Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Before Sunrise

What a pretentious movie.

I just happened to catch it over the weekend, and it was almost as if Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy were ad libbing their lines.

Much of the dialogue (and acting) seemed impromptu and made up, sort of like a reality show.

How did this movie ever become so popular?

I have to admit though, Ethan Hawke was very handsome in this movie, albeit annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 12:18 AM

Here's the full movie, if anyone can stomach it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2018 10:36 PM

Its a slight movie, I don't think its very pretentious, just not very deep. Talk talk talk. I remember it as pleasant.

Hawke was cast as the imperfect one in Gattaca. Jude Law was beautifully lit but I thought the cleaned up Hawke was sexy. He's like a cute boy next door, not too classy, grown up. I wonder if he's a hot fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2018 10:51 PM

I'm sure 27 Dresses will be back on real soon, OP.

You have time to run to McD's for your 40 piece before it starts!

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2018 10:52 PM

I think a lot of the dialogue was ad-libbed.

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2018 3:08 AM

I love all three movies in the trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2018 3:30 AM

Ethan Hawke is a very cute dilf. He used to live in my neighborhood and I would see him all the time. He worked out at my gym. I was on the treadmill running next to him once and he farted. It had to be him . It smelled like hot fries.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2018 3:30 AM

[Linklater when asked about improvisation in Before Sunrise (1995)]: "It's a compliment when people think it's [the Sunrise trilogy] improvised, but I don't think anyone could ever understand how much work it is for them [Delpy and Hawke]." Delpy also explained the lack of improvisation. "The truth of these movies is, they are tediously rehearsed, every detail planned, every overlapping line scripted," she told the Chicago Tribune in 2013. "It's so precise that it's almost a joke when people think we are acting off the cuff."

In 2012, Hawke told The Guardian he and Delpy performed "controlled improvs" about what Jesse could say to convince her to come with him. Delpy mentioned Celine would only get off the train for someone who was funny and smart. "We finally came up with this idea that I was a time traveler," Hawke said. "She was like, 'Okay, that I would get off the train for.'"

by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2018 3:32 AM

Are you kidding me? I love this movie!

So beautifully written and acted...the entire trilogy.

Of course, this would give Linklater the idea to film "Boyhood" which, unlike the Before series, was a pretentious piece of crap that said absolutely nothing.

But this? I couldn't disagree more. I could go on and on about why this film is great, but I know it would be pointless, so we'll just agree to disagree.

Very surreal to see Delphy and Hawke age over 20 years. Ethan was so fresh-faced in his 20s, but looked seriously gaunt in Before Sunset, but looked better in Before Midnight.

Julie was radiant in the first two films, but age caught up with her in the 3rd.

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2018 3:41 AM

Hawke was very cute -- before the meth.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2018 3:46 AM

is that what happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2018 3:48 AM

he was suddenly a grizzled Willem Dafoe type.

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2018 3:49 AM

You nailed it R9

I was shocked at how he looked in the sequel, only 10 years later. He looked like he aged 30 years. Meth use would explain it in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2018 3:56 AM

I think he stopped meth and brought himself back from the abyss. He got new teeth and looked much better.

by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2018 4:07 AM

The first two are perfection. The third had wonderful elements, but didn't quite sparkle like the other two. I hope there will be a fourth in in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2018 4:15 AM

I found Before Sunrise mesmerizing, chiefly because I experienced a similar chance encounter with a stranger. Mine was in 1981. He was 19 and English, I was 17. We struck up a conversation on an overnight train to Copenhagen then talked for hours. At the station in CPH, we tried to say good-bye but a long time into it, we realized we were not going to go our separate ways just yet. He was supposed to meet up with his uncle and family at a hotel, I had plans to meet some high school friends and go to Tivoli.

We spent an unforgettable day walking around Copenhagen, taking a bus to see the little mermaid, taking a tour of the Carlsberg brewery and royal palace, had breakfast and lunch together, went shopping and got pictures taken in a carnival-type photo booth. We agreed to part ways at 8 PM, and we did. We did not exchange any contact information and I have never had contact with him since then. In the moment, I knew it was something I would remember forever and it was surreal. In retrospect, I recall that we really did not talk about our pasts; it was all about what we wanted to do and be in the future.

While the movie did not reflect exactly my experience, the movie's overarching sense of experiencing something special and magical was evident to me in spades.

That said, Ethan Hawke was a heavy smoker. I caught a movie at the old Beverly Center cineplex in the late 90's. He came in alone and sat a row in front of me, and he reeked of cigarette smoke. After the movie, we were in the same elevator to the parking. He lit up as soon as the door opened. He also had seriously a pock-marked face from, I suspect, seborrheic acne.

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2018 4:18 AM

The first two were good and had memorable scenes, but the third one was complete shit from beginning to end.

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2018 4:28 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2018 10:58 PM

I love the entire trilogy, and am hoping for another installment in 2022. Before Midnight was brutal, though.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 11:55 PM

It's sort of like the 90s version of My Dinner With Andre

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2018 12:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!