Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Bette Midler's big career in movies over? Could she make a comeback to the silver screen in her senior years?

As so many actresses previously have had a renaissance onscreen in later years? Or was Beaches her film career high and its pretty much over now?

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2018 4:18 AM

All Bette Midler needs to turn in an award winning performance is a good director who can reign her in.....shes usually too over the top and playing to the balcony. Same with a good comedic role....

by Anonymousreply 1February 6, 2018 8:22 PM

She's had her time in the spotlight. She's done now.

by Anonymousreply 2February 6, 2018 8:25 PM

The woman is in her 70s and has a career that spanned six decades.

She is like Cher; leave her the fuck alone as she will do whatever the fuck she likes.

by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2018 8:32 PM

She can play my mother in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2018 10:04 PM

Her latest film, about some tranny kid who wants to go to his school dance in a dress or something, went straight to the shit bin and didn't even get a release. I think she plays his mother, which is odd, since that womb dried up 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2018 10:06 PM

She can play Leona in a Beaches remake

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2018 10:49 PM

I’d like to see her do another comedy.

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2018 10:51 PM

That was Trudie Styler's directorial debut R5. Bette did it because Trudie is a good friend. It's not her movie. Her last starring movie was Parental Guidance and was a big hit at the Box Office.

It's time they gave Bette an honorary Oscar as well. She's gotten nothing so far: No Cecil B. no Kennedy Center Honor, no SAG honorary award.

by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2018 10:52 PM

[quote]Her latest film, about some tranny kid who wants to go to his school dance in a dress or something, went straight to the shit bin and didn't even get a release. I think she plays his mother, which is odd, since that womb dried up 30 years ago.

Now I understand why she and Barry Manilow aren't speaking.

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2018 10:54 PM

Watch Freak Show 2017 here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2018 10:57 PM

I wouldn't even watch it for free, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2018 11:15 PM

Perhaps Bette is an inevitable victim of Hollywood ageism?

by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2018 11:16 PM

She turned down Mama Morton in ‘Chicago’ and accepted a second fiddle part in that dreadful Stepford Wives reboot!

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2018 11:20 PM

She tweeted in the last couple of weeks that women shouldn't shave or wax their snatches anymore.

Definitely onset dementia.

by Anonymousreply 14February 6, 2018 11:23 PM

God, she would have been so much better than Latifah, BUT- Marshall was making the kind of movie where Latifah was more appropriate for Mama Morton than Bette.

by Anonymousreply 15February 6, 2018 11:27 PM

r11, the lead is poorly cast and it is a boring little movie.

by Anonymousreply 16February 6, 2018 11:29 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 17February 6, 2018 11:30 PM

She can do anything with enough smoke and mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 18February 6, 2018 11:34 PM

Bette has seemed so joyless for years. Just no fun anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19February 6, 2018 11:51 PM

R15 Marshall wanted Kathy Bates for the role, he’d worked with her on Annie. It was Harvey Weinstein who wanted Latifa in the part. But Bette Midler was first choice and flat out turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 20February 6, 2018 11:54 PM

Kathy Bates would have been good, too, and would have fit in better than Midler. I didn't mind Latifah. She was fine (but she sue as fuck didn't deserve an Oscar nomination), but that role can be played a lot bawdier (and more memorable) than Latifah did. But Latifah isn't much of an actress to begin with. I think Bates would have been the great median between Midler and Latifah.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2018 12:26 AM

Have you seen Bette in the trailer for Freak Show? She looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2018 12:46 AM

She's boring.

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2018 2:03 AM

Nobody wants to work with her again. She is awful on a TV or movie set.

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2018 3:15 AM

Why [R24]? What does she do?

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2018 4:32 AM

she'll be playing Mae West in the HBO movie which she's also producing. Glen Close is playing her sister.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2018 4:47 AM

[quote] Hell why are saying over she's Queen of the screen now

English is a hard language to learn.

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2018 4:55 AM

She's never been much of a dramatic actress (though she has her moments in "The Rose"). She is a wonderful comic actress, though.

But I don't see what she could really do now at past 70. What roles are there for elderly comic actresses, other than TV comedies?

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2018 4:57 AM

She was a flop on TV. Between her show and Gypsy, she stank up the screen.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2018 6:02 AM

She was amazing in The Rose, really fearless. She went balls out and committed 100%, didn't give a fuck about looking good. She could never do that again. She's far too vain and self conscious. She couldn't even get it right in For the Boys (of course it didn't help that the movie was a piece of shit with a terrible script). Yes, she's given some wonderful comedic performances (Ruthless People being the high point, another film where she said to hell w/ vanity), but she's too trapped in the Bette Midler mold to ever really do something like The Rose again.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2018 9:12 PM

She just got signed as one of the leads on the Tale of the Allergists wife with Sharon Stone which was a big hit on Broadway with multiple award nominations. If it's done well, I see another Golden Globe her future

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2018 2:20 PM

One so hopes. I've been over her since 1977 or so.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2018 2:37 PM

The issue I've always had with her is that her "spontaneity" is canned. She's not truly bawdy - she's too uptight and self-conscious for that. Same with Streisand. As another poster said more succinctly - "boring."

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2018 3:01 PM

Also, like an amateur, as an actress she plays attitudes as opposed to playing a character in the moment. She's not trained and it's dreadfully apparent where it counts. She's really not a very capable actress. Her Gypsy was one of the worst major performances ever captured on TV.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2018 3:05 PM

What R32 said. Please let her singing be over also.

Flyyyyyyy, Flyyyyyyyyyyy, flyyyyyyyyyyyyy fly high

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2018 3:06 PM

Does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 36February 24, 2018 4:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!