 2018 11:19 AM

Wasn't there reluctant respect between both teenagers at the end of KK ? Johnny realised his mentor was a bad influence and Daniel was witness to that. It's not like they parted ways in hatred.

If Johnny is down on his luck, how can he buy the dojo ?

That said, it will be interesting to see where they take this, with Daniel being smarmy, obnoxious, but vigilent, (even though he seems wrong in his interpretation of Cobra Kai return as a bully's return), and Johnny being down and out but concerned with justice and helping bullied kids.

by Anonymousreply 14March 24, 2018 11:25 AM

R8 Looks SO GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 15March 24, 2018 11:30 AM

[quote] Johnny realised his mentor was a bad influence and Daniel was witness to that. It's not like they parted ways in hatred.

This is my only problem with the premise, R14, and you’re right that it’s a glaring one.

They both walked out of that 1983 All Valley on the same side and having redeemed themselves. Johnny handed Daniel his damn trophy, saying “you’re alright, LaRusso”. Ok, that doesn’t make them life partners but it does mean they reconciled and became friendly before they graduated HS. They realised how needlessly brutal Kreese’s Cobra Method was (a realisation Daniel conveniently forgot in Part III, but that’s typical) and how Karate should be used respectfully.

Even if Daniel stopped competing and training altogether after his Japan escapade and the 1985(?) All-Valley (which seems to be the case), it doesn’t mean he had to turn his back on everything Miyagi-do Karate taught him about balance, resilience, tolerance, fair play (well..). Or that he had to cut off all contact with Johnny the minute that they left for College/work. It is weird that they are surprised to find themselves working & living alongside each other in the Valley in the present day, even though they presumably knew one another’s grad plans.

Similarly there is no good reason why Johnny should revert back to the Karate style of his old Sensei I.e. the PTSD-case who publicly assaulted him. Part I showed us that Johnny is a talented martial artist who works hard; in 30 years why couldn’t he have taken up one of the many other Karate styles, or even a combo? Why revisit the very style that derailed your life? From the trailer it seems that Johnny’s Cobra Kai style is a reworked ‘lightsided’ version of what he once knew, but it’s hardly necessary to clear the name of a style that went out of fashion three decades ago.

[quote] If Johnny is down on his luck, how can he buy the Dojo?

I assumed from the trailer that he goes to Daniel’s auto place to ask for a loan, as I couldn’t think of a better reason why humbled disheveled Johnny would shambol in front of Daniel’s associates the way he did. Or perhaps he gets a divorce settled or inheritance money, something like that (didn’t he have a very wealthy family?)

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2018 8:47 PM

Maybe Miyagi left him an inheritance. Hence, all the cars.

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2018 9:43 PM

Not sure what to think of the trailers. Shrug. Karate Kid 3 was soooooo shitty. But I’ll likely watch the first episode anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2018 9:49 PM

R17 lmao at sleazy 30-something Daniel hawking Miyagi’s car collection like ten minutes after the poor old man’s funeral. You just know that’s what he’d do.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2018 10:23 PM

But R18, Part III has Terry Silver, and boasts the gayest Karate Kid plotline to date.

At one point a bloody, bruised and sweating Daniel is ten seconds away from getting fucked in the CK dojo during one of his illicit private training sessions with Silver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2018 10:29 PM

You’d think Daniel would have learned by now not to step to Johnny Lawrence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 25, 2018 9:39 PM

[quote] I assumed from the trailer that he goes to Daniel’s auto place to ask for a loan, as I couldn’t think of a better reason why humbled disheveled Johnny would shambol in front of Daniel’s associates

R16 I initially figured Johnny wanted to try & sell a beat-up truck or an old bike (?) to Daniel for a handful of pennies so he could turn his water back on. Then I saw how fancy Daniel's showroom was and reconsidered. Seems more like Johnny goes to Daniel to beg for work or, like you say, a loan. And Daniel is having none of what Johnny is bringing...

by Anonymousreply 22March 26, 2018 11:05 PM

I thought the 80s was over a long time ago, like in the 80s. Most nostalgic remakes are a mess.

by Anonymousreply 23March 26, 2018 11:13 PM

R23 Whatever, killjoy! Culture is accumulated not pulled out of thin air every five years. Wisdom is gained from experience (which we will be reminded of again, in "Cobra Kai"! )

by Anonymousreply 24March 26, 2018 11:56 PM

R20 Griffiths & Macchio had off-the-scale sexual tension. They were around the same age at the time.

Of course, the frisson of attraction had to stay unspoken in 1989 but it was obvious to anyone who looked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2018 12:07 AM

Fun & entertaining as this looks, had this reunion happened 20 years earlier Macchio & Zabka could have progressed their characters into a fresher & sexier plot.

It would have been cool to have them be like Linda Fiorentino & Anthony Edwards were in GOTCHA!, caught in some sort of European Karate-espionage. They would have had the look down, if nothing else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2018 10:31 PM

So I guess it’s true that Cobra Kai never die.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2018 10:47 AM

Johnny is a DILF now.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2018 11:00 AM

Even my sister, who hates the whole Karate Kid franchise and would never fuck any actor, thinks Zabka is worthy.

Just goes to show; continued training/workouts and following your dreams will bless a man’s looks.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2018 4:16 PM

Ralph is still quite handsome, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2018 9:53 AM

Can’t believe this isn’t coming out until May. I was going to sit out the Spring rains with Johnny, Daniel and their adopted passel.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2018 1:46 PM

R30 wasn’t it a red-Sun headband that Miyagi gave Daniel?

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote] Johnny, Daniel and their adopted passel.

R31 how cute would that be! Pandering, a little, but sweet & sexy enough that it wouldn’t matter.

Maybe Daniel realises how unhappy his married life and business is making him, and comes around to Johnny’s way of thinking after Season One. They spend more time together and reach a place of forgiveness, leading to Johnny offering to train Daniel again gratis with a view to him teaching a class of his own at C.K. Daniel is touched and accepts gratefully, and before they know it the two are spending evenings alone together in the now-successful dojo. One thing leads to another and they end up falling for each other within just a few weeks. There’s some angst over their shared past, but again forgiveness comes quicker than either expected and soon their feelings become too strong to just let lie.

Fast forward a year or two; I can just see them cohabiting in a little rickety house next to the new C.K. dojo, with a little Zen/bonsai garden & chimes everywhere. Maybe a cat. Johnny waking up to Daniel making him a breakfast smoothie and then them doing morning Tai Chi together before classes start (which they teach alternately). They have no issue with PDA and like to steal little kisses as they pass one another in the changeovers, which the students whistle at (or retch at, if they are the age for “cooties”). Johnny thinks about adding Daniel’s name to the lease renewal, while Daniel tries to find a way to break the news of his new relationship & change-in-life career to his ageing mother. There is also the matter of the two men ageing themselves, and how they can keep up training & teaching just like Miyagi did.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2018 12:20 PM

So far it’s a team vs. team brawlfest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2018 3:00 PM

R33, this is über fanfic, but I like it. Especially the bonzai garden and the chimes.

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2018 11:13 PM

I love R33’s story pitch too, R35. It would be courageous, refreshing and incredibly creative to revive a series like this to explore such topics as fluid sexuality in men, chosen families, communal living & independent business, and ageing. The DL contingent would love a show like this.

The direction Youtube Red has taken seems focussed on the battle element of karate in a way the original films weren’t. The KK stories have always been about relationships (esp. familial), and learning to have character and a personal code of ethics in a world centred on ‘getting mine’. Fighting isn’t a huge part of that world. This new take seems like a videogame or a sports mockumentary, not a KK story.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2018 2:36 PM

The first two episodes of Cobra Kai are being screened in 700 theaters across the U.S., alongside screening of the first film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2018 2:37 PM

Kreese cameo or bust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2018 4:26 PM

Mmmmm. Cobra Kai orgy.

Wait, what were we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 39April 8, 2018 1:38 PM

Johnny’s got an angsty twink son he never sees and is a disappointment to, ooooh.

The kid playing the son is scrumptious, non?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 24, 2018 1:40 PM

Terry Silver was an excellent 80s villain. The ponytail definitely helped.

by Anonymousreply 41April 24, 2018 3:28 PM

Right on, R41.

So now I’m thinking Sensei Daniel will act as the ‘Silver’ to young Robby Lawrence, much to the chagrin of DILF Sensei Johnny?

by Anonymousreply 42April 24, 2018 5:59 PM

“Sensei’...really?//I’m right here, man.”

Delicious Daniel x Johnny tension in the CK dojo, as seen in the newest promo. This is the kind of content everybody wants, not irritating snot-nosed sophomores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 24, 2018 10:38 PM

^^What would their shipname be? Johnniel? Lawrusso?

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2018 8:54 PM

Some people actually want to watch this nostalgic mess. I enjoyed the karate kid movies and that is about it. Nostalgic revamps are never like the originals.

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2018 2:44 AM

It doesn’t seem all that nostalgic, at least not in misty-eyed sense of the word.

This is more of a gimlet-eyed continuation. It seems to be skewering the origin, a little.

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2018 11:21 AM

Where's Mrs. Larusso?

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2018 12:20 PM

[quote] Wonder if they’ll fit a gay/lesbian student in at the revamped Cobra Kai dojo. From the trailer it seems to be a group of all-boys that Johnny is teaching.

There is a big-boned black girl with dyke potential who appears in the dojo trailers, R2.

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2018 5:43 PM

So far, so good. '80s soundtrack and all!

by Anonymousreply 49May 3, 2018 2:25 AM

So is anybody watching this? I see it's free on my Youtube account! Actually excited to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 50May 3, 2018 7:24 AM

It's kind of a gyp - YT Red are offering the first two eps free, then after that you have to pay to subscribe to get the rest.

Most of us are just waiting for some hero to p2p or upload a rip online.

by Anonymousreply 51May 3, 2018 8:06 AM

I am amazed at how good Ralph Macchio still looks. I wanna look that young at 56.

by Anonymousreply 52May 3, 2018 8:09 AM

I'm pretty sure the first month of YouTube Red is free, and after that you get charged $14.99 a month. I'm just going to watch the 10 episodes of Cobra Kai then cancel my membership. Nothing else on YouTube Red looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 53May 3, 2018 2:25 PM

That's what I'm doing, too, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54May 3, 2018 6:04 PM

The way they modified that opening sequence from the ending of KK1 was seamless, I'm actually impressed.

Johnny is kinda sexy as a working stiff, with his toolbelt and his beat-up red Pontiac. He still has a nice mop of lovely blond hair and a svelte figure even knocking back Coors every day and apparently hating his life.

Miguel with the braces from across the hall is so earnest. What a sweet boy. He'll obviously become Johnny's charge.

Am I the only one that didn't know Will Smith & the Pickett family helped produce and finance this? I'm guessing either Zabka or Macchio charmed Jada into it at the premiere for that Jackie Chan reboot or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 55May 3, 2018 9:13 PM

Foreigner's 'Head Games' playing as Johnny drives out drunk and thinks about Daniel...I mean, karate 😏 OTP

And then the mood whiplash when Johnny relives moment Kreese assaulted him all over again 😱😱 then his car gets totalled. Poor poor Johnny and his rotten luck. What did my boy do to deserve this

by Anonymousreply 56May 3, 2018 9:29 PM

First thing Daniel does on meeting Johnny again is lingeringly hug him, compliment his "golden locks" and bite his lip at him. Then tells Johnny again how great he looks, calls him "tough" with an admiring gaze and refuses to let him leave. "I never remembered calling him pretty" (you totally fucking did, Daniel. And anyway, it's an objective fact).

Then they get all intense and close to each other's faces and Daniel gets to preen while fussing over Johnny's car. Daniel offers Johnny help as he considers him "friends & family" even though Johnny tells him to go screw (he just wants you to forgive him and accept his love, Johnny!) and watching all this unfold my heart shatters like Daniel's patella back in '84.

This is everything I wanted and more.

by Anonymousreply 57May 3, 2018 10:03 PM

Will Elisabeth Shue make a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 58May 4, 2018 3:29 AM

Nah, she didn't, but there was a surprise cameo on the last episode. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched yet.

by Anonymousreply 59May 4, 2018 3:44 AM

Just wanted to add that if you're a fan of the original movie, this series was a blast.

by Anonymousreply 60May 4, 2018 3:47 AM

lmao, I love that they show Daniel movin' on up from the slums of Reseda to an Encino country club

by Anonymousreply 61May 4, 2018 3:52 AM

I just finished the first 2 episodes and I'm into it!

by Anonymousreply 62May 4, 2018 4:16 AM

R59 if it's Terry Silver or Mike Barnes I'll go off while I'm still at work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 4, 2018 7:35 AM

the blonde bad guy was so sexy

by Anonymousreply 64May 4, 2018 7:49 AM

Robby (Johnny’s son) reminds me of Shawn Hunter from BOY MEETS WORLD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 4, 2018 8:03 AM

The only distracting part was Johnny's son's 1995 haircut.

by Anonymousreply 66May 4, 2018 8:04 AM

This is weird but I love how nasty Johnny was talking in episode 1. Calling kids “pussies” and everyone else “bitch”. He’s hot when he’s pissed off, idk.

Any way DLers in Europe can watch the rest of the series? We don’t get YTRed out here.

by Anonymousreply 67May 4, 2018 8:12 AM

Just watched the first 2 episodes and absolutely LOVE it!

Miguel is so adorable and it is awesome watching Johnny warm up to him. I love that the original bully is going to be a surrogate father and teacher to the modern outcasts!

[quote]Nah, she didn't, but there was a surprise cameo on the last episode. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched yet.

Please let it be Sean Kanan (Mike Barnes) and Yuji Okumoto (Chozen)!

by Anonymousreply 68May 4, 2018 8:38 AM

I'm hooked.

Just finished episode 6 and each one gets better and better. I can't believe in some scenes I'm actually getting weepy eyed. Like when Johnny gave Miguel his old training outfit or Lip returning with the mohawk.

Oddly, the stuff that is supposed to make me tear up (like Daniel remembering Miyagi, etc...) is kinda falling flat on me.

I haven't binge watched a show like this since Netflix's GLOW.

by Anonymousreply 69May 4, 2018 10:38 AM

William Zabka is a major DILF and has a fit body.

by Anonymousreply 70May 4, 2018 10:55 AM

[quote][R59] if it's Terry Silver or Mike Barnes I'll go off while I'm still at work.

[quote]Please let it be Sean Kanan (Mike Barnes) and Yuji Okumoto (Chozen)!

Sorry, it's not any of them at the end.

by Anonymousreply 71May 4, 2018 1:34 PM

I loved it. On a note more unrelated to the characters, I loved that it stayed very true to form in its portrayal of the often scuzzy Valley, and how much it has changed, and yet in some ways not.

by Anonymousreply 72May 4, 2018 5:39 PM

It has good reviews, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 4, 2018 6:48 PM

[quote] I can't believe in some scenes I'm actually getting weepy eyed. Like when Johnny gave Miguel his old training outfit or Lip returning with the mohawk. Oddly, the stuff that is supposed to make me tear up (like Daniel remembering Miyagi, etc...) is kinda falling flat on me.

Macchio is usually one of the best parts of any production he's in, KK movies included; but not so here. DGMW, he's still appealing & believable reprising his immortal role as Daniel but not as charming as Johnny or the new kids. Ralph doesn't often use his highest gear and I wasn't expecting him to for COBRA KAI, but perhaps it would have elevated him above the material where he's often found languishing.

Idk, it's just weird that Ralph was only kinda-sorta-barely-good-enough here. I wanted more from him, somehow - were my expectations too high for him, or too low for the show and the rest of the cast? Hopefully if there's another season he can find some surprising heretofore-unseen depth in Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 74May 4, 2018 6:56 PM

[quote] I loved that it stayed very true to form in its portrayal of the often scuzzy Valley, and how much it has changed, and yet in some ways not.

Yeah R72, the setting almost stole the show for me in the first episodes. It's like going back in time, really a head trip that puts you right back into the 80s emotionally. The soundtrack helped with that, too.

by Anonymousreply 75May 4, 2018 6:58 PM

Anyone remember Martin Kove's nude scene in the 70s movie Women in Revolt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 4, 2018 7:03 PM

R75, I think this was the best and most realistic portrayal of the Valley I have seen in.. forever? I almost lost it with the Armenian real estate character!

I do like that they didn't sanitize or soften Johnny's rather un-PC character flaws. He's a perfect example of an older dude bewildered by the changing landscape and culture around him.

by Anonymousreply 77May 4, 2018 7:15 PM

I nearly died laughing when Johnny threw Miguel's inhaler at the wall, then panicked on hearing his cell. Poor dude is a man out of time.

It would be cool to see Daniel & Johnny reminisce over some cool old 80s stuff in season 2. Like maybe Sam & Miguel find an old box in Johnny's attic with a Walkman or some 8-track in it and Daniel takes it to Johnny to geek over it together. Or they could visit an old-timey arcade together during one episode.

by Anonymousreply 78May 4, 2018 7:20 PM

R78, I liked the scene where Johnny and Daniel were cruising in the car to REO Speedwagon.

I liked the subtle bits of comedy relief throughout - Daniel trying to feed high grade sashimi to his daughter's Asian boyfriend, only to find out the boy hates raw fish.

Daniel to his daughter's boyfriend: "So where are your parents from?"

- "Irvine."

I thought I was going to hate Daniel's wife after the first two episodes, because she seemed like a Real Housewife trying to be the Cool Mom, but then she grew on me afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 79May 4, 2018 7:59 PM

The karate sequences were way cool.

by Anonymousreply 80May 4, 2018 11:52 PM

So, when are they integrating R33 plot points ?

by Anonymousreply 81May 5, 2018 12:35 AM

The series is excellent so far. Totally engaging.

by Anonymousreply 82May 5, 2018 4:59 AM

R77 It's so refreshing to not see all the rough bits of a character sanded off, without there being a plot reason for it or it being purposeful for character development.

by Anonymousreply 83May 5, 2018 5:01 AM

R45 It will obviously inspire some nostalgic feelings in some viewers but it's really not that kind of thing. It's a proper sequel at this stage in the characters' story and really good.

by Anonymousreply 84May 5, 2018 5:08 AM

Zabka never showed this much acting talent in his 80s stuff.

I could see him getting nominated for this along with Maridueña.

The two of them have great chemistry together. Especially when Johnny thinks it is all over due to the mounting bills and then Miguel comes in showing off the new website and having RATT as his ringtone. You could see Johnny beaming with pride. Really great work from the both of them.

by Anonymousreply 85May 5, 2018 7:34 AM

[quote] I liked the scene where Johnny and Daniel were cruising in the car to REO Speedwagon.

THICK sexual tension. 'Take It on the Run' is officially their song, now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 5, 2018 7:37 AM

As somebody who grew up Reseda-adjacent, they absolutely nailed it - the liquor stores, the stripmalls, the crappy apartment complexes.

by Anonymousreply 87May 5, 2018 7:43 AM

[quote] So, when are they integrating [R33] plot points?

Hopefully sooner than later, R81.

Although the cute little karate lovenest can’t be next to the current CK dojo, as it’s in a stripmall. Daniel could easily buy an Encino studio/condo when he gets his divorce and move Johnny right in. Giving darling Miguel his own room, of course.

by Anonymousreply 88May 5, 2018 8:22 AM

Macchio-Zabka were charming on the Today Show this week. Genuinely sweet men, and handsome to boot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 5, 2018 8:25 AM

Dimitri is my favorite student so far. The kid playing him pings cacophonously.

He sounds like a DLr with lines like "I would kill both of you just to get [her] to spit in my mouth."

by Anonymousreply 90May 5, 2018 6:10 PM

They should have made Hawk's character gay.

by Anonymousreply 91May 5, 2018 6:14 PM

Good news. The show was a hit in the ratings and views for Youtube Red!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 5, 2018 6:30 PM

Here is the first full episode for those who haven't seen it yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 5, 2018 6:33 PM

I want to binge the whole thing but can't without paying a tenner and giving YouTube my personal details (we don't get YouTube Red in the UK) which I don't want to do. If I pay for media I like to have a hard copy.

I'm not making much money and I despise everything else that YouTube produces (I think they exploit most of their other creators) so I don't really want to line their pockets, even if only with ten quid. But I like these writers and believe they deserve a payday, and I want to see the rest of this story. Conundrum.

I would buy this on DVD at a reasonable price, though. Guess I'm old fashioned.

by Anonymousreply 94May 5, 2018 7:30 PM

R86 I live for that moment, the way Johnny kept glancing at Daniel as if daring him to disapprove. Johnny’s always carried a bit of an inferiority complex imo (and an eagerness to please) and Daniel is perfect for him for this reason as he is a wilful type always bucking the bolts. Daniel respects a maverick which is what Johnny has become (quite by accident) while Johnny gravitates toward those that he perceives have more experience or power. What better match than the Jersey urchin made good with too much bravado and the downtrodden Cali preppy? They complete a circle together. This is excellent character-writing.

I see a little erotic tension too, definitely a flicker of something like a friendly mancrush in either direction (and Daniel would have to be blind not to notice Johnny). Interesting that Daniel emphasises to Johnny that he’s a “man” who likes Speedwagon ballads and that is the norm in his world (and why the hell not?).

It’s always great to see healthy male-bonding on current shows, whether between gay or straight characters....but if these two had a gay swerve in a later season? I’d pop so hard that I’d hurt myself.

by Anonymousreply 95May 5, 2018 10:08 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 96May 6, 2018 6:51 PM

I just had my 50 year old Moms watch it. She was a big Daniel-San fan back in the day and she was gripped watching him turn heel, fretting every second that he was "becoming a monster". She really dug seeing Macchio as Daniel again, and all the Easter eggs heartening back to the first movie.

She also begrudgingly admitted the fineassery of Zabka despite her past hatred of "jock preppies". She actually found Johnny Lawrence somewhat sympathetic & funny, so this series is hitting all its marks.

by Anonymousreply 97May 6, 2018 8:15 PM

I didn't see Daniel as a "heel" at all. There was no malice...he was just a product of cicrumstance. His lowlife cousin's actions, his tormet of being formerly bullied, etc...

by Anonymousreply 98May 6, 2018 8:30 PM

Yeah, "heel" is too strong of a word now I think about it R98. Really it was just my neurotic Moms looking at it that way, because it was such a shock to her viewing her childhood crush in a different light. I think she just had a hard time at first accepting that Daniel wasn't the broke sadsack young tuff he once was. She got over it by episode 6.

I didn't see Daniel as unsympathetic at all. Actually he was incredibly cordial the first time he met Johnny at his showroom, considering Johnny was a guy who physically assaulted him multiple times in the past. Johnny had residual depression & anger issues from the start and maybe always has, but that was easy for me to connect with as I've undergone the same challenges. CK presents all facets of these men in a believable relatable way, and I have to say that this has really impressed me as well as friends & family.

Can they keep it up for another couple seasons? That is the question.

by Anonymousreply 99May 6, 2018 9:16 PM

R99 I think the series has longevity because the characters are fleshed out as complex human beings and the story is honest about where they are now, without taking it in the direction of parody. Nothing feels unnatural and intentionally campy about these characters, yet there is honest, relatable humor in the path of their lives because it's real. The connections to the original give you warm fuzzies but the flashback moments are in context and relevant so you can enjoy those moments without them feeling gratuitous.

So far, the quality of storytelling is of a higher caliber than most of what can currently be seen in movie theaters. I hope this means we're entering a new storytelling renaissance in entertainment and Gen X's turn for meaningful reflection and meditation on cultural changes and what lasts or should last the passing of time. Society needs this.

by Anonymousreply 100May 6, 2018 9:56 PM

Is it me or is there zero chemistry between Macchio and the actress playing his wife? These don’t seem like two people who have ever seen each other naked let alone procreated & built a life together. She seems like his sister or his coworker.

Macchio has a sweet nervous bond with the girl playing his daughter, though. Guess he drew on his own experience for that.

by Anonymousreply 101May 6, 2018 10:37 PM

Speaking of dalliances in the KK world there isn't much in the way of fan fiction for the characters. Is it too old a franchise, or is it just not a fun sandbox for fan fiction writers to play in? Maybe CK will change the game a little bit and there'll be an influx of sexy Johnny/Daniel & Miguel/Robby stories on ao3 suddenly.

I found this one called 'You're Pretty' by a user named glorybastit on ff.net, that's fairly well-drawn and deals with an angsty clumsy D/s relationship between 18y.o. Johnny & Daniel. The remaining fic on that site are of execrable quality, or het/gen character studies that deal with boring non-sexual dilemma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 6, 2018 11:50 PM

R101, you hit the nail on the head. Ralph had a very difficult time with his own teenage daughter, so that was all drawing upon personal experience.

by Anonymousreply 103May 7, 2018 6:57 AM

Will there be a season 2?

by Anonymousreply 104May 7, 2018 10:46 PM

It hasn't been announced yet, R104, but with all the praise from critics (100% on Rotten Tomatoes) and fans, I'd say there's a good chance of it.

by Anonymousreply 105May 8, 2018 12:31 AM

I am sure Macchio and Zabka would be all in for a Season 2!

by Anonymousreply 106May 8, 2018 2:26 AM

John Heald, one of the writers, seems certain there is more to come. But then, he would say that.

[quote] “This show was always intended to run longer than 10 episodes, and remember, all four of the original movies are canon for our universe; let’s just say that anyone that’s either from that world, or fits into it via family tree, is fair game,” says Heald. “And we’ve already had conversations about bringing in some of those other characters.” Could Karate Kid II’s Kumiko (memorably played by Tamlyn Tomita) or her offspring find their way back to the San Fernando Valley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 8, 2018 11:01 AM

I want Mrs. Larusso, in the vein of Mrs. Blankenship from Mad Men

by Anonymousreply 108May 8, 2018 11:55 AM

R44 fans dub it ‘Lawrusso’, and also ‘Karate Husbands’ which I like way better.

R102 you’re in luck if that’s what you’re into, as it seems like a new wave of fanfiction is about to swell. Three went up on ao3 yesterday, one of them (below) basically Johnny/Daniel Porn with Plot that was surprisingly erotic and nicely penned. It even has some actual proper characterisation, a rare treat.

There’s probably even more fanfic going up as we speak on Tumblr & Dreamweaver but I’m too scared to jump back down that hole (hah!) even for you, dear sweet R102. Why not write one of your own, too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 8, 2018 12:02 PM

Absolutely loved it. I am 42, and was a fan of the first two films. The tone was perfect, and it has what all nostalgia shows aspire to, and I can't think of another reboot/many year later sequel that does such a superb job tonally. The useage of the film footage was so seamless, seeming like actual memories the characters would have in the situations. The one of Daniel and his mother at the apt building, all of the Mr. Miyagi (I cried. Pat Morita was so elegant).

The characters are multi-layered, there isn't too much of the kids, enough nostalgia to feed a Mary! like me. There are, of course, some corny moments: I knew the moment I saw Larusso Motors that there would be a "wax on/wax off" situation at some point. and I enjoyed every moment of the scene when it played.

The kids were not awful. Lip/Hawk cracked me up with the tattoo and him telling the store clerk that the youngest was his kid. Miguel wearing the skeleton outfit. I could go on and on, but won't. The REO Speedwagon was the exact right choice.

by Anonymousreply 110May 8, 2018 12:08 PM

The kids are great so far, although I’m hoping & praying the Sam/Miguel/Robby triangle doesn’t eclipse all the other good stuff that will be happening in the next season.

I’m curious to see what happens with Anthony, Daniel’s lazy porky little spawn. I like his antagonism of Johnny, they’ve met their match in each other for trashtalk. I feel like Anthony is Daniel’s ID.

by Anonymousreply 111May 8, 2018 12:33 PM

Not usually a fan of "reboots", would much rather see some great original programming being made, but was pleasantly surprised by this. Wound up binge-watching the whole damn thing in one night with the YouTube Red free trial.

Just the right amount of decent new story telling, flashbacks that flow well into the current story, nostalgia, cheesy humor, and great music. It was a lot of fun, and I liked it.

Bring on Season 2!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 8, 2018 12:55 PM

Screw 'Roseanne.' Now this is nostalgia TV worth checking out. I will go as far as to say it's the best TV of 2018 so far.

by Anonymousreply 113May 8, 2018 5:29 PM

OMG, I LOVED the first episode. I see the second one is free on youtube. What's this youtube red jazz? Do you pay monthly? I don't think there's anything else I'd want to watch with Youtube Red. Any way around it?

by Anonymousreply 114May 8, 2018 11:50 PM

R114, get the 1 month free trial. Then Just cancel after you watch the entire 10 episodes or before the 1 month is up. That's what I am doing, and how I watched the winter Olympics (through Sling).

by Anonymousreply 115May 8, 2018 11:57 PM

Oh sweet! Thanks, R115!

by Anonymousreply 116May 9, 2018 12:12 AM

R114- I did exactly what R115 said. Binge watched all 10 CK episodes for free.

Poked around YouTube Red a little (there is an ad free YouTube music thing included) but couldn't really find any other programming worth justifying the $9.99 per month fee to watch- so far. As long as you cancel before the 30 days is up, though, there's no charge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2018 11:01 AM

I love the shoutout to Bananarama.

by Anonymousreply 118May 10, 2018 8:30 AM

Renewed for a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 10, 2018 7:16 PM

"We aren't done, Larusso"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 10, 2018 7:19 PM

woohoo, R120!

by Anonymousreply 121May 10, 2018 9:20 PM

This was a very brilliantly executed show, with crossover appeal in that they didn’t try to just target a nostalgic audience. I watched the show with some nephews and nieces and they were totally into it. More for the teenage drama subplots than Daniel vs. Johnny, but oh well, it got them off their phones and they watched.

by Anonymousreply 122May 10, 2018 10:19 PM

Allie, Mrs. Larusso, the nemesis and love interest from Part 2 should come back for the second season. And have Tony O'Dell come back and give him an actual line to say.

by Anonymousreply 123May 10, 2018 10:37 PM

[quote] The kid playing him pings cacophonously.

I’m stealing this apt musical phrase. Thanks, R90.

by Anonymousreply 124May 10, 2018 10:49 PM

I would still love to see an Elisabeth Shue cameo at least.

by Anonymousreply 125May 10, 2018 11:00 PM

I'd also love to see her cunty Melissa Rivers-looking friend now be an opioid addict panhandling on the corner of Larusso Motors.

by Anonymousreply 126May 11, 2018 11:54 AM

Hilarious, r126. Maybe she's the homeless woman panhandling in front of the Cobra Kai dojo.. what a plot twist that would be!

by Anonymousreply 127May 12, 2018 6:11 AM

I know we’re supposed to find it douchey that Johnny is always calling Daniel “Danielle”, “the lady” and other such misogynistic epithets but I think it’s very funny. And somehow weirdly hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128May 13, 2018 2:22 PM

Anyone pick up the Macchio/Zabka Adweek cover?

They both look so good on it. Ralph looks fitter & happier than he has since like ‘86, and Zabka is 😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 13, 2018 2:26 PM

I bingewatched the whole thing. It was excellent and I can't wait for season 2. Everyone involved should give mandatory training to every Hollywood producer on how to do a proper reboot/revival. They even managed to work in the infamous "Daniel is the real villain of the first film" theory and do it really well.

I went full on MARY! at the scene when Daniel visits Mr. Miyagi's grave. Just knowing that he tends to the grave was touching, but his monologue and flashback was really moving. Damn, I wish Pat Morita were alive for this.

by Anonymousreply 130May 13, 2018 2:34 PM

I loved this show! It should be mandatory viewing for middle school kids. I got a little misty when Lip became Hawk. I like that Johnny is a dick but for good reason. I loved when he said internet bullies are pussies. The whole bullying thing was great and it's a message kids need to hear, it gets better, etc.

by Anonymousreply 131May 13, 2018 4:56 PM

I loved the sniping between Daniel’s oldschool Italian mom and his wife, whom she is critical of... “Pasta salad in a package?” “Daniel, remember when I would come home after a long day at work and prepare a home-cooked meal?” So true to form...

by Anonymousreply 132May 13, 2018 5:40 PM

There were lots of great little details: Johnny being stuck in the pop culture of the 80s, Daniel's fuckup cousin, the work pranks on Robbie, Miguel's abuelita being a badass (and first mistaking his workouts for jerking off), Daniel's handling Robbie's injury at the tournament: Medic... MEDIC!, the REO Speedwagon sing-along, that most of Johnny's attempts to be cool with the kids completely fail, and so on.

My only disappointment is they didn't find some way to use the "You're the Best Around" song.

by Anonymousreply 133May 13, 2018 5:53 PM

I liked the subtle humor. For example, when Johnny and Miguel talk about participating in the all-valley karate tournament, and you hear the occasional crunching sound of Aisha punching each of the students in the face (as ordered by Johnny) in the other room. Johnny attends the tournament's board meeting to get the CK ban lifted, and one of the board members takes a look at him and says, "The Alcoholics Anonymous meeting starts at 8." Then during the meeting, when Johnny makes the case for CK, he talks about how he's helping the kids find confidence, even if "they're losers"; he then corrects himself and describes his students as "unique". When Johnny orders Miguel to windex the glass in the dojo, Miguel asks if there's a specific way he should be scrubbing the glass. It could have been a perfect "wax on, wax off" opportunity, but Johnny replies, "I don't give a shit how you do it." Then lastly, at the tournament, when the smallest CK kid goes into a match with a competitor who's two feet taller than him, Johnny yells at his student, "No Mercy!". As if...

by Anonymousreply 134May 13, 2018 7:04 PM

r134 yes! A show where the characters are relatable but complicated and Johnny is coming around, but slowly. I have a fucking huge crush on him now and would like him to come around me!

by Anonymousreply 135May 13, 2018 7:08 PM

The show has also done a good job of making Johnny a complex character without painting his, let's say, "deplorable" habits in a positive light. His students embrace his lessons in a way that boost their confidence, but they also call him on his shit and he learns from them as well. I especially liked the way Miguel defended Aisha's interest in joining and when Johnny tried taunting them with "go on, hit her, women are equal, right?" well she just threw it right back in his face.

I also like that while it's obvious he's taken on a father figure role to make up for his shit relationship with Robbie, he's also not getting an easy redemption arc with Robbie (at least not yet). It's Daniel who is teaching Robbie to accept the fact that his father is an asshole deadbeat to him and to grow from it rather than let it drag him down.

by Anonymousreply 136May 13, 2018 7:48 PM

Johnny is an actor’s dream to play. Fun on the surface, but deep & damaged underneath.

I like how much Zabka cares about the character.

by Anonymousreply 137May 14, 2018 8:40 AM

[quote] I liked the subtle humor. For example, when Johnny and Miguel talk about participating in the all-valley karate tournament, and you hear the occasional crunching sound of Aisha punching each of the students in the face (as ordered by Johnny) in the other room.

There’s a miniature gong that sounds when Miguel & Aisha first spar that had me in tears of laugher. It was so unexpected yet so feeble, and lightened what could have been an awkward scene.

My favorite part about the kids so far is the triangular friendship between Aisha, Hawk & Miguel. It makes a lot of sense for them to band together tightly after all they’ve been through at the hands of their cruel classmates. Tbh I think they’ll need each other once Kreese gets a hold of them (or some other pawns...)

I also adore Demetri, and given his conflicted reaction to Eli/Hawk’s win during the All-Valley (“his name is MOSCOWITZ”) I wonder if he feels left behind by his former best friend. It wouldn’t surprise if he turns out to be the gay Cobra with a crush on Hawk (this show is all about diversity, so there’ll have to be one).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 15, 2018 10:38 AM

I loved Johnny trying to goad Daniel into a friendly spar after their drinking session.

“Come on, just one time!” sounded like he was trying to talk Danny into bed rather than a match😏 which ofc I loved. More of this teasing in Season 2 would go down smooth as Daniel’s martinis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 15, 2018 2:48 PM

Eager for the next season! Bummed I will have to wait until sometime in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 140May 16, 2018 5:09 AM

Behind-the-scenes moments from Season One....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 18, 2018 8:47 AM

Thanks r141, I shared that with my friend. I just love this show and that they are showing Johnny's side. Really looking forward to season 2.

by Anonymousreply 142May 18, 2018 3:57 PM

William Zabka is great in this. Ralph too. Almost done binging it.

by Anonymousreply 143May 18, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote] Johnny is coming around, but slowly. I have a fucking huge crush on him now.

I’m a gold-star of nearly 30 years and I spent the entirety of episode 4 salivating over Zabka in a tight tee.

by Anonymousreply 144May 19, 2018 7:14 PM

HIs voice r144, it's his voice that's killing me. So sexy.

by Anonymousreply 145May 19, 2018 11:46 PM

I haven't hit on another show that explains the differences between Gen X and the younger generations in terms of dealing with bullying and life in general.

by Anonymousreply 146May 21, 2018 11:24 AM

It’s an excellent show to explore the Gen X/Gen Z relationship, and so far so good.

Interesting though that COBRA KAI has no Millennial (aged early 20s to early 30s) speaking roles at all. Wonder why that is. There are a handful of background characters or bystanders of ostensible Millennial age (Robby’s roomies, the basketball bros Johnny tries to recruit and the yoga/jogging chicks he hits on) but no foreground character with a name or any relevance to the plot. Unless Anoush (Daniel’s competent underling at the dealership) is several years younger than I think he is, or Robby’s mother is...

This is why Season 2/3 calls for the intro of a sexy 28 year-old dude to the cast, it doesn’t matter for what. Maybe he could be an All-Valley official, or a protégé of a returning Mike Barnes, or even a relative of Kumiko or Ali (like a young cousin or nephew). We just need a hottie representing the missing Gen.

by Anonymousreply 147May 22, 2018 10:40 AM

For Season 2, They should make the bad Japanese rival from Part II, Soto I think his name was, open a bunch of rival car dealerships. And Lucille and Kreese should start dating.

by Anonymousreply 148May 22, 2018 12:58 PM

But there’s already a rival car dealer in Tom Cole...

by Anonymousreply 149May 22, 2018 4:40 PM

Daniel's deadbeat Jersey cousin cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 150May 22, 2018 6:04 PM

Robby needs a foxy older half-brother who looks just like Johnny did in the 80s/90s.

You just know that a college-aged Johnny Lawrence was fucking every girl in Encino back then.

by Anonymousreply 151May 23, 2018 6:37 PM

SPOILER ALERT:

Online commenters are calling the Kreese appearance at the end a PTSD hallucination on Johnny’s part. Could that be? It would be a cool swerve but seems a little farfetched for this show. Then again, we did get flashbacks galore and the disembodied voice of Miyagi, so who knows what will happen next season.

by Anonymousreply 152May 24, 2018 7:11 PM

I hope it wasn't. Seemed a waste to kill Kreese

by Anonymousreply 153May 24, 2018 8:08 PM

R150 Agreed, he's perfect in his role. So many great details to this show, it's just so well done and the acting is fantastic, all around. And in the last episode of this first season, both Johnny and Daniel are staring at the Myagi warned "imbalance" in their lives, how not knowing when something has gone too extreme, you've gone too far and let anger rule you and not the other way around, throws everything off kilter and results in bad consequences. Timely and relevant for our society.

Everything about this show is great. It really is the best small screen stuff I've seen in ages (and beating most big screen stuff, by a long shot.) I bet martial arts studios even see an uptick in new students from it. I feel like so many people today would benefit from this sort of training.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 24, 2018 10:25 PM

And this is going to sound goofy but even the aesthetic of the studios was appealing. When Daniel cleans out his garage and turns it back into his Japonisme training space my mind immediately said: "Oooo. I want that".

by Anonymousreply 155May 24, 2018 10:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 24, 2018 10:41 PM

The next season should add an Easter egg referencing the cutscene where Johnny gives Daniel a “death certificate”. To this day I can’t decide if it was intimidating and sexy or just campy hilarity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 26, 2018 6:24 PM

How does Macchio look so young? Is it the baby face that's fooling my eyes? And I'm hot for Zabka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158May 26, 2018 8:41 PM

Something I realized from this series is how good both Macchio and Zabka are as actors. I've just taken it for granted that the original "Karate Kid" films they were in were good largely because they're so good. Zabka's timing in his scenes is perfect. None of it feels unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 159May 26, 2018 8:44 PM

[quote]How does Macchio look so young? Is it the baby face that's fooling my eyes

It's the baby face. He looks like a kid in an adult body. It's so weird.

[quote]Online commenters are calling the Kreese appearance at the end a PTSD hallucination on Johnny’s part. Could that be?

I don't think so. Johnny has come far to prove that he's not as bad as Kreese so him hallucinating Kreese as if he's the devil on Johnny's shoulder seems regressive.

Martin Kove is confirmed for season two so we'll find out.

by Anonymousreply 160May 26, 2018 8:47 PM

I'm sure Lizzy Shue is available. Her character could get divorced, relocate to LA, get together with Johnny. Have Daniel get jealous, cause tension with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 161May 27, 2018 1:44 AM

How is Amanda gonna get jealous? She already knows her husband is in love with this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162May 27, 2018 11:42 AM

Zabka discusses his take on Johnny's perspective:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 29, 2018 1:48 AM

^^the comments there have to be making Zabka feel pretty damn good.

It’s all variations on 🔥❤️❤️😍😍 and “wow he’s actually a good actor give him his own movie”. Good for BZ, I say. He’s a sweetheart and a hard worker and it about time he got his dues.

by Anonymousreply 164May 29, 2018 4:51 PM

What is Kai shall never die.

by Anonymousreply 165May 30, 2018 6:19 PM

He looks like he throws a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 166May 30, 2018 8:48 PM

[quote] Johnny has come far to prove that he's not as bad as Kreese so him hallucinating Kreese as if he's the devil on Johnny's shoulder seems regressive.

Right. Also, half the audience and Daniel know from Part III that Kreese faked his death. Johnny just didn’t get the memo.

I really want to see how Silver takes to this new Johnny Lawrence, and if he’ll try to seduce one of his students.

by Anonymousreply 167May 31, 2018 6:29 PM

SPOILER ALERT R167!!

by Anonymousreply 168May 31, 2018 10:59 PM

Very sorry, R168. It is a little odd not to have at least seen a couple of the original KK movies before sitting down to COBRA KAI, though. I’m not suggesting watch the Hilary Swank one or the Jayden Smith reboot or the cartoon series, but maybe a rewatch of Part I followed by either Part II or III would be beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 169June 1, 2018 10:43 AM

That's okay. I've seen I and II a hundred times. I just assumed III was awful and never got around to renting it. Plus it's not something that's shown on cable often.

by Anonymousreply 170June 1, 2018 2:49 PM

[quote] I just assumed III was awful and never got around to renting it. Plus it's not something that's shown on cable often.

That’s a fair comment, Part III is awful and it’s only ever shown late-nights as part of marathons or on kids’ channels.

Worth mentioning though that’s it gloriously awful, in the campy way DL loves. It’s actually my secret favorite of the KK canon because it’s so lurid and accidentally exposes the whole premise as fundamentally flawed. Its like a Treehouse Of Horror episode with how seedy and sad the plot is; in 80 minutes runtime Daniel-san literally breaks up with Miyagi, gets assaulted by a Karate Terminator and then gets seduced and darksided by a billionaire. It’s gleefully fascinating in the way all earnest fuck-ups are. They’ll talk about it in the same breath as BABY JANE? one day, I’m sure of it.

I understand your gunshy feelings and you shouldn’t go out of your way to see it. But if it comes on TV, watch it.

by Anonymousreply 171June 1, 2018 3:29 PM

This series is really good. I'm watching for a second time.

by Anonymousreply 172June 1, 2018 7:30 PM

Sean Kanan was so thirsty to get in on this.

Not that anyone can blame him. It's great writing with great ratings, a good payday, the chance to feel up Zabka..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 4, 2018 8:37 AM

I’m kind of leery about the whole Mike Barnes thing, as much as I like Sean and I (secretly) liked KK Part III.

I don’t know what he could add beside a very minor peril for a couple episodes. There’s every chance that 70 year-old Kreese (who has been in hiding and losing his mind) doesn’t remember him, and it’s confirmed that Johnny doesn’t even know who he is. Daniel probably never mentioned Mike to his family or anyone else for that matter, and as Miyagi is dead that only leaves Daniel who knows the man at all. Is Mike really just going to walk back into Encino to shake Danny’s hand and say sorry? Or start shit with Johnny - a total stranger to him - on Kreese’s say-so? I just don’t get it.

It makes more sense to bring Ali back. She at least have ties to other characters and is known to some.

by Anonymousreply 174June 4, 2018 6:48 PM

It's not like Elisabeth Shue's career is exploding right now. She might as well come back for a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 175June 4, 2018 6:52 PM

No, bring back Julie-san!

Swank needs the boost more, and she's cooler as a character and an actor anyway. Plus, Daniel & Johnny have not ever met her to our knowledge, which makes for a mysterious and thrilling possibility for the meet cute.

by Anonymousreply 176June 4, 2018 11:52 PM

Swank doesn't need to be stinking up the screen with her mug.

by Anonymousreply 177June 5, 2018 3:00 AM

R177 = Annette Bening!

by Anonymousreply 178June 5, 2018 3:01 AM

Season 2 should have a theme song sung by Peter Cetera.

by Anonymousreply 179June 5, 2018 3:01 AM

Or Bananarama, R179

by Anonymousreply 180June 5, 2018 3:02 AM

Or Joe Esposito.

by Anonymousreply 181June 5, 2018 3:14 AM

Hopefully Amanda wakes up and smells the espresso next season, and hooks up with a young hot client at the dealership or some toyboy at the Country Club. Cuz DH is crazy over Johnny Lawrence, in more ways than one.

Also, anyone else get incestuous vibes from Robby/Shannon? Stg they were flirting in their first shared scene.

by Anonymousreply 182June 5, 2018 11:46 PM

Did Elisabeth Shue's character end up being skanky?

by Anonymousreply 183June 6, 2018 1:46 AM

We all know that William Zabka is a major DILF and a great actor. But did you guys know he is an Academy Award Nominee?

by Anonymousreply 184June 6, 2018 2:25 AM

Big deal. It's not like he was on a long running sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 185June 6, 2018 4:39 AM

R183 the second movie tells us Ali Mills did dump both Johnny & Daniel for a hot College football player in Senior Year (she ditched Daniel at Prom, legendarily). Her history after that is unknown up until the present day/'Cobra Kai' where we discover she has become a paediatrician and married a rugged Doctor hottie. She wins, basically.

by Anonymousreply 186June 6, 2018 7:40 AM

It's still so wild how Joyce Hyser in 'Just One of the Guys' looks exactly like Ralph Macchio in KK.

If you squint, that shower scene with Hyser & Zabka looks like one between Daniel LaRusso & Johnny Lawrence..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 6, 2018 8:53 PM

The Macchio/Zabka relationship is just the best. Hope season 2 goes in hard on that.

[quote] Fans of “The Karate Kid” might be shocked to learn that Ralph Macchio, who played bullied new kid Daniel LaRusso in the 1984 classic, is real-life pals with William Zabka, his on-screen nemesis Johnny Lawrence. Zabka tells The Post: “I don’t want to tell you what we’re like off-camera because it would spoil the fun, really. When we went to film this thing in Atlanta, we got there and went grocery shopping together....I’m asking if he needs his egg whites and he’s asking if I need my grapes. We’re like ‘The Odd Couple.’” This might not even be the end of their on-screen pairing: Zabka recalls him and Macchio getting lost while driving back to their apartments one night after filming. From the passenger seat, Zabka acted as Macchio’s navigator as he tried to decipher the GPS. “We laughed and said, ‘If this had a GoPro and a microphone, this would be a great reality show!’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188June 7, 2018 7:56 AM

Fuck the reality show, DL wants to see the sex tape.

by Anonymousreply 189June 7, 2018 12:34 PM

R189 I assume they had a sex type thing going at one point. Intensity like that has to go somewhere. They'd look very good together, actually - well, as good as two careworn former-pretty-boy actors can look.

And this really doesn't sound suspect at all, coming from a good Xtian boy who didn't marry until his '40s.

[quote] Zabka: “I don’t want to tell you what we’re like off-camera because it would spoil the fun.

by Anonymousreply 190June 8, 2018 12:03 AM

He he, we might get our chimes in the garden subplot at R33, yet !

by Anonymousreply 191June 8, 2018 1:24 AM

Just finished it. Phenomenal. Couldn’t be happier that it was as great as it was. Was a huge KK fan as a kid and had a huge crush on RM but Zabka and Johnny owned this. The teenage boys were SO much less interesting than the adults.

by Anonymousreply 192June 8, 2018 1:57 AM

Psyched for season 2 but disappointed to see that Elisabeth Shue signed on to an Amazon series. Cold.

by Anonymousreply 193June 8, 2018 1:59 AM

Who says they'll be shooting at the same time, R193?

by Anonymousreply 194June 8, 2018 2:27 AM

Ali was so spunky, fun and pretty in the original movie. I feel like she wouldn't be that anymore brought into COBRA KAI, even with Lizzy playing her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 11, 2018 11:58 PM

The show is better just focused on Daniel & Johnny's relationship. No need for Freddie, Ali, Dutch and every other side character to pop back up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196June 12, 2018 12:43 AM

There's no room for Ali. Daniel's married. And it's unlikely a doctor would be interested in a guy like Johnny; she'd probably still think he's a jerk. (He kind of is.) Unless...she got divorced, moved back to her hometown, and her kid signs up for karate lessons at Kobra Kai. She goes to pick him up after his lesson and is surprised that his teacher is her high school sweetheart.

However, I kind of liked the chemistry between Johnny and his protege's mother. She treated him like a human being and it made him want to act like a decent person; he rushed home and began cleaning his apartment.

by Anonymousreply 197June 12, 2018 1:59 AM

Didn't Ali marry a dweeb? He's probably not throwing down in the bedroom. Ali remembers what a mean fuck Johnny threw, bringing her to the edge of ecstasy every time creating enough moisture to fill Clear Lake. She hops on a plane, heads straight for The Valley and coincidentally rents an apartment on Hortense Street in Studio City. She becomes a rice queen when Chozen cums to town and can't get enough of his sticky rice. Johnny becomes enraged. With the enemy of his enemy, Daniel and Chozen team up to bring Johnny down.

by Anonymousreply 198June 12, 2018 3:39 AM

Can we discuss the hotness of Xolo? One more year til he is legal.

by Anonymousreply 199June 12, 2018 5:25 AM

R199 Tanner Buchanan is cuter, and already legal. Plus his name is such a pleasing rhyme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 12, 2018 12:33 PM

Aw, Tanner is really adorable. I love that crooked pout and that warm healthy blush, it’s very sexy. He’s got pretty eyes and hair too, all shiny and sparkly.

Xolo is a nice-looking kid and I like his intensity, but I get why all the little girls watching CK with their daddies secretly thirst after Tanner.

by Anonymousreply 201June 12, 2018 2:18 PM

Tanner needs to get rid of the 1995 hair on the show.

by Anonymousreply 202June 12, 2018 3:01 PM

Online critics are calling for an Emmy nom for Zabka. Go, BZ!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 13, 2018 8:54 PM

Just me, or does Daniel have a little more sugar in his tank this time around?

Sure, he has a hot wife and a passel of children now. But something still isn't right with that picture...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204June 14, 2018 9:10 PM

There’s a theory going around that some of the parentage among the teens is shady. Reddit commenters believe that Mike Barnes could be Miguel’s real dad, and I have read blog comments wondering whether Robby’s resemblance to Terry Silver plus Shannon’s promiscuity casts Johnny’s fatherhood into doubt...

by Anonymousreply 205June 18, 2018 5:54 PM

I hope it doesn't get all soap opera-y with those theories. It's just fine the way it is now.

by Anonymousreply 206June 19, 2018 7:08 PM

R206 the show already is soap operish, even Ralph Macchio called it a "karate soap opera"

by Anonymousreply 207June 19, 2018 7:55 PM

Daniel is Alexis Colby, Johnny is Sable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208June 19, 2018 8:26 PM

I adore Billy Zabka but he ought to stop wearing inept jeans with a cheap-seeming, ill-fitting maitre-D jacket. He's too sexy and fit to wear such awful clothes in such an awful way. He looks like a British tv host.

Or, as he's Italian and should know better, Macchio should step up and stop letting his man go out attired thus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209June 20, 2018 11:49 PM

"For Your Consideration...."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210June 22, 2018 8:40 AM

Jon Hurwitz, one of the main creators and writers, talks Season 2 with Sarah O’Connell:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211June 22, 2018 7:51 PM

COBRA KAI just got a Kid's Choice Award. And right on time for the official anniversary of KK.

[quote] @jonhurwitz Happy 34th Anniversary, @ralphmacchio and @WilliamZabka! #lovebirds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212June 23, 2018 8:36 AM

Johnny & Jess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 24, 2018 8:48 AM

^^Robyn is so much cooler than her sister. I hope she had a few cheeky drinks with Billy that day.

by Anonymousreply 214June 24, 2018 1:58 PM

R189 in joint interviews Zabka always manages to find a way to touch Macchio, whether over the heart or on the nape (or both, as below).

Their body language is very affectionate, I see why Hurwitz calls them 'lovebirds'. Even their feet often orient towards each other (big tell, our feet will often 'give us away'). The coming seasons need to play off of that and channel it into energy for their scenes together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215June 26, 2018 4:50 PM

I hope the show gets nominated for some Emmys

by Anonymousreply 216June 27, 2018 4:18 AM

You can still vote in the Teen Choice Awards '18 for COBRA KAI, in the category 'Choice Summer TV Show'. It is up against several shows I have never heard of, such as Beat Shazam (?) and Marvel's Cloak & Dagger, as well as So You Think You Can Dance? which I had no idea was even still on the air. You have 10 votes per day to use.

You can (and should) also vote for Xolo in the category 'Choice Summer TV Star'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217June 27, 2018 6:24 AM

Billy says that he & Ralph already had planned to work together on some mysterious production before COBRA KAI was on their radar. I’m desperate to know what that was, and I hope they go back to it.

[quote] “We actually had a project where we were starting right around the time the [Cobra Kai creators] came to meet us,“ he explained. “We had something brewing, and we felt like there was something out there, for the two of us together.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218June 29, 2018 10:37 AM

its very !!! good.

highly recommend..... the blonde stud who is Ralph's buddy/ mr zebka?/ is soo hot. I hope he has some gay action in it....stud.

by Anonymousreply 219June 29, 2018 10:44 AM

Best new show of the year. very funny and …. smart.

by Anonymousreply 220June 29, 2018 10:45 AM

R189 you’re in good company, apparently; the fine ladies over at Archive Of Our Own have written nearly 50 steamy tales on the subject of Daniel & Johnny tenderly fucking, and this show only got released 8 weeks ago.

In their defense, ‘strike first, strike hard, no mercy’ really does sound like Sean Cody tagline. I challenge any one of you dolls to find a pornalike for Zabka & Macchio (then or now) going at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 29, 2018 12:08 PM

I hope this doesn't become like Empire and peter out in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 222June 29, 2018 2:12 PM

I want to know how big William Zabka’s Cobra is.

by Anonymousreply 223July 3, 2018 6:15 PM

Someone save Xolo from the Fraulein!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 3, 2018 6:28 PM

[quote] Hopefully Amanda wakes up and smells the espresso next season, and hooks up with a young hot client at the dealership or some toyboy at the Country Club. Cuz DH is crazy over Johnny Lawrence.

R182 Amanda keeps making gay jokes about Daniel. I counted 3 quips on my last (3rd) rewatch of the series.

She's no fool and definitely in the relationship for the beautiful house and the auto franchise, the eternally-youthful genes for her kids, and the man who absorbs a glorious amount of abuse. That's a tempting package deal for any woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 3, 2018 8:46 PM

^^Amanda is hilarious. I wanted more scenes with her in S1, and with Lucille (Daniel’s Mom).

by Anonymousreply 226July 4, 2018 8:54 AM

I’m gonna need Johnny to beat the shit out of Mike Barnes when he appears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227July 7, 2018 8:50 PM

R222 I think the chemistry of the cast is too good for this to ever become uninteresting, even if it ever hits some plot walls on occasion. The characters are interesting enough. The first episode was pretty much a character study of Johnny Lawrence and it was totally engaging. I feel like the only thing that could mess it up is if they all start second guessing themselves and not trusting their instincts, overthink it and try "fixing" what isn't broken.

But little, subtle things about this series stick out for me and I'm already committed to the next season. Even the little smirk Johnny gives as Danny pulls away tells you so much about the story and the character. It's almost like Johnny has developed an affection, a fondness for their rivalry: Like the rivalry itself is an old friend and you see Danny subconsciously become invigorated by it, too.

They share a naturally competitive tendency and the old adage of clashing the most with people most like you (because it then becomes like a a challenge, like a battle between two equals for one role, one place) is even more true with very competitive people. Johnny is invigorated by the challenge and it helps to pull him out of his depression because ultimately, it's about his being true to who he really is at his core.

by Anonymousreply 228July 8, 2018 1:02 PM

Bring Tamlyn Tomita back for Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 229July 8, 2018 6:53 PM

... Especially since Elisabeth Shue is being a lame bitch.

by Anonymousreply 230July 8, 2018 6:53 PM

Looks like neither Ali nor Kumiko will be necessary returns in upcoming seasons; as of a recent update, The Karate Kid Wiki now lists Johnny Lawrence's 'love interests' in chronological order as: Ali Mills; Daniel Larusso.

….spoiler alert? Guess all that cute fanservice malarkey in Episode 9 had a point after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 8, 2018 7:35 PM

Did JOhnny ever taste Daniel's Italian sausage?

by Anonymousreply 232July 8, 2018 7:37 PM

^^If any glans were being drained at all, can't imagine Zabka was the one sucking and-a swallowing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 9, 2018 8:26 PM

The teen fans of this show are shipping Xolo with Hannah Kepple, the girl who plays Moon. It’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 234July 11, 2018 7:37 PM

Will Zabka get an Emmy nomination?

by Anonymousreply 235July 11, 2018 7:42 PM

^^That Dragon Show and Winona Things robbed our King Cobra.

There's always next year.

by Anonymousreply 236July 13, 2018 8:25 AM

I’ll shriek gleefully if they give former porn legend Kove a fucking Emmy next Summer.

by Anonymousreply 237July 13, 2018 11:42 AM

I love Shue ("don't FUCK with the Babysitter!" and THAT flicky blowout!) and Ali was iconic, but I still don't really get what Johnny ever wanted with her in THE KARATE KID and why he still pines after her in COBRA KAI (seen in his sit-down flashback conversation with Miguel, where he explains his headband origin).

If J. was really an "Ace delinquent" then surely he'd have his pick of girls and would choose one with more of a tuff attitude - I'm thinking one who looks and acts like Billie Jean in THE LEGEND OF...., or a MG like the one James Spader dates in PRETTY IN PINK. Ali always seemed too lowkey and chilled out for him. Yeah, he was trying to "make it all work" back in '84 and Ali was a "good girl" and a conscientious type; but what did they have in common besides a strong GPA, blonde locks & a tan, and family money? Perhaps it was all just for show, as in COBRA KAI Johnny shows attraction toward Carmen Diaz who is decidedly nothing like his HS flame and later on seeing Ali's FB profile & pic he snorts "ugh, what a downgrade" (which, fucking rude tbh).

All of this to say that it doesn't surprise me that female fans of this show and these movies prefer to pair Johnny with Daniel (who show a strong attraction) than with any of the fairly-incompatible female characters. Ali is a kick, though. I do want to see her back for a cameo or even a spotlight episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 18, 2018 7:21 AM

R129 those AdWeek shots were taken at a real dojo, the massive Seido Honbu 23rd St. in NYC.

The photog Axel Dupeux did a superb job making two normal 50-something dads look like cool & credible leads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 27, 2018 8:59 PM

I finally signed up for my free month of YouTube R d and just binged this I one day. I used to watch the original KK movie almost every week with my dad when I was younger so I had very high expectations - and I wasn’t disappointed.

I show really managed to capture the nostalgia aspect while not making the common mistake of just feeling like it was retreading the same ground.

The only week link I thought was Robbie. I didn’t feel like he ‘earned’ his character arc and it seems like we were just supposed to warm to him because he has pouty lips. I thought the kid who played Miguel was excellent though.

by Anonymousreply 240July 28, 2018 4:21 PM

Zabka & Macchio are both so good with little kids. They look like hopeful foster-parents (season 6 idea?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 29, 2018 10:11 AM

YouTube execs are in talks to extend Season 2 over the customary 10 episodes, and cast more characters.

It's been revealed that Marty Kove's Kreese won't appear in every episode of the upcoming season, either.

by Anonymousreply 242July 29, 2018 9:15 PM

How is Zabka so handsome even in candids? And why do him & Macchio have matching phones?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 30, 2018 10:08 PM

Damn, I don't usually like blonds and never crushed on Zabka back then but he's really hot now!

by Anonymousreply 244July 30, 2018 11:20 PM

He is more interesting as an older man, like fine wine. Raph also aged well

by Anonymousreply 245August 1, 2018 2:03 AM

Mary Mouser is open to lesbian experiences, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 1, 2018 7:18 AM

Maybe I'm projecting but; does Julia Macchio have a little crush on Billy? She's 26 now, and her Dad and Billy reconnected about 12 years ago so she's known him since she was 14. That's a tender age to meet Zabka.

It would be a trip to see her in COBRA KAI. Nepotism does suck, but as Julia is already an actress with credits and a SAG card it wouldn't be that egregious. She looks the spit of Ralph so she'd have to be a new LaRusso, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 1, 2018 10:31 PM

The composers Leo Birenberg & Zach Robinson did a killer job of integrating the score for the original movie into a fresh setting.

They also totally seem like a gay couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 5, 2018 8:48 AM

Season Two is scheduled to start filming in 8 weeks and they're still writing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 5, 2018 1:15 PM

If any of the original 'girls' come back, I hope for Robyn Lively.

Jessica was fun and down-to-Earth unlike serious Kumiko and hothead Ali. She knew enough to laugh off Daniel's awkward courtship and tell him to knock off the karate bullshit before he got himself maimed, unlike the aforementioned. She'd have great chemistry with Johnny and his straight-shooting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250August 7, 2018 10:17 PM

Half the people probably never even saw Part III, don't remember it, or hate it so it'd be foolish to bring her back. Most fans would probably want Ali.

by Anonymousreply 251August 7, 2018 10:40 PM

Courtney Henggeler, who plays Amanda LaRusso, just gave this statement on Season 2 that has me shook.

[quote] “I think Amanda will meet some challenges now that Daniel’s focus is shifting back into the world of Karate,” Courtney said. “They both created this wildly successful business together. But what happens now that Daniel has other aspirations? I also have a secret desire for Amanda to get involved with Johnny. But that’s more based on the 11-year-old Courtney who lives inside of me.”

by Anonymousreply 252August 10, 2018 7:40 PM

I imagine Henggeler is popular with babydykes watching...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 15, 2018 8:59 AM

[quote]It's still so wild how Joyce Hyser in 'Just One of the Guys' looks exactly like Ralph Macchio in KK.

R187 I think it was intentional. Sherilyn Fenn remarks that s/he looks like the Karate Kid and develops a crush on her... er, 'him.'

It's too bad the show didn't get any Emmy nods besides 'stunts' or some bullshit like that. Then again, many of the nominations were very questionable this year. They really need to restructure.

by Anonymousreply 254August 15, 2018 5:59 PM

[quote]It's still so wild how Joyce Hyser in 'Just One of the Guys' looks exactly like Ralph Macchio in KK.

R187 I think it was intentional. Sherilyn Fenn remarks that Terri looks like the Karate Kid and develops a crush on her... er, 'him.'

It's too bad the show didn't get any Emmy nods besides 'stunts' or some bullshit like that. Then again, a lot of the nominations were questionable. They really need to restructure.

by Anonymousreply 255August 15, 2018 6:01 PM

So when is Season 2 coming out? Not sure how I'll watch it though - I canceled Youtube Red as soon as I finished watching the first season.

by Anonymousreply 256February 24, 2019 7:53 AM

Season 2 trailers are here, and the first episodes of the year are about to drop.

Thoughts? I'm thinking Zakba looks leaner and meaner than last time, and little Tanner has obviously hit the gym.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257March 15, 2019 1:30 AM

New interview with E! Canada. Apparently it's gonna be a Dojo vs. Dojo arc this time around.

Ralph reveals he wasn't invited to the Westwood premiere of KK1 that the Cobras got screened. Serious kayfabe. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258March 15, 2019 11:49 AM

The next season already looks so good. This is such a well made show.

by Anonymousreply 259March 15, 2019 11:32 PM

I feel like Kreese will be the breakout dark horse character of this new season.

And I’m gonna need to see Terry Silver (as played by T.Griffith, accept no substitute).

by Anonymousreply 260March 16, 2019 9:52 AM

William Zabka has got to be the hottest 50 something straight guy. He's handsome, fit, and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 261March 16, 2019 10:45 AM

I’m still hoping they make the Demetri, Bert and/or Aisha characters gay. There should be a little representation on the CK side.

From the trailer it looks like Hawk will be straight, in the mold of the O.G. CK guys who would catcall girls and hook up a lot.

by Anonymousreply 262March 18, 2019 8:12 PM

^^Hawk is definitely very into girls, but I still hold out hope for a gay!Demetri and maybe Hawk/Demetri even if it's only one-sided or just hinted at a little so the fanshipper tweens have something to work with. I get the original point of showing them as false friends (that sometimes it is not our enemies but our friends who hurt us and hold us back) but there's no reason they can't reconcile or change their relationship. It's predictable to make them foils.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263March 18, 2019 9:56 PM

So is Kreese real, or is he a figment of Johnny's imagination? He was supposed to have died according to one of the later KK movies.

by Anonymousreply 264March 18, 2019 10:01 PM

I'm actually going to get Youtube Red for the time it takes to watch this next season, the show is that good.

by Anonymousreply 265March 18, 2019 10:17 PM

R264 Have you seen Season 1, yet? How and why Kreese reemerges is going to be covered in this next season.

by Anonymousreply 266March 18, 2019 10:20 PM

R264, yes, i binged the entire season over two days. I loved the surprise ending with Kreese.

by Anonymousreply 267March 19, 2019 2:21 PM

R264 Kreese's fate was revealed in KK Pt.III, but that's covered upthread already and it's kind of a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 268March 19, 2019 9:43 PM

Official season 2 trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269April 4, 2019 9:28 PM

^ that is...a lot of kicking, for Karate. And a lot of smashing shit (including mirrors? That’s bad luck, guys...)

Looks like we’re getting our Lawrusso showdown if the ending bodes..

by Anonymousreply 270April 4, 2019 9:36 PM

R269 @1:32 that little punk gutter-rat Hawk better not lay hands on precious gay Demitri unless it’s from a place of love. Why can’t they just date rather than hate? (But then where is the drama, I guess..)

by Anonymousreply 271April 4, 2019 9:38 PM

First episode of second season is free to watch, btw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272April 24, 2019 10:20 PM

On episode 3. I think Macchio got younger this season.

by Anonymousreply 273April 25, 2019 1:19 AM

Such a great show. They're still getting the balance right this season (so far). I'm sincerely impressed with Zabka's acting skills. He's just so good. I'm starting to realize he's really been an underappreciated talent and perhaps because of his '80s iconic bully status. People have cemented him in their minds as an archetype.

It's fascinating how it might actually be the same character, just in a different time period, that challenges that. We rarely see the story of the grown-up bully, the wiser adult that has the wisdom to better understand the damaged youth they were. This series is far more interesting than I initially expected it to be. I thought it would be fun, maybe a little bit of a nostalgia fest but we're getting serious character study, "human condition" type stuff. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 274April 25, 2019 2:05 AM

Tanner Buchanan is a hot piece of ass

by Anonymousreply 275April 25, 2019 2:23 AM

R275 they're certainly not shying away from showing off his body this season. Not that I'm complaining.

Does anyone else find it difficult to tell the girls apart in this show? Sam, Moon and now the new girl Tory all look like clones of each other and I can only tell them apart by contextual clues.

by Anonymousreply 276April 25, 2019 7:33 AM

I just finished episode 4 of S2 and it's really holding up. I adored season 1 so was worried that 2 wouldn't live up but I'm really enjoying it.

Kreese is a surprisingly enjoyable addition, prob because it gives Zabka more to play off. Zabka is the show for me. Can't actually believe how dislikeable I find Macchio and Daniel- was a huge Macchio fan in the '80s, so it's amazing to me that I find the goody two shoes, cheesy character so distasteful now.

In contrast, every time Zabka is on screen, the show is exponentially better. I also love Miguel-- the actor is so much better than the (much hotter) actor who plays Robby.

by Anonymousreply 277April 25, 2019 3:21 PM

I'm also loving the interaction between Miguel and Johnny this season too

by Anonymousreply 278April 25, 2019 3:47 PM

Johnny discovering the internet was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 279April 25, 2019 11:32 PM

So is there any way around this Youtube Premium Red or whatever it is called? I subscribed last time just to see this show, then canceled afterward.

Eh, I guess I can subscribe for $12 for one month and then cancel after.

by Anonymousreply 280April 26, 2019 8:14 AM

Someone who’s deep into S02 please spill: what are the must-see Lawrusso moments and in which episodes do they happen?

by Anonymousreply 281April 26, 2019 10:21 AM

R280, last year it was YouTube Red. Now it's YouTube Premium. I canceled Red last year after a month and was able to sign up for Premium this year for a one month free trial. I hope they come up with something new before season 3 next year lol.

by Anonymousreply 282April 26, 2019 12:21 PM

R281 - the last 4 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 283April 26, 2019 12:22 PM

R278 I'll write *spoilers* (just in case)...

...I love how Johnny has appeared to have gone through the most growth since the movies. When he's giving Miguel a lecture about what honor means, what's an authentic win, it's such a perfect moment for the show because it's in line with the deeper philosophy of what Johnny's teaching. More meaningful "success" came disguised as failure and that adversity forced him to learn to understand what true failure even is.

At this point in his life, Johnny is more like Myagi than Danny is but when you think of Myagi as a war hero, it makes sense. Myagi was probably more like Johnny than Danny as a young man but extreme adversity impacted his worldview and commitment to understanding that adversity through meditation, spiritual reflection and training brought him to the place of wisdom he was in, when teenaged Danny crossed paths with him.

It's another fascinating example of balance, of people not being outright good or bad but in danger of becoming villains or too passive and unable to defend, if things get out of balance. The entire purpose of the techniques Myagi was teaching was based on this.

by Anonymousreply 284April 26, 2019 1:52 PM

I finished a 2 day Cobra Kai bender last night. I thought S2 was better than 1. The last two episodes are absolutely fantastic, esp. the finale. The cliffhangers left out there, which I don't want to spoil, are a few of the best I've seen in any TV show in recently years.

Zabka showed amazing depth as an actor in the last 2 episodes and esp. in the finale.

I did have a few gripes with the show, though. The karate is actually pretty cheesy and bad, though I think it's supposed to be in the big West Side Story-ish scenes in the finale and earlier in the mall. Tory could have completely destroyed Sam- she was so fierce and Sam so blah. Daniel continues to grate with his holier than thou attitude, though he has his moments, esp. in the double date-ish scene in Ep. 9 though, as always, that has something to do with my strong love for Zabka.

Some old Cobra Kai members reappear and they look absolutely tragic. Makes me appreciate how well Zabka and even Macchio have aged.

Robby grew on me this season, though that's probably an unpopular opinion. He is very pretty and could land someone hotter than Sam.

by Anonymousreply 285April 26, 2019 2:03 PM

R284 Something else: I also like how Johnny's son, Robby, is gaining self-control and attaining admirable habits from Danny but isn't yet advanced enough to see the growth happening before his eyes in his own Father.

He's in the mode of idolizing his Sensai (I was like this, years ago, I was the one running around to set things up, clean things up and "serve" a martial arts Sensai without expectation, so I'm impressed that they're showing this in the show, how students of martial arts can think their Sensai can do no wrong and become very obedient to follow their direction; what happened to Johnny) so he doesn't see any flaws in Danny, yet.

He's also contrasting this shrine of ideals he's building-up around Danny, with an equally extreme villain interpretation of his Father because both are based on his emotional vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 286April 26, 2019 2:05 PM

And Demtri sucked. The entire season. Absolutely hated that character and he made me hate the Miyagi dojo kids even more.

by Anonymousreply 287April 26, 2019 2:29 PM

Just more thoughts as I read some on-line comments about the briliant 2nd season. I LOVE how the show is so meta and winks so often to the hard-core fans of the original KK. The entire episode with the old Cobra Kai members is so well-done and ends on a note that is absolutely a shout out to one of the most famous lines from the original. I'm still shaking my head and laughing just thinking about it, but don't want to spoil it for those still viewing.

by Anonymousreply 288April 26, 2019 6:04 PM

[quote] I'm sincerely impressed with Zabka's skills. He's just so good. I'm starting to realize he's really been an underappreciated talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289April 26, 2019 7:42 PM

Zabka is now older than Pat Morita/Mr Miyagi was when he filmed the first Karate Kid

by Anonymousreply 290April 26, 2019 7:56 PM

Is Zabka doing Hawke with his 13 x 8.5?

by Anonymousreply 291April 27, 2019 1:04 AM

Zabka has BDE.

And Bi-DE. He didn’t marry until his late 30s/40-ish and before that kept a very low profile sexually staying out of HW. He’s probably got 20 illegitimate kids out there, and I refuse to believe he banged only women in his youthful travels.

by Anonymousreply 292April 27, 2019 7:08 AM

Tony O'Dell looked good.

by Anonymousreply 293April 27, 2019 12:43 PM

R282, good tip. I will sign up for my free Youtube Premium trial now!

by Anonymousreply 294April 27, 2019 9:26 PM

Johnny & Daniel bang next season or I walk.

by Anonymousreply 295April 28, 2019 7:06 PM

Yeah, I'm sure that's what most of the hetero fanbase is clamoring for too.

by Anonymousreply 296April 28, 2019 8:20 PM

Do you think Tony O'Dell was gangbanged by the other Cobra Kai's?

by Anonymousreply 297April 29, 2019 2:05 AM

I just watched a few episodes of Season 2. Excellent show! Entertaining and well-written -- it deserves a wider audience.

by Anonymousreply 298April 29, 2019 8:23 PM

Just watched all Season 2 episodes. Didn't expect the shit to get so real!

by Anonymousreply 299April 29, 2019 8:42 PM

It was so crazy at the end! Great show.

by Anonymousreply 300April 30, 2019 2:29 AM

The first episode moved a bit slow for me as I got back into the swing of the show but once again I blew through it in no time. It was a really great second season.

by Anonymousreply 301April 30, 2019 3:21 AM

Has Lizzy Shue signed on for season 3?

by Anonymousreply 302April 30, 2019 4:00 AM

R302 I assume so, otherwise they wouldn't have left us with hat cliffhanger, surely?

R277 I agree, the kid who plays Miguel is great (even though it's the Zabka show). I hope he's not dead!

by Anonymousreply 303April 30, 2019 6:58 AM

This looks really good. I wish the second Karate Kid had followed with Kove et al.

by Anonymousreply 304April 30, 2019 7:33 AM

You can relax R303. I'm sure Ali is going to be Miguel's specialist doctor who helps him recuperate while falling back in love with Johnny and Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 305April 30, 2019 12:04 PM

BZ...looks like Steve Ellis not a little, yes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 30, 2019 9:46 PM

I could have done without the gratuitous lesbianism.

by Anonymousreply 307May 2, 2019 12:52 PM

^^yo WHAT? How bad/good are we talking?

I haven’t caught this season yet, but depending on how gratuitous this fanservice is I’ll either bump it up or off my watchlist right now.

by Anonymousreply 308May 2, 2019 1:32 PM

R308 It's just part of one scene at a house party midway through the season. There isn't any gay content though

by Anonymousreply 309May 2, 2019 1:44 PM

[quote]^^yo WHAT? How bad/good are we talking?

Just two girls kissing at a party.

by Anonymousreply 310May 2, 2019 1:47 PM

It wasn't the lesbianism per se that bothered me, just that it was used as a cheap (and rather cliche) plot twist. If the scene had involved one of the female karate students it might have made a lot more sense, given the plethora of dykes in the dojo, but it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 311May 2, 2019 8:37 PM

Renewed for season 3....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312May 3, 2019 12:56 AM

[bold]YouTube Will Make ‘Cobra Kai,’ Other Originals Free to Watch Later This Year[/bold]

[quote]YouTube is officially bringing all of its original series and specials — available for free, with ads — starting this year.

[quote]For two weeks, from Aug. 29 to Sept. 11, YouTube will make all of “Cobra Kai” season 1 available for free. Then on Sept. 11, YouTube will serve up the second season of “Cobra Kai” globally for free, with new episodes released weekly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 3, 2019 1:41 AM

R307/R311 Moon would have made a lovely lesbian and Demitri a gay. Alas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314May 3, 2019 9:26 AM

I ship Hawk x Dimitri so this scene was agony. Why must my boys fuss and feud when they’re truly so right for each other?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315May 3, 2019 4:43 PM

^Hawk walks into that scene hair-first lmao (how long does it take to get that Do?). The dismissive sneer Dimitri gives him for the macho bullshit is so Datalounge though you guys would never cop to that.

but yeah, hard scenes to watch in places. "You think I'm afraid of you? I know who you really are..." hit me where I live, and the heartbreak in his voice when he asked "...you'd actually hurt me?" was kind of upsetting. I'd like to see them at least reconcile in Season 3 if not get some solo scenes and become close again.

"This is what it's come to? Gang Assault!" cracked me up. I think it was the line delivery. The New Wave track that plays over the mall chase sequence is very John Hughesian choice (I guess it's called 'No Shelter'?). The save by Sam & Robby was so contrived though (is the Big Idea that Dimitri is their stable center?), and I'd have preferred to see exactly what Hawk & pals could do to Dimitri as proof of how twisted Cobra Kai can get. The Hawk & Robby rivalry feels lame and forced to me (but then so does the Sam/Robby romance, bleugh).

I don't get why people hate on Dimitri either; true he's outspoken and a bit of a pretentious brat like many a nerdy teen plus he was overbearing with Eli in the beginning, but he isn't easily intimidated and he does have principles with good intentions when it comes to relationships. He may be useless in a fight and get his ass kicked constantly but it doesn't affect his pluck or ruin his day. Maybe he isn't well-liked because he reminds certain viewers of themselves?

by Anonymousreply 316May 3, 2019 6:36 PM

R314 Moon is a bi/pan/whatever sexual. She’s with a girl now after Hawk.

I think Hawk will reconcile with Demetri. The way it was played he seemed to miss Demetri for a brief moment when they were reconnecting in conversation over Doctor Who, and the feeling was obviously mutual (note: this moment was conspicuously juxtaposed with the lesbian kiss...). Even when it went sour due to Hawk’s jealous temper and Demetri’s bitchy retaliation, both seemed personally upset as well as generally humiliated and angry.

Then in their climactic fight in the final episode a newly-trained Demetri goes out of his way to land as few hits as possible on Hawk and tells him sadly “no hard feelings” once he sees his moment to down him.

Many fans are saying Demetri was never a friend to Hawk/Eli and was almost a bully to him in the way he overpowered him, but I think that it all came from a place of love. It’s clear from their heightened emotions about it all that they could have and do want a fulfilling relationship, it just has to be renegotiated now they’re changing - much like the one between two older gentlemen who shall remain nameless..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317May 6, 2019 2:43 PM

Also - HOW are viewers missing or denying the parallel between Daniel & Demetri? They found the skinniest, most irritating motormouth Italian kid they could to play Demetri then had him constantly complain and challenge other characters while stumbling into fights he couldn’t win..but nah, he’s nothing like Daniel. Smh

by Anonymousreply 318May 6, 2019 2:43 PM

R318 - I get that Demitri is similar to Daniel, but Daniel had some charm. Maybe it's the actor, but Macchio/Daniel was sweet , this guy is just grating. He was also better looking in the original KK, IMHO. And, no, it has nothing to do with my high school experience or anything related to me. I just don't like the character or actor or maybe both.

I think it also has to do with the fact that I love Johnny and Cobra Kai, so I'm already a bit biased against all the Miyagi Do kids and Demitri is the one I happen to like the least. I think we are supposed to feel sympathetic towards him, but I just don't. I also think we are supposed to be pro-Miyagi Do (or at least balanced between MIyagi Do and Cobra Kai) and I"m also not.

by Anonymousreply 319May 6, 2019 2:51 PM

R319 I also prefer CK to Miyagi-do. I find Robby boring as hell and Sam to be a Mary Sue. Demetri is actually the only interesting student Daniel’s dojo has, precisely because his flaws are so glaring and so annoying. Demetri has a strong character that has potential to go somewhere even if he is hateable; I can’t find a reason to care enough about Robby to even loathe him.

By contrast I like most of CK including Hawk, though I worry that Miguel’s wangsting over Sam Bloreusso is taking screentime away from Aisha, Bert and the person others. I want Antony Larusso to wander in the dojo but he hasn’t yet.

by Anonymousreply 320May 6, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote] Daniel continues to grate with his holier than thou attitude, though he has his moments, esp. in the double date-ish scene in Ep. 9 though that has something to do with my strong love for Zabka.

The double-date was one of my favorite scenes. You see Johnny fall a little bit in love with Daniel for sending Robby back to school and Daniel reciprocating when Johnny tells him Kreese is out of his life and later as they wait for a ride that he just wants to make peace (or love, whatever). Even the underscoring music agrees.

Macchio seems to understand well that Daniel's role in their solo scenes is basically that of Johnny's scornful nagging jealous ex who still thirsts him but can't keep from trying to change him, and it's sweet of Macchio to lean into this chemistry and turn their interactions into something fun and indulgent without cringing back. Zabka for his part makes Daniel Larusso animated and gives Johnny a kicky playful edge in scenes with him.

As someone looking for m/m content I love how the writers create scenes that edge so close to the subtextual line, as with the aforementioned scene where Daniel & Johnny are out on a literal date together sat across a dinnertable gazing lovingly and trading flirtatious vulnerable dialogue - "we can't write them on a date with each other IRL, but let's find a way to do it anyways". These brilliant writers exploit that delicious tension, arising from everyone at some point coming between dubiously-heterosexual moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321May 6, 2019 7:19 PM

They need Joe Esposito to record another high energy song for this show.

by Anonymousreply 322May 6, 2019 10:51 PM

R318, I had no idea the actor who plays Demetri is Italian. I thought he was Russian, or at least that's what his character's name sounds like to me.

by Anonymousreply 323May 7, 2019 1:45 AM

Gianni Decenzo is indeed Italian😂but yeah, I don’t know why creators didn’t play that up more and make it part of his character. He looks too pale I guess?

I find it interesting they gave his character a Russian name and Jacob Bertrand’s Hawk a Polish/Jewish name (Eli Moscowitz).

by Anonymousreply 324May 7, 2019 7:39 AM

Demetri could be Kai if he were allowed to train in the Silver method, which favors intelligence, imagination and tactics (albeit dirty ones) over force and ballsiness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325May 7, 2019 10:00 AM

Now I just found out he's 18 I feel like utter perverted filth finding Jacob Bertrand attractive. In my defense he looks old for his age, and it's more common practise in TV to have mid-late twentysomethings playing teens than actual highschool actors. To look at I just assumed he was somewhere between age 23-27.

I'm still pissed there are no Millennial characters on this show at all, let alone decent well-drawn ones.

by Anonymousreply 326May 7, 2019 10:57 PM

R326 aw you’re forgiven. Jacob does look older, and you should hear how some of the Queens here talk about high school boys :/. If you’re a very young Millennial there’s only five or six years age difference between you & him, so again that’s nbd (he’s not a girl and this isn’t a hetero fantasy, so). I believe Mary Mouser (the woman playing Sam) is solidly into in her twenties as are the girls who plays the bullies Yasmin & Tory.

It’s easy to make mistakes when these kids are so careful with their bio info online (as well they should be). Still it would be nice to know if any of the young actors are gay from a representation standpoint. I thought and assumed Gianni was but looking at his IG & Twitter he just seems a very nerdy straight, like a Bill Hader type of dude (they both work with The Second City).

by Anonymousreply 327May 8, 2019 12:38 PM

Interesting article (spoiler-ish)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328May 8, 2019 6:47 PM

I don't mind there not being a gay character on the show besides Moon, who I think is bisexual. I actually liked the scene with Moon kissing her GF in front of Hawk. He is not going to fight a girl who's not into martial arts. He just backed down and then internalized his feelings lol.

I hope we can see more of Aisha next season. In fact, I like all of the characters except for Sam.

Some people don't understand why Robby and Hawk hate each other but I think it stems from Hawk injuring Robby in an illegal move during the tournament. I think next season Robby and Johnny will reconnect since they pretty much lost everything. I don't get the Sam + Robby romance. It's probably out of convenience.

But Sam is intolerable, I'm sorry. The goody two shoe. Judges people.

by Anonymousreply 329May 8, 2019 11:03 PM

Will Ali show up with a son or a daughter? I'm guessing daughter that will hook up with Hawk to her dismay.

by Anonymousreply 330May 9, 2019 2:14 AM

Tory's last name is Schwarber, r330. Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 331May 9, 2019 2:43 AM

That scene at the hospital when Daniel caught Johnny crying over Miguel was so intense and lovely. Johnny’s pain is the deepest and lonelinest chasm.

The whole time I was yelling at the screen “just HOLD HIM Danny he just wants LOVE”. Daniel seemed like he was thinking about it for a moment when he got in the elevator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332May 9, 2019 9:33 AM

I liked how at the double date Daniel & Johnny started flirting and Amanda just rolled her eyes and said in amused tones "oh so we're doing this". She's completely unfazed by the fact her husband has a hair-trigger obsession with another man and that's so funny. I could see her being turned on by it actually, since Johnny is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 333May 9, 2019 10:26 PM

I thought Daniel's wife was gonna make a play for Johnny, especially since her marriage is at a low point.

by Anonymousreply 334May 10, 2019 12:31 AM

^😏😁

Courtney Hengeler def has a thing for Zabka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335May 10, 2019 8:32 AM

R334 I would pop if that actually happened in a Season 3 episode.

I wouldn't want them to get it on though. Johnny calling them 'LaRussos' at the restaurant confirms that he sees them as an unassailable unit and credits Amanda as much with helping Robby as Daniel, meaning he wouldn't go there unless very drunk or in a vindictive raging mood. Johnny gently turning her down as I believe he would ups the drama temporarily and long-term seeds a trust & respect between him and Daniel (who will need someone else in his life if his marriage breaks down). If I were HW that's the kind of direction I'd steer.

by Anonymousreply 336May 10, 2019 6:05 PM

Billy is just so attractive doing the most mundane things like walking places or picking up objects. Does he realise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337May 18, 2019 8:13 AM

R297 sure. Tony...whatever you want..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338May 20, 2019 12:44 PM

Ralph was totally getting off on some of those fight scenes in the original Part I movie change my mind.

by Anonymousreply 339May 20, 2019 7:24 PM

I like that Demetri always attempts to run from the Cobras or talk them before confronting them. He’s obviously secure enough in his masculinity to self-protect.

by Anonymousreply 340May 21, 2019 5:55 PM

The scene where Demetri grabs Kreese’s arm to see his tattoo was SO TENSE but also sort of hot? Idk I’ll see myself out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341May 27, 2019 8:01 AM

^😱😱I KNOW. For a second I was like “is Kreese about to rape this kid?!!”

by Anonymousreply 342May 27, 2019 11:47 AM

"Cobra Kai" is the kind of series that makes me wish "Youtube" could figure out a crossover channel cable presence. I feel like the gloom and doom of the death of cable TV is actually an outdated fear because there are things that can be done to both, save cable and grow "Youtube's" attempt at a strong online channel that are not being done.

If they had a cable presence or even some connection with an MTV type channel where they could produce such a series and have a regular pay log-in for 'Youtube" OR a cable code log-in, simultaneously, this could expand their access to advertiser revenue while offering an alternative service for those who pay for the "Youtube" channel.

In this period of "experiences" consumption, I can't understand how channel aren't looking at their schedules from the point of view of shared public events, rather than simply content distribution (since content is now distributed across a whole range of platforms). Cable TV's public goodwill quotient is measured by how much of an event they can make their shows, how many ways they can draw people into a franchise world and connect all the parts.

Disney, as a brand, understands this. I don't know why channels like 'MTV" never caught up or outright rejected the public's need for the hype in addition to the shared viewing. This is a quality program that seems to be succeeding DESPITE being on the "Youtube" red channel, like it's being held back by this. You never want viewers to look at your brand in that way. Youtube needs to find a crossover point to expand their audience.

by Anonymousreply 343May 27, 2019 8:41 PM

Also, Xolo Maridueña has a lot of star power and should be doing more big screen roles. I can even see him as a next generation Indiana Jones.

by Anonymousreply 344May 27, 2019 8:48 PM

I would love that R344

by Anonymousreply 345May 30, 2019 5:57 AM

I'd like to see him sitting on my face.

by Anonymousreply 346May 30, 2019 7:10 AM

R334 Daniel's *wife*? I think you & I watched a completely different show. Daniel is clearly the one in lust with Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 347October 30, 2019 3:50 PM

R337 he’s the type of guy people stare at as he walks by just to admire his ass & thighs. And I’m sure he knows that and enjoys it.

by Anonymousreply 348December 24, 2019 2:21 PM

I hope the dojos merge in Season 3, if you catch my drift.

by Anonymousreply 349December 30, 2019 11:08 AM

Daniel is bound for Okinawa next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350December 30, 2019 8:43 PM

I love how Zabka describes the Johnny/Daniel relationship, like it’s something out of Animal Planet. I’ve heard Macchio describe himself as a ‘deer’ or a ‘China shop’ in comparison to Zabka’s ‘tiger’ & ‘bull’, too. It’s a hot dynamic.

[quote] BZ: Any time Daniel steps into the Cobra Kai dojo, I get a rush, like when he peeked his head in, in the first one, and I was running a class and noticed him in the back and gave him a little smirk. Every time that he’s in there, it’s a little bit like he’s in a lion’s den. There’s something thrilling about that. From the very first time we met in our first audition together for The Karate Kid, when I was auditioning for Johnny and he was already cast as Daniel, and we were going over our lines in the parking lot, it’s been the same. It’s just matured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351December 31, 2019 12:25 PM

I am living for this series. It was just released on Netflix and is #1. I binged season 1 on Sunday. It's pretty amazing. There is some 80's nostalgia, the soundtrack is great and I am here for Johnny. Billy Zabka is hot as fuck! I think it's really well done. I'm really enjoying watching a hard core Gen Xer stuck in a time warp trying to negotiate life with these uber Gen Y kids - seeing the difference is really funny and it's crazy how different just 2 generation apart are. This is how I imagine half of Datalounge only not as cool. Season 2 is not as strong. I would cut the Daniel Laruso plot and focus on the Cobra Kais. Ralph Machios boyish surgery and hairpiece are distracting and he sucks. They just finished filming season 3.

by Anonymousreply 352September 2, 2020 2:53 AM

Why doesn't the search function work?I knew there had been a relatively (within the last few months) thread on Cobra Kai and did't want to get bitched at for starting another thread. Now I just google a topic and add datalounge at the end, which is how I found this.

by Anonymousreply 353September 2, 2020 3:01 AM

It's funny how many people think this is a new series now that it's on Netflix. I guess YouTube didn't promote it that much.

by Anonymousreply 354September 4, 2020 3:28 PM

R352, filming on season 3 actually wrapped last December.

by Anonymousreply 355September 4, 2020 3:30 PM

Yes R354. I wanted to bump the thread b/c many of us are discovering it on Netflix, which is a smart move on their part. I had read a bit about it in 2018, but it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with YouTube subscriptions. This might be one of the best shows I've seen all year. I'm surprised how emotional it made me, especially the season 2 finale. I highly,highly recommend for anyone, but especially old millennials/Gen X. It's an easy 10 x 30 min episodes/season watch. I feel like I could use a Sensai right now to help guide me!

by Anonymousreply 356September 4, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote]It's funny how many people think this is a new series now that it's on Netflix. I guess YouTube didn't promote it that much.

I am on Youtube all the time, and yeah, Youtube did not promote it nearly enough. I still watched it on Youtube Red thanks to my friend recommending it, but I wish Youtube put more of a push behind it. I'm glad Netflix picked up this and Audience Network's "Kingdom". They are both woefully underrated shows that are now getting love thanks to a wider reach.

by Anonymousreply 357September 4, 2020 5:47 PM

The high school brawl during the Season 2 finale was epic.

More like an Asian martial arts flick / opera. The whole series is fun. When does a new season come?

by Anonymousreply 358September 4, 2020 7:04 PM

Sometime in 2021. No set date yet.

by Anonymousreply 359September 4, 2020 7:09 PM

Ralph Macchio wears a hairpiece, no?

by Anonymousreply 360September 5, 2020 7:30 PM

It looks like it R360. I found it kind of distracting but everyone says he looks hot, so I think I'm in the minority. Billy Zapbka just goes without saying.

by Anonymousreply 361September 5, 2020 7:36 PM

Ron Thomas (Bobby) can still get it too.

by Anonymousreply 362September 5, 2020 7:48 PM

That fight scene at the end of season 2 was so OTT.

by Anonymousreply 363September 5, 2020 9:24 PM

The flashbacks at the end when Zabka is on the beach reflecting on highlights if his relationship with Miguel just made me cry. It was very touching. And the sad of Cruel Summer in the background = dead. Did Zabka get nominated for his relationship. He seems to have a lot of love for the character.

by Anonymousreply 364September 6, 2020 3:58 PM

This show could've been a beautiful love story about two mens who were once bitter enemies finding themselves in love with one another after all these years in an uncaring and ununderstanding world.

by Anonymousreply 365September 6, 2020 4:36 PM

Johnny is definitely a top. Daniel is a power bottom.

by Anonymousreply 366September 13, 2020 4:50 AM

I wonder if the actors ever fooled around with each other?

by Anonymousreply 367September 15, 2020 4:40 AM

A bunch of good looking guys practicing karate moves all day shirtless? I'm sure some got wood like a bonsai tree.

by Anonymousreply 368September 15, 2020 12:29 PM

The guy who plays Kreese did pornos.

by Anonymousreply 369September 16, 2020 4:04 PM

William Zabka is hot af

by Anonymousreply 370September 16, 2020 4:30 PM

Links R369?

by Anonymousreply 371September 16, 2020 4:38 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372September 16, 2020 4:49 PM

Cobra Kai really captures the true essence of just how shitty the valley is.

by Anonymousreply 373September 17, 2020 6:01 AM

Terry Silver could be Miguel's father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374September 18, 2020 6:18 PM

I started watching and really enjoying it. It has a nostalgia factor for me and Zabka is way hotter way than he was as a kid. Macchio is still rather asexual to me.

by Anonymousreply 375September 18, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote] Ralph Machios boyish surgery and is distracting and he sucks.

[quote] Ralph Macchio wears a hairpiece, no?

[quote] Macchio is still rather asexual to me.

Yikes, give the guy a break. He’s a good actor who has originated a ton of iconic parts, and he’s always been decent to us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376September 18, 2020 8:49 PM

R375, Zabka hotter now than in 1984? Can't say I agree.

by Anonymousreply 377September 19, 2020 3:43 AM

Somewhat OT, but what happened with Macchio’s marriage in the end?

The story goes he did Dancing With The Stars several years back, started getting too cosy with his female partner, and his wife threatened to divorce him and kick him out (they’ve been married since the ‘80s). Then no more was said about it. It was very below-the-radar and probably boring dirt, but still I’m curious how or whether Ralph and his family got over that rough patch.

Wasn’t his beloved daughter Julia (the spitting image of him, it’s scary) at one point getting into some dark stuff as a teen? It was a short brush with drugs or something, as far as I can recall. Again this was many years ago; by all accounts she’s a dancer & singer in low-rent touring musicals now and doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 378September 19, 2020 12:26 PM

It took almost 30 years for him to get the wandering eye? There must have been women before that. Marisa Tomei maybe? I can't imagine his DWTS partner was his first infidelity.

by Anonymousreply 379September 19, 2020 1:08 PM

R379 personally, I suspect he may have had a short dalliance with Ally Sheedy. They had uncomfortably-intimate chemistry together in the film A GOOD NIGHT TO DIE (2003, with Michael Rapaport).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380September 19, 2020 1:29 PM

January 8th, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381October 3, 2020 4:17 AM

Daniel san better dump his annoying wife and hook up with Johnny.

by Anonymousreply 382October 3, 2020 8:22 AM

R382 word.

And it’s not just us demented group of gay bitches who want it. Going by reviews of the series, Netflix boards, and YouTube comments I’ve read, half of viewers still watching are hoping for the same outcome. It’s the only endgame that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 383October 3, 2020 12:19 PM

Maybe he'll test the waters with Chozen when he goes to Okinawa.

by Anonymousreply 384October 3, 2020 12:48 PM

Johnny x Daniel has been a long time coming. It’s love-at-first-sight shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385October 3, 2020 3:24 PM

The first 7 episodes are incredible.

Love this show.

by Anonymousreply 386December 29, 2020 4:48 AM

Premiere date got pushed up from January 8th to January 1st.

by Anonymousreply 387December 29, 2020 9:55 AM

Who is watching Season 3 today?

by Anonymousreply 388January 1, 2021 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!