Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Gay men in Canada live with daily violence unimaginable to straight people"

When you are a gay man in Canada, you can't speak certain uneasy truths to heterosexuals, even your liberal, educated straight friends – okay, especially to your liberal, educated straight friends. And No. 1 on that list is that homophobia, violent, ugly, good old-fashioned homophobia, is alive and thriving in our liberal, educated country.

Goodhearted straight people simply won't believe you. Everybody has gay friends now. Gays are on TV. We're so accepted, we're no longer an en vogue minority. What fortunate days! Gay men in Canada live in a time and place where our sexuality is of so little concern that it's actually boring. It's just dreamy, our little bubble – and a damned lie.

MORE AT LINK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2018 4:07 AM

Gay pride is not just a parade, it is an attitude.

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2018 1:49 AM

I don't understand, why are people so closed minded?

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2018 1:50 AM

[quote] I don't understand, why are people so closed minded?

You've got to be taught before it's too late,

Before you are six or seven or eight

To hate all the people your relatives hate.

You've got to be carefully taught.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2018 1:52 AM

Nonsense. Gay people in Canada have it great.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2018 1:54 AM

Yes battered wives and child brides know nothing of daily violence. Gay bashing is wrong, but no one has the monopoly on violence. It's not a competition.

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2018 1:55 AM

Hyperbole

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2018 1:57 AM

Gay men have it SO much better in most African countries, Indonesia, most of the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2018 1:58 AM

about the author -

[quote]Richard Murray Vaughan is a Canadian poet, novelist and playwright. Born in Saint John, New Brunswick, Vaughan is a graduate of the creative writing program at the University of New Brunswick. Vaughan currently lives in Toronto. Wikipedia

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2018 2:02 AM

He sounds exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2018 2:03 AM

WTH has happened to Canada? They used to be so nice and polite.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2018 2:06 AM

Drama queen trying to sell her "creative writing".

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2018 2:06 AM

I am a gay man born and living in Canada and I do not have to live with "daily violence unimaginable". In fact I have a pretty good life.

The author means well but is obviously a drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2018 2:07 AM

R10 Most of us still are.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2018 2:08 AM

Jesus. Imagine being stuck in a conversation with this guy at a party.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2018 2:10 AM

He's appears to be upset at one point because he "can't pass for straight'

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2018 2:12 AM

The writer of the article is from a teeny little hick town. Toronto is the opposite of that. He's a dumb old twit.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2018 2:13 AM

I love how gay men murdered by a gay man is the fault of straight people and homophobia

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2018 2:15 AM

The Alt-Right types in Canada refer to the Toronto serial killings as "gay on gay violence". The police systematically ignored the gay community's concerns that gay men were going missing.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2018 2:16 AM

I thought Canada was this amazing liberal utopia filled with diversity and love and Justin Trudeau's quirky socks.

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2018 2:19 AM

Canada is a utopia. This can't be true.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2018 2:21 AM

[quote]Justin Trudeau's quirky socks.

She was my favorite on [italic]Family Ties[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2018 2:22 AM

R18 Well if gay people are killing gay people then it IS gay on gay violence.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2018 2:22 AM

I live in the deep south, USA. And I don't fear daily violence. Not even close

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2018 2:24 AM

His perspective strikes me as that of a 'village gay', the type that lives in a gay ghetto, and everything is analyzed through a gay prism until some homophobic injustice can be found, or at least manufactured

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2018 2:39 AM

r18 They also ignored women's concerns about the Highway of Tears, IPs concerns about reserve conditions and racist LEOS, and rural farmers concerns about being repeatedly targeted by thieves, etc.

The 1% corporate elite love it when people write columns like this because it allows them to divide and conquer.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2018 3:24 AM

What R19 said.

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2018 3:30 AM

r26 The cities are better compared to the US, but our smaller and/or rural areas are, pardon the phrase complete shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2018 3:35 AM

R27 No they're not. They are like a throwback to a different era. A charming innocence.

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2018 3:53 AM

r28 where do you live? Seriously.

Wait, I think I'll read that as sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2018 3:54 AM

Ah..No one has thrown me off a roof or denied to make a cake for me and my partner or shot up a club...yet

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2018 4:00 AM

R29 I was born on a farm in Southern Ontario and then later raised in a small town. These areas are still lovely and relatively unscathed by our fast moving times.

I live in a city now but have fond memories of the farm/rural area and the small town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2018 4:01 AM

I don't know how you cope, OP.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2018 4:08 AM

R24 has a point. I stopped participating in local gay activism directly because of this attitude. I’d had enough when a random remark about a local am-dram group putting on a production of Annie descended into a discussion of whether it was intrinsically homophobic.

I still don’t know to this day why anyone thought that but it made me realise what had been a very necessary watchdog organisation had become a victimhood enabling cult. Every little fucking thing was being picked apart and found wanting by uneducated and unintelligent drama addicts. The irony was those who saw offence everywhere had never experienced any real homophobia. It’s like they feel left out because they secretly know they have never had a struggle and envy those who do.

by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2018 4:11 AM

The killer was gay, though, so it is hard to put gay men as a victim class using this case.

It is true that violence against gay men is common - sexual orientation is the group most overrepresented in Canada's hate crime stats, and almost everyone victimized in such crimes is male. But the gay serial killer story doesn't work as an illustration of this fact.

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2018 11:49 AM

R34 and it wasn't like he was closeted or tormented. He was out and open

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2018 12:45 PM

Sometimes a psychopath is just a psychopath and sexual orientation has nothing to do with the crimes. If he was out and open maybe the people he came across most often were other gay men so that’s who he killed. I don’t know of course but it’s as reasonable as anything else.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2018 2:05 PM

Oh no R36. You can't pick and choose when gay comes into things. If a gay person kills a gay person, it's gay on gay violence. Don't deny it and try to pin it on straights.

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2018 2:23 PM

R37 huh? I think u must of misread R36

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2018 3:41 PM

R38 don’t try to reason with him, he’s the only one I’ve got on ignore so that means he’s the crazy MRA anti-choice misogynist spamming threads with pictures of aborted foetuses. Because gay men are exactly the audience for this kind of oppressive crazy....

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2018 8:16 PM

I think a lot of you are missing the point. This point is, many people in the gay community alerted the police that gay men were going missing, and those concerns were dismissed by the police. So yes, homophobia did contribute to this tragedy. Remember when one of Dahmer's victims went to a police station for help and the cops sent the terrified bleeding boy back to Dahmer because they didn't want to get involved with "gay drama"?

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2018 8:23 PM

This is a writer's self-promotion. But he must be tiresome to be around. He is pitching himself to be the voice of imagined victims. As someone already pointed out, there are plenty of genuine victims out there who don't use such hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2018 9:27 PM

one gay serial killer does not mean that all of us in canada are going to die

by Anonymousreply 42February 13, 2018 4:02 AM

Everybody dies someday.

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2018 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!