Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Buys Timeshares Anymore?

I never understood their appeal. You never really “own” the unit, it’s just like staying at a hotel or corporate apartment. Why would you want to be tied to the same place year after year after year?

by Anonymousreply 50December 20, 2018 11:26 PM

I never got them either. And for people who do have them, they all bitch about the blackout dates and it just seems like a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 1March 2, 2018 1:26 AM

Lower middle class and unsophisticated people.

by Anonymousreply 2March 2, 2018 1:27 AM

It always seems like it's the people who shouldn't be speanding money to go anyplace, are the people who have these things.

by Anonymousreply 3March 2, 2018 1:38 AM

I have yet to meet a single person happy with buying a time share. They will suck the money right out of you.

I went to few sale pitches in my time. The whole point system seemed so complicated that I knew I would hate it if I bought one. Things are made overly complicated specifically to make it hard.

by Anonymousreply 4March 2, 2018 1:42 AM

It’s so they can “brag” to their friends and family that they “have a place in” whatever location it’s in. I’ve been to a few resorts in Mexico where they give you the hard sell to buy into it and I’ve never fallen for it, although I see plenty of others who do. Old people especially, since they want something they can leave to their family. Yes, they can be deeded like property.

by Anonymousreply 5March 2, 2018 1:43 AM

It's a way to measure dumbass-ness. If someone says we have a time share or they say I voted for Trump - now you know what you are dealing with. A valid like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 6March 2, 2018 1:57 AM

There are actually a bunch of businesses to get people OUT of their timeshares. It’s a growth industry!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 2, 2018 2:03 AM

My parents have friends who bought a time share via the Marriott. They can go to any Marriott place via the time share - yet they only ever went to Orlando. They loved it. They loved Orlando. I never got the appeal. They owned the timeshare for 25 years. They could only go for couple weeks out of the year as per their timeshare rules. My mother actually went to stay at their timeshare in the fall and while it was nice, it was also expensive for them to go. Both are now deceased and their son just inherited the timeshare a couple months ago. I'm sure he will unload the place. It just seems like a waste of money. They still had to pay monthly for it, "maintenance fees" plus they had to pay when they wanted to use it. So what's the point of the initial investment?

by Anonymousreply 8March 2, 2018 2:03 AM

Exactly r8 - just pay for a hotel!

by Anonymousreply 9March 2, 2018 2:11 AM

But, but, but you know where your safe place will be during your allotted 2.73 week window. It's not like hotels where they might give you a bad room with butt sweat on the comforter and herpes on the toilet seat.

by Anonymousreply 10March 2, 2018 2:14 AM

I really don't even remotely like the idea. I'd sooner go in on a small condo with friends a la Grace and Frankie.

Was recently in Puerto Vallarta and they have people there who prey on tourists, trying to get you to stop and talk to them about time shares. I was warned so I avoided it, but you literally have to not acknowledge them in any way, shape or form, no matter what they say.

(If I had a nickel for every asshole at the airport who tried to stop us to talk about timeshares, as well as every asshole who asked us if we needed a taxi, the trip would have paid for itself.)

by Anonymousreply 11March 2, 2018 2:16 AM

My neighbours in their mid 60s bought a timeshare in St. Martin (or St, Maarten ir whatever) - they were on a Queen Mary cruisee for 2 weejs and somehow got suckered into this glamourous con and bought a timeshare, They could only go every 2 years. They bought 2 condo apartments side by side.

They are not wealthy. But no debts, Anyway, he plunk down $56,000 for these 2 condos. They boasted about for years to anyone who would listen. But soon, they started getting demands for highly questionable "upgrades". In the 2 years leading up to the major hurricane of Sept 2017, he refused to pay for these outrageous maintenance fees. So they stopped using the timeshare or were likely barred from using it until they paid up.

Anyway, in the aftermath of the Sept 2017 hurricane, the resort timeshare was decimated. Things escalated with my neighbour unable to get a straight answer from the company about the condition of the condos. I think he knew that to hire a lawyer and fight would cost him more than the timeshare investment.

Long story short, my neighbours are out of pocket $56,000. They are quiet about it now. The wife is pissed off about the financial loss but the husband keeps telling her to forget it. They just bought a cottage 3 years ago off the coast in Canada - and it's a rundown little shack. Since the purchase, he's been gradually losing mobility in his legs and can't even walk a block now. And the cotage is all stairs.

I can see another loss coming up on the horizon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 2, 2018 2:33 AM

I can’t imagine being so stupid

by Anonymousreply 13March 2, 2018 7:50 PM

Too many people buy homes, second homes and things that they cannot afford.

Most people cannot truly afford a boat, for example - they may be able to swing the initial payment, but the upkeep is beyond them, and it's a huge investment for something that many people only use a handful of times a year.

Timeshares were designed, I think, to prey on that need to show off......the kind of bad decision making that is so endemic in our culture.

by Anonymousreply 14March 2, 2018 7:51 PM

You rarely see wealthy people buying timeshares.

by Anonymousreply 15March 2, 2018 7:55 PM

My folks bought a timeshare about a million years ago, $5000. I'm sure there were probably some annual fees or something. They used it for 20 years, 2 weeks in Palm Springs and 2 weeks in Las Vegas every year like clock work. They liked it.

But it is a scam, no doubt.

The timeshare trolls at Puerto Vallarta Airport AKA the shark tank are famous. Fun Fact, the timeshare company practically paid for the construction of the airport in order to get that prime real estate. They recently paid for the airport upgrade as well.

by Anonymousreply 16March 2, 2018 7:57 PM

I used to love goIng to PV, but haven’t been in years. But I did learn, from the locals, is whenever you’re approached by the timeshare sharks to tell them “yo vivo acqui”. (I live here). Works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 17March 2, 2018 8:00 PM

[quote] You rarely see wealthy people buying timeshares.

Yeah, it's surprising to see that people like Elon Musk don't send their assistants to buy them a place that will be shared with Herb and Judy Deplorable from Bumfucke, IA.

by Anonymousreply 18March 2, 2018 8:01 PM

[quote] Fun Fact, the timeshare company practically paid for the construction of the airport in order to get that prime real estate. They recently paid for the airport upgrade as well.

That totally makes sense. PV is not especially rich so it would make sense that there would be other sources of investment.

by Anonymousreply 19March 2, 2018 8:06 PM

I considered it briefly at one time, until I realized that the annual maintenance fees were probably more than I'd spend on a hotel for a week. I guess it might make sense if you had a large family and needed a two-bedroom unit with a kitchen, but not for me. What I do now (I'm retired) is rent a place on VRBO for a month every summer -- and I have a LOT more options to choose from in terms of location and type of accommodation.

by Anonymousreply 20March 2, 2018 9:09 PM

See the documentary Queen of Versailles about the deplorable businessman David Siegel, who runs a timeshare company in Vegas. You'll get a good idea of the kind of unsophisticated, lower middle class people these companies prey upon, and the type of person who does that for profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2018 10:38 PM

I agree they are mostly a bad investment, but I don't agree that the people who buy them are looking to show off. I think they just like the idea of being able to go to all these different places on vacation, of course not realizing at the time that it isn't as easy to go where you want when you want.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2018 10:43 PM

Rule of thumb: if something is really a good value it sells itself. You don't need high pressure sales people and confusing gimmicks.

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2018 10:44 PM

R21, that’s one of my favorite documentaries. So many layers. I could discuss it for hours.

And to your point, yes.

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2018 10:45 PM

If you buy a timeshare, you can get like free tickets to a show or something.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2018 11:23 PM

[quote]See the documentary Queen of Versailles about the deplorable businessman David Siegel, who runs a timeshare company in Vegas. You'll get a good idea of the kind of unsophisticated, lower middle class people these companies prey upon, and the type of person who does that for profit.

He owns (or owned) the Westgate hotel in Las Vegas, which seems to be one giant timeshare pitch with hotel rooms on top of it. Plenty of reviews from people who say you can't approach or get off an elevator without a timeshare vulture swooping in.

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2018 11:28 PM

[quote]If you buy a timeshare, you can get like free tickets to a show or something.

You know you don't actually have to BUY the timeshare to get tickets, right?

by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2018 2:12 AM

my mom, a total waste of money

by Anonymousreply 28March 3, 2018 2:19 AM

[quote]You know you don't actually have to BUY the timeshare to get tickets, right?

Now you tell me.

by Anonymousreply 29March 3, 2018 2:45 AM

if you live on the east coast and want to spend a limited amount of time on a beach area like Provincetown or lewes, DE you might consider a time-share.

by Anonymousreply 30March 3, 2018 2:48 AM

Does anyone know how the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) works? I understand it to be some kind of a time share as well. I know someone who got involved in it, at the beginning all she did was talk about how great it is, now nothing. But I see how the DVC sticker is a staple on all the frau's minivans.

by Anonymousreply 31March 3, 2018 3:16 AM

Who wants to go in with me on a Rentboy timeshare?

by Anonymousreply 32March 3, 2018 5:45 AM

Sorry if that gets too deep or too philosophical, but are people still willing to share anything with others? I mean in this cultural climate people use any excuse to hate, or at least resent, other people. Timeshare would imply that people are ok with other people "owning" and using the same space as you.

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2018 9:00 AM

^ I guess the whole "share economy" is slipping past your radar. Are you one of those people who thinks everything is "getting worse today than when I was a kid" even when many things have actually improved?

The success of AirBnB shows that people are perfectly fine with sharing space.

Timeshares are a straight con.

by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2018 4:46 PM

It harks back to the days before plane travel and car travel.

People would spend their whole lives going to the same vacation destination at the same time, because jobs were not flexible, and you had a limited time.

I recall watching Steptoe and Son and the son wants to go all over Europe but old man Steptoe wants to go to the rooming house by the beach he's been going to, every single year, since he was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2018 5:26 PM

OP, did you be any chance start this thread while watching Rachel Maddow the other night? I saw you posted this shortly I saw the ad for that time share rescue company during her show. That ad infuriates me. "We didn't have time any more to visit our timeshare any time we want now that we have a BABEEE wahwahwah." You Since when can you visit your timeshare any time you want? You can only use it during the time period (week, usually) you "own."

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2018 5:36 PM

R9 Those businesses are scams, too.

My mother's late husband stuck her with a couplle and she couldn't figure out how to unload them. She lost money to a business that was supposed to sell them but didn't.

She finally just quit paying annual fees on one of them. The other one she still has because it's fairly easy to change destinations.

by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2018 8:42 PM

It seems universally agreed that they are scams and/or waste of money; so we do they still exist?

by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2018 9:01 PM

R38 because dumb people or alcoholics or whatever r38.

The lottery is also a scam. Yet dumb people fund it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2018 9:07 PM

In the case of my neighbours - Dumb, uneducated, alcoholic and drugs, r38. Plus major marital issues. She wants his money and her freedom (eventally).

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2018 10:40 PM

r38 Timeshares, along with MLM schemes (Amway, etc.) do well among less well-educated people, as well as very religious folks -- the theory being if they'll buy what religion is selling, they're gonna believe pretty much anything.

by Anonymousreply 41March 4, 2018 12:34 AM

[quote]because dumb people or alcoholics or whatever

So funny because my mother's dead husband was an alcoholic. She tells people he died of early-onset Alzheimer's but I think it was plain old alcohol dementia.

For two years after his death she found odd things he had bought. Some gold coins, for example, that she sold for $11,000 but we both suspect he paid far more. Drunks are a scammers delight.

by Anonymousreply 42March 4, 2018 12:52 AM

We own one in Orlando that we bought from a relative in order to bail her out of a financial jam. We've had it now for over 20 years. I would say that overall it isn't worth it but we have used it to go to some good trips. Anyway I could write a book about it, but in case any of you out there are considering one, here are two things I doubt they tell you up front when you sign on: 1) if the resort decides to upgrade or remodel the unit, you can get hit with an assessment to pay for your share of it; 2) they may unilaterally change the procedures/rules for trading off for another resort; when we first bought ours they had what's called a "week system" and later switched to an incomprehensible "point system".

by Anonymousreply 43March 7, 2018 12:54 PM

The disney vacation club works on a point system. You buy into a resort (limited choices, at any given time it's a handful of various Disney resorts). You buy "points". A week at a resort costs a certain amount of points. You can save up your points to stay at the Polynesian. You can sell your points. You can use the points for the disney cruise and I think the Aulani resort in Hawaii. You can also use the points at random hotels all over the country that are not disney. How it was explained to me is, the people bought their points "once", at the beginning, and the points renew every year. You can "borrow" points from a future year. So basically these ppl think their hotel is "free" bc it was paid for a long time ago. It's never interested me enough to go for it. Also, we "own" a site at beach resort close to home. It's kind of the same concept: we own the home outright, but we pay an annual fee. The difference: It's OURS, we can go whenever we want, every wknd, weeks at a time, whatever. Can't do that w a timeshare.

by Anonymousreply 44March 7, 2018 1:27 PM

Oh, dear. I think r30 bought a time share. I wonder if the share economy (as r34 points out) will eventually decimate the whole concept of a timeshare. Personally I do not like either option but clearly AirBnB is a better one.

by Anonymousreply 45March 7, 2018 2:00 PM

I just got home from a Wyndham timeshare meeting and my God do they turn on the pressure. I was only supposed to be there for 2 hours and ended up staying over 4. All I wanted to do was get the fuck out of there. I admit there are certain features about it that are very appealing (being able to stay in any of their many resorts around the world) but I ultimately told them it was not for me. I just don't want the extra debt. Of course, the more you tell them that, the more they come back with "But it'll pay for itself!" I don't give a fuck if it will "pay for itself" or not, I don't want another $300 bill to pay each month. And maybe it would inspire you to travel more (the other point they kept harping on), which would be nice, but what if I get sick or lose my job? You mean in addition to my rent and utilities and food, I'd now have to worry about paying the bill on some fucking timeshare that I'd probably end up using once a year? I don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2018 7:31 PM

R46, we had a similar experience with Hilton's (HGV) timeshares. Actually, I've sat through the presentations twice. First time was quick as they let us go when it was evident that we were not interested. It went so well that we decided to do it again when they called a few years later. This time, though, the salesman (nice guy) was very persistent and began to get pushy. It was about 4-5 hours before we were cleared to leave. Still, for the cheap room rate that we got for that stay, sitting through the presentation was worth it.

Timeshares are not buying/sharing the same place anymore. Instead of buying a place, you're reserving a stay at their resorts and hotels around the world. As stated, it's all through points. Sure it probably would pay for itself if used enough. But, as we pointed out to the salesman, I live in the midwest and none of their locations are within a decent drive. So, plane tickets, car rental, etc would have to be added to my expense. (Yes, they offer deals for that.)

If you have time and money to travel a lot, it could be worth it. Friends of mine just got back from Italy where they stayed with his sister's family at a HGV resort with their timeshare points. Last year, they all went to Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2018 8:57 PM

My sister and her friend both have timeshares. They plan at least 18 months in advance to reserve their timeshare. They are able to trade their timeshare through RCI for another location. This works if you can make plans way in advance or if you're retired and not working. It's not convenient for most working people because most of the time, the timeshares are already reserved especially in the summer or holidays.

Sharing your timeshare with hundreds of thousands of other people is not exactly "owning" anything. However, my sister is able to use hers and get her money's worth because it takes planning. My brother bought a timeshare and he never used it.

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2018 9:35 PM

Cant you achieve the same basic thing by simply putting what youd pay for the timeshare and the monthly assessment into an online bank account, call that your “point system” and go to whatever hotel you want when you want?

by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2018 9:46 PM

My ex-husband Stanley is the only person I know who owns a timeshare dog.

by Anonymousreply 50December 20, 2018 11:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!