Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rachel Roberts - any stories?

Oscar nominated actress of This Sporting Life, Murder on the Orient Express, and the classic Picnic at Hanging Rock

Rachel Roberts was known in the entertainment industry as a legendary alcoholic, with a history of eccentric behaviour. She had a habit of imitating a Welsh Corgi when intoxicated and once, at a party thrown by Richard Harris, attacked actor Robert Mitchum on all fours, chewing his trousers and champing on his bare skin, while he patted her on the head, saying "there, there".

On 26 November 1980, Roberts died at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 53. Her cause of death was initially attributed to a heart attack. Her gardener found her body on her kitchen floor, lying amidst shards of glass; she had fallen through a decorative glass divide between two rooms.

An autopsy later determined that her death was a result of swallowing lye, alkali, or another unidentified caustic substance, as well as barbiturates and alcohol, as detailed in her posthumously published journals. The corrosive effect of the poisonous agent was an immediate cause of death. The coroner documented the cause of death as "swallowing a caustic substance" and, later, "acute barbiturate intoxication." Her death was ruled a suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 2, 2018 11:07 PM

Her photographs helped her to pass the time.

by Anonymousreply 1March 10, 2018 7:10 PM

Yikes. That's a horrible way to go. I thought she was a lot older.

by Anonymousreply 2March 10, 2018 7:17 PM

What a horrible way to die!

by Anonymousreply 3March 10, 2018 7:30 PM

She was someone's wife. Never saw her in anything. I also thought she was much older

by Anonymousreply 4March 10, 2018 7:33 PM

"Saturday Night and Sunday Morning," with Albert Finney.

Roberts was a member of the Great British Actors of the "Angry Young Men" Drama Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 5March 10, 2018 7:51 PM

Burton writes about her drunkenness at various splendid glitterati affairs in his diaries.

by Anonymousreply 6March 10, 2018 8:01 PM

I loved her as Miss Casswell/Delia Darrow in "Foul Play."

[quote]We were attacked, laughed at, and finally imprisoned. But it was there, in those hellholes, where the mind is bound and the spirit is shackled, that we realized that the single most effective way to bring about radical change is the historically proven path of violence.

Tragic life, though. She was married to Rex Harrison and once said, "It is very difficult to be taken seriously when you're introduced at a party to somebody as the fourth Mrs Rex Harrison." She deserved a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 7March 10, 2018 8:05 PM

No Bells on Sunday is a terrific read. I highly recommend it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2018 8:22 PM

And let us not forget, she was brilliant in "Murder on the Orient Express!"

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2018 8:34 PM

She was one tough Mama!

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2018 8:37 PM

R8, agreed. Great read. I’m not sure she loved Rex H so much as the life she had with him, and she never recovered from losing that.

by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2018 8:44 PM

r9 see r1

by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2018 8:44 PM

Stories? Stories? Just ask Liz Taylor, if she was still alive. Liz remembered the night she and Richard Burton went out for night on the town with Rachel when she was married to Rex Harrison. Well, Rachel, in the throes of alcoholism or dementia, got on her hind legs and barked like a dog in some nightclub. Well, Liz was having none of it and gave her a good lecture, but to no avail, she kept barking like a dog.

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2018 8:44 PM

You know you hit low when Liz Taylor and Richard Burton lecture you on drunkeness

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2018 8:48 PM

Rex Harrison was a piece of shit, wasn't he?

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2018 8:50 PM

Let's not forget the tawdry Doctors' Wives......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2018 8:56 PM

She was great is everything, but I loved her best in Picnic at Hanging Rock. I read somewhere that she never really got over Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2018 8:56 PM

From one of David Niven 's books: She and Rex were once at the café de Paris with Vivien Leigh and David Niven, when without warning she proceeded to disrobe and started hitting Rex accross the face with a wet napkin, then she started yelling at Rex ' why don't you fuck me anymore, you are a shit, you are a big piece of shit" and she sat naked on the lap of random customers and tried to fuck them. Well, Vivien was having none of it and gave her a good lecture, but to no avail, she continued screaming lines from her parts and trying to fuck all the men present.

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2018 9:02 PM

She bit Burgess Meredith's ankles like a dog in Foul Play.

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2018 9:05 PM

She used to keep a journal which, among other things, detailed her sexual fantasies. One of them was being abducted by men and having them ravish her, making her breasts grow larger by roughly fondling them.

by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2018 9:12 PM

I saw an interview of Faye Dunaway from the time she was doing 'the wicked lady ' in England. She and Rachel were pals and were regulars at the old videotape renter at the corner of the Mall and Shaftesbury av. Once she drove there to bring back a stack of tapes with Faye and instead of going into the store, she just threw them by the window in the face of the assistant and drove away. Well, Faye was not having it and gave her a good scolding but she didn't care. She just laughed and kept driving.

by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2018 9:15 PM

I do love her in Murder on the Orient Express. Great German accent. I quote her all the time with my partner.

Yes, I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2018 10:40 PM

I remember her from childhood, especially from Murder on the Orient Express. I used to think of her as being an old woman, or at least much older than 50 something. And now I'm older than she was when she passed. Now I'm the old geezer. I'm sad that she died so horribly.

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2018 10:46 PM

In Monroe's drafts for her autobio, she reminisces of all the moments when she saw Rex and Rachel in London during the filming of 'the prince and the showgirl'. Rachel would spend HOURS in the bathroom, arrive late everywhere, unkempt, smelly. Once she locked herself in the loo and declared that she was afraid of the aliens. Marilyn wouldn't have it, and told Roberts off, but she didn't care a bit and continued poping pills.

by Anonymousreply 24March 10, 2018 11:52 PM

She was good in S1mone, but her work in Rhianna's Bitch Better Have My Money will always be my favorite.

Is she related to Emma Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 25March 11, 2018 12:15 AM

[quote] Well, Vivien was having none of it

[quote] Well, Faye was not having it

[quote] Marilyn wouldn't have it,

I sense a theme here.

by Anonymousreply 26March 11, 2018 12:20 AM

What would have been the appeal of Rex Harrison?

by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2018 12:24 AM

I once came across her when she and I were both invited to a state dinner for the President of Malaysia at Buckingham Palace in the late 1970s. Unfortunately she seemed to have had a past with the Duke of Edinburgh, and as the night wore on she became more and more agitated he was paying attention to her, and also more drunken (on ice wine). Finally, she stood up at the dinner, ripped open her gown to expose her bare breasts, stood up on the table, and shouted, "Look at me, look at me, Philip! You could never give me what I really wanted!" Well, Her Majesty the Queen was having none of it, and rang for the equerries to place Rachel in chains and march her off to the Tower of London to cool her heels as soon as possible. Everyone was incredibly embarrassed, and worried what the President and First Lady of Malaysia must be thinking.

by Anonymousreply 28March 11, 2018 12:29 AM

My first trip to Cardiff in the 1970s and I was sitting my first morning at a lovely and typical outdoor restaurant on Chippy Lane having Welsh rarebit and who strolled by?

Rachel Roberts, wearing a traditional Welsh woman's stovepipe hat and absolutely nothing else. It couldn't have been a more appropriate welcome to the city. But Dame Shirley Bassey was having none of it, and raced after Rachel with a cloak to try to cover her up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 11, 2018 12:53 AM

She was a notorious lesbian . She was Robert Wagner 's guest on his yacht once, in the early eighties, and Robert walked in on her and Natalie in a compromising situation. Christopher Walken was there too, and Rachel suggested they join them. But Natalie wasn't having it and lectured her on her promiscuity.Rachel didn't care and continued her move toward the men...

by Anonymousreply 30March 11, 2018 1:16 AM

Loving these juicy stories!

by Anonymousreply 31March 11, 2018 1:19 AM

She was very funny in a small role, as a housekeeper, in "The Tony Randall Show,"( a very underrated and largely forgotten sitcom from the 70's)

by Anonymousreply 32March 11, 2018 1:37 AM

This thread is a satire I suppose, but I keep reading ... and cringing...

by Anonymousreply 33March 11, 2018 1:49 AM

[quote] I saw an interview of Faye Dunaway from the time she was doing 'the wicked lady ' in England. She and Rachel were pals and were regulars at the old videotape renter at the corner of the Mall and Shaftesbury av. Once she drove there to bring back a stack of tapes with Faye and instead of going into the store, she just threw them by the window in the face of the assistant and drove away. Well, Faye was not having it and gave her a good scolding but she didn't care. She just laughed and kept driving.

There's a different version of this story I learned on here. I've always thought it Faye Dunaway who used to do that with DVD's at Blockbusters by the corner of LaCienega and Beverly. She supposedly had a bungalow a few blocks east from that Blockbusters.

by Anonymousreply 34March 11, 2018 1:58 AM

The Tony Randall Show was great, R32. Thank you for the memory.

by Anonymousreply 35March 11, 2018 1:59 AM

She was the terror of every Bond st. shop assistant back in the day. An absolute cunt. The story is she and Bacall went to Hermès together once, and a young newbie rushed to Rachel and asked if he could offer his help 'ma'am'. Rachel gave him an icy look, uttered coldly 'This is Hermès, you should call me maDame', and demanded to see the manager about it, and be served by him. She eventually ordered a scarf, asked it to be DELIVERED., and left without paying. Bacall had none of it, and lectured her at length about common politeness and niceness to the people in service, but Rachel ignored her and proceeded to the pub.

by Anonymousreply 36March 11, 2018 11:58 AM

I'm pretty sure her tombstone says, "I'm not having it!"

by Anonymousreply 37March 11, 2018 1:51 PM

She could be a real mischief-maker. During the shoots for "Murder on the Orient Express" she would come in with a snootful and start cruelly imitating the other actresses. It would horrify most of the other performers, but Sidney Lumet would be doubled over laughing, because who can resist a really hilarious Genevieve Bujold imitation? But Wendy Hiller wouldn't have it, and when Rachel finally started prancing around saying, "My ROOSH-ian nem ees NATALYA," Wendy finally smacked her upside the head with her character's walking stick and shouted, "Shut the fuck up, Welsh trash!" That indeed shut Rachel up for the rest of the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 38March 11, 2018 9:08 PM

My Rachel Roberts story. In the 60's, she was very good friends with Mia Farrow, who is in fact, mostly british, and was raised in England. Mia always got along with older people. This was pre-Sinatra. So the two of them were using Marlene Dietrich 's appartment in NYC, when they wanted to hang out, and in one of the bathrooms, they stumbled upon Dietrich 's old beauty products from the 30's. Reading the labels, they discovered that some of the old squeezed tubes contained cocaïne, which was used frequently in medicine and beauty products then. ( after my grand mother died, same happened to us, we found a small vintage tin boxes of tablets for headaches that contained cocaïne. We were shocked) Rachel spent the entire day trying to get high. She tried sniffing them, eating them, and finally she put them into her rollies and smoked them. that infuriated Mia who was not having it and berated Roberts at length, but to no avail. Rachel continued smoking her cocaïne rollies, and told Mia to go fuck herself. So Mia rushed to the st regis hôtel to fetch Dalí, and they tried to reason with Roberts who argued that telling someone to fuck was actually doing them a favor, and passed out in Dietrich's bedroom. Dalí and Mia went back to the st Regis and finished the evening going up and down in the elevator, because they didn't know better.

by Anonymousreply 39March 11, 2018 9:30 PM

[quote] There's a different version of this story I learned on here. I've always thought it Faye Dunaway who used to do that with DVD's at Blockbusters by the corner of LaCienega and Beverly. She supposedly had a bungalow a few blocks east from that Blockbusters.

I taught that crazy bitch everything she knows.

by Anonymousreply 40March 11, 2018 9:44 PM

I watched the clip. R16. She was not very good. But it didn't matter.. Gene HACKMAN !!! Holy fuck !!! That man was SEX on LEGS ! Who knew ?

by Anonymousreply 41March 12, 2018 12:01 PM

I knew, R41 - I worship Gene Hackman! Search for my old thread, "Gene Hackman, An Appreciation" - I was pleased to see he got a lot of love here. Meanwhile I caught Rachel Roberts on an old NIGHT GALLERY episode on MeTV last night, and I wasn't having it!!

by Anonymousreply 42March 12, 2018 7:56 PM

Did anyone else read that story ? Apparently, Roberts was very suicidal, and once, as she was invited at Gene Tierney 's for high tea, while Gene was in the kitchen preparing cucumber sandwiches, Roberts climbed the window and started walking on the ledge, wich was over 10 stories high, until she reached the corner of the building, and stood there, theatening to jump. A crowd gathered in the stre and started screaming. Gene heard the noise, and opened the kitchen window, only to see Rachel a few steps away, ready to jump. She of course had none of it and gave Rachel a piece of her mind, but to no avail. Rachel stood there, lifting her skirt and swearing at the crowd, until the firemen got her back inside. Gene then showed her the door, and sat by herself with her cucumber sandwiches in front of the tv, to watch 'what's my line'.

by Anonymousreply 43March 12, 2018 10:27 PM

I think she was a man. I really do think so.

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2018 3:19 AM

The Tony Randall Show was great, and she was great in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2018 3:22 AM

OP, corgis don't act like that. The story does sound just like Robert Mitchum, though -- he was good with animals.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2018 3:42 AM

[quote] Rex Harrison was a piece of shit, wasn't he?

Two of his women killed themselves. He had a butler that he treated so badly, the butler pointed a shotgun at Rex

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2018 4:06 AM

Here's everything you want to know about that bastard rex harrison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2018 4:08 AM

Rachel Roberts: About That Time She Masturbated A Dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2018 4:12 AM

Didn't Glenn Close get her big break on Broadway after Roberts was fired from some play and Glennie took over her role?

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2018 4:19 AM

Don't forget Picnic at Hanging Rock, her greatest movie.

It's true she was a notorious lush, and was thrown out of the best restaurants in LA.

It's possible she got the Lye mixed up with the Rye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2018 4:24 AM

she.was.mentally.ill

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2018 4:38 AM

R13, she had hind legs?

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2018 4:45 AM

The "wasn't having it" troll is my new favorite DL meme. I hope you start other threads with these juicy true'ish stories!

by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2018 4:53 AM

Wow, she looks a lot like an older "P!nk" in some pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2018 4:59 AM

No, Pink looks like a younger RR.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2018 6:00 AM

R54 thanks but there are several of us, which is even funnier

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2018 8:01 AM

A fellow Welsh actress called Helen Griffin took her one woman show Who's Afraid of Rachel Roberts? to the Edinburgh festival a few years ago and it was very good, excruciating at times thanks to the subject matter.

The drunken escapade she's most famous for in the UK is as below. Sadly not as famous as Grace Jones attacking Russell Harty (RIP from AIDS xx) or the incident with Rod Hull and Emu.

[quote]Her appearance on the Russell Harty chat show was so drunken the tapes had to be expunged. During recording she called Harty "a silly cunt", slagged off women's libbers (apparently all they needed was "a cock up their cunt or their arse") and proceeded to sing The Lady is a Tramp while the studio audience weren't having an of it and roundly booed her. The tapes of the recording were subsequently destroyed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2018 8:42 AM

RR gives new meaning to the British term for "insane": barking mad.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2018 11:50 AM

I remember the story @R30. It was in every paper. Apparently Rachel wanted to get hammered and offered to fuck both Wagner and Walken. When they declined, she took the dinghy to sail to the Reef Harbour, the only restaurant this side of the island that served alcohol. Natalie wanted to follow suit, but she missed the step and hit the water. Roberts couldn't care less and started paddling to the shore. Wagner and Walken were having none of it, and lectured Roberts about carelessness, and not helping people in danger, but to no avail. Roberts flipped her finger and paddled away.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2018 6:40 PM

You don't have to make up 'to no avail' scenarios with our Rachel - her life was over the top fucked up in reality. Like Gloria Grahame or Vivien Leigh fucked up.

"...in 1980 - overdosing on Nembutals, Mogadons and an unidentified acid solution - her corpse was found covered in lacerations. In her suicidal state she had wandered through rose bushes in her garden before crashing through a glass screen in her kitchen. She was discovered dead on her kitchen floor with the kettle still boiling."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 2, 2018 7:38 AM

In the book "Did She or Didn't She?" (a gossipy book about different actresses' sex lives) they say Roberts once got miffed that photographers weren't paying attention to her at a party.

She reportedly jumped up on a table, hiked up her dress and demanded, [italic]"Why don't you take pictures of MY PUSSY?!" [/italic]

I suspect alcohol was involved...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 2, 2018 8:04 AM

I loved when she fought Burgess Meredith in "Foul Play" (1978).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 2, 2018 8:11 AM

R58, Harty is buried in the churchyard of St. Alkelda, Giggleswick.

by Anonymousreply 64April 2, 2018 8:37 AM

Amazing actress, always elevated anything she appeared in. Definitely fucked up though.

by Anonymousreply 65April 2, 2018 9:59 AM

R61, since you killed all the fun in this thread, she was not very good, nor well known, apart from yourself and 3 DL fossils, nobody knows or cares who she was, znd you are a humorless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 66April 2, 2018 10:59 AM

If BURTON is writing about your drunkenness, you're a world-class drunk, darling.

by Anonymousreply 67April 2, 2018 11:31 AM

I remember her performance in "This Sporting Life," as a life-denying woman involved with Richard Harris, as quite devastating.

by Anonymousreply 68April 2, 2018 11:01 PM

Bitch sounds like my friend Julie. Such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 69April 2, 2018 11:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!