Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbra's big transformation scene from 'The Mirror Has Two Faces'

Is this the funniest movie moment of all times or what? I know the audience is suppose to go "WOW" by seeing how beautiful she has suddenly become but that silly pose (which has obviously been rehearsed to death) and the self-satisfied smirk on her face make me laugh everytime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 27, 2018 8:51 AM

If that is true, OP, you must lead a sad a lonely existence. The film came out 25 years ago and you are still talking about it? SAD.

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2018 9:01 PM

I mean, she does look great...

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2018 9:03 PM

The thing that made me laugh was that Barbra the Director shot that to show how gorgeous Barbra the Star was.

It was like when Barbra the Director had Barbra the Star look in a reflection to see beautiful she was in The Prince of Tides.

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2018 9:06 PM

for a dude.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2018 9:06 PM

Yes, that was funny, wasn't it R3? *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2018 9:07 PM

I think the audience is supposed to say WOWZA! lmao. This is funny. It's totally ridiculous. You are right OP.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2018 9:12 PM

I honestly don't remember if I've seen Mirror.

Doesn't every Babs movie have a "I suddenly look wonderful" moment?

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2018 9:19 PM

Jennifer Aniston has the EXACT same look on her face when she strolls through the apartment naked in front of Vince Vaughn in The Breakup. So ridiculous! Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2018 9:21 PM

I think it's cute. C'mon, not everyone is a perfect ten. Far from it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2018 9:25 PM

Funny, because the movie theater I was at, there were whistles and cheers when this scene was played. One guy even went "Owwww!" which elicited some laughs.

She should have been nominated for Best Director for this.

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2018 9:32 PM

When I saw this in the theater, a guy a few rows away cried, "Giiiiiirl! I just went straight! Mmmm!"

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2018 9:49 PM

This movie was so bad the details aren't worth discussing.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2018 10:24 PM

There were many, many worse films that came out that year.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2018 10:35 PM

[quote] She should have been nominated for Best Director for this.

Please tell me you're kidding. Some amazing movies came out in 1996 (like "La Promesse", which is one of the greatest films ever made) and you think Babula deserved a BD nomination for this?! You better start watching some real movies, hon.

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2018 10:40 PM

R14, clearly you are motivated by a dislike for Streisand which make all of your comments here moot.

by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2018 10:42 PM

R15 Nope, I'm motivated by my good taste in movies.

C'mon, it's obvious that Babula's film career was largely a failure, thanks to her gigantic ego. She's been in the biz for more than 50 years and "Funny Girl" remains the only good film she's ever done.

I know that some people have nostalgic memories of some of her other movies (like that godawful "A Star is Born" remake) but I wasn't around yet back then so I can judge her films more objectively.

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2018 10:48 PM

R14, love "La Promesse." Those Dardenne brothers are great. And Jeremie Renier (no, DL, not Jeremy Renner) is always good.

by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2018 10:49 PM

[quote](like "La Promesse", which is one of the greatest films ever made)

[quote]I'm motivated by my good taste in movies.

I think this speaks for itself.

Slap some subtitles on a movie and have the actors speak in French and people think it's a masterpiece. Greatest ever made, too!

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2018 10:55 PM

What I've noticed that is Barbra's movie tastes are stuck in 1966, the time of "Funny Girl." The lighting, the photography, everything--that's her idea of a great movie--William Wyler, David Lean....I mean, they WERE great...in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2018 10:56 PM

Is this the one where she has Pierce Brosnan and Jeff Bridges falling all over her?

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2018 10:58 PM

Wow, [R19], you’re comparing Streisand to William Wyler and David Lean (the director of “Lawrence of Arabia”)?!?

That’s a huge unintentional compliment...

by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2018 11:01 PM

R18, you'll feel better about subtitles once you learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 22March 12, 2018 11:05 PM

So, has anyone seen the French film Le miroir à deux faces (starring the gorgeous Michele Morgan) that this movie was based on? I'd love to watch it but I can't find a subtitled version anywhere.

Apparently the transformation is much more drastic in that one (the leading character even goes under the knife to become more beautiful). And it looks like Morgan had to sport a huge pinocchio-like prosthetic honker in her "before" scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 12, 2018 11:08 PM

Have Brenda Vaccaro and Mimi Rogers worked since?

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2018 11:11 PM

Blossom, you’re beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 25March 12, 2018 11:14 PM

That Oscar should have been mine!!!

by Anonymousreply 26March 12, 2018 11:14 PM

Yes, R23, but nothing compares to Cher's transformation in Moonstruck. Cher had to undergo brow waxing and hair dyeing. Can you imagine that?

by Anonymousreply 27March 12, 2018 11:15 PM

Of course we all know its a vanity project by Barb but I did find it entertaining and amusing enough. And isn't it Lauren Bacall almost won an Oscar for this?

by Anonymousreply 28March 12, 2018 11:18 PM

Two faces and four chins.

by Anonymousreply 29March 12, 2018 11:27 PM

R23, that is fascinating. I love MM. She's in the sultry, Mexico-set The Proud Ones, with Gerard Philippe. She left us last year at 99.

If only there was plastic surgery in Cyrano's time!

by Anonymousreply 30March 12, 2018 11:29 PM

Michèle died so young.

by Anonymousreply 31March 12, 2018 11:45 PM

Streisand had fans in Stanley Kubrick, Laurence Olivier, Katharine Hepburn, Marlon Brando. The crème de la crème were in awe of her amazing talent. And that included her acting performances as well.

by Anonymousreply 32March 12, 2018 11:49 PM

[quote] Streisand had fans in Stanley Kubrick, Laurence Olivier, Katharine Hepburn, Marlon Brando. The crème de la crème were in awe of her amazing talent. And that included her acting performances as well.

Her acting performances?

Links please.

by Anonymousreply 33March 12, 2018 11:55 PM

R30 Yeah, j'adore MM too. I even made a DL thread when she died but it didn't get many responses. I was hoping more DLers would comment on her sexual orientation, because I always got a strong lesbo vibe from her.

And I love that film (though the correct english title is "The Proud and the Beautiful"). Don't know why, but I still can't get that scene where she searches the pockets of her contagious husband's body to find his wallet out of my head. I'm not a huge fan of Sartre, but his script for that film was pure perfection.

by Anonymousreply 34March 12, 2018 11:56 PM

OP, you should have posted the before picture for better context.

by Anonymousreply 35March 12, 2018 11:58 PM

She has a great body.

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2018 12:07 AM

What an awful movie. One of her worst (and that's really saying something).

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2018 12:08 AM

Ewwwwwww Kill it!

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2018 12:11 AM

R34, in case you didn't know, the film, but sans subtitles, is on youtube, by the French title, plus ",ok".

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2018 12:16 AM

Please remember that B.S. passed on "The Normal Heart" to make this dreck.

I hate it for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2018 1:01 AM

Think how awful "The Normal Heart" would have been had she directed it.

I love this for that alone.

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2018 1:06 AM

She looks like buttah!

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2018 1:11 AM

I will live to be a hundred and never understand why someone so constantly obsessed through her entire life about her looks never got a nosejob.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2018 1:17 AM

Silly bitch.

by Anonymousreply 44March 13, 2018 1:21 AM

R43, Umm, because she's a singer?

by Anonymousreply 45March 13, 2018 1:22 AM

She passed on Normal Heart because Larry Kramer didn't want to compromise over one line of dialogue that Barbra wanted changed.

And her reward for that was having Kramer out her son.

by Anonymousreply 46March 13, 2018 1:27 AM

[quote] Umm, because she's a singer?

Tons of singers have had nosejobs without it affecting their sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 13, 2018 1:37 AM

She spends the first 2/3 of the movie railing AGAINST "women should try to be goodlooking" mentality only to undue her character's beliefs with one makeover.

This scene also seems laughable because she really only puts on a tight dress, brushes her hair, and finally wears some makeup. And presto chango old Babs is a sex kitten???

by Anonymousreply 48March 13, 2018 1:40 AM

i think the real joke had more to do with how the transformation from ugly duckling to swan was not really that much of a stretch. she really didn't allow herself to look ugly at all. Perhaps just a bit pasty. That was the REAL joke!

by Anonymousreply 49March 13, 2018 1:48 AM

[quote]She passed on Normal Heart because Larry Kramer didn't want to compromise over one line of dialogue that Barbra wanted changed.

Didn't he kill the project, because Barbra pushed to make it an HBO movie?

by Anonymousreply 50March 13, 2018 1:52 AM

Who could ever forget sourpuss Stephen Bogart rolling his eyes when Mme. Binoche stole his momma Oscar? And that forced smile on Betty's face was equally painful to watch.

It was obvious Binoche's performance was miles ahead of Bacall's, who didn't really have much to do in The Mirror. But then again, people have been given unofficial lifetime achievement Oscars for much more insignificant roles - like Don Ameche's bizarre win for Cocoon. Did he even have any fucking lines in that film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 13, 2018 6:10 AM

Bacall should have won that because Binoche should never have been in the Supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2018 6:26 AM

I can understand why Binoche was in supporting category, despite having the same amount of screentime as Kristin Scott Thomas (sorry, I meant to say DAME Kristin Scott Thomas). I thought the Italian scenes were the most interesting part of the film but it was still obvious that the whole story was built around that dull Fieness-Thomas romance, so Binoche's character did feel somehow secondary to me, at least as far the film structure is concerned. It would be a much better film if they trimmed down the African scenes and focused more on Binoche's character.

by Anonymousreply 53March 13, 2018 6:38 AM

I considered Binoche the leading lady in that film. Far more interesting--and far more charisma--than Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 54March 13, 2018 6:40 AM

The scene where Bacall reminisces about the adulation she received in her youth is very affecting and the best moment in the film.

You have to give credit to Barbra - every film she directed, someone in the cast was nominated for an Oscar (Amy Irving, Nick Nolte, Kate Nelligan, Bacall).

by Anonymousreply 55March 13, 2018 6:42 AM

To be honest the film should have been called The Mirror Has Two Cracks based on that reveal scene, She gives a new meaning to the word butterface.......

by Anonymousreply 56March 13, 2018 6:43 AM

the mirror has two faces... and they both ugly!

for real - in the book, the Rose character undergoes drastic plastic surgery. now THIS is what la streisand should have done. so it would be a REAL reveal. But instead she did this movie and THEN got a face lift!

by Anonymousreply 57March 13, 2018 6:44 AM

Even many film critics noted how hilariously awful that shot of revamed Babs was:

[quote] The points of Streisand’s story, however — that beauty comes from within, that everyone deserves love, that even insecure people can be big stars — are lost. In a scene designed to unveil the revamped Rose, Streisand the director has the camera pan down Streisand the actress, pausing to admire the woman’s Elvira-like cleavage and fine ankles. It’s a moment almost giggle-worthy in its self-conscious conceit, and therefore, ironically, a shot of the star at her most vulnerable. It’s a Barbra-rific moment, one that is sure to be reenacted in cabaret acts for years to come. It’s Barbra in the mirror, and all we can do is gape

by Anonymousreply 58March 13, 2018 6:53 AM

Someone should adjust that gif so the lense CRACKS at the end, when it reaches her FACE.

I'm glad she's rich, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 59March 13, 2018 6:54 AM

She was advised against it by her vocal coach (Judy Davis??), R43.

Besides, it would have to have been in place before her star began to rise-and what the hell, maybe she's really quite comfortable with it. Work with what ya' got, I always say. Sometimes Babs worked her stuff pretty well.."What's Up, Doc?" comes to mind.

Besides, too many Jewish girls in my old school went for the coming-of-age nose job and picked something far too perky. Michele Lee comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 60March 13, 2018 7:15 AM

“supposed”, OP, not “suppose”.

by Anonymousreply 61March 13, 2018 7:27 AM

R59 How about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 13, 2018 7:33 AM

When I saw this in a movie theatre in NYC a guy two seats across from me started shouting 'I like blue.' It was most disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 63March 13, 2018 7:34 AM

R62 Thank you [bold]: )

by Anonymousreply 64March 13, 2018 7:50 AM

Why can't ugly women accept they're ugly ? There are other values. In the olden days, not everyone thought they were pretty. Even movie stars. Katharine Hepburn knew she was a dog, she developped her acting skills. Davis didn't aspire to beauty. She even said of her arch enemy, Crawford, 'I wish I were half that beautiful, but....( something horribly derogatory) '. I remember my grand mother, who was a very plain, very sweet lady, talking about her exact contemporary, Vivien Leigh. She had the sort of reverence, admiration, that clearly showed no envy. ( of course in this case it was also the achievements, but she could aknowledge Leigh's beauty as superior). Since when every woman demands to be regarded as beautiful and sexy ?

by Anonymousreply 65March 13, 2018 10:22 AM

R65 is the spirit of the datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 66March 13, 2018 1:16 PM

The Normal Heart WAS awful, r41. Truly. Not even Mark Ruffalo could save it! Taylor Kitsch was the worst thing about it!

by Anonymousreply 67March 13, 2018 1:24 PM

This movie totally portrays the wrong message.

by Anonymousreply 68March 13, 2018 1:53 PM

Barbra has such a huge ego...her problem is that she wants everyone to think that she’s beautiful even though deep down she knows that she’s not. This could have been a really good film, a chance to call out our obsession with looks over true human decency. Instead we got a glorified Lifetime movie!!!

by Anonymousreply 69March 13, 2018 2:31 PM

I don't know that movie or much about Streisand but that GIF should be a meme, Hilarious. The body looks good and you're going up, and then that FACE! HOLY SHIT!

Thanks, OP. I needed a good laugh today!

by Anonymousreply 70March 13, 2018 2:44 PM

I agree with R69. Instead the movie glamorized the superficial, status conscious neurosis of the Upper West Side nasty neurotics. All the education in the world can't change that.

by Anonymousreply 71March 13, 2018 3:28 PM

The scene in Mirror where Barbra is teaching a class and she knows all her students by name has always been proof of how out of touch she really was.

by Anonymousreply 72March 13, 2018 3:41 PM

R48 & R49 Isn't this the movie where she chows down on sno-balls in the first half? So the tight dress is supposed signify she gave up the sno-balls and lost weight...?

by Anonymousreply 73March 13, 2018 4:36 PM

R47 Doesn't Leah Michele deny the nose job and try to say magazines photoshop her big old ugly honker?

by Anonymousreply 74March 13, 2018 4:39 PM

That GIF should come with the sound of sexy sax music playing as it pans up, suddenly cut off with the scratch of a record player arm as it hits her face.

by Anonymousreply 75March 13, 2018 4:48 PM

This movie is a guilty pleasure. I love the scene where Rose and her mom talk in the kitchen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 13, 2018 4:50 PM

The missed opportunity of her fighting with L.C and killing The Normal Heart was timing and the size of the audience receiving it's message. A larger and more mainstream audience would have seen the Streisand film.

Larry and Barbra are both neurotic cunts but both are talented. Pettiness and ego could have been put aside .

And let's face it, the t.v. mess that was finally produced was awful and 10 years too late. Prince of Tides isn't a bad film. She could have done at least that well with it.

by Anonymousreply 77March 13, 2018 4:52 PM

I think you're all being a bit too harsh on Babula's looks. Sure, she was deluded for thinking she was some sort of a bombshell, but she was still far from ugly. Barbra's annoying narcissism aside, that is a pretty good looking 54-year old woman in that GIF.

by Anonymousreply 78March 13, 2018 6:50 PM

My only issue with Babs' transformation in the film was all of the college undergrads doing double takes when she walked on campus and into classroom, while all gesturing to each other as if she was Olivia Newton John in the Carnival scene at the end of Grease.

by Anonymousreply 79March 13, 2018 7:22 PM

R79 OMG I forgot about that. Oof, how embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 80March 13, 2018 7:32 PM

R76 Is Betty drinking some delicious HIGH POINT DEKKKHAFFEINATED COFFEE ??? is that the reason why she's so relaxed ? MMMMMM THE FLAVAH

by Anonymousreply 81March 13, 2018 8:56 PM

Barbra was no Anna Nicole Smith, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 13, 2018 8:58 PM

I think if Babs got a nose job her face would lose all character a la Jennifer Grey.

by Anonymousreply 83March 13, 2018 9:08 PM

I agree with R83

by Anonymousreply 84March 13, 2018 9:23 PM

A dreadful movie, but I did love the line when Bacall says to.....Babs? The other daughter?

"I never should have encouraged you to speak."

by Anonymousreply 85March 13, 2018 9:27 PM

Babs is giving me Sonia Morgan teas

by Anonymousreply 86March 13, 2018 9:31 PM

Let me show you how to do this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 13, 2018 9:47 PM

Btw why is Streisand such a gay icon in America ? In 50 years I have never heard her utter one word in favor of gay rights

by Anonymousreply 88March 13, 2018 9:50 PM

R88 Probably because of her rags to riches story, becoming famous on Broadway and doing disco.

by Anonymousreply 89March 13, 2018 11:37 PM

R81, you always come here with the same tired FLAVAH joke. Can't you get some new material? You are dull, dull, dull

by Anonymousreply 90March 14, 2018 12:25 AM

The Nose Needs Two Mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 91March 14, 2018 12:44 AM

People who don't get Streisand, we know. People didn't get Picasso, Wagner and Sarah Bernhardt either. But their immense talents are undeniable to many.

She is a genius, and one of the very few of the modern era. She has been able to carve out careers in acting, singing, directing and even interior design to great success. She has been awarded just about every prize there is out there, save for the Nobel.

Her Yentl is a masterpiece. To watch it in a theater full of people is akin to listening to Garland at Carnegie Hall. The rawness of pure emotion projected onto the silver screen in a way very few have ever mastered to do. The only time people have ever given standing ovations after musical numbers IN A MOVIE THEATER. Steven Spielberg compared it to Citizen Kane. That's how good she can get, folks.

That's talent. Her first ten years is a body of work that will be studied by professionals entering the business fifty years from now. To inspire and to teach.

There's nothing else to say.

by Anonymousreply 92March 14, 2018 1:02 AM

Christ, she is heinous-looking. Will never understand her appeal.

by Anonymousreply 93March 14, 2018 1:21 AM

She did once say she felt like a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 94March 14, 2018 1:35 AM

Yes, she is very talented.

But her neediness about her looks is a big, huge turnoff.

It's hard to rejoice in the first without her reminding you about the second.

If she hasn't make such a big deal about it over the years, the topic would have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 95March 14, 2018 1:36 AM

R92 Interior design? INTERIOR DESIGN!!??

Yentl is unwatchable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 14, 2018 1:39 AM

Yentl was horrible. It could have been a nice little film in the hands of the right person but Babs turned it into a nearly unwatchable one-woman show vanity project.

Isaac Singer nicely summed up why the film stank so badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 14, 2018 3:32 AM

TMHTF deserved all the shit that was hurled at it by critics. Streisand should have known better. The entire message was ruined by the last segment of the movie when she is no long ROSE, she simply becomes BABS....and it sucks. I love Barbra, but that movie is a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 98March 14, 2018 4:12 AM

She’s too much of a control freak and her ego directed “Mirror”, not her. She called up Steve Cook because she didn’t like how Siri pronounced her name. Can you imagine working with a director where every set decision required director approval? She should have known better than to direct and star in that film given the premise. It showcased in so many ways how self unaware and detached from reality she is.

by Anonymousreply 99March 14, 2018 4:33 AM

r92: MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 100March 14, 2018 4:39 AM

r92, the Hubble Space Telescope just called to complain--your flamingness is interfering with their view of the Milky Way.

by Anonymousreply 101March 14, 2018 4:41 AM

I think Bacall is rather good in the film and it's probably one of her better performances. I think the main reason she lost was that she was known for being super cunty.

Streisand is a far better director than she is an actress. I remember hearing her say how she started by wanting to play all the great, classical roles. I couldn't help but laugh. She's honestly never been that great of a dramatic actress because she's so scared to let go and be seen in an unflattering light. She has a great flair for comedy, but even there she has the same problem that she has in dramas - she wants to always look her best.

This is why I could never imagine her playing Rose in GYPSY even when she was younger and age appropriate for the role. She's too afraid to let go and really play a monster.

by Anonymousreply 102March 14, 2018 4:58 AM

Brenda Vaccaro actually gave the best supporting actress performance in that film (and I'm not even the Brenda Vaccaro troll.)

by Anonymousreply 103March 14, 2018 5:01 AM

R103 the other day I got a friend to eat lunch with me instead of going to the gym and I felt like Brenda fat friend character in that scene when Rose concedes to share a burger with her after her fabulous transformation.

I’m not doing that again. I’m not fat or that hard up for friends.

by Anonymousreply 104March 14, 2018 5:12 AM

Bacall was terrific in the movie. As were Kate Nelligan and Blythe Danner in Prince of Tides, which is a much better movie than Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 105March 14, 2018 5:38 AM

Elle Macpherson was in Mirror and she was unmatched in her ability to destroy movies without even uttering a single line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 14, 2018 5:46 AM

Babs is having an Eddie Monsoon moment there.

by Anonymousreply 107March 14, 2018 5:57 AM

All I ever needed was the music and the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 108March 14, 2018 6:00 AM

[quote]R92 Her Yentl is a masterpiece. To watch it in a theater full of people is akin to listening to Garland at Carnegie Hall.

Except, the drippy songs kind of suck, and all sound the same.

I like Amy Irving in it, tho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 14, 2018 6:05 AM

[quote]She's been in the biz for more than 50 years and "Funny Girl" remains the only good film she's ever done.

Bitch please. I'm no Streisand the Actress fan - most of her film career is shit, but she has made other good movies, such as What's Up Doc and The Way We Were.

by Anonymousreply 110March 14, 2018 6:25 AM

R92, you sound completely unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 111March 14, 2018 6:25 AM

Someone on another Streisand thread said it best. Streisand's biggest problem is that she has both incredible talent as well as incredibly bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 112March 14, 2018 6:29 AM

She’s obviously had the tip of her nose reduced. Just the tip.

by Anonymousreply 113March 14, 2018 6:39 AM

Streisand basically handed Jane Fonda her high prestige career. She turned down Klute, Julia, (maybe They Shoot Horses too? Not sure about that one.)

by Anonymousreply 114March 14, 2018 6:45 AM

Tom Shales ' review of the movie: "the mirror has two faces and the theatre has many exits." Funniest comment ever.

by Anonymousreply 115March 14, 2018 6:55 AM

Streisand's perfectionism and constant reshooting of the final scene on an Upper West Side Manhattan street irked residents so that they were shouting things at her.

by Anonymousreply 116March 14, 2018 6:59 AM

It’s actually a pretty good movie until that last part which is what makes it a shame. Not like a lot of her other heavy handed efforts of that time, it was kind of gently funny, and had some pretty good performances, and had some interesting things to say. Bacall was genuinely great. But that ending was an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 117March 14, 2018 8:19 AM

R117 Are you referring to the transformation, everyone finding her irresistible, the Jeff Bridges husband character losing it over her and screaming for her in the street?

by Anonymousreply 118March 14, 2018 11:37 AM

did all that $$$ and antiques buy u happiness lady?

by Anonymousreply 119March 14, 2018 12:32 PM

Remember in the movie Nuts when Richard Dreyfuss goes to her apartment to get her clothes for court and finds her SUPER SEXY photos??

by Anonymousreply 120March 14, 2018 3:00 PM

I had a harder time buying her role as a high price call girl in "Nuts."

by Anonymousreply 121March 14, 2018 3:21 PM

Even Bacall admitted in a UK television interview that Mirror wasn't a very good movie.

by Anonymousreply 122March 14, 2018 5:52 PM

[quote]R121 I had a harder time buying her role as a high price call girl in "Nuts."

It was going to be Debra Winger till Babs got wind of it, and swooped in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 14, 2018 8:28 PM

I find it quite extraordinary that even when she lost the oscar she had coveted all her life to a 25 yrs old foreign Weinstein slut no one has heard of since, Bacall showed no tension at all. Is it thanks to high point decaffeinated coffee ? because tension can show on your face you know ?

by Anonymousreply 124March 14, 2018 9:23 PM

Butter face.

by Anonymousreply 125March 14, 2018 9:31 PM

[quote] Even Bacall admitted in a UK television interview that Mirror wasn't a very good movie.

What a sore loser cunt. She wouldn’t have said that if she’d won.

by Anonymousreply 126March 14, 2018 9:41 PM

R126 she NEVER said that

by Anonymousreply 127March 14, 2018 9:44 PM

Did Betty really say that? Link, please. I have a hard time imagining even a cunt like her bitching about the movie that revived interest in her.

by Anonymousreply 128March 14, 2018 9:45 PM

Was English Patient the first of the Weinstein fixes? It was such a lousy movie.

Bacall's unpopularity made her vulnerable to a loss. Enter Weinstein, who props up Binoche.

Votes tabulated, and a surprise winner.

A win for Hershey or the non nominated Courtney Love would have made more sense.

by Anonymousreply 129March 14, 2018 9:52 PM

That was so gauche when Binoche said in her acceptance speech that she thought Lauren was going to win. It drew attention to Bacall at a moment when she probably least wanted it and was disrespectful of the other nominees.

by Anonymousreply 130March 15, 2018 1:23 AM

Binoche was sweet and French and genuinely shocked. Even Bacall can be seen in the clip saying it was sweet.

by Anonymousreply 131March 15, 2018 1:27 AM

Guess which actress was first cast in the Barbara Hershey role but dropped out of the film?

by Anonymousreply 132March 15, 2018 1:30 AM

NUTS was to go first to Winger and then to Cher, either of which would have been superb in the part. Barbra snatched it up and was entirely ill-suited to it. It was a waste and one of the very few films she did in that period. Such a shame that she hardly worked and when she did, made bad choices.

by Anonymousreply 133March 15, 2018 5:49 AM

In 1987 Winger turned down 2 Best Actress performances plus Nuts.

Fatal Attraction, and Broadcast News being the other two. (Broadcast News she got pregnant and dropped out of)

by Anonymousreply 134March 15, 2018 5:52 AM

R130 = Diane Ladd, still bitter that Ingrid Bergman singled out only Valentina Cortese in her speech

by Anonymousreply 135March 15, 2018 6:00 AM

Don't forget the little brown babies!

by Anonymousreply 136March 15, 2018 6:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 15, 2018 7:59 AM

Streisand is a great singer. Perhaps the best pop singer ever. Her voice is extraordinary. I 've only ever seen her in 'the way we were'. 'prince of tides' and ' the mirror has two faces '. She should have refrained after the Redford chick flick. Her films are an embarrassment to womanhood. She is notable as a director only in the sense that she's female. A genius ? ROTFLMAO. Please. But superiorly gifted as a singer. Unfortunately her legacy is evil. The 'screaming diva' is a calamity that was born with her. Sad

by Anonymousreply 138March 15, 2018 8:10 AM

Oh, Debra...such an amazing actress and some of the most amazingly bad career choices...

by Anonymousreply 139March 15, 2018 12:16 PM

Tramped-out Babs is my favorite Babs. I'd like to see her take a film role as a club Mama in charge of a gaggle of down home, standards singers, clinging to a dream! Some quaint pocket of a place where people cling to this culture.

by Anonymousreply 140March 15, 2018 12:19 PM

For those busting Barbara, she was a face on film that actually had expression. Pretty enough to do but more important than that, full of expression, funny and moving. People don't want performers onscreen, anymore. They want carved statues.

The point of her character in TMHTF was that he loved her, anyway. Gussying up the exterior was supposed to be something personally for him. That was why it was very attractive. It was a story, with character development, even if the delivery had its cheesy moments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141March 15, 2018 12:25 PM

Indeed she did, R126, go to 41:20 and you'll hear her agree with the interviewer that it wasn't a very good movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 15, 2018 12:27 PM

Hahahahahaha Bacall knows no boundaries. Love her even more

by Anonymousreply 143March 15, 2018 12:35 PM

R142 Thanks for that link. What's even more interesting is that Bacall acknowledges Babs' unpopularitywith certain people. I'm pretty sure Bacall was convinced she lost the Oscar because the Academy wanted to punish Barbra, not her.

by Anonymousreply 144March 15, 2018 1:02 PM

If Barbra had cast another actress in the leading role - another unconventional looking woman, like, say, Anjelica Huston - would the movie have worked better?

by Anonymousreply 145March 15, 2018 1:11 PM

Male filmmakers have used this tracking-up device to look at women for a long time. It's called the male gaze, and since the shot in the film is Jeff Bridges' POV it has context. I remember there was a similar shot of Madonna in Who's That Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 15, 2018 1:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that gif is reveresed. I believe in the movie you first see Barbra's proud face and then the camera pulls down to display her weirdly postured body.

by Anonymousreply 147March 15, 2018 1:42 PM

R147 Maybe, but it's way funnier this way.

by Anonymousreply 148March 15, 2018 1:51 PM

[quote]Katharine Hepburn knew she was a dog

Except that she was one of the most beautiful women ever to appear in film. Her bone structure was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 149March 15, 2018 2:31 PM

Hepburn's cheekbones were once described as the greatest calcium deposits since The White Cliffs of Dover.

by Anonymousreply 150March 15, 2018 3:48 PM

Katharine Hepburn was definitely not "a dog". Cozy and cutesy she certainly wasn't, she had a very unapproachable and patrician type of beauty, but you can not deny that she was beautiful. Even as a very, old woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2018 4:36 PM

Hepburn really grew into her looks when they stopped trying to make her look like everyone else. And she had the best gams in the business!

by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2018 4:40 PM

[quote]The point of her character in TMHTF was that he loved her, anyway. Gussying up the exterior was supposed to be something personally for him. That was why it was very attractive. It was a story, with character development, even if the delivery had its cheesy moments.

You've got to stop defending this movie. It was awful, pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 153March 15, 2018 4:50 PM

Hepburn looks like Parker Posey in that left picture. Maybe she should have done The Aviator.

by Anonymousreply 154March 15, 2018 4:54 PM

R154 I think Parker Posey's talent and ability to do comedy so well masks how much of a beauty she actually is. It's never played up but she's as naturally beautiful as Hepburn or Louise Brooks. She has the same bone structure, same ability to carry off low-fuss looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 15, 2018 5:01 PM

What is it with Babs and her weird fingerclaw fetish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 15, 2018 8:27 PM

[quote]R152 she had the best gams in the business!

[italic]As You Like It[/italic] (as it were)

[bold]: )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 15, 2018 8:57 PM

Hahahahahaha the comments on Hepburn's ' beauty '. Hilarious. No straight guy has ever found hepburn beautiful. Not then, not now.The 'bone structure ' appraisal has really made me laugh. You gays are so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 158March 15, 2018 9:05 PM

Ewwwww! Glass brick! 🤮

by Anonymousreply 159March 15, 2018 11:13 PM

I'll always love Hepburn for stealing half of Barbra's Oscar. Babs must have been furious that she had to share the stage with Anthony Harvey that night.

by Anonymousreply 160March 16, 2018 12:19 AM

Does anyone think Babs was rooting for Kay Medford to win Best Supporting Actress that evening, while seated with Kay's fellow nominee, Ruth Gordon?

by Anonymousreply 161March 16, 2018 11:09 AM

[quote]This scene also seems laughable because she really only puts on a tight dress, brushes her hair, and finally wears some makeup. And presto chango old Babs is a sex kitten???

Presto chango she's Claudia Draper, the crazy hooker from "Nuts".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 16, 2018 1:36 PM

R156 See R162. No matter what you think about the rest of her, she has always had really beautiful hands and nails. Don't know where you got the claw pic from, but that ain't Babs hand.

by Anonymousreply 163March 16, 2018 1:42 PM

She looks wonderful in the photo (162).

by Anonymousreply 164March 17, 2018 1:09 AM

R164 Yes, but, alas, she does not look like a high priced call girl.

by Anonymousreply 165March 17, 2018 3:48 AM

Bab's on the movie poster.... No wonder it only performed moderately to BO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 17, 2018 4:29 AM

R166 She looks like Sarah Jessica Parker's broodmare.

by Anonymousreply 167March 17, 2018 4:50 AM

Fair enough that many of the attractive woman (over 40 and gorgeous) were not good enough actresses to play a part like that. But the obvious choices like Farrah and Cher probably would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 168March 17, 2018 4:52 AM

Wait. I just googled Nuts. It's a drama???

by Anonymousreply 169March 17, 2018 5:02 AM

I honestly can't see either Debra Winger or Cher as Claudia Draper. They're both too earthy types. If you look at Anne Twomey who did the play on stage, she is not an earthy type. Rather she has that WASP patrician distance, like an actress like Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 170March 17, 2018 5:11 AM

I must have turned down Nuts.

by Anonymousreply 171March 17, 2018 5:14 AM

yes r169

by Anonymousreply 172March 17, 2018 5:15 AM

Hirschfeld of Anne Twomey in Nuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 17, 2018 5:22 AM

R162 Your girl is lovely, Hubbell.

by Anonymousreply 174March 17, 2018 5:25 AM

I remember a really odd TV commercial for the Broadway production of Nuts from when I was a kid.

She'd stand there saying stuff about the moon and looking all deranged and unhinged. It only ran a few months I think. Funny that it even got a film made of it considering it wasn't much of a hit.

by Anonymousreply 175March 17, 2018 5:27 AM

R87 That picture of SB makes the BS reveal look palatable in comparison. BS is not cute but SB is a supreme fug. BS also had a nice body at one time. BS looks like an ironing board.......

by Anonymousreply 176March 17, 2018 5:29 AM

I love that in the movie, she said "I get $400 for a straight lay, $300 for a hand job and $500 for head." This is 30 years ago. $300 for a hand job! WTF?

by Anonymousreply 177March 17, 2018 5:31 AM

I meant that SB looks like an ironing board......

by Anonymousreply 178March 17, 2018 5:33 AM

R177 Darlin', Babs is worth the trouble. Take her word for it. If you want the best...DO you want the best, R177? Babs is talking about taking your body to heaven and sending your mind south. She's talking about spoiling you so bad you will hate every other woman you touch. She's talking about her mouth on your mouth, and her tobgue anywhere you want it. She's talking about indulging your every fantasy, and then giving you those fantasies, one by one. Just for you. All for you. Nobody but you. You get all that, darlin'? Would you like that, baby? Do you get what she's telling you? [quote]Do you all GET what she's tellin' you??

by Anonymousreply 179March 17, 2018 5:56 AM

NUTS and MIRROR make up the most embarrassing part of her film career: when she really, truly lost track of who she is as an actress. Mirror is not totally off the rails, but Nuts is. Completely and utterly wrong for the part.

by Anonymousreply 180March 17, 2018 6:38 AM

'The Mirror Has Two Faces' is one of the most shockingly inept, and shittily-conceived Hollywood A-list movies I can think of.

In every possible way, IT'S JUST AWFUL!

by Anonymousreply 181March 17, 2018 6:40 AM

Didn't it make a decent amount of money, though? I don't think it was a bomb or anything. So, it's not like its instinct was completely off.

by Anonymousreply 182March 17, 2018 6:54 AM

OP - you know what that transformation scene desperately needed? A bucket of pig's blood!!

by Anonymousreply 183March 17, 2018 6:57 AM

R175 - the play's move from off-Broadway to Broadway was financed by Universal Pictures who also bought the film rights. The season lasted 96 performances on Broadway. I think Winger was first attached with director Mark Rydell at Universal. They could never get a script everybody was happy with, and the project moved to Warner Bros who wanted Streisand instead and apparently lowered the price offered to Winger to force her to withdraw. I have never heard that Cher was approached. Rydell withdrew because he clashed with Streisand but then it was said that she had a rocky relationship with Martin Ritt too, who reportedly thought she was not right for the part. But since she also became the film's producer, he was a hired-hand only and she had final cut.

by Anonymousreply 184March 17, 2018 7:16 AM

^ Meant to write I have never heard that Cher was approached. The play also had some kudos because Anne Twomey was nominated for a Tony for her performance as Claudia, but didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 185March 17, 2018 7:19 AM

....Vs Barbara’s big transformation scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 17, 2018 8:01 AM

^*Barbra*

by Anonymousreply 187March 17, 2018 8:02 AM

Embarrassing! The monologue at R179 would make even a sensationalist hack like Mark Robson cringe!

by Anonymousreply 188March 17, 2018 11:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 17, 2018 2:01 PM

Also known as [italic][bold]Mentl.

by Anonymousreply 190March 17, 2018 2:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191March 17, 2018 2:12 PM

The year before Nuts was filmed Babs still had the frizzy fro from the 70s, and her look was really very garish. This was her big transformation. She became quite subtle and it's basically the look she kept. Donna Karen (lots of creams and tans), linebacker fitted shoulders and the flattering new hair-do. This was the new Babs.

by Anonymousreply 192March 17, 2018 2:34 PM

This movie angered Larry Kramer because he thought Barbra was going to do "The Normal Heart" and then she did this movie. He made some comment along the lines of "A character who gets plastic surgery is more interesting to Ms. Streisand than one who is trying to solve the AIDS crisis." He unleashed his full pissed off gay fury on her. And it caused a rip in the gay time/space continuum because gays didn't know which icon to side with.

by Anonymousreply 193March 17, 2018 2:36 PM

Too bad in the makeover, they couldn't fix her lazy eye.

by Anonymousreply 194March 17, 2018 2:38 PM

That took 8 hours of preparation: hair, makeup, lighting, Vaseline...

by Anonymousreply 195March 17, 2018 2:42 PM

People Magazine's review of The Mirror Has Two Faces, (only 6 words): .... and the theater has many exits!

Best review EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 196March 18, 2018 3:14 AM

The poster above who said her nails look scary was right on point. I can't believe there are actually people who find such claws attractive (especially on a 75-year old woman). She could slice your neck with those things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 18, 2018 3:14 AM

Nuts was a ridiculous vanity project.

Barbra does not look like an expensive call girl. And she was 45, way too old to be cast in the role.

by Anonymousreply 198March 18, 2018 3:31 AM

The problem for me was that Barbra never allowed herself to appear unattractive at the beginning of the film. At most she was dumpy looking with a frau hairdo, no makeup, sweats, and a steady diet of junk food and baseball games.

The only “transformation” was glamming her into the Streisand we’ve all seen for years. The change was a vast improvement, but the movie acted like she had become some goddess that only they could see.

Babs should have either let some else play the part or someone else direct, neither of which she would have tolerated. Creatively she’s her own worst enemy because she never lets go of being Streisand.

That said, for all its flaws, I still like the movie, if you’ve ever struggled with feeling unattractive-or “less than” because of it, there are parts of the film that resonate with you. The scene is the kitchen with Rose and her mother is very powerful.

by Anonymousreply 199March 18, 2018 3:33 AM

[quote]Male filmmakers have used this tracking-up device to look at women for a long time. It's called the male gaze,

It's certainly emblematic of the male gaze in movies, but that particular kind of pan-up shot is NOT literally called "the male gaze," nor is it a tracking shot.

by Anonymousreply 200March 18, 2018 3:39 AM

The Mirror Crack'd.

by Anonymousreply 201March 18, 2018 3:50 AM

[quote]The problem for me was that Barbra never allowed herself to appear unattractive at the beginning of the film.

She did the same thing in Yentl. She refused to cut her hair to look like a boy. She wore a Joey Heatherton wig and a quart of foundation and eye make-up.

by Anonymousreply 202March 18, 2018 3:53 AM

r202-imposter

by Anonymousreply 203March 18, 2018 4:10 AM

Anybody in LA reading who went to this event? (link posted)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 18, 2018 7:04 AM

Apparently, her Gypsy could still be a go with Ryan Murphy hinting that he's "got a good Netflix deal." Just let it happen already while she can still walk.

by Anonymousreply 205March 18, 2018 5:05 PM

R205 She can walk, but just barely. Remember this video where she went to visit her old dressing room on Broadway? She's moving around like a little old Jewish grandmother here, with very slow movements. It was obvious Gypsy was dead years ago. And I think the same can be said for that Catherine the Great movie she was gonna direct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 18, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]Btw why is Streisand such a gay icon in America ?

It's complicated. Let's start with this, her 1969 Academy Awards outfit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 18, 2018 5:19 PM

That outfit was designed by Arnold Scaasi, who is another Babs' preferred couturier. That's right, Babs Bush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 18, 2018 5:23 PM

Arnold should be a DL fave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 18, 2018 5:24 PM

Are Babs and Bar Bush friends? They certainly seem very friendly with one another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 18, 2018 5:29 PM

And here's Babs with Poppy, sucking the last few remaining drops of life from him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 18, 2018 5:30 PM

I love pics of her in that Scaasi outfit. I just wish she had continue to push the envelope the way she did in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 212March 18, 2018 6:02 PM

Do I understand correctly, R212 - you want to see her current bun-cakes?

by Anonymousreply 213March 19, 2018 2:51 PM

J'adore R213.

by Anonymousreply 214March 19, 2018 2:56 PM

The pics of Streisand with the Bush's are backstage at one of her concerts (they attended.) She can actually be civilized and kind to a former President and his wife. How about that!

by Anonymousreply 215March 19, 2018 4:58 PM

Barbra was a natural beauty. What a body!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 22, 2018 3:16 AM

I love this scene my dearly departed mother Julie an amazing artist who was the best person I ever known loved this movie m

by Anonymousreply 217March 22, 2018 3:34 AM

That square tipped French manicure screams pure 90s porn star.

by Anonymousreply 218May 26, 2018 6:35 PM

No one has had a greater transformation scene than moi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219May 26, 2018 7:10 PM

Her nails are like buttah.

by Anonymousreply 220May 26, 2018 7:16 PM

Could someone please make an "Avigdor, wait!" GIF?

by Anonymousreply 221May 26, 2018 7:17 PM

Babs looks like she's morphing into Jocelyn Wildenstein.

by Anonymousreply 222May 27, 2018 5:09 AM

Babs' next project should be a documentary on her life entitled, "Scenes From My Mall."

by Anonymousreply 223May 27, 2018 8:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!