Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tiffany Vazquez Out at TCM

Finally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 30, 2018 5:33 AM

Our brief national nightmare is over.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2018 4:20 PM

They're going to replace her with Tiffany Trump.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2018 4:21 PM

who dis

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2018 4:33 PM

THE WORST

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2018 4:37 PM

My final straw with this "film historian" was last week when she read off a card that Debbie Reynolds knew that Shirley MacClaine, a newcomer to films, would have many more opportunities in film if MacClaine didn't play the lead in The Unsinkable Molly Brown......which was produced after MacClaine had been in films NINE years and had three Best Actress Academy Award nominations.

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2018 4:40 PM

The hate mail must have been epic.

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2018 4:42 PM

Now if they'd just replace Ben M...

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2018 4:43 PM

Well, let's not celebrate too quickly here. Lord only knows what Goblin they're set to replace her with.

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2018 4:47 PM

There is a God!

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2018 4:47 PM

Now who will fans of vocal fry turn to?

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2018 4:49 PM

I thought you meant she came out as a lesbian. D'oh. She sure lost a lot of weight during her time on teevee.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2018 4:50 PM

Glass houses, R5...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2018 5:29 PM

What was so frustrating about her errors was that several years ago, Rob Zombie was basically fired from hosting Underground because of HIS errors. So they would fire the famous temp host but keep this lady on... why, exactly?

I just never warmed up to her. I guess they wanted to appeal to bloggers but none of them liked her, either, they just sucked up to her.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2018 6:09 PM

I'm sorry but who is this?

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2018 6:11 PM

Can someone fill me in, please

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2018 6:25 PM

Thank God! I couldn't stand her fried voice. So freaking annoying. I'm sure poor Robert Osborne was rolling over in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2018 6:34 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2018 6:43 PM

[quote]I'm sorry, but who is this?

[quote]Can someone fill me in, please

[quote]Who?

Just a wild guess, but maybe she was an on-air host on TCM?

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2018 6:58 PM

THANK YOU JESUS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2018 6:59 PM

Weekend daytime host - won the position in a CONTEST - no talent at all and they kept her on far too long.

by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2018 7:00 PM

I wonder if Illeana Douglas is willing to host...

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2018 7:03 PM

[quote]I'm sorry but who is this?

You mean you don’t spend all day watching Doris Day movies on an obscure basic cable channel?

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2018 7:05 PM

Good for her, she got an opportunity and took it, rode it out, is thankful for it, and gracious about it.

TCM picked a minority woman who spoke english and loves film. They tried. She tried. It was all ok.

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2018 7:05 PM

It really does remind you how old DLers are when you have a gaggle of them who watch TCM religiously.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2018 7:07 PM

Not necessarily, R24, I'd venture that most TCM watchers are watching because they like old movies for their content and style. While I was still a child I started watching movies that were made 50 years before I was born.

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2018 7:14 PM

Not only are you also on DL, R24, but you're commenting on a thread that doesn't interest you. What does that say about you?

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2018 7:15 PM

They'll probably put Eddie Muller in her time slot; not many west-coasters were getting up at 7am on Sunday just to watch his Noir Alley show.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2018 7:24 PM

Folks on the TCM.com message board must be ecstatic; the Tiffany hate over there was borderline pathological.

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2018 7:28 PM

Steve Hayes would be a good choice to bring onboard. His "Tired Old Queen at the Movies" posts on TouTube are informative and fun; but I imagine the TPTB at TCM probably think he's too "queeny."

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2018 7:31 PM

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2018 7:46 PM

Will Alec Baldwin replace her?

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2018 7:49 PM

They should bring back Lorraine Bracco. She was AMAZING when she filled in for Robert.

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2018 7:51 PM

“I don’t want to not-“ what the hell does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2018 7:51 PM

But but Robert Osborne liked me!!

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2018 7:53 PM

I am an old person but I started watching movies from the 20s - 30s when I was 13 on PBS. I loved them then and now. I think most TCM viewers have encyclopedic knowledge of movies just from being fans.

Tiffany was painful to watch on all counts. She knew nothing about the films she was hosting, She never bothered to memorize her cue cards. Her presentation was abysmal. Her voice work was the quality of a non union late night basic cable pitch host for a PI attorney. Scratch that, those NU late night hosts are better trained.

Her wardrobe and make-up improved slightly but nothing else.

Perhaps now she can follow her true calling as that of an Amway salesperson.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2018 8:10 PM

Another affirmative action hire.

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2018 8:11 PM

I went on the cruise last year. I sort of felt bad for her. The veterans hated her. (most of the people go every year.) It was mostly elderly people and then a few young film geeks like me. Anyway the elders would say terrible stuff about her.

They didn't really have her do too much. Mank, Illeana Douglas and the noir guy did most of the interviews. Tiffany only did one with Diane Baker whom she had trouble keeping on topic and Baker seemed nervous about her and plowed right over her to keep the conversation going.

The odd thing was how in all the flyers and stuff she was billed as like their major star along with Mankiewicz. (and then all the other guests were lower and in smaller print.) I heard some veteran who proudly had been on all the cruises tell Douglas that she should have had better billing. Douglas just sort of shrugged and said oh well what can you do. Douglas seemed pretty cool. She was the only one who would sort of chat in the halls and come up to people while they were waiting in lines and tell anecdotes and stuff. After turning over her luggage the last night she passed me and a few people waiting in line to do the same. She said my luggage gained five pounds and I'm afraid to check how much I gained. Then lamented that she doesn't think she'll ever again be in a place that had so much shrimp. (Disney Cruises seem to really have huge amounts of shrimp, bowls and bowls of them at every meal.)

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2018 8:11 PM

Good news! I’m available!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2018 8:35 PM

I'm ready to fill in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2018 8:43 PM

That’s too bad, R37. She’s a young person who’s into classic films, and there don’t seem to be very many of them anymore. Bringing her on for the Saturday shift was an attempt to reach a new audience. I was rooting for her.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2018 9:34 PM

TCM's demographics skew suprisingly young. Median age is 30 something.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2018 9:44 PM

Thank the fucking heavens, she was so awful, a complete imbecile! Bye dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2018 9:53 PM

TCM is doing well. They say their ratings were the highest ever last year.

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2018 10:14 PM

Lorraine Bracco seemed drunk at R39!

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2018 10:17 PM

Funny, I was just watching her today (guilty pleasure THE IMPOSSIBLE YEARS was on) and I thought how nice it was to see a younger person with a real interest in and passion for old films. No one is perfect but she was far from being a trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2018 10:39 PM

R30, you may have been joking but he wouldn't be a bad choice. AT least he knows old movies and could probably throw in some interesting gossip.

by Anonymousreply 46January 27, 2018 10:48 PM

That job is surprisingly hard to do. Really makes you appreciate Osborne and even Mank. I've seen people who are usually sort of articulate like Dave Karger and Dana Delaney just be so bland and sound like they are reading.

Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole were interesting hosts last year mostly because O'Toole had auditioned for practically ever film they showed and had inside stories of the process. McKean was terrible on facts though. He would just say so many things that were obviously mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 47January 28, 2018 2:39 AM

[quote]Funny, I was just watching her today (guilty pleasure THE IMPOSSIBLE YEARS was on) and I thought how nice it was to see a younger person with a real interest in and passion for old films. No one is perfect but she was far from being a trainwreck.

She's actually improved quite a bit since her debut. Personally I don't think the sacking had anything to do with her performance; I think it's just TCM cutting back on their budget, like a couple of years ago when they got rid of their "up next..." voiceover talent. Four regular hosts (one an A-list actor), plus the "Essentials" co-hosts, not to mention the occasional "Spotlight" guest-hosts, did seem a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 48January 28, 2018 2:50 AM

[quote]That job is surprisingly hard to do. Really makes you appreciate Osborne and even Mank. I've seen people who are usually sort of articulate like Dave Karger and Dana Delaney just be so bland and sound like they are reading.

I remember when Matthew Broderick was one of the fill-in hosts for Robert Osborne (before Ben took over full time); his reading of the cue cards was akin to that of a hostage reading a prepared statement with a gun to his head.

by Anonymousreply 49January 28, 2018 2:55 AM

Broderick is like that in most of the plays he does on Broadway too. What did SJP do to that man to make him the shell of a man he seems to be today?

by Anonymousreply 50January 28, 2018 3:01 AM

[quote] Four regular hosts (one an A-list actor)

who are the four regular hosts nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 51January 28, 2018 3:01 AM

Is she documented?

by Anonymousreply 52January 28, 2018 3:03 AM

I'm available!

AND IF YOU DON'T HIRE ME THEN FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKER!

by Anonymousreply 53January 28, 2018 3:10 AM

She was hired for diversity points.

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2018 3:22 AM

She won a contest to win. Her entry wasn't even that great. The way she tweeted that Robert Osborne liked her makes me think he wanted to hire her. Now that he has been gone a while they probably felt they could unload her.

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2018 3:29 AM

Who judged the contest, R55? I guess Robert Osborne was thinking with his dick.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2018 3:33 AM

r56 yes I am sure that was the reason.

by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2018 3:36 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 28, 2018 3:38 AM

[quote]who are the four regular hosts nowadays?

Tiffany, Ben M., Alec Baldwin, and Eddie Muller

by Anonymousreply 59January 28, 2018 3:53 AM

Several points here

R7. Ben is the sex god of TCM and Hollywood royalty.

R37. They have not had those cruises For srveral years now Its AMAZING you were on one just Last year.

R56 , I hardly think Robert O was thinking With his dick when they hired a woman. Especially since he was as GAY as a Judy Garland sing a long

by Anonymousreply 60January 28, 2018 3:58 AM

I think we have a troll who comes to every thread about old movies and calls everyone old.

by Anonymousreply 61January 28, 2018 4:01 AM

r60 The last cruise was in November of 2016, so just a little more than a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 62January 28, 2018 4:05 AM

Well, not several years, but the last TCM cruise was Nov 2016.

by Anonymousreply 63January 28, 2018 4:05 AM

[quote]It really does remind you how old DLers are when you have a gaggle of them who watch TCM religiously.

I can’t wait to retire and join them.

by Anonymousreply 64January 28, 2018 4:15 AM

R60, if Mr. Potato Head is your idea of a sex god, then I agree 100%.

by Anonymousreply 65January 28, 2018 4:39 AM

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me they don’t fact check or pre-prep the host’s work? That’s really reckless, makes TCM look careless and unprofessional. They should care about the host and help them succeed. Like a news channel, all information should be verified by the host as well as the station. Really weird way to run things.

INT. MUSEUM CONFERENCE ROOM. AFTERNOON -- CONTINUOUS. 63 Our camera moves into the room. SAGE Anyway, I think we have to cut her loose. She’s not what she sold herself as when we hired her.

Another member of the group LINDA ADDISON, 50 speaks up. Her breasts are oddly oversized and squeezed into a tiny top. LINDA I disagree. I think we should keep her for now. SAGE Why? LINDA Because she’s great. Because we all like her. She just needs our support. And a bit of time. SAMANTHA VAN HELSING, 45, interrupts Linda. Her face fills our screen. She is stretched and pulled to the extreme. Her lips are swollen and her general appearance is close to that of a burn victim. SAMANTHA But it’s not working. We need to fire her. There’s an awesome candidate that we could steal from the Hammer if we move fast. Susan is all of a sudden alert. SUSAN I agree with Linda. We hired her and we need to support her. The room is surprised by Susan’s response. Susan looks at Samantha. She is taken a back and looks at her almost as though she has never seen her before. SUSAN (CONT’D) New doctor? Samantha glares at her. SAMANTHA No. New haircut. SAGE But Susan, you were the one who brought this up last week. You wanted to make a change.

SUSAN Well, now I think we should keep her. She looks at Samantha’s swollen lips. SUSAN (CONT’D) Sometimes maybe it’s not a good idea to change things quite so much.

From Nocturnal Animals

by Anonymousreply 66January 28, 2018 5:47 AM

OMG, but she was Latina and everything !

by Anonymousreply 67January 28, 2018 5:53 AM

TCM should hire Steve Hayes, the "Tired Old Queen At The Movies" on YouTube, to do the intros. He's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 68January 28, 2018 8:50 PM

Miss Tiffany V. once said that she saw Robert Osborne on TCM and below his name was written Film Historian......she didn't even know there was such a job.

She's 30 years old and has a degree in International Studies from St Johns University and degree in Film Studies from NYU.

She did win a contest and hosted a movie with Osborne and then did another couple of things before she was hired as a permanent host.

Her makeup and hair got better as she went along, and she had a champion in Osborne.

She annoyed me by comparing a bunch of people watching a movie on TCM and communicating on social meeting as the SAME THING as seeing a movie in a theatre with a group of people. No - it's different. I think they have writers who write the intros - RO had his on during one nights when behind the scenes TCM people helped him intro some films. BUT I am sure RO fact checked everything he was handed to read. Tiffany either didn't do that, or someone was sabotaging her, but she said a lot of things that were just plain WRONG.

Ben's Hollywood bloodline and skinny jeans qualify him to be there....he is also quite knowledgeable from his own experience.

by Anonymousreply 69January 28, 2018 10:53 PM

Robert Osborne made mistakes several times that I remember, though nothing heinous, just dates or pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 70January 28, 2018 11:29 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 28, 2018 11:39 PM

I'll never forget the time "film historian" Tiffany pronounced Rod Steiger's name "Rod Steeger".

by Anonymousreply 72January 29, 2018 12:17 AM

R69 , THANK YOU , for validating Ben's Sexiness.

by Anonymousreply 73January 29, 2018 1:55 AM

Ben was married to a black woman. Now he is married to someone named Lee Russo...does that make Ben a gay?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 29, 2018 2:08 AM

Tiffany was a diversity hire, which is fine, and the first couple of months she was disastrous.

However, I think she improved GREATLY and was perfectly acceptable. Of course I may be missing something but I had no problem with her as an on-air personality once the kinks were worked out.

by Anonymousreply 75January 29, 2018 4:31 AM

You are most welcome R73. Ben is very easy on the eyes to be sure.

Yes he did R70. The funniest one to me was when Osborne pronounced Skip Homeier's name as: "Skip Homey-ay"........but he corrected it the next time he showed a Skip movie as "Hoe-myer."

by Anonymousreply 76January 29, 2018 6:53 PM

[quote] Wait a minute, you mean to tell me they don’t fact check or pre-prep the host’s work? T

Exactly. It's the showrunner's fault. Why do so many stars who guest host do so badly? Bad show runner.

And Alec Baldwin was obviously born with a hosting gene. He can host anything well.

by Anonymousreply 77January 29, 2018 7:40 PM

the people who made the most mistakes were McKean and Annette O'Toole. I haven't caught many other mistakes from other guest hosts.

To be fair McKean/O'Toole would just converse and then they'd air it. They weren't reading prepared stuff. They might not have wanted to correct each error since it would have meant editing their whole conversation.

Plus TCM seemed a little in limbo and confused how to proceed when Osborne was sick but hadn't died. They had to walk a delicate line. Until the end they were still saying he might come back.

by Anonymousreply 78January 29, 2018 8:52 PM

Ben is in heaven as #1. Giffany maybe was there so no one would outshine Ben before he got a handle on that awkward pause he struggled with midway through any intro etc. And sorry but how is it that everyone loves Alec Baldwin??? He has got to be the most predictable hollywood line tower or whatever with no original thoughts. The best was when Letterman called him a freak for thinking Clift was sexy LOL! It's so true.. these effeminate men poking their heads out of Elizabeth Taylor's bag that actors and 14 year olds have crushes on.. LOL!!

by Anonymousreply 79April 21, 2018 6:28 PM

The should bring back the older guy with grey hair, he seemed sweet.

by Anonymousreply 80April 21, 2018 6:40 PM

[80] LOL Are you being funny?

by Anonymousreply 81April 21, 2018 6:44 PM

I spoke with TCM people at the last fest and they told me Tiffany was let go because "she wasn't registering with audiences." I told them I can't stand the new girl, Alicia Malloy or something. Her voice is too high and they dress her in those frumpy outfits that make her look 10 lbs fatter than the 10 lbs the camera adds. Ah, but you see, she's whiter than snow so I guess she'll be staying. They should make her smoke three packs a day like they did Lauren Bacall to make her voice deeper and the hell with her health. And make her sound more 'murkan, for fuck's sake, as her accent is a challenge (my aunt says she can't understand anything she says). I like Eddie Muller in his film noir hay and I think Mank is getting better, looser, funnier. He's a smart guy who may not have the historical background Osborne had but could do well if he lets himself be himself. The gay kid, whatever his name, is good, too, but he was a bit cold in person. Or maybe he was just anxious meeting me. There are so many interesting film nerds in LA, you'd think they could come up with a better lineup.

by Anonymousreply 82August 29, 2018 5:45 AM

The girl with the Australian accent is terrible. She pronounces every ER like AH. I Caaannt staaannd hurrh!

by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2018 5:53 AM

Why does TCM hate Hispanics?

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2018 6:03 AM

Who was the nice older gentleman with the dignified voice? They should bring him back.

by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2018 6:11 AM

I like the line up right now.

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2018 6:18 AM

R83

Which is why IMO, the Australian accent is annoying as fuck, like nails on a blackboard.

by Anonymousreply 87August 30, 2018 5:19 AM

I think they should have older hosts. With Osborne it was like you were being taught about the films from a past era. Somebody like Peter Bogdonovitch would be good. Or William Friedkin.

by Anonymousreply 88August 30, 2018 5:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!