Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alan Ladd

Died at 50 of an accidental overdose of liquor and drugs. A couple of years earlier he suffered a gunshot wound to the chest, which he claimed was accidental. In his later years, he looked like an old bull-dyke. Any dish?

by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2018 10:39 PM

He was very short. Only dirt I know.

by Anonymousreply 1February 3, 2018 12:54 AM

For about 3 years he was absolutely THE IT BOY of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 2February 3, 2018 12:56 AM

Shut up about my secret daddy

by Anonymousreply 3February 3, 2018 1:04 AM

I thought the overdose was probably not accidental. He had a beautiful voice and body. Fairly short and taciturn, so was well partnered with blonde tiny Veronica. When filming with him, Sophia had to stand in a trench? Come back, Shane!.

by Anonymousreply 4February 3, 2018 1:04 AM

He was rumored to be gay, wasn't he?

by Anonymousreply 5February 3, 2018 1:06 AM

His older-than-him wife was his agent, and masterminded his career.

I bet she made him fuck her relentlessly every night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 3, 2018 1:07 AM

R6, you made me chuckle; you naughty, naughty boy.

by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2018 1:09 AM

Remember in "Rebel Without A Cause", Sal Mineo's gay character had a picture of Alan Ladd taped to his locker?

by Anonymousreply 8February 3, 2018 1:15 AM

He was so tall.

by Anonymousreply 9February 3, 2018 1:21 AM

His son David - Cheryl’s ex - was good looking when he was younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 3, 2018 1:22 AM

R8, The picture was there because Sal finally found someone shorter.

by Anonymousreply 11February 3, 2018 1:24 AM

So healthy looking!

by Anonymousreply 12February 3, 2018 1:26 AM

I got my first chubby seeing him sweating one afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 13February 3, 2018 1:31 AM

Mrs. Alan Ladd? That cunt wouldn't let me wear my little black dress in Don Loper's fashion show!

by Anonymousreply 14February 3, 2018 1:32 AM

Mrs. Alan Ladd resembled Mrs. Betty Rubble.

by Anonymousreply 15February 3, 2018 1:35 AM

R15 She looks like Louella Parsons, to me. (And who names their kid LOUELLA??)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 3, 2018 1:39 AM

Alan Ladd "discovered" Rory Calhoun, who was out riding horseback in the Hollywood Hills. Impressed with his looks and physique, Ladd invited Calhoun (then Francis McCown) home to meet his talent agent wife Sue Carol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 3, 2018 1:47 AM

The former Mrs. Alan Ladd, Jr. stole away songstress Brenda Russell's husband,

by Anonymousreply 18February 3, 2018 2:15 AM

R17 - oh Rory, he was a catch. Wasn't he famous for topping the gorgeous Guy Madison on a regular basis? Guy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 3, 2018 3:02 AM

In 1958 Alan and David played father and son in "The Proud Rebel," a quite good Western. OdH was in that, slender almost to gauntness.

by Anonymousreply 20February 3, 2018 4:58 AM

Alan Ladd was a sensitive, troubled man with a history of alcoholism. He was nothing like the tough, wily he-men he portrayed on film. The strain of keeping up that image must have been hell.

I don't think his marriage to Sue was a very happy one, either. He divorced his first wife, Marjorie "Midge" Ladd and married Sue because she was a powerful agent who could promote his career. He was her third husband - and her biggest client. They had two children together, David Ladd and Alana Ladd, who later married the radio host Michael Jackson. But it was more of a business arrangement beneficial to both parties than a true love match. Sue was fiercely protective of Alan's image. For example, her son and her daughter by their first marriages were never seen in fan magazine layouts in order to preserve the illusion of the perfect happy family.

Trivia: the song "Sweet Sue" was said to have been written for her in the 1920s when she was starring in movies as Sue Carol (her real name was Evelyn Lederer). She is pictured on the cover of the original sheet music.

by Anonymousreply 21February 3, 2018 6:19 AM

Oh, I just BET he was impressed with Rory Calhoun's looks and physique!

by Anonymousreply 22February 3, 2018 1:43 PM

Not sure what it is about Ladd but he definitely falls into that category of hugely popular Hollywood stars whose persona just hasn't aged very well.

by Anonymousreply 23February 3, 2018 2:01 PM

I have been told I bear a striking resemblance to Miss Cheryl Ladd, although my bosoms are perkier.

by Anonymousreply 24February 3, 2018 2:13 PM

[quote] (her real name was Evelyn Lederer)

Any relation?

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2018 3:53 PM

R25, I don't think so, but that was funny anyway.

by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2018 9:57 PM

He was an only child, born in 1913. When he was 3, his father died. When he was 6 and playing with matches, he burned down the house. When he was 24, his mother committed suicide by eating ant poison, possibly in front of him.

by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2018 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!