Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Miniseries

Excited?

[quote] “Johnny. You, me, this...we’re not done.” Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso aren’t the same people they were in high school— but their rivalry hasn’t changed one bit. The Karate Kid saga continues....

The 10hr comedy-drama miniseries is coming to YouTube Red in just a few weeks, and will have an unexpected twist in the tale of the two characters we know so well-according to Ralph Macchio, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 268Last Tuesday at 1:43 PM

Yes, I will buy and watch.

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2018

Wonder if they’ll fit a gay/lesbian student in at the revamped Cobra Kai dojo.

From the trailer it seems to be a group of all-boys that Johnny is teaching, mostly delinquents and misfits (a kid with a Mohawk, a nerd, a fat kid etc). Didn’t see any preps or jocks a la CL alum like Dutch.

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2018

[quote] Most of the Cobra Kai students were named after members of the crew.

Guess that’s how they ended up with names like Kev, Bob, Tim, Ryan, Caleb, Doug, Trey, Corey & Demitri (per IMDB)..

by Anonymousreply 303/18/2018

Is this series going to be anything like the CARNIVAL Ballet version of KK1?

If so, then I’m in.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2018

Apparently Daniel will have a wife (not Ali or Kumiko) & son and Johnny a girlfriend (again, not Ali or Kumiko) in this new show.

So no gay content there (at least not officially). It will have to be one of the new CK kids, or another new adult character of which there seems to be quite a few.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2018

“The best defence...is more offence.”

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2018

Did Macchio & Zabka ever fuck?

That would have been hot in the late ‘80s. Tbh it would still be hot now.

by Anonymousreply 703/22/2018

The newest extended trailer is #5 trending for the entirety of YT. It has blown up.

They gave Johnny a flipphone and made Daniel a sleazy car dealer. It’s really weird.

by Anonymousreply 803/22/2018

I like that the guys making these trailers knew the target audience would not want to see fuckwit teenagers having Tekken fights and only clicked play for the promise of Daniel & Johnny going at it again like Karate Dads. The chemistry is good enough to sell people on that premise, I think.

There have been five trailers now and none have revealed names of the new kid characters (they’re on IMDB, for the geeky & curious). So far only one new character - the main teen who happens to suspiciously look a little like Daniel - has even had any speaking lines at all. This show will hopefully be light on the always-annoying highschool dramatics, but we shall see.

by Anonymousreply 903/23/2018

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo ridiculously excited for this.

It looks like they've inverted Johnny and Danny's lives, so now Danny is the rich popular jock type (and maybe kind of a dic) and Johnny is the broke outcast loser. So of course now Johnny identifies with the picked on kid who just wants to be able to defend himself.

This could be really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1003/23/2018

There’s definitely more surprise to come, the heel/face inversion is just the start.

I’m getting real ‘Enemy Mine’ vibes from Daniel/Johnny so far, which could go in several different fascinating directions. It’s already so cool that they’ve somehow found one another again after all this time, like it’s fate for them to keep fighting...

Of course YouTube won’t go the gay route with them - they’re chickenshit as every other platform on that score - but I’m holding out hope for a close fierce friendship developing between them once they work out their misunderstanding, maybe a blossoming kinship in Season 2 if they get one. A playful nod or wink later on to possible latent attraction would be fun.

Then again, I also want a soundtrack of retro ‘80s AOR jams for this show and that is obviously not going to happen. So fuck me and my gay dinosaur self, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1103/23/2018

wax on, whack off.

by Anonymousreply 1203/23/2018

So long as they don’t wheel Miyagi’s ghost in for the entr’acte a la Atsumori.

by Anonymousreply 1303/24/2018

Wasn't there reluctant respect between both teenagers at the end of KK ? Johnny realised his mentor was a bad influence and Daniel was witness to that. It's not like they parted ways in hatred.

If Johnny is down on his luck, how can he buy the dojo ?

That said, it will be interesting to see where they take this, with Daniel being smarmy, obnoxious, but vigilent, (even though he seems wrong in his interpretation of Cobra Kai return as a bully's return), and Johnny being down and out but concerned with justice and helping bullied kids.

by Anonymousreply 1403/24/2018

R8 Looks SO GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 1503/24/2018

[quote] Johnny realised his mentor was a bad influence and Daniel was witness to that. It's not like they parted ways in hatred.

This is my only problem with the premise, R14, and you’re right that it’s a glaring one.

They both walked out of that 1983 All Valley on the same side and having redeemed themselves. Johnny handed Daniel his damn trophy, saying “you’re alright, LaRusso”. Ok, that doesn’t make them life partners but it does mean they reconciled and became friendly before they graduated HS. They realised how needlessly brutal Kreese’s Cobra Method was (a realisation Daniel conveniently forgot in Part III, but that’s typical) and how Karate should be used respectfully.

Even if Daniel stopped competing and training altogether after his Japan escapade and the 1985(?) All-Valley (which seems to be the case), it doesn’t mean he had to turn his back on everything Miyagi-do Karate taught him about balance, resilience, tolerance, fair play (well..). Or that he had to cut off all contact with Johnny the minute that they left for College/work. It is weird that they are surprised to find themselves working & living alongside each other in the Valley in the present day, even though they presumably knew one another’s grad plans.

Similarly there is no good reason why Johnny should revert back to the Karate style of his old Sensei I.e. the PTSD-case who publicly assaulted him. Part I showed us that Johnny is a talented martial artist who works hard; in 30 years why couldn’t he have taken up one of the many other Karate styles, or even a combo? Why revisit the very style that derailed your life? From the trailer it seems that Johnny’s Cobra Kai style is a reworked ‘lightsided’ version of what he once knew, but it’s hardly necessary to clear the name of a style that went out of fashion three decades ago.

[quote] If Johnny is down on his luck, how can he buy the Dojo?

I assumed from the trailer that he goes to Daniel’s auto place to ask for a loan, as I couldn’t think of a better reason why humbled disheveled Johnny would shambol in front of Daniel’s associates the way he did. Or perhaps he gets a divorce settled or inheritance money, something like that (didn’t he have a very wealthy family?)

by Anonymousreply 1603/24/2018

Maybe Miyagi left him an inheritance. Hence, all the cars.

by Anonymousreply 1703/24/2018

Not sure what to think of the trailers. Shrug. Karate Kid 3 was soooooo shitty. But I’ll likely watch the first episode anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1803/24/2018

R17 lmao at sleazy 30-something Daniel hawking Miyagi’s car collection like ten minutes after the poor old man’s funeral. You just know that’s what he’d do.

by Anonymousreply 1903/24/2018

But R18, Part III has Terry Silver, and boasts the gayest Karate Kid plotline to date.

At one point a bloody, bruised and sweating Daniel is ten seconds away from getting fucked in the CK dojo during one of his illicit private training sessions with Silver.

by Anonymousreply 2003/24/2018

You’d think Daniel would have learned by now not to step to Johnny Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2018

[quote] I assumed from the trailer that he goes to Daniel’s auto place to ask for a loan, as I couldn’t think of a better reason why humbled disheveled Johnny would shambol in front of Daniel’s associates

R16 I initially figured Johnny wanted to try & sell a beat-up truck or an old bike (?) to Daniel for a handful of pennies so he could turn his water back on. Then I saw how fancy Daniel's showroom was and reconsidered. Seems more like Johnny goes to Daniel to beg for work or, like you say, a loan. And Daniel is having none of what Johnny is bringing...

by Anonymousreply 2203/26/2018

I thought the 80s was over a long time ago, like in the 80s. Most nostalgic remakes are a mess.

by Anonymousreply 2303/26/2018

R23 Whatever, killjoy! Culture is accumulated not pulled out of thin air every five years. Wisdom is gained from experience (which we will be reminded of again, in "Cobra Kai"! )

by Anonymousreply 2403/26/2018

R20 Griffiths & Macchio had off-the-scale sexual tension. They were around the same age at the time.

Of course, the frisson of attraction had to stay unspoken in 1989 but it was obvious to anyone who looked.

by Anonymousreply 2503/26/2018

Fun & entertaining as this looks, had this reunion happened 20 years earlier Macchio & Zabka could have progressed their characters into a fresher & sexier plot.

It would have been cool to have them be like Linda Fiorentino & Anthony Edwards were in GOTCHA!, caught in some sort of European Karate-espionage. They would have had the look down, if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 2603/27/2018

So I guess it’s true that Cobra Kai never die.

by Anonymousreply 2703/28/2018

Johnny is a DILF now.

by Anonymousreply 2803/28/2018

Even my sister, who hates the whole Karate Kid franchise and would never fuck any actor, thinks Zabka is worthy.

Just goes to show; continued training/workouts and following your dreams will bless a man’s looks.

by Anonymousreply 2903/28/2018

Ralph is still quite handsome, too.

by Anonymousreply 3003/29/2018

Can’t believe this isn’t coming out until May. I was going to sit out the Spring rains with Johnny, Daniel and their adopted passel.

by Anonymousreply 3103/30/2018

R30 wasn’t it a red-Sun headband that Miyagi gave Daniel?

by Anonymousreply 3203/30/2018

[quote] Johnny, Daniel and their adopted passel.

R31 how cute would that be! Pandering, a little, but sweet & sexy enough that it wouldn’t matter.

Maybe Daniel realises how unhappy his married life and business is making him, and comes around to Johnny’s way of thinking after Season One. They spend more time together and reach a place of forgiveness, leading to Johnny offering to train Daniel again gratis with a view to him teaching a class of his own at C.K. Daniel is touched and accepts gratefully, and before they know it the two are spending evenings alone together in the now-successful dojo. One thing leads to another and they end up falling for each other within just a few weeks. There’s some angst over their shared past, but again forgiveness comes quicker than either expected and soon their feelings become too strong to just let lie.

Fast forward a year or two; I can just see them cohabiting in a little rickety house next to the new C.K. dojo, with a little Zen/bonsai garden & chimes everywhere. Maybe a cat. Johnny waking up to Daniel making him a breakfast smoothie and then them doing morning Tai Chi together before classes start (which they teach alternately). They have no issue with PDA and like to steal little kisses as they pass one another in the changeovers, which the students whistle at (or retch at, if they are the age for “cooties”). Johnny thinks about adding Daniel’s name to the lease renewal, while Daniel tries to find a way to break the news of his new relationship & change-in-life career to his ageing mother. There is also the matter of the two men ageing themselves, and how they can keep up training & teaching just like Miyagi did.

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2018

So far it’s a team vs. team brawlfest.

by Anonymousreply 3403/31/2018

R33, this is über fanfic, but I like it. Especially the bonzai garden and the chimes.

by Anonymousreply 3503/31/2018

I love R33’s story pitch too, R35. It would be courageous, refreshing and incredibly creative to revive a series like this to explore such topics as fluid sexuality in men, chosen families, communal living & independent business, and ageing. The DL contingent would love a show like this.

The direction Youtube Red has taken seems focussed on the battle element of karate in a way the original films weren’t. The KK stories have always been about relationships (esp. familial), and learning to have character and a personal code of ethics in a world centred on ‘getting mine’. Fighting isn’t a huge part of that world. This new take seems like a videogame or a sports mockumentary, not a KK story.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2018

The first two episodes of Cobra Kai are being screened in 700 theaters across the U.S., alongside screening of the first film.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2018

Kreese cameo or bust.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2018

Mmmmm. Cobra Kai orgy.

Wait, what were we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2018

Johnny’s got an angsty twink son he never sees and is a disappointment to, ooooh.

The kid playing the son is scrumptious, non?

by Anonymousreply 4004/24/2018

Terry Silver was an excellent 80s villain. The ponytail definitely helped.

by Anonymousreply 4104/24/2018

Right on, R41.

So now I’m thinking Sensei Daniel will act as the ‘Silver’ to young Robby Lawrence, much to the chagrin of DILF Sensei Johnny?

by Anonymousreply 4204/24/2018

“Sensei’...really?//I’m right here, man.”

Delicious Daniel x Johnny tension in the CK dojo, as seen in the newest promo. This is the kind of content everybody wants, not irritating snot-nosed sophomores.

by Anonymousreply 4304/24/2018

^^What would their shipname be? Johnniel? Lawrusso?

by Anonymousreply 4404/29/2018

Some people actually want to watch this nostalgic mess. I enjoyed the karate kid movies and that is about it. Nostalgic revamps are never like the originals.

by Anonymousreply 4504/29/2018

It doesn’t seem all that nostalgic, at least not in misty-eyed sense of the word.

This is more of a gimlet-eyed continuation. It seems to be skewering the origin, a little.

by Anonymousreply 4604/30/2018

Where's Mrs. Larusso?

by Anonymousreply 4704/30/2018

[quote] Wonder if they’ll fit a gay/lesbian student in at the revamped Cobra Kai dojo. From the trailer it seems to be a group of all-boys that Johnny is teaching.

There is a big-boned black girl with dyke potential who appears in the dojo trailers, R2.

by Anonymousreply 4804/30/2018

So far, so good. '80s soundtrack and all!

by Anonymousreply 4905/02/2018

So is anybody watching this? I see it's free on my Youtube account! Actually excited to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 5005/02/2018

It's kind of a gyp - YT Red are offering the first two eps free, then after that you have to pay to subscribe to get the rest.

Most of us are just waiting for some hero to p2p or upload a rip online.

by Anonymousreply 5105/03/2018

I am amazed at how good Ralph Macchio still looks. I wanna look that young at 56.

by Anonymousreply 5205/03/2018

I'm pretty sure the first month of YouTube Red is free, and after that you get charged $14.99 a month. I'm just going to watch the 10 episodes of Cobra Kai then cancel my membership. Nothing else on YouTube Red looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5305/03/2018

That's what I'm doing, too, R53.

by Anonymousreply 5405/03/2018

The way they modified that opening sequence from the ending of KK1 was seamless, I'm actually impressed.

Johnny is kinda sexy as a working stiff, with his toolbelt and his beat-up red Pontiac. He still has a nice mop of lovely blond hair and a svelte figure even knocking back Coors every day and apparently hating his life.

Miguel with the braces from across the hall is so earnest. What a sweet boy. He'll obviously become Johnny's charge.

Am I the only one that didn't know Will Smith & the Pickett family helped produce and finance this? I'm guessing either Zabka or Macchio charmed Jada into it at the premiere for that Jackie Chan reboot or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 5505/03/2018

Foreigner's 'Head Games' playing as Johnny drives out drunk and thinks about Daniel...I mean, karate 😏 OTP

And then the mood whiplash when Johnny relives moment Kreese assaulted him all over again 😱😱 then his car gets totalled. Poor poor Johnny and his rotten luck. What did my boy do to deserve this

by Anonymousreply 5605/03/2018

First thing Daniel does on meeting Johnny again is lingeringly hug him, compliment his "golden locks" and bite his lip at him. Then tells Johnny again how great he looks, calls him "tough" with an admiring gaze and refuses to let him leave. "I never remembered calling him pretty" (you totally fucking did, Daniel. And anyway, it's an objective fact).

Then they get all intense and close to each other's faces and Daniel gets to preen while fussing over Johnny's car. Daniel offers Johnny help as he considers him "friends & family" even though Johnny tells him to go screw (he just wants you to forgive him and accept his love, Johnny!) and watching all this unfold my heart shatters like Daniel's patella back in '84.

This is everything I wanted and more.

by Anonymousreply 5705/03/2018

Will Elisabeth Shue make a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 5805/03/2018

Nah, she didn't, but there was a surprise cameo on the last episode. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched yet.

by Anonymousreply 5905/03/2018

Just wanted to add that if you're a fan of the original movie, this series was a blast.

by Anonymousreply 6005/03/2018

lmao, I love that they show Daniel movin' on up from the slums of Reseda to an Encino country club

by Anonymousreply 6105/03/2018

I just finished the first 2 episodes and I'm into it!

by Anonymousreply 6205/03/2018

R59 if it's Terry Silver or Mike Barnes I'll go off while I'm still at work.

by Anonymousreply 6305/03/2018

the blonde bad guy was so sexy

by Anonymousreply 6405/03/2018

Robby (Johnny’s son) reminds me of Shawn Hunter from BOY MEETS WORLD.

by Anonymousreply 6505/04/2018

The only distracting part was Johnny's son's 1995 haircut.

by Anonymousreply 6605/04/2018

This is weird but I love how nasty Johnny was talking in episode 1. Calling kids “pussies” and everyone else “bitch”. He’s hot when he’s pissed off, idk.

Any way DLers in Europe can watch the rest of the series? We don’t get YTRed out here.

by Anonymousreply 6705/04/2018

Just watched the first 2 episodes and absolutely LOVE it!

Miguel is so adorable and it is awesome watching Johnny warm up to him. I love that the original bully is going to be a surrogate father and teacher to the modern outcasts!

[quote]Nah, she didn't, but there was a surprise cameo on the last episode. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't watched yet.

Please let it be Sean Kanan (Mike Barnes) and Yuji Okumoto (Chozen)!

by Anonymousreply 6805/04/2018

I'm hooked.

Just finished episode 6 and each one gets better and better. I can't believe in some scenes I'm actually getting weepy eyed. Like when Johnny gave Miguel his old training outfit or Lip returning with the mohawk.

Oddly, the stuff that is supposed to make me tear up (like Daniel remembering Miyagi, etc...) is kinda falling flat on me.

I haven't binge watched a show like this since Netflix's GLOW.

by Anonymousreply 6905/04/2018

William Zabka is a major DILF and has a fit body.

by Anonymousreply 7005/04/2018

[quote][R59] if it's Terry Silver or Mike Barnes I'll go off while I'm still at work.

[quote]Please let it be Sean Kanan (Mike Barnes) and Yuji Okumoto (Chozen)!

Sorry, it's not any of them at the end.

by Anonymousreply 7105/04/2018

I loved it. On a note more unrelated to the characters, I loved that it stayed very true to form in its portrayal of the often scuzzy Valley, and how much it has changed, and yet in some ways not.

by Anonymousreply 7205/04/2018

It has good reviews, too.

by Anonymousreply 7305/04/2018

[quote] I can't believe in some scenes I'm actually getting weepy eyed. Like when Johnny gave Miguel his old training outfit or Lip returning with the mohawk. Oddly, the stuff that is supposed to make me tear up (like Daniel remembering Miyagi, etc...) is kinda falling flat on me.

Macchio is usually one of the best parts of any production he's in, KK movies included; but not so here. DGMW, he's still appealing & believable reprising his immortal role as Daniel but not as charming as Johnny or the new kids. Ralph doesn't often use his highest gear and I wasn't expecting him to for COBRA KAI, but perhaps it would have elevated him above the material where he's often found languishing.

Idk, it's just weird that Ralph was only kinda-sorta-barely-good-enough here. I wanted more from him, somehow - were my expectations too high for him, or too low for the show and the rest of the cast? Hopefully if there's another season he can find some surprising heretofore-unseen depth in Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 7405/04/2018

[quote] I loved that it stayed very true to form in its portrayal of the often scuzzy Valley, and how much it has changed, and yet in some ways not.

Yeah R72, the setting almost stole the show for me in the first episodes. It's like going back in time, really a head trip that puts you right back into the 80s emotionally. The soundtrack helped with that, too.

by Anonymousreply 7505/04/2018

Anyone remember Martin Kove's nude scene in the 70s movie Women in Revolt?

by Anonymousreply 7605/04/2018

R75, I think this was the best and most realistic portrayal of the Valley I have seen in.. forever? I almost lost it with the Armenian real estate character!

I do like that they didn't sanitize or soften Johnny's rather un-PC character flaws. He's a perfect example of an older dude bewildered by the changing landscape and culture around him.

by Anonymousreply 7705/04/2018

I nearly died laughing when Johnny threw Miguel's inhaler at the wall, then panicked on hearing his cell. Poor dude is a man out of time.

It would be cool to see Daniel & Johnny reminisce over some cool old 80s stuff in season 2. Like maybe Sam & Miguel find an old box in Johnny's attic with a Walkman or some 8-track in it and Daniel takes it to Johnny to geek over it together. Or they could visit an old-timey arcade together during one episode.

by Anonymousreply 7805/04/2018

R78, I liked the scene where Johnny and Daniel were cruising in the car to REO Speedwagon.

I liked the subtle bits of comedy relief throughout - Daniel trying to feed high grade sashimi to his daughter's Asian boyfriend, only to find out the boy hates raw fish.

Daniel to his daughter's boyfriend: "So where are your parents from?"

- "Irvine."

I thought I was going to hate Daniel's wife after the first two episodes, because she seemed like a Real Housewife trying to be the Cool Mom, but then she grew on me afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 7905/04/2018

The karate sequences were way cool.

by Anonymousreply 8005/04/2018

So, when are they integrating R33 plot points ?

by Anonymousreply 8105/04/2018

The series is excellent so far. Totally engaging.

by Anonymousreply 8205/04/2018

R77 It's so refreshing to not see all the rough bits of a character sanded off, without there being a plot reason for it or it being purposeful for character development.

by Anonymousreply 8305/04/2018

R45 It will obviously inspire some nostalgic feelings in some viewers but it's really not that kind of thing. It's a proper sequel at this stage in the characters' story and really good.

by Anonymousreply 8405/04/2018

Zabka never showed this much acting talent in his 80s stuff.

I could see him getting nominated for this along with Maridueña.

The two of them have great chemistry together. Especially when Johnny thinks it is all over due to the mounting bills and then Miguel comes in showing off the new website and having RATT as his ringtone. You could see Johnny beaming with pride. Really great work from the both of them.

by Anonymousreply 8505/04/2018

[quote] I liked the scene where Johnny and Daniel were cruising in the car to REO Speedwagon.

THICK sexual tension. 'Take It on the Run' is officially their song, now.

by Anonymousreply 8605/04/2018

As somebody who grew up Reseda-adjacent, they absolutely nailed it - the liquor stores, the stripmalls, the crappy apartment complexes.

by Anonymousreply 8705/04/2018

[quote] So, when are they integrating [R33] plot points?

Hopefully sooner than later, R81.

Although the cute little karate lovenest can’t be next to the current CK dojo, as it’s in a stripmall. Daniel could easily buy an Encino studio/condo when he gets his divorce and move Johnny right in. Giving darling Miguel his own room, of course.

by Anonymousreply 8805/05/2018

Macchio-Zabka were charming on the Today Show this week. Genuinely sweet men, and handsome to boot.

by Anonymousreply 8905/05/2018

Dimitri is my favorite student so far. The kid playing him pings cacophonously.

He sounds like a DLr with lines like "I would kill both of you just to get [her] to spit in my mouth."

by Anonymousreply 9005/05/2018

They should have made Hawk's character gay.

by Anonymousreply 9105/05/2018

Good news. The show was a hit in the ratings and views for Youtube Red!

by Anonymousreply 9205/05/2018

Here is the first full episode for those who haven't seen it yet.

by Anonymousreply 9305/05/2018

I want to binge the whole thing but can't without paying a tenner and giving YouTube my personal details (we don't get YouTube Red in the UK) which I don't want to do. If I pay for media I like to have a hard copy.

I'm not making much money and I despise everything else that YouTube produces (I think they exploit most of their other creators) so I don't really want to line their pockets, even if only with ten quid. But I like these writers and believe they deserve a payday, and I want to see the rest of this story. Conundrum.

I would buy this on DVD at a reasonable price, though. Guess I'm old fashioned.

by Anonymousreply 9405/05/2018

R86 I live for that moment, the way Johnny kept glancing at Daniel as if daring him to disapprove. Johnny’s always carried a bit of an inferiority complex imo (and an eagerness to please) and Daniel is perfect for him for this reason as he is a wilful type always bucking the bolts. Daniel respects a maverick which is what Johnny has become (quite by accident) while Johnny gravitates toward those that he perceives have more experience or power. What better match than the Jersey urchin made good with too much bravado and the downtrodden Cali preppy? They complete a circle together. This is excellent character-writing.

I see a little erotic tension too, definitely a flicker of something like a friendly mancrush in either direction (and Daniel would have to be blind not to notice Johnny). Interesting that Daniel emphasises to Johnny that he’s a “man” who likes Speedwagon ballads and that is the norm in his world (and why the hell not?).

It’s always great to see healthy male-bonding on current shows, whether between gay or straight characters....but if these two had a gay swerve in a later season? I’d pop so hard that I’d hurt myself.

by Anonymousreply 9505/05/2018

bump

by Anonymousreply 9605/06/2018

I just had my 50 year old Moms watch it. She was a big Daniel-San fan back in the day and she was gripped watching him turn heel, fretting every second that he was "becoming a monster". She really dug seeing Macchio as Daniel again, and all the Easter eggs heartening back to the first movie.

She also begrudgingly admitted the fineassery of Zabka despite her past hatred of "jock preppies". She actually found Johnny Lawrence somewhat sympathetic & funny, so this series is hitting all its marks.

by Anonymousreply 9705/06/2018

I didn't see Daniel as a "heel" at all. There was no malice...he was just a product of cicrumstance. His lowlife cousin's actions, his tormet of being formerly bullied, etc...

by Anonymousreply 9805/06/2018

Yeah, "heel" is too strong of a word now I think about it R98. Really it was just my neurotic Moms looking at it that way, because it was such a shock to her viewing her childhood crush in a different light. I think she just had a hard time at first accepting that Daniel wasn't the broke sadsack young tuff he once was. She got over it by episode 6.

I didn't see Daniel as unsympathetic at all. Actually he was incredibly cordial the first time he met Johnny at his showroom, considering Johnny was a guy who physically assaulted him multiple times in the past. Johnny had residual depression & anger issues from the start and maybe always has, but that was easy for me to connect with as I've undergone the same challenges. CK presents all facets of these men in a believable relatable way, and I have to say that this has really impressed me as well as friends & family.

Can they keep it up for another couple seasons? That is the question.

by Anonymousreply 9905/06/2018

R99 I think the series has longevity because the characters are fleshed out as complex human beings and the story is honest about where they are now, without taking it in the direction of parody. Nothing feels unnatural and intentionally campy about these characters, yet there is honest, relatable humor in the path of their lives because it's real. The connections to the original give you warm fuzzies but the flashback moments are in context and relevant so you can enjoy those moments without them feeling gratuitous.

So far, the quality of storytelling is of a higher caliber than most of what can currently be seen in movie theaters. I hope this means we're entering a new storytelling renaissance in entertainment and Gen X's turn for meaningful reflection and meditation on cultural changes and what lasts or should last the passing of time. Society needs this.

by Anonymousreply 10005/06/2018

Is it me or is there zero chemistry between Macchio and the actress playing his wife? These don’t seem like two people who have ever seen each other naked let alone procreated & built a life together. She seems like his sister or his coworker.

Macchio has a sweet nervous bond with the girl playing his daughter, though. Guess he drew on his own experience for that.

by Anonymousreply 10105/06/2018

Speaking of dalliances in the KK world there isn't much in the way of fan fiction for the characters. Is it too old a franchise, or is it just not a fun sandbox for fan fiction writers to play in? Maybe CK will change the game a little bit and there'll be an influx of sexy Johnny/Daniel & Miguel/Robby stories on ao3 suddenly.

I found this one called 'You're Pretty' by a user named glorybastit on ff.net, that's fairly well-drawn and deals with an angsty clumsy D/s relationship between 18y.o. Johnny & Daniel. The remaining fic on that site are of execrable quality, or het/gen character studies that deal with boring non-sexual dilemma.

by Anonymousreply 10205/06/2018

R101, you hit the nail on the head. Ralph had a very difficult time with his own teenage daughter, so that was all drawing upon personal experience.

by Anonymousreply 10305/06/2018

Will there be a season 2?

by Anonymousreply 10405/07/2018

It hasn't been announced yet, R104, but with all the praise from critics (100% on Rotten Tomatoes) and fans, I'd say there's a good chance of it.

by Anonymousreply 10505/07/2018

I am sure Macchio and Zabka would be all in for a Season 2!

by Anonymousreply 10605/07/2018

John Heald, one of the writers, seems certain there is more to come. But then, he would say that.

[quote] “This show was always intended to run longer than 10 episodes, and remember, all four of the original movies are canon for our universe; let’s just say that anyone that’s either from that world, or fits into it via family tree, is fair game,” says Heald. “And we’ve already had conversations about bringing in some of those other characters.” Could Karate Kid II’s Kumiko (memorably played by Tamlyn Tomita) or her offspring find their way back to the San Fernando Valley?

by Anonymousreply 10705/08/2018

I want Mrs. Larusso, in the vein of Mrs. Blankenship from Mad Men

by Anonymousreply 10805/08/2018

R44 fans dub it ‘Lawrusso’, and also ‘Karate Husbands’ which I like way better.

R102 you’re in luck if that’s what you’re into, as it seems like a new wave of fanfiction is about to swell. Three went up on ao3 yesterday, one of them (below) basically Johnny/Daniel Porn with Plot that was surprisingly erotic and nicely penned. It even has some actual proper characterisation, a rare treat.

There’s probably even more fanfic going up as we speak on Tumblr & Dreamweaver but I’m too scared to jump back down that hole (hah!) even for you, dear sweet R102. Why not write one of your own, too?

by Anonymousreply 10905/08/2018

Absolutely loved it. I am 42, and was a fan of the first two films. The tone was perfect, and it has what all nostalgia shows aspire to, and I can't think of another reboot/many year later sequel that does such a superb job tonally. The useage of the film footage was so seamless, seeming like actual memories the characters would have in the situations. The one of Daniel and his mother at the apt building, all of the Mr. Miyagi (I cried. Pat Morita was so elegant).

The characters are multi-layered, there isn't too much of the kids, enough nostalgia to feed a Mary! like me. There are, of course, some corny moments: I knew the moment I saw Larusso Motors that there would be a "wax on/wax off" situation at some point. and I enjoyed every moment of the scene when it played.

The kids were not awful. Lip/Hawk cracked me up with the tattoo and him telling the store clerk that the youngest was his kid. Miguel wearing the skeleton outfit. I could go on and on, but won't. The REO Speedwagon was the exact right choice.

by Anonymousreply 11005/08/2018

The kids are great so far, although I’m hoping & praying the Sam/Miguel/Robby triangle doesn’t eclipse all the other good stuff that will be happening in the next season.

I’m curious to see what happens with Anthony, Daniel’s lazy porky little spawn. I like his antagonism of Johnny, they’ve met their match in each other for trashtalk. I feel like Anthony is Daniel’s ID.

by Anonymousreply 11105/08/2018

Not usually a fan of "reboots", would much rather see some great original programming being made, but was pleasantly surprised by this. Wound up binge-watching the whole damn thing in one night with the YouTube Red free trial.

Just the right amount of decent new story telling, flashbacks that flow well into the current story, nostalgia, cheesy humor, and great music. It was a lot of fun, and I liked it.

Bring on Season 2!

by Anonymousreply 11205/08/2018

Screw 'Roseanne.' Now this is nostalgia TV worth checking out. I will go as far as to say it's the best TV of 2018 so far.

by Anonymousreply 11305/08/2018

OMG, I LOVED the first episode. I see the second one is free on youtube. What's this youtube red jazz? Do you pay monthly? I don't think there's anything else I'd want to watch with Youtube Red. Any way around it?

by Anonymousreply 11405/08/2018

R114, get the 1 month free trial. Then Just cancel after you watch the entire 10 episodes or before the 1 month is up. That's what I am doing, and how I watched the winter Olympics (through Sling).

by Anonymousreply 11505/08/2018

Oh sweet! Thanks, R115!

by Anonymousreply 11605/08/2018

R114- I did exactly what R115 said. Binge watched all 10 CK episodes for free.

Poked around YouTube Red a little (there is an ad free YouTube music thing included) but couldn't really find any other programming worth justifying the $9.99 per month fee to watch- so far. As long as you cancel before the 30 days is up, though, there's no charge.

by Anonymousreply 11705/09/2018

I love the shoutout to Bananarama.

by Anonymousreply 11805/10/2018

Renewed for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 11905/10/2018

"We aren't done, Larusso"

by Anonymousreply 12005/10/2018

woohoo, R120!

by Anonymousreply 12105/10/2018

This was a very brilliantly executed show, with crossover appeal in that they didn’t try to just target a nostalgic audience. I watched the show with some nephews and nieces and they were totally into it. More for the teenage drama subplots than Daniel vs. Johnny, but oh well, it got them off their phones and they watched.

by Anonymousreply 12205/10/2018

Allie, Mrs. Larusso, the nemesis and love interest from Part 2 should come back for the second season. And have Tony O'Dell come back and give him an actual line to say.

by Anonymousreply 12305/10/2018

[quote] The kid playing him pings cacophonously.

I’m stealing this apt musical phrase. Thanks, R90.

by Anonymousreply 12405/10/2018

I would still love to see an Elisabeth Shue cameo at least.

by Anonymousreply 12505/10/2018

I'd also love to see her cunty Melissa Rivers-looking friend now be an opioid addict panhandling on the corner of Larusso Motors.

by Anonymousreply 12605/11/2018

Hilarious, r126. Maybe she's the homeless woman panhandling in front of the Cobra Kai dojo.. what a plot twist that would be!

by Anonymousreply 12705/11/2018

I know we’re supposed to find it douchey that Johnny is always calling Daniel “Danielle”, “the lady” and other such misogynistic epithets but I think it’s very funny. And somehow weirdly hot.

by Anonymousreply 12805/13/2018

Anyone pick up the Macchio/Zabka Adweek cover?

They both look so good on it. Ralph looks fitter & happier than he has since like ‘86, and Zabka is 😍😍

by Anonymousreply 12905/13/2018

I bingewatched the whole thing. It was excellent and I can't wait for season 2. Everyone involved should give mandatory training to every Hollywood producer on how to do a proper reboot/revival. They even managed to work in the infamous "Daniel is the real villain of the first film" theory and do it really well.

I went full on MARY! at the scene when Daniel visits Mr. Miyagi's grave. Just knowing that he tends to the grave was touching, but his monologue and flashback was really moving. Damn, I wish Pat Morita were alive for this.

by Anonymousreply 13005/13/2018

I loved this show! It should be mandatory viewing for middle school kids. I got a little misty when Lip became Hawk. I like that Johnny is a dick but for good reason. I loved when he said internet bullies are pussies. The whole bullying thing was great and it's a message kids need to hear, it gets better, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13105/13/2018

I loved the sniping between Daniel’s oldschool Italian mom and his wife, whom she is critical of... “Pasta salad in a package?” “Daniel, remember when I would come home after a long day at work and prepare a home-cooked meal?” So true to form...

by Anonymousreply 13205/13/2018

There were lots of great little details: Johnny being stuck in the pop culture of the 80s, Daniel's fuckup cousin, the work pranks on Robbie, Miguel's abuelita being a badass (and first mistaking his workouts for jerking off), Daniel's handling Robbie's injury at the tournament: Medic... MEDIC!, the REO Speedwagon sing-along, that most of Johnny's attempts to be cool with the kids completely fail, and so on.

My only disappointment is they didn't find some way to use the "You're the Best Around" song.

by Anonymousreply 13305/13/2018

I liked the subtle humor. For example, when Johnny and Miguel talk about participating in the all-valley karate tournament, and you hear the occasional crunching sound of Aisha punching each of the students in the face (as ordered by Johnny) in the other room. Johnny attends the tournament's board meeting to get the CK ban lifted, and one of the board members takes a look at him and says, "The Alcoholics Anonymous meeting starts at 8." Then during the meeting, when Johnny makes the case for CK, he talks about how he's helping the kids find confidence, even if "they're losers"; he then corrects himself and describes his students as "unique". When Johnny orders Miguel to windex the glass in the dojo, Miguel asks if there's a specific way he should be scrubbing the glass. It could have been a perfect "wax on, wax off" opportunity, but Johnny replies, "I don't give a shit how you do it." Then lastly, at the tournament, when the smallest CK kid goes into a match with a competitor who's two feet taller than him, Johnny yells at his student, "No Mercy!". As if...

by Anonymousreply 13405/13/2018

r134 yes! A show where the characters are relatable but complicated and Johnny is coming around, but slowly. I have a fucking huge crush on him now and would like him to come around me!

by Anonymousreply 13505/13/2018

The show has also done a good job of making Johnny a complex character without painting his, let's say, "deplorable" habits in a positive light. His students embrace his lessons in a way that boost their confidence, but they also call him on his shit and he learns from them as well. I especially liked the way Miguel defended Aisha's interest in joining and when Johnny tried taunting them with "go on, hit her, women are equal, right?" well she just threw it right back in his face.

I also like that while it's obvious he's taken on a father figure role to make up for his shit relationship with Robbie, he's also not getting an easy redemption arc with Robbie (at least not yet). It's Daniel who is teaching Robbie to accept the fact that his father is an asshole deadbeat to him and to grow from it rather than let it drag him down.

by Anonymousreply 13605/13/2018

Johnny is an actor’s dream to play. Fun on the surface, but deep & damaged underneath.

I like how much Zabka cares about the character.

by Anonymousreply 13705/14/2018

[quote] I liked the subtle humor. For example, when Johnny and Miguel talk about participating in the all-valley karate tournament, and you hear the occasional crunching sound of Aisha punching each of the students in the face (as ordered by Johnny) in the other room.

There’s a miniature gong that sounds when Miguel & Aisha first spar that had me in tears of laugher. It was so unexpected yet so feeble, and lightened what could have been an awkward scene.

My favorite part about the kids so far is the triangular friendship between Aisha, Hawk & Miguel. It makes a lot of sense for them to band together tightly after all they’ve been through at the hands of their cruel classmates. Tbh I think they’ll need each other once Kreese gets a hold of them (or some other pawns...)

I also adore Demetri, and given his conflicted reaction to Eli/Hawk’s win during the All-Valley (“his name is MOSCOWITZ”) I wonder if he feels left behind by his former best friend. It wouldn’t surprise if he turns out to be the gay Cobra with a crush on Hawk (this show is all about diversity, so there’ll have to be one).

by Anonymousreply 13805/15/2018

I loved Johnny trying to goad Daniel into a friendly spar after their drinking session.

“Come on, just one time!” sounded like he was trying to talk Danny into bed rather than a match😏 which ofc I loved. More of this teasing in Season 2 would go down smooth as Daniel’s martinis.

by Anonymousreply 13905/15/2018

Eager for the next season! Bummed I will have to wait until sometime in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 14005/15/2018

Behind-the-scenes moments from Season One....

by Anonymousreply 14105/18/2018

Thanks r141, I shared that with my friend. I just love this show and that they are showing Johnny's side. Really looking forward to season 2.

by Anonymousreply 14205/18/2018

William Zabka is great in this. Ralph too. Almost done binging it.

by Anonymousreply 14305/18/2018

[quote] Johnny is coming around, but slowly. I have a fucking huge crush on him now.

I’m a gold-star of nearly 30 years and I spent the entirety of episode 4 salivating over Zabka in a tight tee.

by Anonymousreply 14405/19/2018

HIs voice r144, it's his voice that's killing me. So sexy.

by Anonymousreply 14505/19/2018

I haven't hit on another show that explains the differences between Gen X and the younger generations in terms of dealing with bullying and life in general.

by Anonymousreply 14605/21/2018

It’s an excellent show to explore the Gen X/Gen Z relationship, and so far so good.

Interesting though that COBRA KAI has no Millennial (aged early 20s to early 30s) speaking roles at all. Wonder why that is. There are a handful of background characters or bystanders of ostensible Millennial age (Robby’s roomies, the basketball bros Johnny tries to recruit and the yoga/jogging chicks he hits on) but no foreground character with a name or any relevance to the plot. Unless Anoush (Daniel’s competent underling at the dealership) is several years younger than I think he is, or Robby’s mother is...

This is why Season 2/3 calls for the intro of a sexy 28 year-old dude to the cast, it doesn’t matter for what. Maybe he could be an All-Valley official, or a protégé of a returning Mike Barnes, or even a relative of Kumiko or Ali (like a young cousin or nephew). We just need a hottie representing the missing Gen.

by Anonymousreply 14705/22/2018

For Season 2, They should make the bad Japanese rival from Part II, Soto I think his name was, open a bunch of rival car dealerships. And Lucille and Kreese should start dating.

by Anonymousreply 14805/22/2018

But there’s already a rival car dealer in Tom Cole...

by Anonymousreply 14905/22/2018

Daniel's deadbeat Jersey cousin cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 15005/22/2018

Robby needs a foxy older half-brother who looks just like Johnny did in the 80s/90s.

You just know that a college-aged Johnny Lawrence was fucking every girl in Encino back then.

by Anonymousreply 15105/23/2018

SPOILER ALERT:

Online commenters are calling the Kreese appearance at the end a PTSD hallucination on Johnny’s part. Could that be? It would be a cool swerve but seems a little farfetched for this show. Then again, we did get flashbacks galore and the disembodied voice of Miyagi, so who knows what will happen next season.

by Anonymousreply 15205/24/2018

I hope it wasn't. Seemed a waste to kill Kreese

by Anonymousreply 15305/24/2018

R150 Agreed, he's perfect in his role. So many great details to this show, it's just so well done and the acting is fantastic, all around. And in the last episode of this first season, both Johnny and Daniel are staring at the Myagi warned "imbalance" in their lives, how not knowing when something has gone too extreme, you've gone too far and let anger rule you and not the other way around, throws everything off kilter and results in bad consequences. Timely and relevant for our society.

Everything about this show is great. It really is the best small screen stuff I've seen in ages (and beating most big screen stuff, by a long shot.) I bet martial arts studios even see an uptick in new students from it. I feel like so many people today would benefit from this sort of training.

by Anonymousreply 15405/24/2018

And this is going to sound goofy but even the aesthetic of the studios was appealing. When Daniel cleans out his garage and turns it back into his Japonisme training space my mind immediately said: "Oooo. I want that".

by Anonymousreply 15505/24/2018
by Anonymousreply 15605/24/2018

The next season should add an Easter egg referencing the cutscene where Johnny gives Daniel a “death certificate”. To this day I can’t decide if it was intimidating and sexy or just campy hilarity.

by Anonymousreply 15705/26/2018

How does Macchio look so young? Is it the baby face that's fooling my eyes? And I'm hot for Zabka.

by Anonymousreply 15805/26/2018

Something I realized from this series is how good both Macchio and Zabka are as actors. I've just taken it for granted that the original "Karate Kid" films they were in were good largely because they're so good. Zabka's timing in his scenes is perfect. None of it feels unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 15905/26/2018

[quote]How does Macchio look so young? Is it the baby face that's fooling my eyes

It's the baby face. He looks like a kid in an adult body. It's so weird.

[quote]Online commenters are calling the Kreese appearance at the end a PTSD hallucination on Johnny’s part. Could that be?

I don't think so. Johnny has come far to prove that he's not as bad as Kreese so him hallucinating Kreese as if he's the devil on Johnny's shoulder seems regressive.

Martin Kove is confirmed for season two so we'll find out.

by Anonymousreply 16005/26/2018

I'm sure Lizzy Shue is available. Her character could get divorced, relocate to LA, get together with Johnny. Have Daniel get jealous, cause tension with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 16105/26/2018

How is Amanda gonna get jealous? She already knows her husband is in love with this guy.

by Anonymousreply 16205/27/2018

Zabka discusses his take on Johnny's perspective:

by Anonymousreply 16305/28/2018

^^the comments there have to be making Zabka feel pretty damn good.

It’s all variations on 🔥❤️❤️😍😍 and “wow he’s actually a good actor give him his own movie”. Good for BZ, I say. He’s a sweetheart and a hard worker and it about time he got his dues.

by Anonymousreply 16405/29/2018

What is Kai shall never die.

by Anonymousreply 16505/30/2018

He looks like he throws a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 16605/30/2018

[quote] Johnny has come far to prove that he's not as bad as Kreese so him hallucinating Kreese as if he's the devil on Johnny's shoulder seems regressive.

Right. Also, half the audience and Daniel know from Part III that Kreese faked his death. Johnny just didn’t get the memo.

I really want to see how Silver takes to this new Johnny Lawrence, and if he’ll try to seduce one of his students.

by Anonymousreply 16705/31/2018

SPOILER ALERT R167!!

by Anonymousreply 16805/31/2018

Very sorry, R168. It is a little odd not to have at least seen a couple of the original KK movies before sitting down to COBRA KAI, though. I’m not suggesting watch the Hilary Swank one or the Jayden Smith reboot or the cartoon series, but maybe a rewatch of Part I followed by either Part II or III would be beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 16906/01/2018

That's okay. I've seen I and II a hundred times. I just assumed III was awful and never got around to renting it. Plus it's not something that's shown on cable often.

by Anonymousreply 17006/01/2018

[quote] I just assumed III was awful and never got around to renting it. Plus it's not something that's shown on cable often.

That’s a fair comment, Part III is awful and it’s only ever shown late-nights as part of marathons or on kids’ channels.

Worth mentioning though that’s it gloriously awful, in the campy way DL loves. It’s actually my secret favorite of the KK canon because it’s so lurid and accidentally exposes the whole premise as fundamentally flawed. Its like a Treehouse Of Horror episode with how seedy and sad the plot is; in 80 minutes runtime Daniel-san literally breaks up with Miyagi, gets assaulted by a Karate Terminator and then gets seduced and darksided by a billionaire. It’s gleefully fascinating in the way all earnest fuck-ups are. They’ll talk about it in the same breath as BABY JANE? one day, I’m sure of it.

I understand your gunshy feelings and you shouldn’t go out of your way to see it. But if it comes on TV, watch it.

by Anonymousreply 17106/01/2018

This series is really good. I'm watching for a second time.

by Anonymousreply 17206/01/2018

Sean Kanan was so thirsty to get in on this.

Not that anyone can blame him. It's great writing with great ratings, a good payday, the chance to feel up Zabka..

by Anonymousreply 17306/04/2018

I’m kind of leery about the whole Mike Barnes thing, as much as I like Sean and I (secretly) liked KK Part III.

I don’t know what he could add beside a very minor peril for a couple episodes. There’s every chance that 70 year-old Kreese (who has been in hiding and losing his mind) doesn’t remember him, and it’s confirmed that Johnny doesn’t even know who he is. Daniel probably never mentioned Mike to his family or anyone else for that matter, and as Miyagi is dead that only leaves Daniel who knows the man at all. Is Mike really just going to walk back into Encino to shake Danny’s hand and say sorry? Or start shit with Johnny - a total stranger to him - on Kreese’s say-so? I just don’t get it.

It makes more sense to bring Ali back. She at least have ties to other characters and is known to some.

by Anonymousreply 17406/04/2018

It's not like Elisabeth Shue's career is exploding right now. She might as well come back for a few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 17506/04/2018

No, bring back Julie-san!

Swank needs the boost more, and she's cooler as a character and an actor anyway. Plus, Daniel & Johnny have not ever met her to our knowledge, which makes for a mysterious and thrilling possibility for the meet cute.

by Anonymousreply 17606/04/2018

Swank doesn't need to be stinking up the screen with her mug.

by Anonymousreply 17706/04/2018

R177 = Annette Bening!

by Anonymousreply 17806/04/2018

Season 2 should have a theme song sung by Peter Cetera.

by Anonymousreply 17906/04/2018

Or Bananarama, R179

by Anonymousreply 18006/04/2018

Or Joe Esposito.

by Anonymousreply 18106/04/2018

Hopefully Amanda wakes up and smells the espresso next season, and hooks up with a young hot client at the dealership or some toyboy at the Country Club. Cuz DH is crazy over Johnny Lawrence, in more ways than one.

Also, anyone else get incestuous vibes from Robby/Shannon? Stg they were flirting in their first shared scene.

by Anonymousreply 18206/05/2018

Did Elisabeth Shue's character end up being skanky?

by Anonymousreply 18306/05/2018

We all know that William Zabka is a major DILF and a great actor. But did you guys know he is an Academy Award Nominee?

by Anonymousreply 18406/05/2018

Big deal. It's not like he was on a long running sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 18506/05/2018

R183 the second movie tells us Ali Mills did dump both Johnny & Daniel for a hot College football player in Senior Year (she ditched Daniel at Prom, legendarily). Her history after that is unknown up until the present day/'Cobra Kai' where we discover she has become a paediatrician and married a rugged Doctor hottie. She wins, basically.

by Anonymousreply 18606/05/2018

It's still so wild how Joyce Hyser in 'Just One of the Guys' looks exactly like Ralph Macchio in KK.

If you squint, that shower scene with Hyser & Zabka looks like one between Daniel LaRusso & Johnny Lawrence..

by Anonymousreply 18706/06/2018

The Macchio/Zabka relationship is just the best. Hope season 2 goes in hard on that.

[quote] Fans of “The Karate Kid” might be shocked to learn that Ralph Macchio, who played bullied new kid Daniel LaRusso in the 1984 classic, is real-life pals with William Zabka, his on-screen nemesis Johnny Lawrence. Zabka tells The Post: “I don’t want to tell you what we’re like off-camera because it would spoil the fun, really. When we went to film this thing in Atlanta, we got there and went grocery shopping together....I’m asking if he needs his egg whites and he’s asking if I need my grapes. We’re like ‘The Odd Couple.’” This might not even be the end of their on-screen pairing: Zabka recalls him and Macchio getting lost while driving back to their apartments one night after filming. From the passenger seat, Zabka acted as Macchio’s navigator as he tried to decipher the GPS. “We laughed and said, ‘If this had a GoPro and a microphone, this would be a great reality show!’”

by Anonymousreply 18806/06/2018

Fuck the reality show, DL wants to see the sex tape.

by Anonymousreply 18906/07/2018

R189 I assume they had a sex type thing going at one point. Intensity like that has to go somewhere. They'd look very good together, actually - well, as good as two careworn former-pretty-boy actors can look.

And this really doesn't sound suspect at all, coming from a good Xtian boy who didn't marry until his '40s.

[quote] Zabka: “I don’t want to tell you what we’re like off-camera because it would spoil the fun.

by Anonymousreply 19006/07/2018

He he, we might get our chimes in the garden subplot at R33, yet !

by Anonymousreply 19106/07/2018

Just finished it. Phenomenal. Couldn’t be happier that it was as great as it was. Was a huge KK fan as a kid and had a huge crush on RM but Zabka and Johnny owned this. The teenage boys were SO much less interesting than the adults.

by Anonymousreply 19206/07/2018

Psyched for season 2 but disappointed to see that Elisabeth Shue signed on to an Amazon series. Cold.

by Anonymousreply 19306/07/2018

Who says they'll be shooting at the same time, R193?

by Anonymousreply 19406/07/2018

Ali was so spunky, fun and pretty in the original movie. I feel like she wouldn't be that anymore brought into COBRA KAI, even with Lizzy playing her.

by Anonymousreply 19506/11/2018

The show is better just focused on Daniel & Johnny's relationship. No need for Freddie, Ali, Dutch and every other side character to pop back up.

by Anonymousreply 19606/11/2018

There's no room for Ali. Daniel's married. And it's unlikely a doctor would be interested in a guy like Johnny; she'd probably still think he's a jerk. (He kind of is.) Unless...she got divorced, moved back to her hometown, and her kid signs up for karate lessons at Kobra Kai. She goes to pick him up after his lesson and is surprised that his teacher is her high school sweetheart.

However, I kind of liked the chemistry between Johnny and his protege's mother. She treated him like a human being and it made him want to act like a decent person; he rushed home and began cleaning his apartment.

by Anonymousreply 19706/11/2018

Didn't Ali marry a dweeb? He's probably not throwing down in the bedroom. Ali remembers what a mean fuck Johnny threw, bringing her to the edge of ecstasy every time creating enough moisture to fill Clear Lake. She hops on a plane, heads straight for The Valley and coincidentally rents an apartment on Hortense Street in Studio City. She becomes a rice queen when Chozen cums to town and can't get enough of his sticky rice. Johnny becomes enraged. With the enemy of his enemy, Daniel and Chozen team up to bring Johnny down.

by Anonymousreply 19806/11/2018

Can we discuss the hotness of Xolo? One more year til he is legal.

by Anonymousreply 19906/11/2018

R199 Tanner Buchanan is cuter, and already legal. Plus his name is such a pleasing rhyme.

by Anonymousreply 20006/12/2018

Aw, Tanner is really adorable. I love that crooked pout and that warm healthy blush, it’s very sexy. He’s got pretty eyes and hair too, all shiny and sparkly.

Xolo is a nice-looking kid and I like his intensity, but I get why all the little girls watching CK with their daddies secretly thirst after Tanner.

by Anonymousreply 20106/12/2018

Tanner needs to get rid of the 1995 hair on the show.

by Anonymousreply 20206/12/2018

Online critics are calling for an Emmy nom for Zabka. Go, BZ!

by Anonymousreply 20306/13/2018

Just me, or does Daniel have a little more sugar in his tank this time around?

Sure, he has a hot wife and a passel of children now. But something still isn't right with that picture...

by Anonymousreply 20406/14/2018

There’s a theory going around that some of the parentage among the teens is shady. Reddit commenters believe that Mike Barnes could be Miguel’s real dad, and I have read blog comments wondering whether Robby’s resemblance to Terry Silver plus Shannon’s promiscuity casts Johnny’s fatherhood into doubt...

by Anonymousreply 20506/18/2018

I hope it doesn't get all soap opera-y with those theories. It's just fine the way it is now.

by Anonymousreply 20606/19/2018

R206 the show already is soap operish, even Ralph Macchio called it a "karate soap opera"

by Anonymousreply 20706/19/2018

Daniel is Alexis Colby, Johnny is Sable.

by Anonymousreply 20806/19/2018

I adore Billy Zabka but he ought to stop wearing inept jeans with a cheap-seeming, ill-fitting maitre-D jacket. He's too sexy and fit to wear such awful clothes in such an awful way. He looks like a British tv host.

Or, as he's Italian and should know better, Macchio should step up and stop letting his man go out attired thus.

by Anonymousreply 20906/20/2018

"For Your Consideration...."

by Anonymousreply 21006/22/2018

Jon Hurwitz, one of the main creators and writers, talks Season 2 with Sarah O’Connell:

by Anonymousreply 21106/22/2018

COBRA KAI just got a Kid's Choice Award. And right on time for the official anniversary of KK.

[quote] @jonhurwitz Happy 34th Anniversary, @ralphmacchio and @WilliamZabka! #lovebirds

by Anonymousreply 21206/23/2018

Johnny & Jess!

by Anonymousreply 21306/24/2018

^^Robyn is so much cooler than her sister. I hope she had a few cheeky drinks with Billy that day.

by Anonymousreply 21406/24/2018

R189 in joint interviews Zabka always manages to find a way to touch Macchio, whether over the heart or on the nape (or both, as below).

Their body language is very affectionate, I see why Hurwitz calls them 'lovebirds'. Even their feet often orient towards each other (big tell, our feet will often 'give us away'). The coming seasons need to play off of that and channel it into energy for their scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 21506/26/2018

I hope the show gets nominated for some Emmys

by Anonymousreply 21606/26/2018

You can still vote in the Teen Choice Awards '18 for COBRA KAI, in the category 'Choice Summer TV Show'. It is up against several shows I have never heard of, such as Beat Shazam (?) and Marvel's Cloak & Dagger, as well as So You Think You Can Dance? which I had no idea was even still on the air. You have 10 votes per day to use.

You can (and should) also vote for Xolo in the category 'Choice Summer TV Star'.

by Anonymousreply 21706/26/2018

Billy says that he & Ralph already had planned to work together on some mysterious production before COBRA KAI was on their radar. I’m desperate to know what that was, and I hope they go back to it.

[quote] “We actually had a project where we were starting right around the time the [Cobra Kai creators] came to meet us,“ he explained. “We had something brewing, and we felt like there was something out there, for the two of us together.”

by Anonymousreply 21806/29/2018

its very !!! good.

highly recommend..... the blonde stud who is Ralph's buddy/ mr zebka?/ is soo hot. I hope he has some gay action in it....stud.

by Anonymousreply 21906/29/2018

Best new show of the year. very funny and …. smart.

by Anonymousreply 22006/29/2018

R189 you’re in good company, apparently; the fine ladies over at Archive Of Our Own have written nearly 50 steamy tales on the subject of Daniel & Johnny tenderly fucking, and this show only got released 8 weeks ago.

In their defense, ‘strike first, strike hard, no mercy’ really does sound like Sean Cody tagline. I challenge any one of you dolls to find a pornalike for Zabka & Macchio (then or now) going at it.

by Anonymousreply 22106/29/2018

I hope this doesn't become like Empire and peter out in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 22206/29/2018

I want to know how big William Zabka’s Cobra is.

by Anonymousreply 22307/03/2018

Someone save Xolo from the Fraulein!

by Anonymousreply 22407/03/2018

[quote] Hopefully Amanda wakes up and smells the espresso next season, and hooks up with a young hot client at the dealership or some toyboy at the Country Club. Cuz DH is crazy over Johnny Lawrence.

R182 Amanda keeps making gay jokes about Daniel. I counted 3 quips on my last (3rd) rewatch of the series.

She's no fool and definitely in the relationship for the beautiful house and the auto franchise, the eternally-youthful genes for her kids, and the man who absorbs a glorious amount of abuse. That's a tempting package deal for any woman.

by Anonymousreply 22507/03/2018

^^Amanda is hilarious. I wanted more scenes with her in S1, and with Lucille (Daniel’s Mom).

by Anonymousreply 22607/04/2018

I’m gonna need Johnny to beat the shit out of Mike Barnes when he appears.

by Anonymousreply 22707/07/2018

R222 I think the chemistry of the cast is too good for this to ever become uninteresting, even if it ever hits some plot walls on occasion. The characters are interesting enough. The first episode was pretty much a character study of Johnny Lawrence and it was totally engaging. I feel like the only thing that could mess it up is if they all start second guessing themselves and not trusting their instincts, overthink it and try "fixing" what isn't broken.

But little, subtle things about this series stick out for me and I'm already committed to the next season. Even the little smirk Johnny gives as Danny pulls away tells you so much about the story and the character. It's almost like Johnny has developed an affection, a fondness for their rivalry: Like the rivalry itself is an old friend and you see Danny subconsciously become invigorated by it, too.

They share a naturally competitive tendency and the old adage of clashing the most with people most like you (because it then becomes like a a challenge, like a battle between two equals for one role, one place) is even more true with very competitive people. Johnny is invigorated by the challenge and it helps to pull him out of his depression because ultimately, it's about his being true to who he really is at his core.

by Anonymousreply 22807/08/2018

Bring Tamlyn Tomita back for Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 22907/08/2018

... Especially since Elisabeth Shue is being a lame bitch.

by Anonymousreply 23007/08/2018

Looks like neither Ali nor Kumiko will be necessary returns in upcoming seasons; as of a recent update, The Karate Kid Wiki now lists Johnny Lawrence's 'love interests' in chronological order as: Ali Mills; Daniel Larusso.

….spoiler alert? Guess all that cute fanservice malarkey in Episode 9 had a point after all.

by Anonymousreply 23107/08/2018

Did JOhnny ever taste Daniel's Italian sausage?

by Anonymousreply 23207/08/2018

^^If any glans were being drained at all, can't imagine Zabka was the one sucking and-a swallowing.

by Anonymousreply 23307/09/2018

The teen fans of this show are shipping Xolo with Hannah Kepple, the girl who plays Moon. It’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 23407/11/2018

Will Zabka get an Emmy nomination?

by Anonymousreply 23507/11/2018

^^That Dragon Show and Winona Things robbed our King Cobra.

There's always next year.

by Anonymousreply 23607/13/2018

I’ll shriek gleefully if they give former porn legend Kove a fucking Emmy next Summer.

by Anonymousreply 23707/13/2018

I love Shue ("don't FUCK with the Babysitter!" and THAT flicky blowout!) and Ali was iconic, but I still don't really get what Johnny ever wanted with her in THE KARATE KID and why he still pines after her in COBRA KAI (seen in his sit-down flashback conversation with Miguel, where he explains his headband origin).

If J. was really an "Ace delinquent" then surely he'd have his pick of girls and would choose one with more of a tuff attitude - I'm thinking one who looks and acts like Billie Jean in THE LEGEND OF...., or a MG like the one James Spader dates in PRETTY IN PINK. Ali always seemed too lowkey and chilled out for him. Yeah, he was trying to "make it all work" back in '84 and Ali was a "good girl" and a conscientious type; but what did they have in common besides a strong GPA, blonde locks & a tan, and family money? Perhaps it was all just for show, as in COBRA KAI Johnny shows attraction toward Carmen Diaz who is decidedly nothing like his HS flame and later on seeing Ali's FB profile & pic he snorts "ugh, what a downgrade" (which, fucking rude tbh).

All of this to say that it doesn't surprise me that female fans of this show and these movies prefer to pair Johnny with Daniel (who show a strong attraction) than with any of the fairly-incompatible female characters. Ali is a kick, though. I do want to see her back for a cameo or even a spotlight episode.

by Anonymousreply 23807/17/2018

R129 those AdWeek shots were taken at a real dojo, the massive Seido Honbu 23rd St. in NYC.

The photog Axel Dupeux did a superb job making two normal 50-something dads look like cool & credible leads.

by Anonymousreply 23907/27/2018

I finally signed up for my free month of YouTube R d and just binged this I one day. I used to watch the original KK movie almost every week with my dad when I was younger so I had very high expectations - and I wasn’t disappointed.

I show really managed to capture the nostalgia aspect while not making the common mistake of just feeling like it was retreading the same ground.

The only week link I thought was Robbie. I didn’t feel like he ‘earned’ his character arc and it seems like we were just supposed to warm to him because he has pouty lips. I thought the kid who played Miguel was excellent though.

by Anonymousreply 24007/28/2018

Zabka & Macchio are both so good with little kids. They look like hopeful foster-parents (season 6 idea?).

by Anonymousreply 24107/29/2018

YouTube execs are in talks to extend Season 2 over the customary 10 episodes, and cast more characters.

It's been revealed that Marty Kove's Kreese won't appear in every episode of the upcoming season, either.

by Anonymousreply 24207/29/2018

How is Zabka so handsome even in candids? And why do him & Macchio have matching phones?

by Anonymousreply 24307/30/2018

Damn, I don't usually like blonds and never crushed on Zabka back then but he's really hot now!

by Anonymousreply 24407/30/2018

He is more interesting as an older man, like fine wine. Raph also aged well

by Anonymousreply 24507/31/2018

Mary Mouser is open to lesbian experiences, right?

by Anonymousreply 24607/31/2018

Maybe I'm projecting but; does Julia Macchio have a little crush on Billy? She's 26 now, and her Dad and Billy reconnected about 12 years ago so she's known him since she was 14. That's a tender age to meet Zabka.

It would be a trip to see her in COBRA KAI. Nepotism does suck, but as Julia is already an actress with credits and a SAG card it wouldn't be that egregious. She looks the spit of Ralph so she'd have to be a new LaRusso, though.

by Anonymousreply 24708/01/2018

The composers Leo Birenberg & Zach Robinson did a killer job of integrating the score for the original movie into a fresh setting.

They also totally seem like a gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 24808/05/2018

Season Two is scheduled to start filming in 8 weeks and they're still writing it.

by Anonymousreply 24908/05/2018

If any of the original 'girls' come back, I hope for Robyn Lively.

Jessica was fun and down-to-Earth unlike serious Kumiko and hothead Ali. She knew enough to laugh off Daniel's awkward courtship and tell him to knock off the karate bullshit before he got himself maimed, unlike the aforementioned. She'd have great chemistry with Johnny and his straight-shooting.

by Anonymousreply 25008/07/2018

Half the people probably never even saw Part III, don't remember it, or hate it so it'd be foolish to bring her back. Most fans would probably want Ali.

by Anonymousreply 25108/07/2018

Courtney Henggeler, who plays Amanda LaRusso, just gave this statement on Season 2 that has me shook.

[quote] “I think Amanda will meet some challenges now that Daniel’s focus is shifting back into the world of Karate,” Courtney said. “They both created this wildly successful business together. But what happens now that Daniel has other aspirations? I also have a secret desire for Amanda to get involved with Johnny. But that’s more based on the 11-year-old Courtney who lives inside of me.”

by Anonymousreply 25208/10/2018

I imagine Henggeler is popular with babydykes watching...

by Anonymousreply 25308/15/2018

[quote]It's still so wild how Joyce Hyser in 'Just One of the Guys' looks exactly like Ralph Macchio in KK.

R187 I think it was intentional. Sherilyn Fenn remarks that s/he looks like the Karate Kid and develops a crush on her... er, 'him.'

It's too bad the show didn't get any Emmy nods besides 'stunts' or some bullshit like that. Then again, many of the nominations were very questionable this year. They really need to restructure.

by Anonymousreply 25408/15/2018

[quote]It's still so wild how Joyce Hyser in 'Just One of the Guys' looks exactly like Ralph Macchio in KK.

R187 I think it was intentional. Sherilyn Fenn remarks that Terri looks like the Karate Kid and develops a crush on her... er, 'him.'

It's too bad the show didn't get any Emmy nods besides 'stunts' or some bullshit like that. Then again, a lot of the nominations were questionable. They really need to restructure.

by Anonymousreply 25508/15/2018

So when is Season 2 coming out? Not sure how I'll watch it though - I canceled Youtube Red as soon as I finished watching the first season.

by Anonymousreply 25602/23/2019

Season 2 trailers are here, and the first episodes of the year are about to drop.

Thoughts? I'm thinking Zakba looks leaner and meaner than last time, and little Tanner has obviously hit the gym.

by Anonymousreply 25703/14/2019

New interview with E! Canada. Apparently it's gonna be a Dojo vs. Dojo arc this time around.

Ralph reveals he wasn't invited to the Westwood premiere of KK1 that the Cobras got screened. Serious kayfabe. .

by Anonymousreply 25803/15/2019

The next season already looks so good. This is such a well made show.

by Anonymousreply 25903/15/2019

I feel like Kreese will be the breakout dark horse character of this new season.

And I’m gonna need to see Terry Silver (as played by T.Griffith, accept no substitute).

by Anonymousreply 26003/16/2019

William Zabka has got to be the hottest 50 something straight guy. He's handsome, fit, and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 26103/16/2019

I’m still hoping they make the Demetri, Bert and/or Aisha characters gay. There should be a little representation on the CK side.

From the trailer it looks like Hawk will be straight, in the mold of the O.G. CK guys who would catcall girls and hook up a lot.

by Anonymousreply 26203/18/2019

^^Hawk is definitely very into girls, but I still hold out hope for a gay!Demetri and maybe Hawk/Demetri even if it's only one-sided or just hinted at a little so the fanshipper tweens have something to work with. I get the original point of showing them as false friends (that sometimes it is not our enemies but our friends who hurt us and hold us back) but there's no reason they can't reconcile or change their relationship. It's predictable to make them foils.

by Anonymousreply 26303/18/2019

So is Kreese real, or is he a figment of Johnny's imagination? He was supposed to have died according to one of the later KK movies.

by Anonymousreply 26403/18/2019

I'm actually going to get Youtube Red for the time it takes to watch this next season, the show is that good.

by Anonymousreply 26503/18/2019

R264 Have you seen Season 1, yet? How and why Kreese reemerges is going to be covered in this next season.

by Anonymousreply 26603/18/2019

R264, yes, i binged the entire season over two days. I loved the surprise ending with Kreese.

by Anonymousreply 267Last Tuesday at 6:21 AM

R264 Kreese's fate was revealed in KK Pt.III, but that's covered upthread already and it's kind of a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 268Last Tuesday at 1:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!