Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Male-named M/M romance/scifi author Santino Hassell is actually a pathologically lying frau named Alicia Torres.

An author I follow on Facebook vaguebooked about "this whole Santino scandal" without explaining it. He explained it in a private message.

While it's no surprise that yet another "M/M author" is a fraud (I despise that term as a sanitized straight women-placating term to avoid "gay fiction"), this one is as tawdry as JT Leroy/Laura Albert fraud, but without the raccoon penis bone necklaces.

Here's a collection of tweets and screengrabs from multiple people outing this author as a straight woman who defrauded GoFundMe donors with fake liver cancer, among many other lies.

I'd never heard of this author, since I don't follow the specious underworld of women writing stupid 'romances" But this gal/guy's books are quite popular. She basically used her hubby as a front for her fake "male" author lie.

Damn fraus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2018 12:13 AM

That Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2018 8:48 PM

Santino Hassell? Really? Why does "he" have an Italian first name and German last name?

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2018 8:50 PM

He should be a Go Go boy at the Eagle. He would get lots of tips and get out of bankruptcy in no time.

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2018 8:51 PM

ooops wrong thread, lol.

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Wrong thread, but amusingly appropriate!

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2018 8:53 PM

Fake Santino Hassell's GoodReads page:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2018 8:56 PM

"His" stories were actually pretty good, but my bullshit detector went straight up when "he" would never show his face on social media. Not surprised by this in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 7March 11, 2018 11:27 PM

As long as the guy who writes all those parody novels about having things shoved up his butt is actually male, I'm OK.

by Anonymousreply 8March 11, 2018 11:57 PM

It's idiotic to even attempt an identity swap these days. It's extremely hard to make it all work without getting caught. We've had these fake male gay romance writers before; Josh Lanyon is probably the biggest one getting caught (and her novels are apparently still selling very well). Even though I sort of understand why they do it at the same time I don't understand it at all. If you write well you will sell. Women behind the Cut & Run Series, Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux, have shown that you can write as a woman and still succeed as a gay romance writer. I'm a gay man and I've no trouble saying the Cut & Run series is probably my favorite light gay action / romance series.

Obviously with Hassell and Torres things are a bit darker since the couple has possibly committed a fraud with their Go Fund Me fundraising. If true they are in deep shit.

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2018 12:17 AM

[quote]While it's no surprise that yet another "M/M author" is a fraud (I despise that term as a sanitized straight women-placating term to avoid "gay fiction"

Why do you despise the term fraud?

by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2018 12:24 AM

No, silly. "M/M author" is the despised term. Apologies for not being clear enough to you, even though I was to others.

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2018 12:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!