Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Monster Movie mag editor Forty Ackerman was a pedophile and a pervert!

Who, you may ask? Forrest J. Ackerman was the publisher of Famous Monsters, a magazine that was very important to youth from the late fifties right into the early eighties. He was a beloved figure, called Uncle Forry by many of his fans. But he always had a creepy dirty old man look about him. Now the truth is out- Ackerman was a vile human being. From a film forum dedicated to classic horror films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2018 5:03 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2018 11:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2018 11:49 PM

I'm not surprised. he always creeped me out! But loved the magazine.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2018 11:56 PM

He should have been called Uncle Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 4February 8, 2018 12:00 AM

I went to check out the Scarlet Street forums, and they seem to have become defunct (very sadly). He was practically worshipped there.

by Anonymousreply 5February 8, 2018 12:08 AM

He may have been a creep but that forum offers no evidence supporting it. Just some film nerd gossip and some woman saying he touched my boobie but doesn't say when or where it happened.

by Anonymousreply 6February 8, 2018 12:12 AM

Read the thread again, R6. There's a lot of corroborating evidence from eyewitnesses. There's been talk about what a creep this guy was for years, but it was covered up his sycophants(the biggest one who is friends with Bryan Singer and posted photos on Facebook of Singer and him with some teenage boys). I'm glad it's out, but the aspies in science fiction fandom hero worship this clown, and they'll cover up and make more excuses for him than the deplorables do for Cheeto.

by Anonymousreply 7February 8, 2018 4:45 AM

As much as I have an issue with the folks who run that board -- they helped a guy scam the film and collectibles community about a decade ago -- the people who post their know their stuff.

If they have stories about Ackerman, they're almost certainly not lying.

Unfortunately the science fiction community really aided and abetted people like Forry, so these stories sadly don't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 8February 8, 2018 4:54 AM

* post there

by Anonymousreply 9February 8, 2018 4:54 AM

I'd like to see what was in those Manila envelopes he mailed out.

by Anonymousreply 10February 8, 2018 4:55 AM

I’ll BET you would.

by Anonymousreply 11February 8, 2018 5:24 AM

Another piece about Ackerman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 8, 2018 5:42 AM

The founder of DragonCon was also a kiddie fiddler. What the fuck is it with some of these sci-fi/fantasy types that makes them think this is ever okay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 8, 2018 6:28 AM

This has a link to an article about how Toronto police responded to sex criminals who go after kids. All but one of the ones they caught had [italic]Star Trek[/italic] paraphernalia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 8, 2018 6:45 AM

[quote]I'd like to see what was in those Manila envelopes he mailed out.

Holy shit, Mark Salling is posting from beyond the grave!

by Anonymousreply 15February 8, 2018 8:00 AM

So your sources is a fucking bizarre article (and rather nasty) from Slate and that fucking wing nut Vox Day? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if this was true, but get better sources, Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 16February 8, 2018 8:48 AM

R12's article is indeed bullshit.

Vox Day is a far right Nazi who has said the Holocaust was a good idea and that blacks are less evolved than whites. He got kicked out of pretty much everything sci-fi related because of his constant harassment and trolling, so what he does now is sit on his blog saying "fandom is all liberals and because liberals are immoral, they help rapists and pedophiles commit their crimes."

To that end, he will take some established facts and mix them with tons of invective and outlandish claims. That's what you get in r12.

Back in my LiveJournal days I filed a police report against a commenter on his site because Vox Day had listed me, for whatever reason, as defending a pedo. (I'd done nothing but explain on a friend's blog how editing a post in WordPress works.) The commenter tried doxxing me and outlined a plan to murder me. I am not even close to the only one who has dealt with that.

R12 is an asshole for linking to VD.

However, that's not the only proof. There are witness accounts and I'm unsure why r16 thinks Slate is just a nasty blog.

by Anonymousreply 17February 8, 2018 9:09 AM

Sorry, I had no idea who or what Vox was when I posted it. My original source is the thread from a movie board where victims and witnesses talk about what they saw and heard. About as reliable as you can get, the original sources. Plus many people(including myself) had heard about Ackerman's antics for years, but we never knew the extent of his villainy. I think those who want to defend the old perv are either as emotionally stunted as so many in "fandom" are, or they're people who make money off of the Ackerman legacy.

by Anonymousreply 18February 8, 2018 6:43 PM

I do believe that many of these science fiction icons are sick individuals with personality disorders. We're talking about Ackerman, but Isaac Asimov was a pervert who molested women and rumors are that he was also a kiddy diddler and a closet gay. Julie Schwartz, another sci-fi fandom founder and editor of Superman and Batman comics in the sixties and seventies, was a serial abuser of women. Arthur C. Clarke lived in Thailand so he could have access to all of the little boys he raped.

Extremely sad and sick.

by Anonymousreply 19February 8, 2018 6:51 PM

R18 Fair enough, but plenty of people are not emotionally stunted in fandom, nor are they all pedos, I think it is wrong and unfair to target everyone with the same brush. The claims seem to be coming from reputable people, message board or not, I believe them, just to be clear.

by Anonymousreply 20February 8, 2018 8:06 PM

*tar, not target.

by Anonymousreply 21February 8, 2018 8:07 PM

I was in fandom most of my adult life and, as much as it pains me to say it, most people in fandom are indeed emotionally stunted. It's impossible to be a relatively socialized human being and still exist comfortably within fandom. Once you get out into the non-fandom world, it becomes clear that behavior in fandom that is accepted as normal is anything but.

I'm not joking when I say I had multiple people physically threaten me in fandom; it wasn't just VD's followers. It was constant, aggressive and deliberate, and done toward anyone who wasn't a slashfic-writing, humorless nerd who valued loyalty above decency.

And the homophobia? Do not even get me started. Gay male sf/f celebs are still closeted and in lavender marriages because fandom hates gays, unless they're fictional and in slashfic, existing only for emotionally stunted ladies to jerk off to.

Did people like Forry take advantage of the scene back when it was even more dysfunctional than it is today? Hell yeah they did, and they were given a pass.

by Anonymousreply 22February 8, 2018 8:57 PM

Take it from someone who knows, R22, it's scary when Disney fandom is one of the least homophobic fandoms online.

by Anonymousreply 23February 8, 2018 8:59 PM

[quote] Arthur C. Clarke lived in Thailand so he could have access to all of the little boys he raped. Extremely sad and sick.

That and [italic]Lolita[/italic] are starting to make me wonder about Kubrick.

by Anonymousreply 24February 8, 2018 9:00 PM

At least he wasn't gay.

by Anonymousreply 25February 8, 2018 9:11 PM

I'd rather have Mike fucking Pence.

by Anonymousreply 26February 8, 2018 9:13 PM

R14 - I’ve also been in fandom most of my adult life. Only Down Under rather than in the US. But been to numerous American and British cons since the late seventies.

I’m not sure the level of homophobia in fandom here was any different to the attitudes of the general public over the years - and if anything - I’ve always found f&sf fans more accepting of different lifestyles and backgrounds. Mostly. With some notable exceptions.

I’ve rareky seen any evidence of people out to exploit younger fans at cons here either - tho I’m sure it has happened. And there certainly were several cases I remember of older male fans with teenage girl partners they met through cons and fandom. But they were all of legal age as far as I was aware.

The notable expection were a couple of cases in media-fandom. A guy used to collect film and had a selection of trek classic episodes he’d acquired and used to run Star Trek marathons back in the late seventies and early eighties. I know he hit on at least one young teen fan but was rebuffed when the boy realised what the agenda was. Otherwise, the film marathon man always had a young lad in tow at all times - many different ones - few lasted long! - but think most would have been close to or just legal age. Mostly they were rent boys and homeless giys he met at one of the inner city bars popular with chicken hawks. Bars who didn’t - back then! - check IDs very often. Marathon Man had died by the early nineties out of memory. He was a sleaze on the fringes of fandom rather than a part of it himself.

Also heard some stuff about the young male doctor who fans o er the years - a few older gay guys seem to be involved there. But again - rumours are most of the boys are legal. Just. (Heard a lot over the years tho about Dr Who fandom in the UK - and gather that infamous DW producer was notorious for using fandom as a chicken hawk smorgasbord - surprised there’s not a thread about it somewhere already...?)

Never know what to make of the Arthur C. Clarke allegations. He was a gay man, and lived closeted for most of his life - which most did then as homosexuality was still illegal. In later life he settled in Sri Lanka and had a long term partnership with a local man. The man was much younger than him. But there doesn’t seem to have been accusations of ‘rape’ that a previous poster mentioned. The man’s family became close to Clarke and appear to have been set up financially, and they speak of Clarke with great affection. Didn’t know the young man was under age at all - he was a teenager rather than a child. But over the years - information has been sparse. Just lots of innuendo. Be nice to give him the benefit of the doubt...

I only found out relatively recently about the whole business with Marion Zimmerman Bradley’s former husband and the whole ‘Breendoggle’ scandal about him that divided American SF fandom for ages - and yet I’ve been in and around fandom for years. I guess people were more inclined to be discreet and bury matters they thought of as unsavoury back then? And without the benefit of the web and being able to do a quick google search - things would be very hard to uncover without solid research at a library or somewhere.

I guess there’s many more stories out there still waiting to see the light of day...

by Anonymousreply 27February 8, 2018 10:39 PM

Here's a story about Rupert Murdoch covering up Clarke's pedophilia because he was his personal friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 9, 2018 1:53 AM

In the early seventies, Ackerman put out a magazine about a 14 year old girl named Heidi Saha. The magazine is full of questionable captions on photos of Heidi by Ackerman. Everything about this man screams "pervert!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 9, 2018 5:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 11, 2018 4:57 AM

Growing up, an older cousin going away to college, gave me his collection of Famous Monsters Of Filmland. (Also Mad mag, but that's another story.)

I'd always loved the old b/w Universal horror films from the 30s and 40s but it was incredible to read the back stories from the filming and associated trivia.

Sad if the publisher was a perv.

by Anonymousreply 31February 11, 2018 5:16 AM

Wow R28! - that link to Newser - whatever that maybe! - and it’s link to the independent - prove it conclusively. Absolutely no doubt.

Top quality journalism from totally reliable source(s).

C’mon - if I’m gonna see someone I respect have their reputation smashed - then I’d like something a little bit more researched with some actual provenance. That comes across at about the level of National Enquirer.

by Anonymousreply 32February 11, 2018 6:40 AM

Just ignore it, r32. That's what you want to do, and no one cares if you believe any of this or not.

by Anonymousreply 33February 11, 2018 7:09 AM

R32 must be one of those maladjusted misfits who hasn't matured a bit since 1974. He probably still thinks that Liberace was in love with Sonja Henie.

by Anonymousreply 34February 11, 2018 5:32 PM

Best part of R28's link:

[quote]Clarke died at his Sri Lanka home four years ago.

Sri Lanka, destination #1 for the child sex tours.

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2018 8:23 AM

LOL at this comment in the article R12 posted:

[quote]34. Michael Buck February 05, 2018 2:24 PM At least Forry liked women. I wonder when similar outrage will be directed toward Trannies and Homos, who are far more perverse and dangerous nutjobs but whose delusions we eagerly enable by celebrating their "specialness"..

"He may have been a child molesting creep, but at least he targeted girls instead of boys." I guess being a child molester is one step above being gay, too. And WE'RE supposedly the perverse and dangerous nutjobs.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2018 12:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37February 17, 2018 5:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!