Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ANNOYED AT THE OFFICE: What is annoying you at work today?

Can't handle people who work with other people and have zero self awareness- There's this bitch at my office who wears high heel boots and of course you can hear coming and going but she will not stay put! Back and Forth to the bathroom, she will go into the kitchen and just open the refrigerator door, look at the coffee pot and walk another lap. I want to strangle her!

by Anonymousreply 203October 10, 2018 7:56 PM

I work in accounts receivable. What drives me FUCKING CRAZY is when you are accepting a payment from someone either in person or over the phone and they say some bullshit like this: "oh you want my money, do you?? You and everybody else! HAHAHAHA!!!" What they really want you to do is play along and agree that the world is indeed a way too expensive place, blah blah blah. Just pay your fucking bill for the goods or services you ordered. I have no control over the price and don't actually give a fuck how much is costing you.

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2018 4:59 PM

I work in a home improvement store....and at least once a month someone comes in to order blinds, . .and has not measured their windows..." it's a standard size "... and then get angry because they have to go all the way home and remaesure...correction actually measure... their Windows, like it's my fault that I refuse to order blinds at any size that sounds right to them.....

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2018 5:05 PM

The idiot that ALWAYS replies to "so, if nobody has any questions, we can end this call..."

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2018 5:09 PM

Women who take their shoes off at their desks and then walk around the office that way.

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2018 5:10 PM

r4, yes. If you can't make it through the day in your heels, don't wear them.

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2018 5:14 PM

I'm on a break and call health insurance co. I wait forever, voice prompt after voice prompt, finally a person gets on the phone, takes down all this info to verify identity.....ok,,,,and then she can't give me any info because the computers are down...ok...holding it together and she asks me, "Can I help you with anything else?????"

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2018 5:37 PM

When someone (usually annoying as hell) starts a sentence with the word "question" then proceeds to aska question! Ugh, I dont need a preview

by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2018 6:26 PM

This bumbling and surprisingly soft-spoken AA frau from accounting always comes asking me for invoices when I'm either on the phone or about to eat. Gurl, Bye! And she whispers goodnight at 5pm ---like again Gurl, bye!

by Anonymousreply 8February 15, 2018 5:30 PM

My Chinese officemate. I can tell he walks around with shit in his rectum but for whatever reason doesn’t let it out before he comes to work. I don’t blame him for not wanting to shit in the office men’s room, but at least offload that mess before coming to work. Because all day I can smell the stench of his clay-like stools leaking out in little farts. It’s really disgusting. I’m dying to get out of my shared office and go back to the cubicle farm, he’s nasty. He also never irons his shirts and never polishes his shoes.

by Anonymousreply 9February 15, 2018 5:42 PM

[quote]What is annoying you at work today?

That mother fucking POTUS

by Anonymousreply 10February 15, 2018 5:44 PM

Ginny from billing.

by Anonymousreply 11February 15, 2018 6:17 PM

HR cunts.

by Anonymousreply 12February 15, 2018 6:18 PM

WAY TOO much off the clock work

by Anonymousreply 13February 15, 2018 6:19 PM

R9 made my day!

by Anonymousreply 14February 15, 2018 6:24 PM

The straight douchebag who calls all the guys "bromigo" and pops open a beer at 5 PM. He doesn't pick up his feet when he walks and he's always in the kitchen when people are talking in there, he's so nosy and always has some lame ass contribution to everyone's conversation.

by Anonymousreply 15February 15, 2018 6:30 PM

Perhaps you could deliver him an envelope containing white powder r15?

by Anonymousreply 16February 15, 2018 6:32 PM

Hearing other people’s bad music through their crappy, shit headphones.

by Anonymousreply 17February 15, 2018 6:39 PM

[R16] I'D LOVE TO!

by Anonymousreply 18February 15, 2018 6:39 PM

One of the frau SVPs who "works from home" every Monday and Friday because, you know, she has kids and needs to be home with them. Even though they're in school all day and she lives TWO FUCKING MILES away from the office. When she's "working from home" she rarely answers her cell or replies to anything. Send her an email at 10am and you might get a reply at 2pm. So frustrating.

But she gets away with murder because she's super-hot, early 30s, and her boss is a frustrated middle-aged douchebag who can't say no to her.

by Anonymousreply 19February 15, 2018 7:00 PM

Colleague that keeps RIPPING her stapled invoices apart

I'm going to slap the shit out of her

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2018 7:12 PM

Can we talk about the co-workers who heat up their nasty food in the microwave in the breakroom? JFC nobody else wants to smell last night's Chinese broccoli and shrimp you fucking assholes!

by Anonymousreply 21February 15, 2018 7:15 PM

[R21] I hate people's cheap ass food from the night before stinking up the joint, I hate "reuseable" take out containers.

by Anonymousreply 22February 15, 2018 7:19 PM

r22 I am constantly taken aback by how inconsiderate people are. I love Chinese food, but I would never even think of bringing it into work with me because it smells. I also love many other kinds of hot foods but I am aware that the smell of it might not be pleasant to the people around me so I leave it at home. I just can't get over how clueless and entitled so many people are about basic manners.

by Anonymousreply 23February 15, 2018 7:24 PM

R21 & R22 We used to have this woman who would bring in some kind of fish once a week. I have no idea what kind of fish could POSSIBLY smell that bad, but we would all call it "Halicrotch" behind her back. Incidentally, that same woman must have had chronic gingivitis because her breath could kill an elephant 24/7. Imagine talking to her after eating her fish.

by Anonymousreply 24February 15, 2018 7:55 PM

Imagine working in an office where someone actually brings in leftover chitlins to microwave. I work for a newspaper in a major city.

by Anonymousreply 25February 15, 2018 7:59 PM

R25 oh hell to the nawl!

by Anonymousreply 26February 15, 2018 8:01 PM

When you are in the bathroom and there are 10 available stalls and they have to take the one right next to you and let go. 💩 🤮

by Anonymousreply 27February 15, 2018 8:12 PM

Co workers who do very little “co work” so I’m working for 2-3. Boss has head buried in sand; hates confrontation.

by Anonymousreply 28February 15, 2018 8:28 PM

OMG R28 I was you one year ago(for TEN years)

by Anonymousreply 29February 15, 2018 8:55 PM

Loud ass girl in the next cubicle that has to put ALL of her calls on speaker. She doesn’t have an inside voice and she giggles like a rambunctious 2 year old. Constantly.

by Anonymousreply 30February 15, 2018 9:30 PM

We had a woman in the office who popped her butter popcorn everyday at 3, it smelled like shit and the lingering oder got into your clothes...4 out of 10 times she would forget the correct time and burn it...that was a completely different smell.

by Anonymousreply 31February 15, 2018 9:40 PM

The fact that I have exactly 13 days till I officially retire; that's what's annoying the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 32February 15, 2018 9:54 PM

We banned all microwave popcorn from the office, talk about quality of life!

by Anonymousreply 33February 15, 2018 9:58 PM

The shitbags that call into our call center expecting answers off the bat. Bitch please, I’ve never dealt with you before. Wait until I can understand your issue before you mouth off. Or rather, buy a gun and blow your brains out because you’re a miserable sack of shit taking up valuable space.

by Anonymousreply 34February 15, 2018 10:10 PM

The Department's clerk who didn't do anything at work, but couldn't get fired. I sent my issues to our Supervisor. I was told the Clerk would be counseled, but could not be fired because it would look bad on the Supervisor. I transferred to a different department. New department has no Clerk, but I am more than happy to retrieve / send my own paperwork.

by Anonymousreply 35February 15, 2018 10:20 PM

[quote]When she's "working from home" she rarely answers her cell or replies to anything. Send her an email at 10am and you might get a reply at 2pm. So frustrating.

^^ OMG, this. It drives me INSANE. So many colleagues in my office do this, and they're *not* SVPs or even management-level staff. I have no idea how they continue to be allowed to do it.

To them, "working from home" actually means "I'm going to take the day off and will maybe check my phone once in the morning and once in the afternoon to create the flimsy illusion that I'm working."

by Anonymousreply 36February 15, 2018 10:34 PM

I actually came into work one evening and discovered that the day shift had consumed a huge bag of sunflower seeds and had literally spit all the shells all over the (tile) floor instead of in garbage cans.

I fucking FREAKED THE FUCK OUT and made one of them sweep the floor immediately.

What kind of fucking retard thinks it's ok to spit sunflower seed shells on the floor?

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2018 5:53 AM

Women that won’t shut up. Everything that has to be said LOUDLY or in a shrill voice. Over the top laughter and people that scream when the sneeze. People that think it’s OK to burp because it’s natural or fart because you can’t hear it. If you’re in a shared space, respect it.

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2018 6:04 AM

People who put dirty coffee cups and dishes in the lunchroom sink when there’s an empty dishwasher ready for them.

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2018 6:47 AM

People who walk away from a paper jam in the copier/printer.

People who send you an email and then are almost immediately in your office wanting to know if you've read their email.

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2018 9:59 AM

The loudmouth "Paul Revere" who is constantly running through the office halls hollering things like "The contract has been cancelled! We won't have any work in a month!" or "The plant manager said if anyone is caught using the Internet for anything but work will be fired!!!"

by Anonymousreply 41February 16, 2018 12:15 PM

Government employees. Lazy as tree sloths, slower than glaciers, next to impossible to fire. The more worthless the employee, the more extensive their knowledge of the contract. Not all of them, but enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 42February 16, 2018 12:40 PM

College teacher here, adjunct. In other words, no paid vacation, no paid holidays, long unpaid breaks between terms. That’s all ok. BUT... we constantly get hit up by the clerical staff – all of whom have full-time salaries and lots of paid days off and a generous benefits plan – to contribute $$$ to every random cause. And they’re smart enough to hit us up in front of other people to try to shame us into contributing.

“My brother-in-law‘s walking in the cancer walk next weekend.“ “It’ time to support the United Way campaign again.“ “It’s the ex-department chair’s 65th birthday.“ “Joe Blow/Jane Doe is on leave post-hip replacement surgery.”

by Anonymousreply 43February 16, 2018 1:13 PM

R38 WTF is wrong with these people that scream-sneeze?? I had one woman at my last job who did that IN A CHICAGO ACCENT. Not even kidding. But hey, anything AT ALL for attention, right? That same girl had camouflage colors and patterns in her wedding and the bridal party wore cowboy boots. R36 Had a woman that did that all the time, especially Fridays and Mondays. She had Glenn Close's exact hairdo from Fatal Attraction (in 2016) and would wear dresses waaaaay too short (approximately 1 inch from her ass) and then bend over all day long wearing a thong. Think large curd cottage cheese combined with extra rare roast beef. Even the pervy guys would look away in revulsion.

by Anonymousreply 44February 16, 2018 1:35 PM

I don't "scream-sneeze", whatever that is, but my sneezes are excruciatingly loud and there's always 4-8 of them.

I can't control it, you fucking weirdos. You think I enjoy making this noise?

by Anonymousreply 45February 16, 2018 3:08 PM

[R38] Women who speak at a higher octave and broadcast to everyone within earshot about their "wellness journey".

For someone who eats so "well" and works out so much, she looks exactly the same

by Anonymousreply 46February 16, 2018 3:14 PM

The office snoop. She has to visit every desk and ask loudly what you're plans are for the weekend. If you don't have any, which I usually don't, that leads to a barrage of questions: "Well, why not?"; "Don't you have any friends you can visit?"; "Can you invite someone over?": "Get out and meet people." etc., etc.

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2018 3:24 PM

Sorry but screaming loudly when you sneeze is not necessary. I sneeze discreetly in public but sneeze loudly if I’m alone. You just don’t give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2018 3:33 PM

R48 Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2018 3:42 PM

The Frau Bitch that sits next to me (we have no cubicle walls): blows her nose like a dude, talks over everyone, and when she goes toward the bathroom at the end of the day says she’s gonna “hit the head” and then go home.

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2018 3:45 PM

speaking of sneezes, there is this trash talkin', sailor-cussin' brass-knucks dyke at my AA meeting, but she has the daintiest, little girl sneeze I have ever heard. It just cracks me up as it is the only feminine aspect about her!

by Anonymousreply 51February 16, 2018 3:46 PM

R50, that's not a frau.

Married female /= frau

by Anonymousreply 52February 16, 2018 3:53 PM

There is a woman who is rambling on and on about her son and the high school sports teams he’s on, prom, and what colleges he’s considering going to. Do these people realize that their kid is not special to everyone else and that millions of kids have played high school sports, gone to prom, and gone to college? And she’s speaking so loudly it’s distracting.

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2018 8:35 PM

Women who talk to loud in the elevator. "Oh my Gawd, those shoes are beautiful."

People who keep stuffing themselves into the elevator when it's obvious that it's already over crowded. "Room for one more?" No you dumb fuck, we're already squished in like sardines.

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2018 8:45 PM

Basic bitches with SVP titles who took 20 years to obtain a Bachelors Degree from some online University. Bitch, YOU DUMBER THAN FUCK!

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2018 8:48 PM

I work with a Chinese woman who is very bright and I like her, but she has no idea how many mistakes she makes in her writing and how much time they take to fix.

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2018 8:48 PM

newly re-modeled office space (read: fancy cube farm) where the fraus feel it's their god-given right to put Renuzit or other cheap brand air fresheners on their desks. Of course, the entire office space is made to suffer the odor, including co-workers with chemical sensitivities, allergies and asthma. One colleague nearly had an attack the other day.

Management has already spoken to one frau but the other has avoided confrontation so far. What planet do people live on that they think they can do what they want that affects a group space?

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2018 8:50 PM

The millennials at the "creative agency" I work for love to eat lunch together like it's elementary school. I can always hear them from my desk and it is a barrage of the most ignorant yet strangely hip discussions on how cool the 90's were, bar activities (bar takeovers, guest bartending, happy hours, etc), where the best food is and of course BRUNCH. Also, they are obsessed with college life, all I can say to that is ....GO BACK!

by Anonymousreply 58April 19, 2018 8:51 PM

Some university students cannot, will not put their names on their work. Happens everyday and it has been this way for 10 years at least.

"I sent it by email, so you know who I am."

I make too much money to question the whole endeavor of higher education. The kids are nice and optimistic so I guess its just another world.

Plus, more than half have woeful information literacy. "It says in my article Coca Cola is a responsible company with ethical marketing." "Who wrote that text?" "I don't know." "What does it say at the top or bottom of the pdf on your screen?" "Public release." "What does that mean?" "I don't know, what does it mean?" .......

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2018 8:59 PM

The paid millennial college interns in my office (one of whom is the daughter of a director - how did she land that job you think?) are either decent workers or so abjectly lazy and ignorant I have to restrain from slapping the white off of them, literally.

I've asked one of them to email me know her hours worked each week, so I can process her payroll and get her paid. That's procedure for all interns. She proceeds to send me a snotty email (cc-ing the director, her pal's mom, natch) stating that she's already 'informed me' once of the hours she'll be working every week, and that should suffice.

Well bitch. The rules are interns submit a time check each week or NOT get paid. Period. She's not a salaried employee so as hourly needs to submit her time. I emailed her this cc-ing the financial director, payroll supe, department head & just about everyone else I knew would be interested in her attitude. Let's just say she'll think twice before sending a snotty email again.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2018 8:59 PM

r60, I hope that you included that it's a LEGAL requirement that companies keep a record for hourly employees. If your company is audited, they could get in a lot of trouble because companies need to prove they are paying overtime wages if any have been worked.

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2018 9:04 PM

Way to escalate things R60 and get everyone thinking you're even more high maintenance than the intern, who likely gets a pass for being 21 and not knowing any better.

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2018 9:06 PM

No r62, it wasn't that she didn't know better - of course being her age she can be excused for lack of knowledge. It was the insanely rude, dictatorial and snotty tone in her email that got her wings clipped. It was really something, sent to someone nearly twice her age who co-supervises her work and approves her pay.

Being 20 years old doesn't excuse assholery.

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2018 9:30 PM

Work is hell for most people. Even professionals and strivers who are boastful of their status, salary and acquired creature comforts, secretly want to retire ASAP and throw their college degree in the nearest trashcan.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2018 10:28 PM

The fraus who spend the hours between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. talking about nothing but food. Their whole lives revolve around what they shove into their or their families' pie-holes: what they had or didn't have for breakfast; what sounds good for lunch; what they brought for lunch; how they got screwed out of something from their drive-thru order last night ("Next time I'm gonna look and not drive off till I see that everything's in the bag. I don't care how long I hold up the line."); the worst meal they ever had at their mother-in-law's; that "thing" they all shared last time at Applebee's for Ashley's birthday. On and on and on and on. My god! Hey folks: How about we give the company a little of our time now, hmmm? I bite my tongue to keep from saying it. On birthday celebration days, they all fight to take home part of the cake; or pies; or ice cream. I'M IN HELL!

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2018 10:32 PM

I can't stand people who talk about nothing but food. As a WASP who drinks, I can't relate and find the whole subject tedious.

by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2018 10:34 PM

Women: sleeveless, above-the-knee, summer dresses and flip flops.

Men: long-sleeve shirt and tie and long pants

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2018 10:39 PM

People with low self awareness and shitty business etiquette irritate me. Companies should give all new hires etiquette training. Simple things such as...do not barge into a conversation between two colleagues - especially when they are your managers. Basic stuff.

by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2018 11:27 PM

Seeing a manager "work" 7 hours checking email, while her underling actually works 12 hours to get shit done. This is actual social unjustice. Thank God it's not me. But I hate the unfairness in front of me.

R65 plenty of cube fraus braying on about banal crap "I was at the Wendy's on Main and Cross, and my husband got a cheesesteak yada"

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2018 11:30 PM

My boss interrupts our meetings to do her tax, real estate, social life, and child care over the phone. She has been here a long time and is way too comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2018 11:31 PM

I need tips on tolerating an annoying boss. He grates my nerves with his mannerisms. It takes so much effort to fake a smile and be cordial. What should I think about?

by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2018 11:34 PM

[quote]What should I think about?

"a cheesesteak yada."

by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2018 11:49 PM

The workplace was much more tolerable when people could smoke and drink on the job.

by Anonymousreply 73April 19, 2018 11:57 PM

Smoke? AYFKM? You laughable asshole.

by Anonymousreply 74April 19, 2018 11:58 PM

People were more relaxed r74.

by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2018 12:14 AM

Not people who hated the smell of smoke, r75.

by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2018 12:15 AM

[quote]Seeing a manager "work" 7 hours checking email, while her underling actually works 12 hours to get shit done.

I had a manager like that once, but she had a special trick to inflate the perception of her "work" and the time it took. Throughout the day - during which she might have worked as much as three hours - she would answer lots of emails with nothing replies like "Sounds good" and "Thanks" without actually sending anything. If you saw her PC, there would be many Outlook icons stretched across the taskbar.

At the end of her long, back-breaking day, she would take her laptop home (still turned on, with emails still unsent). Then, around 11 p.m. or so, just before bedtime, she would connect to the office network and send all her replies at once. Of course, we were all meant to say, "OMG, look how late she works!" No one was fooled.

by Anonymousreply 77April 20, 2018 12:25 AM

I'd love to join in the bitching but, honestly, I had a pretty good day. The kitchen is far enough away from our desks that nobody's smells get this far. I've got a great team working for me. They like and respect each other without being too close. They do great work and I trust them to do their jobs without any intervention on my part. They trust me to shield them from the bullshit, keep their schedules and workloads sane, work with them on career opportunities, and get them suitable recognition and rewards for the hard work they do.

My only gripe is that I don't really have a career path of my own. Unless I want to switch to another company I'm not seeing a promotion to a more senior manager role any time in my immediate, or even medium-range, future.

by Anonymousreply 78April 20, 2018 12:30 AM

R67: Well said. I never understood how women were able to dress like they're ready to board a bus for the beach (clam-diggers, flip-flops, etc.), while men were dressed more appropriately to an office environment, albeit a business-casual one.

by Anonymousreply 79April 20, 2018 12:32 AM

Huh, where I work the women are pretty pulled together and the men wear crummy sweatshirts and old khakis that have been through the washing machine with the kids' dirty overalls a thousand times.

by Anonymousreply 80April 20, 2018 12:36 AM

Lots of women in my office dress in black yoga pants that they try to pass off as "dress pants," with a long-sleeved Jersey-type shirt.

by Anonymousreply 81April 20, 2018 12:42 AM

Shorted Motorpoint and lost half a million pounds in London today. Broker called when I was out of range competing in the Patrouille des Glaciers. Upon arrival in Verbier, the champagne was burnt.

by Anonymousreply 82April 20, 2018 12:44 AM

A teenage girl has a queen bitch attitude and should be fired. My job is boring.

by Anonymousreply 83April 20, 2018 12:45 AM

...or how about a giant T-shirt, bedazzled in abstract fashion, passed off as legitimate business-casual wear?

by Anonymousreply 84April 20, 2018 12:53 AM

Humans are awful. This is why I work in a zoo.

by Anonymousreply 85April 20, 2018 3:02 AM

Picture it: a white woman feels challenged or uncomfortable about something a Black person said or did.

Instead of using her words, she cries.

Instantly, no matter what the initial catalyst of the situation is, she ends up being appeased, pacified and pampered.

Lawd knows we’ve all seen virtual white woman tears shut down conversation, even if she was the instigator of conflict.

The other person? Ends up being scolded. Or fired. Or arrested. Or killed. When Lorelei cries, heads roll.

Isn’t it the story of countless Black folks who have to work with white women who don’t know how to get anything but positive feedback?

Isn’t it the story of why 2 men got arrested for standing in Starbucks?

Isn’t it the story of Emmett Till?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86April 20, 2018 3:05 AM

“White women tears are multipurpose: They derail conversation, they emotionally bully others (particularly people of color), and they are almost never questioned—which only adds to the power of a white woman and her tears.”

by Anonymousreply 87April 20, 2018 3:13 AM

offices suck. we really have to kill corporate america. it always has and always will suck.

by Anonymousreply 88April 20, 2018 3:14 AM

I’ve only seen one person cry in 35 years. An incompetent Hungarian engineer in the Cold War years, working at a Defense Dept. plant, and bread winner for her and her mother. She was bullied. People should have been kinder to her.

How did she get a job working with submarines? It was like that show, the Amerikans.

by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2018 3:18 AM

we have created the shittiest culture in human history.

by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2018 3:34 AM

I hope ur fired, r60. Nasty fucking fag..

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2018 3:51 AM

Too many things to mention. I fucking HATE open office environments and I know no one who enjoys them. Sadly, I work in a place where we have this...and to show how "hip" and young we are, we have to have music blasting over speakers in the office all day. Nevermind that I'm an editor and part of my job is to listen to dialog all day and remove places where the director talks so I have to listen closely. Nevermind that I have to edit music and mix. They give us headphones! Nevermind that people are constantly screaming across the office to each other and sometimes AT each other. We have one guy who actually has an office but he likes to keep his door open while he screams obscenities at people on the phone. All the kids in the office are millennials who have zero clue as to how to hold a conversation. They are also really into "hanging out" after office hours and invite me to go with them even though I'm almost 50. Last night we even had a "team building" event after hours at a bowling alley. So not only did I have to spend 8 hours with them, I had to go to a bowling alley and pretend I was having fun on my own time. It's nice they did that, I guess but still, after work?

And every week it's cupcakes or donuts or something in the break room for someone's birthday or just because. I get it, they are trying. I've worked for companies in the past who didn't do anything for us...but this whole "trying to create a fun, open working environment" for the youngsters these days is just so tiring. I am just there to do my work (which I do very well) and go home. We already give up so much of our lives to work, do we really NEED all this bonding shit?

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2018 4:15 AM

I like R60. You rock, Doll.

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2018 4:30 AM

I work from home and after reading all of these tales I’m glad as Hell that I do!

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2018 6:01 AM

I like R92. Empathizing with you.

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2018 6:28 AM

Our office manager. Chooses furnishings and carpeting. Sits in her office all day, legs wrapped around each other, thumbing through catalogs looking for shit to make the office a "comforting" work space. What a waste. I want to throw her out the window. We're on fl 26.

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2018 6:57 AM

there's this guy who stutters at my office. he barely gets a word out. that's not the issue, he gets his shit done..but why he insists on having small talk with people who are passing by is beyond me. he will get stuck on the "h" of "hey" and have people who were on their way to somewhere circling back. whyyyyyyy. just give them a wave, dude.

second dude is doing running commentary of everything he does. all day long. "i'm gonna open my mails." "i got a mail saying....., i'll forward it to you." "should i put jack in cc?" "i'ma put jack in cc" "did you get it? the one that says.....?"

by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2018 7:21 AM

R92 I sympathize. Fortunately the building that I'm in has enough reservable conference rooms and huddle rooms that I can usually find a place to do my down-the-rabbit-hole analyst work outside of the open office environment in which we all "collaborate" separately. [html removed]

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2018 7:47 AM

[quote]I like [R92]. Empathizing with you.

R92 seems like a Debbie Downer. Nobody [bold]forced[/bold] them to go bowling or to partake of the communal treats (if they do the latter). The millennials (it is always the millennials) ought to let R92’s old, curmudgeonly self be. Their efforts are wasted on that one.

by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2018 7:51 AM

People being constantly moved around.

by Anonymousreply 100April 20, 2018 8:18 AM

Working in central London and the temps are in the 80s, upper 20s, yet we have no aircon. Everyone is wearing suits and it's fuggy and fetid. The tube is like some kind of hellish nightmare.

It hasn't been this hot in April in London since the 1940s!

by Anonymousreply 101April 20, 2018 8:22 AM

R40, were you brought up with Anne Frank?

Who cares about a damn sneeze?

by Anonymousreply 102April 20, 2018 9:13 AM

There are a lot of intolerant schizoid personality types on this thread complaining about every little social interaction at work.

You're getting paid...I don't care who has cake, talks about their kids or does nothing in the office...myob.

by Anonymousreply 103April 20, 2018 9:28 AM

We've got a person who removes all the caps from the office-issued ball point pens and throws them away. This mystery person doesn't just remove the caps from the pen they are using, they go all around the workplace discarding all the caps. The pens are now free to roll, roll, roll off every desk and counter. Where's the pen I just had? Oh, it's in the crack between the counter and the wall with a hundred of its friends.

by Anonymousreply 104April 20, 2018 10:09 AM

There’s been a lot of complaining about fraus on this thread, but in my office, it’s the straight men with kids who take the most advantage of our so-called “flexible work” environment.

The manager in the office next to mine always finds an excuse to leave by noon on Friday, and it’s always, ALWAYS for the children. That’s in addition to the excessive vacation/personal time he takes off “for the children.” Even though the children are in school and he has a stay-at-home wife. To hide his uselessness, he touts himself as an “ideas” guy and recently tried to take credit for coming up with the concept for a successful project I steered, stressed out over, and worked overtime to make happen. My boss never challenges him because he hates confrontation. I’m not afraid of confrontation and called him on his bullshit when he brought up up his pseudo-contribution to my project in a meeting recently.

The other super dad in the office also uses the kids as an excuse to get out of work. But then you find out he actually spent his long weekend/week off playing golf with his buddies while his wife got stuck with the children. And then when his wife (a manager in a big corporation) has to travel a few days for business, he moans and groans to us about how hard it is to be a “single dad”!! This is the same guy who, when his wife had their second kid, took advantage of our two week paternity leave policy by spending one week after the birth to spend time with his wife and newborn but saved the second week for a later date so he could use it “to go somewhere fun.”

The men and women in my office who chose not to procreate never have these issues., it seems.

by Anonymousreply 105April 20, 2018 11:12 AM

The Director of Marketing who "works from home" every Monday and Friday because, you know, she has kids. Her fucking kids are in school all day and she lives two miles away from the office but apparently working from home every Monday and Friday is absolutely necessary. Never answers her phone. If you leave her a VM or send her an email at 10:00 in the morning she just *might* get back to you at 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Such fun when there's a deadline approaching or people are breathing down your neck to get an answer for a time-sensitive issue! I could go on and on, god is it frustrating.

Sometimes I think about setting up an anonymous email account and telling her "you're not working from home, you're just a LAZY-ASS BITCH!"

by Anonymousreply 106April 20, 2018 11:29 AM

We have a whole heap of millennials in our marketin office.. While all of them are constantly on social media, not ONE of them is able to come up with a concept to market our products through social media. It seems that while people are adept at using these platforms they have no insight into how they work nor how we could make them work for our company.

by Anonymousreply 107April 20, 2018 11:35 AM

Don’t bring your baby to work. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 108April 20, 2018 11:40 AM

Reading through these comments, it's understandable that there is no management in Corporate America today. I see it myself. People are hired because their resume says they can do X. But that doesn't mean they are a good manager of people.

by Anonymousreply 109April 20, 2018 11:48 AM

My cat woke me up at 7:00 A.M. and purred in my ear....... So annoying.

I'm basking in the glow of sweet retirement, and enjoying every freaking minute.

Have an above average day @ the "office" gentlemen!

by Anonymousreply 110April 20, 2018 12:20 PM

I'm basking in the glow of being hot and in my 30s.

by Anonymousreply 111April 20, 2018 12:44 PM

I worked with a lady who would deliberately open the big hole in the salt and pepper shakers on the lunch tables when she thought no one was looking. Equal opportunity PSYCHO.

by Anonymousreply 112April 20, 2018 2:15 PM

R77 Wow she sounds like a dead ringer for a manager I used to work with. Was her name Michelle by any chance? This lady (and I use the term VERY loosely) also had to "work" from home constantly. Something was ALWAYS wrong with her 2 year old she had at 40, resulting from a one-night stand. (She made sure to tell all of us this, in case we were unaware of how sexy, desirable and youthful she is.) She did the exact same thing with her emails. Sometimes even sending them at like 2 am...I can hear her chardonnay-slurring to herself "they will see how dedicated I am, burning the midnight oil!" She bullshitted and faked and lied her way to her management position (mainly by watching YouTube tutorials of our software and then inserting key words and phrases from them into conversations with HQ). It took them about 2 years to figure out she was completely full of shit and fire her. But that epic Walk of Shame out of the building was nothing short of exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 113April 20, 2018 2:30 PM

R81 Oh god the yoga pants. So fucking sick of seeing camel toes, ass cracks and cellulite. If you're going to wear leggings, please do us all a solid and buy the kind with thicker fabric?? Otherwise, they are transparent. R84 at least the giant bedazzled T-shirts cover all or most of the afore mentioned nastiness.

by Anonymousreply 114April 20, 2018 2:37 PM

I am certain you have one of these at your office- the LOUD-KNOW-IT-ALL BRO

When there is a conversation going on in the kitchen, guess who comes out to join in and offer his "two cents"?

He doesn't pick up his feet when he walks so you can hear him coming, that is my cue to leave the room.

Loves to talk about himself and predict the weather but the worst part is that he calls everyone Bromigo.

I WANT TO KILL HIM

by Anonymousreply 115April 20, 2018 2:45 PM

One of the biggest problems with the corporate world today is that corporations waste so much time time trying to force everyone to be one big happy family (open office spaces, team building, department lunches, etc) and can’t understand that some people just want to do their work and go home and aren’t interested in trying to be friends with annoying coworkers. Also, managers are more worried about trying to be everyone’s friend instead of acting like a manager and disciplining lazy employees. Have the people who are managers have no leadership skills whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 116April 20, 2018 2:48 PM

The goddamn morning "huddles." We just want to get to our desks and start working, but no, at exactly 8:30, we all have to trudge over into the centre of the office so one of the supervisors--none of whom ever smile or have any spark or personality to them--can say the same shit every single morning in a dead monotone: "So, today, we have 13 people on the phones...there is a quality control meeting between 1 and 2 today...and Samantha is on her flex day today so talk to Chris or Josh if you have questions. And fun fact of the day [this last bit is CRINGE and FURY-inducing], there are more hamburgers sold in China than bla bla bla...okay have a good day, people." The "fun fact," related to nothing, delivered in a dead voice, setting no tone or humour at all to the day. Then we all go back to our desks. Instead of a useless morning huddle, couldn't this information--with its concluding fun fucking fact--be conveyed in an email, considering we get a billion of them per day relating to everything and anything trivial? Is it a way to check for lateness, or just control the masses?

The frau who sits behind me who is at least 60, has the standard grey bob, uses her ergonomic desk so she's always standing, and when she makes a mistake she always says "Oh, schnitzel!" She also giggles. I mean, GIGGLES. It's a girlish sort of noise where her register goes very high up at the end, and beyond inappropriate, and I'm just glad I get to listen to YouTube instead of her "cute" noises, because it triggers homicidal rage in me.

by Anonymousreply 117April 20, 2018 3:03 PM

r115 I work with two guys like that and I also fantasize about how they could die.

by Anonymousreply 118April 20, 2018 3:04 PM

[quote][R77] Wow she sounds like a dead ringer for a manager I used to work with. Was her name Michelle by any chance?

Sorry, R113, she's not named Michelle, which means there are at least two of them. Mine, like yours, had a knack for picking up the right buzzwords to regurgitate in front of important people, whether she had a clue what she was talking about or not. Also, both of them seem to have been fired (though mine, to save face, was probably "encouraged" to resign).

by Anonymousreply 119April 20, 2018 3:24 PM

I am 56. I have had 2 good female bosses in my life. The first was tall, slim, attractive, Seven Sister grad, late 50's (I was 25), happily married, Park Avenue apartment, 2 vacation homes, 3 kids -- all great successes 2 having already made a several million bucks of their own money. Her husband was charming and I could tell he was still fucking her.

The 2nd was a lesbian MD at Lehman Brothers. She smoked, drank, swore, she liked to parky like a Wall Street Guy, and she was a genius and not at all a micro manager.

Every other female boss has been, on a scale of 1-10 10 being excellent, between 2 and negative 9.

Oh yeah there was a nice lady boss at the department store I worked at in HS.

by Anonymousreply 120April 20, 2018 3:45 PM

This should probably go in the "unpopular opinions" thread, but most of the female bosses I've encountered have been complete cunts, and totally petty and insecure. Male bosses are much easier to get along with, imho.

by Anonymousreply 121April 20, 2018 3:47 PM

I get the feeling that normal women who enter into management in business, don't stick around for all that long.

by Anonymousreply 122April 20, 2018 3:48 PM

[quote] R97: there's this guy who stutters at my office.

Oh, please be nice! Make him a secret project, even, to be nice to him and be his friend. What a nightmare his life must be. I don’t stutter, but I’m almost perfect, and try to be nice. Seriously, please find a new job yourself, if this is a problem for you.

We can be cunts without being crewl, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 123April 20, 2018 4:01 PM

R121 And you would be surprised (or maybe not) at how many women have said the same thing and also say they don’t like working for women. That says a lot right there.

by Anonymousreply 124April 20, 2018 4:11 PM

[quote] One of the biggest problems with the corporate world today is that corporations waste so much time time trying to force everyone to be one big happy family (open office spaces, team building, department lunches, etc) and can’t understand that some people just want to do their work and go home and aren’t interested in trying to be friends with annoying coworkers.

That "happy family/team player" bullshit is the worst. This reminds me of a company I used to work for where we were required to high-five and fist bump passing co-workers throughout the day to "keep up the morale." Some co-workers would actually report those "non-team players" who were not drinking the Kool-Aid and participating in this stupidity (so many demerits and you were written up, forced to rewatch the company video, and given a warning for termination). If that wasn't bad enough, at the end of the once a month "pow wow" meetings, all the employees were required to line up with their hands held out while the manager ran past giving everyone a single long high-five. The whole thing was sickening.

by Anonymousreply 125April 20, 2018 4:13 PM

R77 & R119 Oh I am so sorry you didn't get to witness her disgraced departure! I forgot another little tidbit from my time working with Michelle. She started fucking the boss pretty soon after she was hired (another reason she got promoted so quickly). He moved her into his office, and she immediately put up a picture of a male lion walking through tall grass with the caption "A lion never loses sleep over the opinions of sheep." This bitch is so completely delusional...but I bet the hole burned into the side of her face by all of us "sheep" as she was escorted from the building still burns.

by Anonymousreply 126April 20, 2018 4:13 PM

I agree with R103. There are a million issues with cake, etc. A guy across the street raved about his pizza parties on Friday night. He was a millionaire, but liked free pizza that his employer used to get him to work for essentially nothing on Friday night. That was bizarre, I thought. I can buy my own pizza, and I’m not worth anywhere near that much. And Friday night? He was single and in his late 30s, prime nightclub thingy.

However, R103 is right, pizza is the smallest of matters. If, however, it represents an attitude of abusing salaried employees to get them to work absurd hours for “cake”, Marie Antoinette style, in lieu of proper compensation, i.e., money, then that is the matter, isn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 127April 20, 2018 4:14 PM

Someone let a huge fart in my office area and won’t admit to it.

by Anonymousreply 128April 20, 2018 4:15 PM

My new boss once asked where I lived and if I had kids, as for who he could depend on in storms and such to go in to work, as I am a mile away and take the subway. He’s Canadian and might not know our laws about kids.

I set him straight right there. I said I lived close to work and paid a premium for the privilege for my own reasons and not to convienence the company, etc. I was about 30 and am pretty proud of myself for speaking up. It’s hard to be intellectually able to speak up on the fly like that, when it’s needed.

One time, it was the April 1 snow storm, I was the only one who went in to the office. I had a darn appointment scheduled that I didn’t expect I could cancel. The other guy showed, so, ... I also went to work when Hurricane Gloria made landfall in my own town. That was silly, but I wasn’t listening to the radio, and I was at a new job, and it was my first post-college job, so, ...

by Anonymousreply 129April 20, 2018 4:35 PM

r124 I've had a number of female co-workers tell me they prefer working for a man over a woman. I've managed several women who have told me (in confidence) that they'll never work for another female boss again. And god forbid a young, attractive woman has a middle-aged, bitter hag for a boss. These hags are AWFUL to these women.

Interestingly, I've noticed it's the complete opposite with men. Middle-aged, dumpy male bosses are usually very fair and courteous to their young, good-looking male subordinates.

by Anonymousreply 130April 20, 2018 4:36 PM

[quote]and she immediately put up a picture of a male lion walking through tall grass with the caption "A lion never loses sleep over the opinions of sheep."

OMG, R126, that is truly vile! Most sociopaths have the smarts to pretend to be something else. Maybe Michelle missed class the day they taught that.

by Anonymousreply 131April 20, 2018 4:37 PM

[quote]One of the biggest problems with the corporate world today is that corporations waste so much time time trying to force everyone to be one big happy family (open office spaces, team building, department lunches, etc) and can’t understand that some people just want to do their work and go home and aren’t interested in trying to be friends with annoying coworkers.

The people who instigate this "one big happy family" bullshit tend to have no life outside of the office, so this dumb shit is they only way they can have what passes for a social life. Those of us who have a spouse/partner and real friends resent it.

No, I don't want to spend my Saturday at some stupid rock-climbing retreat with my co-workers because I have SHIT TO DO with my real friends over the weekend!

by Anonymousreply 132April 20, 2018 4:41 PM

People who insist on using speaker phone for every phone call at their desk. Nobody gives a fuck about your phone call conversations except you.

by Anonymousreply 133April 20, 2018 4:41 PM

[quote]She started fucking the boss pretty soon after she was hired (another reason she got promoted so quickly). He moved her into his office,

I know a great way of solving that problem PERMANENTLY.

by Anonymousreply 134April 20, 2018 4:43 PM

[quote]People who insist on using speaker phone for every phone call at their desk. Nobody gives a fuck about your phone call conversations except you.

I often fantasize about punching these fuckers square in the face.

by Anonymousreply 135April 20, 2018 4:49 PM

R134 I know about 50 people who would have paid you to do it Betty!

by Anonymousreply 136April 20, 2018 5:26 PM

R125 High-fives save lives.

by Anonymousreply 137April 20, 2018 5:27 PM

R123, i don't need to make him a "project". he is a nice guys and all of us talk to him regularly. my issue is that he has terrible timing and choses the worst moments to start small talk, like people rushing past his office because they are late to a meeting. i'm not an asshole, so i'll stop and wait for him to ask me how i like the weather, just to tell him that i'm busy right now and will talk to him over lunch. and then i have to do the whole awkward opening the door and sneaking inside a meeting thing.

by Anonymousreply 138April 20, 2018 5:28 PM

I've worked for a few homophobic bosses too and would get annoyed hearing them yuck it up and making gay jokes with male co-workers.

by Anonymousreply 139April 20, 2018 5:33 PM

R139 You should be turning them in and if the company doesn’t do anything you should sue. That crap should not be tolerated in 2018.

What hick town do you live in? Even I just live in a regular sized town and that wouldn’t be tolerated at any company here.

by Anonymousreply 140April 20, 2018 5:54 PM

We share the floor with an online advertising firm that apparently doesn’t hire anyone over 23. All day long, groups of them loudly walk down the hall to go to Starbucks next door. It sounds like a middle school between classes. Between the female uptalking, the shouting, the boisterous laughter, I half expect them to break out into a High School Musical number. Their FB shows them playing touch football in the park across the street.

by Anonymousreply 141April 20, 2018 6:03 PM

(R86) I was a supervisor for several years. Whenever I was addressing performance issues and the tears poured forth, I would calmly state "When you are finished, we can continue". Then I would sit silently. You would be surprised how quickly the waterworks ended when they realized they were not going to work to deflect from the issue.

by Anonymousreply 142April 20, 2018 6:05 PM

[quote] You should be turning them in and if the company doesn’t do anything you should sue. That crap should not be tolerated in 2018. What hick town do you live in? Even I just live in a regular sized town and that wouldn’t be tolerated at any company here.

Los Angeles, believe it or not. Never anything directly to me, but things overheard. This type of talk happened at 3 different companies I worked for. Two of which are no longer in business. One manager (Peter Newton John) described a male model ("He looks like some faggot with AIDS") at an internet company I worked for in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 143April 20, 2018 6:14 PM

"Why doesn't my (vehicle) insurance cover..."

It's the cheapest on the market - you work it out, you dingbat!

by Anonymousreply 144April 20, 2018 6:42 PM

I'll get smashed for this but our company recently decided to employ disabled people. We were all for it but the reality - for our department - is that it is just one big pain in the ass. We have a guy in a wheelchair who was once a former bro type before his accident and is basically a disabled jerk who makes snide comments about me and other staff. We also have to get his coffee for him, give him his tablets, open the doors, get his printing for him and a million other things every day. He's not even all that good at his job.

And you also have to take into account social functions which are never mentioned in those 'heartwarming' news stores about disabled workplace integration. Someone has to be with him to cut up his food, give him his drinks, help him with the doors and all that. Basically, one of us has to be his carer at all lunches, dinners, parties and functions. It usually falls to one of the guys/lesbians because the girlie women in the group all want to play social dress ups and relax and gossip/mingle so they run to the opposite end of the room when he arrives. Lat year I decided not to go to the annual dinner (which is huge bash at a prestigious restaurant) because I knew I'd be stuck with him all night and I'd rather just be at home than cutting up food an making awkward chat for three hours with someone I don't even like a as a person.

Interestingly enough, the SJW manager who instigated this disabled program ended up with him and made it very clear to two other workers that they had to lstay him so she could leave and get on with enjoying her evening.

by Anonymousreply 145April 20, 2018 8:03 PM

r145 why is it your job to look after him AND do your job too? I've worked with many disabled people who could cut their own food, took themselves to the toilet etc. That's some messed up shit. i would think his rights to a level playing field end when they compromise you or your work.

by Anonymousreply 146April 20, 2018 8:17 PM

[R146] He does have a carer come in and sort him out for lunch but it is the staff - mainly three of us who work near him - that get stuck with his everyday work requirements.

by Anonymousreply 147April 20, 2018 8:27 PM

Will someone please explain to be how you get to become ‘That Guy’?

You know who I mean, each office has one.

He’s middle-aged, middle-management. Been here forever, never gets caught in any downsizing or reorganization.

He essentially does nothing. He spends all day walking around, bothering other people. He sits in his office and makes long personal calls, making no attempt to hide them. He pretends to take notes in meetings but never follows through on his assignments, yet there are no repercussions.

He comes in late, leaves early and has been known to disappear for hours during the day. It’s now Friday afternoon and he’s been gone since 3.

Talking to his boss or upper management is useless, he’s Teflon

by Anonymousreply 148April 20, 2018 8:45 PM

R148 He has to be buddies with a higher up? Sounds like a douche and a half though. Sorry, that does suck.

by Anonymousreply 149April 20, 2018 8:50 PM

Ok, R138, you sound nice. You just described your co-worker in a way I sympathized with.

by Anonymousreply 150April 20, 2018 8:52 PM

I worked with a kind of obese guy - not obese, but bordering on so - when people got lunch he would go and ask them about what they were eating. One day, I got a grilled cheese with french fries. He came up, said "so whatcha eating? that looks good". I walked away from my desk, as I was walking back, I watched him scoop a handful of fries. He was also known to walk into the men's bathroom with a newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 151April 20, 2018 8:53 PM

No, R140, it’s still legal in many states to fire Gays for being Gay! Marriage is sacrosanct everywhere, but not breathing while Gay.

by Anonymousreply 152April 20, 2018 8:54 PM

R151 I think I would have thrown my fries away. I bet that fucker doesn't wash his hands either.

by Anonymousreply 153April 20, 2018 8:55 PM

I just had a call with a salesman. He first berated me for not remembering “our” previous phone call. It was actually he and my contractor, so I wasn’t involved with the call. Then he berated me because he can’t remember the name of everyone he speaks with. There was more like that. I’ll bet he’s the owner’s son in law, because he would have said if he was the owner, I think. I’m sure he’s a peach to work with. I don’t think I will buy from him.

by Anonymousreply 154April 20, 2018 9:04 PM

The Indian guys microwave their curries without a cover and it splatters all inside the microwave. When this is brought up, they blink as if they are clueless. Men don't clean microwaves!

by Anonymousreply 155April 20, 2018 9:29 PM

"Ask" has become a noun. Nobody can apparently manage the two syllables in "project" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 156April 20, 2018 9:44 PM

My two best managers have been the toughest. They didn't bullshit, they didn't lie, they didn't waste time. . One was a man, one was a woman.

I've had some really bad managers too. Any manager who raises their voice needs to go. They aren't your parent and that shouldn't be tolerated.

by Anonymousreply 157April 20, 2018 9:47 PM

I loathe my manager---the most stereotypical gay guy I have every encountered. Loves to create drama and is a king of buzz words but can't do his job to save his life. He's a slut to boot and I fantasize about him meeting a gay serial killer

by Anonymousreply 158April 20, 2018 9:52 PM

Many middle managers do little but create chaos.

by Anonymousreply 159April 20, 2018 9:55 PM

Did you ever call out someone who was fake crying? The manager of my office was a tough as nails manipulative sociopath who would weep to get her own way. She started it in the midst of another in a long string of arguments over her lousy treatment of the staff and I'd had enough. .I said "All right, here we go! Now we turn on the tear factory. Boo Hoo. Poor Kathleen doesn't get her way so now we're gonna pretend to cry about it. It doesn't work on me." Stopped her in her fucking tracks. She just sat there with her jaw hanging open, stunned either that I saw through it or that I would talk to her that way. But the tears stopped instantly!! I fired her for stealing about 2 months later.

by Anonymousreply 160April 20, 2018 10:41 PM

I’ve had some lousy male bosses—most recently a guy who had a mistress in another state and would schedule useless business trips just to have an excuse to meet up with her, at the company’s expense and away from the prying eyes of his wife. He was never around when we needed him or when we were putting out fires caused by his excessive road-tripping. He ignored his own job and blamed underlings (including his AA) for his blunders. He eventually got caught in a lie and was let go.

Another boss of mine got divorced within weeks of getting the job at our company. So for the first year on the job, he spent most of his time on personal calls fighting with his estranged wife, his lawyer, and/or his kids. (I had to hear all this because I was in the office next to his and the walls were paper thin). After he was fired, I was given access to his company email account to respond to any urgent messages from clients trying to contact the fired boss. No client emails came in—but apparently, he was in a fantasy football league with his buddies, who ccd him on their email chains. He didn’t tell these idiots for at least a week that he’d been let go, so I’d get all their profanity-laced emails. DOZENS of them each day. Fired guy was also stupid enough to save his x-rated email exchanges with his girlfriend on his work account. The IT guy who had to give me access to fired guy’s account asked “when did this guy ever have time to do any work?” Answer: he didn’t, which is why he got canned.

by Anonymousreply 161April 20, 2018 11:28 PM

R86 and R142 and R160 - I reventky had a cryer reporting to me. The first time that we needed to discuss her poor performance the tears flowed. She said: “I’m sorry if my crying makes you uncomfortable” to which I replied: “It doesn’t make me uncomfortable it makes my slightly impatient as I have to wait for you to stop before resuming the conversation”.

She didn’t cry after that and resigned two weeks later.

by Anonymousreply 162April 21, 2018 1:14 AM

*recently

by Anonymousreply 163April 21, 2018 1:15 AM

I loathe The Bitchy EAs. All about power-by-association, the younger amateurs, that is. Turn your back on them, piss them off, they have the power to destroy your career; they know it and will enjoy it. The stitches and subsequent scars will be endless.

However, the more experienced (dare I say, older) Bitchy EAs are cool; they'll help you achieve success, ensure your job is productive and rewarding, as doing so makes their job and your boss' job easier, if not effortless. Covet them. They are the first to know everything, absolutely everything. You want them on your side.

by Anonymousreply 164April 21, 2018 1:32 AM

Hello r47! That must be very frustrating. You could start a thread and ask how the DLers would answer your annoying coworker's inquiry. I would truly love to hear what they come up with!

by Anonymousreply 165April 21, 2018 1:33 AM

R99 I'd like a cupcake

by Anonymousreply 166April 21, 2018 2:00 AM

R131. I would have had a picture of a sheep in my office , with the caption, "Sorry, did you say something ?"

by Anonymousreply 167April 21, 2018 2:16 AM

Excellent, R167! Sometimes, the best way to fight back is to feign indifference.

by Anonymousreply 168April 21, 2018 2:55 AM

There is an emotional unstable cunt at my work who actually went to HR and complained that me and a few other coworkers never invited her out to lunch. I kid you not. Of course HR didn’t do anything, but it just goes to show how so many people can’t comprehend that this is business, not elementary school, and nobody has to interact with someone if it’s not work related. The corporate world is getting more and more immature by the day.

by Anonymousreply 169April 21, 2018 3:04 AM

Pardon me if I insist that you buy the Staples brand of file folder versus the Smead version at a much higher price, especially when you’re ordering dozens of boxes at a time. No one cares about the quality of your file that is going to storage in a year anyway, toots. Actual conversation today. This bitch has no concept of a budget.

by Anonymousreply 170April 21, 2018 3:05 AM

Early in my career, I had interactions with a specific department whose work output affected ours. I was basically auditing their work and having to point out their (numerous) errors, which of course put pressure on their supervisor to explain why they were all so bad.

After unsuccessfully trying to rebut my findings, that supervisor told my boss that all of her employees thought I was rude because when I came to pick up stuff, I didn’t pop in to chat with everyone and perhaps that was creating a negative environment that was affecting them. My boss sat there silently for a good 30 seconds and finally said “oh my God, you’re serious!” Loved her for that.

by Anonymousreply 171April 21, 2018 3:17 AM

great thread! got a few big laughs reading here.

by Anonymousreply 172April 21, 2018 3:24 AM

The manager in charge of my division made a stupid error of judgement today that almost immediately bit him in the ass. My colleague and I warned him, but he didn't listen. Now there will be several weeks (maybe months) of drama that I will have to help clean up.

Meanwhile, it seems to have never occurred to our HR department that our contractors and temps should receive the same kind of training (workplace violence, sexual harrassment, etc.) that all of the regular employees are required to do on a regular basis. They also have not bothered to reach out to the temp agency and contract companies to ask if their people have taken any relevant training. I pointed this out to them weeks ago and... *crickets* ... This is the same HR department that decided that we needed to implement a new system immediately, but that we would need to wait six weeks for training.

by Anonymousreply 173April 21, 2018 3:33 AM

We have such odd characters at my work. My boss is a douche bag. French, terrorist beard, wears only name brand clothing like Versace jackets and $800 jeans. He drives fancy cars. He has no people skills unless you happen to be a cute, young girl and then he will attempt to flirt with you. He has no idea how to talk to me because I'm a lesbian. It's gotten kind of funny to mess with him because he's so awkward with me. He will also scream shit at people when he's pissed...temper tantrums, etc. I once heard him talking about a former female employee and he said, "If I ever see her again, I'm fucking going to throw her out the fucking window." And he was serious. I used to be intimidated by him but now I think he's just a major coke head douche bag.

We have a woman at our work who works in HR. She's so strange. If you try to have a normal conversation with her, she will whisper...everything. Seriously. Half the time she will hold up her hand to her mouth like she's telling you some huge secret, when in fact, she's just telling you she will be off on Friday for a doctor's appointment or that she discovered there was no tp in the ladies room. She of course, has an allergy to everything. I just don't understand her need to whisper. People at the office refer to a conversation with her as "being held hostage" because she will just whisper and whisper because she has no social cues as to when to stop. She will whisper her goddamn life story to you if you let her. I often talk to her in a loud voice just to make her uncomfortable. But the whispering thing...I don't get it. My only explanation is that she was abused or something where she had to walk on eggshells and be quiet. If she approaches you at your desk, she will literally stand next to you and whisper into your ear...because you know, open office environment!

by Anonymousreply 174April 21, 2018 3:58 AM

r99, you likely haven't worked anywhere with this sort of bullshit "teambuilding" requirement. You can't opt out of the events because then you are not part of the team and you will therefore, be seen as an "other" and likely fired. It's a pressure tactic.

We just had a goddamn QandA session today and the boss said we are going to be doing a lot more of these...including weekend trips....nope, nope, nope. He actually said, "we spend more time with each other than with our families, we really should have fun together."

Know what would be "fun?" Giving us some extra time off every so often to actually SEE our fucking families.

by Anonymousreply 175April 21, 2018 4:04 AM

Women don't REALLY burst into fake tears in an office to try to get away with shit, do they? I mean, y'all are just playing along with the dumb psycho bitch who wrote the blog at R56, right?

by Anonymousreply 176April 21, 2018 5:38 AM

r176 yes they do, especially millennials.

I've witnessed it at work, but not in a cubicle setting. I don't agree with the racial angle of the author, because I think it happens across the board; blacks aren't targeted anymore than any other group. And if we're being fair about female stereotypes, the angry black woman has a lot of truth behind it, too.

by Anonymousreply 177April 21, 2018 5:43 AM

All you need to know about HR.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178April 21, 2018 1:47 PM

We have a newish HR person who started out promising (says the right things) but has turned into a real nightmare. She replaced a woman who was there for a couple decades who pretty much stayed in the background and did her own work, which befits the position. This one's first priority was outsourcing all of her tasks out to different departments. We now have admin assistants with access to salary info for everyone in the company, and they also can get to the disciplinary files. Instead of doing actual work, this woman just sends weekly email ticklers about things that have yet to be done because she has tasked recent college grads with the work that they have no business doing. "Have you done this, yet?" "What about this?" Fucking annoying as shit! This last week, I tried to schedule a meeting with her to discuss all of this and more, but she has declined four different invitations so far, always saying "can't make it that afternoon, sorry." I told her to make sure her Outlook calendar was up-to-date because that's what we use to schedule meetings. I heard that she didn't take too kindly to that suggestion. She's about to get her wings clipped and probably knows it.

by Anonymousreply 179April 21, 2018 9:28 PM

^I also found out that she is "working from home" two or three days a week and that was one of the reasons why she was unable to meet on Monday. I'm going to relish telling her that her right to telework is being revoked. I think she lives an hour away.

by Anonymousreply 180April 21, 2018 9:30 PM

One thing that annoys the fuck out of me is how the past five years or so, everyone thinks it’s clever to say “reach out.” It sounds so fucking stupid. You are not Diana Ross. What the fuck happened to “contact” or “call” or “email”? “Reach out” sounds so fucking over the top and exaggerated, as if you’re going above and beyond.🙄

by Anonymousreply 181April 21, 2018 9:45 PM

We got one old gal literally wheezing in when she can, pushing in her2 oxygen tanks on a walker. Poor thing doesn't want to quit because she hates being at her home and, she has a couple more months until her 20 years. She weighs over 300 lbs and she lives to gossip. What really bugs me is when "Doris" grills her temp neighbor about what the temp ate for lunch. She wants details of the temp's lunch. Everyday.

by Anonymousreply 182April 22, 2018 3:08 AM

r179 "We now have admin assistants with access to salary info for everyone in the company, and they also can get to the disciplinary files. "

smells like a sweet,sweet lawsuit in the making!

by Anonymousreply 183April 22, 2018 3:36 AM

Anyone besides me work in a department where fraus whine and complain about how swamped they are with work, yet they spend half their day having talking marathons? Maybe the bitches would get their work done if they actually spent some time doing it.

by Anonymousreply 184April 22, 2018 3:50 AM

[quote]Anyone besides me work in a department where fraus whine and complain about how swamped they are with work, yet they spend half their day having talking marathons?

I once described that very situation to someone by saying, "No matter how busy they are, they can always spare an hour or two to tell you how busy they are." Sad, but true.

by Anonymousreply 185April 22, 2018 3:59 AM

Been there , R184 and R185.

In the very near future, AI should be able to say to these fraus (in a robotic Lilith Crane deadpan): "it is sad to hear that you have maximized your time in delaying your tasks. Your completed assignments remain due in seven minutes" followed by "Begin delay-elimination sequence in 5, 4, 3, 2..."

by Anonymousreply 186April 22, 2018 4:26 AM

We have a supervisor in one department that spends the last 2 hours of every day talking to one direct report or another (not about work) and then bitches behind their backs about how they never get stuff done.

by Anonymousreply 187April 22, 2018 4:34 AM

We have a mentally ill contractor who does an hour or two of work a day and spends the rest of the time wandering around stirring up gossip and attempting to involve herself in things that don't concern her. Whenever she gets called on her shit or feels unappreciated, she sulks in her workspace for a day and then is back at her shenanigans the day after. Fortunately, the contract with her company has not been renewed so she will soon be gone.

by Anonymousreply 188April 22, 2018 4:45 AM

R181. I totally agree with you! It IS over the top! Sounds like you are trying to get in touch with someone who's child just died or something! I also can't stand when people say "folks" all the time.

by Anonymousreply 189April 22, 2018 6:22 AM

R145...

“It never occurred to me you could be a jerk in a wheelchair.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190April 22, 2018 4:03 PM

I have a co-worker who would still be making pennies if it weren't for me taking a liking to him and recommending him for a promotion to my old job. I knew it was a mistake right away when as soon as he got promoted, he acted like we were equals and began trying to take over my meetings. Then, he wanted us to figure out how to "get rid of" my other co-workers so that we could ensure our job security. Finally, he began claiming to all that "we" worked on things that were done by me alone before he ever got into his job. I watch him "bob" around like the eager beaver that he is knowing that he is a backstabbing cunt. My only joy is knowing that his only friend left at work is an equally backstabbing jerk who is evil incarnate.

by Anonymousreply 191April 23, 2018 2:13 AM

I hope the next person you do that too, r142, takes out a gun and shoots you on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 192April 23, 2018 6:59 AM

R192 uses tears to get what she wants

by Anonymousreply 193April 23, 2018 1:11 PM

I hate buzz words.

by Anonymousreply 194April 23, 2018 6:45 PM

R167, R131 & R168 I'm the one who posted about Vile Michelle. About a week after she put up the lion picture, I googled pictures of "killer sheep" and a group of sheep with snarling wolves faces popped up so I printed it out and hung it on the fridge in the employee kitchen. She took her picture down within an hour. (Sorry I have picture posting issues, but if someone else could google killer sheep and post it? It is hilarious and did the trick.)

by Anonymousreply 195April 23, 2018 8:09 PM

crying at work should be against the law...you want the "metoo movement"...then quite crying and get to work

by Anonymousreply 196April 25, 2018 8:49 PM

Like this, r195?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197April 25, 2018 9:33 PM

I worked at a company for 20 years and refused to go to any functions, including the staff Xmas dinner. I was low key loathed by everyone there by the time I left.

by Anonymousreply 198April 30, 2018 2:01 AM

There is a 28 year old millennial in my office who giggles/guffaws constantly. Like every 30 seconds. He rarely works and would rather spend the day socializing, talking about fashion, or just behaving like a moron. It's an open floor plan and he is SOOOOOO loud that I can't believe he has no awareness about how unprofessional he is. He also thinks he is gorgeous, but he's also wrong on that count. I think the laughing over nothing is for attention - but it is not cute, coy or even endearing.

I want to tell his manager how he is annoying many in the office, but I don't think that would help.

by Anonymousreply 199October 9, 2018 10:10 PM

Earthy pretty young woman. Makes a big show of being ecologically aware. Brings a GLASS storage bowl of couscous and a tiny metal spoon. Clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink

by Anonymousreply 200October 9, 2018 10:31 PM

When my boss again offered to “help” me with a project that is supposed to be all his. I’m just not going to do it. I’m more valuable to the company than my boss is so I’m not too worried. Just ANNOYED.

by Anonymousreply 201October 9, 2018 10:40 PM

Close enough R197! Thanks. I worked with a woman who wore camo everything and even had camo fake nails. She had a horrible nasal Illinois accent and scream sneezed constantly. AAAAAAAAA-CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-UHHHH. (in the horrible accent). It was ecstasy when she was fired for being lazy and insubordinate.

by Anonymousreply 202October 10, 2018 4:53 PM

I had an awful coworker who was very recently fired (thank god). Clearly lied on her resumé about most of her skills, as she couldn't manage a single fucking project in a role requiring exactly that. Highlights of her work performance include: the time she inquired about the nature of the caps lock key, staying busy by sending emails, making a follow up call about said emails, then printing literally every email ever sent and received. She spent about an hour every morning making her rounds, interrupting conversations, and discussing how "busy" she was. Also, was a chronic buzzword user. Gotta get that "low hanging fruit!" Naturally, she had the temerity to constantly criticize others' work.

She basically shuffled papers for a year. Literally. Also, sounded like Carol Channing.

by Anonymousreply 203October 10, 2018 7:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!