Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The dance marathon episode of The Golden Girls

When Rose does does her solo dance and starts doing flips and splits, something never looked right to me. After many years and multiple viewings, I think I’ve finally got it figured out.

It wasn’t really Betty White in that scene. I think they used a stunt double dancer.

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2018 10:55 PM

****eyeroll****

by Anonymousreply 1March 3, 2018 5:45 PM

This is probably my least favorite of those "vignette" episodes, partly because of the cringeworthy Betty White stunt double, but I do love Dorothy's response to her dancing partner when he tells her he has a charlie horse: "SHAKE IT OFF, WIMP!"

by Anonymousreply 2March 3, 2018 5:53 PM

No it was really. Betty famously did all of her own stunts.

by Anonymousreply 3March 3, 2018 6:01 PM

Betty's double doesn't have anything on the double they would occasionally use for Jessica on Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 4March 3, 2018 6:11 PM

It took many years and multiple viewings?

by Anonymousreply 5March 3, 2018 6:13 PM

OP doesn't know it but he's channeling Rose Nylund to the T.

by Anonymousreply 6March 3, 2018 6:14 PM

[quote]Betty's double doesn't have anything on the double they would occasionally use for Jessica on Murder, She Wrote.

I love the scene where Jessica jumps on a motorbike and does the whole "follow that car!" (to the motor bike guy) and you see her stunt double driving off on said motor bike and even briefly putting her foot on the ground for balance.

by Anonymousreply 7March 3, 2018 6:23 PM

[quote]OP doesn't know it but he's channeling Rose Nylund to the T.

Not exactly. Rose would have needed some snarky remark by Dorothy, Blanche, or Sophia to finally make the penny drop.

by Anonymousreply 8March 3, 2018 6:27 PM

[quote]charlie horse

The expression is "CHARLEY horse."

by Anonymousreply 9March 3, 2018 6:39 PM

What compounds the pain of watching this episode is the close-up of Rose after the stunt-double thing, acting so smug after having done those dance moves.

by Anonymousreply 10March 3, 2018 6:40 PM

Rose's dance partner Dave pinged to the heavens.

by Anonymousreply 11March 3, 2018 6:41 PM

I always thought that pinging to high heaven was a requirement to be one of those ladies' date for an episode.

That and to have a rug.

by Anonymousreply 12March 3, 2018 6:48 PM

I did all my own cartwheels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 3, 2018 6:55 PM

It was nice of Witt-Thomas-Harris to give the dad from Mork & MIndy a part so that he could keep up his SAAG benefits.

by Anonymousreply 14March 3, 2018 7:23 PM

When I got a Charley Horse I shook it off, no problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 3, 2018 9:59 PM

I love how in her ending splits, the stunt double places her hand atop her head, which serves to both cover her face and keep her very obvious wig from falling off.

by Anonymousreply 16March 3, 2018 10:19 PM

Can we discuss GG inconsistencies here? I've seen other TV shows' inconsistencies discussed on DL, but never GG. I'll start. I was watching some season 1 eps on hulu, and in at least two episodes before Rose's mother Alma comes for a visit, Rose has some dialogue that implies her mother had died (e.g., looking at some earrings, Rose says "they belonged to mother"). That kind of shit bothers me, because it shows laziness on the part of the writers. Any other inconsistencies?

by Anonymousreply 17March 3, 2018 11:25 PM

r17 You can NOT be serious.

by Anonymousreply 18March 4, 2018 12:21 AM

The blatantly obvious stunt double is what makes that bit so funny. What does piss me off every time I see that episode is the fact nobody showed Mindy's father how to count the band off when he starts the orchestra. He doesn't get the tempo right nor the count off. Also the way Bea says "maestro" pronouncing it My-a-stro. Kind of like anytime she pronounces margarita as Mar-gyew-reetuh or diaper as Di-a-per. Weird.

Yes. I watch it way too much. But you asked.

by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2018 1:01 AM

R15 Yvonne looks like she's sitting on a secret.

by Anonymousreply 20March 4, 2018 1:20 AM

They should have made the stunt double look fuller and older. They should have used the same hair dye as Rose from the discount bin at the Piggly-Wiggly on the wig.

by Anonymousreply 21March 4, 2018 1:25 AM

What sexual favor(s) did Blanche promise that guy to make him dump his dance partner and become her partner?

by Anonymousreply 22March 4, 2018 1:29 AM

[quote]What sexual favor(s) did Blanche promise that guy to make him dump his dance partner and become her partner?

...twice.

by Anonymousreply 23March 4, 2018 1:31 AM

Redundant thread without supporting evidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 4, 2018 1:32 AM

Was Judy Landers Rose's dance double?

by Anonymousreply 25March 4, 2018 1:34 AM

Blanche enticed the guy with the promise of doing the Flying Dutchman’s Chair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 4, 2018 1:36 AM

R19, the housekeeper's name was Marguerite, which Dorothy mispronounces as mar-gyoo-reet.

by Anonymousreply 27March 4, 2018 1:40 AM

I always hated the way Dorosee mispronounced names.

by Anonymousreply 28March 4, 2018 1:42 AM

If only there were an entire thread dedicated to GG inconsistencies, R17

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2018 1:33 AM

OP , no shit Sherlock.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2018 1:44 AM

Did they use a stunt double for Rue when they showed just her feet?

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2018 2:34 AM

Betty Blanca was actually the first female stunt actor so her doing backflips to piss off Beatrice and Rue didnt surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2018 2:42 AM

Lmao, at that scene. Did they pin the dress to the wig? The obvious double only adds to the hilarity tbh.

by Anonymousreply 33March 5, 2018 3:45 AM

Did that marathon take place at the Mortimer Club?

by Anonymousreply 34March 5, 2018 3:57 AM

Rose does the "charley horse":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 5, 2018 9:54 AM

The actor who played Dave was a very hot dancer on Broadway and TV in his younger years. He died of AIDS a few years after this episode.

by Anonymousreply 36March 5, 2018 11:28 AM

r33 Yes!!!! I've laughed about that for years. Great way to disguise the stunt double's face--NOT!

by Anonymousreply 37March 5, 2018 1:51 PM

R35 Rue was flexible.

by Anonymousreply 38March 5, 2018 2:51 PM

However, the next season, Blanche was not able to do dirty dancing because, as Rose put it, she's awkward when it comes to her body. So was Blanche a good dancer or not?

by Anonymousreply 39March 5, 2018 2:53 PM

😂😂😂😂 have now watched this seven times and I'm sorry, but the best part of the scene is NOT Betty and her stunt double, but Dorothy getting all confident and then making her way to the dance floor, shaking that finger with "In the Mood" raring up!!! She wins the scene HANDS DOWN!!

by Anonymousreply 40March 5, 2018 4:09 PM

Bea stole just about every scene she was ever in.

by Anonymousreply 41March 5, 2018 4:14 PM

Not to threadjack, but just discovered this thread and am perplexed as to why the posts of R33 and R40 are crossed out and '"Right wing talking points propagandist" in red brackets stamped on it? Neither of those posts is offensive, never mind right-wing in relevance.

by Anonymousreply 42March 20, 2018 3:46 PM

R19/R28 Dorothy/Bea had an unusual way of pronouncing things. I hated the way she said Mario Lopez's first name, like 'Mary-O." She also said 'advertisement' the British way. I don't know any Americans who pronounce it like she did, unless they're being ironic or pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 43March 20, 2018 3:49 PM

Bea had a highly stylized approach to acting. Just very larger than life. It came from her musical theater background. Rue had a theater background too, and could be OTT as well. But she is not a booming presence like Bea, so it wasn't as always blatant. Betty mugged more for the camera, which reflected her mostly TV background.

by Anonymousreply 44March 20, 2018 3:54 PM

They should have gotten a stunt double for Dorthy, that woman can't dance.

by Anonymousreply 45March 20, 2018 4:06 PM

r42 I assume it has to do with other, more offensive posts the person has placed elsewhere on DL.

by Anonymousreply 46March 20, 2018 4:57 PM

R43, I just watched an episode of Maude that begins with her, Walter, Arthur and Viv in Mexico. Bea orders the table a round of "Mar-gyure-itas." I laughed and immediately thought of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 47March 20, 2018 5:15 PM

R46 thanks!

by Anonymousreply 48March 20, 2018 5:27 PM

Dorothy did have a problem pronouncing names. I think that's why she tried to just refer to everyone as "Hun-NEE"

by Anonymousreply 49March 20, 2018 5:54 PM

In some of the early episodes, you can hear Bea pronouncing "Blanche" as "Bla-onche".

by Anonymousreply 50March 20, 2018 6:22 PM

[quote]What compounds the pain of watching this episode is the close-up of Rose after the stunt-double thing, acting so smug after having done those dance moves

And watching the double end the routine in a full, perfectly straight split just to have the camera shots cut to Betty in a quarter split with a very bent back leg and her crotch nowhere near the floor.

by Anonymousreply 51March 20, 2018 6:54 PM

R51 like the difference in June and Louise's respective splits in GYPSY?

by Anonymousreply 52March 20, 2018 8:19 PM

Bea was jealous of Betty. Betty was everything Bea wasn't but wanted to be.

by Anonymousreply 53March 20, 2018 8:25 PM

I was convinced it was a man in a Rose wig.

by Anonymousreply 54March 21, 2018 1:04 AM

Just wait until OP realizes that there were two Darrins on Bewitched.

by Anonymousreply 55March 21, 2018 1:14 AM

[quote]from the discount bin at the Piggly-Wiggly

It was Pick n Save

by Anonymousreply 56March 21, 2018 1:24 AM

"They should have gotten a stunt double for Dorthy, that woman can't dance."

Shady Pines, ma.

by Anonymousreply 57March 21, 2018 1:41 AM

I had a dream about Barbara Thorndyke last night. I was at a book signing for her new novel, "How Devastating the Ebola That Swept Through Pensacola", and she was eating a mallomar as she signed the book. I asked her how she could eat and sign a book at the same time, and she replied that having a pen in one hand and eating a mallomar with the other is a metaphor for literature's attempt to triumph over the trashy celebrity culture we consume like empty calories. What do you think it all means?

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2018 4:26 PM

R58 It could be sexual. Did she ask salt in Latin?

by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2018 4:41 PM

R55 Two Darrins? C’mon, now you’re just being silly.

by Anonymousreply 60March 22, 2018 5:45 PM

It could be functional...mental, R58.

by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2018 6:23 PM

The Rusty Anchor is now THE current meeting place for Miami's literary intelligentsia.

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2018 6:41 PM

R58, are you the same person who had the dream about The Facts of Life where Natalie was dead and somone sent a note with a Charlie Chaplin cane to her funeral? If so, I'm a fan.

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2018 7:24 PM

Did Park Overall ever guest star on GG? Everyone else from Empty Nest did, but I have no reccollection of Laverne ever popping in.

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2018 7:29 PM

^Yes, she appeared on the chronic fatigue syndrome episode at the start of season 5. She appeared when Dorothy was talking to Harry in his office. I don't believe she appeared again during the GG run.

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2018 7:36 PM

Thanks, R65, totally forgot about that, as I get so distracted by all the cue card reading in that episode

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2018 10:42 PM

I can't stop laughing at R62!

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2018 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!