Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Archer' Goes 'Danger Island' For New Season

[quote]Quicksand, cannibals and a sidekick named Crackers. Get ready for [italic]Archer: Danger Island[/italic], premiering April 25 on FXX.

Excited? Last season fell completely flat for me; laughed exactly twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2018 4:09 AM

I can't wait. I love, love, love Archer and the whole 'gang ---and I agree, the last season was a drag. This looks fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 1March 1, 2018 1:33 AM

I love Archer but last season was so bad I'm already cringing about this season.

by Anonymousreply 2March 1, 2018 1:38 AM

ISIS ruined the show.

by Anonymousreply 3March 1, 2018 2:04 AM

Well, shit; B- for the first three episodes. I hope it gets better as the season progresses. The article makes it sound like the creator himself is maybe not into this show all that much anymore.

Premieres this Wednesday at 10 p.m. ET on FXX.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 23, 2018 7:33 PM

I loved Archer for the first couple of seasons, but I gave up on it a couple seasons ago. I think it was that terrible Miami Vice season, it has really gone downhill.

by Anonymousreply 5April 23, 2018 7:35 PM

r4 I thought the fans would be eating that author alive in the comments but no, it's a very sombre mood there. They all know last season sucked and there's no point in pretending otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 6April 23, 2018 7:48 PM

Okay, I went into the season premiere a total pessimist but I legitimately loved every second of it! The opening alone was classic Archer. So, so good. Loved Pam opening the season with the showrunner's words about basically not giving a shit about continuity. I've no idea what's going on but I'm loving this clean slate, at least for a while.

The animation with its attention to detail is stunning, as always. As a parrot owner, I was tickled by how they all just dismissed that asshole parrot talking like a human because... he's a parrot! And that slow glance towards Archer when he tells it to hunker down for a crash landing, hilarious! Parrots are awesome.

Season nine and I'm more attracted to Archer than ever; that stubble really, [italic]really[/italic] suits him. And I would also like to murder Manu's ass. In an entirely sexual way, that is.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2018 2:02 PM

Anyone know what language that one Lana's phrase was? It was obviously not French.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2018 2:07 PM

r8 Closed captioning reveals she said "Latou te iloa". Which sounds vaguely Hawaiian to me but I can't find anything about it on Google. Someone in the comments under this review is a French translator and said Lana's French phrase was bizarre as well so it might be that foreign languages in this show are intentionally garbled. Or perhaps it has something to do with Archer still dreaming all of this.

Did anyone else kinda cringe at the fact that they made the only black woman on the show a stand-in for a Pacific Islander? Oy vey. I hope that gets explained somehow eventually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2018 1:49 AM

Hilarious threesome anecdote by H. Jon Benjamin who voices Archer on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2018 3:39 PM

Good lord, I [italic]actually[/italic] thought they had Cheryl paint that vortex with her own crap! I don't think I've ever been as shocked while watching this show, at least until the bonbonnière reveal. The part about her being coerced into sex work is a bit problematic, though.

The animation of the jungle vegetation and that beach at the very end was breathtaking. I wonder how much work goes into animating a single episode of this show. Did you know this was made in Georgia? I guess their tax breaks cover animation and voice work as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 3, 2018 8:27 PM

[quote]“And if you leave us here, I will find you. I will pluck you. I will slather your bumpy skin with olive oil and rosemary, and then I will shove a beer can up your asshole and roast your ancient carcass until it is golden brown and goddamn delicious.”

Pam's the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 3, 2018 8:28 PM

Anyone watching this? I just love Pam and Archer teaming up and Pam breaking the fourth wall that one time.

On the other hand, Cheryl getting coerced into prostitution and almost raped while passed out drunk left a really bad taste in my mouth. It's such a fun season otherwise that I don't understand why they have to shit on it with giant missteps like those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2018 1:21 PM

I love the adventure feel of the season. Judy Greer is a genius with her voice.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2018 2:03 PM

r14 She really is. That thing she did with the sobbing in the season opener was unreal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2018 2:09 PM

"Do you want to snort cocaine off my cock?"

by Anonymousreply 16June 7, 2018 2:05 PM

r16 Finished the episode just now and loved that line! A perfect 100th episode.

One episode left and I'm just going to say I am loving the hell out of this season. Archer and Pam are the best pairing ever and I could watch three to five more seasons of these islands adventures. I never want them to return to the "prime universe" again. This season feels so... cosy and I've never felt like that watching Archer before. Must be the languid pace and the absence of all that lore baggage, I suppose.

[quote]“That idea would suck a dick just to cut in line to suck a bigger dick.” - Pam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 7, 2018 2:19 PM

Is this still good? I liked the first season but thought it jumped the shark with the Burt Reynolds episode and everything was cringy for me after that, so I stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 18June 7, 2018 2:31 PM

Judging by the lack of comments R18 you're not the only one that stopped watching. Gave up years ago when it became really smug and pretentious believing its own hype.

R16's quote does little to draw me back.

by Anonymousreply 19June 7, 2018 2:38 PM

r18 Skip everything and just watch this season (eight episodes, finale next week). It's a hard reset of sorts and you don't need to know anything that came before. I think this one is very good, after a couple of terrible seasons. Cheryl's whore storyline was the only false note for me but that only lasted two episodes so they thankfully wrapped it up quickly.

And the animation is stunning. Just look at Jessica Walter's office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 7, 2018 2:38 PM

Oh, and this episode featured the show’s first-ever uncensored F-bombs. I knew it was weird for some reason when Archer said it.

by Anonymousreply 21June 7, 2018 3:44 PM

And rainbow psychedelic toads, celebrating Pride Month!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 7, 2018 3:45 PM

It’s too bad that Chozen only lasted one season. It was very quirky but sometimes very funny. There’s no room for original ideas on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 7, 2018 3:55 PM

archer dead, or not dead?

by Anonymousreply 24June 14, 2018 2:38 AM

WOW, Next season looks like it's going to be AMAZING!

by Anonymousreply 25June 14, 2018 3:48 AM

I think R24 is a little slow...

by Anonymousreply 26June 14, 2018 3:48 AM

The last 2 minutes were a brilliant tease for next season.

I hate these short seasons though. And next season is the last I guess. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 27June 14, 2018 5:17 AM

Aaaaagh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 14, 2018 7:09 AM

Hated the ending as this was my favourite season ever. I just want to stay on that island forever; love the almost complete isolation of it all, aside from some pop-culture references of the time. However, I do like the interior of that spaceship so I'm definitely tuning in when it returns.

Yeah, the showrunner is leaving when the season order runs out next year so that'll be the end of Archer, most likely. And just as it's getting good again. So that sucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 14, 2018 6:36 PM

The idea of then riffing on "Alien" is amazing...

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2018 4:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!