Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Worst Comic Book Artists

Which comic book artists did you absolutely hate growing up?

I’ll start:

Don Heck. In the 80s, you always knew your favorite comic book was on the verge of cancellation if Don Heck was added as series artist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2018 3:16 PM

Jose Delbo - he was the main illustrator for Wonder Woman starting around 1975 and for the next 8 years. Awful. All of his characters were thick and slack jawed, including WW herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2018 2:13 AM

most of the 90s image b list

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2018 2:49 AM

Frank Quitely. Is he on your list r2? Good night, he's awful. He ruined a good story line for The Authority by Mark Millar with terrible art.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2018 2:56 AM

Don Heck was the first name I thought of when I saw the thread title, before I even read OP's post. I remember as a kid I loved Teen Titans, but I hated when he drew it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 1, 2018 4:07 AM

The horrible 90s art is what made me give up on comics for a while.

by Anonymousreply 5March 1, 2018 4:09 AM

I know he's a "legend" but when I was a kid, I loved the concept of DIAL 'H' DOR HERO...but I thought his art was butt-ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 1, 2018 4:26 AM

Sienkewicz ruined New Mutants.

by Anonymousreply 7March 1, 2018 4:37 AM

Sekowsky

by Anonymousreply 8March 1, 2018 4:41 AM

Jack Kirby. I have more appreciation for his art now, but when I read the "classics", his characters were so [italic]blocky[/italic]. And their fingers resembled sausages.

by Anonymousreply 9March 1, 2018 4:47 AM

Yeah, he’s bad.

by Anonymousreply 10March 1, 2018 5:08 AM

Cecilia Giménez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 1, 2018 5:30 AM

Jack Kamen

by Anonymousreply 12March 1, 2018 5:35 AM

Sienkewicz - oh Lord, how I hated him. Such a hack, so overrated. And a piss-poor fit for the Mutants.

What Keith Giffen morphed into post-Crisis on Infinite Earths made me want to puke. EVERY character had that squished square face, weird mouths, just awful. I hadn't realized how much his Legion inkers had been carrying his water prior to that.

by Anonymousreply 13March 1, 2018 5:49 AM

Rob Liefeld. There can’t be anyone worse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 1, 2018 5:58 AM

Ric Estrada. All of his characters looked like stiff window display mannequins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 1, 2018 11:46 AM

George Tuska. Infamous for giving Iron Man a nose. I think he also illustrated the syndicated Justice League newspaper comic strip in the 70s. I remember being all excited for it until I saw the actual artwork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 1, 2018 11:51 AM

George Tuska didn't give Iron Man a nose. Marketing did.

A lot of you are blaming artists for editorial dictums (Estrada's Wonder Woman was supposed to evoke the Golden Age) or bad inkers (Vince Colletta).

Even guys like Jackson "Butch" Guice can produce good work now and then.

But Ethan van Sciver is a Nazi prick. He is the worst comic book artist morally.

by Anonymousreply 17March 1, 2018 11:57 AM

[quote]Sienkewicz ruined New Mutants.

Loved his stuff. Hated Heck, though. And I didn't come to appreciate Kirby until the last few years. The hands-down worst for me was Frank Robbins, a cartoonist who took over Captain America at one point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 1, 2018 11:58 AM

Agree with you about Frank Quietly, r3. I never acquired a taste for his particular style. And all of his characters looked like they had a disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2018 12:08 PM

I have a soft spot for Carmine Infantino, r6. I loved his stint on Spider Woman especially.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2018 12:21 PM

Ric Estrada was just plain bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 1, 2018 12:26 PM

I diasagree. Estrada could do very good work. He was not suited for superheroes, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 1, 2018 12:31 PM

Don Heck before he became of the Marvel machine was really very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 1, 2018 12:38 PM

Whoever it was that took over Harley Quinn's first run and drew her like a starfish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2018 12:45 PM

Wayne Boring (DC - he could make flying look...well, boring)

Herb Trimpe (Marvel - Hulk no like the way you draw me! Am not that blocky. Hulk smash!)

Rob Liefeld - (Tits are not a super power)

Frank Quietly - (why does everyone look like they've just sucked on a lemon)

Joe Staton (aka Robbins/Estrada etc....)

by Anonymousreply 25March 1, 2018 12:58 PM

r25 I've always thought that Wayne Boring was the most aptly named artist.

by Anonymousreply 26March 1, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote]Rob Liefeld. There can’t be anyone worse.

My favorite Liefeld atrocity:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 1, 2018 1:18 PM

Though the jump between New Mutants 17 and 18 was startling, I welcomed it. Bill Sienkiewicz perfectly fit the dark storylines that Claremont had in store for Xavier's second string. This final image in NM#18 made me an instant fan. I had been reading NM from the beginning and I was totally on board for the change in tone Sienkiewicz had brought.

(my only complaint with this particular image was that the kids all ran from the mansion as a group but the image has them approaching Danielle from different directions)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2018 1:40 PM

Jack Abel. He was mostly an inker but he did some (poor) pencilling work in the late 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2018 1:42 PM

Or maybe I just liked him because he managed to make Sam Guthrie hot.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2018 1:43 PM

[quote]What Keith Giffen morphed into post-Crisis on Infinite Earths made me want to puke.

Yeah, Giffen has gotten progressively worse over the years. Same with Frank Miller -- loved his Daredevil stuff but his work over the last decade or two has been just painfully bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2018 1:48 PM

Steve Ditko seemed perfect in the early 1960's still with the Bob Kane style of the 1940's but in the 1980's looked very dated, he's still alive and hates Stan Lee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2018 2:06 PM

It seems like most of the top artists go downhill as they get older. John Byrne was at the top of his game in the late 70s/early 80s, but even with the late 80s Superman, he started running on fumes.

by Anonymousreply 33March 1, 2018 2:55 PM

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster weren't so hot

by Anonymousreply 34March 1, 2018 4:14 PM

Jack Abel had been pencilling for a long time before that, mostly on war titles.

by Anonymousreply 35March 1, 2018 4:38 PM

R18 - you are correct...Robbins was the absolute worst. Even Don Heck doesn’t seem so bad by comparison!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 1, 2018 6:15 PM

Chris Marrinan had the unenviable task of following George Perez as series artist of Wonder Woman in the late 80s. He was a talented artist but probably ill suited to this particular character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 1, 2018 7:35 PM

I always hated the work of Curt Swan though he was long considered THE iconic Superman artist, maybe still is. There was something very square and overly wholesome about his work, which I suppose fits this square, overly wholesome super hero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 1, 2018 7:39 PM

chris wozniak... horrible

by Anonymousreply 39March 1, 2018 7:50 PM

Curt Swan was an extremely skilled illustrator but pretty bland and boring, r38.

by Anonymousreply 40March 1, 2018 8:00 PM

I enjoyed Keith Giffen on Legion but yeah his artwork morphed over time into something that came off as smug...if that’s possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 1, 2018 8:08 PM

Kenneth Rocafort‘s art for OUTLAWS, the Starfire/Red Hood book that no one needed or asked for, was utterly painful. Critical opinion was not as kind as I’m being.

Thankfully the writing was no less abysmal, so at least the book had continuity of sorts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 1, 2018 10:01 PM

Heck was a hack. Liefield is a nightmare. Couldn't stand John Byne. Of recent artists Brett Brune and Rocafort are both awful.

by Anonymousreply 43March 1, 2018 10:07 PM

Brett Booth is awful. Doesn't know basic storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 44March 1, 2018 10:18 PM

Curt Swan wasn’t always boring

by Anonymousreply 45March 1, 2018 10:49 PM

Curt’s Superman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 1, 2018 10:51 PM

At a certain point John Byrne lost the ability to draw the human neck.

by Anonymousreply 47March 1, 2018 10:57 PM

I loved Byrne on Fantastic Four and Superman. Things went downhill from there and he seems kind of crazy now.

by Anonymousreply 48March 2, 2018 12:04 AM

When I was a kid I hated Sienkiewicz on NEW MUTANTS, but now when I look at that run, it was pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 49March 2, 2018 12:32 AM

r48 - if you told me in 1980 that John Byrne would one day be illustrating Wonder Woman, my young gay self probably would have exploded in joy.

Suffering Sappho - what a letdown!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 2, 2018 3:35 PM

[quote]Steve Ditko seemed perfect in the early 1960's still with the Bob Kane style of the 1940's but in the 1980's looked very dated, he's still alive and hates Stan Lee

With good reason.

This is such a great thread. Nice to see some support for Bill Sienkiewicz, one of my favorite artists.

by Anonymousreply 51March 2, 2018 3:51 PM

Curt’s Superman at r46 looks pretty damn hot to me.

Clark, be my butch Daddy!

by Anonymousreply 52March 2, 2018 5:45 PM

Vinnie Coletta always gets a bad rap, but I worked at DC when he was there, and he was one of our best inkers, especially because he simplified pencils that were too busy and would be hard to read. That's why he gets accused of doing a less than thorough job.

But in the romance division, Artie Saaf inked by Vinnie Coletta gave us the best looking girls and boys (though they tended to look a bit too old for our readership).

And I don't understand why Carmine Infantino gets all that praise. He was a good artist, yes, but when I was at DC he had the corner office as head of the whole division, and the job calls for vision, which I don't think Carmine had.

I have to admit, I never thought there'd be a thread on this topic here on DL. Anyone remember Bob Kanigher? A writer, not an artist, but a real character.

by Anonymousreply 53March 2, 2018 5:58 PM

Cut Curt Swan some slack. He drew Superman in the 1950s, so he’s not exactly going to be Frank Miller. Criticizing his work for being “square and wholesome” is a bit absurd. It’s like saying Batman is too dark or Wonder Woman too feminist.

by Anonymousreply 54March 2, 2018 6:14 PM

[QUOTE] Don Heck. In the 80s, you always knew your favorite comic book was on the verge of cancellation if Don Heck was added as series artist.

In this respect, Don Heck was the Ted McGinley of comic books.

by Anonymousreply 55March 2, 2018 6:16 PM

i hate stan lee as well. and with good reason.

by Anonymousreply 56March 2, 2018 7:34 PM

Heck was fine in the 60s but had no business in the 80s or 90s

by Anonymousreply 57March 2, 2018 7:36 PM

If we talk about artists we love - Alan Davis drew the hottest guys. Captain Britain - yum.

by Anonymousreply 58March 2, 2018 7:54 PM

I also couldn't stand Mark Bagley...

by Anonymousreply 59March 2, 2018 8:07 PM

Brian Bolland. Too much detail, for me.

by Anonymousreply 60March 2, 2018 8:09 PM

I agree with the above posters on Carmine Infantino.

I blamed him for the comic book declines of both Flash & Supergirl which resulted in their Crisis deaths.

If both of the above mentioned heroes had better artists on their books then they wouldn't have been on any hit list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 2, 2018 8:17 PM

Infantino's Flash in the 60s was great though.

by Anonymousreply 62March 2, 2018 8:20 PM

Gil Kane was another comic book killer. Can you imagine his Batman being any type of commercial success?

I always wondered why some of these guys kept getting hired after so many of their titles were cancelled. (Did their bosses blame the writers or the characters instead?)

There are reports of an old boys network in the comic book industry which makes it harder for women to break into.

Have any women been named yet? I don't recall any.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 2, 2018 8:22 PM

I think Neal Adams did the best Batman.

by Anonymousreply 64March 2, 2018 8:35 PM

[quote]Gil Kane was another comic book killer.

I absolutely loved Gil Kane's stuff. And it seems to me he had pretty good runs on Green Lantern and Spider-Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 2, 2018 9:12 PM

Infantino’s work on Spider Woman was inspiring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 2, 2018 9:30 PM

We also have Infantino to thank for Batgirl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 2, 2018 9:35 PM

Tell us more, R56 & R59...

by Anonymousreply 68March 2, 2018 11:57 PM

R53, i'd really love to hear any behind the scenes stories of DC you have. I work very hard at comics.org to document DC history. Art Saaf is one of those forgotten guys of comics history.

by Anonymousreply 69March 2, 2018 11:59 PM

I quite liked Jim Aparo in the 70s but by the mid 80s it was time for him to pack it in.

(And all of his women looked like drag queens.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70March 3, 2018 12:45 AM

I LOVED Infantino's work on Mystery in Space (Adam Strange) and The Flash. When DC put him in an editorial position, well, he sucked.

This thread is taking me back. God, I loved Murphy Anderson too.

As far as artists who suck go: Anybody remember Mike Grell? Dick Dillon? Ross Andru (although he brought a fun goofiness to Spider-Man)?

by Anonymousreply 71March 3, 2018 12:49 AM

I thought Mike Grell was one of DC’s best illustrators in the 70s, r71.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 3, 2018 1:04 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Al Milgrom. I'm glad, though, because I think his art has a certain charm.

by Anonymousreply 73March 3, 2018 1:56 AM

John Romita Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 3, 2018 3:05 AM

R53 - tell us about Bob Kanigher. I hated his Wonder Woman stories.

by Anonymousreply 75March 3, 2018 3:18 AM

BEST artist has gotta be Dick Giordano!

by Anonymousreply 76March 3, 2018 3:28 AM

Believe it or not, this is a young Bob Kanigher.

He sure didn't look like that when he was doing Wonder Woman.

Incidentally, does anyone here recall the old term for when an inker ignores too much of the pencilling? There was a specific term for that, and I don't remember it after all this time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 3, 2018 3:33 AM

I don’t know, r77 - but you made me immediately think of inker, Tom Palmer. His style always overpowered the artwork and not in a good way, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 78March 3, 2018 3:42 AM

such a fun thread. I was really into DC Comics from about '84 to '90.

Infantino, Gil Kane, those guys all had such distinct, individual styles, you either loved them or hated them.

Seems now all the art is extra-muscly and just trying to emulate movies or something...

by Anonymousreply 79March 3, 2018 5:49 AM

[quote]I enjoyed Keith Giffen on Legion but yeah his artwork morphed over time into something that came off as smug...if that’s possible.

Yes, it's possible. I loved his work with Larry Mahlstedt on Legion. But when he took over Legion post-Crisis with the 'Five Years Later' shit, it was like a different artist. His work regressed over time. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2018 7:29 AM

I just thought of another Character at DC: Nelson Birdwell (or Bridwell; I never got that straight). He was something of a nerdy oddball, and used to make hideous throat-clearing noises that drove Carmine crazy. But Nelson was a human Superman encyclopedia. He knew all the details--what issues supposedly ran a story of Superman's death, when Lois got a weird hairdo, what Lana Lang wore to her Senior Prom.

He was amazing in that way, invaluable in keeping an authentic continuity going in the Superman saga.

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2018 7:50 AM

Not so fast R73 Al Milgrom was Marvel's hack go-to guy in the 70s. I really had to hold my nose and pray the story was good 'cause the art sucked. Others have already been mentioned like Ross Andru, George Tuska, Herb Trimpe Robbins and Gil Kane. I will say Kane somehow made Green Lantern not awful but Spidey? Oy.

by Anonymousreply 82March 3, 2018 7:58 AM

I'm right there with you, r59. I've never been a fan of Mark Bagley. His art is so unappealing and he is one of the few artists whose work produces a visceral dislike.

I am really surprised by some folks disliking Bill Sienkiewicz. I thought his run on New Mutants was brilliant - and a perfect counterpoint to the psychologically dark story arcs Claremont was doing on that title. I thought Sienkiewicz' debut arc on - "The Demon Bear Saga" was gorgeously weird.

Apologies for the following sidebar, but I just had to say that the stories Claremont was telling in NM was so much more intense than his work on Uncanny X-Men. Especially noteworthy considering NM was the junior title. Aside from the aforementioned Demon Bear story (which addressed the murder of someone's parents), there was a storyline regarding kidnapped teens used for pharmaceutical experimentation, a really memorable (and IMO, non-very special episode) suicide story and an exercise that forced the team to battle a super-powered assassin squad.

And then there's the arc where they battled a near omnipotent being who simultaneously murders AND erases them from existence. They're then resurrected but left with a nihilistic memory of it all - so the following issues address their severe PTSD.

That some intense shit for a team featuring 13 to 17 year olds.

/tangent (I'm so sorry! I need-out with comics)

Anyway, I also add my vote to those who named Rob Liefeld. His characters always look as if they were dehydrated via a laxative/lemon cocktail. And r50, I'm right there with you regarding John Byrne's run on Wonder Woman. I thought we were going to get the Byrne of Phoenix/Dark Phoenix at best or Fantastic Four era at worst...and the reality was a big ol' yikes.

by Anonymousreply 83March 3, 2018 9:42 AM

I know he’s a gay and we should love him, but I find Phil Jimenez’s work to be overly detailed and awful. He’s like a George Perez wannabe without the talent.

by Anonymousreply 84March 3, 2018 9:59 AM

I've never understood why Michael Turner is so popular. He is horrible with anatomy.

by Anonymousreply 85March 3, 2018 10:27 AM

I don't mind Jiminez, R84. True, he's a Perez clone - but even Perez himself hasn't been able to come close to his own work throughout the 80s. I always thought it amazing how when Perez would do those close-up panels of the eyes of multiple characters and you INSTANTLY knew who the character was. That's some serious artistic chops.

That said, I liked Jiminez' early aughts run in Wonder Woman. That's a fun sequence of stories.

R85: Regarding Turner, you know he passed away from cancer, right? In a just a few more months it will be a full decade since he died.

by Anonymousreply 86March 3, 2018 11:45 AM

I want more Silver Age DC dirt! I remember, say, 20 years ago, Julius Schwartz (recently widowed and sometimes drunk) was supposedly groping every young woman in sight. If he had lived, it definitely would have been a #metoo moment. Fucking nerds!

by Anonymousreply 87March 3, 2018 11:57 AM

I saw Phil Jimenez do a talk on gays in comics at a local university and later someone showed me a website with all the same info in the same form. He had completely plagiarized his entire presentation.

by Anonymousreply 88March 3, 2018 12:00 PM

I always liked Gil Kane but he was really into showing nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 89March 3, 2018 12:01 PM

Mike Sekowsky was a terrible artist, though some of his work with the "new" Wonder Woman, inked by Dick Giordano, was often passable.

by Anonymousreply 90March 3, 2018 12:06 PM

When I was a kid I hated Sekowsky but I have come to love him.

by Anonymousreply 91March 3, 2018 12:13 PM

This artist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92March 3, 2018 12:49 PM

[quote]I know he’s a gay and [bold]we should love him[/bold]

Automatically, [bold]because[/bold] he is gay? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 93March 3, 2018 1:08 PM

[quote]Anybody remember Mike Grell? Dick Dillon? Ross Andru

Grell's work was distinctive, if nothing else -- and I'll always appreciate his tendency to outfit male LSH members in the skimpiest costumes possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 3, 2018 1:18 PM

In 2001, Jimenez made it his mission to kill off Hippolyta because he was worried that her appearances in the popular JSA comic were "ruining Diana's uniqueness."

Jeph Loeb told me that Jimenez offered to kill off Hippolyta in 'Our Worlds At War' to up the death count. Jimenez lied that he was told to do it by an editor.

It's interesting how so many queens hated Hippolyta becoming the Golden Age Wonder Woman back in 1998. "But Diana's uniqueness is being threatened!"

And NOW for the last several years, Diana has been running around with a shield and sword, in a costume similar to Byrne's Hippolyta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 3, 2018 1:19 PM

I like Phil Jimenez work and he's really nice and supportive of other artists. So what if he took talking points from the net- He probably searched for something to discuss and found it interesting enough to share. He's an artist not a writer.

Love Alan Davis too R58.

As far as popular bad comic books artists go.....Quietly is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 96March 3, 2018 1:21 PM

Has the WW troll brigade arrived yet?

Because let’s make this whole thread now about her now.

by Anonymousreply 97March 3, 2018 1:23 PM

that old fucking stan lee..........ahhhhh

this is freaking Fascinating....all the minutia..................................., just wow. super interesting dynamics going on here......

carry on.

by Anonymousreply 98March 3, 2018 1:43 PM

Tom Grummett was certainly a talented artist, but his faces...all of his characters looked like William H. Macy to me. Even the women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 3, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote] another Character at DC: Nelson Birdwell (or Bridwell; I never got that straight). He was something of a nerdy oddball, and used to make hideous throat-clearing noises that drove Carmine crazy.

I deeply sympathise with Carmine.

I temporarily work/live my mother atm (protip: don’t ever do this, I’m desperate to find somewhere else to go). My Mom takes thyroid medications that mess with her glands and also has bad allergies, which cause her to punctuate her every sentence & gesture with this enraging back-of-the-throat gagging. It’s disgusting, and raises my hackles & my cortisol levels every time she does it. And she’s done it for years.

I’ve given her teas & tonics & lozenges aplenty, offered to take her to an allergenist or private doctor to reassess her meds or get her throat looked at, kindly asked her several times to try to curb it....and she won’t. Just says “sorry” and smiles sweetly, then carries on. She thinks it’s “unreasonable” to ask her to try and fix it. Yes, I live in her house, but I also pay rent and give her free petcare and make her dinner and troubleshoot her tech etc. Any free time I have is spent blocking her out, or on Starbucks where I go to escape it.

I’m now resolved that for however many months of sleepless nights and stress and shattered focus I’ve endured, she’s getting that much future Elder-care from me docked. So far we’re at around 20 months..

by Anonymousreply 100March 3, 2018 3:11 PM

I was never a fan of Pat Broderick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 3, 2018 3:29 PM

Jimenez thinks he’s a writer. Did you ever see his run on Wonder Woman? The excruciatingly wordy word balloons barely left any room for his crappy art.

by Anonymousreply 102March 3, 2018 4:33 PM

Have any comic book pencilers stayed consistently skilled until the end? Inkers, yes. Pencilers, I’m not sure. Even Kirby, whose work I adored, produced awful artwork at DC at the end of his career.

by Anonymousreply 103March 3, 2018 4:35 PM

Sometimes the transition from one artist to another can be jarring. I remember hating Chuck Beckam’s work on Miracle Man. Not that he was a bad artist by any means, but the switch from Alan Davis to him took me out of the story and certainly lessened the impact of the storytelling, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 3, 2018 4:53 PM

Was Mike Grell into the homosex, r94?

by Anonymousreply 105March 3, 2018 5:00 PM

I’m secure with what I do, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106March 3, 2018 5:02 PM

R102 "How can you be SO RUDE?!?!"

(Get it?)

by Anonymousreply 107March 3, 2018 5:03 PM

A lot of these artists were genuinely great in their day, and then they just went downhill. They became too mannered and lazy as they got older--but once upon a time they were considered the best artists in the business. A case in point is Carmine Infantino, whose work for both the Flash and Mystery in Space in the Sixties was considered mindblowingly good for its time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 3, 2018 5:14 PM

Similarly, no one had done a cover for a newsstand cover with such an inventive use of the title before (although this was something Infantino learned from Will Eisner's "The Spirit" section from 40s newspapers)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 3, 2018 5:17 PM

Similarly, despite the fact that his work later got hack-like, John Byrne's 70s and 80s work for x-Men was just unbeatable (especially since it was inked by Terry Austin). Look at the amazing moodiness of the final panel and how it works with the whole layout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 3, 2018 5:24 PM

Stuart Immonen had such distinctive art when he was at DC 1992-2000.

But ever since he became Marvelized, his art has lost all passion and character. He looks like every other Olivier Coipel clone out there - and Immonen came first!

Blah now. Beautiful with DC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 3, 2018 5:27 PM

I hated Don heck when I was young in the Eighties, but he was never really cut out for superhero comics (his designs for superheroes and supervillains were infamously bad--he gave them the dullest costumes that were invariably mostly brown). But he had trained to do moody spy comics (like Terry and the Pirates, drawn by his hero Milton Caniff), and did a great job in his early career with them and with romance comics. Check out the nice page below.

Apparently he knew he was no good with superhero comics, and was embarrassed how much fans hated it when he took over a book. But they kept him on at both Marvel and DC because everyone liked him so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 3, 2018 5:29 PM

If you were a gay boy in the Seventies and Early Eighties, there was a 100% chance that Don Heck would get around to your favorite characters.

Despite all the odds, Don Heck would somehow alway end up wherever my favorites were:

Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Mantis, Zatanna, Scarlet Witch, JLA, Batgirl, Donna Troy, Black Widow... and more Wonder Woman! Over and over!

I was so floored and disappointed that Heck got the rushy-rush job of 'Giant-Size Avengers' #4 which featured the weddings of Mantis & "Swordsman" and the Vision & the Scarlet Witch! I guess it was symmetry since he also drew Mantis' very first appearance in 1973.

Heck got to close out Wonder Woman's first series in 1985. I actually loved his art on Justice League of America in 1981-1983 when he was inked by Brett Breeding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 3, 2018 5:38 PM

Yes, Brett Breeding was a terrific inker.

by Anonymousreply 114March 3, 2018 5:44 PM

Mantis is another character Heck designed quite hideously. He just was not cut out to design superheroes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 3, 2018 5:54 PM

Another genuinely awful Don Heck design: the first appearance of The Living Laser.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 3, 2018 5:57 PM

Don heck's design for Power Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 3, 2018 5:58 PM

The huge difference in r111 between the high quality of the artwork and draftsmanship as a whole and those hideous, inept faces is really quite shocking.

by Anonymousreply 118March 3, 2018 6:20 PM

I am finally figuring out my hatred for Shelagh from ‘Call The Midwife’...she makes me think of Ross Andru’s Wonder Woman from the 50’s/60’s!

But seriously - despite the hatred he’s getting on this thread, he’s probably the only penciller whose work I liked more as he got older. I would have been in gay heaven if he had been illustrating WW in the 1980s instead of Don Heck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 3, 2018 6:47 PM

Ross Andru in the 1980s .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 3, 2018 6:48 PM

Oops, sorry, not r111, I meant r99

by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2018 6:50 PM

The worst: Kurt Schaffenberger.

Comic book art for the Frau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 3, 2018 6:53 PM

Kurt schaffenberger did incredibly detailed work with wonderful facial expressions. Loved his early Marvel Family work and he really made Lois Lane one of the best selling comics of the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 123March 3, 2018 7:13 PM

[quote]I was so floored and disappointed that Heck got the rushy-rush job of 'Giant-Size Avengers' #4 which featured the weddings of Mantis & "Swordsman" and the Vision & the Scarlet Witch! I

Yes! The Celestial Madonna saga was my favorite comics storyline and Heck mucked it up, especially compared to some great Dave Cockrum art in previous story installments.

by Anonymousreply 124March 3, 2018 8:33 PM

Keith Giffen, “homage artist”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 3, 2018 8:56 PM

Bob Brown and Dave Cockrum had the most amazing art in the Mantis Saga.

Even John Buscema and Sal Buscema/Joe Staton did fine with their parts.

But Don Heck on the ENDING?????????????

At least it wasn't Tuska.....

by Anonymousreply 126March 3, 2018 9:03 PM

Bob Hall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 3, 2018 9:08 PM

I always thought this Supermen cover by Stuart Immonen was one of the ugliest covers ever. Superman looks awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128March 3, 2018 9:14 PM

Superman’s mullet period was pretty unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 129March 3, 2018 9:20 PM

This is a fantastic thread. I was never heavily into comic books but I’m in awe of your erudition and passion, and I can’t stop reading. Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 130March 3, 2018 9:23 PM

Ugliest cover ever? Put down the colored chalk, George!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 3, 2018 9:25 PM

I have always hated Jill Thompson in EVERYTHING, especially Wonder Woman.

by Anonymousreply 132March 3, 2018 9:26 PM

Brian Postman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 3, 2018 9:47 PM

Bill Sienkiewicz' "New Mutants" was the most exciting the book ever became.

I used to hate Paul Smith's run on the X-Men but now I love it even if Maddy Pryor looked NOTHING like Jean Grey and I couldn't figure out why Cyclops was so stunned when he first met her.

by Anonymousreply 134March 3, 2018 9:53 PM

What did you all think of the transition from Steve Ditko to John Romita in Amazing Spiderman? That was a classic case of extremes. I loved that the characters were less "ugly" but the quirkiness of the art was sorely missed. Then again, Mary Jane could have never lived up to the hype under Ditko.

by Anonymousreply 135March 3, 2018 10:11 PM

Under Romita, Aunt May looked less like she was going to disintegrate into powder at any moment. But Peter was hot so it was hard to relate to a muscular stud as still a loser, despite his money woes. Gwen and Mary Jane looked exactly alike except for hair color and a headband.

by Anonymousreply 136March 3, 2018 10:16 PM

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen: what if Captain America from the movies had the body of Rob Liefeld's Captain America?

It's always astonishing to think how popular Rob Liefeld was in the 1990s. unlike some of the other people on this list, he was NEVER a good artist. He was a cheesy Art Adams imitator who had absolutely no idea of human anatomy or of perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 3, 2018 10:23 PM

Another of the most awful Rob Liefeld renderings ever: the Enchantress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 3, 2018 10:24 PM

R134: I remember reading an interview with Paul Smith where he said his being accepted by UXM readers was an arduous process. Particularly since he replaced Dave Cockrum - who was immensely popular with readers. But by the end of his run the readers loved him but hated his replacement (John Romita Jr.).

The slow beautification of Rogue from hag-like villain to heroic bombshell definitely had its roots during Smith's run. He noticeably de-aged and de-uglied her during his run.

And Madelyn's non-resemblance to Jean was not helped by the hairstyle Smith gave her. The 'resemblance' never really worked until they changed her hairstyle once Marc Silvestri was the regular artist. Interestingly, the original hairstyle was deliberately based on Louise "Weezie" Simonson's hairstyle during that period. She was the editor on the X-Books then (and wife of Walter Simonson - responsible for one of the most acclaimed runs on "Thor").

R137: OMG, that Liefeld bit is HILARIOUS. And you're totally right about his trying (and failing spectacularly) to ape Art Adams. Adams work on "The Asgardian Wars" is so beautiful.

R58: Alan Davis is another artist who, like 80s era George Perez, is able to make distinct looking faces. With Davis, you could ID a character even if their body and hair was not drawn. Which is incredibly difficult if you think about it. Both his runs on Excalibur is the best of his career.

by Anonymousreply 139March 4, 2018 12:02 AM

"I like Phil Jimenez work and he's really nice and supportive of other artists. So what if he took talking points from the net- He probably searched for something to discuss and found it interesting enough to share."

You misunderstood. He was paid by a university to give a presentation on Gays in Comics. He cribbed the entire thing from someone else's work and presented it as his own. He plagiarized it.

by Anonymousreply 140March 4, 2018 1:13 AM

How can one say that Madeline didn’t resemble Jean? They’re both comic book characters!

by Anonymousreply 141March 4, 2018 1:33 AM

It's called being involved in the story, r141. It's no different than when showrunners bring in a new actor for an already existing character on a televison show or movie.

Stop being such a wet blanket.

by Anonymousreply 142March 4, 2018 3:06 AM

Hack evangelistic tract monger Jack Chick, because without his shitty work we will all SPEND ETERNITY IN A VERY GAY CIRCUIT PARTY.

by Anonymousreply 143March 4, 2018 3:28 AM

William Johnson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 4, 2018 4:29 AM

Jon bogdanove drew an ugly Supes who looked like Jay Leno

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 4, 2018 6:16 AM

I hated how inker Joe Sinnott overpowered the work of the penciller so much that you could hardly tell who pencilled the issue if they weren’t already identified.

This is George Perez inked by Sinnott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 4, 2018 6:59 AM

Mike Grell--now his panels could get really, really sexy. That Green Arrow comic in the late 80s practically showed Oliver Queen and Black Canary fucking. And he'd draw Queen with a really hairy chest, which I loved. I fucking loved that.

by Anonymousreply 147March 4, 2018 7:00 AM

I miss the days of Superman’s hairy chest from the Byrne era...

by Anonymousreply 148March 4, 2018 7:16 AM

Well, this thread brings back memories. Tuska and Heck were the first two to come to mind. Gods they were awful! But the Trilogy of Terror isn't complete with Al milgrom

Though I'm happy to hear that Heck was an nice guy, and that's why they kept him around.

by Anonymousreply 149March 4, 2018 9:13 AM

Mike Grell's "Warlord" was a sexy silver daddy wearing as little as possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150March 4, 2018 9:58 AM

R146, I agree about Joe Sinnot. He did the same thing to John Byrne. Heavy inkers are a real problem for good artists. Dick Girodano (or, as rumor has it, the Dick Giordano conglomerate) could ruin some good art,notably George Perez' in certain issues of "Crisis on Infinite Earths." This also can be the penciller's problem is they do breakdowns or full pencils but Sinnot... yeah, he blows.

by Anonymousreply 151March 4, 2018 10:02 AM

I feel like I am one of the only people who really liked Romita Jr. and Dan Green on the X-Men. I liked the art and the stories going on at that point. Right before Dan Green became the regular inker, Romita inker his own son and Colossus looked exactly like Peter Parker only with blue-black hair.

How many gay boys liked Colossus even though he was only pen and ink?

by Anonymousreply 152March 4, 2018 10:05 AM

Can editors give artists "overall" notes on their style?

I want someone to give Adam Kubert a paid two-week leave of absence to learn how to draw different faces. Everyone always has pinched facial features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 4, 2018 10:41 AM

There's a nice piece on Mike Grell here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 4, 2018 10:51 AM

And here I thought "comicsgate" was confined to a few shitty talentless hacks on Twitter who can't write or draw properly, till R17 comes along and literally calls Ethan Van Sciver a Nazi! (Insert a good Jimmy Carr chuckle here.)

R17, you should die of embarrassment right now, loser.

by Anonymousreply 155March 4, 2018 10:53 AM

R155 must be EVS.

by Anonymousreply 156March 4, 2018 10:57 AM

EVS is a trump-loving, Nazi and alt-right symbol using asshole.

by Anonymousreply 157March 4, 2018 11:07 AM

[quote]Or maybe I just liked him because he managed to make Sam Guthrie hot.

One of my few clear memories of New Mutants is when Sam went skinnydipping. Definitely brought up some confusing feelings in my young self.

Something else that made an impression on me, this is more of an odd decision than bad art, but when Todd McFarlane worked on Infinity, Inc he blatantly drew the characters without underwear. I don't know if that's typical of his style.

You would think men going into danger would want some crotch protection, or that huge-titted Wildcat would wear a bra, but nope. You could practically see the women's areolae. I think I actually got a boner from the panel in which you can see Nuklon's dick.

On a less shallow note, this thread is a great read.

by Anonymousreply 158March 4, 2018 11:32 AM

After reading this thread, I was watching two great videos on youtube last night of Richard Bennett penciling and inking comics.

Here's the penciling one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 4, 2018 11:34 AM

And the inking one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160March 4, 2018 11:35 AM

You have to realize that when you call non Nazis Nazis you are basically screaming "I'm an insufferable idiot who should not be taken seriously! I know nothing about history or culture, I'm just offensively loud and miserable and I want you to be miserable and miserably stupid too!" Just FYI, in case you want to ever attract thoughtful, interesting people into your life. They don't like hysterics.

I had always remembered Ethan as a fill in artist for Grant's New X-Men (loved it, loved Quitely too but those faces) and how he drew SEX hidden in the art. Until I noticed a few people saying America was the cringiest comic book ever and he sided with the fans who believe good stories trump PC bad comics. I'll side with a literal Nazi (provided you can find me one) over some SJW snowflake any day of the week!

by Anonymousreply 161March 4, 2018 11:37 AM

EVS couldn't get FLASH: REBIRTH finished because he was always on Twitter ranting about Evil Obama and the Democrats. The 6 issues took almost a year because of his political ranting taking precedence over his job.

by Anonymousreply 162March 4, 2018 11:40 AM

Loved Romita Jr on X-Men too, except for whiny Rachel in her aerobics class gear. Just bought the Ghosts trade. Paid almost 80 bucks for it but now I have all of Claremont's original run in mostly OHC except for 215-219.

I got into X-Men around the time Romita Jr retuned to the book circa 300. Loved that issue. Hated the Manga style that took over.

by Anonymousreply 163March 4, 2018 11:40 AM

Also ditto on Sam Guthrie being hot under Bill S. That boy could look fug. I thought Douglas was adzorable.

by Anonymousreply 164March 4, 2018 11:42 AM

Frank Miller reckons Joe Kubert is the best comic artist of all-time. He says he could do it all: tell a story, his draftsmanship was impeccable, and you could read him and learn so much.

by Anonymousreply 165March 4, 2018 11:43 AM

"I'll side with a literal Nazi (provided you can find me one) over some SJW snowflake any day of the week!"

That says pretty much everything we'd need to know about you or why you support EVS.

by Anonymousreply 166March 4, 2018 11:50 AM

Jack Kirby was fantastic but even he at times drew Sue Storm with a huge forehead and small eyes that would make her look like Frankenstein's monster. But that wasn't consistent enough to make him one of the worst at all. His style was standard.

by Anonymousreply 167March 4, 2018 11:57 AM

If anybody reads Archie or has read their "Best of" where they finally have collections dedicated to their artists- obviously Montana and Dan DeCarlo are two fo the best. DeCarlo set the house style that they are frustratingly trying to unravel in this post-"Riverdale" world. DeCarlo's Josie works pre-Pussycats is some of the best work he ever did. Harry Lucey and Sammy Schwartz were amazing. Stan Goldberg or Stan G. was a pale imitation of DeCarlo and the more and he did, the more cross-eyed his characters became.

Dan Parent's Archie work is good and he is so progressive but, covers aside, his work can look rushed and sloppy. BUT he does turn work in on time and his "Die, Kitty Dier!" series is brilliant. Problem is, his writing skills for Kevin Keller are far too "gee whiz" and didactic where it's too much about Kevin being gay and spouting statistics. I wish his family was more complex. They're too Stepford compared to the rest of the Riverdale pack. And Parent again is a good artist who rushes. But again, he's quite the ally.

by Anonymousreply 168March 4, 2018 12:03 PM

Al Feldstein?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169March 4, 2018 5:16 PM

A bit of a stretch, but Alex Ross. A lot of his art is really cool, even if he relies too much on models to get general shapes down. But he also doesn't seem to know how to create original faces. His Gwen Stacy in Marvels is beautiful, but two issues before it, we have a Reed Richards and a Sue Storm who are clearly Thurston and Lovey Howell. There's another panel with a woman in a crowd who's also 100% Bea Arthur.

There's also Greg Land, who is a notorious tracer. He gets a lot of his women from porn stills, and often reuses images. He did a Werewolf by Night one-shot where all the werewolves looked like Abercrombie models, and an issue of X-Men where all the women had the exact same face.

by Anonymousreply 170March 4, 2018 5:31 PM

Greg Land draws beautiful men.

R163, I just did the exact same thing! On a whim last month, I started buying up X-Men trades (I already had the Masterworks) all the way through to the end of the Alan Davis run in 2000.

I got 'Ghosts' for $70 and free shipping. #215 is in the 'Old Soldiers' trade which I got on eBay for $4.

by Anonymousreply 171March 4, 2018 5:49 PM

[quote]Greg Land draws beautiful men.

He traces them, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 172March 4, 2018 5:51 PM

Sometimes while perusing Adam4Adam I delete my trace...

by Anonymousreply 173March 4, 2018 5:56 PM

Thank you, r170. Here's a fascinating page documenting many of Greg Land's swipes. Some of them are extraordinary. He's literally is just tracing other people's work...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 4, 2018 7:31 PM

You could always identify a woman who was inked by Vince Colletta by the 5 lbs of mascara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 4, 2018 8:29 PM

Which is a shame, r174. Because before he started constantly tracing he was a pretty good artist. He did art for an earlier arc of the original "Birds of Prey" that I really enjoyed. It was an own style, but had shades of Alan Davis with crisp, clean lines.

by Anonymousreply 176March 4, 2018 11:19 PM

[quote] shades of Alan Davis

Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 177March 5, 2018 12:46 AM

Bump for DC (and what fresh Hell is this new Marvel reboot? *yawn*)

by Anonymousreply 178March 7, 2018 4:59 AM

I will always have a soft spot for Dick Dillon who illustrated JLA for like 100+ issues in the 70s and 80s. But his ways of showing a character was upset or angry were always laughable. In this panel, Wonder Woman overhears the men talking smack about her and she’s so pissed her hair literally stands up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 7, 2018 11:44 AM

So pissed her head sparks yellow flames!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 7, 2018 11:48 AM

[quote] This is more of an odd decision than bad art, but when Todd McFarlane worked on Infinity, Inc he blatantly drew the characters without underwear. I don't know if that's typical of his style.

R158 it certainly wasn’t typical of SPAWN, although those are admittedly the only McFarlane I’ve ever read. Spawn’s cape was a discretionary garment, for the most part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 7, 2018 11:04 PM

R158 Pictures please.

by Anonymousreply 182March 7, 2018 11:20 PM

I want to see some Infinity Inc. cock!

by Anonymousreply 183March 8, 2018 2:23 AM

Todd McFarlane's run on Infinity, Inc., was a big part of my coming out. God, I lusted over the guys in that book. We never saw Obsidian out of costume but I seem to recall when we did, he was super hot.

by Anonymousreply 184March 8, 2018 3:21 AM

I was a kid in the 90s and remember hating how Adam Kubert made all the X-Men look Asian. What made things worse was that this was when the team was split into blue and gold teams, and he was penciling the waaaay more interesting blue team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 8, 2018 7:38 AM

This was the first image to come up when I entered Comic Book Super Hero Bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 8, 2018 11:49 AM

I absolutely detested Bret Blevins when he took over illustrating The New Mutants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 10, 2018 3:10 AM

Second the love for Kurt Schaffenberger. His work on Lois Lane was so detailed and clever - he really did well with facial expressions. Lois Lane went down after Infantimo pulled KS off of it and put Irv Novick on the stories. Novick did good work with the Flash and Batman, but he was awful on Lois Lane.

by Anonymousreply 188March 10, 2018 4:39 AM

Pete Costanza was the WORST at DC. He ruined Jimmy Olsen when he took over as the lead in that comic, and did equally awful work on the Legion and occasionally on Superman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 10, 2018 4:42 AM

I was not a fan of Sal Buscema’s work. He would always use the same image of a character getting thrown backwards.

He was also fond of the nasalabial fold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 10, 2018 4:59 AM

[quote] There's another panel with a woman in a crowd who's also 100% Bea Arthur.

That's an in-joke.

It's bizarre you would complain about that...on Datalounge, of all places.

by Anonymousreply 191March 10, 2018 5:01 AM

I loved the art of Jim Aparo. He drew hot men. In the 90s, every superhero became roided out thanks to artists like Liefeld. Artists like Aparo and John Byrne would try and fit the body type to the character. Therefore, in Byrne's "Fantastic four," the outfits on them were not skin tight and Johnny storm was slim and Reed was in shape but not a bodybuilder. John Byurne's only flaw for me was that he had a problem drawing little kids- they all looked like boxy adults.

by Anonymousreply 192March 10, 2018 1:25 PM

[quote]I was not a fan of Sal Buscema’s work.

I didn't hate his stuff, but his brother John's work was far superior.

Gene Colan is an artist I liked very much but I know his unique style had a lot of detractors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 10, 2018 2:02 PM

Rob Liefield was a cutie back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 10, 2018 2:04 PM

[quote]It's bizarre you would complain about that...on Datalounge, of all places.

If it had been the real Bea, she wouldn't have been so prejudiced against mutants.

by Anonymousreply 195March 10, 2018 2:57 PM

Gene Colon was perfect for series like Dracula and Doctor Strange. When he joined DC in the 80s they made the terrible decision to put him on Wonder Woman. It was not a good fit.

by Anonymousreply 196March 10, 2018 3:07 PM

r192, I also loved Jim Aparo in the 70s, especially on The Brave and The Bold. In the 80s his work declined a bit.

He was also not skilled at costume design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 10, 2018 3:11 PM

Jimmy Janes and Dave Hunt became resident penciller/inker of Legion Of Super Heroes in the mid 80s and I thought their work was incredibly bland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 10, 2018 3:17 PM

Dave Hunt also inked Wonder Woman in the early 80s. He was one of those inkers who overpowered the pencils so you always knew instantly when he was part of the art team. But I wasn’t a fan of longtime WW artist Jose Delbo either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199March 10, 2018 3:24 PM

Gene Colan was originally paired up with inker Romeo Tanghal on WW and the artwork was good. But unfortunately Romeo left after a few issues and the inker who replaced him (I think it was Frank McLaughlin) was ill suited.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 10, 2018 3:55 PM

Eduardo Barreto - he wasn’t terrible but he had the unfortunate job of following George Perez on Titans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 13, 2018 1:17 AM

Because I'm a true humanitarian...and I'm snowed in and bored...I tracked down some Infinity Inc scans for you thirsty nerds.

My memory misled me a bit. The art I was thinking of was not by McFarlane. It was the duo that followed him, penciller Michael Bair and inker Bob Downs.

The bulges seem to have, ah, grown in memory. It's not nearly as naughty as I seemed to remember. Mind you, they show greater anatomical fidelity and detail than I was used to seeing in comics at the time, which I still think gives it an erotic charge not seen in the work of, say, JohnByrne. But it's not nearly as nipplicious and crotchtacular as I thought.

On the plus side, those guys loved drawing ass. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they used porn for reference photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202March 13, 2018 3:10 PM

By the way, McFarlane did some nifty layouts for Infinity Inc.

Link to bonus gallery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 13, 2018 3:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!