Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The latest version is a stark stage adaptation with a hunk who gets wet, shirtless (and nude?)

I'd tune in for the simulcast, but I hate Southern accents, particularly when British actors do them better than actual Southern people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81March 2, 2018 12:12 PM

Nude wet Brick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 1, 2018 9:18 PM

This play is back to front.

The penis scene happens in the first five minutes. The last hour is endless talk, talk, talk.

by Anonymousreply 2February 1, 2018 9:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 1, 2018 9:22 PM

Brick should be nude for the entire play.

by Anonymousreply 4February 1, 2018 9:29 PM

R4 No, his penis would shrivel during the endless talk, talk, talk.

by Anonymousreply 5February 1, 2018 9:32 PM

R5, it wouldn’t just be about the dong. He could present hole for Act II.

by Anonymousreply 6February 1, 2018 9:35 PM

I haven't a clue about either one of these twits, but neither can hold a candle to Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor, both of whom were at their peak of physical beauty.

Why bother with this dreck?

by Anonymousreply 7February 1, 2018 9:38 PM

But R7, this pale Englishman with the pointy ears actually presents penis while Paul kept his pants on.

by Anonymousreply 8February 1, 2018 9:40 PM

See-yeenah Millah is waaay ovuh the tawp with that accent.

by Anonymousreply 9February 1, 2018 9:45 PM

I could not bear to listen to Sienna Miller caterwauling del sur for three hours. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 10February 1, 2018 9:45 PM

Unless Brick was in the Royal Army or Marines, he would't have had a "Jack the Lad" tat.

by Anonymousreply 11February 1, 2018 9:47 PM

[quote]R7 Why bother with this dreck?

You think plays should never be revived?

by Anonymousreply 12February 1, 2018 9:58 PM

They shouldn't be revived with skinny men with pixie-ears and dopey skin-paint.

by Anonymousreply 13February 1, 2018 10:05 PM

[quote]R13 They shouldn't be revived with skinny men with pixie-ears and dopey skin-paint.

HEAR THAT, BROADWAY??

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2018 12:35 AM

This is a revival of the play not the movie. The reason to bother is that Taylor and Newman were never n the play - there were in an adaptation that change the play significantly.

Enjoy the movie but please don't think seeing the movie is anything similar to seeing the play. Two different stories.

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2018 1:08 AM

R15, most dullard DLers have never seen live theater.

But still. Yea, cover up the Brit tats if you're gonna go nude and play a U.S. Southerner.

This reminds me of the Brit stage-casting of the recent production of 'Gypsy,' starring Imedla Staunton. The accents were all over the place; annoying, ear-piercing and bizarre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2018 8:04 PM

Tits on a Cunt Hound's Woof

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2018 8:12 PM

Isn't Sienna Miller a shit actress?

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2018 8:29 PM

Please. 21st century tattoos on the male lead, 21st century stringy, limp hair on the female lead. I will not accept this! I just won't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2018 8:37 PM

Somewhere, Kevin Spacey's lamenting the fact that he can't be in this to harass Jack O'Connell.

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2018 8:42 PM

Melonville Players proudly presents...

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2018 9:01 PM

Would Brick have had an uncut prick?

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2018 10:04 PM

Tats are 21st century:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2018 10:44 PM

Moody:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2018 10:46 PM

R15 I've seen both play and movie versions and I say that they're pretty similar (except, of course, for Brick's predilection for cock).

But I agree with you that very few stage actors have the sex appeal of Taylor and Newman. In fact I reckon much of Tennessee Williams' success is due to the stars he attracted— such as Bankhead, Burton, Brando, Hepburn, Liz and Vivien!

by Anonymousreply 25February 3, 2018 1:24 AM

My favorite version was with Elizabeth Ashley as Maggie, and Keir Dullea as Brick, back in the mid '70s. It was the most spectacular thing I'd ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 3, 2018 1:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 3, 2018 3:58 AM

Yes, R18.

by Anonymousreply 28February 3, 2018 4:19 AM

R28 Liz didn't need to "act" to play Maggie the Cat. She was Maggie the Cat.

by Anonymousreply 29February 3, 2018 4:30 AM

Does ghost Skipper feature in this version too?

by Anonymousreply 30February 3, 2018 4:57 AM

R29 She had impotent husbands?

by Anonymousreply 31February 3, 2018 5:44 AM

cat shit on a hot tin roof.

by Anonymousreply 32February 3, 2018 11:08 AM

aint jack mcconnell the one who broke up angie and brad?

she fiddled with him....

by Anonymousreply 33February 3, 2018 11:13 AM

i'm gonna shit on your furniture!

by Anonymousreply 34February 3, 2018 11:16 AM

I saw the one with ScarJo and Meryl's ex son in law. Boring, dated, hokey mess. And if you add in English people doing their Hee Haw imitations....pass

by Anonymousreply 35February 3, 2018 11:21 AM

yup. i'm gonna drive straight over to your house and shit on every stick of furniture in your house. motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 36February 3, 2018 11:33 AM

Given their marital histories, could Liza or Judy have played Maggie?

by Anonymousreply 37February 3, 2018 4:09 PM

lol i love shittin'!

by Anonymousreply 38February 3, 2018 4:14 PM

My pussy has never been there and I am unanimous in that

by Anonymousreply 39February 3, 2018 4:27 PM

I actually think Sienna Miller is a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 40February 3, 2018 5:03 PM

It's probably better than the Natalie Wood/Robert Wagner/Laurence Olivier TV version.

Wood lacked fire, Wagner just can't act, and Olivier was too old and frail as BIg Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 41February 3, 2018 5:56 PM

I saw a live production of the play a long time ago. It was a long play, but I was spellbound, the entire time. I know the movie with Liz and Paul was 'tamed' according to the standards of the times, but it's still beautiful. The play itself, though, in the raw, is really something when the casting is fortuitous.

by Anonymousreply 42February 3, 2018 6:03 PM

The Angels in America broadcast had British actors doing impeccable American accents and Nathan Lane doing an unconvincing one as Roy Cohn.

But the trailer for this sounds as if none of these actors have ever even heard an American speak.

by Anonymousreply 43February 3, 2018 9:10 PM

R22 -- Brick's dick would likely have been cut in that era in the Delta because he likely would have been born in a hospital in Memphis under an OB-GYN's care, given the Pollitt's social caste and money.

This, as opposed to being born at home with a midwife or in a crummy county clinic or hospital.

by Anonymousreply 44February 3, 2018 9:23 PM

Wow that trailer was bad. The accents particularly. Brick looked more like a Chav than southern aristocracy.

by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2018 9:28 PM

British Theatre is in bad way.

Actually, World Theatre is in bad way. It's redundant in the 21st century.

Theatre belongs in a museum.

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2018 9:44 PM

Sienna.........WHOOOOOO????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2018 9:53 PM

Playbill:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2018 10:14 PM

Poor people along the Gulf Coast eat nutria.

They are colloquially and disparagingly called "nootra-eaters."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2018 11:40 PM

Tennessee Williams thought Elizabeth Ashley was the best Cat. And he disliked Barbara Bel Geddes in the role, who originated it.

That actor in R49 was be a good Brick if he shaved.

by Anonymousreply 50February 4, 2018 1:30 AM

[quote]Tennessee Williams thought Elizabeth Ashley was the best Cat.

He kind of liked any star he was around at the moment. He told every Blanche they were the best Blanche, for instance.

Williams did say the idia of Liz Taylor as Catherine in SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER struck him as ludicrous. He felt Liz would have given Cousin Sebastian a good shake and dragged him home by his ear.

by Anonymousreply 51February 4, 2018 6:40 AM

I don't think the producers of this play care about how we think their actors are ugly and inappropriate.

They're also doing a production of 'Julius Caesar' where Brutus is played by the decidedly UNbrutish, skinny little Ben Whishaw. And Cassius is played by a female.

by Anonymousreply 52February 9, 2018 9:21 PM

I can't see Bel Geddes in the role--she just wasn't sexy at all.

Ashley, you bet.

by Anonymousreply 53February 9, 2018 9:48 PM

Saw Kathleen Turner as Maggie. She was good but Charles Durning as Big Daddy was really good. Brian Hugh Kelly as Brick was lost between those two. I would have loved to have seen Ashley play Maggie. I've seen her twice on stage where she truly radiates a rare presence that her movie and TV work don't have.

by Anonymousreply 54February 9, 2018 10:06 PM

Did the National Theatre Live broadcast include the stage nudity?

by Anonymousreply 55February 9, 2018 10:59 PM

Is The National too cheap to hire a dialect coach?

by Anonymousreply 56February 10, 2018 12:11 AM

[quote] Brian Hugh Kelly as Brick

Do you mean DANIEL Hugh-Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 57February 10, 2018 12:38 AM

The National Theatre Live production won't play in my city until April.

by Anonymousreply 58February 10, 2018 12:45 AM

I disliked the film version. Newman underplayed to the point of monotony and it made Taylor come off as slightly lunatic.

I saw the Kathleen Turner production. Polly Holliday was Big Mama. That's all I have to say.

I think my first exposure to it was the Broadway on Showtime production with Jessica Lange and Tommy Lee Jones, but I remember nothing.

All in all, not my favorite Tennessee Williams.

by Anonymousreply 59February 10, 2018 12:57 AM

I saw Ashley do Vanities in Chicago with the dynamic Miss Lesley Ann Warren and the boisterous Miss Barbara Sharma.

by Anonymousreply 60February 10, 2018 1:02 AM

I saw the Sienna Miller-Jack O’Connell NT Live broadcast tonight. She was magnificent, a very natural Maggie. He was sexy and quite good also, although his accent slipped some. He looked quite lovely naked, from both the front and the back.

by Anonymousreply 61February 23, 2018 2:41 AM

Interview with Jack, including thoughts about being nude onstage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2018 2:47 AM

What will be the next nudity-enriched classic play? I vote for Romeo and Juliet.

by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2018 3:00 AM

Holy fuckin' shit I saw this last night. The very first shot was Jack O'Connell (Brick) spread wide open, a hunk of grade-A prime beef dangling between his legs. Let's just say that Jack O'Connell does NOT suffer from the curse of the Irish. Woof woof.

by Anonymousreply 64February 23, 2018 4:33 PM

R64, indeed. I hope it gets released to blu-ray eventually.

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2018 5:17 PM

You got that right r64!

by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2018 5:22 PM

Screencaps! Now! Cock shots!

by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2018 5:27 PM

It occurred to me that Cat on a Hot Tin Roof could be seen as a different view on A Streetcar Named Desire, with the genders reversed. Maggie is the aggressor, as Stanley was.

by Anonymousreply 68February 23, 2018 5:28 PM

Saw this last night. O'Connor was beautiful but a terrible actor as Brick. I can see why they wanted him naked a lot. No subtlety and all of his big lines were poorly delivered. Miller I thought was overall quite good. She blew ScarJo out of the water. Big Daddy was also good.

The accents on a Big Mama and Mae were terrible and cartoonish. Big Mama sounded like the Egg Lady from that John Waters movies. Her acting was decent but the voice was distracting.

The set was minimal but worked. The cake bit was kinda silly.

With a better Brick this could have been a really good production. Again, all the gratuitous nudity was a highlight.

by Anonymousreply 69February 23, 2018 7:01 PM

Even more than seeing his dick I enjoyed the very lengthy look at his ass in the shower. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2018 7:22 PM

[quote]What will be the next nudity-enriched classic play?

Hamlet. The "to be or not to be speech" will be done while Hamlet is undressing. Hamlet's penis with be the impetus that sends Ophelia into insanity. And of course, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern will be played in g-strings.

by Anonymousreply 71February 23, 2018 11:51 PM

dick pics now!

by Anonymousreply 72March 1, 2018 7:16 PM

Mr. O'Connell's shapely posterior completely upstages a lengthy Maggie monologue in Act One.

by Anonymousreply 73March 1, 2018 7:28 PM

Kazan wanted Bel Geddes because he knew she was insecure about her attractiveness and wanted that insecurity in the performance. Maggie is not only competing with the memory of Skipper but she's also dealing with her husband's sexual indifference to her because she's not sexually attractive enough. This brings a whole other layer of desperation.

By the way Brick's obsession with Skipper comes across very clearly in the movie and as something that would not be openly discussed at the time you can tell the other characters are clearly disconcerted by this obsession with a male friend. It doesn't need to be spelled out and it's more realistic and unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 74March 1, 2018 10:46 PM

I agree with 74. I love the movie version with Taylor and Newman. The lines are brilliant and they both deliver them in a more powerful way. And I think the movie ending is just as tragic as the play. Whether Maggie bribes him with liquor or not, is Brick really choosing to sleep with her? And when it all falls apart who is he going to blame?

"Are my seams straight?"

by Anonymousreply 75March 1, 2018 11:15 PM

[quote]What will be the next nudity-enriched classic play?

"The Women."

by Anonymousreply 76March 2, 2018 1:13 AM

Can I be brick next?

by Anonymousreply 77March 2, 2018 7:27 AM

Of course Brick would have foreskin.

The practice of genital mutilation began in Yankee country about 1960.

He would not have tragic tattoos or be so out of shape.

by Anonymousreply 78March 2, 2018 8:32 AM

R78 you think that Brick is out of shape? Huh?

Btw, this version of the play takes place in modern times. There are smartphones in it.

by Anonymousreply 79March 2, 2018 9:18 AM

[quote]The practice of genital mutilation began in Yankee country about 1960.

So not so. Maybe 1946, coinciding with the baby boom. I only saw one uncircumcised cock before I was in my 20s.

by Anonymousreply 80March 2, 2018 10:01 AM

My father is circumcised and he was born in 1936.

by Anonymousreply 81March 2, 2018 12:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!